New Oiz - Page 4- Mtbr.com
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: New Oiz

mtbr member
    May 2011
    What's the standard size stem on the 2019/2020 Oiz? The FSA Slk stem.

Sent from my SHT-W09 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by kerpoise View Post
    What's the standard size stem on the 2019/2020 Oiz? The FSA Slk stem.

31.8 and Bottom of the geometry page.

SIZE CRANK STEM HANDLEBAR
    S-27 170 60 740
    S-29 170 60 740
    M-29 175 70 740
    L-29 175 70 740
    XL-29 175 90 740

mtbr member
    From the manual, page 4 :

https://www.orbea.com/downloads/prod...2020-EN-ES.pdf

Squidlock unlocks the full performance of the FOX DPS shocks, which allow you to choose from three position -Open, Medium and Firm- enabling the bike to conform to any terrain. With Squidlock you will be able to access that third middle position, enjoying the full potential of the DPS technology.

At the same time, Squidlock allows you to access to an intermediate position on the compression settings of FOX forks with GRIP cartridge (Performance Series).

FOX forks with FIT4 cartridge (Factory Series) will have 2 positions available (Firm and Open), but you will be able to tune the Open position compression setting with the black dial on top of the right leg.

If in the description of your FOX fork with FIT4 cartridge (Factory Series) it specifies “2Pos”, it will mean that when Squid-lock is in its middle position (DPS shock intermediate compression setting), it will mean that your fork will be kept in the Open mode, but you will be able to adjust the compression setting manually with the black dial.

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    Got my new Orbea Oiz M30 a couple of days ago and I rode it for the first time today. I'm really impressed by it, super fast bike and handles very well.
    My previous bike was a Radon hardtail of 2013, the Orbea is in a different league.

Since there seem to be a lot of discussions about shock and fork I wanted to share mine.

Shock: DZB7
    2020, FLOAT DPS, P-SE, A, Remote Up, PTU, Evol SV, Rebound Reverse, Orbea, Oiz, 190, 40, 0.2 Spacer, DCL, DRM, CMF, No Logo

Fork: DPS8
    2020 Performance Series 32 FLOAT Grip REM PTU
    2020, 32, A, FLOAT SC, 29in, P-S, 100, Grip, Remote, Psh-Unlk, (10pm CP), Matte Blk, No Logo, 15QRx110, 1.5 T, 44mm Rake, OE

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by madskatingcow View Post
    From the manual, page 4 :

https://www.orbea.com/downloads/prod...2020-EN-ES.pdf

Squidlock unlocks the full performance of the FOX DPS shocks, which allow you to choose from three position -Open, Medium and Firm- enabling the bike to conform to any terrain. With Squidlock you will be able to access that third middle position, enjoying the full potential of the DPS technology.

At the same time, Squidlock allows you to access to an intermediate position on the compression settings of FOX forks with GRIP cartridge (Performance Series).

FOX forks with FIT4 cartridge (Factory Series) will have 2 positions available (Firm and Open), but you will be able to tune the Open position compression setting with the black dial on top of the right leg.

If in the description of your FOX fork with FIT4 cartridge (Factory Series) it specifies “2Pos”, it will mean that when Squid-lock is in its middle position (DPS shock intermediate compression setting), it will mean that your fork will be kept in the Open mode, but you will be able to adjust the compression setting manually with the black dial.
    Yep.

My 34 SC is 2-position.

My '19 Fox DPS only has two positions though.

Poor advertising from Orbea, it's entirely misleading.

I'm not hugely bothered, as I pretty much assumed that would be the case - and the integrated lever is far better than the horrible fox one. It's actually much nicer than the Scott Spark 3-pos lever.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    ...far better than the horrible fox one...
    I like the fox lever quite a bit actually, it is smaller and works way better than the Rockshox Remote X Loc Full Sprint on my last bike (much harder to push).
    I just wish the fox remote didn't have the integrated clamp band to give a little more mounting flexibility.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by HyperSprite View Post
    I like the fox lever quite a bit actually, it is smaller and works way better than the Rockshox Remote X Loc Full Sprint on my last bike (much harder to push).
    I just wish the fox remote didn't have the integrated clamp band to give a little more mounting flexibility.
    You could hacksaw it off, and then mount to a SRAM clamp.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    What is everyone doing for a frame bag? Ideally looking for something that fits inside the top of the front triangle.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Hey

One question?
    Can you mount Magura MT8 brakes on 2019 Orbea Oiz?

Thx

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Corpus.iuris. View Post
    Hey

One question?
    Can you mount Magura MT8 brakes on 2019 Orbea Oiz?

Thx
    It looks like it should, the flatmount is one of the selling points for the caliper.

I only discovered how close the rear brake mounts recently, they put the caliper paper thin close to the rear chainstay!

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Has anyone had to adjust the chain guide? Mine seems to be off.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by tuckerjt07 View Post
    Has anyone had to adjust the chain guide? Mine seems to be off.

Weird. That almost looks like a non-boost chainring/chainset.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Weird. That almost looks like a non-boost chainring/chainset.

It came on the bike. I noticed the guide had worked loose so tightened everything back up and that's how it fit. Possibly missing a shim somewhere?

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    It came on the bike. I noticed the guide had worked loose so tightened everything back up and that's how it fit. Possibly missing a shim somewhere?

I tried a non-boost chainring for a short time and it looked liked your picture. My guide didn't have a shim or spacer. With a boost chainring, the guide is fairly centered. I don't think a guide is needed. I took mine off and made a plastic plug to cover the exposed hole.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    It's fairly easy, but you will need one or two (depending on width) very small washers to space out the guide from the frame. I think mine came with 2 very small ones.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by tlechnow View Post
    It's fairly easy, but you will need one or two (depending on width) very small washers to space out the guide from the frame. I think mine came with 2 very small ones.
    Where do they sit? On the screw or on the insert part into the frame? I'm not unfamiliar with guides and shimming but the built in part of this one is a new twist.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Where do they sit? On the screw or on the insert part into the frame? I'm not unfamiliar with guides and shimming but the built in part of this one is a new twist.

Page 12
    https://www.orbea.com/us-en/support/...Z-OMR-2019-EN/

I swapped out my XT Crank for a RaceFace Crank and the chainguide was close but not exactly centered. Swapped out the spacer that was in there with 2 or 3 #6 Washers from Lowes. Worked perfect. You might have to pull the crank to get the guide on and off. And as someone pointed out earlier in this thread don't take screw #4 out, it's kind of pain to get back in.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by riding29 View Post
    Page 12
    https://www.orbea.com/us-en/support/...Z-OMR-2019-EN/

I swapped out my XT Crank for a RaceFace Crank and the chainguide was close but not exactly centered. Swapped out the spacer that was in there with 2 or 3 #6 Washers from Lowes. Worked perfect. You might have to pull the crank to get the guide on and off. And as someone pointed out earlier in this thread don't take screw #4 out, it's kind of pain to get back in.
    Thanks that's exactly what I was looking for. I made the mistake of taking screw 4 out, ended up using a hex key to hold that nut while turning the bolt with another. I was able to get it off and on with everything attached by dropping the chain and rotating the assembly clockwise.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Thanks that's exactly what I was looking for. I made the mistake of taking screw 4 out, ended up using a hex key to hold that nut while turning the bolt with another. I was able to get it off and on with everything attached by dropping the chain and rotating the assembly clockwise.

Before you do anything, can you make sure your crank is actually tight? If it's wandered off the splines, you'll want to get it back on there.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Before you do anything, can you make sure your crank is actually tight? If it's wandered off the splines, you'll want to get it back on there.

It's the shims that the Blue Paper references. I thought it was odd that I had none. I have a few laying around from an MRP for my Rallon that should do the trick.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    It took one large and two small shims from the MRP kit and all is well.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Does anyone know if the 2020 non-tr M10 comes with squidlock + dropper remote? I already have a dropper, and thought it would be rad to add it when I need it without buying another squidlock or 2x lever.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Ksanman View Post
    Does anyone know if the 2020 non-tr M10 comes with squidlock + dropper remote? I already have a dropper, and thought it would be rad to add it when I need it without buying another squidlock or 2x lever.
    Given that a non-dropper Oiz doesn't even come with the extra cable pass through for the dropper (just the installed blanking plate), I would assume it would come with the squidlock version without the dropper lever but I have no proof.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Ksanman View Post
    You’d have to buy the other version of squidlock (with remote) or a separate dropper remote. There was a post earlier in this thread or in the squidlock thread that confirmed that models that don’t come with a dropper come with the squidlock version that is for lockout only.

mtbr member
    Hi,

I'm just about ready to buy an OIZ frame and I have a few questions and ideas you guys might be able to help with. I'm buying the frame by itself which only comes with the 190x40mm XC tuned shock. However my build will be more TR style (dropper, 120mm fork, etc).

My main issue is that I loathe remote lockout systems and almost always run my shocks full-open even for KOM hunting. I've already pedaled around on a TR build in my size and validated that it's got enough anti squat that it will be open for 99% of my riding.

My initial thought was to simply buy an aftermarket Fox 190x45mm shock but the only one I can find is 972-01-432 which has an LV eyelet/aircan (bigger and the SV the bike ships with) and I assume linear-ish valving. I'm not too considered with the linear valving but I am concerned about clearance and the increased air chamber size impact on kinematics. E.g. If it will be too hard to tune to my liking.

I've already contacted Fox and Orbea about this and Fox said they'd be willing to rebuild the existing shock as a 3 pos eyelet, which I will very likely do at some point, but I think I would like to have the option of running the bike in "trail" mode with my own 45mm stroke shock and put the 40mm XC tuned shock in for racing and KOM attempts. e.g. Keep two shocks; one rebuilt from the stock XC tune to remove the remote-lockout, and one aftermarket LV aircan for marathon days.

So here are my questions:

1. Can a 3-pos non-remote-lockout LV EVOL aircan/eyelet shock fit into a XL OIZ frame (even if backwards)?
    2. What size are the bushings for an OIZ (I can't find the actual bushings required in the blue paper)?
    3. Has anyone ever experimented with a rockshox options?

Some other info that might help:
    I'm 6'2", 170-180lbs, going to get the XL size. And I have a big travel bike for my more "extreme" activity. this is my go fast bike and will replace my hardtail, which I simply can't ride anymore (need rear sus).

Cheers.

PS: My build will be white with black logo and a orange 34SC fork. Sort of like VDP's canyon lux.

mtbr member
    Manitou McLeod. Boom. Done.

I run one on my Oiz. Read through this thread if you need more info.
    by Silentfoe
    I'm satisfied knowing that what I wear during my "day" job makes me more of a man than you'll ever be.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mayfield View Post
    Hi,

I'm just about ready to buy an OIZ frame and I have a few questions and ideas you guys might be able to help with. I'm buying the frame by itself which only comes with the 190x40mm XC tuned shock. However my build will be more TR style (dropper, 120mm fork, etc).

My main issue is that I loathe remote lockout systems and almost always run my shocks full-open even for KOM hunting. I've already pedaled around on a TR build in my size and validated that it's got enough anti squat that it will be open for 99% of my riding.

My initial thought was to simply buy an aftermarket Fox 190x45mm shock but the only one I can find is 972-01-432 which has an LV eyelet/aircan (bigger and the SV the bike ships with) and I assume linear-ish valving. I'm not too considered with the linear valving but I am concerned about clearance and the increased air chamber size impact on kinematics. E.g. If it will be too hard to tune to my liking.

I've already contacted Fox and Orbea about this and Fox said they'd be willing to rebuild the existing shock as a 3 pos eyelet, which I will very likely do at some point, but I think I would like to have the option of running the bike in "trail" mode with my own 45mm stroke shock and put the 40mm XC tuned shock in for racing and KOM attempts. e.g. Keep two shocks; one rebuilt from the stock XC tune to remove the remote-lockout, and one aftermarket LV aircan for marathon days.

So here are my questions:

1. Can a 3-pos non-remote-lockout LV EVOL aircan/eyelet shock fit into a XL OIZ frame (even if backwards)?
    2. What size are the bushings for an OIZ (I can't find the actual bushings required in the blue paper)?
    3. Has anyone ever experimented with a rockshox options?

Some other info that might help:
    I'm 6'2", 170-180lbs, going to get the XL size. And I have a big travel bike for my more "extreme" activity. this is my go fast bike and will replace my hardtail, which I simply can't ride anymore (need rear sus).

Cheers.

PS: My build will be white with black logo and a orange 34SC fork. Sort of like VDP's canyon lux.
    You're not going to be bothered swapping shocks, even if it sounds like a nice idea. So just get the shock that's right for the majority of your riding. Which sounds like getting the XC shock reshimmed to the tr length by Fox.

Personally, I'd ride the current shock until it needs a service, and then get it reshimmed at the same time. It's the best value option, and the bike isn't going to be massively different in XC or TR shock mode. Most of the difference comes from the slightly slacker HA, and slightly higher stack from the 120 fork.

The remote is actually a really brilliant idea for an XC bike like the OIZ, it really changes the behaviour on flat climbs.

mtbr member
    You're not going to be bothered swapping shocks, even if it sounds like a nice idea. So just get the shock that's right for the majority of your riding. Which sounds like getting the XC shock reshimmed to the tr length by Fox.

Personally, I'd ride the current shock until it needs a service, and then get it reshimmed at the same time. It's the best value option, and the bike isn't going to be massively different in XC or TR shock mode. Most of the difference comes from the slightly slacker HA, and slightly higher stack from the 120 fork.

The remote is actually a really brilliant idea for an XC bike like the OIZ, it really changes the behaviour on flat climbs.

The best value option is a $288 McLeod. Now he has two shocks like he wants.

One that pedals great which can be left open all the time with 4 on the fly settings, and his original XC shock he can race with or sell with the frame if he gets rid of it.

Sending stuff to Fox to change it is downtime and expensive. Also lowers the value of his frame when it's time to sell.
    by Silentfoe
    I'm satisfied knowing that what I wear during my "day" job makes me more of a man than you'll ever be.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Zerort View Post
    The best value option is a $288 McLeod. Now he has two shocks like he wants.

One that pedals great which can be left open all the time with 4 on the fly settings, and his original XC shock he can race with or sell with the frame if he gets rid of it.

Sending stuff to Fox to change it is downtime and expensive. Also lowers the value of his frame when it's time to sell.
    Here in the UK it would be about Ģ150 to get the shock changed. And I could send it Monday, and have it back Thursday.

I can't see how it would devalue the frame, he'd have a TR frame instead of an XC frame then.

I've been down the same road of having two shocks for different types of riding, and it's just an extra faff to swap them over - even if it's dead easy on the Oiz.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tlechnow View Post

The bike will gain a little weight in the near future. I have a 9point8 Fall Line R 150mm dropper coming next week. I also plan on replacing the QR that came with the 34 SC with a bolt on axle, so that will offset the weight gain by about 40 grams.
    I'm curious what the weight is with the fall line R installed and how it has been performing for you. I'm looking at a very similar build on my just-ordered Oiz frame. My short list for droppers are the fall line R 150mm, KS LEV CI 175mm and one up v2 180mm.

Also, pics of the dropper installed would be cool to see.

mtbr member
    Update on my frame purchase. Ordered a MYO build through my local shop (Meridian Cycles) who were really helpful. We'll send the XC tuned shock the frame comes with into Fox when it arrives for conversion to standard 3 position lockout eyelet. It also looks like the frame probably has clearance for a LV eyelet/aircan, so I'll probably do another test fitting once I send the XC shock to fox and if it looks safe buy the EVOL LV shock for the 45mm trail option.

Regarding the shock swap. You'd have to know me but I promise you it's something I'll actually do. Lol.

If the LV eyelet doesn't work or is too tight I'll definitely consider the Mcleod; thanks for the tip!

Here is what it should look like..

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    I'm curious what the weight is with the fall line R installed and how it has been performing for you. I'm looking at a very similar build on my just-ordered Oiz frame. My short list for droppers are the fall line R 150mm, KS LEV CI 175mm and one up v2 180mm.

I'll take a picture tonight. I have a M10R TR with a 150mm FallLine R, Formula R1Rs, Deity Cockpit with carbon bar, and Invisiframe, everything else is stock and it's a little over 25lbs without pedals.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016

Saddle height of 30.5" as it sits. FallLine R 150mm.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014

I've got the 150mm Fall Line R since June and it's been flawless. I'm using it with the X-fusion bat remote tucked in behind the fox remote. In retrospect, I could have gone 175mm but this has worked very well for me so I'm not sure it matters.

My favorite feature is the head. The tilt and fore/aft are separate adjustments so I can move the seat forward or backwards without having to worry I've thrown off the angle or vice versa.

Note: if you buy the dropper, get an extra seal and some of their special lube at the same time. I haven't needed either yet but I like to be prepared and shipping on those separately was 4 x the price of the order.

For reference the frame is a large and wear a 34" inseam. The FSA post that came with it was at the min depth line with the seat in the same height.

New Oiz-20190809_155454.jpgNew Oiz-20190524_091619-2-.jpgNew Oiz-20190623_103728_hdr.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2013

My 150mm Fall Line R dropper is 441g without the actuator. Based on what someone else posted here, the actuator is probably about 8g. New Oiz-img_20191030_164332.jpg

My bike complete, ready to roll with pedals, computer mount, 2 bottle cages, saddle bag mount and 2.35 and 2.25 Vittoria Mezcals is right at 23.5 lbs.
    New Oiz-img_20191030_165441.jpg

Saddle down and up on a XL frame with a 830mm center of BB to saddle rail height.

New Oiz-img_20191030_170518.jpg

New Oiz-img_20191030_170533.jpg

Dropper has been good so far. I had a little issue with it being a little fussy in the cold at an event I did that was about 32 degrees Fahrenheit at the start. The issue was it didn't want to stay down or up. It was migrating over time. I emailed support at 9point8 and they instructed me to move the t-bar down a little. I did that, but haven't had the occasion to ride it again in the cold yet. In warmer temps it has been flawless and once it warmed up about 30 minutes into that event it was fine.

mtbr member
    Awesome,

Thanks for all the info on the fallline R guys!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by quax View Post
    Just got a 2020 Oiz frameset and have built up my new race rig. Really impressed by the frame. However, like some others I struggle a bit with the rear suspension set up.

On another forum I read "hardtail like", "super firm", "lockout lie" and more like this. Well, "firm" is definitely firmer than "open" but it's more like a stiffer platform than like a lockout.

Since I've already had to deal with faulty brand new Fox elements in the past I'm just wondering if the Oiz damper behaves as it should.

What is your experience? Do you have 0% sag when in firm? No bounce at all when cruising along at higher cadence in the flats?

Orbea speaks of a "low sag design" w/r to the Oiz. Not sure what that's supposed to mean but I get almost the same sag when in firm and open. Firm is - well - just firmer (what a statement ...).

Would really appreciate to hear your experiences, talking suspension set ups is always sort of fuzzy.
    On my new 2020 Orbea Oiz with the remote lockout turned on the fork and rear shock is super stiff, as in you can push down on the fork or saddle and there isn't even a hint of the shocks moving.

I tried a demo 2019 Orbea Oiz a few months ago and that was the same too, completely locked out.

mtbr member
    Water bottles on the seat tube of a Large frame
    Shown shortest to tallest, the last bottle for each is touching the shock so it's a no-go.

Specialized Carbon Z cage lowest mounting position.
    Note that the Specialized Ribcage mounts at the same level.

Attachment 1262989
    Attachment 1262991
    Attachment 1262987

Arundel Other Sideloader Carbon Bottle Cage lowest mounting position.

Attachment 1262985
    Attachment 1262997
    Attachment 1262995
    Attachment 1262983
    Attachment 1262993
    I'd just like to say thank you for posting these pictures. It's much appreciated as it saved me so much time working out what bottle cages I needed for my new size Large Orbea Oiz to carry double bottles.

I went with Arundel Other bottle cages as I use the Specialized Purist bottles as in your bottom picture (yellow Deathride bottle in the photos above). To get the bottle to fit on the seat tube without touching the rear shock if you file down the Arundel water bottle cage mount holes slightly the cage can be dropped down another mm or two so the mouthpiece of the bottle clears the shock fully.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Water bottles on the seat tube of a Large frame
    Shown shortest to tallest, the last bottle for each is touching the shock so it's a no-go.

Specialized Carbon Z cage lowest mounting position.
    Note that the Specialized Ribcage mounts at the same level.

Attachment 1262989
    Attachment 1262991
    Attachment 1262987

Arundel Other Sideloader Carbon Bottle Cage lowest mounting position.

Attachment 1262985
    Attachment 1262997
    Attachment 1262995
    Attachment 1262983
    Attachment 1262993
    I'd try a Problem Solvers Bottle Cage Height Adjuster. It let me run two full-sized Fidlocks.

mtbr member
    Here's a picture of my 2020 Size Large Orbea Oiz with the Arundel Other sideloader cages and a pair of Specialized 26oz (738ml) water bottles in the frame.

This is with the modified bottle cage so that the water bottle on the seat tube doesn't hit the shock.

I've also attached an indoor picture of the top tube of my bike. This is the stock colour scheme of gloss metallic graphite and matt black paint. The Oiz logo is picked out in metallic gold. You can't mix and match gloss and matt in the MYO colour configurator.

I think this might be the same as tuckerjt07's Orbea Oiz? The frame has had a layer of IGL ceramic protective coating applied also which emphasises the shine a bit.

https://iglcoatings.uk/ecocoat-bike/

I was a bit unsure what it would look like as it was a case of buying it unseen. The website picture makes Orbea metallic graphite seem like "Audi graphite grey metallic" which is a metallic greyish silver. It's similar but the metallic graphite on my bike is actually a bit darker when you stand it next to an Audi for comparison. When you see it outside in natural daylight the bike is extremely dark unless there's a direct light on it. At first glance from a distance the whole bike looks murdered out, close to all black, and all you see are the gold kashima fork stanchions until you look closer, particularly as it has a black fork and there's a lot of black around the headtube at the front.

The matt black parts are raised so you have two different levels of paint and a nice textured feel. Although it's called matt black it looks a lot more like satin black.

It will be interesting to see how well the paint lasts. The 2019 demo bike I had to try (the matt blue and red colour scheme) had some really bad paint chips in its finish with white primer showing through.

New Oiz-2020_orbea_oiz_bottles.jpgNew Oiz-2020_orbea_oiz_top_tube.jpg
    Last edited by WR304; 3 Weeks Ago at 01:26 PM.

mtbr member
    The current Orbea Oiz frame uses a PF92 press fit bottom bracket.

As stock my bike came with a Shimano press fit plastic bottom bracket which felt horrible, the bearings were super stiff. It would maybe have loosened up a little with use but if I'm stuck with a press fit bottom bracket my preference is for a thread together style bottom bracket. On my 2016 Specialized Epic I had a Praxis PF30 conversion bottom bracket which was brilliant and lasted really well.

Praxis don't do a PF92 threaded model unfortunately so I've gone for a Wheels Manufacturing BB86/92 thread together angular contact BB for Shimano cranks (black) which is the correct version for an Orbea Oiz. The two parts of the bottom bracket are threaded together so that they are held tightly in place to stop creaking when riding.

https://wheelsmfg.com/bb86-92-outboa...nks-black.html

New Oiz-bb86-out-ac.600px_2.jpg

This picture shows the Wheels Manufacturing bottom bracket installed (without the bearing shields in place). The bearings feel nice, turning smoothly by hand.

New Oiz-2020_orbea_oiz_wheels_manufacturing.jpg

mtbr member
    Should have just bought a BB Infinite and called it a day.
    by Silentfoe

mtbr member
    Should have just bought a BB Infinite and called it a day.
    I tried a BB Infinite bottom bracket several years ago on one of my Specialized Epics. The BB Infinite bottom brackets are one piece but don't have any kind of locking ring and push in from one side. At the time the instructions were to use a supplied retaining compound, rather than epoxy so the bottom bracket isn't actually glued in (it might have changed since then). The BB Infinite bottom bracket walked out of the frame after just a couple of rides, jamming the crank on the frame. To say I was unimpressed was an understatement.

They're firmly in my boycott category which I'll never use again, right up there with SRAM brakes!

Picture attached of the BB Infinite in my 2012 Epic after it walked out of the frame:

New Oiz-2012_epic_bbinfinite_walked.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by WR304 View Post
    Here's a picture of my 2020 Size Large Orbea Oiz with the Arundel Other sideloader cages and a pair of Specialized 26oz (738ml) water bottles in the frame.

This is with the modified bottle cage so that the water bottle on the seat tube doesn't hit the shock.

I've also attached an indoor picture of the top tube of my bike. This is the stock colour scheme of gloss metallic graphite and matt black paint. The Oiz logo is picked out in metallic gold. You can't mix and match gloss and matt in the MYO colour configurator.

I think this might be the same as tuckerjt07's Orbea Oiz? The frame has had a layer of IGL ceramic protective coating applied also which emphasises the shine a bit.

https://iglcoatings.uk/ecocoat-bike/

I was a bit unsure what it would look like as it was a case of buying it unseen. The website picture makes Orbea metallic graphite seem like "Audi graphite grey metallic" which is a metallic greyish silver. It's similar but the metallic graphite on my bike is actually a bit darker when you stand it next to an Audi for comparison. When you see it outside in natural daylight the bike is extremely dark unless there's a direct light on it. At first glance from a distance the whole bike looks murdered out, close to all black, and all you see are the gold kashima fork stanchions until you look closer, particularly as it has a black fork and there's a lot of black around the headtube at the front.

The matt black parts are raised so you have two different levels of paint and a nice textured feel. Although it's called matt black it looks a lot more like satin black.

It will be interesting to see how well the paint lasts. The 2019 demo bike I had to try (the matt blue and red colour scheme) had some really bad paint chips in its finish with white primer showing through.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2020_Orbea_Oiz_bottles.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	274.9 KB 
ID:	1292447Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2020_Orbea_Oiz_top_tube.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	236.4 KB 
ID:	1292449
    Yep, here are some pics of mine.

mtbr member
    Yep, here are some pics of mine.
    It looks smart with the TR 120mm travel upgrade kit and Fox 34 fork on there. Did the shop swap out all those parts on it from new for you as there's been a lot of changes from the stock bike there? I've spent many weeks looking closely at the previous pictures you've posted in the past trying to work out exactly what colour you had whilst waiting for my bike to arrive.

Those pictures are like the ones I've taken where from some angles it looks like the bike is all black, and then the metallic grey shines through at other angles. It's quite an interesting paint finish to look at as it changes so much depending on the light it's in.

Orbea have another grey that they call anthracite too. I've seen that on a gloss black/ anthracite Orbea Alma hardtail show bike in the shop. Although the Orbea anthracite looks similar to the Orbea metallic graphite grey on the website pictures the anthracite is actually quite a bit lighter I think.

What's funny is that the head tube on an Orbea Oiz is really short at 100mm in the Large size. When you see pictures of an Orbea Oiz with a 20mm stack of spacers under the stem that's actually the same as something like a 2020 Specialized Epic with the stem slammed on the headset bearing! Mine is the same to get the position I had on my old bike all the spacers are under the stem.

https://www.orbea.com/gb-en/bicycles...alma-29-m-team

Pictured below: Orbea Alma hardtail in the gloss black / anthracite colour scheme.

New Oiz-orbea_alma_anthracite.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    It looks smart with the TR 120mm travel upgrade kit and Fox 34 fork on there. Did the shop swap out all those parts on it from new for you as there's been a lot of changes from the stock bike there? I've spent many weeks looking closely at the previous pictures you've posted in the past trying to work out exactly what colour you had whilst waiting for my bike to arrive.

Those pictures are like the ones I've taken where from some angles it looks like the bike is all black, and then the metallic grey shines through at other angles. It's quite an interesting paint finish to look at as it changes so much depending on the light it's in.

Orbea have another grey that they call anthracite too. I've seen that on a gloss black/ anthracite Orbea Alma hardtail show bike in the shop. Although the Orbea anthracite looks similar to the Orbea metallic graphite grey on the website pictures the anthracite is actually quite a bit lighter I think.

What's funny is that the head tube on an Orbea Oiz is really short at 100mm in the Large size. When you see pictures of an Orbea Oiz with a 20mm stack of spacers under the stem that's actually the same as something like a 2020 Specialized Epic with the stem slammed on the headset bearing! Mine is the same to get the position I had on my old bike all the spacers are under the stem.

https://www.orbea.com/gb-en/bicycles...alma-29-m-team

Pictured below: Orbea Alma hardtail in the gloss black / anthracite colour scheme.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Orbea_Alma_Anthracite.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	107.2 KB 
ID:	1292857
    Thanks, yeah several changes, 9Point8 FallLine R 150mm dropper, XTR bar clamp shifter, Formula R1R brakes and centerlock rotors, RaceFace Next R cranks (why not SLs aren't much lighter and I had two spare sets lying around) with a Cinch Power meter, Deity cockpit and Fidlock bottles/cages. I swapped most myself. I don't have a bearing press so they did BB for me.

Mine also has a gloss Invisiframe on it so that makes the color a little different.

Yeah, stack is short on the bike. I'll probably end up having to get a higher rise bar but going to try a few tweaks to see if I can make it work first. The cockpit is very similar to my Rallon and I would like to keep it that way.

mtbr member
    Thanks, yeah several changes, 9Point8 FallLine R 150mm dropper, XTR bar clamp shifter, Formula R1R brakes and centerlock rotors, RaceFace Next R cranks (why not SLs aren't much lighter and I had two spare sets lying around) with a Cinch Power meter, Deity cockpit and Fidlock bottles/cages. I swapped most myself. I don't have a bearing press so they did BB for me.

Mine also has a gloss Invisiframe on it so that makes the color a little different.

Yeah, stack is short on the bike. I'll probably end up having to get a higher rise bar but going to try a few tweaks to see if I can make it work first. The cockpit is very similar to my Rallon and I would like to keep it that way.
    I'm 6' tall approx with a 34" inside leg.

What I did was to take all the measurements off my old bike, and then move the actual contact points across to the new one, S-Works carbon flat bars cut down to 720mm, 80mm -12 degree S-Works SL stem, Ergon GA3 grips and Specialized Power Mimic 143mm saddle. That makes it easy to replicate the position as there's no differing saddle lengths etc to allow for.

To get the saddle far enough back behind the bottom bracket (the Orbea Oiz has a steeper 75 degree seat angle which shifts the saddle forwards compared to my old bike) I've had to use a 25mm layback FSA K-Force light seatpost with the saddle as far back as possible and even then the reach to the handlebar is 5mm shorter than it was on my old bike. The saddle to handlebar bar drop is 6cm, exactly the same as before, so I'm going to have to leave all the spacers in under the stem.

It seems to be quite a small bike in relative terms. On Specialized I'd usually ride a Large and can squeeze onto a Medium at a push. For an Orbea Oiz Large is just at the limit and I could probably ride an XL without too much trouble.

This is the Fox website for putting the shock codes in to find what suspension is on the bike:

https://www.ridefox.com/fox17/help.php?m=bike

My 2020 Orbea Oiz M-Team 100mm travel bike (early November 2019 delivery) is the same codes as Madskatingcows friend's bike referenced a few posts back

Rear Shock Code: DZB5
    2019 Factory Series FLOAT
    2020_19, FLOAT DPS, F-S, K, Remote Up, PTU, Evol SV, Rebound Reverse, Orbea, Oiz, 190, 40, 0.2 Spacer, DCL, DRM, CMF, No Logo

Fork Code: DPQ5
    2020 Factory Series 32 FLOAT FIT4 REM ADJ PTU
    2020, 32, K, FLOAT SC, 29in, F-S, 100, FIT4, Remote-Adj, Psh-Unlk, 2Pos, (10pm CP), Matte Blk, No Logo, 15QRx110, 1.5 T, 44mm Rake, OE

Using advanced science (pushing down on the saddle and bars and watching the o-ring movement on the shocks) The Fox Stepcast 32 100mm travel fork is only 2 position, open or closed: Squidlock: fully locked out, Position 1 Open, Position 2 Open

The rear shock definitely seems to have 3 positions, due to the partial cable pull? When pushing down on the shock it's Squidlock: fully locked out, Position 1 partly open with some compression damping on, Position 2 full open with an extra 5mm of shock movement on the o-ring compared to Position 1

Bear in mind this bike has zero actual miles on it. As always switching bikes has been overly complex as the custom crank I need for my paralysed left leg was made specifically for a 2016 Specialized Epic and has clearance issues. I really wish my past self had had the foresight to stock up on parts that are now discontinued. It would have saved so much hassle now.

Here's a picture of my bike outside to show what the paint looks like in daylight. Edit: This on a slightly sunnier day. The brighter the light is the more silver the bike appears, the darker it is the more black the bike appears.

Pictured below: 2020 Orbea Oiz Metallic Graphite / Matt Black outdoors

New Oiz-2020_orbea_oiz_outdoors3.jpg
    Last edited by WR304; 2 Weeks Ago at 04:26 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    My OIZ M10 Squidlock didn't came well tuned because the fork was kept closed on the middle position and not as it should.

I was able to tune my Squidlock to have the Fork open in the middle and open positions tweaking the cable tension screws.
    Just a note that those screws are delicate and I managed to worn mine on the process.

Just another question: Has anyone been able to compare the DT XR 1650 with the DT 1700, DT 1900 or DT 1501? In term of weight, rim and hub?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by raptormig View Post
    My OIZ M10 Squidlock didn't came well tuned because the fork was kept closed on the middle position and not as it should.

I was able to tune my Squidlock to have the Fork open in the middle and open positions tweaking the cable tension screws.
    Just a note that those screws are delicate and I managed to worn mine on the process.
    You can fit inline barrel adjusters to the remote lockout cables. This allows you to adjust the cable tension without having to take the bike apart or damage the small screws. The suspension lockout cables are repurposed gear cables so you can use gear inline barrel adjusters:

eg: Jagwire inline barrel adjusters
    https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/cables/j...shift-housing/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zUhwdXj7wc

The 2019 Orbea Oiz demo bike I tried a few months ago came with these already installed whilst my 2020 Orbea Oiz didn't.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Hi,
    I would like to buy new bike next year and still donīt know if OIZ will be good for me, because it is marked as XC. Currently I still rode on my Giant Trance 2013 26er (125mm/125mm), in the past it was marked as trail bike. I expecting that today bikes are forward and something with similar fork travel will behave same as my Trance in terrain + will be more capable in uphill and faster on straight terrain (road, hardpack). So if fork/shock travel is currently OK for me and I donīt need more, but still need same quality in downhill and expecting faster and uphill ride, will be OIZ in TR version good? Also i like if the bike is capable of bunnyhop over obstacles or ride of manual on the road or from stairs, just bike for fun.

I looked on new Trance 29" or ride on Focus Jam in 27,5", maybe itīs due the size of tires 2,5", but it feels like a tank. I had demo version of OIZ M10 with 100mm fork for couple of minutes without dropper post so I cannot tested bunnyhop or how to move weight behind back wheel, but in the terrain I had pain in hands from the fork, maybe it was set to high for my weight or because it is just 100mm, donīt know. Before I returned a bike I tried it without seatpost for quick bunnyhop, but during jump it went fast on forward wheel maybe due inverse stem. But overall bike was maneuverable, fast and also I like the design.

I ride mainly from home some +15 km on flat surface, than uphill +500m and finally downhill in rocky/roots terrain and rode back or just traveling around and discover. I need mainly advantage in the part of "approach".

Thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dee-jays View Post
    Hi,
    I would like to buy new bike next year and still donīt know if OIZ will be good for me, because it is marked as XC. Currently I still rode on my Giant Trance 2013 26er (125mm/125mm), in the past it was marked as trail bike. I expecting that today bikes are forward and something with similar fork travel will behave same as my Trance in terrain + will be more capable in uphill and faster on straight terrain (road, hardpack). So if fork/shock travel is currently OK for me and I donīt need more, but still need same quality in downhill and expecting faster and uphill ride, will be OIZ in TR version good? Also i like if the bike is capable of bunnyhop over obstacles or ride of manual on the road or from stairs, just bike for fun.

I looked on new Trance 29" or ride on Focus Jam in 27,5", maybe itīs due the size of tires 2,5", but it feels like a tank. I had demo version of OIZ M10 with 100mm fork for couple of minutes without dropper post so I cannot tested bunnyhop or how to move weight behind back wheel, but in the terrain I had pain in hands from the fork, maybe it was set to high for my weight or because it is just 100mm, donīt know. Before I returned a bike I tried it without seatpost for quick bunnyhop, but during jump it went fast on forward wheel maybe due inverse stem. But overall bike was maneuverable, fast and also I like the design.

I ride mainly from home some +15 km on flat surface, than uphill +500m and finally downhill in rocky/roots terrain and rode back or just traveling around and discover. I need mainly advantage in the part of "approach".

Thanks
    You need an Ibis Ripley
    by Silentfoe

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Thanks
    Not sure an Oiz would be the right bike for you. The Oiz is designed as a race bike. And Race bikes sacrifice comfort for speed.

If you are looking at the Orbea line up something like their new Occam might be a better fit for you.
    "The best pace is suicide pace, and today is a good day to die." Steve Prefontaine

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by LMN View Post
    Not sure an Oiz would be the right bike for you. The Oiz is designed as a race bike. And Race bikes sacrifice comfort for speed.

If you are looking at the Orbea line up something like their new Occam might be a better fit for you.
    What about the Oiz TR?

Enviado desde mi GM1900 mediante Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fifo.M View Post
    What about the Oiz TR?

Enviado desde mi GM1900 mediante Tapatalk
    The TR is a race bike. It's the exact same bike.

The rear shock has 5mm more stroke. That's the only difference.

If you buy the whole bike the fork has 20mm more travel.

It's not a trail bike.
    by Silentfoe

mtbr member
    Hi,

Thanks
    That's quite an interesting comparison as your 2013 Giant Trance 125mm travel 26" wheel bike is what would have been called a trail bike in 2013 but when you compare it to a 2020 Orbea Oiz TR 120mm travel 29" bike the 2020 Orbea Oiz TR is following the current "longer, lower, slacker" fashion and is arguably more "trail" than your 2013 Giant. The 2020 Orbea Oiz TR has a 68 degree head angle compared to the 69.5 degree head angle of the Giant Trance and a Fox 34 fork whilst the 2013 Giant Trance came with a Fox 32 Talas fork.

This geometry chart (all lengths in mm) shows a Giant Trance 2013 125mm travel 26" next to the geometry for a 2020 Orbea Oiz TR 120mm travel 29". This Giant Trance is the X1 model. I think this may be the bike you have as it has a 125mm travel fork whilst the others are 120mm?

New Oiz-2020-orbea-oiz-giant-trance-2013-geometry.jpg

Giant Trance 2013:
    https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/trance-x1-2013

Orbea Oiz 2020
    https://www.orbea.com/gb-en/bicycles...0-tr/geometry/

There are a couple of changes from a 2013 bike to a 2020 bike that are worth looking at in a bit more detail.

The first one that will have a major influence is the switch from 26" wheels to the larger 29" wheels. I personally really like 29" wheels, the way they hold their speed and roll over obstacles that a 26" wheel would hang up on is nice. It does change the feel of a bike though, taking more effort to lift the front of the bike up off the ground I think. A bike with smaller wheels tends to be a bit more easy to flick around. Your own preference on this is going to heavily influence what you think of a particular bike.

The next one is that your 2013 Giant Trance is one of the last full suspension bikes to have a quick release axle for the rear wheel. I thought this was one of the most significant bike changes for making a handling improvement, particularly on a full suspension bike, as having a thru axle for the rear end stiffens the rear end up appreciably. Having a larger diameter stanchion Fox 34 fork on the front would help with stiffness over an older fork too. The switch to 148x12mm rear and 110x15mm front Boost spacing is a small improvement but I guess it adds a little on top.

When you're looking at these two bikes there is one big difference between the 2013 Giant Trance and 2020 Orbea Oiz Tr to be aware of. That is the head tube length and achievable handlebar height. For a size large frame the Orbea Oiz head tube is 40mm shorter than the Giant Trance and the TR version comes with a low rise stem and flat bar. If you look at this picture of a stock 2013 Giant Trance X1 you can see that it came with a stack of spacers under the stem, a positive rise stem and a riser handlebar on top. By eye I reckon that the height from the bottom of the head tube to the handlebar grip could be as much as 100mm higher on a stock 2013 Giant Trance size Large compared to a stock 2020 Orbea Oiz TR size Large

New Oiz-2013-giant-trance.jpg

This is most likely where your comments about hand pain came from as with the handlebars being so much lower than you're used to a higher percentage of your body weight would be carried through your arms. You'd want to make sure that you could achieve your preferred handlebar height on an Orbea Oiz to not have too much of a forwards weight bias. If you can get a demo bike, and then put some higher riser bars on it to see how that feels I'd try that.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    The TR is a race bike. It's the exact same bike.

The rear shock has 5mm more stroke. That's the only difference.

If you buy the whole bike the fork has 20mm more travel.

It's not a trail bike.
    It depends on how you want to use it or define "trail bike". The TR is geared more as a marathon bike so it's going to be more comfortable. The geometry is also a bit more relaxed and the bike is surprisingly composed in the air.

mtbr member
    It depends on how you want to use it or define "trail bike". The TR is geared more as a marathon bike so it's going to be more comfortable. The geometry is also a bit more relaxed and the bike is surprisingly composed in the air.

Thanks for the info. I have this bike. I know what it is.

This versus an Orange Stage 4 (which I also have), Ibis Ripley, Evil Following are all the same travel bikes but are way more trail bike.

Trying to make an XC bike a trail bike by upping the stroke 5mm and throwing a 120 fork on it (Epic Evo, Santa Cruz Blur, Norco Revolver) is a marketing effort by the manufacturers to try to sell more bikes.

Plain and simple the Epic, Blur, OIZ (all of which I have owned in the last 18 months) are strictly XC race bikes.

EDIT: Pole Evolink 110, COTIC FlareMax - definitely trail bikes
    by Silentfoe

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Thanks for the info. I have this bike. I know what it is.

This versus an Orange Stage 4 (which I also have), Ibis Ripley, Evil Following are all the same travel bikes but are way more trail bike.

Trying to make an XC bike a trail bike by upping the stroke 5mm and throwing a 120 fork on it (Epic Evo, Santa Cruz Blur, Norco Revolver) is a marketing effort by the manufacturers to try to sell more bikes.

Plain and simple the Epic, Blur, OIZ (all of which I have owned in the last 18 months) are strictly XC race bikes.

EDIT: Pole Evolink 110, COTIC FlareMax - definitely trail bikes
    I own the bike as well. I've done a 30 mile race, actually first ride on the bike, and a forty miler. To me the bike is incredibly comfortable, poppy and fun. I love jumping the bike.

No, in 120mm guise those bikes are more marathon bikes for the reason I mentioned, slacker geo and decreased fatigue due to more travel. It just so happens that by putting a 34 on them it allows them to be ridden just a tad harder.

Formerly of Kent
    I still don't know what the hell a "trail" bike is, other than the fact that it's something I probably wouldn't want to race in an XC race.

I've seen it used to refer to things from 120-170mm of travel. Which is, obviously a pretty wide spread in terms of designed uses, the crowd it would appeal to, etc.

But the Oiz TR seems like something I'd have no problem using for all day "epics" (I hate that term, but like "trail bike", it seems to be something other people get) AND for pro XC racing.
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    I still don't know what the hell a "trail" bike is, other than the fact that it's something I wouldn't want to race in an XC race.

I've seen it used to refer to things from 120-170mm of travel. Which is, obviously a pretty wide spread in terms of designed uses, the crowd it would appeal to, etc.

But the Oiz TR seems like something I'd have no problem using for all day "epics" (I hate that term, but like "trail bike", it seems to be something other people get) AND for pro XC racing.
    You could definitely use it for XCO type stuff but it's not a pure race bike in my opinion just like it depends on one's definition of if it's a trail bike.

I use mine for all day rides and NICA practices. The other option is a 170/160 Rallon which I can but don't want to pedal all day or chase fast kids around on.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    That's quite an interesting comparison as your 2013 Giant Trance 125mm travel 26" wheel bike is what would have been called a trail bike in 2013 but when you compare it to a 2020 Orbea Oiz TR 120mm travel 29" bike the 2020 Orbea Oiz TR is following the current...
    Thank you for analysis between bikes. I have version X2, geometry of size S and had version of OIZ M. I have wider bars 760mm with +15 rise. It is true that right now I compare bikes only by shock/fork travel, because with other parameters I am not so familiar and cannot imagine how much the change in value will change the feeling of the bike. As you mentioned advantages of modern bikes, this is reason why i think that today bike with 120mm will be more capable than my current bike.

I Will try contact local dealer to test TR version if is possible. And can you compare this bike to Scoot spark (not RC) or Canyon Neuron?

Abys Ripley is out if my budget, i am searching something till ~2600$, this is for example aluminium version of OIZ.

mtbr member
    Thank you for analysis between bikes. I have version X2, geometry of size S and had version of OIZ M. I have wider bars 760mm with +15 rise. It is true that right now I compare bikes only by shock/fork travel, because with other parameters I am not so familiar and cannot imagine how much the change in value will change the feeling of the bike. As you mentioned advantages of modern bikes, this is reason why i think that today bike with 120mm will be more capable than my current bike.

I Will try contact local dealer to test TR version if is possible. And can you compare this bike to Scoot spark (not RC) or Canyon Neuron?

Abys Ripley is out if my budget, i am searching something till ~2600$, this is for example aluminium version of OIZ.
    The difficulty with the extremes of bike sizing is that a lot of bikes tend to be designed around the middle sizes (Medium and Large) and then the Small and Extra Large frames are often a compromise in some way.

When it comes to Size small frames there are two things you have to really pay attention to: Standover height and toe overlap with the front wheel. This is accentuated when it comes to a 29" wheel bike as the bigger wheels raise the bike higher and also reduce foot clearance when doing tight low speed turns whilst pedalling.

Here is a chart looking at the geometry of the bikes you mentioned: Size Small Giant Trance 26" 2013, Size Small Orbea Oiz TR 29" 2020, Size Medium Orbea Oiz TR 29" 2020, Size Small Scott Spark 960 29" 2019, Size Small Canyon Neuron Al 7.0 29" 2019

New Oiz-2020-orbea-oiz-giant-trance-2013-geometry2.jpg

Scott Spark 960 29" 2019 Product Page:
    https://www.scott-sports.com/gb/en/p...icle=274636006

Canyon Neuron AL 7.0 29" 2019 Product Page:
    https://www.canyon.com/en-gb/mountai...ry-section-tab

I've highlighted what I think are the notable parts of the geometry. I had a look at the size Medium Scott Spark 960 and Canyon Neuron AL 7.0 geometries and they're both big bikes in a medium, with a much longer top tube at 605mm compared to 584mm on your current bike. Your bike has a standover height of 724mm, the Medium Scott 960 standover height is a reasonable 746mm but the Medium Canyon Neuron AL 7.0 standover is a mighty 799mm!

The Medium Scott Spark 960 might be doable if you were to run a really short stem but the Medium Canyon Neuron AL 7.0 frame is going to be too big.

In the table above I used the Size Small versions of each bike, along with the Size Small and Medium Orbea Oiz TR 29". There's quite a bit of variation between the Size small frames. Based on your current bike a Size Small Orbea Oiz TR 29" toptube length is 17mm shorter making it too small and the Size Small Scott Spark 960 is 9mm shorter which is borderline but can be adjusted for. The Size Small Canyon Neuron AL 7.0 is 3mm shorter which isn't much at all so you'd be able to have a similar riding position on that as your current bike.

The Size Medium Orbea Oiz TR 29" top tube length is 12mm longer than your current bike, which would probably be ok for fit as you could run a 1cm shorter stem than your current bike which would move the weight bias back slightly off the front wheel making it easier to lift. Based on current bike trends / fashion for shorter stems on mountain bikes this would be preferable over going with a shorter frame and putting a longer stem on.

At 67.2 degrees for the Size Small Scott Spark 960 and 67.5 degrees for the Size Small Canyon Neuron AL 7.0 they both have slacker head angles than the 69.5 degrees of your Size Small Giant Trance 26" 2013. The Orbeas are somewhere inbetween at 68 degrees. The main benefit of a slacker head angle is that the bike will be more stable at speed in a straight line when descending. You can plow through rough ground without being thrown offline as easily. The tradeoff for this stability is that with a slack head angle the steering is going to be slower and less responsive at low speeds. If you do a lot of slow speed technical riding a slack head angle isn't necessarily an advantage. When climbing in particular a bike with a slack head angle can wander and be difficult to hold in a straight line.

All the new bikes listed (Orbea, Scott and Canyon) have substantially shorter head tube lengths than the 2013 Giant Trance 2013. They all appear to come with a flat handlebar too. In order to get the handlebars at a similar height as your current bike they would all need the bars and probably stem replacing.

Summary:

Of the bikes you listed I think it would be worth test riding these sizes as they're most likely to fit, preferably with a riser bar fitted to raise the front end.

Orbea Oiz TR 29" 2020 Size Medium
    Scott Spark 960 29" 2019 Size Small and also maybe Medium as there's a big jump between the two sizes
    Canyon Neuron Al 7.0 29" 2019 Size Small

mtbr member
    As I'd typed out the spreadsheet already here is the geometry comparison between a Orbea Occam 29" and Orbea Oiz TR 29" for the Small and Medium sizes (Fox 34 140mm fork on Orbea Occam rather than the optional Fox 36mm 150mm upgrade option).

New Oiz-2020-orbea-oiz-orbea-occam-geometry.jpg

https://www.orbea.com/gb-en/bicycles.../cat/occam-m10

When you look at these two bikes side by side the Orbea Occam has a 66 degree head angle, 2 degrees less than the Orbea Oiz TR 29" and 20mm more suspension travel.

It also has a significantly steeper seat tube angle at 77 degrees, 3 degrees steeper than the Orbea Oiz. This means that you'd typically be sitting further forwards over the bottom bracket on the Orbea Occam.

Apart from that they're not as different as you'd think. The Orbea Occam has a longer wheelbase (due to the longer travel fork and slacker head angle) along with 5mm longer chainstays but that's about it. The top tube lengths, bottom bracket height, head tube heights are all similar. The Orbea Occam has a slightly taller head tube.

The big differences are in the stem lengths that the bikes ship with (45mm length for both the Small and Medium Orbea Occam, 60mm Length Small, 70mm length Medium Orbea Oiz TR 29"), the rear suspension (both the specified shock and design) and then the component choices, in particular the larger size tyres with a grippier tread pattern that come with the Occam for added traction.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234