New Oiz - Page 3- Mtbr.com
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Oiz

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Raikzz View Post
    Those who have ridden new Oiz for longer time now, how's the overall reliability and maintenance on those ?

Do you have any niggles or rattles , had to change some bushings or bearings ?
    I am approaching 2000km on my Oiz. I had to replace the lower eye bushing in the shock at about 1500km. Other than that the frame has been flawless.
    "The best pace is suicide pace, and today is a good day to die." Steve Prefontaine

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Water bottles on the seat tube of a Large frame
    Shown shortest to tallest, the last bottle for each is touching the shock so it's a no-go.

Specialized Carbon Z cage lowest mounting position.
    Note that the Specialized Ribcage mounts at the same level.

New Oiz-20190706_185519_hdr%7E2.jpg
    New Oiz-20190706_185419_hdr%7E2.jpg
    New Oiz-20190706_190452_hdr%7E2.jpg

Arundel Other Sideloader Carbon Bottle Cage lowest mounting position.

New Oiz-20190706_190840%7E2.jpg
    New Oiz-20190706_190911_hdr%7E2.jpg
    New Oiz-20190706_190926_hdr%7E2.jpg
    New Oiz-20190706_190856_hdr%7E2.jpg
    New Oiz-20190706_191010_hdr%7E2.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by tgarson View Post
    This is somewhat OT to the Oiz but on the topic of MTB power. I’ve had power meters on my road and tri bikes since the original Quarq CinQo back in 2009. I used to do a lot of Iron-distance tris back then and I couldn’t imagine doing them without power. It’s just way too easy to overcook the bike and end up losing hours walking in the marathon.

I’ve never had power on a MTB and haven’t stressed doing 100 milers on RPE. I'm sure you still can overcook it to the point that it could ruin your race, but my gut is that there's just more margin for error without having to run after.

I have power on every bike I ride. On the mtbs, it's useful during MTB specific training, or when I choose to ride the mtb on the road. I've never actually done a steady state TT, so I've never actually used the power data during a race. It's all RPE. But, having the data post-hoc is then super useful.

I also tend to do shorter races, but can see where pacing strategies with lower IFs (say 0.7-0.8), it would be really helpful to have a meter to tell me when adrenaline is lying to me and trying to goad me into ruining my race.
    Last edited by bikeranzin; 07-07-2019 at 05:06 PM. Reason: Added quotation

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Hi all, I'm currently eyeing this bike for my primary race rig. I'm 6'3", 33 inseam, 180lbs currently riding an XL Yeti ASRc. I demo'd an XL TR recently and really liked the bike. It felt a little bit faster than my current bike even with GX and Aluminum wheels. I really loved the acceleration, and how well the bike behaved in corners and leaning. I also loved how stiff the rear end felt compared to the ASRc. I felt a lot more confidence hucking into chunky rocks.

The only downsides I felt were the dropper post/lever position, suspension set up wrong (forgot my shock pump), and the fit. The XL felt a tad too big. I felt it the most up steep switchbacks. I just couldn't get my weight on the front wheel without really getting out of the saddle. I also could never get the seatpost right. The seatpost self slammed itself, but my back told me it still felt too high. I briefly spun around on the L and it felt about the same minus the back pain. I'm looking to do a demo from the LBS before I buy to get the sizing right.

My current questions are on the sizing and the trim.

A. I know a lot of tall people liked the XL more. My Yeti feels a bit too big for me, and even with the saddle all the way forward I find myself on the tip. It looks like the reach on the oiz is bigger the the ETT is longer on the yeti. I rode a trek procaliber 19.5" and it fit perfect even though I'm 6'3". Have any other tall people sized down and felt okay? Or should I just try mixing up some components on the XL?

B. TR vs XC: I race XC competitively. I'm a top 10 CAT 1 in my area. I do a mix of XCO events and marathon events every year. I'm thinking the TR version would be great for some of the more technical/longer races like True Grit and PCP2P, but I've wanted a dedicated race rig for a while just to see if it would help on the climbs. I also have a hard time believing the TR has that much of a difference from the XC version. CAn anyone who has ridden both comment on this?

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Ksanman, at 186 cm height and 90 cm inseam I had to return the L TR for an XL TR (waiting for it) . I like bigger bikes tough.

Also remember that if you go for the TR version, reach will be 10 mm shorter and stack 8 mm higher than the XC version.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ksanman View Post
    B. TR vs XC: I race XC competitively. I'm a top 10 CAT 1 in my area. I do a mix of XCO events and marathon events every year. I'm thinking the TR version would be great for some of the more technical/longer races like True Grit and PCP2P, but I've wanted a dedicated race rig for a while just to see if it would help on the climbs. I also have a hard time believing the TR has that much of a difference from the XC version. CAn anyone who has ridden both comment on this?
    I would buy the XC version and put a 120 SC fork on it if you are racing. At your height I would also get an XL.

No need for the 120 in the rear especially if this is your race bike.
    by Silentfoe
    I'm satisfied knowing that what I wear during my "day" job makes me more of a man than you'll ever be.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Raikzz View Post
    Those who have ridden new Oiz for longer time now, how's the overall reliability and maintenance on those ?

Do you have any niggles or rattles , had to change some bushings or bearings ?
    I had almost 2400 miles on mine when the seat tube cracked. It did not fail completely but it definitely had to be replaced. I was hesitant to post this because I know how the internet can make mountains of molehills, but in the end, decided on transparency. I do not think this is indicative of any common issue but these things simply happen sometimes. Which is one reason I go with Orbea, they always have taken care of me and fully expect they will for this issue.
    Still enjoy the bike, although I do not think the "geometry" of the TR version was a good choice for me. I am looking into options to remedy that. No complaints and a great bike otherwise.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by shagster View Post
    ...seat tube cracked...
    I also don't want to make this bigger than it is but I'm curios where it cracked. At the top, down lower someplace?

...I do not think the "geometry" of the TR version was a good choice for me....
    Can you elaborate further here? I tested the TR but bought an XC and I feel like they are two distinct bikes. The XC version feels a lot more to my liking, but I think that is mainly because it doesn't feel all that different than my old bike, other than having a 20mm lower handlebar hight.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by HyperSprite View Post
    Can you elaborate further here? I tested the TR but bought an XC and I feel like they are two distinct bikes. The XC version feels a lot more to my liking, but I think that is mainly because it doesn't feel all that different than my old bike, other than having a 20mm lower handlebar hight.
    +100

This was my thinking exactly.

The TR felt vague to me in a way that the XC didn't. Fortunately, the two bikes are only 2 components away from each other. I'm still hoping that Orbea decides to sell the shock aftermarket. I might be willing to get the shock and a 34 sc to go play in bumpier places. What bike were you coming off of, out of curiosity? For me, the Oiz replaced my ASR.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeranzin View Post
    What bike were you coming off of, out of curiosity?
    2014 Jet 9 RDO

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I also don't want to make this bigger than it is but I'm curios where it cracked. At the top, down lower someplace?

Thanks
    It cracked near the pivot point for the linkage, just above where it goes thru the tube. In my opinion, the TR handling is too unresponsive for my taste. I'm sure that is because I came from 10+ years of hardtail, race XC bikes only. I intend to lower the 34 SC to 110 first. And if I'm not happy from there, I will go down to 100 on the fork and look into the options to lower the rear properly. To me this is simply personal preference and nothing to do with any flaw of the bike. I ride flat land mostly so I can get away with less slack of a ride and actually enjoy the more aggressive style on the daily. For the occasional trip to the "highlands", I think the TR will be so much more fun and hopefully I can convert pretty easy when I need to.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Be careful not to remove screw #4 when you need to take the chain off the chainring, just loosen it, push it up, and work the chain out carefully.

The little nut on the back side will fall off and with the chainring in the way, I could not figure out a way to get it back in there without removing #2.

But then the spacer fell out, yes, only one spacer (washer) even though I have SRAM. I was able to use a magnet to hold the spacer (washer) in position while I put it back together but it was not fun.

New Oiz-screen-shot-2019-07-09-8.47.39-am.png

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    I intend to lower the 34 SC to 110 first. And if I'm not happy from there, I will go down to 100 on the fork and look into the options to lower the rear properly.
    Zerort seemed to have good things to say about the Manitou McLeod for a rear shock on the 'XC' version. Going off their whole '1 bike, 2 different stroke lengths' things I've thought about swapping a SC32 and a McLeod on for non-technical races like LT100 but leaving it in the TR config for the other 99% of my riding/training in CO. I probably won't actually do that, but I liked that it was an option since I personally can't justify having a separate dedicated short travel XC race bike.

Be careful not to remove screw #4 when you need to take the chain off the chainring, just loosen it, push it up, and work the chain out carefully.
    Why are you removing the chain guide to take your chain off? Why not just use the quick link?

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Going off their whole '1 bike, 2 different stroke lengths' things I've thought about swapping a SC32 and a McLeod on for non-technical races like LT100 but leaving it in the TR config for the other 99% of my riding/training in CO. I probably won't actually do that, but I liked that it was an option since I personally can't justify having a separate dedicated short travel XC race bike.
    FWIW, I actually really enjoy riding my 100mm bike around CO. I'm perhaps a bit under-gunned on Longhorn and Bitterbrush (descent), but that's part of the fun I suppose 120mm would be nice to smooth out the sheer bumpiness of places like CB though.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Why are you removing the chain guide to take your chain off? Why not just use the quick link?
    I didn't need to take the chain off the bike, just needed it out of the way to loosen the the 8mm crank bolt.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012

The little nut on the back side will fall off and with the chainring in the way, I could not figure out a way to get it back in there without removing #2.

But then the spacer fell out, yes, only one spacer (washer) even though I have SRAM. I was able to use a magnet to hold the spacer (washer) in position while I put it back together but it was not fun.
    I ran into this problem when I broke a chain. It almost destroyed the chain guide when it happened. In the process it bent the bolt #4 so I had no choice but to remove it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Zerort seemed to have good things to say about the Manitou McLeod for a rear shock on the 'XC' version. Going off their whole '1 bike, 2 different stroke lengths' things I've thought about swapping a SC32 and a McLeod on for non-technical races like LT100 but leaving it in the TR config for the other 99% of my riding/training in CO. I probably won't actually do that, but I liked that it was an option since I personally can't justify having a separate dedicated short travel XC race bike.

Thanks, I will look into it! My thought is that I will try the 110 fork sleeve first and see if the Geo isn't too bad. If that doesn't work, I will throw in the 110 sleeve and try the shorter stroke shock. I do not know any other options for the rear at this time.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    I do not know any other options for the rear at this time.
    Since the 100mm and 120mm share the same eye to eye length but different stoke by 5mm, isn't that 20mm of travel coming at the end of the stoke, and couldn't you just run the rear shock at 15% sag instead of 25% to get a similar experience to the 100mm bike?
    You'd still have 120mm of travel but you'd have to hit it hard enough to use that extra 5mm of stroke to notice.
    I'm just throwing this out there, I don't have any experience tuning the TR.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I am a bit out of my knowledge area and therefore a bit confused. The blue papers for both the XC and TR are the same. So they reflect the same exact linkages an associated part numbers. So if the only difference in the rear suspension is that one shock has 5mm longer stroke, I'm not sure how that affects geometry. It only implies to me that the shock absorbs 5mm more compression. Wouldn't that also mean that if the linkages are exactly the same, the TR only has 5mm more travel in the rear? Well, not necessarily 5mm more travel exactly as it has to do with the pivot angle of the rear, etc.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I am a bit out of my knowledge area and therefore a bit confused. The blue papers for both the XC and TR are the same. So they reflect the same exact linkages an associated part numbers. So if the only difference in the rear suspension is that one shock has 5mm longer stroke, I'm not sure how that affects geometry. It only implies to me that the shock absorbs 5mm more compression. Wouldn't that also mean that if the linkages are exactly the same, the TR only has 5mm more travel in the rear? Well, not necessarily 5mm more travel exactly as it has to do with the pivot angle of the rear, etc.
    After thinking about this a bit more... I guess all things being equal except the 5mm longer stroke. That 5mm can translate to 20mm more travel due to the way the rear travel works as a lever. So, the rear height between the XC and TR would probably be very identical even with different shock strokes.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    XC - 40mm * 20 = 100mm travel
    TR - 45mm * 20 = 120mm travel

The bb hight for the two models would be different based on the +20mm on the front end. What I don't know is if there is any valving or volume difference between the two "custom tune" shocks.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    After thinking about this a bit more... I guess all things being equal except the 5mm longer stroke. That 5mm can translate to 20mm more travel due to the way the rear travel works as a lever. So, the rear height between the XC and TR would probably be very identical even with different shock strokes.
    The eye to eye is the same. So the geometry is the same.

Your assumption is correct.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kerpoise View Post
    The eye to eye is the same. So the geometry is the same.

Your assumption is correct.

The move to a 120 mm fork brings the front end up, the BB higher, and makes the head angle slacker.

The rear shock does nothing to change the geometry.

I've been playing with this bike in regards to setup (probably more than anyone in this thread) and I can tell you that with a Fox 34 SC, this bike is much better. You will not lose anything in regards to handling or speed with this larger fork.

I've even changed to a 51mm offset after trying both, and prefer the 51 over the 44.

McLeod is available in a 190 x 45 as well if you want more rear travel, but I have not bottomed out my 190 x 40 yet, and have felt no need for more travel on my XC trails.

If you ride more "trail" type conditions, you may want to use the extra travel.
    by Silentfoe
    I'm satisfied knowing that what I wear during my "day" job makes me more of a man than you'll ever be.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Zerort View Post
    The move to a 120 mm fork brings the front end up, the BB higher, and makes the head angle slacker.

The rear shock does nothing to change the geometry.

I've been playing with this bike in regards to setup (probably more than anyone in this thread) and I can tell you that with a Fox 34 SC, this bike is much better. You will not lose anything in regards to handling or speed with this larger fork.

I've even changed to a 51mm offset after trying both, and prefer the 51 over the 44.

McLeod is available in a 190 x 45 as well if you want more rear travel, but I have not bottomed out my 190 x 40 yet, and have felt no need for more travel on my XC trails.

If you ride more "trail" type conditions, you may want to use the extra travel.
    I never mentioned anything about the fork. Of course a 20mm increase in fork a2c will increase the BB height, and slacken the head and seat angle, and decrease the reach.

The point is, if you have the 100mm or 120mm config, the shocks eye to eye is identical, so it does nothing *on its own* to the geometry. Suspension dynamics, yes, but static geometry no.

mtbr member
    What I don't know is if there is any valving or volume difference between the two "custom tune" shocks.
    The TR shock has 45 mm stroke and linear compression and rebound valving.
    The XC shock has 40 mm stroke and digressive compression and rebound valving.
    Oh and I believe that the TR shock has no spacer, while the XC shock has the smallest spacer (0.2 is it?).

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by JayDee81 View Post
    The TR shock has 45 mm stroke and linear compression and rebound valving.
    The XC shock has 40 mm stroke and digressive compression and rebound valving.
    Oh and I believe that the TR shock has no spacer, while the XC shock has the smallest spacer (0.2 is it?).
    Yeah, agreed. I think the TR shock could actually do with a spacer as stock, as it's pretty linear. It does feel better at around 20% sag, but I think it would be better with 25-30 sag, and a bit more ramp up.

I've got a load of fox volume chips, so may give it a go at some point.

mtbr member
    My experience is quite the opposite. I didn't yet manage to bottom the TR out and I run 25 % sag. The bike is definitely progressive enough on it's own.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    The new 2020s look interesting. I think they have a hit with the three tier, different models in each tier approach they took.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    That new model is almost my ideal bike, new SLX/XT groupset, with proper suspension and an option to buy nice carbon wheels.
    Ideally i would have kashima suspension there also, and this lower model doesn't have Orbea's new 3-position lockout lever in standard

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Just ordered an M10 TR, should be here next week.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Anyone else ordered the new Squidlock for their Oiz? I ordered mine the day it was released, with the extra dropper lever.

Hopefully it works with the Fox 34sc and the Fox DPS. The email suggested it works. If it just adjusts a poppet valve, then I'm assuming it'll just be open, half open, and closed.

mtbr member
    Anyone else ordered the new Squidlock for their Oiz? I ordered mine the day it was released, with the extra dropper lever.

Hopefully it works with the Fox 34sc and the Fox DPS. The email suggested it works. If it just adjusts a poppet valve, then I'm assuming it'll just be open, half open, and closed.

Can't decide on with or w/o the dropper lever but will order soon. Assume you ordered from LBS, as at least on my browser couldn't add to cart. Was told by Orbea they won't be here for probably a month or so.
    ‘19 orbea oiz tr
    '16 Scott Genius 700 Premium traded in
    Cervelo R3sl
    Seven Alta
    Curtlo h/t

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark16q View Post
    Can't decide on with or w/o the dropper lever but will order soon. Assume you ordered from LBS, as at least on my browser couldn't add to cart. Was told by Orbea they won't be here for probably a month or so.
    It works on Internet Explorer. But not Chrome. The button is there to pay on IE.

I bought online

With the dropper remote, as I don't like the one my TR came with

mtbr member

If you don't mind posting up how it goes and functions, we'd appreciate it.

I'm ordering the 100mm version that doesn't come with dropper version, but will be adding a dropper so will need to order the Squidlock dropper version separate and add it on. I'm hoping I can just swap out the top clamp with the dropper lever, as they look interchangeable.

mtbr member
    It works on Internet Explorer. But not Chrome. The button is there to pay on IE.

I bought online

With the dropper remote, as I don't like the one my TR came with

I tried use Microsoft Edge and the box didn't work. But with IE, it did indeed allow it. Now I need to decide which I want.....

Thanks for the tip!

Mark
    ‘19 orbea oiz tr
    Cervelo R3sl
    Seven Alta
    Curtlo h/t

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    I’m bummed I got a ‘19 instead of a ‘20 but I’m glad Squidlock is fully backwards compatible for the ‘19. Sucks I have to spend an extra $140 but oh well. The wheels are a nice upgrade as well but I don’t care so much about XT vs X01. I’d be happy to give the new XT a try but I don’t view that as an upgrade over SRAM, more that Shimano has caught up.

Quote Originally Posted by tuckerjt07 View Post
    Just ordered an M10 TR, should be here next week.
    For your sake hopefully that's true. In my experience my bike shipped 2 weeks after Orbea's promised availability date and it took another week to arrive.
    Last edited by tgarson; 07-18-2019 at 12:39 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I've installed a 0.2cc spacer in my Fox DPS shock, the smallest spacer.

It's made a huge different. I've dropped psi by 10, and it's much more compliant, but the midstroke support is really good. I've been climbing with the shock unlocked for 90% of my riding now.

This is on the TR version.

Sent from my SHT-W09 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Any details on the factory dropper for the TR as an "OC2"? Looks like an Orbea brand, but I can't find any details on it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by cru_jones View Post
    Any details on the factory dropper for the TR as an "OC2"? Looks like an Orbea brand, but I can't find any details on it.
    I'm wondering if it's not a rebranded crabkbrothers due to that being an upgrade on some bikes.

mtbr member
    What is your weight, what psi are you now running?

I've installed a 0.2cc spacer in my Fox DPS shock, the smallest spacer.

It's made a huge different. I've dropped psi by 10, and it's much more compliant, but the midstroke support is really good. I've been climbing with the shock unlocked for 90% of my riding now.

This is on the TR version.

‘19 orbea oiz tr
    Cervelo R3sl
    Seven Alta
    Curtlo h/t

mtbr member
    Just put on my light bicycles carbon wheels, rocket Ron rear racing ray front. Other mods bikeyoke revive 125, wtb carbon rail seat, xpedo ti pedals, 1295 cogset and chain. Garmin 520 and timbre bell medium frame. Weight now 23.08.

Just did a weekend in mammoth with stock wheel set and tires and bike was great. Outgunned by all the lt downhill bikes but held its own quite well. Stuck to intermediate trails and very happy with balance, cornering, and climbing. Still dialing damping but overall thrilled with the bike! Weight 160 fork psi 60 shock 165.
    ‘19 orbea oiz tr
    Cervelo R3sl
    Seven Alta
    Curtlo h/t

mtbr member
    May 2011
    What is your weight, what psi are you now running?
    160lb, 150psi

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Weight 160 fork psi 60 shock 165.
    Maybe this is well known for Fox 34s but anyone else finding that their actual fork pressure is nowhere close to what it says on the fork label or in fox's tuning guide?

Per fox's tuning guide you should be 68-72psi for the fork at 160lbs. I'm 155 lbs and that pressure put me at 10-15% sag at most. I had to drop down to about 55 psi to get me in the ballpark.

mtbr member
    Maybe this is well known for Fox 34s but anyone else finding that their actual fork pressure is nowhere close to what it says on the fork label or in fox's tuning guide?

Per fox's tuning guide you should be 68-72psi for the fork at 160lbs. I'm 155 lbs and that pressure put me at 10-15% sag at most. I had to drop down to about 55 psi to get me in the ballpark.
    I've never been able to run the Fox recommended amounts. If I do, the forks are way too stiff. I have removed both volume spacers and at 60 psi I never bottomed them on some pretty hard hits over the weekend but the action was really good. Probably used over 4". Any softer and I think it would've been diving too much. Thinking if I drop the rear pressure a bit will be able to drop the fork too and keep things balanced.
    ‘19 orbea oiz tr
    Cervelo R3sl
    Seven Alta
    Curtlo h/t

mtbr member
    I've never been able to run the Fox recommended amounts. If I do, the forks are way too stiff. I have removed both volume spacers and at 60 psi I never bottomed them on some pretty hard hits over the weekend but the action was really good. Probably used over 4". Any softer and I think it would've been diving too much. Thinking if I drop the rear pressure a bit will be able to drop the fork too and keep things balanced.
    Same as my Fox36 & X2 on my Rallon. I barely get 10% sag at the recommended pressure, not uncommon to go below the guide. I also have the speed up the rebound 1-2 clicks faster, or the shock doesn't recover in time at higher speed.

mtbr member
    I'm wondering if it's not a rebranded crabkbrothers due to that being an upgrade on some bikes.

This link is new in the last day or so; maybe more details to come...

https://www.orbea.com/us-en/support/...-dropper-post/

mtbr member
    I have 68 kg (150 lbs) and run my 36 60-62 psi (should be 68 per Fox) and my 34SC on Oiz I started at recommended 68 psi, went as low as 56 psi and then back up to 66 psi, where I feel pretty good about the fork with a little reserve in travel for some mishaps. This gives me 20 % SAG while in the descending position. (I think. Not sure if I remember it correctly. Might be while seated.)
    In the shock on my Oiz TR I run 160 psi, which gives me 25 % SAG while seated.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I have 68 kg (150 lbs) and run my 36 60-62 psi (should be 68 per Fox) and my 34SC on Oiz I started at recommended 68 psi, went as low as 56 psi and then back up to 66 psi, where I feel pretty good about the fork with a little reserve in travel for some mishaps. This gives me 20 % SAG while in the descending position. (I think. Not sure if I remember it correctly. Might be while seated.)
    In the shock on my Oiz TR I run 160 psi, which gives me 25 % SAG while seated.
    Have you removed any tokens?

I removed one, and then ended up with it back in, so I could run a bit more sag.

mtbr member
    Didn't even open the suspension, so it's stock. I like it as it is. Only the rear is maybe a little bit too progressive, but not too much.

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Does Oiz bring any frame protection besides the chain stay?
    What frame protection do you recommend for a matte painting?
    Thinking about invisiframe (https://www.invisiframe.co.uk/oiz-carbon-2019.html)

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by raptormig View Post

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.
    I've used Invisiframe on a few frames- nice stuff.
    Ripley LS v3
    OG Ripley v2 handed down to son

mtbr member
    Nov 2016

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.
    Invisiframe is great in matte. I'd use it again with no thought but no XL size yet.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    There's some protective film on the downtube in front of the BB that comes stock as well. That's all I've seen.

I didn't end up doing Invisiframe and have already dinged up the paint on my non-drive side chain stay pretty good. Regret not doing it now.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    I've used Invisiframe on a few frames- nice stuff.
    Thanks for the tip. My new paint looks too nice and hate worrying about it out on the trail. Got my order in.
    ‘19 orbea oiz tr
    Cervelo R3sl
    Seven Alta
    Curtlo h/t

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    The amount the rear wheel moves isn't a 1:1 ratio with how much the rear shock shaft moves due to the leverage ratio of the suspension. If the OIZ does indeed have 120mm of travel for a 45mm stroke length shock, then the rear wheel travels 2.66mm for every mm the rear shock moves (120/45=2.66). So if the 100 uses a 40mm shaft length shock then the difference in travel between the 2 models is actually ~13mm (2.66*5mm). So the bike is actually either 107mm (XC) & 120mm (TR), or 100mm (XC) & 113 (TR), or somewhere inbetween. To truly get a 20mm difference on this bike, you would have to spec a 45mm stroke shock on the TR and 38mm stroke shock on the XC.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by tlechnow View Post
    The amount the rear wheel moves isn't a 1:1 ratio with how much the rear shock shaft moves due to the leverage ratio of the suspension. If the OIZ does indeed have 120mm of travel for a 45mm stroke length shock, then the rear wheel travels 2.66mm for every mm the rear shock moves (120/45=2.66). So if the 100 uses a 40mm shaft length shock then the difference in travel between the 2 models is actually ~13mm (2.66*5mm). So the bike is actually either 107mm (XC) & 120mm (TR), or 100mm (XC) & 113 (TR), or somewhere inbetween. To truly get a 20mm difference on this bike, you would have to spec a 45mm stroke shock on the TR and 38mm stroke shock on the XC.
    I don't think this is strictly true. Leverage ratio isn't linear, due to the suspension pivot placements and arc of shock linkage.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lahrs View Post
    I don't think this is strictly true. Leverage ratio isn't linear, due to the suspension pivot placements and arc of shock linkage.
    You're right. What he wrote certainly isn't true for most bikes. It's true only for bikes with linear leverage ratio, such as all Orange full sus bikes.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Hello !

I've been looking at the Oiz, and I think it might be a good bike for me since I'm looking mainly for efficiency on 25 to 50km rides.

The only thing I'm wondering is how the XC version behaves on descents. I'm not sure if I should go for the TR or XC version, and unfortunately, I have no opportunity to demo these bikes... There are no big jumps or drops where I'm riding, but there are roots and some kind of big ruts too.

Any information welcome.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    unless you race, go for the TR version

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    I did a testride with the XC couple of days ago. Couldn't test how it behaved in the descents because only rode a rather flat trail in the woods. I'm considering also the TR version because of following reasons:
    - more travel more fun and comfort (as they say)
    - weight: +900gr than the XC, but I would take the dropper so it's only 600gr difference for me between XC and TR. With wider tires it's only the weight of the FOX 34 vs FOX 32. I think as an non-competitive biker, I will have more joy from the stiffer 34 than the lightweight 32.
    - TR better for long marathon rides (+75km)

I asked my LBS about his opinion on the XC vs TR and advised me the TR because it fits my riding style better. He does sell way more XC versions than TR versions because low weight and racy XC bikes just sell easier where I live than more traily-XC bikes.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Thanks a lot for the feedback, lads.

I'll think I'll go for a TR version, then, because even tho I appreciate efficiency, I'm not racing, and would rather go faster/safer on descents and rough sections.

Don't know if I will manage to get a little discount from a retailer or if I should go for the online purchase.

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by evildos View Post
    Don't know if I will manage to get a little discount from a retailer or if I should go for the online purchase.
    Normally you could get around 6-10% of discount buying it from your LBS I believe.

My LBS also had other delivery dates than the ones on the online Orbea shop. So maybe expect a little delay.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Any information welcome.
    I pretty much disagree with what has been said above about the TR vs XC other than a Fox 34 is stiffer and the TR has more travel and neither of those things really answers the question. 100mm and 120mm bikes are both more capable than the same travel from just five years ago.

To me, the two versions ride like totally different bikes, it's not really XC vs TR, it is Oiz XC vs other 100mm bikes and Oiz TR vs 120+ bikes, that kind of thing. Without knowing other bikes you are considering and what you like/don't like of those, nobody can really answer which is best for you.

For instance, I think XC with a dropper is fantastic and quite capable both going up and down, but that's just me on the trails I ride: usually 60k distance on NorCal fire road, single track, occasional small rocks, lots of climbing/descending, no big drops (never more than a meter) or jumps.

mtbr member
    I pretty much disagree with what has been said above about the TR vs XC other than a Fox 34 is stiffer and the TR has more travel and neither of those things really answers the question. 100mm and 120mm bikes are both more capable than the same travel from just five years ago.

To me, the two versions ride like totally different bikes, it's not really XC vs TR, it is Oiz XC vs other 100mm bikes and Oiz TR vs 120+ bikes, that kind of thing. Without knowing other bikes you are considering and what you like/don't like of those, nobody can really answer which is best for you.

For instance, I think XC with a dropper is fantastic and quite capable both going up and down, but that's just me on the trails I ride: usually 60k distance on NorCal fire road, single track, occasional small rocks, lots of climbing/descending, no big drops (never more than a meter) or jumps.
    Interesting viewpoint on the differences and good points. I haven't ridden the XC but have the TR. I would characterize the TR as a long travel XC bike. I've ridden some other long travel "trail" bikes that were much more cush but also heavier and not as responsive. My TR is very light and responsive at just over 23 pounds. I don't expect it to be a big downhiller and that isn't what I wanted. Most of our trails aren't terribly technical and lots of long relatively smooth climbs so the TR made sense for me. I was on a nearly 30 pound loaner bike while I waited for my TR, and it was fun going down but overall too much work for my type of riding and style.

I can say that a 34mm fork is much stiffer than 32mm, and once you ride the stiffer fork in some ruts there's no going back. As the SC is pretty light, that closed the deal for me on the TR and glad I did it. So far loving the bike.
    ‘19 orbea oiz tr
    Cervelo R3sl
    Seven Alta
    Curtlo h/t

Coming to visit
    Jan 2010
    Is it just me or is there no longer a 27.5 Oiz? I was on the website a few weeks ago and I'm sure they were still there then. Can't find anything about them not doing it anymore but also can't see it as an option.

Coming to visit
    Jan 2010
    Cancel that - I found it in the options a looong way down in customisation.

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Does the OIZ XC and the OIZ TR ride that different? If you look at the geometry chart for the Large frame:
    XC TR
    Reach 456 446
    Stack 600 608
    Seat angle 74° 75°
    Head angle 69° 68°

An Occam for instance has:
    Reach 474
    Stack 627
    Seat angle 77°
    Head angle 66°

Spark RC:
    Reach 457
    Stack 596
    Seat angle 73,8°
    Head angle 68,5°

Spark:
    Reach 460
    Stack 602
    Seat angle 73,8°
    Head angle 67,2°

New trek Top Fuel 2020:
    Seat angle 75,5°
    Head angle 68°

To me it's not the OIZ TR versus other trailbikes like the Occam, Genius or the camber but a new in between type that's more an XC bike than a pure trail bike, but with more comfort.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    I just got my 2020 Oiz M10 TR Myo. Happy days...

Last edited by Trhuster; 08-02-2019 at 10:28 AM.

mtbr member
    I can compare my Oiz M10 TR to Trek Fuel Ex and Canyon Neuron which I rode recently at a test event.
    The gap between those two and my Oiz TR is much bigger than the gap between those two and enduro bikes like Canyon Strive, which I rode at the same event. At least when going downhill.
    Can't compare how they climb and handle on mellow pedally trails, since I rode them only in a bikepark both on easier flow and more difficult natural trails.
    The suspension and riding position is completely different between these two categories.
    As someone here already said the Oiz TR is just Oiz with more travel. That is an XC race bike with more travel. Very different from typical trail bikes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasmazzer View Post
    To me it's not the OIZ TR versus other trailbikes like the Occam, Genius or the camber but a new in between type that's more an XC bike than a pure trail bike, but with more comfort.
    The Oiz TR is not a trail bike. This is all marketing, but take "TR" with a grain of salt. In today's speak that just means a modestly up-traveled XC bike. Other examples, Blur TR (imagine calling that a trail bike), Epic Evo, etc. The only 'TR' bike that comes close to a trail bike is the Sniper Trail since the Sniper geometry is super progressive.

Ironically, if you look at trail bikes from ~5 years ago you could call the Oiz TR a trail bike, it's pretty similar travel and geometry. Today trail means something completely different though.

None of this is to say you can't ride chunky trail on the Oiz TR just fine. Of course you can, much like you can on any modern XC bike. It's just a matter of speed and margin for error.

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Trhuster View Post
    I just got my 2020 Oiz M10 TR Myo. Happy days...
    "Trail Slayer"

Very nice colors!

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    "Trail Slayer"

Very nice colors!
    Not bad, i don't know how you could read that on a small pic like the one above...

Edit: I see you can open pic with full rez and then it is possible to read it...

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Not bad, i don't know how you could read that on a small pic like the one above...

Edit: I see you can open pic with full rez and then it is possible to read it...
    I can't see the images in the post, it only shows a question mark. That's why I opened them in separate windows .

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    I can't see the images in the post, it only shows a question mark. That's why I opened them in separate windows .
    Oh, so mabey it is only me that can see pic in thread then.

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Does the 2020 version now have the intermediate position on the shock? Also on the fork?
    I've read they changed the lock to squid lock with 3 positions but very little info about what this middle position is. I've read somewhere it's compression damping. Don't think it will be as revolutionary as the "nude" twinloc of Scott?

The 2019 versions can also use the squid lock so it's not a different type of shock/fork.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Does the 2020 version now have the intermediate position on the shock? Also on the fork?
    I've read they changed the lock to squid lock with 3 positions but very little info about what this middle position is. I've read somewhere it's compression damping. Don't think it will be as revolutionary as the "nude" twinloc of Scott?

The 2019 versions can also use the squid lock so it's not a different type of shock/fork.
    Squid lock itself have 3 positions but fork and rear shock only have 2 pos. What even worse is that my fork lockout does not work at all, bummer!

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    That's confusing. Why make a 3-position switch if the middle position doesn't do anything.
    If I read this topic: https://forums.mtbr.com/orbea/squidlock-1108593.html someone got an answer from Orbea that the middle position of his 2019 shock will work with the squid lock...

But others say the Fox Shock and Fork only have 2 positions with the lockout, otherwise you have to get the one with the 3-position lever on the shock/fork itself.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    My fork id is DWNC. And if you go to fox homepage this is the info you get.

"2020 Factory Series 34 FLOAT FIT4 REM ADJ PTU
    2020, 34, K, FLOAT SC, 29in, F-S, 120, FIT4, Remote-Adj, Psh-Unlk, 2Pos, (10pm CP), Matte Blk, No Logo, 15QRx110, 1.5 T, 44mm Rake, OE"

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    My fork id is DWNC. And if you go to fox homepage this is the info you get.

"2020 Factory Series 34 FLOAT FIT4 REM ADJ PTU
    2020, 34, K, FLOAT SC, 29in, F-S, 120, FIT4, Remote-Adj, Psh-Unlk, 2Pos, (10pm CP), Matte Blk, No Logo, 15QRx110, 1.5 T, 44mm Rake, OE"
    And what is your Shock ID?

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    And what is your Shock ID?
    DM22, same as 2019 one.

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    DM22, same as 2019 one.
    Could the Shock have 3 positions? On the Fox Spec sheet it says "
    FLOAT DPS 3pos Remote".

Could be the shock has 3 positions, but the fork only 2: open and locked.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Could the Shock have 3 positions? On the Fox Spec sheet it says "
    FLOAT DPS 3pos Remote".

Could be the shock has 3 positions, but the fork only 2: open and locked.
    Not from what i can feel. Trigger in pos 1 and 2 is locked and feels exactly the same, in pos 3 it is open.

mtbr member
    Not from what i can feel. Trigger in pos 1 and 2 is locked and feels exactly the same, in pos 3 it is open.
    that's disappointing to hear, but as you said the fork lockout doesn't even work, hoping the shop just a crappy job tensioning the cables. On my Scott Genius, which was a 3 way switch, if the cable tension wasn't right the 3 positions didn't work at all. it was a fine balance. Perhaps that's why no 3 settings?
    ‘19 orbea oiz tr
    Cervelo R3sl
    Seven Alta
    Curtlo h/t

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    that's disappointing to hear, but as you said the fork lockout doesn't even work, hoping the shop just a crappy job tensioning the cables. On my Scott Genius, which was a 3 way switch, if the cable tension wasn't right the 3 positions didn't work at all. it was a fine balance. Perhaps that's why no 3 settings?
    Rear shock works fine, just as i write above. But it is only full open or lock. My fork is another matter, i have removed the mekanism for remote lockout and turned the compression needle by hand. Still does not lock so my fork is faulty somehow. Also i can not feel a middle "click" when turning the compression needle by hand, just clockwise and counter clockwise endpoints.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Got a fairly good discount off a 10TR, so I placed an order for one with the MyO option.

A little time to wait, tho : mid/end of september.

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    About the 3-positions:

I've asked the following question at Orbea:
    "I've a question about the OIZ M10 (XC AND TR).
    The 2020 models contain the Squidlock 3-position switch.

Are you able to use the middle-position (intermediate) on the shock and forks of the XC and TR model? Or does the rear shock only has 3 positions and the fork 2?"

I've received their answer today:
    "Good morning ***,

Thanks for contacting us!

I confirm you that you can use the middle position even if you have a 3 position rear shock and 2 position fork.

Regards,
    "

That answer isn't very clear to me . I can understand that the new squid lock supports the 3 positions, but do the standard shock and fork on the 2019 and 2020 M10 version support 3 positions in combination with the squid lock, I can't conclude out of this answer.

mtbr member
    About the 3-positions:

I've asked the following question at Orbea:
    "I've a question about the OIZ M10 (XC AND TR).
    The 2020 models contain the Squidlock 3-position switch.

Are you able to use the middle-position (intermediate) on the shock and forks of the XC and TR model? Or does the rear shock only has 3 positions and the fork 2?"

I've received their answer today:
    "Good morning ***,

Thanks for contacting us!

I confirm you that you can use the middle position even if you have a 3 position rear shock and 2 position fork.

Regards,
    "

That answer isn't very clear to me . I can understand that the new squid lock supports the 3 positions, but do the standard shock and fork on the 2019 and 2020 M10 version support 3 positions in combination with the squid lock, I can't conclude out of this answer.
    Maybe better to ask Fox about this. Include the 4 digit code of the fork and shock in the question.

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Maybe better to ask Fox about this. Include the 4 digit code of the fork and shock in the question.
    I'm going to do that. Trhuster copied the codes above.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Abit strange that i can't feel any difference with the squidlock trigger in the middle position on my rear shock. Mabey i need to mess with wire tension or something.

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    I've received an answer from SABMA, the company who import FOX suspensions for the BENELUX (Belgium, The Netherlands and Luxembourg). They are also a tuning firm, who can tune the shocks/forks. I've sent them de IDs posted here above.

Their answer (translated to English):

It seems that both shock and fork are in modus Push-to-Unlock. This means that they have only 2 positions.
    It is possible to change/build them into a 3-positions Push-to-Lock system, but in our opinion the 2-positions system works much better.
    That's why Fox is changing more and more to 2-positions Push-To-Unlock.

It seems odd to me that Orbea develops a new position lock-out (like the TwinLoc of Scott) but uses standard shock and forks with only 2 positions. They make it like it's a major upgrade, but the middle position will just do nothing.... Tuning them into 3 positions isn't that easy either.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Thx for info. Nice to know that my rear shock works as intended atleast. 😜

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    This whole thing is bizarre. Orbea put out a video a few weeks ago specifically highlighting the 3-position remote on an Oiz: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8EXpKDDgsQ

Why market the 3-pos so heavily if it doesn't do anything? Makes me feel better that my 2019 doesn't have Squidlock at least.

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    I skimmed the thread but didn't see much relating to the H aluminum frames. Does anyone know the weight of the H10 version? I want to compare to the new SC Tallboy 4 when it's released in a few weeks.

I know the SC will be heavier, and I want a more XC oriented bike. Just curious where the numbers fall on the Oiz Aluminum versions.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I am looking at the TR. I am 5'11" (about 180 cm), 170 lbs (77.1 kg). I looked at a large in my LBS and looked at the geometry chart for the bike. I want to be stretched out somewhat like on my road bike and the large actually looks too small. Anyone my size have a large TR? How does it fit you?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jdcowboy View Post
    I am looking at the TR. I am 5'11" (about 180 cm), 170 lbs (77.1 kg). I looked at a large in my LBS and looked at the geometry chart for the bike. I want to be stretched out somewhat like on my road bike and the large actually looks too small. Anyone my size have a large TR? How does it fit you?
    I am 182 cm with 86 cm inseam and 68 kg. I have large TR and the fit is great with 70 mm stem, but it definitely isn't stretched. Maybe longer stem would help with that and definitely XC Oiz instead of TR would help, as it has 20 mm lower stack.

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Sizing Help.....stopped by the bike shop this morning to order the 2020 M10Tr in medium as per the Orbea size guide. But the guy in the shop advised I go large. I'm 5'8 with a 31" leg. I tried a medium xc version and it did feel a tiny bit cramped but not massivley. I've never bought a large before, always medium. I've got short legs and a long body I know the Tr version will feel even shorter with the slacker head angel but still doesn't seem right some how...
    Anyone had a similar issue?

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    I am also 5'8 (173 cm) tall and for me medium is a perfect fit. On a large your saddle position would be very low. I have my saddle at 28'3 (72 cm) from center of bottom bracket.

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    I am also 5'8 (173 cm) tall and for me medium is a perfect fit. On a large your saddle position would be very low. I have my saddle at 28'3 (72 cm) from center of bottom bracket.

Do you not feel that the reach is short? I assume that's the TR model?
    I'm coming from a Trek superfly HT with 72 degree seat tube (oiz is 74) and a 70 degree head angle (Oiz xc 69), so maybe its just the modern geo that's throwing me off.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Arg, I did the same custom as you on my order, but on the website, I think the gold looked so much better than on your pic. I think it's too late to cancel now :'(

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    No it just feels perfect for me. I had a 2018 oiz in large but reach was to long for me.

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by GSC84 View Post
    Sizing Help.....stopped by the bike shop this morning to order the 2020 M10Tr in medium as per the Orbea size guide. But the guy in the shop advised I go large. I'm 5'8 with a 31" leg. I tried a medium xc version and it did feel a tiny bit cramped but not massivley. I've never bought a large before, always medium. I've got short legs and a long body I know the Tr version will feel even shorter with the slacker head angel but still doesn't seem right some how...
    With your 5'8 and 31" inseam I find it also strange that he advised a large. Orbea is a bit smaller than other brands, but with that height and inseam you're perfect for the medium by the sizing charts.

I did a test ride on a OIZ XC medium. I'm around 5'11 (179cm) with inseam 34inches.
    The frame was a bit too small for me, merely due to the fact I've longer legs / short body. I would need a higher seat post to fit the medium.

Also watch out for the dropper post that it has enough seat post length to drop.

A large frame has a seat tube length of 470mm and a crank of 175mm. With a saddle of 50mm and your inseam (79cm) it leaves only 95mm for the seat post and the dropper is 125mm.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Arg, I did the same custom as you on my order, but on the website, I think the gold looked so much better than on your pic. I think it's too late to cancel now :'(
    No, it looks way better irl. That pic has bad light. This pic is better.

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    With your 5'8 and 31" inseam I find it also strange that he advised a large. Orbea is a bit smaller than other brands, but with that height and inseam you're perfect for the medium by the sizing charts.

I did a test ride on a OIZ XC medium. I'm around 5'11 (179cm) with inseam 34inches.
    The frame was a bit too small for me, merely due to the fact I've longer legs / short body. I would need a higher seat post to fit the medium.

Also watch out for the dropper post that it's has enough seat post length to drop.

A large frame has a seat tube length of 470mm and a crank of 175mm. With a saddle of 50mm and your inseam (79cm) it leaves only 95mm for the seat post and the dropper is 125mm.
    I think you're right.....I've check the reach figures on my other bikes and they both sit at 425mm, which is exactly where a medium TR sits.

Thanks for the replies!

Edit: Just found this online which has got me scratching my head again:

From the mbr websire...

Recommended reach numbers for rider heightsHere are or recommendations based on rider height and recommended reach number…
    5′ 2″ to 5′ 6″ = 410mm to 450mm reach

5′ 6″ to 5′ 10″ = 430mm to 470mm reach

5′ 10″ to 6′ 2″ = 450mm to 490mm reach

6′ 2″ to 6′ 6″ = 470mm to 510mm reach
    Last edited by GSC84; 08-07-2019 at 07:03 AM. Reason: Update

mtbr member
    Jul 2019

Edit: Just found this online which has got me scratching my head again:

From the mbr websire...

Recommended reach numbers for rider heights[FONT="]Here are or recommendations based on rider height and recommended reach number…[/FONT]
    [FONT="]5′ 2″ to 5′ 6″ = 410mm to 450mm reach
    [/FONT]

[FONT="]5′ 6″ to 5′ 10″ = 430mm to 470mm reach
    [/FONT]

5′ 10″ to 6′ 2″ = 450mm to 490mm reach

6′ 2″ to 6′ 6″ = 470mm to 510mm reach
    The reach of the TR version is a bit less than the XC due to the 20mm higher fork. It's also a more comfortable position than the XC version.
    The recommendations above are to me a very racy geometry.
    A Scott Spark XC Large has a reach of 457mm which is a very XC orientated bike and their recommendations for the large frame are for riders from 5'10 to 6'1.

I think the large frame will be too big for you to really enjoy the trail aspect of the bike, which is why you are choosing TR in stead of XC.

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Really depends if you are willing to run a longer stem. Some people are high allergic to the idea of increasing their stem length. Personally I find XC bikes with slack head angles actually work really well with a slightly longer stem. I am 5'5 29inch inseam and after a lot of experimentation have settled on an 80mm stem on my Oiz (XC version).
    "The best pace is suicide pace, and today is a good day to die." Steve Prefontaine

mtbr member
    Aug 2019

Sizing

Quote Originally Posted by LMN View Post
    Really depends if you are willing to run a longer stem. Some people are high allergic to the idea of increasing their stem length. Personally I find XC bikes with slack head angles actually work really well with a slightly longer stem. I am 5'5 29inch inseam and after a lot of experimentation have settled on an 80mm stem on my Oiz (XC version).
    I did consider this. My current xc bike has a 90mm stem, Orbea comes with a 70mm so could increase it if needed

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    I did consider this. My current xc bike has a 90mm stem, Orbea comes with a 70mm so could increase it if needed
    If you choose the MyO program, you can choose between 70/80/90mm stem.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Does anyone know if the Oiz bottom bracket shell is smooth on the inside? What I'm getting at is would it be compatible with a BB Infinite bottom bracket?

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Does anyone know if the Oiz bottom bracket shell is smooth on the inside? What I'm getting at is would it be compatible with a BB Infinite bottom bracket?
    It's PF92.
    Below is the link to the blue paper of the OIZ OMR 2019 frame.
    https://www.orbea.com/us-en/support/...Z-OMR-2019-EN/

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    It's PF92.
    Below is the link to the blue paper of the OIZ OMR 2019 frame.
    https://www.orbea.com/us-en/support/...Z-OMR-2019-EN/
    I understand that it is PF92. The manual doesn't state if the shell is smooth (constant 41mm diameter) from edge to edge, or if there are recesses for the cups to press into and the center portion of the shell is less than 41mm diameter. I thought perhaps someone on this forum had replaced the BB and could speak to the inner dimensions of the shell.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    most modern frames are. you should be fine. and if not, nothing a dremel can't fix.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Some of the frames that have aluminum shells bonded in aren't a constant 41mm diameter. I'll check with Orbea and/or BB Infinite. One of them should know.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    New saddle post, saddle and new Vittoria tires. 

Last edited by Trhuster; 08-10-2019 at 10:10 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    I can confirm the BB shell is smooth all the way through. The DUB bearings have a shoulder on them that keeps them from sliding further into the shell. Removing the DUB bearings can be done with a BB30 tool (like the Foundation one from Jenson) once you remove the 1mm plastic axle spacer or you can just tap around the bearing with a punch.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Oiz-20190731_224903.jpg  

mtbr member
    I have the BB Infinite bottom bracket installed in mine.
    by Silentfoe

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Thanks for the replies on the BB shell. That is the info I was after.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013

Oiz Build

Here is my M10 trail build. It has been heavily modified. First off, mine is an XL. The frame, rear shock and remote, rear axle, seat collar, bottom bracket and all frame fittings for an XL came in at 2330 grams.

New Oiz-img_20190817_215454.jpg

After modification, bare bike like a manufacturer would weigh it (no accessories or pedals), came it at a hair under 21 lbs with rigid carbon seatpost. Build is XTR 9100 with a Quarq XX1 power meter crank and LB Carbon rims laces to DT Swiss 180 Ratchet Exp hubs and Rocket Ron 2.25 liteskin EVO tires.

New Oiz-img_20190822_201255.jpg

Ready to ride with Xpedo M4 ti pedals, 2 Blackburn bottle cages, computer mount and mount for Lezyne saddle pack at about 21.75 lbs.

New Oiz-img_20190822_200606.jpg

The bike will gain a little weight in the near future. I have a 9point8 Fall Line R 150mm dropper coming next week. I also plan on replacing the QR that came with the 34 SC with a bolt on axle, so that will offset the weight gain by about 40 grams.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    I'm awaiting an Oiz M10 TR and have a hardtail (same head tube length) with a 32 SC 100 mm fork.

I could easily and quickly turn the TR version into a race ready XC version by simply swapping the fork, seatpost (no dropper) and race wheels. The only difference would be the 120 mm shock.

It would perhaps be strange with 100 front and 120 mm in the back, so is there a quick way to turn the shock into 100 mm of travel? The XC version shock also has a different tune. Any experience with this? Cheers
    Last edited by anEagleRider; 08-24-2019 at 11:23 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by anEagleRider View Post
    so is there a quick way to turn the shock into 100 mm of travel?
    The only quick way to do this is to have two shocks. One with the XC tune, 40 mm travel, and one with the TR tune, 45 mm travel.
    Also consider the remote lockout.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I'm awaiting an Oiz M10 TR and have a hardtail (same head tube length) with a 32 SC 100 mm fork.

I could easily and quickly turn the TR version into a race ready XC version by simply swapping the fork, seatpost (no dropper) and race wheels. The only difference would be the 120 mm shock.

It would perhaps be strange with 100 front and 120 mm in the back, so is there a quick way to turn the shock into 100 mm of travel? The XC version shock also has a different tune. Any experience with this? Cheers
    It will not be strange....the length of both shocks are the same.

100mm vs 120mm

mtbr member
    Apr 2018

sure. just cram it full of spacers and raise the airpressure.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by biffhamilton View Post
    It will not be strange....the length of both shocks are the same.

100mm vs 120mm
    This. Changing the shock does not change the geometry of the bike at all so there's no reason to change it. If you want you could add some pressure to make it a little firmer but I probably wouldn't bother with that.

There's a weight savings for going from 34SC to 32SC so you could make that case if you wanted to go for a pure XC build on a non-technical course, but there's no point to change the shock.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    This. Changing the shock does not change the geometry of the bike at all so there's no reason to change it. If you want you could add some pressure to make it a little firmer but I probably wouldn't bother with that.

There's a weight savings for going from 34SC to 32SC so you could make that case if you wanted to go for a pure XC build on a non-technical course, but there's no point to change the shock.
    It will change the geo at sag.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I can 100% confirm that the Squidlock does NOT make the shock OR fork work with 3 settings.

It has open, and closed.

The middle setting on the Squidlock is also closed.

Very poor marketing from Orbea really. And to existing customers.

Its a much nice lever to use than the Fox one, but it's false advertising to say it 'works' with the current Oiz. It's compatible, but doesn't work as intended or advertised.

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    I've read that there's a difference between the GRIP and FIT4 dampers. GRIP would support Middle position, FIT4 is only 2 positions. The Fox Factory is FIT4 so only the models below M10 have the GRIP dampers.

But still very unclear and poor communication by Orbea.

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    For what I can tell with my M10 XC 2020 the Fork has 2-pos but the Shock has 3-pos.

With the Squidlock we have the following configurations:

Fork: lock and Shock: lock
    Fork: lock and Shock: middle
    Fork: open and Shock: open

Shock on the middle pos has a little more support than completely open.

This is what I can feel with my little time with the bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    For what I can tell with my M10 XC 2020 the Fork has 2-pos but the Shock has 3-pos.

With the Squidlock we have the following configurations:

Fork: lock and Shock: lock
    Fork: lock and Shock: middle
    Fork: open and Shock: open

Shock on the middle pos has a little more support than completely open.

This is what I can feel with my little time with the bike.
    That is strange, my 2020 M10 TR does not have a middle pos. What is your shock id? Mine is DM22.

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    My shock id is DP67.

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Moving the Squidlock from closed to middle position doesn't move anything on the fork.
    It looks like the cable is somewhat loose to give some movement room between these 2 positions.

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    I've read that there's a difference between the GRIP and FIT4 dampers. GRIP would support Middle position, FIT4 is only 2 positions. The Fox Factory is FIT4 so only the models below M10 have the GRIP dampers.

But still very unclear and poor communication by Orbea.
    FIT4 forks supports the 3 positions. You can see it here, on the news for the 2020 fork, for example: https://bikerumor.com/2019/04/10/ult...amper-updated/

Orbea is the one that chose to go with 2-pos push to open solution.

Don't know if you can have remote on Factory with 3 positions. On FOX pages only shows as damping options FIT4 3-Pos Lever w/adj and FIT4 2-Pos Remote w/adj): https://www.ridefox.com/family.php?m=bike&family=32

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Hi !

Does anybody know the size of the rotors that come with the Oiz Tr, please ?

Could only find the model of brakes that come with the TR 10, but no info about rotor size.

Thanks !

mtbr member
    Hi !

Does anybody know the size of the rotors that come with the Oiz Tr, please ?

Could only find the model of brakes that come with the TR 10, but no info about rotor size.

Thanks !
    160 and 180 on the ‘19
    ‘19 orbea oiz tr
    Cervelo R3sl
    Seven Alta
    Curtlo h/t

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    160 and 180 on the ‘19
    Same for 2020 TR M10.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Thanks for the replies !

Also, have you tried running it "full open" for a whole ride ? I'm not a big fan of having tons of cables all over my cockpit, and I'm wondering how it would go without the lockouts.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Thanks for the replies !

Also, have you tried running it "full open" for a whole ride ? I'm not a big fan of having tons of cables all over my cockpit, and I'm wondering how it would go without the lockouts.
    If not having cables was a higher priority for me, I would have bought an FS Epic with AXS. I do a lot of climbing and feel the bike really needs the lockout to get the most out of it.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Thanks for the replies !

Yes. You need a small volume spacer in the shock and about 20% sag to make it sit up well. I find it is a pretty linear spring curve.

mtbr member
    Last couple of rides I haven’t locked out at all. Climbs great to me and don’t feel like it’s bobbing up and down. Still playing with setup but overall not finding the need to tinker too much.
    Thanks for the replies !

‘19 orbea oiz tr
    Cervelo R3sl
    Seven Alta
    Curtlo h/t

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Thanks for the replies !

To me it rides fine wide open. Even standing it is pretty supportive and efficient feeling. The only time I notice any bob is if it is really smooth or on pavement, then I like the lockout.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Thanks for the replies !

Do you do a lot of out of saddle climbing? If not, riding full open all the time is fine. If you do, pretty much only the Epic climbs well out of saddle without a lockout and that’s only because the brain is a lockout.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Do you do a lot of out of saddle climbing? If not, riding full open all the time is fine. If you do, pretty much only the Epic climbs well out of saddle without a lockout and that’s only because the brain is a lockout.
    No, I'm more into seated granny gear climbing style.
    Not many very steep tech climbs where I live.

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    I've received my Oiz M10 TR 2020 yesterday!

Shock ID is DZB4
    Fork ID is DWNC

Very unsure that there is a difference between the two open positions on the shock. It feels the same when pushing with my weight on the saddle. Tested it by placing the rubber ring and comparing the sag with the same amount of pressure, but that seems the same. Maybe riding will be different, but I expect that the shock only has 2 positions.

Excited to ride it! But I have to apply the Invisiframe first.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I've received my Oiz M10 TR 2020 yesterday!

Shock ID is DZB4
    Fork ID is DWNC

Very unsure that there is a difference between the two open positions on the shock. It feels the same when pushing with my weight on the saddle. Tested it by placing the rubber ring and comparing the sag with the same amount of pressure, but that seems the same. Maybe riding will be different, but I expect that the shock only has 2 positions.

Excited to ride it! But I have to apply the Invisiframe first.
    Looks like it's all 2-position not 3. The shock is the same as mine from 2019 and the fork is 2-pos from the fork ID.

mtbr member
    Clearly false marketing on Orbeas part.

Fox does not make a 3 position shock with a remote.
    by Silentfoe

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Clearly false marketing on Orbeas part.

Fox does not make a 3 position shock with a remote.
    The Oiz's shock of the m10 has 3 positions, not the TR. The TR's shock is only 2 positions.
    The fork is only 2 positions in both versions.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fifo.M View Post
    The Oiz's shock of the m10 has 3 positions, not the TR. The TR's shock is only 2 positions.
    The fork is only 2 positions in both versions.
    Please send the 4 digit code to this 3 position shock you claim exists.
    by Silentfoe

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    My shock id is DP67.
    Above somebody mentioned his shock ID of his M10 XC 2020 version is DP67. He also claims to have 3 positions.

So from Fox ID website:

M10 XC 2020: Shock DP67:
    2019, FLOAT DPS, F-S, K, Remote Up, PTU, Evol SV, Rebound Reverse, Orbea, Oiz, 190, 40, 0.2 Spacer, DCL, DRM, CMF, No Logo

M10 TR 2020: Shock DZB4 (or some DM22):
    2020_19, FLOAT DPS, F-S, K, Remote Up, PTU, Evol SV, Rebound Reverse, Orbea, Oiz, 190, 45, No Spacer, LCL, LRM, CMF, No Logo

Only difference I see is Degressive (XC) vs Linear (TR) tuning of the shock.

mtbr member
    Above somebody mentioned his shock ID of his M10 XC 2020 version is DP67. He also claims to have 3 positions.

So from Fox ID website:

M10 XC 2020: Shock DP67:
    2019, FLOAT DPS, F-S, K, Remote Up, PTU, Evol SV, Rebound Reverse, Orbea, Oiz, 190, 40, 0.2 Spacer, DCL, DRM, CMF, No Logo

M10 TR 2020: Shock DZB4 (or some DM22):
    2020_19, FLOAT DPS, F-S, K, Remote Up, PTU, Evol SV, Rebound Reverse, Orbea, Oiz, 190, 45, No Spacer, LCL, LRM, CMF, No Logo

Only difference I see is Degressive (XC) vs Linear (TR) tuning of the shock.
    PTU = Push to unlock.

Please contact FOX. As of right now, they do not make a 3 position remote shock. It's either on or off.

Sorry, just the facts. Which apparently Orbea can't get right.
    by Silentfoe

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    PTU = Push to unlock.

Please contact FOX. As of right now, they do not make a 3 position remote shock. It's either on or off.

Sorry, just the facts. Which apparently Orbea can't get right.
    But if you read this:

https://www.ridefox.com/fox17/help.p...positionremote

It's the manual of the 2019 Float DPS shock and it has a section with 3-position remote / 2-position remote / adjusting leverer. Confusing

mtbr member
    But if you read this:

https://www.ridefox.com/fox17/help.p...positionremote

It's the manual of the 2019 Float DPS shock and it has a section with 3-position remote / 2-position remote / adjusting leverer. Confusing
    Yet Fox hasn't made the 3 position remote since 2016 if I am correct.

Try and buy one. They are hard to come by. I have 3 right here on my desk.

New Oiz-20190911_093959.jpg

New Oiz-20190911_094010.jpg

I buy them for use as my fork lockout because I like them better than the plastic one and because I have the McLeod shock, I don't need a lockout for that.

Seriously, I have this bike. It's a 2019. The shock was not a 3 position shock and according the the 4 digit code for 2020, it did not change.

Call Fox. They will tell you it's "on" or "off".

Everyone is beating a dead horse here.
    by Silentfoe

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Mi shock ID is DP67

mtbr member
    Mi shock ID is DP67
    Thanks, but not 3 position according to Fox:

by Silentfoe

mtbr member
    Mi shock ID is DP67
    I have the same shock. Not 3 position.
    New Oiz-20190911_170714.jpg

New Oiz-20190911_170729.jpg
    by Silentfoe

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    I have the same shock. Not 3 position.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190911_170714.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	107.9 KB 
ID:	1278627

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190911_170729.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	109.7 KB 
ID:	1278629
    Well, maybe that's right. But I can feel clearly the trail position in the shock with the squidlock remote.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Does anyone know what the internal width of the dt1650s that come on the m10 model ?

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Does anyone know what the internal width of the dt1650s that come on the m10 model ?
    I'm planning to make my wheels Tubeless this afternoon. I'll measure the internal width.

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    To install the bottle cages on the Orbea Oiz Carbon frame, do you use assembly paste?
    And if so, normal assembly paste or the carbon kind?

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    It is 25mm.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    It is 25mm.
    Tag on question, what hub/wheel/spoke makeup are they? I can't find information anywhere.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    To install the bottle cages on the Orbea Oiz Carbon frame, do you use assembly paste?
    And if so, normal assembly paste or the carbon kind?
    I use blue loctite on the bottle cage bolts and make sure the frame and cage is clean.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    I'm curious whether Squidlock would still be an upgrade over the separate lockouts on the '19 TR even if the shock is only 2 positions.

I'd hope that Squidlock would be a cleaner setup and maybe higher overall build quality, but I'd be concerned about having to click through a useless middle position between open and closed. Not sure if that's a valid concern though, presumably you could just use middle and closed since by all accounts middle sounds like it is full open.

Has anyone ridden both a '19 TR and '20 TR with Squidlock and have any comparison on the feel?

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    I'm curious whether Squidlock would still be an upgrade over the separate lockouts on the '19 TR even if the shock is only 2 positions.

I'd hope that Squidlock would be a cleaner setup and maybe higher overall build quality, but I'd be concerned about having to click through a useless middle position between open and closed. Not sure if that's a valid concern though, presumably you could just use middle and closed since by all accounts middle sounds like it is full open.

Has anyone ridden both a '19 TR and '20 TR with Squidlock and have any comparison on the feel?
    I've ridden with both (Fox lock-out on the '19 and squidlock on my new bike). I find the squidlock better. Especially with the dropper post switch, it's easy to press the right switch even while cornering and high speed. I find myself pressing only to the middle position and almost never to the open position, so the 3 positions isn't a burden.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I've ridden with both (Fox lock-out on the '19 and squidlock on my new bike). I find the squidlock better. Especially with the dropper post switch, it's easy to press the right switch even while cornering and high speed. I find myself pressing only to the middle position and almost never to the open position, so the 3 positions isn't a burden.
    What's the middle position do? Isn't it just either open or locked out?

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    What's the middle position do? Isn't it just either open or locked out?
    The middle position is open shock and open fork, same as the open position. So middle and open position (2nd and 3rd) have the same result.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Just got a 2020 Oiz frameset and have built up my new race rig. Really impressed by the frame. However, like some others I struggle a bit with the rear suspension set up.

On another forum I read "hardtail like", "super firm", "lockout lie" and more like this. Well, "firm" is definitely firmer than "open" but it's more like a stiffer platform than like a lockout.

Since I've already had to deal with faulty brand new Fox elements in the past I'm just wondering if the Oiz damper behaves as it should.

What is your experience? Do you have 0% sag when in firm? No bounce at all when cruising along at higher cadence in the flats?

Orbea speaks of a "low sag design" w/r to the Oiz. Not sure what that's supposed to mean but I get almost the same sag when in firm and open. Firm is - well - just firmer (what a statement ...).

Would really appreciate to hear your experiences, talking suspension set ups is always sort of fuzzy.

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by quax View Post
    Just got a 2020 Oiz frameset and have built up my new race rig. Really impressed by the frame. However, like some others I struggle a bit with the rear suspension set up.

On another forum I read "hardtail like", "super firm", "lockout lie" and more like this. Well, "firm" is definitely firmer than "open" but it's more like a stiffer platform than like a lockout.

Since I've already had to deal with faulty brand new Fox elements in the past I'm just wondering if the Oiz damper behaves as it should.

What is your experience? Do you have 0% sag when in firm? No bounce at all when cruising along at higher cadence in the flats?

Orbea speaks of a "low sag design" w/r to the Oiz. Not sure what that's supposed to mean but I get almost the same sag when in firm and open. Firm is - well - just firmer (what a statement ...).

Would really appreciate to hear your experiences, talking suspension set ups is always sort of fuzzy.
    I've the M10 TR 2020 version (shock: DZB4). With firm you mean closed right and not the middle position?

It's not that I don't see my shock moving when riding in closed, but most of the bouncing (if already noticeable) comes from the tires. The shock is like 95% stiff and a huge difference between open and closed when riding on asphalt/streets.

I can ride easily up to 30kph (18,6mph) on the road without ever thinking that the bouncing or bobbing is too annoying, it's not noticeable. I come from a Hardtail and this is my first Fully so normally I'm the type of person who would feel the big difference of the bouncing/bobbing if it's there when the shock is closed.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Yes, firm=closed. The frameset comes only with Fox 2-pos remote, no middle-Squidlock for me. And the frameset is XC, so I would assume our dampers (should) behave differently, I believe with TR closed is softer (if I remember correctly).

What do you mean by "bouncing comes from the tires"? This bouncing does not transfer to a movement of the link? Or do you mean movement of the link is caused by tire bouncing and not by "inefficiency".

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Yes, firm=closed. The frameset comes only with Fox 2-pos remote, no middle-Squidlock for me. And the frameset is XC, so I would assume our dampers (should) behave differently, I believe with TR closed is softer (if I remember correctly).

What do you mean by "bouncing comes from the tires"? This bouncing does not transfer to a movement of the link? Or do you mean movement of the link is caused by tire bouncing and not by "inefficiency".
    I did a testride on the XC 2019 version and that was indeed even a bit stiffer than the TR version that I now have.

With bouncing of the tires, I'm mean when you are riding on hard surfaces you can see and feel the bike going up/down a little when peddling at higher speed. It's not the shock that causes that (or not the main reason) but the low tire pressure.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Rasmazzer, how is the bike for climbing, like steep hills or technical stuff? Does it wander when climbing steep stuff? How do you like the new XT drivetrain?

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Rasmazzer, how is the bike for climbing, like steep hills or technical stuff? Does it wander when climbing steep stuff? How do you like the new XT drivetrain?
    I received the bike last week. Spent a the first days placing the Invisiframe protection, so I did my first ride this Saturday, but on a flat track (singletracks + field roads). I'm planning to do some more technical hilly track this week or next weekend. I'll let you know how that goes. With the XC test bike technical climbing went very well.

It was already dark this Saturday and missed a lot of turns, but I had a good average speed on Strava, so I'm sure I won't be slower than with my previous Specialized Hardtail XC bike. It's a lot easier to keep traction with this bike because I don't have to come out of the saddle on bumpy roads.

The XT drivetrain feels good. Very quick reaction when shifting gears. The shifters are a bit stiffer than my previous bike with SLX shifters. Maybe it's the tention of the cable. But the position of the shifters, the brakes, the lock-out is much better.

I rode last 5 years with an XC hardtail, so for me it's a huge difference. But momentarily I find only positive things about the change of bike. Maybe on the technical climbs I will miss the hardtail, I'll let you know when I have ridden a few more tracks.

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007

You should be pretty close to 0% sag when in firm mode. Or at least that was the case in the 2019 bikes. I do know that some of the XCO racers were looking for a firm mode that perhaps had a bit more give to it. Maybe Orbea made a change is their shock spec for 2020.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by LMN View Post
    You should be pretty close to 0% sag when in firm mode. Or at least that was the case in the 2019 bikes. I do know that some of the XCO racers were looking for a firm mode that perhaps had a bit more give to it. Maybe Orbea made a change is their shock spec for 2020.
    Yep, my TR has almost a full lockout with the shock locked.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Is anyone running a 2.35 or 2.4 tyre on the back ? if so is there reasonable clearance ?

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    With bouncing of the tires, I'm mean when you are riding on hard surfaces you can see and feel the bike going up/down a little when peddling at higher speed. It's not the shock that causes that (or not the main reason) but the low tire pressure.
    As an example of this, try riding a fat bike on asphalt. Even fully rigid bikes can have tons of bounce when pedaling if you're running low pressures.

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    If you put the bike away after riding, is it best to lock or unlock the shock/fork? With the PTU the locked position is the one with less tension on the cable.

Or does it not matter?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    If you put the bike away after riding, is it best to lock or unlock the shock/fork? With the PTU the locked position is the one with less tension on the cable.

Or does it not matter?
    Won't make a difference. You don't worry about leaving your mech in the lowest gear, do you?

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Won't make a difference. You don't worry about leaving your mech in the lowest gear, do you?

Yeah, I do, it's a spring under tension. Why stress it any more than necessary?

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Yeah, I do, it's a spring under tension. Why stress it any more than necessary?

Shimano's been asked the question of what gear a bike should be left in. They always say it does not matter.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Does anyone know if you can Oiz-M LTD or Oiz-M Team with 100 rear travel, but get the 120mm Fox 34 fork?
    On the menu- It shows a change to 120 front and rear if you want the 34mm fork.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by bootsie_cat View Post
    Does anyone know if you can Oiz-M LTD or Oiz-M Team with 100 rear travel, but get the 120mm Fox 34 fork?
    On the menu- It shows a change to 120 front and rear if you want the 34mm fork.
    You have to buy the fork separate. It's explained earlier in this thread.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Oiz single speed
    Attachment 1255273
    How does the bike perform set up SS? No weird flex issues or chain skipping?

mtbr member
    Any Oiz owners who have also ridden a Santa Cruz Blur? How does the ride compare, particularly for pedaling efficiency in the open positions?

I demo’d a Blur Tr today, and wow, what a bike! It was so fast climbing compared to my enduro bike (duh). I was pleasantly surprised by how well it handled the descents. I don’t have a way to demo an Oiz, but just wondering if I could expect a similar performance and ride feel. Definitely a much better value than Santa Cruz.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sid Duffman View Post
    Any Oiz owners who have also ridden a Santa Cruz Blur? How does the ride compare, particularly for pedaling efficiency in the open positions?

I demo’d a Blur Tr today, and wow, what a bike! It was so fast climbing compared to my enduro bike (duh). I was pleasantly surprised by how well it handled the descents. I don’t have a way to demo an Oiz, but just wondering if I could expect a similar performance and ride feel. Definitely a much better value than Santa Cruz.

I owned the Blur prior to my OIZ. The OIZ climbs much better and is faster overall.

The Blur was more comfortable however for longer rides.

I wouldn't consider the Blur again.
    by Silentfoe

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Just an FYI because I was caught unaware. If you buy the M10 TR build and would like to change brakes, I hate Shimano brakes it appears you either have to buy a new shifter or a band that costs as much as a shifter to do so thanks to the ISpec EV.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Just an FYI because I was caught unaware. If you buy the M10 TR build and would like to change brakes, I hate Shimano brakes it appears you either have to buy a new shifter or a band that costs as much as a shifter to do so thanks to the ISpec EV.

I assume you are talking about the 2020 M10 TR with XT (2019 had SRAM Eagle mix and match).

My 2019 came with SRAM shifter with its own band (compared to what comes with the shifter normally) and XTR brakes with ISpec EV. I was able to attach my SRAM shifter to my XTR brakes using the parts from the SRAM matchmaker (flat half round nut that fits between the handlebar and clamp, small aluminum shifter holder is then held on by a countersunk screw). Is there no way to do the same the other way around with your setup?

If you are doing something other than SRAM brakes, I have no idea.

I have noticed very little from Problem Solvers and others as far as mixed group sets and the with ISpec EV

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    I assume you are talking about the 2020 M10 TR with XT (2019 had SRAM Eagle mix and match).

My 2019 came with SRAM shifter with its own band (compared to what comes with the shifter normally) and XTR brakes with ISpec EV. I was able to attach my SRAM shifter to my XTR brakes using the parts from the SRAM matchmaker (flat half round nut that fits between the handlebar and clamp, small aluminum shifter holder is then held on by a countersunk screw). Is there no way to do the same the other way around with your setup?

I have noticed very little from Problem Solvers and others as far as mixed group sets and the with ISpec EV
    I'm running Formula brakes but from what we could tell there isn't a hack for getting the shifter attached to anything but an EV mount.

mtbr member
    Friend of mine is gonna pick up tomorrow his Orbea Oiz M10 2020 mint green / black. Bummer to read about the Squid lock seeming to support only 2 positions. Gonna check it out when I have the chance, love the color though.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by madskatingcow View Post
    Friend of mine is gonna pick up tomorrow his Orbea Oiz M10 2020 mint green / black. Bummer to read about the Squid lock seeming to support only 2 positions. Gonna check it out when I have the chance, love the color though.
    Even if it does only support two after test riding a 19 and spinning my 20 around the parking lot it is a major ergonomics upgrade.

mtbr member
    Even if it does only support two after test riding a 19 and spinning my 20 around the parking lot it is a major ergonomics upgrade.
    An ergonomics update you could get by purchasing the Squid lock lever separately.
    Price/value the Orbea's are hard to beat.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    An ergonomics update you could get by purchasing the Squid lock lever separately.
    Price/value the Orbea's are hard to beat.
    Yep, especially with what they did with the Rallon. They turned a two year bike into a 4+ year bike with the new linkage.

mtbr member
    Jul 2019

Hi,

I have the same setup, Sram shifter and XTR 9100 brakes.
    Do I have to buy any matchmaker? If so, could you post the link please?

Enviado desde mi GM1900 mediante Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Hey everyone !

Received my Oiz TR last week.

Needless to say I'm not impressed with the quality of the paint...

Picked up the bike, put it gently in the trunk of my car as I always do with my bikes, and got home... BOOM. 3cm of paint got removed from the left chainstay... Which leaves a white chunk in the middle of the matte black bike.

I got the invisiframe kit ready to install, but I'm a bit scared about the parts that might not be covered.

Do you know what kind of sharpie or paint I could use to cover the part where the paint has been removed ?

Didn't test the bike yet, gonna install the invisiframe kit first.

mtbr member
    My friend just received his new Orbea Oiz 2020, the XC version :

Fork ID : DPQ5
    2020 Factory Series 32 FLOAT FIT4 REM ADJ PTU
    2020, 32, K, FLOAT SC, 29in, F-S, 100, FIT4, Remote-Adj, Psh-Unlk, 2Pos, (10pm CP), Matte Blk, No Logo, 15QRx110, 1.5 T, 44mm Rake, OE

Shock ID : DZB5
    2019 Factory Series FLOAT
    2020_19, FLOAT DPS, F-S, K, Remote Up, PTU, Evol SV, Rebound Reverse, Orbea, Oiz, 190, 40, 0.2 Spacer, DCL, DRM, CMF, No Logo

mtbr member
    My friend just received his new Orbea Oiz 2020, the XC version :

Fork ID : DPQ5
    2020 Factory Series 32 FLOAT FIT4 REM ADJ PTU
    2020, 32, K, FLOAT SC, 29in, F-S, 100, FIT4, Remote-Adj, Psh-Unlk, 2Pos, (10pm CP), Matte Blk, No Logo, 15QRx110, 1.5 T, 44mm Rake, OE

2020_19, FLOAT DPS, F-S, K, Remote Up, PTU, Evol SV, Rebound Reverse, Orbea, Oiz, 190, 40, 0.2 Spacer, DCL, DRM, CMF, No Logo
    So your friends 2020 came with a 2019 shock?
    Good job Orbea
    by Silentfoe

mtbr member
    So your friends 2020 came with a 2019 shock?
    Good job Orbea
    I think you missed the detail :

mtbr member
    I think you missed the detail :

Nope.
    Didn't miss any detail.

Your post above clearly states

And so does Fox's website.

I think you are missing something.
    by Silentfoe

mtbr member
    Nope.

I think you are missing something.
    Are you a troll?

mtbr member
    Troll.

How so? I responded to your post and now you are butt hurt about it.

If your friend bought a 2020 OIZ, why did it ship with a 2019 shock? Seems weird to me.

And let me guess, he has the Squid lock. A 3 position remote on a bike that has a 2 position suspension.
    by Silentfoe

mtbr member
    Troll.

How so? I responded to your post and now you are butt hurt about it.

If your friend bought a 2020 OIZ, why did it ship with a 2019 shock? Seems weird to me.

And let me guess, he has the Squid lock. A 3 position remote on a bike that has a 2 position suspension.
    I'm definitely not butt hurt about it, it's just the way you respond and try to make your point.

Perhaps it's labeled the "2019 factory series" as the shock is unchanged for 2020? Ask Fox if you want to know? Somewhere higher in the thread you posted "somebody mentioned his shock ID of his M10 XC 2020 version is DP67. He also claims to have 3 positions", that ID differs from my friend's Oiz M10 2020 XC.
    I just copy / pasted the shock ID's & info from the Fox website to contribute to the topic.

I was considering an Oiz myself, but probably stick to my Spark 2019 with 3-pos remote

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Hey everyone !

Received my Oiz TR last week.

Needless to say I'm not impressed with the quality of the paint...

Picked up the bike, put it gently in the trunk of my car as I always do with my bikes, and got home... BOOM. 3cm of paint got removed from the left chainstay... Which leaves a white chunk in the middle of the matte black bike.

I got the invisiframe kit ready to install, but I'm a bit scared about the parts that might not be covered.

Do you know what kind of sharpie or paint I could use to cover the part where the paint has been removed ?

Didn't test the bike yet, gonna install the invisiframe kit first.
    That's a total bummer. The paint is thin and the white primer super obvious.

I ride XC style trails and found no matter where I put protection, something will hit the bike someplace else and the smallest pebble will leave a white chip. It's been a hard pill to swallow.

I don't have any answers yet other than I've asked Orbea and they don't do touch up paint, which seems like a lost market opportunity given the thin paint.

Formerly of Kent
    Been trying to find a shop with a Medium I could throw a leg over for a while. Look to have locked a demo ride down for this weekend.

Hoping it’s a good fit and that it might be on sale (it’s a 2019).

Does anyone know what the difference in weight is between a 34 SC Fit 3 pos and Grip?

Death from Below.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast