Cold hands? = Cure!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Cold hands? = Cure!

Hey all, thought I would share a warm weather tip. When the weather gets chilly (under 40) here in Bend, & since I have the hands of a whimp, I always have problems keeping my hands warm, & have probably spent over $200.00 in different gloves the last three years, trying to find something that works, not only keeping the paws warm, but also not being so damn thick I can't feel my brake lever (I only 1 finger brake).

Well, I have found a cure, & a cheap one! My contractor buddy turned me on to these, around $15.00 a pair. I rode yesterday morning, starting in 33 degree weather, ending in 39degrees. My hands were practically sweating the whole time! Never even got slightly cold, plus they are thin enough that I don't really miss my XC gloves! I found them on e-bay for about $15.00. They are Bald Eagle Thinsulate. Only come in blue or dayglo orange, but sooo worth it, I am truly saved

http://cgi.ebay.com/2152T-BALD-EAGLE...2em118Q2el1247

I guess you can tell I'm exited, eh??

mtbr member
    Thanks for the tip. I'll have to check 'em out.

Keep Singletrack Single
    I have done really well with Pearl Izumi Gavia gloves. Here is the link to the website for Pearl Izumi. Spendy...but worth it..

http://www.pearlizumi.com/product.ph...uct_id=1192624
    Support Bend Trails
    http://bendtrails.org
    Phil's Trail Facebook Page
    https://www.facebook.com/PhilsTrail

Singletrack Addict
    You better be right, I just ordered a pair.

I'm currently thrashing my cold gloves hustling turkeys at the meat shop.

Boise
    Ditto.......I also bought a pair. 30 deg temps leaves my fingers freezing. I have also resorted to purchasing some ATV (Tusk brand) grip mits from Rockymountain ATV....but I'll also give these gloves a try!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Snake Muesl
    You better be right, I just ordered a pair.

I'm currently thrashing my cold gloves hustling turkeys at the meat shop.
    You have a pretty safe bet, my hands get cold before anyone elses on rides, I' always the first to start crying The only gloves that kept me warm were ski gloves, which suck for mtb'ing. headed out for a 30+ degree luch ride today, will be the third day testing. Plus, for $15.00+ shipping, it probably the cheapest thing you have bought, bike related, in a very long time ; )

AW_

Jan 2006
    Thanks for the tip. I'm stoked on the safety orange! What is the sizing like on the Bald Eagles? Predictable / big / small?

For warm weather gloves, I've been using <a href="http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=93640">Western Safety</a> for a while.... they were on sale for $4.99 last time I was in the store.

Cracker-magnon
    Looks like they are really similar to the Tillman Truefit gloves that I have been using the last couple of years. In particular, the 1485 and 1495

http://www.jtillman.com/products/?sid=6

Any welding supply shop should have them, and they are pretty cheap if I remember correctly. I still need to buy a pair for this year.
    "Life is a [email protected]#^ing story problem, get used to it - my son.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AW_
    Thanks for the tip. I'm stoked on the safety orange! What is the sizing like on the Bald Eagles? Predictable / big / small?

For warm weather gloves, I've been using <a href="http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=93640">Western Safety</a> for a while.... they were on sale for $4.99 last time I was in the store.
    I usually run Lg-XL xc gloves & run the XL bald eagles, which are a nice fit. If they are a bit big it will be better than too small, as a larger size will keep you warmer, more circulation.

mtbr member
    It's kinda funny that construction / workers gloves out-perform MTB gloves at over 1/2 the cost, eh? I guess if you make your living working with your hands, you better be able to keep them warm. $hit, I'm gonna buy a couple hundred pair, add my own logos & sell em at a profit as MTB gloves!

AW_

Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by inkpad
    It's kinda funny that construction / workers gloves out-perform MTB gloves at over 1/2 the cost, eh? I guess if you make your living working with your hands, you better be able to keep them warm.
    Looking cool is expensive! Cycling is fashion driven. Construction... not really.

Quote Originally Posted by inkpad
    $hit, I'm gonna buy a couple hundred pair, add my own logos & sell em at a profit as MTB gloves!
    ^^^ Pretty sure that is what the MTB clothing companies do. All you need is a logo and a sweatshop to pump them out. Make sure you add a "DESIGNED IN THE USA made in china" tag on them too.

Anyways thanks for posting the gloves, I am going to get a pair. My hands get cold fast too.

mtbr member
    Another place where you can find em for $7.85: http://www.tcr-online.com/servlet/th...-style,/Detail
    free-flowing meat waves of possibility...

mtbr member
    Make sure you get the thinsulate waterproof, not the ones you posted, big difference.
    http://www.tcr-online.com/servlet/th...agle%2C/Detail

Nat
    mtbr member
    Nice find. And to think that this whole time I've resorted to simply placing my hands "down there" to warm them up.

love my Simonds 519
    Mar 2007
    Hard to find work gloves with ulnar pads (I'll get free of $pecialized BG someday...), though I'd say some work gloves are more stylish than some bike gloves.

highly visible
    Oh crap. I think I remember shaking your hand on a cold day once, Nat.
    "People like GloyBoy are deaf. They are partisan, intellectually lazy & usually very angry." -Jaybo

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GlowBoy
    Oh crap. I think I remember shaking your hand on a cold day once, Nat.
    I remember it...oh how I do remember it [sigh]...

mudnthebloodnthebeer
    I've found that a pair of latex gloves as liners can raise abject suffering to the level of mere suckitude for the ride out with saturated mitts. For the other extremities, using a little silicone tub caulk to seal the area around where my Eggbeater cleats mount to my Sidi Storms has eliminated a weak spot in my dry feet system.
    Also, the streets are full of horizontal dropouts...

BSNYC

Singletrack Addict
    Arrived yesterday. Pretty nice!

I'm actually more stoked about using them as a work glove: I spend a fair amount of time in walk-in coolers and freezers schlepping boxes of meat.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    I like the "Warm Grip" gloves I found at Coastal Farm Supply for $5.

They are an acrylic thermal (fuzzy inside) knit glove with a latex coating on the palm and fingers for grip. Warm wet or dry and fabulous grips on the bars or trail tools.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

AW_

Jan 2006
    Just a heads up on sizing... I ordered a pair of XLs and found them to be a good bit smaller than my Dakine XL. Unfortunately too small for me, but very nice gloves.

Singletrack Addict
    I just got back from a three day road trip to the North Umpqua River where I camped for two nights at Toketee and rode Dread and Terror, Calf and Marsters. Wore these gloves the whole time: riding, clearing rock slide from trail, around camp, wood-cutting, etc. Never got much above 30 degrees the whole time. They got wet from the outside and sweaty on the inside. Yesterday morning when I put them on for the ride, my fingers were already cold and the gloves felt clammy. I didn't hold out much hope. I don't know when I stopped thinking about my cold hands and just enjoyed the ride, but it didn't take long.

No complaints, they performed up to expectations.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Snake Muesl
    I just got back from a three day road trip to the North Umpqua River where I camped for two nights at Toketee and rode Dread and Terror, Calf and Marsters. Wore these gloves the whole time: riding, clearing rock slide from trail, around camp, wood-cutting, etc. Never got much above 30 degrees the whole time. They got wet from the outside and sweaty on the inside. Yesterday morning when I put them on for the ride, my fingers were already cold and the gloves felt clammy. I didn't hold out much hope. I don't know when I stopped thinking about my cold hands and just enjoyed the ride, but it didn't take long.

No complaints, they performed up to expectations.
    Glad you had a good time on your road trip, Snake. (You DID have a good time, didn't ya? Did you hit the hot springs while you were there?)

Mr. Muesl was in DOD land for the Wednesnight ride, and we both had our brand-spankin'-new Bald Eagle Thinsulate gloves on. They worked like a charm. I'm probably getting a second pair, and I'm going to get rid of a couple pairs of neoprene gloves that never did the trick for me.

Thanks for the tip, Inkpad!

Singletrack Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Albee
    Glad you had a good time on your road trip, Snake. (You DID have a good time, didn't ya? Did you hit the hot springs while you were there?)

Mr. Muesl was in DOD land for the Wednesnight ride, and we both had our brand-spankin'-new Bald Eagle Thinsulate gloves on. They worked like a charm. I'm probably getting a second pair, and I'm going to get rid of a couple pairs of neoprene gloves that never did the trick for me.

Thanks for the tip, Inkpad!
    How could I not have a good time? Great send off with the WhyPass night-timey foray, thanks to the DOD!

The hot springs were the cure for an affliction commonly assciated with cycling and one's trousers (apologies to the nice young couple adjoining my solo soak on Thursday evening).

Out spokin'
    TMI !!!

Whatever. Come back down south for another Wednesday nighter whenever you wanna ride wit yo Disciples of Dirt Brethren & Sistern, Snake. Yer always welcome and we'll order less fog next time.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

Nat
    mtbr member
    I walked past these gloves in Home Depot today and bought them because of this thread. 40 gram Thinsulate, $12.99!

http://www.clcflexgrip.com/detail.ht...l/handyman.xml

The one potential problem with them is that the back of the glove is made of a Spandex material, and we all know how Oregonians feel about Spandex. I'll try them out soon.

Muy Borracho
    That little amount of Spandex should be fine Nat as long as you shuttle!

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by El Guapo
    That little amount of Spandex should be fine Nat as long as you shuttle!
    I dunno. Isn't there a direct correlation between shuttling and breasts?

mtbr member
    May 2008

Ironclad Coldworx Gloves

Coldworx gloves have worked well for me. Picked them up at Lowes - $21

Members who have read this thread: 0