Inside info on Ochocos - Round/Lookout?- Mtbr.com
    dusty paw tracks

Inside info on Ochocos - Round/Lookout?

Curious if anyone who has ridden the Ochocos has good inside info/beta. Especially on the best spot to park and the preferred route. I'm consulting maps and curious too - is a Round and Lookout loop a pretty big day? Thinking of riding this sometime soon.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by slimTreeshadow View Post
    Curious if anyone who has ridden the Ochocos has good inside info/beta. Especially on the best spot to park and the preferred route. I'm consulting maps and curious too - is a Round and Lookout loop a pretty big day? Thinking of riding this sometime soon.
    A Round and Lookout loop is a really big day. Your looking at ~32 miles and ~6,000+ feet of climbing. A few of us tried it last month. We started at a campground near the ranger station at the bottom of the Lookout trail (can't remember the name). We got to the upper parking lot for Round mountain and had enough for the day. We took the road back to camp and shuttled Lookout the next day. Lookout was a nice ride.

I know it can be done in one day, but we just weren't up to it that day. I would recommend at least stashing some snacks and water at the upper parking lot. Everyone I know that has done it did Round mountain up then Lookout back down and does not recommend going the other way.

Personally, I will be happy to never push my bike to the top of Round mountain ever again. That is one step hike a bike at the top. If I were to ride out there again, I'd shuttle both of them or ride the road up.

On a side note, the campground was really nice. I'd like to find a better route out there just to go back to that campground. There is another campground at Walton lake, but they only had one working water spigot for way too many people.

My $0.02 worth.

dusty paw tracks
    Really helpful, thanks man.

Nat
    mtbr member
    Park at or near the ranger station. Riding both mountains makes for a big day. If I had to choose one or the other I'd pick Lookout and ride up the pavement. Bring plenty of water and food. Let someone know when you're going because there isn't a whole lot of trail traffic up there. Best ride in Central OR, IMO.

http://forums.mtbr.com/singlespeed/o...rt-122044.html

http://forums.mtbr.com/passion/day-r...pa-203593.html

Nat
    mtbr member
    Park at or near the ranger station. Riding both mountains makes for a big day. If I had to choose one or the other I'd pick Lookout and ride up the pavement. Bring plenty of water and food. Let someone know when you're going because there isn't a whole lot of trail traffic up there. Best ride in Central OR, IMO.

http://forums.mtbr.com/singlespeed/o...rt-122044.html

http://forums.mtbr.com/passion/day-r...pa-203593.html

dusty paw tracks
    Nat, I was hoping you'd jump in here. I've been loving your ride reports from past years. That's actually what convinced me I have to ride out there.

I think I'll take your advice and do Lookout first, rather than take the whole enchilada on. Want to get a feel for the riding and see if I'm even up for a big dual mountain day.

Thanks again!

dusty paw tracks
    Also I've heard conflicting reports of the length when doing both Round and Lookout. bdombrow says 30+ miles, Nat you said in an older thread 20+ miles. Which one is it? 20 doesn't seem too bad, even with extreme elevation gain/loss. On the other hand, 30+ miles could really hurt.

dusty paw tracks
    Also found this thread: http://forums.mtbr.com/oregon/ochoco...rt-199184.html

Good info and pics. Why doesn't this area get more play? Looks amazing!

mtbr member
    Also found this thread: http://forums.mtbr.com/oregon/ochoco...rt-199184.html

Good info and pics. Why doesn't this area get more play? Looks amazing!
    Those pics don't even do it justice. That place is crazy beautiful when the wild flowers are in bloom.
    Only two infinite things exist: the universe and stupidity. And, I am unsure of the universe
    - Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Nat is 100% correct about this ride.I have only done it once,but I was filled with beauty and a couple of sweet and techy descents.I cannot remember which descent had the steep,rocky section that finishes with a "tough" turn,but it sure satisfied.Enjoy!
    Master of Laundry...Lord of Cleaning!

Nat
    mtbr member
    Also I've heard conflicting reports of the length when doing both Round and Lookout. bdombrow says 30+ miles, Nat you said in an older thread 20+ miles. Which one is it? 20 doesn't seem too bad, even with extreme elevation gain/loss. On the other hand, 30+ miles could really hurt.
    I guess I don't know the actual distance for sure. Somewhere between 20-30 miles? I recall it felt like about 100! Anyway, the whole deal took us some 8 hours and I was wiped out for a couple of days. We were all in what we considered decent shape at the time too. It really hurt (but was incredibly rewarding).

I don't know why more people don't play up the Ochocos more either. The area is great. Maybe it's because the nearest city of Prineville has more of a hunting/fishing/Jeeping reputation than Bend? I dunno.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    My 32 mile estimate would be starting from the ranger station. 20 sounds about right if your talking strictly about the single track.

I agree that if I only had to do one, it would be lookout.

Here's some more pics. Most of these are from lookout since my camera settings were all messed up on round mountain.

Ochocos - a set on Flickr

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bdombrow View Post
    A Round and Lookout loop is a really big day. Your looking at ~32 miles and ~6,000+ feet of climbing. A few of us tried it last month. We started at a campground near the ranger station at the bottom of the Lookout trail (can't remember the name). We got to the upper parking lot for Round mountain and had enough for the day. We took the road back to camp and shuttled Lookout the next day. Lookout was a nice ride.

I know it can be done in one day, but we just weren't up to it that day. I would recommend at least stashing some snacks and water at the upper parking lot. Everyone I know that has done it did Round mountain up then Lookout back down and does not recommend going the other way.

Personally, I will be happy to never push my bike to the top of Round mountain ever again. That is one step hike a bike at the top. If I were to ride out there again, I'd shuttle both of them or ride the road up.

On a side note, the campground was really nice. I'd like to find a better route out there just to go back to that campground. There is another campground at Walton lake, but they only had one working water spigot for way too many people.

My $0.02 worth.
    I heard from a sadistic female in your group, that the climbing was not "that bad".

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHouseMan View Post
    I heard from a sadistic female in your group, that the climbing was not "that bad".
    That sounds right. All the guys threw in the towel and two of the gals continued on for a bit more.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    One of my favorites too. We got 34 with 5400' on the 2008 BBFT loop. Clockwise with Round first of course. The hike to the top isn't "that" bad and the descent to the parking lot is worth it IMHO. That side seems to be tougher to stay on the main trail though. The Lookout loop is straight forward and has more of an "alpine feel" IMHO.

Just one? Definately just Lookout as noted.

We've discussed it a few times and there just isn't that much traffic out there because I think most riders don't think there is "enough" to sustain a weekend out there and it is a bit of a drive from Bend. I mean, if you did the whole loop on Saturday, what's left for Sunday out there?

The Other F Word
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by bdombrow View Post
    I heartily concur. (Disclaimer: I was a party to this ride. It was sort of my idea to try both, despite the warnings I'd received from the aforementioned sadistic female.)

I wonder what it'd be like riding down Round?

gabrielle
    Quote Originally Posted by Impy
    just plain unfriendly and maladjusted.
    "Yes, honey: I do love this bike more than I love you."

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gabrielle View Post
    I heartily concur. (Disclaimer: I was a party to this ride. It was sort of my idea to try both, despite the warnings I'd received from the aforementioned sadistic female.)

I wonder what it'd be like riding down Round?

gabrielle
    Since you eat up a lot of the elevation on Round through multiple steep switchbacks, I've always imagined that the descent down the "frontside" would be a letdown (ride the brakes-turn-ride the brakes-turn-ride the brakes-turn). Do you think it'd be good?

The Other F Word
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat View Post
    Since you eat up a lot of the elevation on Round through multiple steep switchbacks, I've always imagined that the descent down the "frontside" would be a letdown (ride the brakes-turn-ride the brakes-turn-ride the brakes-turn). Do you think it'd be good?
    Well, that top section would definitely suck, as you say. Might be nice once you get past that, though. Although I think in terms of scenery & stuff, Lookout has it beat pretty hard.

gabrielle
    Quote Originally Posted by Impy
    just plain unfriendly and maladjusted.
    "Yes, honey: I do love this bike more than I love you."