Lane County Ride Guide- Mtbr.com
    The Brutally Handsome

Lane County Ride Guide

I'm getting back into riding and have an old book called the Lane County Mountain Bike Ride Guide, which was published in '92. There are a lot of trails in the book that aren't listed in my more recent guides and maps, so I was wondering if anyone knows if many of these trails are now off limits to mountain bikes or if they are just lesser known trails. I have been looking for new places to ride but I don't want to accidentally ride prohibited trails. Any info appreciated!

Out spokin'
    I helped write that guide back in the late 80s. That was a loooooong time ago in terms of land management. Which rides in the guide are you thinking about doing? (The ones in the Coburg Hills have been logged over for the most part.)

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

The Brutally Handsome
    How cool that I can post a question about a book and get a reply from one of the authors! Well, I was certainly wondering about those trails in the Coburg Hills, particular Shotgun, as I work for the ODF and have never heard of any riding in that area, only logging, shooting and four-wheeling. I was also wondering about Gold Point, North Shore Trail, Round Mountain, and Dead Mountain, which I used to ride all the time when I lived in Oakridge! I also used to ride some trail just a mile or so outside of the town of Lorane but I'm not sure if that was even a legit trail. Anyway, thanks for any info!

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by Sizzler
    How cool that I can post a question about a book and get a reply from one of the authors! Well, I was certainly wondering about those trails in the Coburg Hills, particular Shotgun, as I work for the ODF and have never heard of any riding in that area, only logging, shooting and four-wheeling. I was also wondering about Gold Point, North Shore Trail, Round Mountain, and Dead Mountain, which I used to ride all the time when I lived in Oakridge! I also used to ride some trail just a mile or so outside of the town of Lorane but I'm not sure if that was even a legit trail. Anyway, thanks for any info!
    Shotgun & Round Mtn in the Coburgs have changed a lot. I don't know that you could follow the instructions in the guide; almost certainly not inasmuch as there has been a lot of road building & logging since the guide was published. I have not ridden there in years. Too bad because it used to be a great close-in riding area for Eugeneans. Another change in the Coburgs -- the BLM legitimized off-road motorcycling there so I expect you'd find any remaining trails to be heavily rutted.

North Shore is excellent (very muddy this time of year). I miss Gold Point Trail. I wrote the description for that ride myself. The USFS did a trail closure due to nesting owls or such many, many years ago and it lasted for several years, or so it seemed. I never went back. I think the last time I rode Gold Point was in the early 90s. I do want to go back to check it out one of these days but I'm afraid it might be covered in blowdown.

Can't even remember Dead Mtn... is that the same as Flat Creek? I gotta get my old LC Ride Guide out and leaf through its pages...

There's an excellent ~25 mile network of mountain bike trails called Whypass about 2 miles outside of the town of Lorane. The Disciples of Dirt has contacted the BLM about making the area a designated recreation area.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Sparticus,
    That is the best reply of the week.I have that book too.I enjoyed reading your response.Thanks!
    Master of Laundry...Lord of Cleaning!

Making fat cool since '71
    Holy crap...now he's really going to be hell to live with.

Brock...
    Are the wheels roundish? Ride it.

Disciples Of Dirt, come ride with us.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Gold Point is still closed 6 months out of the year, January to July. Dave is probably right that there is probably a lot blowdown. The access roads to the trailheads have been closed. However, the big "Trail closed" signs on the burms are a dead give away that you are on the right track.

With the exception of the Fall Creek trail, all of the trails in the Fall Creek drainage are in serious need of trail maintenance. I keep threatening to make it my pet project. It would be nice to add some more variety to the local fare.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaKlyde
    Holy crap...now he's really going to be hell to live with.

Brock...
    When did you two become roommates?

He lives in our goat shed five days a week.

Brock...

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    He lives in our goat shed five days a week.

Brock...
    This makes sense...second best reply this week ! Does he pay his rent on time ? Or is it work release ?

Tree Hugger
    Quote Originally Posted by poppa#1
    When did you two become roommates?

Brock must have slipped off into Fantasyland where he imagines that he's Felix and Davey is Oscar.
    I love mankind - it's people I can't stand. ~Charles M. Schulz

ronbo613
    I helped write that guide back in the late 80s.
    I've been editing some old MTB videos and photos; it's amazing how far mountain biking has come, yet much of the primary core of it has remained the same. The places we ride seem to have changed more dramatically.

Out spokin'
    ...and Fall Creek Trail is closed to mountain bikes. Always has been.

--Sparty aka Davey

P.S. I think Brock would be Oscar and I'd be Felix. Gotta be honest here...
    disciplesofdirt.org

The Brutally Handsome
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus
    ...and Fall Creek Trail is closed to mountain bikes. Always has been.

--Sparty aka Davey

P.S. I think Brock would be Oscar and I'd be Felix. Gotta be honest here...
    So, what's the scoop on that one? I always thought it was hiker only trail, but it obviously gets ridden. Does the FS turn a blind eye?

Wait, wait wait...two of us talked with the USFS about Fall Creek at different times last year and both of us, while getting different wording...got the same result: bikes are "allowed" on Fall Creek. Are you saying it's changed, officially, in the last six months?

Brock...

Out spokin'
    Wait, wait wait...two of us talked with the USFS about Fall Creek at different times last year and both of us, while getting different wording...got the same result: bikes are "allowed" on Fall Creek. Are you saying it's changed, officially, in the last six months?

Brock...
    Sometime in the last 12 months, Bob Obermeyer told me that Fall Creek Trail is closed to mountain bikes. I wrote back, confused, asking for clarification. I said, "How long has Fall Creek Trail been closed to bikes?" His one word reply: "Forever."

That's all I know.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org

That's wild since when I called they couldn't find anything in their office prohibiting it. Then the other guy called and had the same experience. That was December I think. There's no signing, the USFS latest word is it's OK...Bob's been wrong about a few other things if memory serves.

Brock...

The Brutally Handsome
    When I worked for the FS, the whole fall creek drainage was treated like the red headed step child that was inherited when they consolidated several ranger districts. It has all kinds of problems stemming from overuse, fire and logging, so I'm guessing that mountain bikes on fall creek trail don't even show up on the radar.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    When I worked for the FS, the whole fall creek drainage was treated like the red headed step child that was inherited when they consolidated several ranger districts. It has all kinds of problems stemming from overuse, fire and logging, so I'm guessing that mountain bikes on fall creek trail don't even show up on the radar.
    That seems like an accurate statement. I swear some people set up camp there for the whole summer. It turns into hillbilly homeless camp for the summer. I see the Lane County Sheriff's Department up there a lot.

I love riding my road bike up there since I live in Thurston. However, the risk level goes way up during the peak camping season. Above the Fall Creek dam, you have got the speeding tweekers going back and forth to town to re-supply. Below the dam, you have the drunk boaters swerving all over the road in addition to the tweekers.

Tree Hugger
    Sometime in the last 12 months, Bob Obermeyer told me that Fall Creek Trail is closed to mountain bikes. I wrote back, confused, asking for clarification. I said, "How long has Fall Creek Trail been closed to bikes?" His one word reply: "Forever."

That's all I know.

--Sparty
    Bob Obermeyer was not speaking as an official with the USFS when he made the claim that Fal Creek has always been closed to bikes, and he could never back it up with any documentation to the effect.Bob retired, and has no say in things. Several people have spoken to the USFS personnel that work at the Westfir Ranger station, and they have been told that the trail is officially open to bikes, but "not recommended."

I wonder if it's "not recommended" that we do trailwork on Fall Creek anymore?

mtbr member
    Point of clarification to Sparty's statement/query a few posts back in this thread.

Dead Mountain is also, and currently almost exclusively, known as Flat Creek.

I find it interesting how current trail names/designations change and shift with time.This has happened with at least one other trail in the Oakrideg area that I know of.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Regarding the Fall Creek Trail. the NFS website has it clearly designated as no mountain biking.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r6/willamette/r...creek3455.html

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck5874
    Regarding the Fall Creek Trail. the NFS website has it clearly designated as no mountain biking.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r6/willamette/r...creek3455.html
    You're basing your statement on the words "hiker only," right? Not sure that's what hiker only means, believe it or not.

In USFS speak, it may mean no motor vehicles.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org

The website was one of the reasons we had the debate we had and why a few of us talked to the FS directly...I didn't want to ride a trail that's "illegal" to us and be a bad example (all other bad examples that I am are noted, thanks...)...the FS has some inaccurate info on the web in other areas (trail numbers, road numbers, trail descriptions, etc). The discrepancy has been pointed out to them at least twice that I know of in regards to Fall Creek. If more folks would call to inquire or mention it then perhaps they would get accurate information easily available to the public. I'll abide by whatever the official status of the trail is and according to the people that enforce it: mtb's are allowed on it.

Brock...

The Brutally Handsome
    That misinformation might be the reason that fall creek hasn't turned into goodman creek. Do you really want to change that?

That's a good thing of course...but Fall Creek is not something I ride much. It's a fun SS trail once in a while though for sure.

Brock...

Tree Hugger
    That misinformation might be the reason that fall creek hasn't turned into goodman creek. Do you really want to change that?
    Fall Creek will never turn into Goodman Creek. It's too far from the highway, and it's not a "downhill" trail worth shuttling. Fall Creek has better soils than Goodman Creek, it gets a lot more solar exposure (especially after the Clark Creek fires of 2004) and it's closed to horses.

There is suspicion that the "hiker only" designation is a remnant of old terminology that the USFS used into the 1970s (before MTB became an issue) as a way of saying "No horses or motos"

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch
    There is suspicion that the "hiker only" designation is a remnant of old terminology that the USFS used into the 1970s (before MTB became an issue) as a way of saying "No horses or motos"
    We (DOD) were told this explicitly at one time by the then recreation coordinator on the Lowell Ranger District.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org

Ovaries on the Outside
    Glad there was a consensus. I am going to ride it.

The Brutally Handsome
    Quote Originally Posted by umarth
    Glad there was a consensus. I am going to ride it.
    You do and I'll have a forest ranger site you for misuse of public property.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    If you are serious I will have to quote Zappa: "nothing worse than a suicide chump".Correction:Trail Nazi's are worse!!!

Ovaries on the Outside
    If you are serious I will have to quote Zappa: "nothing worse than a suicide chump".Correction:Trail Nazi's are worse!!!
    Sizzler is such a dick.

The Brutally Handsome
    Sizzler is such a dick.
    I'm not the one planning to trash a fragile old-growth ecosystem with my bike. It's pit-stains like you that ruin mountain biking for the rest of us. When you get to that section with the steep dropoffs, do us all a favor and ride yourself off the side.

And poppa, I wouldn't put much stock in a guy who's also quoted as saying "Ich bin der Chrome Dinette".

Tree Hugger

First of all, the word you were trying to use was cite, not site.

If you are going to make "threats" maybe you need to verify the facts first. Feel free to speak with the Westifr RD and find out about the actual status. If you are told that bikes are prohibited, please get the USFS official's name for us so we can confirm the info and put this issue to rest (again)

Until you've done this, you sound like a fool for stating that you'd report people for (what you imagine might be) violations.

Ovaries on the Outside

If you are going to make "threats" maybe you need to verify the facts first. Feel free to speak with the Westifr RD and find out about the actual status. If you are told that bikes are prohibited, please get the USFS official's name for us so we can confirm the info and put this issue to rest (again)

Until you've done this, you sound like a fool for stating that you'd report people for (what you imagine might be) violations.
    Don't sweat it, as Sizzler's parents are siblings and he is legally retarded.

The Brutally Handsome

Since when is it wrong to do the right thing? Are you saying you wouldn't report someone riding their dirt bike down alpine?

Don't sweat it, as Sizzler's parents are siblings and he is legally retarded.
    And I'm not sure why you guys are correcting my spelling and calling me retarded when you obviously can't read. The USFS website clearly states, "as a Hiker Only route, it follows Fall Creek . . ."

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Dumb all over,a little ugly on the side.If you actually believe that mountain biking destroy's ecosystems you better get it right the first time.NOTHING IS WORSE THAN A SUICIDE CHUMP.RIP MR. ZAPPA!!!Be careful when you are wagging the finger of self righteous b.s.As long as four legged ,1100 pound,ponies are allowed on the trail you are idiotic and deluded for any support for mountain biking "destroying" an ecosystem.Possibly the dumbest concept I confront on a regular basis(Forest Park).You compare a moto on Alpine...go on get it over with then...find you a bridge and make a jump...just get it right the first time, 'cause something's worse than a suicide chump.Oh,I don't blame your parents.Most of the trails around anywhere are ignored ,forgotten and seldom see any visitors.Sell your bike!Better yet pious guy...donate it to a kid who can't afford one.Be careful when making threats.BTW,I don't believe that the USFS has ever busted anyone for ridin' a moto on Alpine.Skateboarding,parking,mountain biking are not crimes.Jimmy Swaggart did not appreciate the immortal Mr. Zappa either.

Tree Hugger
    Are you saying you wouldn't report someone riding their dirt bike down alpine?. ."

Motorbikes are allowed on Alpine. The bulk of the trails in and around Oakridge are open to dirt bikes.

You are either a troll, or an idiot. Either way, have fun........

Ovaries on the Outside
    Motorbikes are allowed on Alpine. The bulk of the trails in and around Oakridge are open to dirt bikes.

You are either a troll, or an idiot. Either way, have fun........
    No way. I have a hard time believing this is true. Pretty sure no motorized vehicles on most of the mountain bike trails, otherwise they wouldn't be mountain biking trails for long. I was going to look it up, but got lazy and took a nap instead.

Anywho, I went and did the first two sections of Fall Creek. Lots of trees down and it was pretty overgrown. Lots and lots of fun. The first section is a challenge for me, especially when wet and the second section was pretty fun. Anyone know the mileage for the entire trail (one way)? Someone has to have a gps....

Does it hold up well over winter?

Horses... kinda hate 'em. I hit one at speed on Eagle's Rest this summer, so I got to wear it for another couple hours.

The Brutally Handsome
    I suspected umarth might have the audacity to show his face at Fall Creek so I took the day off work to patrol the trail. I spotted him right away, but I had trouble catching up because he had the same gear ratio as me. He also used trickery, sometimes pulling off the side of the trail and allowing me to unwittingly pass by! This continued for several miles before I decided the only way to stop him was through the use of lethal force. Unfortunately he was able to thwart all my attempts to dispatch him, but I suspect our paths will cross again!

Poppa and Sasquatch, no hard feelings I hope!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lane County Ride Guide-photo.jpg  

Lane County Ride Guide-photo-1.jpg  

Ovaries on the Outside
    I suspected umarth might have the audacity to show his face at Fall Creek so I took the day off work to patrol the trail. I spotted him right away, but I had trouble catching up because he had the same gear ratio as me. He also used trickery, sometimes pulling off the side of the trail and allowing me to unwittingly pass by! This continued for several miles before I decided the only way to stop him was through the use of lethal force. Unfortunately he was able to thwart all my attempts to dispatch him, but I suspect our paths will cross again!

Poppa and Sasquatch, no hard feelings I hope!
    Huh. And I thought you just found me cute.

Are those photos of Jesus?

The Brutally Handsome
    Are those photos of Jesus?
    Spoke cards from the alleycat race in fall creek.

Ovaries on the Outside
    Spoke cards from the alleycat race in fall creek.
    Ironic.

VP/ Terrain Designer
    WTF!!!! is going on in this thread!!!!
    Braun Enterprises LLC, Building Cool Stuff

Ovaries on the Outside
    Quote Originally Posted by NastyNick
    WTF!!!! is going on in this thread!!!!
    We can probably rule out that it is getting better. Still like more information on trails that aren't trails, but you can still ride them, given by people who ride them.

Out spokin'
    Dumb all over,a little ugly on the side.If you actually believe that mountain biking destroy's ecosystems you better get it right the first time.NOTHING IS WORSE THAN A SUICIDE CHUMP.RIP MR. ZAPPA!!!Be careful when you are wagging the finger of self righteous b.s.As long as four legged ,1100 pound,ponies are allowed on the trail you are idiotic and deluded for any support for mountain biking "destroying" an ecosystem.Possibly the dumbest concept I confront on a regular basis(Forest Park).You compare a moto on Alpine...go on get it over with then...find you a bridge and make a jump...just get it right the first time, 'cause something's worse than a suicide chump.Oh,I don't blame your parents.Most of the trails around anywhere are ignored ,forgotten and seldom see any visitors.Sell your bike!Better yet pious guy...donate it to a kid who can't afford one.Be careful when making threats.BTW,I don't believe that the USFS has ever busted anyone for ridin' a moto on Alpine.Skateboarding,parking,mountain biking are not crimes.Jimmy Swaggart did not appreciate the immortal Mr. Zappa either.
    poppa#1, between your disjointed concepts, poor sentence structure, abstract subject jumping and lousy grammer, I expect you were drunk when you wrote the above.

FWIW I've ridden my dirt bike (yeah, one with a motor) up Alpine Trail. Yeah, it is legal.

--sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

mtbr member
    Directions please, I have in-laws who live just around the corner, so I might explore Fall Creek sometime. I
    Happy Trails
    Jolly

Ovaries on the Outside
    FWIW I've ridden my dirt bike (yeah, one with a motor) up Alpine Trail. Yeah, it is legal.

--sParty
    That is depressing.

Out spokin'
    That is depressing.
    Actually thrilling comes closer to describing it.

And just to quell any concerns, I guarantee that you could not have told, by looking at the trail before and after, that I'd done so. I know how to ride a bike (pedal driven or otherwise) responsibly.

--sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

Ovaries on the Outside
    Actually thrilling comes closer to describing it.

And just to quell any concerns, I guarantee that you could not have told, by looking at the trail before and after, that I'd done so. I know how to ride a bike (pedal driven or otherwise) responsibly.

--sParty
    It isn't depressing because you rode the trail, but that others could. Hope you got out this weekend. It was fantastic biking...

Out spokin'
    It isn't depressing because you rode the trail, but that others could. Hope you got out this weekend. It was fantastic biking...
    Indeed it was, and indeed I did. Spent Saturday night at 6200' elevation, next to a serene lake, under a moon so bright it nearly kept me awake. Only way in was miles of singletrack... that's what I'm talkin' about!

--sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    No hard feelings...I was sober...and out of joint's(Sparty).I was unable to get out and will attempt to make up for it soon.My sentence structure that morning was equal to the amount of singletrack in Portland.I will submit a proper composition when the subject warrants it.I know that moto's are legal in that area.I get a little sideways when trail access and horses are the subject.Love the "cards"...I don't think that the albums would roll as well.BTW Sparty...I dedicate those "phrases" to Jimmy Carter...maybe Billy too!

Members who have read this thread: 0