falls creek- Mtbr.com

Thread: falls creek

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

falls creek

Anyone ridden it this year? the one in SW Wa. and I know this is the Oregon forum

Singletrack Addict
    I rode Lewis River a couple weeks ago and drove back up over Old Man Pass. There was a lot of snow.

mtbr member
    I haven't been up there riding this year but, we were up at Lone Butte Sno-Park (up the road from Old Man Pass) skiing several weeks ago, there was still 2-3' of snow on the ground at Old man Pass.

As of March 29th the FS was reporting a 36"-46" base. FS Sno-Parks

Friday I was BC skiing at Silver Star (above Washougal Wa.) and there is at least 5' of snow sitting on the ground at 4300'.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Wow

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    So Lewis River was cool?

Singletrack Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Hack
    So Lewis River was cool?
    There were a few logs. We cut some.
    Started at Curly Creek and rode about eight miles upriver. Ran into a group riding down from Lower Falls who reported it clear except for a few logs. Some they cleared.

It was a good day. I cleaned the big log ride.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    There is snow at the Old Man Pass so if you ride Falls creek do it as an out n back from the lower trailhead. I always ride it like that. I bet it would be snow free quite a ways up. Most of the snow did not start until closer to the Old Man Pass area farther north. I am sure plenty of hikers have been on the trail already this year.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

E

Gona ride it tomorrow non vag. style as an o&b, anyone have any snow info?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by amtbr View Post
    Gona ride it tomorrow non vag. style as an o&b, anyone have any snow info?
    I am looking forward to your report.Dog River / Knebal / Surveyors /Oakridge is my route Sunday.I will report...unless it's too good.
    Master of Laundry...Lord of Cleaning!

mtbr member
    Knebal & 8 mile still have snow and blowdown. This warm weather will really help. Up till yesterday the highs have only been around 50 and lows dipping to the 30s in the mtns, certainly not good for melting snow on the North facing slopes.

Quote Originally Posted by poppa#1 View Post
    I am looking forward to your report.Dog River / Knebal / Surveyors /Oakridge is my route Sunday.I will report...unless it's too good.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Tried surveyors today from top of dog river. Ran in to about 30 trees and several snow patches before even getting to cooks meadow cut off. Bailed there and went to hospital hill instead.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Rode out and back on Falls Creek last monday, it was excellent up too and a little above the waterfall. The snow patches got really big after that so we turned around.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    To echo what jmeldrum26 said, falls creek needs probably 2-3 weeks before its ready. I made it past the single track section that passes the fallen lava tube then hits the little road climb. I had to walk/ride through a lot of snow on that section then when I made it to the little road part, the road was just covered in snow so at that point I said f it. As best as I can tell, no other bike had been as far this season, there werent even any hiker tracks in the snow, just elk foot prints bigger than my hand.

It also needs some tree work. I moved about 6 trees by myself from the trail, and lots of other large chunks of debris. But a chainsaw will be needed for a few of the trees, there is one particularly large old growth that fell down the lower section.

Tip: Don't try to ride really fast down hill towards a snow bank, I went straight to the bottom and endo'd on the snow, luckily no one was around to witness.

Good day to be out nonetheless...

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by thorkild View Post
    Tried surveyors today from top of dog river. Ran in to about 30 trees and several snow patches before even getting to cooks meadow cut off. Bailed there and went to hospital hill instead.
    Sorry about the drive...I was warned Friday night about Surveyors,etc.Lewis River was the result.It could not have been better.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Knew I shoulda gone to lewis

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by amtbr View Post
    Knew I shoulda gone to lewis
    The good news is that Lewis is in "great shape" all the way up.I could not talk anyone into Wright Meadow,but I am sure anticipating "one" dust free run down Cussed Hollow before it is too late.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Sorry about the drive...I was warned Friday night about Surveyors,etc.Lewis River was the result.It could not have been better.
    No worries. Had a grea time at hospital Saturday and lewis river Sunday.

Members who have read this thread: 0