Hello Oregon, your government at work- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Hello Oregon, your government at work

Rep. Mitch Greenlick (honest, that's his real name) is sponsoring a bill, House Bill 2228 that would make it illegal for kids under the age of 6 to ride as a passenger on a bike or in a trailer pulled by a bike with a max fine of $90. "Really?", you ask? Yes, says I & here are the links:

http://www.leg.state.or.us/11reg/mea...228.intro.html

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/i...siasts_in.html

Now I know we all have varying opinions about politics, but I think we should all send a flaming email to this pinhead. Which can be done here, http://www.leg.state.or.us/greenlick/ in case anyone wants to join me.

Not surprisingly, Greenlick says he getting a lot of emails today.

Keep Singletrack Single
    and how does that help create jobs?????? These pinheads don't get it. Stop overregulating and get out of our business!
    Last edited by willem3; 01-13-2011 at 03:49 PM.
    Support Bend Trails
    http://bendtrails.org
    Phil's Trail Facebook Page
    https://www.facebook.com/PhilsTrail

mtbr member
    Maybe he read about This insident.

I'd be willing to bet it doesnt get far...Pretty stupid idea if you ask me.

Afric Pepperbird
    Well, I'm sure there are times when it's a good idea...

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Yikes

I think i just threw up a little in my mouth. Thanks Dirtfarmer.

Singletrack Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by dirt farmer

Looks comfy.

Plus, no need for a helmet with all that padding.

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by dirt farmer

I wouldn't want my face there. I'm for the bill.

--sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    A little 'cheekie' if you ask me. What's between you tooth and gum?

mtbr member
    This situation is already covered by the 8th Amendment, the one that prohibits cruel & unusual punishments.

og1
    mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    yea because our cops have nothing better to do.

Keep Singletrack Single
    Quote Originally Posted by Snake Muesl
    Looks comfy.

Hope she doesn't pass gas from all the pressure!!
    Support Bend Trails
    http://bendtrails.org
    Phil's Trail Facebook Page
    https://www.facebook.com/PhilsTrail

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I've testified before Greenlick in a transportation committee hearing. He holds ill-formed opinions and seems unwilling to be swayed by facts.

DOD Member
    I met with Val Hoyle, my district Rep., when she was campaigning in my neighborhood. She is a cyclist and worked in the industry for a long time. Cane Creek was one of her more recent employers. I wrote to Greenlick, Hoyle and Edwards.
    MaxSteel

og1
    mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    They are already back peddling (pun intended) big time. Here is the response I got:

Thank you for writing to express your concerns about HB 2228. Our goal in introducing this legislation was to start a conversation about the safety of children when riding as passengers on bicycles and we welcome and encourage any input from the community that furthers that conversation. Attached is a statement from Rep. Greenlick that will hopefully address some of your concerns.

Regards,

Justin Freeman, Legislative Assistant
    State Representative Mitch Greenlick
    District Office: (503) 297-2416
    Capitol Office: (503) 986-1433

Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    Quote Originally Posted by Undies
    I've testified before Greenlick in a transportation committee hearing. He holds ill-formed opinions and seems unwilling to be swayed by facts.
    You just described every government official I've ever met.
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    The internet sounds like a tough place to ride.

mtbr member
    Thanks for keeping us informed. To me this is another example of how a "bike friendly" city really isn't.

I also sent an email, will be interested to see if they have more than one canned response.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Yes

It is the government's jobs to protect you from yourself because everyone knows you are not smart enough to self-direct your own life or your family.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

No good

Now our legislature meets every year.

banned

Congrats Jaybo

Quote Originally Posted by Snake Muesl
    Looks comfy.

Didn't know you had a little girl.

banned

Congrats Jaybo

Didn't know you had a little girl.
    Strong work.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hello Oregon, your government at work-ghhtf.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by walangkatapat
    Now our legislature meets every year.
    Yup so they can continue on passing new laws to restrict our freedoms.

can't get here by wishin
    i've heard of air bags but butt bags?

it means 'no problem'
    Oct 2008
    From that article about the biker being shot:

"They said the bullet penetrated the outer lining of the helmet but did not actually hit the victim’s head."

Awesome. I didn't know the average bike helmet is actually bullet "resistant".
    "“May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view." - Edward Abbey

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Bike Radar picked up the story today.

http://www.bikeradar.com/news/articl...bicycle--28969

highly visible
    This became a non-issue a week ago. But wow, contratulations to BikeRadar for picking up on a story six days after it ceases to exist.

Anyway, the more interesting story is how quickly Greenlick backpedaled (so to speak) under public pressure, along with diplomatic persuasion by Jules Koppel-Bailey (my district's rep, FWIW). Bailey talked to Greenlick and got him to agree to amend the bill to commission a study on child bike safety and NOT dictate anything to cyclists. Full story on bikeportland:

Rep. Jules Bailey works to amend Greenlick bill - Updated

Excerpt:

Quote Originally Posted by bikeportland.org
    Greenlick confirms that he has talked with his colleagues and that he has told them, "if they submit an amendment to change the bill to a study bill I would likely support that amendment."
    "People like GloyBoy are deaf. They are partisan, intellectually lazy & usually very angry." -Jaybo

B42
    mtbr member

Upset

Quote Originally Posted by GlowBoy
    Bailey talked to Greenlick and got him to agree to amend the bill to commission a study on child bike safety and NOT dictate anything to cyclists.
    I wonder how much it's going to cost us tax payers to tell us something we already know?

Biking is dangerous, and we still choose to do it and a study is going to convince me otherwise. Maybe if there is some current conspiracy to hide all the deadly bicycling accidents from the public and 10s of thousands of people are dying every year that we don't know about I might think twice, but I really don't that that's going to be the case..

So, where just back to the government waisting our money, like I figured..

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by B42
    I wonder how much it's going to cost us tax payers to tell us something we already know?

Biking is dangerous, and we still choose to do it and a study is going to convince me otherwise. Maybe if there is some current conspiracy to hide all the deadly bicycling accidents from the public and 10s of thousands of people are dying every year that we don't know about I might think twice, but I really don't that that's going to be the case..

So, where just back to the government waisting our money, like I figured..
    Living is dangerous... it leads to dying.

Let's make it illegal.

--sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

highly visible
    Quote Originally Posted by B42

So, where just back to the government wasting our money, like I figured..
    We do NOT have any valid data on the safety of children cycling with their parents. Not saying it's a worthwhile use of government funds, but that is what the bill is now trying to address -- and is a damn sight better than a blanket ban.

Yes, cycling is dangerous. No conspiracy to hide this fact that I've noticed. But it is NOT true that tens of thousands of cyclists are dying each year. In 2009, 630 cyclists were killed in the US by motor vehicles.

Know what else is dangerous? Driving. Driving killed 39,000 people last year. That's a 9/11 every four weeks. Most of the victims were "safely" ensconced in their motor vehicles. Which feels safer than bicycling -- but isn't, due to the much higher speeds involved. It's not that cycling isn't dangerous -- it's that driving is much more dangerous than most people realize. Humans are notoriously lousy at perceiving the relative danger of low-probability events.

All the attempts I've seen to rate the safety of bicycling (for adults) come to the same conclusions:
    • On a per-mile basis, cycling is something like 3x more dangerous than driving.
    • On a per-hour basis, cycling is about the same level of danger as driving. Average motor vehicle speed in the US is 25mph; average bicycling speed is 8mph.
    • On a per-trip basis, cycling is safer than driving. Bike trips, on average, are shorter than car trips.

The available statistics do not account for the fact that, compared with drivers, far larger proportions of cyclists who get killed are under intoxicated, operating their vehicles at night without lights, going the wrong way or going without safety equipment (helmets or seat belts). If you ride in the daytime with a helmet while sober and follow the rules of the road, you are almost certainly safer than while driving under the same conditions.

These statistics also do not account for the fact that the amount of exercise involved in regular cycling increases your life expectancy (due to lower risk of lifestyle diseases) far more than any accident danger reduces it. I believe the same is true for instilling a healthy, active lifestyle in a child. I will continue to take my son cycling with me. And would proudly, defiantly continue to do so if it were made illegal.

One more factor ignored by most of the "oh, it's so dangerous! We should ban cycling with children" nanny crowd is that most parents are FAR more cautious when riding with their children than while riding alone. When I have my son with me, I ride more carefully, take far fewer chances, and take the safest route possible even if it's out of my way.

This bill was about political pandering to the widespread backlash against cyclists. If the nannies really wanted to make kids safer, they would crack down on reckless and distracted drivers, who are killing thousands of children IN CARS every year. If they want to make kids safer AND be invasive about it, they would crack down on unnecessary by parents with their kids in the car.
    Last edited by GlowBoy; 01-24-2011 at 02:22 PM.
    "People like GloyBoy are deaf. They are partisan, intellectually lazy & usually very angry." -Jaybo

The Other F Word
    Jan 2005
    far larger proportions of cyclists who get killed are under intoxicated,
    Dang...and I spend most of my time under-intoxicated.

When I have my son with me, I ride more carefully, take far fewer chances, and take the safest route possible even if it's out of my way.
    I sooo wish I had a picture of the woman I saw a month or so ago. She was weaving around the road, one hand on her handlebars, texting with the other. I got around her only to see that she had a *baby* sitting in the basket on her front handlebars.

Not saying we need a study to tell us some people are stupid, or legislation to "prevent" it...I'm all for the "remove the warning labels from everything and this will sort itself out in a few generations" tack.

gabrielle
    Quote Originally Posted by Impy
    just plain unfriendly and maladjusted.
    "Yes, honey: I do love this bike more than I love you."

Members who have read this thread: 0