Rallon R5 Bible of Bikes review is out.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Rallon R5 Bible of Bikes review is out.

The new Rallon pretty much passed with flying colors across the board and 2 of the 5 testers that rode the Rallon picked it as their #1 choice with one other person having it as runner up. None of the ladies rode the bike due to sizing.

The Sentinel was compared H2H but even before this shootout I knew the Sentinel would not be as good of an all a rounder as well as heavier even with the Carbon frame being available. The R5 is a stout and stiff frame but still can come in at the 29 pound range with pedals if you go Gucci. The Sentinel Carbon will probally get down to 31 pounds with pedals.

So many great choices but you can be sure the Rallon will make you a very happy owner if your patient and wait to get one when available.
    Yeti 2020 SB165
    Yeti 2019 SB150
    Yeti 2019 SB130 AXS
    Yeti 2018 SB100 AXS

Pos rep makes me sad
    Saw someone go from '15 Yeti ASRc, to '16 Spider 275, to '17 RIP9 RDO, to '18 Rallon. Has one of the manager positions at a well known dealer, JensonUSA. I think he has good taste in bikes. I should ask him if I could take it for a spin.

Get weight low enough and these bigger bikes start to really out-do themselves as 1-bike-does-it-all quiver killers. Lighter weight really does play a huge role in making their ride experience enjoyable, without losing the stout and stable feeling. It sort of lends a playful nature to the bike without needing a short wheelbase or poppy progressive spring rate.

I really liked the Spider's balance for an aggro position (shoulders forward, about inline with elbows), but it gave up a lot of momentum when riding fast. It tired me out, trying to ride it as fast as I do on 29ers. Seemed more for stop-n-go tighter trails, where there's a lot of braking and accelerating, not faster flowier open trails. No real ride-experience comment on the RIP9 RDO... kind of strikes me as an Enduro 29 all-rounder bike that appeals to those seeking a cushy cheater bike, rather than a high performance oriented race-worthy bike like a SB55 is. Rallon vs SB55 with longer travel, go? xD
    Tell me when I'm wrong. Neg rep me. I will appreciate it, even if you don't explain why I'm wrong.

mtbr member
    I bought the entry level M10 for $4650 from Jenson and sold off the stock wheels and cockpit and then bought so Santa Cruz Reserve 30 wheels and put a Renthal cockpit and the bike is outstanding and rides lighter than it's 30 pound scale weight even with DHF/Aggressor combo. And the bike hits all the numbers spot on without going crazy like Pole or Nicolai. I'm 5'10" with a 32" inseam and I'm running a 170mm dropper on my size Large and I'm loving that extra 20mm of drop. 40mm Renthal stem and 780mm bars have me positioned perfectly.

Also the big surprise for me is how great a shock the DPX2 is since I went for the lower spec model. I'm not feeling the need to upgrade to the X2 at all and I've had an X2 on 2 of my Yeti's in the past and I love that shock.
    Yeti 2020 SB165
    Yeti 2019 SB150
    Yeti 2019 SB130 AXS
    Yeti 2018 SB100 AXS

Pos rep makes me sad
    Rallon R5 Bible of Bikes review is out.-screen-shot-2017-06-11-19.42.59.jpg

Kind of avoided these kind of shocks, since they can't be serviced without sending them out to a shop that has a vacuum bleeder. $150, vs something you can do yourself. They do have very interesting designs though.
    Tell me when I'm wrong. Neg rep me. I will appreciate it, even if you don't explain why I'm wrong.

mtbr member
    I own a DVO Topaz and love that shock. It's the best airshock I've used and 100% user serviceable. That being said I'll be keeping the DPX2 on my Rallon
    Yeti 2020 SB165
    Yeti 2019 SB150
    Yeti 2019 SB130 AXS
    Yeti 2018 SB100 AXS

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by skinnybex View Post
    I own a DVO Topaz and love that shock. It's the best airshock I've used and 100% user serviceable. That being said I'll be keeping the DPX2 on my Rallon
    That DPX2 feels so great because it's a custom tune. That said having ridden both shocks extensively I much preferred the X2. Still waiting on mine to get here, March , to try one with the DHX2.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Hey OP does the print article mention what size Rallon they tested and how tall are the ladies?

Anyways the videos and free website articles are interesting but at times I find them confusing\contradictory.

In the Rallon versus vid one of the guys says he finds the Sentinel more playful (less travel), but from the free article the opposite seems to be true; also if you read the evil vs smuggler free article they make the latter look like some sort of a tank (then by comparison what should the Sentinel and Rallon be considered?) while the same bike comes across quite differently in the dedicated review, more of a capable trail weapon.

It's all FWIW and opinions vary, but still.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gcann View Post
    Hey OP does the print article mention what size Rallon they tested and how tall are the ladies?

Anyways the videos and free website articles are interesting but at times I find them confusing\contradictory.

In the Rallon versus vid one of the guys says he finds the Sentinel more playful (less travel), but from the free article the opposite seems to be true; also if you read the evil vs smuggler free article they make the latter look like some sort of a tank (then by comparison what should the Sentinel and Rallon be considered?) while the same bike comes across quite differently in the dedicated review, more of a capable trail weapon.

It's all FWIW and opinions vary, but still.
    I really just read into what bike ultimately the testers chose as their favorite in the end. If they each ride 25 bikes out of 32 for instance and 2 chose it as their ultimate bike that says a lot. I think they had a Large and XL Frame.

Most of the stuff they spout off about is just fluff and they usually try and not dig to hard on a bike they may not like. Iím sure riding that many bikes in a 2 week period isnít exactly easyz

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by skinnybex View Post
    I really just read into what bike ultimately the testers chose as their favorite in the end. If they each ride 25 bikes out of 32 for instance and 2 chose it as their ultimate bike that says a lot. I think they had a Large and XL Frame.

Most of the stuff they spout off about is just fluff and they usually try and not dig to hard on a bike they may not like. Iím sure riding that many bikes in a 2 week period isnít exactly easyz
    Hey Skinny,
    Since you have been a strong proponent of Yeti, what made you try the Rallon over your 5.5 and how do the 2 compare now that you have had time on both of them?
    I agree with your comment about weight. I had a Wreck that was pretty close to 32 pounds and it was great in a straight line downhill but was really a pig (which is a comment made by one of the testers in the Bible) everywhere else. The Rallon has me interested in a LT 29er.
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gimmer View Post
    Hey Skinny,
    Since you have been a strong proponent of Yeti, what made you try the Rallon over your 5.5 and how do the 2 compare now that you have had time on both of them?
    I agree with your comment about weight. I had a Wreck that was pretty close to 32 pounds and it was great in a straight line downhill but was really a pig (which is a comment made by one of the testers in the Bible) everywhere else. The Rallon has me interested in a LT 29er.
    Thanks
    Check my other thread in the Orbea section ride review and I give my thoughts which still hold true on the Rallon V Yeti SB5.5 as well as a couple other LT 29íers.

The Yeti SB5.5 is still my favorite bike and is still faster from point A to point B. The Rallon would be number 2 for me overall and Iíve recently ridden the Slash 9.8 in Colombia 🇨🇴 which Iíd put 3rd Best.i give a detailed breakdown on strengths and weaknesses

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    I watched every video on there and find most of their opinions arenít very specific and it definitely changes depending on what type of rider they are. For me itís all about perspective. Iíd say more than half of the reviewers are more XC oriented riders who arenít hitting big drops and jumps. I donít know that for a fact, just the impression I get. They probably ride bikes that suit that style and that is what they use as a benchmark. It doesnít make it right or wrong, just changes how much value I put in their reviews.