Cannonball!

Lewis River Trail

Anyone know the condition of the Lewis River Trail? Snow? Mud bog?

GEAUX TIGERS!!!
    LR is one of the few trails I have not ridden around here. If you or anyone knows that it is good to go then definitely post it. I would go in a heartbeat.

Singletrack Addict
    It is low enough that snow should be receding quickly, but it has been hammered in the past by high winds. With the wind we saw this winter, I imagine it is a wreck. But I think you should go check it out and report back here what you find.

Leave it all on the trail
    Lewis River is prolly melted, but that forest gets worked every winter and it takes a work party multiple trips to get that trail clear because the trees are so large! I wouldn't bother with that one just yet.

Siouxson shouold be getting close, but I might be a little fragile still.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I think last year Lewis wasnt rideable until mid/late June due to the massive amount of sh*t on the trail and the washed out section.

Hagen, Lewis is a must ride if you live in Portland, I usually ride it one way as far as I can then take the road back, usually 30 miles round trip. Its not the most technical or 'flowy' trail out there, but the geography, forest, and river are amazing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by amtbr
    I think last year Lewis wasnt rideable until mid/late June due to the massive amount of sh*t on the trail and the washed out section.

Hagen, Lewis is a must ride if you live in Portland, I usually ride it one way as far as I can then take the road back, usually 30 miles round trip. Its not the most technical or 'flowy' trail out there, but the geography, forest, and river are amazing.
    My favorite route is to park at curly creek and start there, then hit the road and cruise back. It's a good ride.

Cannonball!
    Decided to do Three Corner Rock, got about 1 hour in to it and got stopped by snow. Lower part of the trail was in good shape, further up there was quite a bit of snow and a few bigger blow downs.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by coiler-d
    Decided to do Three Corner Rock, got about 1 hour in to it and got stopped by snow. Lower part of the trail was in good shape, further up there was quite a bit of snow and a few bigger blow downs.
    Thanks for the report, this is the first winter/spring season that I haven't ridden 3CR yet due to low snow levels and what not. Good on ya for checking it out.

JG
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    How far did you make it?
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

Cannonball!
    I don't have a cycling computer or gps, but I would guess maybe about 3 miles. If you are familiar with the trail there is a pretty substantial rock cliff that you ride under, than the trail does a switchback and comes over the top of the cliff. This spot always looks like cougar country to me, we maid it maybe 1/4-1/2 mile past that. Maybe I should have counted the switchbacks from the bottom to where we turned around there were plenty!

mtbr member
    I don't have a cycling computer or gps, but I would guess maybe about 3 miles. If you are familiar with the trail there is a pretty substantial rock cliff that you ride under, than the trail does a switchback and comes over the top of the cliff. This spot always looks like cougar country to me, we maid it maybe 1/4-1/2 mile past that. Maybe I should have counted the switchbacks from the bottom to where we turned around there were plenty!
    Sounds like you made to around the top of high point before dropping a mile or so down to the creek before the death march towards the summit. I believe the point where you turned around was about 2k', that's pretty low for snow this time of year, the trails in SW WA probably won't be ready for sometime.

That's funny about the cougar comment. I often think of the same thing when I ride up there around that part, especially when riding solo. Kind of like the feeling that something is lurking around above and watching me in the trees. Probably cause there are no flat spots on that trail and you would be cougar meat if something jumped on ya from above.

Thanks again for the report.

JG
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    thanks for the report on 3CR, I was thinking about that trail today. We rode Syncline and it was great. Hagen how was your ride?

mtbr member
    I think I know where you are talking about. You made it just before the descent to the creek?
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

Cannonball!
    We probably weren't too far from the rocky ridge line on top. Definitely didn't make it to where we were headed back down to the creek. We figured that if we made to the ridge it would probably be clear, because it gets a fair amount of sun exposure, but from there on it would be shady enough that it would probably still be snowed in. Yeah, looks like this could be a pretty late biking season.

GEAUX TIGERS!!!

my ride

Saturday I ended up going back out to Wilson River Trail. Started at Elk Creek TH and rode to Jones and back. There were about 4 washouts and several blow downs but nothing too bad. There was also a little snow in between the Kings Mtn. Trail and the OHV area (before you get to Jones). I was suprised b/c I've never seen snow on this trail, but it wasn't much at all.
    Sunday I went to Syncline and after I rode Coyote Canyon, I deciced to ride the Hidden Cnayon Trail. MAN, this is a tough f-ing trail! I was coming down this rocky part concentrating on what I was doing them BLAM! I got knocked clear off of my bike from a low hanging branch hitting my helmet that I did not even see. I was clipped in and the branch turned me upside down and for a minute my bike was above my whole body. It was a doozy! TO make matters worse, when I got back home later that night I found a tic buried into my side. What's really funny is yesterday was my b-day!

Cannonball!
    All around that White Salmon area is crazy full of ticks and poison oak!

Members who have read this thread: 0