Californians looking to visit Oregon... where to ride??- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2009

Californians looking to visit Oregon... where to ride??

Hello northern neighbors,

The lady and I are looking to visit Oregon in mid/late June. I really would like to find at least one day amongst our travels to check out some trails or rides while up your way. If you were to ride anywhere in the state, where would you ride? We like single track with some good technical aspects e.g., rocks, roots and all out rowdiness. We would love to hear some suggestions or input. FWIW I do think our travels will include areas as far north as Portland and as far east as Bend (unless otherwise informed). Thanks so much for your help and input, perhaps we will see some of you folks out there!

-Mark

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Go to Oakridge which is east of Eugene. Some of the best epic riding in the country. Do the trail called Alpine.

Alpine (Oakridge,OR)
    www.24hrBikeShop.com 10% of your purchase price is donated to the trail organization of your choice!

mtbr member
    Are you only able to ride one day in Oregon or just looking for our best of list?

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    With all of the stuff we are likely going to end up trying to do any the limited time we will be up that way (only 4-5 days) it is a safe bet that I would only get one solid day in. I already know it will be impossible to do the state justice on what there is to offer for mountain biking but it would be a shame to not at least try to ride somewhere awesome. I still have to figure out the logistics of taking the bikes with us as with the days I am not riding I have to figure out where to stash the bikes (camping at least a couple days)

Making fat cool since '71
    While Alpine is a fun trail to ride, there's not so much of the technical to it. It can be ridiculously fast and fun, but there's not roots or rock tech to it for the most part. Bunchgrass will give you what you're looking for. It's tough on the thighs and will challenge your bike handling in many a spot.
    It's impossible to pick a "just one" trail to ride for me...but if you're in the Eugene area...go to Oakridge and ride Bunchgrass.

Brock...
    Last edited by ImaKlyde; 04-09-2012 at 02:40 PM.
    Are the wheels roundish? Ride it.

Disciples Of Dirt, come ride with us.

mtbr member
    Another option rather then taking your bikes is to rent. If you ride Oakridge, Willamette Mountain Mercantile rents bikes and they are awesome: Willamette Mountain Mercantile-Oakridge Bike Shop and if you want shuttles or guided trips out of Oakridge get a hold of Randy at Oregon Adventures: Welcome to Single Track Paradise! | Oregon Adventures
    I would choose Waldo Lake or Alpine if I could only choose one.

So much to choose from in the Bend area if you go there check on the conditions on the COTA web site: Central Oregon Trail Alliance if you want guides or shuttles get a hold of COG wild: Cog Wild Mountain Bike Tours in Bend, Oregon 97701, mountain biking Mt. Hood, North Umpqua River

If I had to choose only one trail, I would pick the McKenzie River trail. Info here: The awesome McKenzie River Trail I use this shuttle service all the time and they have been great:
    McKenzie River Vacation Cabins

If you want some local riders to ride with, just post up I'm sure somebody will take you up on the offer. I'm always willing to show somebody around if you're willing to put up with an old slowish guide.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jaewannabe View Post
    Another option rather then taking your bikes is to rent.
    You know what's funny, is I totally didn't even consider this. I guess since we have so many bikes at home it's just my nature to think "oh I'll just bring a bike." Thanks for the reminder and links to good people! Once I do a little more research of where we would want to ride, I will see about looking for someone to show us around (more suggestions welcome!!)

mtbr member
    I'll second ImaKlyde on the Alpine Trail, it's a hoot for sure, but it's over way to fast.

I haven't ridden Bunchgrass, but if you like roots, check out the Middle Fork Willamette Trail. It has a little bit of everything...Buff and fast if you throw in the climb up to Indigo Lake (I think this is the lake, somebody correct me if I'm wrong) and a super techy rooty descent with some tough switchbacks, plus some classic PNW river trail sections. I'd take advantage of the shuttle service in Oakridge if you're going to ride this trail. You can also throw in Moon Point, which is a sweet trail for sure.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHouseMan View Post
    I'll second ImaKlyde on the Alpine Trail, it's a hoot for sure, but it's over way to fast.

I haven't ridden Bunchgrass, but if you like roots, check out the Middle Fork Willamette Trail. It has a little bit of everything...Buff and fast if you throw in the climb up to Indigo Lake (I think this is the lake, somebody correct me if I'm wrong) and a super techy rooty descent with some tough switchbacks, plus some classic PNW river trail sections. I'd take advantage of the shuttle service in Oakridge if you're going to ride this trail. You can also throw in Moon Point, which is a sweet trail for sure.
    Alpine is at least an 8 mile downhill. Hardesty trail is a bit more technical and a tad shorter but just as fun

Hardesty (Oakridge,OR)
    www.24hrBikeShop.com 10% of your purchase price is donated to the trail organization of your choice!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovemtnbiking View Post
    Alpine is at least an 8 mile downhill. Hardesty trail is a bit more technical and a tad shorter but just as fun

Hardesty (Oakridge,OR)
    I do thoroughly enjoy Hardesty and combining it with Lawler is a fun way to end a long Oakridge weekend, but IMO, and "technical" is subjective, Hardesty is not very technical. It is super buff and super fast, so I guess this could be considered technical in a sense.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    well technical to me usually involves lots of rocks roots and some less than 3' drops. I typically ride a single speed with 100mm of front travel. I am from the SF bay area for reference we have everything from smooth single track to wide open fire road to single track littered with boulders, gravel, roots and drops. I am not opposed to smooth fast single track if it takes me through some forests with some vistas perhaps. It looks like I may be limited to more like half a day of riding at this juncture, as it were we are planning on having our pooch with us. Also, looks like June 19-25th - if that makes any difference.

btw, you guys rock.. thanks for all of the insight and suggestions.

mtbr member
    Is there any single track dry these days?
    Here on the NE side in WA, trails are finally melting out...long winter.
    If trail conditions are good? Where? It seems that many of the trails around Oakridge might be in similar conditions...
    Thanks!
    Ski Good or Eat Wood

Making fat cool since '71
    Much/most of the "classic" Oakridge stuff is still topped with snow. Larrison Creek, Flat Creek, (most of) Salmon Creek are good. The snow is leaving quick-ish though.

Brock...
    Are the wheels roundish? Ride it.

Disciples Of Dirt, come ride with us.

mtbr member
    I'd head for Bend. You can do so much in one day.
    Happy Trails
    Jolly

Dude, got any schwag?

McKenzie River Trail

MRT is a MUST do. Should be a bucket list item. Seriously. 27 miles top to bottom. Tech, rocks, roots, fast, fun and effing beautiful.
    Billy

Speed is sweet, it's like an avenue to
    ... Shredtopia!

Members who have read this thread: 0