Orbea Occam 29 H30 sizing?- Mtbr.com
    TRANCER

Orbea Occam 29 H30 sizing?

Looking in to this bike. I ride a Large 2009 Giant Trance X but on Orbeas website its telling me I need a medium. I was going to order this bike online but am a bit worried about sizing. I feel perfect on my Trance X but I know some sizes are different depending on manufacturer. I am 5'11"........33" inseem...... 75"reach etc. Any help woukd be greatly appreciated. Not sure where around here they sell Orbeas and even after some research I cant find anywhere near me that deals them.
    Ride

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Biohazard74, I actually owned both and your dimensions and I would say go for the large. The medium was ok, but I felt off balanced. When I got the large it was a whole new bike balance and handling improved. Go with the large, I really recommend it.

TRANCER
    rzio thanks for the reply. I didn't see this until now My buddy sent me to a friend of his shop an hour and a half away from me and got fitted and rode both medium and large. I'm going to be honest with you... As soon as i got on them i knew right away the medium was it.(Maybe i had my measurements wrong?) Side by side with my Trance the sizes were very similar from just putting them side by side, not measuring... Took it for a good 3 hr ride. (Thanks to my buddy for putting in a good word for me and they allowed me to take off with it) The bike is definitely a huge change from my 5" travel 2009 26" Trance X. The way the bike handles is really nice(Trance X handles just as good honestly). But the acceleration is night and day with my old bike. I went ahead and paid for it and i get it next week I'm pretty stoked as its the first full suspension bike i buy since 2009. I can already tell what i will be upgrading on the bike. The wheels. I have my eye on some all black i9's with blue hub and nipples. Next week can't come soon enough
    Ride

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Biohazard, can you give a brief review of the occam tr h30 now that you've had it a few months? I'm considering this or the H50.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I went ahead and bought the H30. I'm 5'9" with 31-32" inseam. I rode both a medium and a large, and could have gone either way, but went with the medium. Haven't taken it on a real ride yet.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I was just wondering this same thing but between a medium and a small in the Occam S10 carbon. I've been looking for my wife, she's presently on an old Trek 26" wheel hardtail in a 17" frame size. We've been looking at this one
    https://theracery.com/collections/mo...s10-sm-blk-red
    I think the small will suit her better for singletrack riding.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Been riding the medium H30 for a few weeks now. Overall I like it. At first I was not sure about the fit. I installed a Giant dropper post which has zero offset, and I have slid the saddle as far back as possible. It's about right, but for a while I was trying to figure out how I was going to trade my post for one with some setback. I also swapped the bars (740mm straight) for the bars from my old bike: 680 mm with a 20 mm rise. The fit is good. I've since bought a 710mm RaceFace bar with 20mm rise but haven't installed--I think this will be just about right.

TRANCER
    Quote Originally Posted by paramount3 View Post
    Been riding the medium H30 for a few weeks now. Overall I like it. At first I was not sure about the fit. I installed a Giant dropper post which has zero offset, and I have slid the saddle as far back as possible. It's about right, but for a while I was trying to figure out how I was going to trade my post for one with some setback. I also swapped the bars (740mm straight) for the bars from my old bike: 680 mm with a 20 mm rise. The fit is good. I've since bought a 710mm RaceFace bar with 20mm rise but haven't installed--I think this will be just about right.
    Hey man, sorry i havent replied earlier but ive been slacking lately as far as riding goes. Been doing the whole over time thing at work. Sometimes i wonder if its worth it. LoL but i started riding religiously now for the past month once again and dont plan to stop anytime soon. As far as the bike goes i still pretty much have it completely stock as far as performance parts goes, but plan on getting some wheels very soon. Not sure what wheels just yet but am leanin towards the Havens or the Crank Brothers Cobalts. Im still running them on my 2009 Trance X and no problems whatsoever. But also have been looking at those I'9's. Lets see how Xmas treats me this year. As far as the fit and comfort of the bike goes, all i can say is that after a 2-3 hr ride nothing hurts. So must be right. Maybe i could use a slighy longer stem with a slightly higher rise. But thats not a priority so far. I plan to take a trip soon to Santos Alafia and Balm Boyett. So ill be back and tell you guys how it felt riding for a few extra hours. As far as performance goes it has performed great. My only real complaints woumd be with the wheels and the drive train a close second. Sorry if my spelling is a bit off or my grammer is off but im posting in a hurry from work
    Ride

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I'll post an update. I've put over 1000 miles on the bike now. The bike is stock except for the following: 710 mm bars with 20 mm rise, some large diameter RaceFace grips, a Fizik-clone saddle (the fit is great with the saddle slid as far back as possible), and a Giant 150 mm dropper seatpost. Running stock wheels and tires with Stan's tubeless sealant, usually 24-26 psi. I commute on the bike ~18 miles round trip, with only about 4 miles of that on trails, but so far the tires are holding up well, especially the front. I've hardly played with the fork at all. I've tried bumping up the pressure in the shock above recommended, since I tend to bottom out the rear easily, but it's a little bouncy that way. I had to ditch the seat pack because it rubs on the tire when I have the saddle dropped. Now I have a small seatpack strapped at the front of the frame triangle, just in front of the shock. I've had to change the brake pads once, I think.

I spent a lot of mental energy thinking about a 1x conversion while I was getting used to the dropper post, but now I really value the gear range I have with the 2x10 setup. It's also nice being able to drop in one shift from the 36 to the 22 in front instead of having to shift 3-4 gears in the rear.

Sometimes I wish I had a 27+ (to save my ass in steep rock gardens) but overall the 29er FS trail has been a great all around bike. I didn't do any serious test rides with any bikes, Orbea included, so it's hard to say that I like this better than I would have liked a Stumpjumper or Kona, etc. Sometimes it feels that the rear is loose laterally, which is ironic given that I went out of my way to get a boost bike. I think it's the wheels--they deform easily when I push with my hands. Even so, it's definitely a step up from my old bike, it rides well, has held up well, and it was a great deal. And I get a lot of curious looks--what is that bike?

TRANCER
    Yeah i'm getting that look as well... But those wheels do bend a lot... At one point i thought it was the tires but i eventually realized the wheels where flexing so much that it felt like i was running real low tire pressure.... I am brainstorming on wheels right now. The Havens are up there on the list
    Ride

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    FYI, I just removed the factory DT Swiss 1200 boost carbon from my 2017 Occamm TR Ltd and will be selling them. They have less than 100 miles on them.

Nothing wrong with them, I just wanted to use Onyx hubs so I had new wheels made (WTB cI24).

Message me if interested.