Results 1 to 62 of 62
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    65

    Day-to-day realities of Portland?

    Hi all,

    I have a pretty good job prospect in Portland. I'm pretty familiar with Portland and the realities of the real estate market etc.; but I don't know the reality of mt biking while living in Portland.

    Where I currently live I can be home from work by 5 easy, and a one mile paved path ride takes me to what I'd describe as XC trails. So no flow, no big banked turns, no big drops, etc. All multi-purpose too, so hikers and the rare equestrian. An hour's drive takes me to more of a mix of XC with some flow trail mixed it. I think that's all shared too. Two hours gets me to resorts with lift-served DH/flow.

    Also, I can ride year-round without too much problem. Some summer days are too hot (or too smokey if there are fires).

    I love Portland and Hood River. Had a nice time in Bend for a couple days. Lots of friends in Portland too which is nice. But I'd love to know about the riding realities.

    thanks,

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: WHALENARD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    3,448
    Depends where you are. The closest real riding will most likely be Tillamook, Sandy, or Cold Creek. Depending where you are that will be a 45 minute to 1.5 hour drive. 3- 5 years ago I could get to any of them relatively reliably in 45 minutes and out of town N,E, or south in a half hour. Now it can easily take 1.5 hours to get out of town during rush hour.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: tbmaddux's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    1,718
    I have posted once or twice about how there are lots of threads about how miserable it is to try to ride your mountain bike in Portland.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    6,667
    Quote Originally Posted by tbmaddux View Post
    I have posted once or twice about how there are lots of threads about how miserable it is to try to ride your mountain bike in Portland.
    Yup!

    Case in point: During prime riding season, on weekends, Post Canyon in Hood River is filled with over 90% non-local residents, most of whom come from Portland.

    They aren't driving 65+ miles because Portland is mtb heaven!
    Whining is not a strategy.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    65
    Quote Originally Posted by tbmaddux View Post
    I have posted once or twice about how there are lots of threads about how miserable it is to try to ride your mountain bike in Portland.
    Thanks for the links, I'll happy refer to them.

    I did look through the first page or so of thread titles and looked at one or two that seemed to cover the same points. So, apologies if I didn't see yours.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    65
    Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post
    Depends where you are. The closest real riding will most likely be Tillamook, Sandy, or Cold Creek. Depending where you are that will be a 45 minute to 1.5 hour drive. 3- 5 years ago I could get to any of them relatively reliably in 45 minutes and out of town N,E, or south in a half hour. Now it can easily take 1.5 hours to get out of town during rush hour.
    Thanks for this. The primary thing I take from the replies is that actually in Portland proper there's simply no real riding (or any). Is that essentially correct? My understanding is that, for instance, you can't ride in Forest Park, except on like 2 trails. What about Mt. Tabor park or other seemingly larger parks? Tryon Creek? (I'm just looking at a map for large green spots; no clue what these places actually are.)

    thanks.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: WHALENARD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    3,448
    People ride Tabor and like it but they are usually hitting it at off hours. I live on the west side and can be to Tillamook with real actual riding faster then I can get to Tabor. No bikes in Tryon & I wouldn't consider Forest Park mtbing. If I lived in St John I'd be happy to have Forest Park there, but then you're that much further from real riding. There is also Scappose but I never feel like it's worth the drive.

    If you want to prioritize riding I'd suggest moving to the west side for Tillamook & Stub access or Happy Valley for Sandy access. With that if you're working downtown it's a moot point. Once upon a time I really liked Portland, not sure I understand the appeal anymore. It's a small town city with big city problems.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    65
    Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post
    With that if you're working downtown it's a moot point.

    Once upon a time I really liked Portland, not sure I understand the appeal anymore. It's a small town city with big city problems.
    Thanks for those details about drive times and access. That's really helpful. And as it happens the job would currently be in downtown. But there's some discussion of moving operations to Oregon City. No clue what impact that would have since we'd probably prefer to live closer to our friends in the city anyway.

    I'm not sure the added stress of this job would be off-set by better access to friends and/or mountain biking. Bah.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: WHALENARD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    3,448
    Oregon City would be good for access to Sandy for sure. Working there & living closer in to city amenities would be better than working dowtown imo.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: OldHouseMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    3,948
    Iíd move to Portland for the mountain biking before moving here for what the city has to offer. Iíve lived in Portland for nearly 25 years and the city is not what it was back then.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,148
    I would not move to Portland. Good beer is available in other places and this town pretty much blows since google told everyone to move here. Ugly, cheap looking apartments and ridiculous transportation issues. It takes far too long to escape to the hills anymore. PBOT is reason enough to avoid this place. Everyone has their face buried in their device as well. The homeless issue is another insurmountable problem to be considered. Especially if you work downtown. Be prepared to bunny hop human excrement and bodies. I deal with it five days a week. We support our junkie community with a ten cent bottle tax. McCall is rolling in his grave.
    Master of Laundry...Lord of Cleaning!

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: WHALENARD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    3,448
    Quote Originally Posted by poppa#1 View Post
    We support our junkie community with a ten cent bottle tax.
    Don't forget runaway property crime and untold millions in "social services".
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: OldHouseMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    3,948
    Portland isnít what it used to be. If I could easily move elsewhere, I would.
    Last edited by OldHouseMan; 12-19-2018 at 09:47 PM.

  14. #14
    Daniel the Dog
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    6,759
    Portland has bad traffic, regressive taxes, weird politics, spendy real estate, pissy weather, and bad close mountain biking. However, it is clean, has a great biking community, jobs, great summers, great road cycling, great bike racing, and good mountain biking an hour away. Tough call!

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    773
    My 2 cents...just moved back to SoCal from 21 months in the PDX area. I agree with most of the above...for me the biggest drawback was the constant pissing rain (my new nickname for the place is ďLuciferís Chamberpot.Ē The city seems way dirtier/grimier than what I remember 20ish years ago as well.

    Summers were nice but still quite humid (Iím used to bone dry SoCal though). Riding is awesome an hour plus drive away. I donít think the Cold Creek area was mentioned...also a really fun place to ride.

    Growlers Gulch is an hour or so north and is supposed to be really fun, but I never made it up there.

    Sandy is all sorts of fun, and expanding....

    Gateway Green is up and running now within the city, and I found it pretty fun for a quick fix. Lacamas/Round lake in Camas is pretty decent too (especially Red Tape and some of the higher chunky sections), and is 30-45 ish minutes from parts of Portland.

    That constant drizzle tho....

  16. #16
    Metalheadbikerider
    Reputation: free-agent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,813
    I have been here for 21 years and definitely have a love/hate relationship with the city these days for a number of reasons. That being said, I still enjoy the beer, food, riding scene overall, and live music offerings. There is always a lot going on here, esp with the music scene.
    In addition to what has been mentioned above, Scappoose is about a 20 minute drive from downtown and has some fun stuff. Also, not to be overlooked, is the fact that we are 4 hours from Bellingham, 6 hours from Squamish and 8 hours from Whistler. And, 3 hours from Oakridge. While riding togood trails from the city is basically non-existent, what we have access to within a day's drive is pretty amazing.
    Cheers!
    Support mtb'ing in the Portland area, join NWTA with your dollars, hands, and/or voice. nw-trail.org

  17. #17
    Too Much Fun
    Reputation: benja55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    2,287

    Portland - It's a mixed bag, but still a great city (to me!)

    Free-agent sums up a lot of my feelings about living in Portland too. Only here 11 years and it's changed a LOT. Feels about where SF was circa '96, but I don't think it will follow the exact same trajectory as the Bay Area. Real estate prices have been a bit crazy, as you likely know, but if you're used to SF or NYC, Portland still seems like a deal. If you're from somewhere else, it may seem steep. It's all relative, as they say.

    If you don't enjoy the high points of a city like Portland (great food, music, booze, progressive politics to a fault, cycling scene etc) then do NOT move here. If that stuff is valuable to you, then Portland is a good spot. Yes, you can find that stuff elsewhere, but Portland punches above it's weight in all of those departments.

    Portland is growing up REAL fast, and it's definitely has some seriously annoying aspects, one of which is the dearth of legit singletrack in town proper. There's small spots (Gateway Green, Powell Butte etc) where you can get a quick fix in, but it's super limited if you're used to being able to ride right out of your door to the trails. The truth is, I can't think of too many cities Portland's size or bigger that have amazing singletrack right in town... right? Denver, or Seattle maybe? Don't know.

    IMO, the summers and shoulder seasons are amazing, and the rain is really only an issue for a few months. Whoever called it "humid" hasn't spent time in NYC or the South in the summer. THAT'S HUMID. Portland summers are damn near perfect to me, though Climate Change will likely net out well for the PNW, relative to other parts of the country which will be completely fuct in 25-50 years.

    The MTB scene here *feels* like it's growing and gaining momentum, largely thanks to the trail orgs (NWTA, HRATS) and community that puts in crazy efforts, both here and in surrounding areas. IMO, Portland has a strong sense of community in general, and that's a Good Thing in my book.

    It's pretty amazing being able to drive to BC, Oakridge etc within an easy half-day.

    Quote Originally Posted by free-agent View Post
    I have been here for 21 years and definitely have a love/hate relationship with the city these days for a number of reasons. That being said, I still enjoy the beer, food, riding scene overall, and live music offerings. There is always a lot going on here, esp with the music scene.
    In addition to what has been mentioned above, Scappoose is about a 20 minute drive from downtown and has some fun stuff. Also, not to be overlooked, is the fact that we are 4 hours from Bellingham, 6 hours from Squamish and 8 hours from Whistler. And, 3 hours from Oakridge. While riding togood trails from the city is basically non-existent, what we have access to within a day's drive is pretty amazing.
    Last edited by benja55; 12-16-2018 at 04:57 PM. Reason: "bag" not "bad" :)
    - -benja- -

  18. #18
    Too Much Fun
    Reputation: benja55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    2,287
    ...it's also worth noting that the CX scene here remains strong. Cyclocross and gravel riding definitely expands the Portland appeal. I find having a CX bike that I can take on trails is a great diversion for in-town riding.
    - -benja- -

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    773
    Quote Originally Posted by benja55 View Post
    Free-agent sums up a lot of my feelings about living in Portland too. Only here 11 years and it's changed a LOT. Feels about where SF was circa '96, but I don't think it will follow the exact same trajectory as the Bay Area. Real estate prices have been a bit crazy, as you likely know, but if you're used to SF or NYC, Portland still seems like a deal. If you're from somewhere else, it may seem steep. It's all relative, as they say.

    If you don't enjoy the high points of a city like Portland (great food, music, booze, progressive politics to a fault, cycling scene etc) then do NOT move here. If that stuff is valuable to you, then Portland is a good spot. Yes, you can find that stuff elsewhere, but Portland punches above it's weight in all of those departments.

    Portland is growing up REAL fast, and it's definitely has some seriously annoying aspects, one of which is the dearth of legit singletrack in town proper. There's small spots (Gateway Green, Powell Butte etc) where you can get a quick fix in, but it's super limited if you're used to being able to ride right out of your door to the trails. The truth is, I can't think of too many cities Portland's size or bigger that have amazing singletrack right in town... right? Denver, or Seattle maybe? Don't know.

    IMO, the summers and shoulder seasons are amazing, and the rain is really only an issue for a few months. Whoever called it "humid" hasn't spent time in NYC or the South in the summer. THAT'S HUMID. Portland summers are damn near perfect to me, though Climate Change will likely net out well for the PNW, relative to other parts of the country which will be completely fuct in 25-50 years.

    The MTB scene here *feels* like it's growing and gaining momentum, largely thanks to the trail orgs (NWTA, HRATS) and community that puts in crazy efforts, both here and in surrounding areas. IMO, Portland has a strong sense of community in general, and that's a Good Thing in my book.

    It's pretty amazing being able to drive to BC, Oakridge etc within an easy half-day.
    Yeah on the humidity thing...thatís why I mentioned my SoCal past. Definitely relative...although, I did undergrad in DC and grandparents were from Louisiana, so Iíve experienced true humidity as well....

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: OldHouseMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    3,948
    The food, beer and music scenes are definitely good. This sounds silly to say, but we have a good selection of grocery stores to choose from, and the farmers markets are good too.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: WHALENARD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    3,448
    I disagree on the food, but agree on the other stuff. I'm really fond of the neighborhoody quirky movie theater thing. Not sure that exists anywhere else. Thriving movie going culture here.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    177

    Day-to-day realities of Portland?

    Coming from the Bay Area, and seeing that the OP is from NorCal, itís always funny to hear Seattle, and then to a 2nd degree Portland residents complain that ďITíS BECOMING THE BAY AREA!!!Ē They have no idea what that really means ... yes the traffic is legit around Portland outskirts, and housing prices have escalated but itís still not the same order of magnitude as NYC/SF insanity. There are 2x as many people in the Bay Area as there are in all of Oregon, and housing prices are not quite at, but approaching, 2x of the Portland metro area.

    The above is a preface to say this:
    Portland is a nice, growing city with great aspects and some growing pains. But the mountain biking access is better in a lot of places, including the Bay Area.

  23. #23
    Too Much Fun
    Reputation: benja55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    2,287
    Quote Originally Posted by SchralphMacchio View Post
    Coming from the Bay Area, and seeing that the OP is from NorCal, itís always funny to hear Seattle, and then to a 2nd degree Portland residents complain that ďITíS BECOMING THE BAY AREA!!!Ē They have no idea what that really means ...
    FWIW, I spent 18 years in SF, though whether I know anything about anything is arguable. IMO, Portland is basically the real estate "release valve" for everyone who's getting priced out of SF/Bay Area, LA and now Seattle. Bend too, to a lesser degree. Can't even count how many Bay Area friends who can telecommute have either moved to Bend or are eyeing it.

    But there are definite Portland patterns, mostly in development, that remind me of the mid-90's in SF, when the first tech bubble was getting ramped up. Not the same, but similar vibe, like how many crappy 4 story condo buildings can we put up in 2 years?

    But yes, of course, now the Bay Area is well and truly fuct from a real estate, transportation and congestion standpoint now, so there are definite limits to the comparison.
    - -benja- -

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    177
    Yeah I wasnít trying to call out your comment specifically, just putting more of a general swipe at bitter locals. Youíre one of the few Portlanders who qualified your original statement with ďmid 90ísĒ and ďnot quite on the same trajectory.Ē

    Itís true that relative to the history of the regional area (PDX/SEA), the rate of change and inflation feels similar to the Bay. But the Bay is so screwed up with insufficient infrastructure projects to accommodate the rapid growth between 1990 and 2015, nimby development & planning policies, and the overarching housing inventory and public service funding problems caused by Prop 13.

    Iím hoping SEA and PDX metro areas donít follow the same path ... though Oregonís Measure 50 May be almost as bad for setting the stage as Prop 13 ...

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    140
    Quote Originally Posted by SchralphMacchio View Post
    But the mountain biking access is better in a lot of places, including the Bay Area.
    Quote Originally Posted by benja55 View Post
    The truth is, I can't think of too many cities Portland's size or bigger that have amazing singletrack right in town... right? Denver, or Seattle maybe? Don't know.
    I always have a good chuckle with those type of quotes. I can't decide if west coasters forget the rest of the country exists or just assume "I live in this progressive coastal city, so we must have the best of everything."

    Actually, a lot of cities Portland's size have a lot of singletrack. Dozens and dozens of miles, sometimes a hundred miles. Just most of it is east of the Rockies. When the island of Manhattan has more singletrack (and gnarly stuff too) than all of Portland, you know Portland doesn't have that much singletrack.

    Oh, look, someone made a map: Trails - City MTB

  26. #26
    Too Much Fun
    Reputation: benja55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    2,287

    Day-to-day realities of Portland?

    Quote Originally Posted by CycleKrieg View Post
    ...the island of Manhattan has more singletrack (and gnarly stuff too) than all of Portland, you know Portland doesn't have that much singletrack. [/url]
    True, true, the West Coast bias can be strong. The irony here is that I grew up as a kid riding in Manhattan, my first real MTB riding was in Central Park (trials riding in the Rambles, dodging dudes hooking up in the bushes!) and riding the GW bridge to ride the Palisades etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by CycleKrieg View Post
    Oh, look, someone made a map: Trails - City MTB
    That site looks very useful, thanks for the share!

    ...anyway, apologies for forking the hell out of this Portland thread...
    - -benja- -

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    676
    Quote Originally Posted by SchralphMacchio View Post
    Itís true that relative to the history of the regional area (PDX/SEA), the rate of change and inflation feels similar to the Bay. But the Bay is so screwed up with insufficient infrastructure projects to accommodate the rapid growth between 1990 and 2015, nimby development & planning policies, and the overarching housing inventory and public service funding problems caused by Prop 13.

    Iím hoping SEA and PDX metro areas donít follow the same path ... though Oregonís Measure 50 May be almost as bad for setting the stage as Prop 13 ...
    The same folks that shaped the bay area are those which are filling up those metro areas now, so prepare for the same.

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    676
    Quote Originally Posted by SchralphMacchio View Post
    The above is a preface to say this:
    Portland is a nice, growing city with great aspects and some growing pains. But the mountain biking access is better in a lot of places, including the Bay Area.
    From someone who grew up in Portland, lived in the Bay area for a while, and is now back - Portland is developing some of the same issues. Though given Portland's geography, expanding the infrastructure to accommodate more people is even more challenging.

    Portland's only real mtb trail access is Sandy Ridge. The Bay's best trails are all illegal. So, take everything with a grain of salt.

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    65
    This has been some fascinating reading. So thanks to everyone for contributing.

    For a little more background, I grew up in the PNW (went to the UW), spent many years on the east coast (a couple in New England, lots in the Mid-Atlantic, most recently 8+ in DC). So I have no problem with rain and any complaint about humidity is pretty laughable.

    As to comparisons of Portland to other places, that's a moot point. We either stay here or go to Portland (if the job works out, which it might not). Sure Denver would be great--though my only friend there are in the process of leaving. Bend seems nice. Hood River would be a dream. But realistically it's Portland or here. "Here" being near Sacramento.

    The real estate prices are about the same as here. We'd like to downsize, which is weirdly not possible here unless you want a very tiny condo (<1000 sq ft), want to spend WAY MORE to live in the "historic district", or are willing to move to a shit neighborhood.

    Does anyone know if there are plans to expand MAX? Having lived for years with pretty good public transit (WMATA's metro and bus could be hit or miss; but here it's almost non-existent), I always love being able to fly into PDX and hop right onto MAX.

    thanks

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation: tbmaddux's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    1,718
    Quote Originally Posted by rdawson808 View Post
    Does anyone know if there are plans to expand MAX?
    Orange line opened 3 years ago. Next expansion is Red line out to Hillsboro in 5 years, and maybe Green line in 2027 if it gets voted in a couple years from now.

    Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MAX_Light_Rail

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Mr Pig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    10,528
    My sister lived in Portland for years, I never thought she'd move, but she left a few years ago because she could see the direction it was going.

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    164
    I grew up in Corvallis (1.5hrs south from Portland), lived in the Bay Area for 10yrs, and came back to raise kids. Now living in Portland.

    Certainly the trail access could be improved here...but now that I live in NE Portland Sandy Ridge is only 50min away by car. In the Bay Area I lived in the City or in the Palo Alto area and the drive to Skegg's was about 30min...in the grand scheme of things not too different. Of course I'd love to have trail access like I had in Corvallis (trails two blocks from my house), but then the small city benefits of Portland won't be there. From where I live now, Gateway Green's small trail system is about 20min ride on my Cyclocross bike so I can get a bit of trail time quickly during lunch.

    I think in any metropolitan area one could choose to live "in the city", in suburban neighborhoods surrounding the city proper, or somewhat isolated/rural communities with great MTB access but having to drive an hour or so to "the city". This is the case basically in most areas in the US.

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation: WHALENARD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    3,448
    I'd take Corvallis in a heartbeat. Idyllic spot imo.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    811
    To me, the quote "Jack of all trades, master of none" really sums up the PDX MTB scene. There is nothing immediate, which sucks, but there is so much close by...but you need to work for it, weather it's driving or being in big backcountry. Like others have mentioned, Oakridge (3hrs), Bend (3hrs), Whistler (8hrs), BC proper (7hrs) and the real gem, Gifford Pinchot (3-4hrs)....we are centrally located to some of the best riding in the US, but it's take a bit of effort.

    I live on the West side, it's :30 to Gales Creek / Browns camp, super easy drive....but from East side, it can be more. On a weekend morning, maybe only 10 minute more.

    Huge gravel / adventure scene, always rides during the any time of the year. We have a year round riding season, it can be miserable, but is rarely "impossible" to ride. Universal cycles is one of the biggest online bike retailers, there on on the E side....any part you want they either have in stock or can get it in a day....can pick it up day of too. They have waterproof shoes and rain gear also

    Portland was a diamond in the rough, now it's a garnet on the floor, still lots to offer but their are some drawbacks. I always think about moving, but where to? Great food, beer, wine, still "affordable" (relative to other places), good pay relative to cost of living, big bike scene, coast an hour away....it tough!

    Traffic sucks...but there are workarounds, early morning, off times or night rides all make that a moot point if you are flexible...

  35. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation: WHALENARD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    3,448
    Quote Originally Posted by ArizRider View Post

    Portland was a diamond in the rough, now it's a garnet on the floor
    Ha! Stealing that.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    38
    Might think about a road bike. Good cycling in Portland just not really on dirt. I lived there for twenty years and went from a mtber to a roadie. Then moved to SD and went back to a mtber. I do miss the cool restaurants all over the city, but that's it.

  37. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    3,636
    Quote Originally Posted by ArizRider View Post
    ...... now it's a garnet on the floor, ...
    More like a dog turd on the floor....best if you don't step in it.

    Pretty much anything I need from Portland, I'll order online and have it shipped across the river to Vancouver. It's well worth the $20-30 delivery charge to avoid losing 2 hours of my life dealing with PDX traffic. The last 3 times I went to Hood to ride this summer took as nearly long to get from east Portland to across the 205 bridge as it did to get from Govy to east Portland!
    GoPro adapters for bike lights http://www.pacifier.com/~kevinb/index.html

  38. #38
    Too Much Fun
    Reputation: benja55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    2,287
    Quote Originally Posted by Vancbiker View Post
    It's well worth the $20-30 delivery charge to avoid losing 2 hours of my life dealing with PDX traffic. The last 3 times I went to Hood to ride this summer took as nearly long to get from east Portland to across the 205 bridge as it did to get from Govy to east Portland!
    205 bridge? So by "PDX traffic" you mean WA drivers?
    - -benja- -

  39. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    3,636
    Quote Originally Posted by benja55 View Post
    205 bridge? So by "PDX traffic" you mean WA drivers?
    Yep, Portland escapees. More and more of em every day. ;(
    Last edited by Vancbiker; 01-01-2019 at 08:01 PM.
    GoPro adapters for bike lights http://www.pacifier.com/~kevinb/index.html

  40. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation: WHALENARD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    3,448
    We spent $175 million of public money on the I5 Columbia River bridge traffic, I'm sure it will improve any day now. Probably when the tolls go in though.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

  41. #41
    No known cure
    Reputation: Vader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2,703
    This thread is timely. Does anyone know the commute time from McMinnville to Portland? It's been 15 years since I moved from MAC so I'm sure a lot has changed. I was there over the summer so I've seen the growth from PDX to MAC.

    Back then, I was riding Brown's and Hagg Lake when I wasn't riding the trail network above MAC, which interestingly everyone I talk to claims there's "nothing up there anymore".
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

  42. #42
    Metalheadbikerider
    Reputation: free-agent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,813
    Quote Originally Posted by Vancbiker View Post
    Yep, Portland escapees. More and more of em every day.
    Unfortunately, the escapees don't outnumber the incomees.
    Support mtb'ing in the Portland area, join NWTA with your dollars, hands, and/or voice. nw-trail.org

  43. #43
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    811
    Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post
    This thread is timely. Does anyone know the commute time from McMinnville to Portland? It's been 15 years since I moved from MAC so I'm sure a lot has changed. I was there over the summer so I've seen the growth from PDX to MAC.

    Back then, I was riding Brown's and Hagg Lake when I wasn't riding the trail network above MAC, which interestingly everyone I talk to claims there's "nothing up there anymore".
    McMinn to PDX, depends on the wine crowd now! The have a new bypass that passes some of HWY99 BS traffic, but it's still difficult depending on time of day....all those stop lights before you get to 217 are killer.

    Not sure about McMinn to Browns, some of the backroads are quite nice with no traffic but you can only go 45....

  44. #44
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    811
    Quote Originally Posted by Vancbiker View Post
    More like a dog turd on the floor....best if you don't step in it.

    Pretty much anything I need from Portland, I'll order online and have it shipped across the river to Vancouver. It's well worth the $20-30 delivery charge to avoid losing 2 hours of my life dealing with PDX traffic. The last 3 times I went to Hood to ride this summer took as nearly long to get from east Portland to across the 205 bridge as it did to get from Govy to east Portland!
    From Vanc you should be riding St. Helens or the Giff, some of the best riding in the US if not the world.

    As far as Hood goes, why not just cruise up hwy 14?

  45. #45
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    3,636
    Quote Originally Posted by ArizRider View Post
    From Vanc you should be riding St. Helens or the Giff, some of the best riding in the US if not the world.

    As far as Hood goes, why not just cruise up hwy 14?
    Most of my rides are St Helens, GP, and nights on the Cold Creek/ Tarbell/Larch Mt. area trails. Mt. Hood is fun and a nice change. I have given thought to going to Mt. Hood through Hood River but it is quite a few more miles. Also, taking that route has those distracting Rd 44 area trails and such, not to mention the nearby Whoopdee trail.
    GoPro adapters for bike lights http://www.pacifier.com/~kevinb/index.html

  46. #46
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    33
    Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post
    . Now it can easily take 1.5 hours to get out of town during rush hour.
    This is no joke. Heading from Forest Grove at lunch, drove through I-5 /I-84 interchange at 2pm.... dead stopped. Took 2hr to get to sandy to ride.

    East side Sandy Ridge west side Stub Stewart park.... those are 2 go toos for me. Yes there are others. For m in FG the quick ride is Hagg XC trails (15min away) Stub XC and small free ride (30min away)

    Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

  47. #47
    mtbr member
    Reputation: tbmaddux's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    1,718
    Possible MTB trails in Chehalem. Meeting this Tuesday:
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BsOWXeJFeyh/

  48. #48
    mtbr member
    Reputation: twd953's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    886
    Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post
    We spent $175 million of public money on the I5 Columbia River bridge traffic, I'm sure it will improve any day now. Probably when the tolls go in though.
    Yeah......for those of us who don't live in or even near Portland, PDX is just one big cluster F of traffic that is an impediment for getting to where we want or need to go. Can't wait to not only get to waste hours of my life getting past someplace I don't want to be in the first place, but having the honor of paying extra for the privilege.
    No dig no whine

  49. #49
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    24
    They need to start tolling the roads. I'd rather pay $10 to get through Portland in a half hour, than spend 2 hours getting through town for free. Of course it probably is unfair to low income folks.

  50. #50
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    33
    the real crapper is, there is no real way around it if going North.

    Back to the topic... yes there are some trials just outside Portland, good XC riding if you go about 1hr out, and even more if you head to HR about 1.5hr outside Portland. If you choose a place to live, Id suggest you move in, rent and then decide where you want to ride, and live, then buy a house, vs move in and buy right away. I'm min 1.5hr away from most good riding. I live on West side, ( which i love over in Hillsboro area) but make the trek to HR or SR for good riding. Stub and Hagg are good XC riding.

  51. #51
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,148
    I would prefer a toll for moving here.
    Master of Laundry...Lord of Cleaning!

  52. #52
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    35
    Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post
    I'd take Corvallis in a heartbeat. Idyllic spot imo.
    I live in Corvallis - some of the best local trail access anywhere on this side of the Cascades. Alsea and Black Rock in under an hour, Mac Dunn right out the door (I can bike there from my apartment). 1-2hrs to places like Oakridge, Cascade Crest and 2.5-3hrs to trails in Bend. I've been getting back into gravel/road riding more recently and love biking right out of the door here.

    With that said, I'm finishing up a grad program this year and will likely not stick around. Not the most happening town both on the job front and in terms of social activities.

    Portland is certainly a contender for next places to move to for me

  53. #53
    mtbr member
    Reputation: WHALENARD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    3,448
    I've got 2 good riding buddies that grew up in Portland. One lives in Corvallis and the other in McMinnville, both hate Portland now and dread coming here for family responsibilities etc. I really like Corvallis's size & you forgot Mary's Peak plus quick access to the coast. If I could move down there and make even 2/3rds of what I make here I'd be all over it. For a younger man 10 years ago Portland was pretty sweet. I'd think long and hard before being excited to move on to Portland. Of course everybody's motivations and needs are different but the trajectory here seems pretty much set in stone.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

  54. #54
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    17
    Portland and dealing with it is a matter of perspective. I was born and raised in the suburbs of Toronto and I love living in the Portland suburbs. In Toronto I felt there was opportunity but no access to what I wanted to do. Restaurants existed but traffic and parking was an issue. Trails existed but good stuff was largely illegal. Rides were infrequent (compared to Portland) due to traffic. In Portland I can cross the city to the east side for a restaurant at 7pm on a weeknight without too much fuss. I can leave at 5pm for a ride on the west side with no issue. The 1.5hr++ drives to sandy are done with a carpool and they're as much fun as the ride itself. Real estate costs are crushing me. I've never been so happy to live somewhere. I'd prefer to not have people checking my car doors at night but unless I go to a gated community it's going to happen. Taxes are high here and the lack of retail sales tax doesn't even put a dent in it.

    Yes, there's traffic here and it frustrates people, but for ME, 1hr to get someplace is nothing. I used to commute 7, yes, 7 hours / day (3 days/week) and drive 2hrs to ride "local trails".
    -I don't like my username.

  55. #55
    mtbr member
    Reputation: WHALENARD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    3,448
    Quote Originally Posted by MovinUp View Post

    I used to commute 7, yes, 7 hours / day (3 days/week) and drive 2hrs to ride "local trails".
    Perspective for sure, hard to do much worse.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

  56. #56
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    811
    Quote Originally Posted by jvbutter View Post
    the real crapper is, there is no real way around it if going North.

    Back to the topic... yes there are some trials just outside Portland, good XC riding if you go about 1hr out, and even more if you head to HR about 1.5hr outside Portland. If you choose a place to live, Id suggest you move in, rent and then decide where you want to ride, and live, then buy a house, vs move in and buy right away. I'm min 1.5hr away from most good riding. I live on West side, ( which i love over in Hillsboro area) but make the trek to HR or SR for good riding. Stub and Hagg are good XC riding.
    Don't you ever ride Gales/ Reheers, Browns or even better WRT? Lots of options out there for various rides, loops and lots of stuff folks rarely ride. None of it is Sandy Ridge, but excellent 'trails' but you gotta embrace the climb...

  57. #57
    mtbr member
    Reputation: WHALENARD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    3,448
    Quote Originally Posted by twd953 View Post
    Yeah......for those of us who don't live in or even near Portland, PDX is just one big cluster F of traffic that is an impediment for getting to where we want or need to go. Can't wait to not only get to waste hours of my life getting past someplace I don't want to be in the first place, but having the honor of paying extra for the privilege.
    Was being facetious.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

  58. #58
    mtbr member
    Reputation: WHALENARD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    3,448
    Quote Originally Posted by TR Chensley View Post
    They need to start tolling the roads. I'd rather pay $10 to get through Portland in a half hour, than spend 2 hours getting through town for free. Of course it probably is unfair to low income folks.
    I wonder if there is anywhere they actually work that way in practice? Certainly nowhere I've ever been.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

  59. #59
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    33
    Quote Originally Posted by TR Chensley View Post
    They need to start tolling the roads. I'd rather pay $10 to get through Portland in a half hour, than spend 2 hours getting through town for free. Of course it probably is unfair to low income folks.
    2 things 1) nothing new about capacity 2) I as others already paid road tax. If like Calif. 91fwy SR241 interchange edition where pri are investors bought and built a new frwy then go for it.

    Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

  60. #60
    mtbr member
    Reputation: twd953's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    886
    Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post
    Was being facetious.
    Yes....I know, I got your post.
    No dig no whine

  61. #61
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Gman086's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    4,490
    So... Portland Parks and Recreation has a new director - Adena Long:
    "In 2018, she was recognized as manager of the year for New York City Parks. Adena has served as Deputy Commissioner for Urban Park Service and Public Programs since 2016. Adena will assume her duties on February 19, 2019. The Director of Parks is an important position for advocates and all Portlanders who enjoy cycling. Parks manages places like Riverview Natural Area and Forest Park where off-road cycling access has been a hot-button issue. Also consider places like Gateway Green where Parks has put cycling front and center. Other areas where cycling intersects with the Parks bureau is on paths inside and adjacent to Parks-owned facilities like the Eastbank Esplanade, Waterfront Park, SW Terwiliger Blvd, the Springwater Corridor, and many others."

    This could be a real win for mtbr's as they have shared trails in NYC as has been stated in this thread. Furthermore it's NOT like we don't have the terrain here with Forest Park and Riverview Park in town (already with excellent but illegal to ride trails). I'm hopeful for change.

    Have FUN!

    G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

  62. #62
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Heidenh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by Gman086 View Post
    So... Portland Parks and Recreation has a new director - Adena Long:
    "In 2018, she was recognized as manager of the year for New York City Parks. Adena has served as Deputy Commissioner for Urban Park Service and Public Programs since 2016. Adena will assume her duties on February 19, 2019. The Director of Parks is an important position for advocates and all Portlanders who enjoy cycling. Parks manages places like Riverview Natural Area and Forest Park where off-road cycling access has been a hot-button issue. Also consider places like Gateway Green where Parks has put cycling front and center. Other areas where cycling intersects with the Parks bureau is on paths inside and adjacent to Parks-owned facilities like the Eastbank Esplanade, Waterfront Park, SW Terwiliger Blvd, the Springwater Corridor, and many others."

    This could be a real win for mtbr's as they have shared trails in NYC as has been stated in this thread. Furthermore it's NOT like we don't have the terrain here with Forest Park and Riverview Park in town (already with excellent but illegal to ride trails). I'm hopeful for change.

    Have FUN!

    G MAN
    I tried to ride Forest Park once with a buddy of mine. Had just passed one of the signs designating "bike trail" (back in 2012)

    And that's when I came up to an old lady. We stopped off at the side, didn't get out of the saddle, but we were waiting for her to hike on by. However, She proceeded to scream at us, pull out her phone recording our faces and asking for our names. When we decided that this was unnecessary and tried to leave, she grabbed our handle bars and stated "she's calling the cops, don't leave, were under citizens arrest" (what a joke)

    Of course as the situation calmed down, and we left. Went straight to our cars, and will never attempt to ride in Forest Park again, regardless to 'bike designated, or pedestrian hiker' areas.'

    Like the rest of us, I've ridden around, and with my fair share of hikers, horse riders, dog walkers, and never had a single issue. Always been respectful and generous to others using the trail.

    I'm excited to see Adena come in and see what she can do! May save me from travelling the 1-1.5hrs for my local rides - though i don't mind.

Similar Threads

  1. Training loads/realities based on Cat/class/age
    By LaneDetroitCity in forum XC Racing and Training
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-20-2016, 01:07 PM
  2. Visiting-Good one day ride near Portland?
    By DangerBob in forum Oregon
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 09-15-2010, 12:21 PM

Members who have read this thread: 190

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.