Rallon internal cable noise- Mtbr.com
    mtbr platinum member

Rallon internal cable noise

I received me Rallon about a week ago and I seem to have some annoying cable noise. I think the majority of the noise is from the rear brake line. I tried pulling the cable tight and securing with zip ties but that didn't work. I also tired putting some of the fuzzy side of some adhesive backed velcro around the housing at the exit points (which I is where i thought it was occurring when i tried to recreate the noise). The rear brake cable exit points from the frame are tiny so it's tough to put any foam covers or anything too thick over the cables.

Any suggestions?
    Last edited by bikerx40; 08-28-2018 at 06:13 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    My Rallon is one of the first that left the Orbea factory, so I don't know if it is still the case, that the droper cable is not wrapped in noise protection foam.

I used this to make it silent: https://www.bike-components.de/de/ca...huelle-p60381/

mtbr platinum member
    I'm actually wondering if it is the SRAM GX derailleur clutch making the noise. It's almost a knocking sound when I go through rough sections. Almost like the rear shock linkage is loose (but it's not).

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Sounds like it might be the small cable tie holding the gear cable going into the chain stay. Mine made a clicking / creaking noise, just cut it off you donít need it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Mine was driving me crazy with the knocking sound. It ended up being the brake pads. I am running Saint brakes on mine, but if you have the 4 piston XT brakes, they could have the same issue. I found that if I dragged a brake through rough sections, the bike was silent. The fix was simple as all that I did was remove the pads and spread the spring between them wider. Now my Rallon is rattle/knock free on the rough downhills.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Hi,

Did you ever pinpoint the noise? My Rallon is fairly new, I have about 3 rides on it. The frame "clicks" quite a bit during pedaling lately. Initially there was a "honking" noise that appeared to come from the lower pivot. I removed the lower axel, lubed it and it seems to be better. I am getting a much more prominent click sound though when I pedal over terrain. I have a feeling the "Click" sound maybe coming from the lower pivot. The sound is similar to other bikes I've ridded that needed to have their bearings replaced. There does appear to be a sound/resistance associated from the back brake line when the shock is off.

Did you find a solution?

mtbr member
    I'm dealing with a click/pop & it's the polymer DU bushing in the top shock mount. My bike was silent all last year untill I had the shock serviced. About 30 miles after that the noise came. I found the DU bushing was quite worn despite supposedly being replaced. I replaced the bushings and all was good for about 15 miles. Something's going on I can't figure out. Not sure if the pin is slightly bent or the DU bushing doesn't like the angle the shock cycles at or what. My next move is to replace the pin or different bushings/pin altogether. I keep my stuff pretty dialed so this annoying.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    I seemed to have found a solution to my problem. The plastic clip stop where the brake line exits the chain stay was loose. The brake line does move a little when the suspension cycles. I lubed the threads on the screw for the clip stop and tightened down with a 2mm Allen key. Seems to have solved the problem, as least with a parking ride test. On a side note, I did remove the derailleur concentric nut and add more lock tight. I have heard those tend to come loose.