New Oiz - Page 2- Mtbr.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Oiz

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jstandfest View Post
    Did you ever consider the Canyon Lux and if so what pushed you towards the Orbea? My issue is either bike I would have to buy sight unseen and shipped as there isn't an Orbea dealer anywhere near and of course Canyon is internet direct.
    Yes, I did and it was one of the first I was leaning on. But, as I recall, it did not have the "modern geo" and that was really the only thing that kept me from it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Keola View Post
    Shagster what size did you go with?
    I went with a Large. The geometry change is throwing me off a bit and I still make slight adjustments to the cockpit for fit. What I have found to be my personal preference, is to ride the saddle height slightly higher than my normal fit. I run a 90mm stem at the very top of the stack, angled 6 degrees down. I don't know if this "elevated" position is due to the frame being too small or relative to the new Geo.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by chapman_164 View Post
    I haven't had the Oiz nearly as long as shagster but I did consider the Canyon Lux as well. I went with the Oiz because of a few component preferences (I prefer Shimano brakes and wanted to try Fox suspension), I thought I'd like the Oiz geometry better, and I liked that I could go with 120/120 without really giving up much. Also, the Oiz just felt like a better overall value. Never threw a leg over either bike before I ordered so in a similar situation to you but still happy with my decision.
    Did you end up purchasing via internet/telephone and having the Oiz shipped to you or did you travel to find an Orbea dealer? I don't have any Orbea dealer remotely close so would need somewhere willing to sell and ship without setting foot in a store...

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jstandfest View Post
    Did you end up purchasing via internet/telephone and having the Oiz shipped to you or did you travel to find an Orbea dealer? I don't have any Orbea dealer remotely close so would need somewhere willing to sell and ship without setting foot in a store...
    I didn't have a dealer nearby either so I talked to a few online retailers. Mike's Bikes and Bike Bling were both very helpful and I wouldn't hesitate to do business with either, but I ended up going with Jenson - they were very helpful as well and had the bike in stock. Shipping was very quick and the bike arrived beautifully packed (huge box, just had to put the front wheel on, throw on my pedals, and it was ready to ride).

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Sounds awesome! What size tires are you using and how much clearance is there on the rear?

Quote Originally Posted by shagster View Post
    I have owned the M10 TR 19 since December and am happy to help answer any questions that I can. For reference, I came from years of hard tail MTB only. I am approximately 6' 2" and 175 LBS. What appealed to me about the OIZ (and I did a pretty in depth review of several bikes on paper) was:
    * New geometry
    * double water cages (endurance/bikepacking)
    * weight?
    * OIZ has been solid for me over the years.

My intended use was primarily fast XC style singletrack with occasional road trips to more popular areas, like Asheville / North Georgia

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I've been scouring the web for the erd on the rim of the crossmax wheelset. Does anyone have it? I'd like to replace the hoops and go a touch wider- 27-30mm rather than the 22.5 stock wheels. A wheelset may in order at some point but I'd rather just re-lace the stock wheels with a wider hoop.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by king_dave72 View Post
    Sounds awesome! What size tires are you using and how much clearance is there on the rear?
    2.25 Mezcal and there is 10mm on either side to the chainstay

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Hi,

Do anyone knows if we can use the Fox 3 position remote control with the i-line suspension?
    Has anyone tried it?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by raptormig View Post
    Hi,

Do anyone knows if we can use the Fox 3 position remote control with the i-line suspension?
    Has anyone tried it?

Thanks.
    Yes, you can, but why would you?
    by Silentfoe
    I'm satisfied knowing that what I wear during my "day" job makes me more of a man than you'll ever be.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    There would be no benefit to doing this. We had a customer that wanted to do this, so we called Fox and they let us know that valve is binary, meaning the compression circuit is either opened or closed.

Sadly adding the third click on the remote wouldn't do anything to make the shock work differently.

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by NOLAwrench View Post
    There would be no benefit to doing this. We had a customer that wanted to do this, so we called Fox and they let us know that valve is binary, meaning the compression circuit is either opened or closed.

Sadly adding the third click on the remote wouldn't do anything to make the shock work differently.
    This was my main doubt, not if I could but if the shock would behave differently because it's not a generic Fox Factory shock.
    Another thing that I noticed is that the shock also doesn't have the low compression dial. Is it true?
    Does anyone miss this functionality?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by raptormig View Post
    Another thing that I noticed is that the shock also doesn't have the low compression dial. Is it true?
    Does anyone miss this functionality?
    It's true that the shock does not have the low speed compression dial. Only adjustment is rebound. As to if I miss the functionality, being my first full suspension bike I don't have much to compare it to, but in the little bit of riding I've done I haven't felt like I need more low speed damping. And with the remote it's easy enough to lock out on on road climbs.

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I just built up my new Oiz last week and put two good rides in this weekend. I am impressed.

I can't believe how well the bike climbs. Coming from the old Oiz with a 3-position iCD lockout I was pretty sure that I was going to miss that middle setting. I don't, the bike is firm and stiff under power, I am not having to use that lockout lever to make the bike "stand up" on the steep climbs.

I am still dialling in the bike for descending. I think the fork has one or two less volume spacers than I am use to. It is taking a bit time to find the right pressure in the front get the balance that I am looking for. But I think I am in the ball park now.

Bike set-up:
    Rider weight: 61kg.
    Fork: 84psi, LSC open, LSR 9 clicks from closed.
    Rear: 150psi, LSR, 7 clicks from closed.
    "The best pace is suicide pace, and today is a good day to die." Steve Prefontaine

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by LMN View Post
    I am not having to use that lockout lever to make the bike "stand up" on the steep climbs...
    Thanks for posting, I have an XC Oiz on order and was wondering this exact thing this weekend when I was out on my 2013 Jet 9 RDO going over rollers. I love to stand and power over these things to keep momentum up and hitting the lockout at every top and bottom would get old fast.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Nice! I'm interested in an Oiz with 120/120 set up. I'm just about the same weight. I'm coming from a 100 mm RS 32 mm fork on a HT. What kind of suspension are you used to? A lot of suspension seems to be tuned for riders heavier than me and I'd like to learn more about how to tune suspension for some light like me.

I just built up my new Oiz last week and put two good rides in this weekend. I am impressed.

I can't believe how well the bike climbs. Coming from the old Oiz with a 3-position iCD lockout I was pretty sure that I was going to miss that middle setting. I don't, the bike is firm and stiff under power, I am not having to use that lockout lever to make the bike "stand up" on the steep climbs.

I am still dialling in the bike for descending. I think the fork has one or two less volume spacers than I am use to. It is taking a bit time to find the right pressure in the front get the balance that I am looking for. But I think I am in the ball park now.

Bike set-up:
    Rider weight: 61kg.
    Fork: 84psi, LSC open, LSR 9 clicks from closed.
    Rear: 150psi, LSR, 7 clicks from closed.

mtbr member
    I just built up my new Oiz last week and put two good rides in this weekend. I am impressed...
    Do you have the XC or TR version? I am just a few kgs heavier and I am coming to XC from enduro, so I am wondering if I'll need more/bigger spacers for the suspension. I'll have Oiz TR.

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by JayDee81 View Post
    Do you have the XC or TR version? I am just a few kgs heavier and I am coming to XC from enduro, so I am wondering if I'll need more/bigger spacers for the suspension. I'll have Oiz TR.
    I am running the XC version.

I do not believe that aggressive riders require more volume spacers. How many volume spacers you prefer has more to do with your suspension preference, primary trail type, and suspension travel.
    "The best pace is suicide pace, and today is a good day to die." Steve Prefontaine

mtbr member
    I am running the XC version.

I do not believe that aggressive riders require more volume spacers. How many volume spacers you prefer has more to do with your suspension preference, primary trail type, and suspension travel.
    Thanks.

I meant it more in the sense that I will be riding also gnarlier trails than most XC people and if the suspension is too soft, well it's no good. I also read that the TR version has more linear suspension than the XC version.
    On another note when I did one XC race on borrowed bike last year, most of the guys were damn slow on the downhills (nothing technical, just straight line bombing). But maybe the stock tune is not for these regular guys. Then it would be fine. I guess I'll see.

I checked the Fox's recommended starting settings and you are way higher on the fork (psi) and your rebound settings are quite far from recommended too for your psi, so it might be just your specific preference.

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by JayDee81 View Post
    I checked the Fox's recommended starting settings and you are way higher on the fork (psi) and your rebound settings are quite far from recommended too for your psi, so it might be just your specific preference.
    True, but my wife's set-up mirrors mine. She is 52kg and runs 72psi and 11 clicks LSR in the front, and 132 and 9 clicks of LSR in the rear. It was actually Fox that put that set-up on her bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Maybe a long shot, but can anyone compare a TR version to a Tallboy3?

I'm looking for a all day/everyday bike with 3-4 marathon (50-100mi) races per year. My everyday riding is in Delaware, so 120/120 sounds perfect for what I need on a daily basis.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by smartyiak View Post
    Maybe a long shot, but can anyone compare a TR version to a Tallboy3?

I'm looking for a all day/everyday bike with 3-4 marathon (50-100mi) races per year. My everyday riding is in Delaware, so 120/120 sounds perfect for what I need on a daily basis.
    The Oiz is lighter and definitely feels more XC ,I’d consider the TB3 to be a better trail bike and the Oiz to be a better long legged race bike.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    What about the Oiz TR or buying one of the Oiz XC bikes with the 120mm suspension upgrade?

Quote Originally Posted by nolamonster View Post
    The Oiz is lighter and definitely feels more XC ,I’d consider the TB3 to be a better trail bike and the Oiz to be a better long legged race bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    What about the Oiz TR or buying one of the Oiz XC bikes with the 120mm suspension upgrade?
    The XC with the 120 upgrade is what I’m comparing. The TB3 just feels like a burlier bike. It could just be the vpp vs the single pivot.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    What was your motivation to get an XC bike with the 120 fork/shock vs getting the TR? Was it just to get a nicer spec like the Team or LTD?

I was planning on getting the TR spec before because I was only planning on getting the M10 model, but just crunching the numbers now I'm reconsidering. The 120 travel 'kit' is $169 to add. I previously thought that was fork only but the website makes it sound like that includes the longer stroke in the rear travel too.

The only other differences I see in the M10-TR vs the normal M10 then are the dropper and a slightly beefier tire. Subtracting out the $169 for the suspension 'upgrade', you're paying $231 on the TR for the Aeffect dropper and the tire. That's not outrageous and I actually do want a a dropper, but for ~$200 I think I could get a nicer dropper than the Aeffect...

mtbr member
    I went with the TR, but I got it for the price of the M10. I sold the dropper, bars, Stem, saddle and wheels, etc.

The price for the LTD is nuts. The M10 and TR are pretty reasonable, in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by tgarson View Post
    .... and the tire....
    And technically, if you are ordering, the tires are a "no charge" option.

So another way to look at it is...
    The XC w/ custom upgrade to 120mm and dropper is $100 less than a TR (at least on the Orbea site right now). Who knows why.

All that said, if you can find a TR in a shop and you wanted to be riding any time soon, even if there was stuff to take off, it might be worth it. Looks like lead times are June/July right now, mine that was ordered Feb 22nd isn't due until June 17th (and I hope it's not delayed).

mtbr member
    True, but my wife's set-up mirrors mine. She is 52kg and runs 72psi and 11 clicks LSR in the front, and 132 and 9 clicks of LSR in the rear. It was actually Fox that put that set-up on her bike.
    LMN,
    What sag are you running?

OK, I'll chime in.

Last year I owned 2 new S-Works Epics. Great climbing bikes - WHEN THEY WORKED. I ran one SS with a tensioner, and one geared. I blew through 3 Brains. Total junk, but supposedly they fixed this problem. Both were sold as I could no longer wait for Specialized to service my rear shock - more than 2 week turn around.

Next up, Santa Cruz Blur. 20.5 lbs. Much more comfortable bike for long rides over 30 miles. For some reason, this bike seemed boring to me. Sold

Next - Orange Stage 4. Rode this bike all winter and it was just plain fun. I love this bike, but it is noway an XC race bike. More like an all day trail bike. It does everything right but for me is on the heavier side. 24 lbs. and change. Still light, but not where I like my bikes to be. Did I say I love this bike???

So I ordered an OIZ based on everything I read about it. I received it last week, took all the parts off of it, and built it up with my wheels, cockpit, and drivetrain. Off to the trail. Tonight was the first ride and what I can say is, this bike turns incredibly. It is so maneuverable. I set a bunch of PRs today on a tight technical trail. However, this bike does in no way climb as efficient as the Epic, or even the Blur. It seems to do well while seated, clawing its way over any roots or rocks, much like the Orange. But, standing with the suspension open - FORGET IT. I guess that is why it has a lock out.

It is a fun bike for sure, and pedals well seated, but out of the 3 other XC bikes above, it seems lacking when standing. So, as of right now, I'm sick of buying and building bikes, and will keep this one probably for a year or two, but I will definitely be playing with this suspension to try to dial it in.

Any help would be appreciated. 5'9" - 70 kg.
    by Silentfoe
    I'm satisfied knowing that what I wear during my "day" job makes me more of a man than you'll ever be.

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Zerort View Post
    LMN,
    What sag are you running?

So I ordered an OIZ based on everything I read about it. I received it last week, took all the parts off of it, and built it up with my wheels, cockpit, and drivetrain. Off to the trail. Tonight was the first ride and what I can say is, this bike turns incredibly. It is so maneuverable. I set a bunch of PRs today on a tight technical trail. However, this bike does in no way climb as efficient as the Epic, or even the Blur. It seems to do well while seated, clawing its way over any roots or rocks, much like the Orange. But, standing with the suspension open - FORGET IT. I guess that is why it has a lock out.

It is a fun bike for sure, and pedals well seated, but out of the 3 other XC bikes above, it seems lacking when standing. So, as of right now, I'm sick of buying and building bikes, and will keep this one probably for a year or two, but I will definitely be playing with this suspension to try to dial it in.

Any help would be appreciated. 5'9" - 70 kg.
    SAG, not sure. Not a lot though maybe 10-15%.

I am pretty damm happy with how my oiz climbs when open. And I am typically a lockout user.

Are you on the 120mm bike or 100mm bike? I know the 120mm bike runs a way different shock tune then 100mm bike. That shock is going to be a lot more active. If that is what you are running, try going to smaller volume spacer and increasing the air pressure. This should firm things up.

My current set-up is 140psi, stock volume spacer. Bike is nice and firm out of the saddle and I am using full travel but not hitting bottom.

mtbr member
    XC.

My Sag was at about 15%. About 165-170 psi for my 155 lbs.

Just did a 38 mile ride today. While the bike is definitely fast something just doesn't seem right.

Too stiff over high speed chatter, spongy out of the saddle, but climbs good seated.

It seems to me less sag would make it even more harsh on faster hits.

This frame with my Orange suspension would be brilliant.
    by Silentfoe

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    XC.

My Sag was at about 15%. About 165-170 psi for my 155 lbs.

Just did a 38 mile ride today. While the bike is definitely fast something just doesn't seem right.

Too stiff over high speed chatter, spongy out of the saddle, but climbs good seated.

It seems to me less sag would make it even more harsh on faster hits.

This frame with my Orange suspension would be brilliant.
    That pressure seems in range for your weight. Both my wife and I have softened our bikes as we dial in the settings.

When I think about it I can't honestly give an opinion who it climbs out of the saddle when open. If the ground is smooth and I am climbing out of the saddle I just about always lock the suspension.

I know I am super happy with how it climbs out of the saddle across rough terrain.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    That pressure seems in range for your weight. Both my wife and I have softened our bikes as we dial in the settings.

When I think about it I can't honestly give an opinion who it climbs out of the saddle when open. If the ground is smooth and I am climbing out of the saddle I just about always lock the suspension.

I know I am super happy with how it climbs out of the saddle across rough terrain.
    I have the trail edition and I am extremely happy with how it climbs while in open mode. I have always been a fan of having and using lockout but honestly haven't really felt the need on this bike yet. I weigh roughly 172 lbs and run about 160 PSI rear which puts me just under 25% sag. I have slowly tightened the rebound and if I am not mistaken, I am 7 clicks from closed. It has taken a while for me to adjust both my riding style and the bike but I am loving it now.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shagster View Post
    I have the trail edition and I am extremely happy with how it climbs while in open mode. I have always been a fan of having and using lockout but honestly haven't really felt the need on this bike yet. I weigh roughly 172 lbs and run about 160 PSI rear which puts me just under 25% sag. I have slowly tightened the rebound and if I am not mistaken, I am 7 clicks from closed. It has taken a while for me to adjust both my riding style and the bike but I am loving it now.
    I think everyone is missing my point.

The bike climbs great - especially seated.

While standing, it still climbs well, but not like an Epic. It has a lot more suspension travel than I am used to. More than my Orange.

My problem is with the chatter, small bump compliance. It's harsh.

I spoke with the bike shop that I bought it from and they asked Orbea what the SAG should be. They replied 25%. If you are 150 lbs or less, then you can run more SAG.

I am heading out shortly and will try 30% because I'm right in the 150 pound range.

My rebound is set approximately in the middle.

If the bike is too harsh still, I will either buy the TR rear shock, or tranfer the shock from my Orange to this bike. Luckily they are both 190x40.
    by Silentfoe

mtbr member
    UPDATE:

30% Sag. Much better all around.New Oiz-20190409_121148.jpg

And No, those are not Maxxis tires!
    by Silentfoe

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    UPDATE:

30% Sag. Much better all around.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190409_121148.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	222.7 KB 
ID:	1246199
    Out of saddle climbing?

mtbr member
    Yes, all around better performing.
    by Silentfoe

mtbr member
    UPDATE:

Build details, please! Bike looks great.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Thanks for all the feedback. I'm very interested in this bike and like you I'm on the lighter side (135 lbs at 5'9") and coming from a HT I'm curious about how FS will feel. Do you think removing a volume spacer from the rear shock would help? I admit I don't know much about doing this or if its possible with this shock.

I think everyone is missing my point.

The bike climbs great - especially seated.

While standing, it still climbs well, but not like an Epic. It has a lot more suspension travel than I am used to. More than my Orange.

My problem is with the chatter, small bump compliance. It's harsh.

I spoke with the bike shop that I bought it from and they asked Orbea what the SAG should be. They replied 25%. If you are 150 lbs or less, then you can run more SAG.

I am heading out shortly and will try 30% because I'm right in the 150 pound range.

My rebound is set approximately in the middle.

If the bike is too harsh still, I will either buy the TR rear shock, or tranfer the shock from my Orange to this bike. Luckily they are both 190x40.

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the feedback. I'm very interested in this bike and like you I'm on the lighter side (135 lbs at 5'9") and coming from a HT I'm curious about how FS will feel. Do you think removing a volume spacer from the rear shock would help? I admit I don't know much about doing this or if its possible with this shock.
    Volume spacers are for the ending stroke to prevent bottom out if you are using all of your travel.

What do you want in a bike? If you want efficiency of a hardtail, you can't beat the Epic.

If you want a soft ride get the Santa Cruz Blur.

The OIZ is very much in between, but it handles incredible. This is the best maneuvering bike I've owned.

I've found that no bike is good at everything so you have to decide what you want and then search for that.
    by Silentfoe

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mnyquist View Post
    Build details, please! Bike looks great.

Size Large MYO
    Nox Skyline wheels with Project 321 hubs
    Darimo handlebars and seat post
    Xpedo pedals
    XX1 Dub crank
    XX1 - 11 speed cassette and shifter
    XO1 - rear deraileur
    XT brakes
    Stock Orbea FSA stem
    Massi Rader and Storm tires 2.25/ 2.20 (probably the only set in the US)
    Ebay carbon bottle holders
    KCNC Kasditor brake rotors
    by Silentfoe

mtbr member
    Size Large MYO
    Xpedo pedals
    XX1 Dub crank
    XO1 - rear deraileur
    XT brakes
    Stock Orbea FSA stem
    Looks great. Well done.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mnyquist View Post
    Looks great. Well done.

Thanks!!
    by Silentfoe

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Agree very much with your last point.

I am looking for something in between. Most of the trails near where I live are XCish and I don't want to be so overbiked that the trails lose their challenge (not that I think that would happen with the Blur, mind you).

I like the Epic except the propietary suspension and the hassle that involves. It's why I haven't also pursued the Cannondale Scalpel.

Volume spacers are for the ending stroke to prevent bottom out if you are using all of your travel.

What do you want in a bike? If you want efficiency of a hardtail, you can't beat the Epic.

If you want a soft ride get the Santa Cruz Blur.

The OIZ is very much in between, but it handles incredible. This is the best maneuvering bike I've owned.

I've found that no bike is good at everything so you have to decide what you want and then search for that.

mtbr member
    Agree very much with your last point.

I am looking for something in between. Most of the trails near where I live are XCish and I don't want to be so overbiked that the trails lose their challenge (not that I think that would happen with the Blur, mind you).

I like the Epic except the propietary suspension and the hassle that involves. It's why I haven't also pursued the Cannondale Scalpel.
    I've had 2 Epics and blew through 3 Brains. It was a nightmare.

Get the OIZ and maybe the TR version. From what I've read, the TR version is a stellar bike. Also, with the MyO, you can get whatever color you want.

I would have bought one, except I have an Orange Stage 4, so no need for 2 XC/Trail bikes. I love the Orange and will never sell it (except for a new Orange), but it is not a race bike.

Good luck with your purchase.
    by Silentfoe

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    UPDATE:

Nice looking build. And good to see that you are rocking the straight post. I keep swapping the dropper on and off my XC bike, for some reason I really enjoy riding an XC bike with a straight post. Well, at least until someone with a dropper puts me in the hurt locker on a descent.

mtbr member
    Nice looking build. And good to see that you are rocking the straight post. I keep swapping the dropper on and off my XC bike, for some reason I really enjoy riding an XC bike with a straight post. Well, at least until someone with a dropper puts me in the hurt locker on a descent.
    We don't have descents in SE Michigan. Dropper posts are just added weight around here.
    by Silentfoe

mtbr member
    Size Large MYO
    Xpedo pedals
    XX1 Dub crank
    XO1 - rear deraileur
    XT brakes
    Stock Orbea FSA stem
    Sub 20 lbs? I would think so with that build. Very nice.

I've been waffling on this bike, the Blur, and the Lux to replace my aging hardtail with a delaminating bb. I've also considered getting another hardtail because this is mostly a race bike for me and the courses are pretty low on tech. I just don't like "riding" a hardtail much anymore (racing I can deal with it). To confuse things further there are rumors floating around that ibis (my favorite brand) might be releasing something in this category...we'll see if anything comes out during Sea Otter.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bizango View Post
    Sub 20 lbs? I would think so with that build. Very nice.

I've been waffling on this bike, the Blur, and the Lux to replace my aging hardtail with a delaminating bb. I've also considered getting another hardtail because this is mostly a race bike for me and the courses are pretty low on tech. I just don't like "riding" a hardtail much anymore (racing I can deal with it). To confuse things further there are rumors floating around that ibis (my favorite brand) might be releasing something in this category...we'll see if anything comes out during Sea Otter.
    I don't think it's sub 20 lbs. My blur was 19.5 lbs with Duke wheels.

The Massi tires are also about 40-50 grams more each than the Rocket Rons. I also had to stop using foam grips due to thumb pain in my right hand. I still haven't resolved that issue.

For racing, I don't think you can beat an Epic, but the proprietary stuff I would have to stay away knowing what I know now.

I would not get the Blur. I was only 4 minutes faster on my Blur this past year at Iceman, than I was on my single speed and I was in much better shape. That bike was very comfortable, but I did not get along well with it when it was time to go fast.

I too thought about the Canyon Lux. But the more I looked at it, I couldn't get past the 70 degree head angle. Having switched to slacker bikes, they are just more stable. Even that 1 degree makes a big difference for me.

I did have a new Epic hardtail that I ran SS and that was a pretty comfortable bike and obviously fast and very light. The frame weighed 920 grams for a size large, and I think the bike was 16-17 pounds if I recall, but I don't have a picture of it. This might be a good route for racing if you don't "need" full suspension.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Oiz-20170616_115109.jpg  

by Silentfoe

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I have a 2018 Epic FS now as an XC race bike and I was thinking of going to something different like the Spark or Oiz.....

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Loving my new Orbea Oiz.....

Question: Any concern that the right side shifter is hitting the frame with the -12 degree / 90mm stem? I'm thinking that any kind of crash that twists the bars into the frame could result in some top tube damage.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by biffhamilton View Post

Question: Any concern that the right side shifter is hitting the frame with the -12 degree / 90mm stem? I'm thinking that any kind of crash that twists the bars into the frame could result in some top tube damage.
    Yes, it's possible.

I need to look at it more closely tonight. Right now, I have 2 spacers under the stem and the top tube slants down quite far. Hopefully it clears. We'll see.
    by Silentfoe

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Yes, it's possible.

I need to look at it more closely tonight. Right now, I have 2 spacers under the stem and the top tube slants down quite far. Hopefully it clears. We'll see.
    Let me know how you make out.

I'm running the two spacers as well. Stock bars, Sram shifter on a large frame.

mtbr member
    If I remember I'll post some pictures.
    by Silentfoe

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Just received my TR version today! Haven't taken it for a ride yet but I already know I need a shorter stem and wider bars with a slight rise. I feel like they could have given the cockpit a more trail spec along with the suspension and dropper. I did swap out the 125 dropper for a 160 Bike Yoke revive. Im 5'-10" with short inseam and still had another inch of room with the 160 on a size large frame.

It's 25.8lbs setup tubeless, with xt pedals and 160mm dropper. Everything else is stock...for now.

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007

As someone who slams stems and never has shifters clear I have found the trick is to leave the shifter loose enough that it will easily move when hit. 15 years and I have never damaged a top tube due to a crash.

mtbr member
    As someone who slams stems and never has shifters clear I have found the trick is to leave the shifter loose enough that it will easily move when hit. 15 years and I have never damaged a top tube due to a crash.
    That's a great idea.

I do love this stem and the riding position. But, I did do a quick test and it barely hits.

I'm afraid I couldn't leave my shifter loose "enough". I wouldn't know how to judge that. So, I did what any wimp does and ordered a new stem. Wren sports 70mm 6 degree.

One thing I have to point out is that I cannot get my seatpost to stay up. I've tried all torque settings - 5, 5.5, and 6 Nm. I've also applied 2 different compounds and have used sand paper to rough up my post. No luck.

As soon as that seat drops, the knee pain starts and I know it's down just enough and I can't think straight. So I ordered a new clamp. Hopefully it will solve the problem or I will have to move on to another post. Bummer!
    by Silentfoe

mtbr member
    Can anyone with a TR version post their shock tune (code) on here for reference?

Thanks,
    by Silentfoe

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Can anyone with a TR version post their shock tune (code) on here for reference?

Thanks,
    Mine is DM22

mtbr member
    Mine is DM22
    Interesting. A very different tune from the XC.

I think I'm going to swap over my Orange Stage 4 shock to my bike and see how it performs.
    by Silentfoe

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

I think I'm going to swap over my Orange Stage 4 shock to my bike and see how it performs.
    I raced the bike on Sunday and ran 190 psi in the shock and it performed great. I weight about 170 gear up.

That puts me at approx 20% sag I think. Anymore than that and the shock wallows to much for racing

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

I'm curious as to what your tune is?

mtbr member
    I raced the bike on Sunday and ran 190 psi in the shock and it performed great. I weight about 170 gear up.

That puts me at approx 20% sag I think. Anymore than that and the shock wallows to much for racing
    I'm sure it races great at 20% sag.

How does if feel all day in the saddle on constant hits from rocks and roots?
    by Silentfoe

mtbr member
    I'm curious as to what your tune is?
    For the OIZ or for the Orange?
    by Silentfoe

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Just OK....I'm thinking about sending it off to PUSH. I'm thinking it would work better with a bit more compression. That way I could back off the air pressure slightly.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by zerort View Post
    for the oiz or for the orange?
    oiz

mtbr member
    The OIZ is DP67:
    Rebound Reverse, Orbea, Oiz, 190, 40, 0.2 Spacer, DCL, DRM, CMF

The TR is DM22:
    Rebound Reverse, Orbea, Oiz, 190, 45, No Spacer, LCL, LRM, CMF

And my Orange is DGP8:
    190, 40, 0.4 Spacer, LCM, LRM, CMF

It's worth a try.
    by Silentfoe

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    Question for folks who have the Oiz - have you had any issues with the upper linkage coming loose or having too much play? I've read about this issue on the Intense forum with the Sniper. Is this an intense issue, or common with the vpp design?

I'm close to pulling the trigger on an M10-TR - rode it twice at a festival and loved it. Like the Sniper on paper, but having a heck of a time lining up a demo ride.

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007

It is interesting on how your local trails effect what your preferred set-up in. My local trails are made up of relatively smooth 10-15 minute climbs followed by descents where you absolutely smash your bike. My preffered set-up reflects this. I like my bike stiff for the climbs, and I need the suspension stiff for the descents. Whereas I suspect if I rode your trails I would prefer a softer set-up for constant rough low grade terrain.

Sneaker man
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtbkr26 View Post
    Question for folks who have the Oiz - have you had any issues with the upper linkage coming loose or having too much play? I've read about this issue on the Intense forum with the Sniper. Is this an intense issue, or common with the vpp design?

I'm close to pulling the trigger on an M10-TR - rode it twice at a festival and loved it. Like the Sniper on paper, but having a heck of a time lining up a demo ride.
    I believe the Sniper issue was on very early frames that they fixed pretty quickly, I think if you read the big long thread in the Intense section they discuss it.
    I like how the Oiz has 2 bottles over the Sniper, I like how the Sniper seems to not fall apart like the SB100, I wish you could order the Oiz with the 120 fork but the 100 shock.
    All the gear and no idea.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by mik_git View Post
    I believe the Sniper issue was on very early frames that they fixed pretty quickly, I think if you read the big long thread in the Intense section they discuss it.
    I like how the Oiz has 2 bottles over the Sniper, I like how the Sniper seems to not fall apart like the SB100, I wish you could order the Oiz with the 120 fork but the 100 shock.
    Re: the SB100 comparison, I like how the large M10-TRs are coming in around 25lbs with pedals and it costs $8k+ to get a 25lb SB100 spec. For how heavy that bike is you’d think it would be more durable.

On the Sniper front I was super close to buying one last year but couldn’t get the spec I wanted in time. Glad I waited now. I wasn’t too worried about the flex at the time, but really wanted the second bottle and there was quite a bit of discussion on the Sniper thread that the real world weights people were seeing were a pound or more higher than what Intense is advertising on their site. I still am very skeptical of their reported weights.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by tgarson View Post
    Re: the SB100 comparison, I like how the large M10-TRs are coming in around 25lbs with pedals and it costs $8k+ to get a 25lb SB100 spec. For how heavy that bike is you’d think it would be more durable.

On the Sniper front I was super close to buying one last year but couldn’t get the spec I wanted in time. Glad I waited now. I wasn’t too worried about the flex at the time, but really wanted the second bottle and there was quite a bit of discussion on the Sniper thread that the real world weights people were seeing were a pound or more higher than what Intense is advertising on their site. I still am very skeptical of their reported weights.
    My M10-TR is currently at 24.5 lbs. I did swap out the stock wheel set with some Lightbicycle carbon rims / DT240 hubs / xray spokes. Full carbon seat and light weight rotors

mtbr member
    Apr 2019

Trigger pulled

Seems like inventory on the Oiz is going fast, so I stopped by the LBS, made an offer on an in-stock bike, and now I'm a proud owner. The lifetime warranty and lack of responsiveness from Intense after 3 tries to line up a demo helped me take action.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Seems like inventory on the Oiz is going fast, so I stopped by the LBS, made an offer on an in-stock bike, and now I'm a proud owner. The lifetime warranty and lack of responsiveness from Intense after 3 tries to line up a demo helped me take action.

Thanks for the feedback guys.
    You won't be disappointed!

This is the best handling bike I have owned after coming from a Cannondale Scalpel.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Oiz-57348053_10218105872988751_29683163227750400_n.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2010

This is the best handling bike I have owned after coming from a Cannondale Scalpel.
    What year scalpel are you coming off of?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by codytaylor View Post
    What year scalpel are you coming off of?

I was going to go with a 2019 Scalpel....but was sick of doing bearing resets before every ride and wanted something different.

Now I'm seeing a bunch of problems with the new Ocho and I'm glad I went Orbea this time

mtbr member
    Sep 2010

I was going to go with a 2019 Scalpel....but was sick of doing bearing resets before every ride and wanted something different.

Now I'm seeing a bunch of problems with the new Ocho and I'm glad I went Orbea this time
    Ok I rode the newer model back to back along with my 2018 Epic and that Scalpel was the best cornering bike I've ever been on. Both have the same HT angle but drastically different fork offsets.

What's going wrong with the Ochos?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    There is a batch of them that are leaking.

I suggest you read some of Mendon's posts (Cannondale guro) in the Cannondale forum.

He has a lot of insight on what Cannondale has become. I just happen to agree with him...my opinion.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    New Oiz-img_8616.jpg

First ride on the books.

M-LTD TR
    Sram XX1 AXS
    Sram Twistloc Remote
    Crank Bros Highline 170mm post
    Enve 525 wheels
    Maxxis Minion/Aggressor (not final tire spec, just what we had laying around the shop)
    Stock seat, bar, stem, brakes

Removed volume spacers in fork for a bit less chatter. Thinking i'll dig into the rear shock and see what the volume spacer situation is in there.

25lbs with bottle cages

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Thanks! looking forward to the ride report on the Oiz and the Sram AXS!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8616.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	559.3 KB 
ID:	1247467

First ride on the books.

M-LTD TR
    Sram XX1 AXS
    Sram Twistloc Remote
    Crank Bros Highline 170mm post
    Enve 525 wheels
    Maxxis Minion/Aggressor (not final tire spec, just what we had laying around the shop)
    Stock seat, bar, stem, brakes

Removed volume spacers in fork for a bit less chatter. Thinking i'll dig into the rear shock and see what the volume spacer situation is in there.

25lbs with bottle cages

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Hey man, removing volume spacers don't do anything for chatter, really only decrease near end of stroke ramp up/progression. In fact, adding volume spacers and reducing pressure a touch may give you slightly better off the top performance. If you're really looking for better top of stroke compliance consider checking out the Luftkappe and if it'll work for that fork. Cheaper option is doing an air spring rebuild even when new, fox often has the the neg chamber crammed with grease and/or dry wiper seals from factory.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Hey, I did a test ride yesterday on a L and XL Oiz TRs and while looking at the pictures, I just realized the frame and shock mount are different between the two.

Here is the L: Fiberlink mounted on top tube boss, and it looks like the the bikes on the website.
    New Oiz-20190420_120604_2.jpg

Here is the XL: Fiberlink mounted on a separate boss from the top tube.
    New Oiz-img_20190420_152223_682.jpg

I'm not saying this matters other that aesthetics but just something I noticed.

Formerly of Kent
    ^^^Looks like they did that to maintain the suspension kinematics. If they put the link higher up, the seat stay would have to line up with it. Which would require a completely different rear triangle design.

Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    ^^^Looks like they did that to maintain the suspension kinematics. If they put the link higher up, the seat stay would have to line up with it. Which would require a completely different rear triangle design.
    I totally get it, just never seen it before. Heck, TBH, I didn't even notice it when I saw the bikes in person. It was only after when I saw the two pics side by side and thought it was interesting.

mtbr member

Funny, that's the same thoughts i had when i got mine.
    by Silentfoe

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12