Replacing Rallon with Fezzari La Sal Peak- Mtbr.com
    dmo
    mtbr member

Replacing Rallon with Fezzari La Sal Peak

Any able to compare the two? I was thinking of replacing my Rallon just to try something different. Id like it to still climb as well as the Rallon though. Any feedback appreciated

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dmo View Post
    Any able to compare the two? I was thinking of replacing my Rallon just to try something different. Id like it to still climb as well as the Rallon though. Any feedback appreciated

My buddy actually jus barely did this. Swapped his Rallon for a La Sal and he is super happy. Defends just as well, but climbs much much better. Also is much more playful!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dmo
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBEU View Post
    My buddy actually jus barely did this. Swapped his Rallon for a La Sal and he is super happy. Defends just as well, but climbs much much better. Also is much more playful!

Thanks. Any idea which build he got or what shock? I wonder how it rides through flat technical sections. With that 78 degree seat tube angle will there be too much weight on the front of the bike?

mtbr member
    May 2017

What build was the Rallon? (Size, Shock, fork)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by robmac48 View Post
    What build was the Rallon? (Size, Shock, fork)
    He was on an X2 and Grip2, X01 eagle, carbon wheels, etc. Size large.

Did the Eagle Drivetrain on the La Sal, but went with Rockshox front and back this time.

Heís beyond stoked.

dmo
    mtbr member
    I have an X2 on a different bike and love the adjustability of it. Is it bad to mix a fox shock with a rs fork? It sounds like the rs shock is working pretty well anyway

mtbr member
    I have an X2 on a different bike and love the adjustability of it. Is it bad to mix a fox shock with a rs fork? It sounds like the rs shock is working pretty well anyway

Nah I donít think itís bad at all. Some people donít like too for OCD reasons is all haha. But I think youíd be just fine.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Ripley LS v3
    OG Ripley v2 handed down to son

Not a role model
    What exactly is that $4599 getting you over the Rallon?

Slightly better geo for enduro-style riding, and extra bottle mounts... I wouldn't recommend it unless you are getting a size L La Sal Peak with a blingy build, and made a mistake in downsizing on the Rallon (S/M) with a budget build. L Rallon to L La Sal seems like a side grade. 2 degree of STA is 24mm of saddle rail distance.

I'd be looking at something more avante garde, like the Pole, Nicolai G1 (Mojo Geometron) to swap frames with, or something XC-light and fast to save energy on pedally rides to compliment your Rallon (if it were a L).

I emphasize the sizing on these bikes, since the fore-aft balance is hugely valuable in my book. I consider a SB150 to be dialed in size Med. If you ride it in size L, you might not feel so confident in it if you use your typical defensive behind-the-saddle riding style, as the larger sizes has less weight on the front. The spec plays a role in how the bike behaves too--the Fox stuff is generally better optimized for racing/PRs, while RockShox is a bit more for smiles per miles.

Wish I had suggestions for a fast and light short travel bike, but they're all seriously compromised. Better off just throwing money at a SB130 or something, to get it to ~26 lbs (which makes room for a Pole Stamina ).

mtbr member
    May 2017
    He was on an X2 and Grip2, X01 eagle, carbon wheels, etc. Size large.

Did the Eagle Drivetrain on the La Sal, but went with Rockshox front and back this time.

Heís beyond stoked.

Honeymoon love?? Don't see how it would feel that different unless he had the settings all messed up on the Rallon.

FYI I have Fox forks and Rockshox shock. No brand loyalty from me!

mtbr member

Replacing Rallon with Fezzari La Sal Peak

Honeymoon love?? Don't see how it would feel that different unless he had the settings all messed up on the Rallon.

I donít think you can go wrong with either Fox or RS on the high end stuff these days.

As for the La Sa vs Rallon, pretty similar scenario, youíre going to be in pretty great shape either way. After having ridden both of them back to back several times, my personal pick is the La Sal. Itís lighter, climbs much better and DH is pretty spot on between the two until youíre in more tight and twisty terrain the La Sal is the more playful there.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016

Iím that buddy that MTBEU is referring to. I wouldnít say either one is the better bike honestly, because they are so similar. The La Sal has a bit longer wheelbase but numbers can be deceptive. The Rallon is more of a point and shoot charger, while the La Sal feels more maneuverable and in control.

Iím pumped on the La Sal because itís a better fit for me, as I prefer the control it gives. Itís actually right up there with the Rallon in terms of dh ability, just a little less unwieldy.

dmo
    mtbr member
    If i get a La Sal id be on a small and the wb would be close to 2cm (1.8) shorter than the sm/md rallon im on. I would most likely go up from a 35mm stem to at least a 40mm though.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    If i get a La Sal id be on a small and the wb would be close to 2cm (1.8) shorter than the sm/md rallon im on. I would most likely go up from a 35mm stem to at least a 40mm though.

Yeah, the Rallon was a weird one, where they didnít really have a small size. They put the S on the S/M but that was really just a medium.

If it helps Iím going from a large Rallon to a large La Sal. Wheelbase is 15mm longer on the Fezzari, I demoed the medium and liked it as well but wanted to stay closer to what I was used to. Either way you decide to go, Iím sure youíd be happy

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ninguno View Post
    Itís actually right up there with the Rallon in terms of dh ability, just a little less unwieldy.

In what way?
    Did you loose some wb & reach in the size change over?

The bikes are near identical. For me at 6'2" the xl rallon is an awesome fit so their sizing really works for me where a L La Sal would be on the small size and an xl La Sal would be on the huge side for my riding. Fazzari lists their actual STį at 75į. Haven't ridden one.

The lowest price spec La Sal is one hell of a deal for a guy in that price range. Trying to convince my buddy to get one.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post
    In what way?
    Did you loose some wb & reach in the size change over?

The bikes are near identical. For me at 6'2" the xl rallon is an awesome fit so their sizing really works for me where a L La Sal would be on the small size and an xl La Sal would be on the huge side for my riding. Fazzari lists their actual STį at 75į. Haven't ridden one.

The lowest price spec La Sal is one hell of a deal for a guy in that price range. Trying to convince my buddy to get one.
    So hard to pinpoint differences on bikes this similar. Wheelbase is actually longer on the Fezzari, which is why numbers arenít the whole story for me. The LSP felt much lighter, with a comparable build to my Rallon. Maybe thatís what made it feel easier to throw around and change direction?

I have my Rallon feeling perfect in terms of suspension tune with the X2 and a Grip2 36. The LSP has rockshox, so thereís another thing that could make the difference.

dmo
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ninguno View Post
    So hard to pinpoint differences on bikes this similar. Wheelbase is actually longer on the Fezzari, which is why numbers arenít the whole story for me. The LSP felt much lighter, with a comparable build to my Rallon. Maybe thatís what made it feel easier to throw around and change direction?

I have my Rallon feeling perfect in terms of suspension tune with the X2 and a Grip2 36. The LSP has rockshox, so thereís another thing that could make the difference.

I actually just got a Lyrik with the 42mm offset that i plan to put on my Rallon to see how it changes things. Its only a 2mm change so i dont expect much

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    I actually just got a Lyrik with the 42mm offset that i plan to put on my Rallon to see how it changes things. Its only a 2mm change so i dont expect much

Interested to hear your feedback on that!

dmo
    mtbr member
    Decided to keep the Lyrik for a future build and put the Rallon up for sale. Hows the La Sal been? Any more rides?

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Decided to keep the Lyrik for a future build and put the Rallon up for sale. Hows the La Sal been? Any more rides?

Still waiting for some parts to get in, and then I'll need to plan a trip away from winter. Should have some decent feedback in another couple weeks

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Thanks. Any idea which build he got or what shock? I wonder how it rides through flat technical sections. With that 78 degree seat tube angle will there be too much weight on the front of the bike?

It depends - do you normally sit when riding flat technical sections? The steering is crisp and the head angle will rollover that you expect it to. I'm usually off the seat on anything technical, other than technical climbing, which this bike excels at.

I miss f88
    @dmo what you think so far?

Debating between these two at the moment. Bike would be used for both Boston-Area trial riding as well as a healthy amount of bike park usage. The La Sal seems to have good reviews and is of course the better value, but sorry its ugly. Like the look of the Orbea and tbh MyO is a big plus.
    WHEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!
    ------__o
    ----_`\<,_
    ---(_)/ (_)

dmo
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by laxman2001 View Post
    @dmo what you think so far?

Debating between these two at the moment. Bike would be used for both Boston-Area trial riding as well as a healthy amount of bike park usage. The La Sal seems to have good reviews and is of course the better value, but sorry its ugly. Like the look of the Orbea and tbh MyO is a big plus.
    I sold my Rallon. It climbed really well and descended great but its a big bike. Long wheelbase and on the heavy side for me anyway. Im looking at the la sal but the 78 seat angle concerns me for the trails I ride. Id be dropping the seat and moving back constantly. Too much varrying terain where i ride. Im looking at the new Rip9. Ticks most of the boxes for me. Either that or i wait to see what else is coming in the future

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    What did u end up getting?

mtbr member
    Jul 2010

What did u end up getting?

dmo
    mtbr member
    The La Sal has been super fun and climbs realy realy well. The rallon was way too long for me and the la sal is more manageable. The lyrik is great too. Im hoping to do so park riding in a few weeks. Should be a blast

mtbr member
    May 2018
    how high are you and what size was your Rallon and La Sap Peak? I am also tying to buy not to big bike

dmo
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by s-master View Post
    how high are you and what size was your Rallon and La Sap Peak? I am also tying to buy not to big bike
    Im 5'6" and the Rallon was a sm/med. Im on a small La Sal. The issue for me was the wheelbase on the Rallon was too long. The La Sal is more nimble believe it or not