Occam 140mm vs 150mm- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Occam 140mm vs 150mm

Has anyone ridden this bike in both configurations that can give a comparison. I can't find anything online.

I demo'd an SB130 last weekend and really liked it, but I was wishing for a little more poppiness and playfulness. I decided a 150mm Occam might fit the bill so I am demoing the Occam this weekend. Problem is the demo version is the 140mm spec. I have been loving the Occam, it definitely gives me that lighter on the trail feeling, but it gives up something to the Yeti on both fast flowy descents and rough rocky ones. Is the 150mm 36 going to make up some of that difference?

I definitely like the price of the M10 over the similarly equipped T1 SB130!

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    https://www.basquemtb.com/orbea-occam-2020-review/

Last paragraph put some light on this.

Class Clown
    can't really go wrong with the 36. yes most reviews have the 36 and I never heard anyone say they wished for less fork.

If you wanted to save money or have more of an XC bike....otherwise 36

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by pcbliss View Post
    Has anyone ridden this bike in both configurations that can give a comparison. I can't find anything online.

I demo'd an SB130 last weekend and really liked it, but I was wishing for a little more poppiness and playfulness. I decided a 150mm Occam might fit the bill so I am demoing the Occam this weekend. Problem is the demo version is the 140mm spec. I have been loving the Occam, it definitely gives me that lighter on the trail feeling, but it gives up something to the Yeti on both fast flowy descents and rough rocky ones. Is the 150mm 36 going to make up some of that difference?

I definitely like the price of the M10 over the similarly equipped T1 SB130!
    I demoed all three you mention: SB130, 140mm Occam, and 150mm Occam. Snag an M10 + Fox36, and don't look back

I was ready to want an SB130, but personally I didn't take to it at all. My experience was not the same as yours - I felt the SB130 gave up both playfulness and composure to the Occam, but I didn't ride the 140mm version in the rougher terrain.

Other point to qualify my comparison - I was coming off of a Devinci bike, and dialing the Occam suspension in felt pretty familiar. The SB130 demo was my first time on a switch infinity platform.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    I got an Occam a few weeks back after demoing one with the 140
    I definitely felt it could handle a 160 and ride all my typical tight, twisty, rocky technical singletrack.

I see ZERO downside to running a 36 either at 150 or 160
    I have held both the 34 and 36 in my hands and had a hard time detecting the weight difference.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I went ahead and bought the M10 with the 36 and just got back from my first ride with it. I am a ride leader for the local NICA team and it was a practice night so it wasn't a full out high speed night, but I was super happy with the difference the 36 made on my new bike over the demo. It really did bring it more in line with the yeti in terms of handling in both rough and flowy trails, but didn't cost anything in the climbing. I was extremely happy with how everything felt.

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    Did you have to wait longer for bike with 36?Did it had to be ordered via MyO?

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by muddy_pl View Post
    Did you have to wait longer for bike with 36?Did it had to be ordered via MyO?
    It was a wait until september or october to order it that way, so my shop made me a deal on doing a fork swap.

Class Clown
    i ordered an m30 with suspension and other upgrades on 6/27. had a ship date of 7/16 that got bumped to 7/21...hopefully!

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Occam 140mm vs 150mm

Delete

Landing Abuser
    Quote Originally Posted by dundundata View Post
    i ordered an m30 with suspension and other upgrades on 6/27. had a ship date of 7/16 that got bumped to 7/21...hopefully!
    I ordered on June 5th for a shipping date near the end of June. It got pushed to 7/16 near your first ship date, and then to 7/21 shortly after. Orbea customer service said the first delay was frame availability, next was component availability (upgraded to xtr brakes and fox 36), now it's assembly...

Maybe our bikes will be shipmates.

Ahoy matey.

Class Clown
    Quote Originally Posted by norcalgrenadier View Post
    I ordered on June 5th for a shipping date near the end of June. It got pushed to 7/16 near your first ship date, and then to 7/21 shortly after. Orbea customer service said the first delay was frame availability, next was component availability (upgraded to xtr brakes and fox 36), now it's assembly...

Maybe our bikes will be shipmates.

Ahoy matey.
    aye and delay 3 will be pirates, arrrrrrr

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Occam 140mm vs 150mm-img-2507-copy.jpg
    what about a 160 ;-)

def go for the 36/dpx2.....
    my trails are tiiiight and twisty...constantly up and down and our bigger rides climb 4-5K
    the 36 doesn't hurt the climbing or responsiveness one bit
    I actually just scored a root beer 36 which comes stock @160. I removed a 5mm spacer under the stem and counting 30% sag my bars are now 2mm higher..... doesn't suck :-)

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Nice. I wound getting it with new 36 at 150mm. Spent a little bit of time getting it tweaked and am blown away by how it handles everything. Now I just need to dial in a little more pop because it doesn't feel as lively as the bike I demo'd with the 140. I think I can do this with a little more low speed compression damping a faster low speed rebound.

Landing Abuser
    aye and delay 3 will be pirates, arrrrrrr
    Now you've got me nervously checking my shipping date daily for signs of ocean-going privateers. If it's delayed any longer, I'm gonna go broke from renting Ripleys to hold me over.

The 130 on the Ripley is enough for me getting back into the sport, but I'm coming from a 140mm fork on my hardtail so I'm pretty excited for the 36 at 150. With the long lead time on the order, I've had lots of time to stress over whether or not my $6k purchase will not be enough bike once I'm riding regularly again. Having the 36 helps curtail my fears of that.

Class Clown
    Well they updated the ship date it's now June 30 which is last month lol

Landing Abuser
    Well they updated the ship date it's now June 30 which is last month lol
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkMgAzpcI8k

Name:  Annotation 2020-07-22 102346.png
Views: 96
Size:  4.6 KB

I think one of my local shops has some S build Hightowers and Megatowers still on hand. Might pay them a visit today.

Class Clown
    The new Occam is supposed to be announced soon but who knows when those will be available. I did email Orbea to ask about the shipping.

They responded pretty quick and are going to contact the office in Spain. I don't know if you ordered anything else (I included an extra shock bolt with my order) and said that may have messed things up in the system.

Class Clown
    So the USA rep talked to Spain and said they will be assembling the bike today or tomorrow and ship out next week

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    So the USA rep talked to Spain and said they will be assembling the bike today or tomorrow and ship out next week
    Are they shipping a 2021 to you?
    Any upgrades (fork)?

mtbr member
    Jul 2020
    I'm in a similar situation. I just ordered my Occam h20 and it looks like I'll get the newer model. Off the top of my head there were some changes to the cranks and brakes, but nothing significant. Suspension components were the same. Price went up a $100.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    My buddy Wes at Velorangutan told me all the Occams he ordered for 2021 are going to be shipping with Fox 36/150s, he has a bunch on preorder already and will be doing them all in custom colors.. sweet!

I will be ordering a new one in a custom color and selling my month old M110 in the stock blue/orange, probably just move over the majority of the parts including the Inine carbon wheels, so, there will be a basically almost new one available in large soon.

Class Clown
    Quote Originally Posted by rstark18 View Post
    Are they shipping a 2021 to you?
    Any upgrades (fork)?
    Not that I am aware of, I was told they would be announcing the 2021 soon.

I did get the Fox36 so I'll see if it's the newer one.

Landing Abuser
    Mine just shipped out this morning. Seems like the 36s are to blame for the main delay.

Class Clown
    Quote Originally Posted by norcalgrenadier View Post
    Mine just shipped out this morning. Seems like the 36s are to blame for the main delay.

I'm pretty excited tbh my current rig is a 2007 spesh rockhopper (hardtail). It has been upgraded about as good as I can make it but the Occam is a whole different animal.

Landing Abuser

I'm pretty excited tbh my current rig is a 2007 spesh rockhopper (hardtail). It has been upgraded about as good as I can make it but the Occam is a whole different animal.
    Coming from a 2003 Kona Stuff myself

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    Sounds interesting combining with 150mm fork, anyone tried it already?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YbHos3JarQ

Btw. I don't have any experience with Fox - is 34 which comes with Occam, able to extend to 150mm with dedicated air shaft?

Class Clown
    Quote Originally Posted by muddy_pl View Post
    Sounds interesting combining with 150mm fork, anyone tried it already?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YbHos3JarQ

Btw. I don't have any experience with Fox - is 34 which comes with Occam, able to extend to 150mm with dedicated air shaft?
    did you do the orbea occam youtube search by upload date like i did

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    did you do the orbea occam youtube search by upload date like i did
    I'm not alone.