Hood River next week - trail and rental advice?- Mtbr.com
    asymmetryrtemmysa
    Apr 2004

Hood River next week - trail and rental advice?

What with a business trip to Portland, I have the opportunity to spend about a week in Hood River for some kite surfing, hiking, and maybe mountain biking over the next week (will get up to Hood River on Friday evening after picking up a friend from the airport).

We'll have a rental car but, what with flying, no bikes.

So I'm interested in advice on where to rent a bike, what trails to ride (beginner to intermediate technical level at maybe 15-20mi max would be ideal; although the friend is a bit of a natural rider, I don't think she'd appreciate something super-technical or crazy downhill). I'd also love to have some advice on the best food/cool places to check out while in the area.

I've done a search on the forums and it seems some of the local trail network (Post Canyon) is closed. Although we'll have a rental car, fitting a couple of bikes inside is unlikely so it would be nice to be able to ride from Hood River (or the bike shop) itself. We could also drive up to, say, 1 hr from hood river to get to a shop/trails if they are worth it.

So with all these constraints, what would you recommend?

(This is a lot of questions, but the forum search for "hood river" turns up a tremendous amount of extraneous information. Too many rivers and too many hoods

I really appreciate the help!

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Post Canyon is mostly open now, and improving every week. Just this past week some of the re-routed parts of the 7 Streams trail have been improved. Someone also took a weedwacker to Spaghetti Factory, which was getting really overgrown. While some key parts remain closed (most noteably for my interests the back part of 8 Track, Upper 8 Track, the Boot and Twin Peaks), enough is open to make it worthwhile if you are in town. I don't know what we'll do when 7 Streams closes for logging, but until then go get it.

I'd suggest you venture out and do some of the FR44 stuff, like Knebal Springs and 8 Mile, too. They all fit your requirements.

I believe that both Discovery and Mountain View, the two big bike shops in town, offer rentals.

(oh, and judging by the jammed parking lot at the Seven Streams Staging Area last night, a lot of people think the trails now start there. The first section of single track that started where the paving on Post Canyon ends is closed and apparently gone for good. The rest of the trails leading up to Seven Streams are open.)

mtbr member
    If you are serious about riding, you're going to want to rent a vehicle that is capable of transporting bikes. Post Canyon and possibly Whoop-D trail are doable from town but you will be adding a bunch of road miles to your ride before you hit single track which is lame.

Also, there is no kite "surfing" in the Columbia River. There is a sport people do called kite boarding but there is little to no "surfing" involved. Many people doing this sport ride surfboards but they are almost always plowing along on their heel side edge kind of like a beginner snowboarder on a bunny slope. Oh, and they are usually hooting and hollering like they are ripping it up but they are not.

Hope that helps.

asymmetryrtemmysa
    Apr 2004
    Thanks for the info on Post Canyon being open and the requirement for hauling bikes - let's see what the rental car company can do for me. It seems like most places try to off-load the fuel inefficient vehicles anymore so it may work out.

As for the advice on kite-"boarding", I'll keep that in mind I can't fit the surfboard in baggage, so I'll be trying out a twin-tip board.

If you're ever bored, come on down to the San Francisco area and hit the coast for some wind and waves. Any recommendations on ocean spots for actual kite-surfing up near Portland?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by willysurf View Post

Also, there is no kite "surfing" in the Columbia River. There is a sport people do called kite boarding but there is little to no "surfing" involved. Many people doing this sport ride surfboards but they are almost always plowing along on their heel side edge kind of like a beginner snowboarder on a bunny slope. Oh, and they are usually hooting and hollering like they are ripping it up but they are not.

Hope that helps.
    aaaaaaaHA....HAHA! Yeah but they look so "cool".

Double Mountain is the spot for end of day micro's and food.
    While there are some good breaks on the Oregon coast they pale in comparison to what you have access to in the San Fran area, and they can be quite territorial. Besides, plenty to do on Hood.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by achiral View Post
    Thanks for the info on Post Canyon being open and the requirement for hauling bikes - let's see what the rental car company can do for me. It seems like most places try to off-load the fuel inefficient vehicles anymore so it may work out.

As for the advice on kite-"boarding", I'll keep that in mind I can't fit the surfboard in baggage, so I'll be trying out a twin-tip board.

If you're ever bored, come on down to the San Francisco area and hit the coast for some wind and waves. Any recommendations on ocean spots for actual kite-surfing up near Portland?
    Getting a couple bikes into ANY rental car shouldn't be a problem. Get a couple old blankets at a Salvation Army store & jam them in. That's why they call them rental cars, they're not ours & we can treat them accordingly. Be careful with the bikes though.

Members who have read this thread: 0