Beginner friendly central Oregon trails?- Mtbr.com

Jul 2008

Beginner friendly central Oregon trails?

Hello all; I recently bought my first non-department store bike, a '08 Specialized Hardrock and I was hoping someone could tell me of some good beginner/intermediate trails with good scenery but still doable for someone new to the sport. I just moved to Bend, Oregon, so I'm still somewhat unfamiliar with all that's available outdoors here.

In the next few weeks I'll spend another $450 on a Cannondale F7 Feminine for my girlfriend, who's also getting a kick out of riding.

Thanks for any info and I can't wait to hit the trails soon.

mtbr member
    Deschutes River Trail... start at Benham Falls, ride into town!

mtbr member
    Check out the Peterson Ridge trail in Sisters. Drive west on Hwy 20 to Sisters, continue through town to Elm Street. Turn left on Elm, about three blocks to a small park. Park your truck there and ride south on elm, you'll see the trailhead a block past the canal on your left. There's maps at the intersections. Great beginner trail.

-B
    Last edited by BrianN; 07-28-2008 at 07:08 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    +1 on the Deschutes River Trail.

For a true beginner, I'd start at Big Eddy, ride to Benham Falls (an absolute must see), then return.

Some of the stuff between Big Eddy and town would have you walking/falling a bit too much, until you get 5 or so solid rides under your belt.
    Whining is not a strategy.

Nat
    mtbr member
    The northern half of Phil's triangle (i.e, Phil's, Kent's, Ben's) is beginner/intermediate skill level with a few rocky sections you might have to walk.

Shevlin park has an easy loop up on the hillside plus a stretch that parallels the creek. This is where I take my kid as she learns to ride her mountain bike.

Jul 2008
    This is all great information and I really appreciate it!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Deschutes River Trail and Peterson are the best

mtbr member
    shelvin park loop

mtbr member
    If you do the river trail, do NOT take a beginner to start at Meadow Camp. She'll never get on a bike again. I usually take first timers to do the Shevlin Loop.

industry employee
    Quote Originally Posted by Oregon
    If you do the river trail, do NOT take a beginner to start at Meadow Camp. She'll never get on a bike again.
    Good Advise.....The DRT is one of my faves, though.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    The fireroads around the Phil's complex are also beginner friendly that will allow you to explore a little bit.

Your girlfriend might also enjoy riding with some girls too. There's a riding club for women in town that frequently ride beginner/intermediate terrain. Bendbellacyclists.org. I'll be leading one of the rides in Sept .

Jul 2008
    We did the loop around Suttle Lake and it was so beautiful and really not too difficult. Would have gone to Scout and Dark Lake too but it was getting too late and unfortunately it's necessary for me to be at work at 6 am.

Members who have read this thread: 0