Action Alert: Freeride Trails @ Stub Stewart State Park- Mtbr.com
    Trail Builders
    Apr 2012

Action Alert: Freeride Trails @ Stub Stewart State Park

We need your help! Please read on-
    Thank you
    -Ryan

Since October 1st 2011, Westside Trail Federation has hosted 18 organized trail build days in the Freeride Area @ Stub Stewart State Park. Over that stretch, some very dedicated Volunteers have worked hard (and together) to accomplish much and push us closer to being able to open up the trails to the public. So far this build season we have;

· Flagged, cleared and built the North push-up trail to the top of the Freeride Area
    · Cleared the staging area at the Freeride Trailhead
    · Flagged, cleared and built “Greehorn” (Beginner-level trail) ,minus fine-tuning
    · Flagged, cleared and built the South push-up trail
    · Flagged, cleared and built about 30% of “Drip-Torch” (Intermediate-level trail)

Only 5 build days remain to complete the final tasks needed to open the network by June. Needless to say, we are within reach, only with strong volunteer turnouts from here on out. Here are the final build days of the season. Come on out and have a hand in opening the closest sanctioned Freeride Trails to the Portland Metro-Area. Then following June 2nd, you can choose to shred these Freeride Trails as often as you'd like.

· Saturday, April 21st
    · Saturday, April 28th
    · Sunday, May 6th
    · Saturday, May 19th
    · Sunday, May 27th

Detailed information about the coming build days can be found;
    on the Westside Trail Federation webpage
    on the Westside Trail Federation Facebook Page

Trail Builders
    Apr 2012
    We are meeting at the Stub Stewart State Park Welcome Center @ 8:45am on both Saturday and Sunday (4/21 & 4/22). Please make it if you can.

Bring your bike and we'll give you a tour- sample the trails before everyone else can...

mtbr member
    Great day today. Thanks everyone for the hard work.

Trail Builders
    Apr 2012
    Agreed!

Serious respect for every one of the 17 volunteers who shared the best day of the year with us. Huge progress today on Drip torch- check the album on Facebook--->

If you couldn't make it today, we will be back at it tomorrow morning. Meet us at the Stub Stewart Welcome Center @ 9:00am for more awesomeness (and quality control)

Trail Builders
    Apr 2012
    Here is some pics from Saturday's build day- 4/21/12 SSSP Freeride Build Day | Facebook

We are also going out Tomorrow afternoon for more punishment- Mid-week build & ride @ SSSP Freeride Area | Facebook

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Next build day?

This Saturday, We're hitting it hard on all fronts. Enlisting the grunt of the ST240, the talents of the legendary builders of Blackrock and all the equipment that we can get our hands on. Come be a part of this defining moment- Volunteers needed!

This is going to be a big one! 9am at Stub Stewart State Park.
    Stub Stewart State Park Freeride Area: Build Day | Facebook

Trail Builders
    Apr 2012
    The hope is to have the entrance berm, jump-to-wallride, berm, ladder drop, berm-to-ladder, into step-up jump built by the end of the day...

Then ride the CRAP out of it!

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I'm so bummed...I saw Stewart State Park and I thought you meant the Stewart State Park near Medford! They just have one flat trail and I was so jazzed that we were getting a downhill! And then I saw it was some place called STUB Stewart...oh well!

Ed

Trail Builders
    Apr 2012
    Our agreement is a State Park "pilot" program and we are doing our best to put our best foot forward and make this partnership a success. What this program essentially does is allow local Mountain Bike Clubs design/create/maintain the trails that they want to ride within an Oregon state park. If Oregon State Parks likes what they see, then there's probably very few hurdles for your local club to do the same at your Stewart State Park...

Trail Builders
    Apr 2012
    We have another trail build day scheduled for this Sunday! Your help will help push us closer to the June 2nd opening deadline!

Stub Stewart Freeride Area Build Day! | Facebook

The Unaffiliated
    Oct 2009
    I'm so stoked to see these trails. I'd be helping build if I weren't stuck in Texas until at least June. Maybe next year...

Trail Builders
    Apr 2012
    No worries. We will be building this area out for years to come. Here's some eye-candy from yesterday's build day-

At this point, we're on the fence about whether or not we will have the Intermediate trail ready for the opening on June 2nd. Only a couple more build days for a lot of work left... May 19th and May 27th

Trail Builders
    Apr 2012
    The last 2 build days of the season are the next 2 weekends! Please come out, lend a hand so that we are able to make the opening date on June 2nd...

Westside Trail Federation - Events | Facebook

Trail Builders
    Apr 2012

12 days

We had another friggin awesome work day on Saturday. We were able to get a lot done, but still only have one more build day to get everything built,tuned and dialed to be ready for the official opening on June 2nd. Come help us put the final touches on the FR lines - Stub Stewart Freeride Area Build Day! | Facebook

Here's some Monday eye candy for ya: 12 DAYS TO GO

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    We are going to need the next 10 days to really pack the dirt in and dial in the line, so hopefully we can open up the Intermediate trail (in addition to the beginner trail) on June 2nd... Come out this weekend to help us reach our goal! - Westside Trail Federation - Events | Facebook

Now's here's a pic of the wallride only two days later, after our work last night Now with tranny!

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I'd be up for helping. Do to my health I probably cant work a whole day, but at least 4-5 hours I could. I also have a jumping jack gas compacter/tamper I might be able to bring if it would be helpful. Just wish I had a bike to check out the trails on.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Fantastic! That is exactly the missing link that we are looking for. with all the fresh dirt and drier weather around the corner, we were worried about the summer traffic blowout. That thing would be gold!

Can you make it out for the Sunday build day? I'm sure we will have bikes to lend for a few runs...

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I will drag the tamper out tomorrow and get it running-hopefully. I am sure I can come saturday, not sure about sunday. I am also available most any day during the week.

Trail Builders
    Apr 2012
    Looks like Keith is starting the build day at 7:30 Saturday morning. He'll have the gator down at the welcome center at that time- so would be a great time to load any equipment you may have then. I'll let him know if you are planning to make it.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I will drag the tamper out tomorrow and make sure it still runs. Then I will let you know for sure.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Ok. Got the tamper up and running, but I there is an issue. My Dad passed this morning and I might not be able to make it tomorrow. I will see how my Mom is and if its ok for me to come. I do want to make it as doing busy work helps keep my mind off of his death, hence why I spent the afternoon rebuilding the carb on the tamper. Also I am not able to run the tamper myself as it takes a lot of strength that I no longer have due to my own health issue's, so someone else would have to run it.

Trail Builders
    Apr 2012
    Dude. I'm sorry man- that's terrible news. You need to do what you need to do, if that means staying with family then that's what you need to do. If you need to get your mind off of things, we can help with that. Don't worry about the tamper, we have plenty to do without it although I appreciate the offer.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    If I come I have no problem bringing the tamper, unless you dont need it. I never ran it myself but my dad used it a few years ago. I might be able to use it myself just not 100% on that. I can run a shovel pretty well though, I've done quite a bit of digging in the dirt over the years.

Trail Builders
    Apr 2012
    I think we will stick to shovels. I'm thinking it's too wet for the tamper...

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Ok then. I will try to make it out there by 7:30

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Just wanted to say thanks for the invite, and I had a good time. I overdid it a little and wont be able to make it Sunday. I will be able to go on Tuesday though, what time should I be there?

Trail Builders
    Apr 2012
    Thank you! You do some awesome work.

Tomorrow (6/1) is our last chance to post the remaining signage and get the trails dialed. If anyone is willing and able, we'd love help with the final touches.
    Last chance trail cleanup and dialing build day - SSSP Freeride Area | Facebook

Otherwise, the Freeride Area officially opens Saturday (6/2). Hope to see you out on the trails!

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    where are these trails at? any more build days coming up?

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Or are these trails even open to public yet?
    Last edited by ParkercTyson; 08-19-2012 at 06:48 PM. Reason: thought the first try it didnt post, then posted two of the same.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    The free ride trails are located at stub stewart state park and yes they are open

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    awesome, thanks

Members who have read this thread: 0