Considering moving to Bend- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2018

Considering moving to Bend

Hi All!

My wife and I are in our mid-late 20s, and work online. The sweet thing about working online is that you can live anywhere. The bad thing is that there are so many options it is nearly impossible to make a decision!

That said, we are seriously considering spending the next ~year in Bend. We love Mountain biking (obviously), hiking, climbing, snowboarding, and outdoor activity in general.

All of that said, I am interested to hear from people in the area. How is the mountain biking in/near bend? And how much of the year is ridable with winter/snow?

Also, Our previous stops included Southern California and Switzerland. Naturally, I much preferred the Sunny climate in SoCal. The grey Swiss winter nearly killed me lol. I have heard a lot of conflicting info on the weather in Bend. Does the Sun really hide for long periods of time?

Thank you all for any insights that you can provide!

mtbr member
    Bend local here. there have been basically 2 types of winters since I've been here the last 5 years. Normal years: In town, we get a little snow, but as soon as you go up in elevation, there will usually be more. Two winters ago, we had the most severe snow year in 25 years - where I was shoveling 3 feet of packed snow off the roof of the house. Last winter we had almost no winter, and this year winter is real late with very little snow even up high. There's a local group that maintains snow trails for fat biking up towards Mt Bachelor (the local ski mountain): I haven't gotten involved with them yet, but their Facebook group is beginning to get active for the season. As to sun, there are 300 days per year where the sun shows its face, much more than the west side of the Cascades where I lived for over 30 years. Not grey in my book! It's not the cheapest place in Oregon to live, but it has ready access to all the outdoor sports. My personal favorites are Mt Biking and XC skiing.

mtbr member
    1) bendtrails.org

2) riding season is fall and spring. winter is snow or freeze-thaw and summer is dust.

3) trails are predominantly XC, mostly smooth with some technical lava features. There are a few trails with flow and real jumps and drops. The highlight is the higher more remote stuff that opens late and isnít well-travelled.

4) it does kinda feel like CA, but with more mountain scenery and less surfing.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    There are so many new things and new people in Bend ... after 6 weeks you are considered a local, after 3 months you're a longtime local, after 3 years you're griping about the new transplants, after 10 years ... it means you've been managing your trust fund well or you ended up with a somewhat reasonably sustainable job and financial situation, well done!

It's a nice town with nice amenities that gets invaded on the weekends by Willamette Valley residents like myself. The outdoor access within an hour is phenomenal ... but have you ever lived in a destination / tourist town, like Lake Tahoe, or Mammoth, or Big Bear, or Cham? Also, how do you feel about smoke and forest fires? If you can manage crowds, smoke, and if you don't fly/travel much, you'll probably enjoy.

Also, I thought the rules are that Oregon residents are supposed to hate on Californians who are thinking about moving to the state and driving up housing prices, didn't they make us sign that "no endorsement to Californians" clause when we got our DMV license? Even if we just traded in our California driver's license?

mtbr member
    I dunno, I was too stunned by how pleasant, effective, and quick to get me out the door and on my way the Oregon DMV was (and is).

Also, you need to signal in the roundabouts as you exit.

Out spokin'
    No sales tax.
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Mudflaps View Post
    Bend local here. there have been basically 2 types of winters since I've been here the last 5 years. Normal years: In town, we get a little snow, but as soon as you go up in elevation, there will usually be more. Two winters ago, we had the most severe snow year in 25 years - where I was shoveling 3 feet of packed snow off the roof of the house. Last winter we had almost no winter, and this year winter is real late with very little snow even up high. There's a local group that maintains snow trails for fat biking up towards Mt Bachelor (the local ski mountain): I haven't gotten involved with them yet, but their Facebook group is beginning to get active for the season. As to sun, there are 300 days per year where the sun shows its face, much more than the west side of the Cascades where I lived for over 30 years. Not grey in my book! It's not the cheapest place in Oregon to live, but it has ready access to all the outdoor sports. My personal favorites are Mt Biking and XC skiing.
    This all sounds very encouraging, thanks! Many of the people who told me that it was sunny in Bend are from Portland, so I thought it might just be a "sunny by comparison" type of thing.

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by tbmaddux View Post
    1) bendtrails.org

2) riding season is fall and spring. winter is snow or freeze-thaw and summer is dust.

3) trails are predominantly XC, mostly smooth with some technical lava features. There are a few trails with flow and real jumps and drops. The highlight is the higher more remote stuff that opens late and isnít well-travelled.

4) it does kinda feel like CA, but with more mountain scenery and less surfing.
    I will definitely check out Bendtrails.org. I am surprised that it is mostly xc, I would think there was a great deal of trail/all mountain style riding with the proximity to Bachelor.

Thanks for the info!

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by SchralphMacchio View Post
    There are so many new things and new people in Bend ... after 6 weeks you are considered a local, after 3 months you're a longtime local, after 3 years you're griping about the new transplants, after 10 years ... it means you've been managing your trust fund well or you ended up with a somewhat reasonably sustainable job and financial situation, well done!

It's a nice town with nice amenities that gets invaded on the weekends by Willamette Valley residents like myself. The outdoor access within an hour is phenomenal ... but have you ever lived in a destination / tourist town, like Lake Tahoe, or Mammoth, or Big Bear, or Cham? Also, how do you feel about smoke and forest fires? If you can manage crowds, smoke, and if you don't fly/travel much, you'll probably enjoy.

Also, I thought the rules are that Oregon residents are supposed to hate on Californians who are thinking about moving to the state and driving up housing prices, didn't they make us sign that "no endorsement to Californians" clause when we got our DMV license? Even if we just traded in our California driver's license?
    Having lived in Huntington Beach, I feel like we have experienced a town that is completely packed to the point that traffic is at a standstill every day, compounded by floods of tourists in the Summer/holidays. We have also been through our fair share of smoke.

And I can always claim not to be a Californian, only lived there for three years and it was over a year ago now, so all is forgiven, right? lol

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus View Post
    No sales tax.
    =sParty
    That is a fun fact that I didn't know....Aka new bike day?!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lgmoto356 View Post
    This all sounds very encouraging, thanks! Many of the people who told me that it was sunny in Bend are from Portland, so I thought it might just be a "sunny by comparison" type of thing.
    Sunny, hot, & DRY
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015

Considering moving to Bend

Having lived in Huntington Beach, I feel like we have experienced a town that is completely packed to the point that traffic is at a standstill every day, compounded by floods of tourists in the Summer/holidays. We have also been through our fair share of smoke.

And I can always claim not to be a Californian, only lived there for three years and it was over a year ago now, so all is forgiven, right? lol
    HB and OC traffic are different than tourist mountain towns ... HB is continuously busy with people just coming from cross town and all corners of the LA basin, you still have the 405 connecting you to the rest of LA. And thatís just part of the territory of living in a basin with over 10 million people. I used to live in Old Town Pasadena, right off the strip, so I know what itís like to have weekend, seasonal, and even daily crowd fluctuations around your house. This is more akin to living in Mammoth, which turns into an extension of LA only on weekends and holidays.

The difference is in Bend you are not part of a giant metro area, you are the biggest most developed city in the high desert, but otherwise on your own island about 3+ hours away from Portland, Salem, or Eugene. Highways 97 and 20, and Cascade Lakes Highway are mostly 2-lane. There is no 10-Lane 405 and 710 for egress. When there is fresh snow, Century Blvd will back up all the way to Highway 97 just to accommodate people entering and exiting the turnabouts. Lost drivers from Portland with crappy tires will end up spinning out on residential streets trying to follow their GPSís route to whatever place, then youíll be annoyed that you canít get to the grocery store or run errands or do anything close to downtown if there is good snow or an event going on. Any local business that is remotely good will get 300 positive reviews on Yelp, and then it will become swamped by the masses on weekends. Your neighbors might not be neighbors at all, but 2nd homeowners and AIrBNB/VRBO investors - depending on where you settle you might see 7 cars in their driveway one weekend , and 7 different cars the next. Honestly the Bend traffic isnít that bad yet (nothing compared to Portland) - itís just the /feeling/ of living in a more separated tourist town, one thatís undergoing extremely rapid change. Some people really donít mind all that and accept the reality of living in a destination town, others will bitch about it constantly (even though its practically powering the local economy) and become outspoken NIMBYists. Iím not trying to pass judgment either, thatís just my take on what itís like in destination towns. So far there is plenty of space for everyone and itís still a very nice town, but man itís developing so fast there.

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by SchralphMacchio View Post
    HB and OC traffic are different than tourist mountain towns ... HB is continuously busy with people just coming from cross town and all corners of the LA basin, you still have the 405 connecting you to the rest of LA. And thatís just part of the territory of living in a basin with over 10 million people. I used to live in Old Town Pasadena, right off the strip, so I know what itís like to have weekend, seasonal, and even daily crowd fluctuations around your house. This is more akin to living in Mammoth, which turns into an extension of LA only on weekends and holidays.

The difference is in Bend you are not part of a giant metro area, you are the biggest most developed city in the high desert, but otherwise on your own island about 3+ hours away from Portland, Salem, or Eugene. Highways 97 and 20, and Cascade Lakes Highway are mostly 2-lane. There is no 10-Lane 405 and 710 for egress. When there is fresh snow, Century Blvd will back up all the way to Highway 97 just to accommodate people entering and exiting the turnabouts. Lost drivers from Portland with crappy tires will end up spinning out on residential streets trying to follow their GPSís route to whatever place, then youíll be annoyed that you canít get to the grocery store or run errands or do anything close to downtown if there is good snow or an event going on. Any local business that is remotely good will get 300 positive reviews on Yelp, and then it will become swamped by the masses on weekends. Your neighbors might not be neighbors at all, but 2nd homeowners and AIrBNB/VRBO investors - depending on where you settle you might see 7 cars in their driveway one weekend , and 7 different cars the next. Honestly the Bend traffic isnít that bad yet (nothing compared to Portland) - itís just the /feeling/ of living in a more separated tourist town, one thatís undergoing extremely rapid change. Some people really donít mind all that and accept the reality of living in a destination town, others will bitch about it constantly (even though its practically powering the local economy) and become outspoken NIMBYists. Iím not trying to pass judgment either, thatís just my take on what itís like in destination towns. So far there is plenty of space for everyone and itís still a very nice town, but man itís developing so fast there.
    Ah, I definitely see what you mean there, as far as the difference in the way the two feel when they are packed.

I don't think the influx and turnover would bother us too much. We are not terribly into going out/nightlife, and I suspect that most of our friends would be people who are also heavily involved in the outdoor scenes that we enjoy.

Although, I know there is really no way to know without giving it a shot. And we would just be renting, so if we decide we hate it after a year, we could always move on to different pastures.

Nat
    mtbr member
    Bend sucks, go to Oakridge! Kidding -- inside joke.

I've lived in Bend since 2002 and it definitely has gotten more crowded but I've seen worse. We do get some gray days but we also see a lot of blue sky and sunshine throughout the winter. Much of the season the snow line is higher up so while there might be a storm on Mt. Bachelor there might be calm weather in town. I'd be prepared for more gray days and weather than in southern CA though. While one can ride all year around I no longer try. I go skiing and snowboarding instead. Food is expensive but there is a lot of really good dining for this size of a city. California transplants can get a bad rap when they're still in big city mode, meaning all aggro and pushy. Try not to do that and I bet you'll fit in fine. The trails are mostly xc but there are hundreds of miles. The all-mountain side of things is maybe 20 miles max (plus whatever is on Bachelor) and they're pretty darned fun. There's also quite a bit of riding within a two hour radius.

And please use your turn signal when exiting roundabouts.

Edit: I was talking to one of the chefs at the new Korean restaurant in town last week, who just moved here from Los Angeles about three weeks ago. His exact words were, "This place is weird. Everyone I've met has been really nice." He was a little unnerved by it, lol.

Nat
    mtbr member
    And we would just be renting
    That could be an obstacle. I'm told that rental properties are few and far between in town.

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat View Post
    That could be an obstacle. I'm told that rental properties are few and far between in town.
    This is a problem that we run into in a ton of mountain towns. People can make too much renting properties by the night during the high season to want to rent long term.

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Bend sucks, go to Oakridge! Kidding -- inside joke.

I've lived in Bend since 2002 and it definitely has gotten more crowded but I've seen worse. We do get some gray days but we also see a lot of blue sky and sunshine throughout the winter. Much of the season the snow line is higher up so while there might be a storm on Mt. Bachelor there might be calm weather in town. I'd be prepared for more gray days and weather than in southern CA though. While one can ride all year around I no longer try. I go skiing and snowboarding instead. Food is expensive but there is a lot of really good dining for this size of a city. California transplants can get a bad rap when they're still in big city mode, meaning all aggro and pushy. Try not to do that and I bet you'll fit in fine. The trails are mostly xc but there are hundreds of miles. The all-mountain side of things is maybe 20 miles max (plus whatever is on Bachelor) and they're pretty darned fun. There's also quite a bit of riding within a two hour radius.

And please use your turn signal when exiting roundabouts.

Edit: I was talking to one of the chefs at the new Korean restaurant in town last week, who just moved here from Los Angeles about three weeks ago. His exact words were, "This place is weird. Everyone I've met has been really nice." He was a little unnerved by it, lol.
    That all sounds pretty sweet! We are not from SoCal originally, and there is nothing very big city about either of us. I was defintely a bit surprised to hear about the dominance of xc vs all mountain there. I guess in my mind I just think of all of the big mountains surrounding Bend and assume the all mountain/DH scene would be huge.

Nat
    mtbr member
    That all sounds pretty sweet! We are not from SoCal originally, and there is nothing very big city about either of us. I was defintely a bit surprised to hear about the dominance of xc vs all mountain there. I guess in my mind I just think of all of the big mountains surrounding Bend and assume the all mountain/DH scene would be huge.
    Up in the more "mountainous" part of the Cascade Range west of town it's Designated Wilderness, so no bikes are allowed, but if you enjoy traveling on foot or horse the Three Sisters Wilderness is incredible. The bike trails are lower in elevation on more gentle grade slopes (hence, the common complaint that Bend is flat).

When there are 300+ miles of trail right next to town it would be challenging to fill those distances with jumps, berms, drops, etc. The Wanoga network does a decent job and is my go-to riding area but we mostly have long stretches of smooth, flowy, singletrack punctuated by a technical section here and there.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    As another Bend resident biker I'll second most all of what was said above. A few additions I'd make:

Wild fires have been getting worse and don't look to be slowing down any time soon. Expect a lot of the early fall riding season to be taken out by hazardous levels of smoke. Controlled burns in the spring are a thing too if you're sensitive to smoke.

Summer dry/dusty season isn't bad once you get used to riding on it. Bigger tires help a lot.

You should really be into winter sports as well to live here (unless you're a fat bike fanatic). The bike riding season is a lot longer in other areas of the country. But there isn't a dead zone, once the bike trails get a little snowy/muddy the skiing is good to go and vice versa. Those 300+ miles of singletrack become 300+ miles of back country skiing.

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan C. View Post
    As another Bend resident biker I'll second most all of what was said above. A few additions I'd make:

Wild fires have been getting worse and don't look to be slowing down any time soon. Expect a lot of the early fall riding season to be taken out by hazardous levels of smoke. Controlled burns in the spring are a thing too if you're sensitive to smoke.

Summer dry/dusty season isn't bad once you get used to riding on it. Bigger tires help a lot.

You should really be into winter sports as well to live here (unless you're a fat bike fanatic). The bike riding season is a lot longer in other areas of the country. But there isn't a dead zone, once the bike trails get a little snowy/muddy the skiing is good to go and vice versa. Those 300+ miles of singletrack become 300+ miles of back country skiing.
    I should have said in my original post, that we really want to try living somewhere that we have daily(ish) access to snowboarding year round. That is what has led us to look into ski towns that double as great mtb towns. The problem is that most are wildly expensive. Ogden UT and Bend are probably our top two for exactly the reasons that you stated, as well as not costing 2k per month for a 1 bedroom.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    ski towns that double as great mtb towns.
    My friends will kill me for saying this, but also consider, in no particular order ...
    Stanley ID
    Bellingham WA
    Flagstaff AZ
    Ashland OR

Each have some tradeoffs in biking quality, lift served vs BC skiing quality, and overall town amenities and costs.

mtbr member
    ^Mc'Call Idaho would be top of my list OP.

mtbr member
    snowboarding year round
    Closest place I can think of where that's possible is Mt Hood, on the glacier. I've seen people with boards and skis while I'm unloading bikes to ride Timberline to Rhododendron.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I assumed that comment to be a typo meaning "snowboarding or biking year round," but then also the OP could be a backcountry skier, and "TAY" (turns all year) are possible out of Bend on lingering north facing neve on the 3 sisters and Diamond Peak. The TAY rule is 10 consecutive turns to make a day, and at least 1 day per calendar month, so if you are good at jump turns it's really not much snow to scrape out a measly 10 turns (think of a large driveway-sized patch). I think you can do that at all the places I listed via long ass summer hike to glaciers and glacierets.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post
    ^Mc'Call Idaho would be top of my list OP.
    Hush, now!

For me, Bend has gotten too crowded. Everything else about it is great.
    Whining is not a strategy.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Bend sucks, don't move here. Too much XC. The dirt is only moderately fun because one has to go fast to have fun. All the beer tastes bad and there isn't enough of it. Skiing is a horrible 25 min commute from Bend. Traffic is the worst in the country. Roundabouts galore; those are only for Europeans. The sun shines so much that you always have to have sunglasses in close proximity. I could go on and on. Bend sucks, don't move here.

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by SpryIP View Post
    Bend sucks, don't move here. Too much XC. The dirt is only moderately fun because one has to go fast to have fun. All the beer tastes bad and there isn't enough of it. Skiing is a horrible 25 min commute from Bend. Traffic is the worst in the country. Roundabouts galore; those are only for Europeans. The sun shines so much that you always have to have sunglasses in close proximity. I could go on and on. Bend sucks, don't move here.
    I think you have convinced me! LOL

mtbr member
    The dirt is only moderately fun because one has to go fast to have fun. All the beer tastes bad and there isn't enough of it.
    Go fast enough and you don't have to breathe the dust, but your friends do!

Considering moving to Bend-44689960_10217473119559043_300949543841693696_n.jpg

(photo shamelessly nabbed from SSWC 2018 FB feed)

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Go fast enough and you don't have to breathe the dust, but your friends do!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	44689960_10217473119559043_300949543841693696_n.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	84.1 KB 
ID:	1228799

(photo shamelessly nabbed from SSWC 2018 FB feed)
    I raced Motocross growing up in Alabama, so I know all about blowing red dirt out of your nose for weeks after a race. But honestly, I am more taken with this gentleman's ensemble. His trail swag is legendary!

mtbr member
    Shale dust aint got nothin on volcanic dust.

newfydog
    May 2009
    Well, the whole damn world seems to want to move to Bend. I rented a house in Thailand. The owner was looking to sell it and move to Bend.

I've lived a lot of places (including Switzerland, as mentioned by the O.P.) and could live anywhere, and choose Bend. However, I love the winter and ski a lot, a bit of it 9-10 months a year. If you don't like winter, don't like snow, grey days get you down, you can find better places.

Nat
    mtbr member
    I'm trying to reconcile how the OP likes snowboarding enough to go all year-around yet has an aversion to wintry weather.

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    I'm trying to reconcile how the OP likes snowboarding enough to go all year-around yet has an aversion to wintry weather.
    I'm not sure what made you think that I have an aversion to wintry weather. Given a choice, I will certainly take sunny days over cloudy days, which I think is pretty universal.

Nat
    mtbr member
    Sun can turn the snow into heavy styrofoam then boilerplate ice, so I'd actually rather have cloud cover. Better yet, give me a storm day when it's dumping snow all day. That's when the conditions get good! Face shots with free refills. Anyway, Central Oregon gets a lot of both so you'd have a good time, I'm sure. I hope it all works out for you.

mtbr member
    You forgot to mention the part about rampant skin cancer. Apparently puffy jackets have an SPF of like -3.
    No dig no whine

mtbr member
    Since you can work anywhere, why not buy a nice used van or motorhome and spend a year travelling between your top 10 favorite spots. Spend a few weeks in each, meet the locals and get a feel for the outdoor scene. Once you narrow things down to your top 3, go back and visit each of those in the off season. Choose one spot and spend a full year there. If you decide you don't like it, move to another place on your list. Remember, you can work from anywhere.
    Veni vidi velo!

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by veloborealis View Post
    Since you can work anywhere, why not buy a nice used van or motorhome and spend a year travelling between your top 10 favorite spots. Spend a few weeks in each, meet the locals and get a feel for the outdoor scene. Once you narrow things down to your top 3, go back and visit each of those in the off season. Choose one spot and spend a full year there. If you decide you don't like it, move to another place on your list. Remember, you can work from anywhere.
    This is something that we have talked a lot about and nearly pulled the trigger on at one point. If my wife sees this thread we might very well end up doing it! lol

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    As I gain years, I dislike crowds more and more.

If I could stand the length of the winters, I'd be looking hard at the UP.

I don't mind "real" winters, just don't want them to stretch out too long!
    Whining is not a strategy.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    Bring money $

mtbr member
    I'm going on 4 years in Bend and I also have the ability to work anywhere as long as I have an internet connection. I agree with most of what others have said but I can't stress the smoke issue enough if you're sensitive to it. It's not just the 2-3 months of intermittent hazardous air quality during wildfire season, it's the year round Rx burns and the homes that use wood for heating. Admittedly I'm sensitive to smoke because I have asthma but the air quality is rather shitty here even when compared to many larger cities.

The other potential negative is central Oregon is not very close to anything aside from outdoor amenities, if that matters to you. Portland is 3+ hour drive away and many destinations from Redmond airport will require a connecting flight. I can't say I was really bothered by this my first couple years in Bend but it's becoming more of an issue the longer I stay.

My recommendation is find a city you'd like to spend 50% or more of your time in and then buy a small house there AND have some sort of overlanding vehicle to go on working trips. These days there are a lot of coworking spaces so it's feasible to spend a lot of time working while not at home. In fact, Bend has a great coworking place and with that in mind I'd have it on my list of places to visit rather than live here permanently.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Does Bend, aka "the Paradise of the Cascades," really get 300 sunny days a year? Not according to the weather experts.

In KOHD's "You Ask, We Answer" feature, meteorologist Adam Clark answers a question from a viewer in Bend who wanted to know if the frequently heard 300-sunny-days claim is legit. Short answer: Nope - it's exaggerated by more than 60%.

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Wow! I feel like 60% is a bit more than your average "exaggeration"! That said, having lived on the beach in Southern California, even there, it is not as sunny as they might lead you to believe.

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by economatic View Post
    I'm going on 4 years in Bend and I also have the ability to work anywhere as long as I have an internet connection. I agree with most of what others have said but I can't stress the smoke issue enough if you're sensitive to it. It's not just the 2-3 months of intermittent hazardous air quality during wildfire season, it's the year round Rx burns and the homes that use wood for heating. Admittedly I'm sensitive to smoke because I have asthma but the air quality is rather shitty here even when compared to many larger cities.

The other potential negative is central Oregon is not very close to anything aside from outdoor amenities, if that matters to you. Portland is 3+ hour drive away and many destinations from Redmond airport will require a connecting flight. I can't say I was really bothered by this my first couple years in Bend but it's becoming more of an issue the longer I stay.

My recommendation is find a city you'd like to spend 50% or more of your time in and then buy a small house there AND have some sort of overlanding vehicle to go on working trips. These days there are a lot of coworking spaces so it's feasible to spend a lot of time working while not at home. In fact, Bend has a great coworking place and with that in mind I'd have it on my list of places to visit rather than live here permanently.
    I don't know how I missed this reply for over a month. But thank you for the response. It is always nice to talk to people doing the same type of work since it tends to create its own unique problems, as well as have its own unique advantages. The smoke is something to consider, though it looks more and more like it is just going to be a reality of living in the West moving forward.

And actually, I drive a large truck, so I am pretty well overland capable already.

Nat
    mtbr member
    Wow! I feel like 60% is a bit more than your average "exaggeration"! That said, having lived on the beach in Southern California, even there, it is not as sunny as they might lead you to believe.
    "A mostly sunny day is indicated by 15-30% cloud coverage [or less], and this type of coverage totals 51% of the days we see here in Central Oregon. After doing the math, the total number of days recorded as 'sunny' is 186. So there you have it."

In other words, on over half of the days of the year there will be clouds filling up to 30% of the sky. That's still a lot of sunshine and clouds are pretty, so is your glass 30% full or 70% empty?

mtbr member
    Things to track for Bend:
    Days of sunshine
    Days of smoke
    Days of half empty glasses of beer
    Days of half full cups of coffee
    Days of dusty trails
    Days that Flagline is open

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Days that Flagline is open
    I heard a rumor that we may lose access to flagline if the early season poaching continues. That area is very sensitive because it is in the elk calving grounds.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by StreamRider View Post
    I heard a rumor that we may lose access to flagline if the early season poaching continues. That area is very sensitive because it is in the elk calving grounds.
    can we not debate such nonsense?

mtbr member
    Funny we are talking about forest fires as a major problem and then people complain about not enough sun.

We need more rain - not more sun

mtbr member
    That makes no sense to permanently close an area that people are already poaching during seasonal closures. Doesn't seem to address the issue of people in the area during the seasonal closure.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

mtbr member
    I think that means they'd decommission the trail.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post
    I think that means they'd decommission the trail.
    That is what I heard. They have the means to destroy a trail when needed.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012

... and if we just ...

don't the sawyers wait until opening to clear the trail? That's my understanding. If that's the case, it would be pretty unpoachable.

If that's not the case, someone needs to punch the poachers in the face

mtbr member
    (sarcasm alert) I live for digging out my roof here. Record setting snows for February.

Two of the primary highways to the Willamette Valley were closed this week, due to 3 avalanches on Hwy 20 and endless trees down on Hwy 58, which stranded the town of Oakridge.
    Ski areas closed due to so much snow that the roads to them were closed. Cheers!

Nat
    mtbr member
    The snow right now is ridiculous. It's even snowing SOME MORE (and hard) as I type this. I've had some of the best skiing and snowboarding since my office basically shut down this past week.

Regarding Flagline: It's closed until August 15 to all user groups. Does that include sawyers?

mtbr member
    Does that include sawyers?
    Yeah. There is a dash every midsummer to cut it out as soon as it opens up.

Nat
    mtbr member
    Yeah. There is a dash every midsummer to cut it out as soon as it opens up.
    That's perplexing. First of all, who would even want to poach that trail if it hasn't been cleared yet? Secondly, how do the sawyers get it cleared so quickly on opening day? People always dash up there on opening day and ride it in the morning, sometimes starting at first light. Did the sawyers start working at midnight August 15?

mtbr member
    That's perplexing. First of all, who would even want to poach that trail if it hasn't been cleared yet? Secondly, how do the sawyers get it cleared so quickly on opening day? People always dash up there on opening day and ride it in the morning, sometimes starting at first light. Did the sawyers start working at midnight August 15?
    Sawyers usually get the go ahead to clear the day before it opens.

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sketchbook View Post
    Sawyers usually get the go ahead to clear the day before it opens.
    Ahhh, so that's how it happens.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteNW View Post
    don't the sawyers wait until opening to clear the trail? That's my understanding. If that's the case, it would be pretty unpoachable.
    It is being ridden before Aug 15th.

https://www.bendbulletin.com/localst...mountain-trail

However, wildlife biologists and environmentalists are concerned that a few mountain bikers are still using the area, colloquially known as Middle Flagline Trail, despite the signs.

They warn that this illicit use pushes elk out of a key part of their habitat and contributes to a larger pattern of overuse of the forest.

ďAs we get more and more people in the area, we have to keep telling the same story over and over,Ē said Nicole Strong, assistant professor at Oregon State Universityís forestry and natural resources extension service.
    ...Fernandez said heís seen cyclists using the trail on trail cameras, as well as on social media.
    He added that the Forest Service could close Flagline Trail entirely, unless riders behave better.

mtbr member
    The FS needs to step up their trail closures to something more than tiny signs that nobody reads. We have mentioned this to them in meetings.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    It is being ridden before Aug 15th.

https://www.bendbulletin.com/localst...mountain-trail
    I'm not very convinced as to the factuality of this article.
    The first thing that you may notice is that the pictured rider is not on a closed trail. He's turning on to Lower Flagline during the High Cascade 100 MTB race. That section of trail is open up to the Flagline Tie. The allusion is disingenuous at best.
    The rest is unsubstantiated heresay, and I would argue bogus. have you ever tried to ride those higher trails before they are cleared? They are effectively unpassable by bike.
    I have a hard time believing that Middle Flagline is being poached by mountain bikers.
    Last edited by CoyoteNW; 1 Week Ago at 10:26 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    According to the article they have evidence of the poaching.

...Fernandez said heís seen cyclists using the trail on trail cameras, as well as on social media.

mtbr member
    The trail gets poached - but it's not rampant. From what I know It's typically non-locals. They had the pleasure of riding the trail when it was open in a previous year and aren't about to let their fun be spoiled by a couple of sticks laying across the trail.

But I agree with Coyote - the article is disingenuous. The photo probably came from Oregon Wild (Erik F). They are anti MTB in the forest period. They would rather this area be wilderness.

Bruce from COTA was most likely saying something off the cuff. The FS "could" close any trail they want if given justification. The point of the article is to scare people a little. Trail cams, Closures, etc.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I used to like Bend and would have moved there given the opportunity 20 years ago. Now I am glad I didn't.

The people have changed and not for the good. It seems more like a wealthy resort community to me.

Don't get me wrong, I still go there to ride at least one week end every summer because the trails are great. I just am seeing a lot more douches there these days including on the trails.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ruffm View Post
    I used to like Bend and would have moved there given the opportunity 20 years ago. Now I am glad I didn't.

The people have changed and not for the good. It seems more like a wealthy resort community to me.

Don't get me wrong, I still go there to ride at least one week end every summer because the trails are great. I just am seeing a lot more douches there these days including on the trails.
    Are you are saying "the wealthy" are the douches? Or tourists?

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    You can draw your own conclusion on what I am saying.

Nat
    mtbr member
    You can draw your own conclusion on what I am saying.
    I certainly have.

mtbr member
    a lot more douches there these days including on the trails
    I'm for it. Whatever it takes to get some moisture in the tread.

Nat
    mtbr member
    Ha! I was wondering where that vinegar smell was coming from.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Haha, it seems I am being taken literally on every front.

For the record I would never have meant anything against all wealthy people but some people here want to take it that way.

It is pretty well established that for SOME, wealth also means entitlement.