New Occam- Mtbr.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Occam

mtbr member
    Nov 2016

New Occam

https://www.orbea.com/us-en/bicycles/mountain/occam

This looks like a great bike. I was considering an Oiz but this has me conflicted. The biggest concern is that it slots too closely to my Rallon. What does everyone else think about it?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Looks like a great bike and I think it fills a pretty different niche than the Oiz. Don't get carried away with the "TR" spec on the Oiz. The Oiz is an XC bike that you can ride trail on, but it's an XC bike first. You should choose the Oiz if you are going to be doing some XC and/or marathon racing and want something reasonably 'race-y' that can also pass as a trail bike as long as you aren't attempting to go full enduro-bro on it.

The Occam is a proper trail bike and while PB claims it starts at 26lbs (without pedals) and climbs well, I doubt you'd want to bring it to many XC races. You could of course, but I'm sure you'd be quite a bit slower. I'd get the Occam if I was looking for a trail bike first, still wanted something that climbs decent, but wasn't planning on racing it.

Pretty much everything above assumes I'm talking about the TR version of the Oiz since if you were considering an Occam instead I assume that was the Oiz model you were considering.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Looks awesome, can't wait to hear some real reviews.

mtbr member
    Oiz TR is not a trail bike at all. Compared to Canyon Neuron and Trek Fuel Ex which I rode 2 weeks ago Oiz TR is an XC rocket. The Neuron and Fuel Ex were actually feeling pretty similar to 29" enduro bikes I rode as well in root sections that weren't too bad, but Oiz would feel pretty bad there. (I own and ride Oiz TR for month and a half now)

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    I wouldn't call it a trail bike in comparison to today's trail bikes with 140+ mm of travel but a few short years ago trail bikes were in the 120-130 range. Before I got my Oiz TR I was riding a 2015 Salsa Horsthief which was advertised as their 'go-anywhere trail bike'. It had a 120mm shock and 130mm fork.

After getting my Oiz my first thought was that it feels harsher and less capable on some of the more rugged descents than my Horsthief but my segment times don't back that up. I've been setting non-stop PRs since I got my Oiz. I expected them on the climbs but I'm surprised that I'm descending faster too.

Big caveat there is I didn't have a dropper on my Horsthief which would be unheard of for a trail bike today and probably accounts for most of the speed differential vs the Oiz TR. On the other hand, I had much beefier 2.4" tires on my trail bike and I feel a big difference between those and the stock 2.2" currently on the Oiz. I think swapping to a set of beefier 2.4" tires would make the Oiz feel a lot more trail-capable.

mtbr member
    Bike looks to be a fantastic trail bike. Seems they carried over a lot of the Rallon design in pivot execution, hardware etc., and implemented some new stuff as well....the strut is interesting. Methinks a Rallon with F/R coil & "Enduro" spec would compliment a trail build Occam very very well for bigger mile or less aggressive riding. I want to try one stat!
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I have a like new 2018 Ocaam TR M10. I don't dislike it but should have purchased an Oiz after coming from a hard tail. Anyone for a trade?

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post
    Bike looks to be a fantastic trail bike. Seems they carried over a lot of the Rallon design in pivot execution, hardware etc., and implemented some new stuff as well....the strut is interesting. Methinks a Rallon with F/R coil & "Enduro" spec would compliment a trail build Occam very very well for bigger mile or less aggressive riding. I want to try one stat!
    I've seen rumor of a 170mm link update for the Rallon. I don't know if I buy that though. It could provide the more progressive rear I have from a very reliable source but that same source also mentioned making the front a bit longer. If it were confirmed it removes my overlap and I order an Occam today. Currently on a dual coil Rallon.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by bikenut316 View Post
    I have a like new 2018 Ocaam TR M10. I don't dislike it but should have purchased an Oiz after coming from a hard tail. Anyone for a trade?
    That's going to be a tough one due to the night and day difference of the three, 2019, 2018 Occam and Oiz, but maybe you get lucky?

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    This is the coolest bike out right now, ticks sooo many of the boxes most folks want, including myself. Overfork this w/a 160mm Fox 36 (or sim) and you can absolutely rip up an enduro track, it's geometry is right in line with many enduro bikes out there. Stick with a 140 fox 34 (or sim) and some light wheels/tires and you got general trail ripper.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    This will be my next bike, pretty sure now. Carbon or alloy version is open. I don't really care about the materials and I want a frame that is a little forgiving. Until now I couldn't find any information about the alloy frame. It seems only the carbon version was available at the press release. Just infos about the weight penalty would be enough.

Hisforever
    So there have been some reviews, all have been positive.

What is the standover? its not listed on the website, why would they leave that part out???

Also, didnt remember if the leverage ratio changed? is the new occam more progressive like i think it is? Seriously thinking of selling my new rallon just to sample this new rig

Ibis Ripmo -wifes
    Scout
    Saturn St
    G1
    Yz 250x - no ebikes

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by SHAHEEB View Post
    What is the standover? its not listed on the website, why would they leave that part out???

Also, didnt remember if the leverage ratio changed? is the new occam more progressive like i think it is? Seriously thinking of selling my new rallon just to sample this new rig
    This article here talks about how the suspension ratios changed.
    https://www.pinkbike.com/news/first-...ccam-2020.html

Orbea left it out of the Geo charts (weird) but lists standover as 736mm, no mention of what size that is...

Hisforever
    i'm really surprised more peeps are not jumping all over these bikes.

Ibis Ripmo -wifes
    Scout
    Saturn St
    G1
    Yz 250x - no ebikes

mtbr member
    May 2012
    It looks like they are, delivery has moved out from early September upon launch to December now!

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Yep the delivery date is too far away. The wait is worse than with the car industry lol

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Just to report back,I just finished my first ride on the Oiz TR this weekend. I was an idiot and raced the Oz Trails Epic 30 Mile (Epic Rides) race on it as a shake down ride.i don't know that I would have finished on my Rallon, way I have it set up drives that mainiy, and would have been slower on an Occam. If I had not had a few new bike mechanical things, stem bolts and topcap bolts vibrating loose (seem to do it on every new bike I ride in the first few miles) I would have been in the top third and less than an hour off the overall, not too bad for an Endurobro in my opinion. The bike jumps like a dream and was remarkably composed through rocks at speed for what it is. The only negative I experienced was ability to brake, mainly due to tire selection but grip vs rolling resistance is always a trade off.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    Got my new Occam M-LTD this week, was promised Oct delivery end of July, got it on time. I upgraded from the last model Occam TR, which I liked but the new version is killer. Better shocks GRIP2/DPX2, XTR, goes downhill better and climbs a LOT better. Feels more capable in the techy stuff and nimbler at the same time.
    Size wise I was hesitating between the M and L (I'm 5'10''), got the L and it's a good fit with the upright climbing position, was worried about the longer reach but it's spot on.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Occam-img_1094.jpg  

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Glad to see this post. I'm about to order mine!

Do you happen to know the weight?

I'm shorter than you, at 5'8, so figure on a medium with 50mm stem. How do you find the reach with your large?

I'm a bit nervous coming off my Mojo 3 that the pedaling efficiency\firm feel won't be the same with the Orbea design. Any feedback?

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    It's supposed to be 11.8kg but haven't weighed it, it's super good on the climbs, not far off my PR's with my XC rig w SPDs vs the Occam with flats on long climbs. It definitely feels very agile for 150/140mm suspension bike. The longer wheelbase also helps on the downhills. Still have to get used to the GRIP2 fork, feels good but there's some new dialling to learn... Huge difference with the DPX2 shock, super smooth.
    Reach feels just right despite being on the shorter end of the recommended length for large. Think you'll be ok with medium, I had a medium Occam TR and it felt a little cramped, this feels just right. New models are a little longer in both reach & wheelbase. You definitely notice the better climbing ability with the steeper seat tube. Pedal efficiency is great even in full open mode on the shock & you can dial it back with the 3 way switch.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Thanks for the info!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Interesting as I was thinking the Occam TR would climb better than this new Occam. I was torn between the two but if you think the new Occam climbs better I will go with it. I am 5'11.5" and between a L and Xl but think an XL would be too big.....reach looks good but EEF top tube looks short on the L.

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    The new Occam is definitely a better climber, as well as descender. The geometry is different, think they nailed it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Great, I just ordered the H20 Eagle. Hopefully get it this weekend to test it out. Been doing some big rides on my Ibis HD4 and while a great descender I am looking for something to take out on the longer rides. Thank you for the feedback!

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by JoLod View Post
    Got my new Occam M-LTD this week, was promised Oct delivery end of July, got it on time. I upgraded from the last model Occam TR, which I liked but the new version is killer. Better shocks GRIP2/DPX2, XTR, goes downhill better and climbs a LOT better. Feels more capable in the techy stuff and nimbler at the same time.
    Size wise I was hesitating between the M and L (I'm 5'10''), got the L and it's a good fit with the upright climbing position, was worried about the longer reach but it's spot on.
    Thanks for the info. Can you check tire clearance? Is there a chance to fit 29x2.6 tires? I have 2018 Rallon and I would like some less agressive bike, so I am looking into Occam. Have you maybe tried Rallon? I have not seen any comparisons between the two.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    I'm 5'-9.5" with 31.5-32" inseam. I'm also hesitating between M and L. With a 150mm dropper, seatpost will need to be pushed all the way down on a L. I was curious to hear your feedback on this and also if you were able to test a Medium?

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    What type of BB does 2020 Occam have? Can't find it listed anywhere on their website.

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by C&L 1911 View Post
    What type of BB does 2020 Occam have? Can't find it listed anywhere on their website.
    I saw one video where the reviewer said itís threaded.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Yes, mine has a threaded BB.

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by markopic View Post
    Thanks for the info. Can you check tire clearance? Is there a chance to fit 29x2.6 tires? I have 2018 Rallon and I would like some less agressive bike, so I am looking into Occam. Have you maybe tried Rallon? I have not seen any comparisons between the two.
    I think it works, it comes with High Roller II 2.5 front and Rekon 2.4 rear, there is some more room.
    I haven't ridden the Rallon myself but I rode with the guides at Basque MTB last month, they were all on Rallon's but were getting the new Occam's as well, they had done a ton of testing as they do the guiding for the press for Orbea's launch events.

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by bajakbow View Post
    I'm 5'-9.5" with 31.5-32" inseam. I'm also hesitating between M and L. With a 150mm dropper, seatpost will need to be pushed all the way down on a L. I was curious to hear your feedback on this and also if you were able to test a Medium?
    I had exactly the same problem as you, no chance to test the new M as I ordered in July. I have the same measures and was hesitating between L and M.
    The reach on my old Occam H10 M was too short uphill so went with the new L, it was the right decision. Now it feels just right both up and down. The seatpost is pushed almost but not all the way down.

The seat tube angle is quite steep so you feel on top of the bike without overextending, reach looks long on paper but doesn't feel that way. Definitely an improvement uphill and also downhill with the slacker geo & longer wheelbase.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Any real world weights yet? I still think the the claimed weights seem over optimistic.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by markopic View Post
    It was only a parking lot test of the Occam but here's my take. It was a playful bike. I could throw it around and boost off of things with it better than my Rallon (probably due to the fact my Rallon is built to be a tank and is significantly heavier). The handling felt familiar. My biggest hang up, no pun intended, is that it has the same issue as the old linkage Rallon with hanging up on square edges. To me the shorter travel just exacerbated that issue. That said the Occam's linkage appears to be similar to the Rallon's so that hanging up piece is riding style dependant and can be hidden when the shock is set up correctly, which for a parking lot test it absolutely was not.

With an Oiz TR and a soon to be 170/160 Rallon there really isn't a place in my collection for the Occam so I just gave it a spin out of curiosity.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    I had exactly the same problem as you, no chance to test the new M as I ordered in July. I have the same measures and was hesitating between L and M.
    The reach on my old Occam H10 M was too short uphill so went with the new L, it was the right decision. Now it feels just right both up and down. The seatpost is pushed almost but not all the way down.

The seat tube angle is quite steep so you feel on top of the bike without overextending, reach looks long on paper but doesn't feel that way. Definitely an improvement uphill and also downhill with the slacker geo & longer wheelbase.
    Thanks for the feedback! I'm also concerned about standover height. I tried a L Stumpjumper. On paper, Stumpjumper standover height at 762 and Occam at 766, basically the same. It was borderline. How did you find it on the Occam?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Just received my H20 Eagle Friday. My scale read 33.6 LBS with tubes all stock. Early report is that this is a pretty capable bike. My first 29er but my daily driver is an Ibis HD4 and it doesn't loose much to it so far.
    Thing of note is that I ordered the black but it is a dark midnight blue....be warned lol.

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    Thanks for the feedback! I'm also concerned about standover height. I tried a L Stumpjumper. On paper, Stumpjumper standover height at 762 and Occam at 766, basically the same. It was borderline. How did you find it on the Occam?
    The new Occam L has more standover height than my old Occam M... No concern for me, 31.5'' inseam

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by tuckerjt07 View Post
    My biggest hang up, no pun intended, is that it has the same issue as the old linkage Rallon with hanging up on square edges. To me the shorter travel just exacerbated that issue. That said the Occam's linkage appears to be similar to the Rallon's so that hanging up piece is riding style dependant and can be hidden when the shock is set up correctly, which for a parking lot test it absolutely was not.

With an Oiz TR and a soon to be 170/160 Rallon there really isn't a place in my collection for the Occam so I just gave it a spin out of curiosity.
    I am in the similar situation, having Oiz M10TR and 2018 Rallon (without new linkage). I was considering Occam as less aggressive version of the Rallon, but for me Rallon works great so I can not justify getting an new Occam. I am still considering new linkage. On the other side, Oiz TR (with 120mm) is such a great bike.

Many thanks once again,

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by meSSican View Post
    Just received my H20 Eagle Friday. My scale read 33.6 LBS with tubes all stock. Early report is that this is a pretty capable bike. My first 29er but my daily driver is an Ibis HD4 and it doesn't loose much to it so far.
    Thing of note is that I ordered the black but it is a dark midnight blue....be warned lol.
    I've read somewhere that the aluminium version was 13.5 kg or 29.2 pounds, I can't find it out where, so far, but I will. Anyway it seems pretty heavy... How does it rides, especially on long climbs and few hours of pedalling?
    I have to choose between Trek fuel ex 8 or 9.7 2019 and the new occam H2. I just don't want an enduro bike since I've to climb every summit I want to descent...
    Any advice and comparisons of these 2 bikes?
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by ollyc View Post
    I've read somewhere that the aluminium version was 13.5 kg or 29.2 pounds, I can't find it out where, so far, but I will. Anyway it seems pretty heavy... How does it rides, especially on long climbs and few hours of pedalling?
    I have to choose between Trek fuel ex 8 or 9.7 2019 and the new occam H2. I just don't want an enduro bike since I've to climb every summit I want to descent...
    Any advice and comparisons of these 2 bikes?
    Thanks!
    Let me know if you're able to find mid travel ALU bikes under 30LBS.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I did weigh the front wheel without tire or rotor and it came in at 1113 grams. I am expecting to loose probably over a 1lb with a sub 2000 gram wheel set (have stock Mach1 Max wheels). I think you could get this thing around 30lbs if you wanted to but aside from wheels I think its fine.
    Ride wise, I haven't taken it on any big rides yet but will this weekend. I will say that it does climb better than my HD4. It also feels really poppy and rides much lighter than my HD4 of the same weight. It is really fast and found it scary at times as I wasn't used to it. I think as a 1 bike option it would be great. I'm happy with mine just wish i went for the SLX 12 speed version to try it out...but the NX eagle is nice also, doesn't feel any different than my GX on the HD4.

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    Thanks for your impression, are precious for me. Where I am I don't have any chance to demo nor see any bike, therefore internet is the only place where I get to know.
    Please keep us posted about you further impressions

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Surprised this hasnít been posted yet....

https://www.bebikes.com/the-hub/orbe...st-ride-review

I ordered one locally today
    MyO m10 with a 36
    Putting my wheels on it and done!
    Currently on v4 ripley and this definitely sounds like what Iím looking for
    Considered ripmo and sb130 but iím Taking a shot at the occam
    Iím 5.9 with 32 and am going large with 40mm stem
    Gonna see if I can squeeze a 160 one up dropper in there (think theyíre the shortest right?)

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    The video has good follow up comments re: bike comparos
    Iím sure everyoneís cross shopping hightowers ripmos 130ís etc
    Iím currently on v4 ripley and really like the pedaling and climbing
    A sportier ripmo sounds right up my alley

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by velez3000 View Post
    Surprised this hasnít been posted yet....

I ordered one locally today
    MyO m10 with a 36
    Putting my wheels on it and done!
    Currently on v4 ripley and this definitely sounds like what Iím looking for
    Considered ripmo and sb130 but iím Taking a shot at the occam
    Iím 5.9 with 32 and am going large with 40mm stem
    Gonna see if I can squeeze a 160 one up dropper in there (think theyíre the shortest right?)
    I'm 5'11.5" and have a 150mm dropper pulled out about 1.5" from full insertion and I have a 31" inseam.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Nice
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    I'm 5'11.5" and have a 150mm dropper pulled out about 1.5" from full insertion and I have a 31" inseam.
    Is it with the OC2 dropper? The maximum insertion point to lower cradle (207mm) seems to be higher on this dropper type than others...

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Is it with the OC2 dropper? The maximum insertion point to lower cradle (207mm) seems to be higher on this dropper type than others...
    Yes, it is the stock dropper on size Large.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Just noticed that the Bebikes written review listed the weight of their XL Occam at just under 28 pounds. The article didn't say if that was with pedals. Probably not. So it would appear Orbea's claims are fairly accurate.
    Orderd my MYO a few weeks back. Now just gotta wait!

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Deleted.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Photo of the dark blue color would be appreciated!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    For anyone fluent in metric measurements, I'm 183 cm and have a seat height of 78 cm including saddle. I just got an XL M30 with dpx2, 36 and minion upgrade. 170 mm dropper is slammed giving me a perfect seat height. Weighed it to 14.8 kg with cb mallet dh.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    14.8 kg, this sounds really heavy for me for the M30. If your scale is right this is a really disappointing point.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Can't really speak to the accuracy of my scales, regular cheap luggage scales. Funny thing is that the remedy 8 it replaced (with various major upgrades mind you) was 14.6 kg on the same scales, but the occam feels significantly lighter. I weighed it before I rode it and was really disappointed, until I rode it and it still felt miles lighter and faster to climb than the remedy. Now the weight doesn't really bother me other than the knowledge, so I will be putting a lighter wheelset on next year and probably carbon cranks..

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    In a german forum I heard ~13,3 kg for the M30 with carbon handlebar und lighter wheelset, but with standard tires (even they should effect only ~200g on the scale).

Anyway, can you share you experience with the Occam, strenght and weaks? How does it perform compared with the Remedy, especially in the descent? I guess you have the standrad color, right, but can you share some pictures? I am not sure if I already saw on XL carbon frame.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I was pretty disappointed with the weight of my h20 at almost 34 lbs (and the color being blue and not black). But it does feel a lot lighter on the trails. Willing to pop off rocks and jumps pretty nicely. Taking mine up for a long hard ride in Lake Tahoe on Monday. Will report back. So far though i have been beating my standard times on trails I am very familiar with.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    My first impression of the bike was Holy SH!T this bike climbs. Without pushing I put a PB on a 3 minute tarmac road climb section I have to the trail head on the first ride I did on the bike, with both dampers completely open where on the Remedy I would always lock the shock and firm up the fork. Same tires but smaller size on the Remedy, and lighter wheels as well. I haven't had time to put more than a few rides on the Occam yet due to a having a small surgery a couple of weeks ago, but I'm getting back on the bike this weekend.
    Descending it feels at least as capable as the Remedy, it changes lines with ease and is real easy to play around and "trail jib" with on small features. I found it a little harder to pop off larger rocks and roots, the rear wheel likes to track the ground more, but that may be down to me not having the suspension dialled yet and not being used to 29" wheels (this is my first 29er and I had only ever test ridden one once before getting it). I have the larger volume spacer installed in the shock and I'm pretty close to spot on the pressure recommendation in the manual.

That's about all I can say really as I've only ridden it a couple of times and not in the last 2,5 weeks, but I can try and update again after the rides this weekend where I'm hitting a little bit rowdier stuff.

The OEM handlebar feels really good, and the oem 170 mm dropper is really nice. No word on durability yet, obviously, but the lever is really nice and the action is smooth and good. Pleasantly surprised, would pick it over my old Reverb any day of the week (and I wasn't particularly unhappy with that post, it worked ok).

The colours are amazing imo. I was a little worried from the pictures I've seen that the blue wouldn't be nice, but it really is. I think the proportions of the bike looks a lot better in person than on the pictures, I personally find the top tube shape/kink on the XL bikes pretty ugly in pictures but it doesn't bother me at all in the flesh.
    Quality seems really good, but I will warn anyone that the internal cable routing is a bit fiddly, I found myself missing the control freak routing from TREK. A proper tool (like the Parktool IR-1) is definately recommended.

New Occam-20191019_102318-1-.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Thanks for the picture and your impression. For sure the kink is much stronger as on the L or M frame but it does not look so bad in the picture.

If you have ride it more times an update would be nice. I think about the same pick but nearly not possible to get a proper test ride, at least not before the winter. And doing this in spring time you need luck for the dlivery time, at least here in Germany.

By the way, the frame color is matt but the top tune is shining. Do you use a glossy protection foil?
    On the picture the space between the chain and frame seems to be very small. Do you have a ratlle of the chain or the internal cable?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Yeah no worries, I'll post an update during the weekend.

I honestly went by reviews, price, spec and geometry. No test ride, ordered it blind.. Was more than a little stressed, really glad things turned out well

Yeah correct, the orange is gloss and the blue is matte and I've put glossy protection tape on the top tube and some other places (seat and chain stays, down tube and back of seat tube).

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    New Occam-img_20191106_135700.jpg
    New Occam-img_20191105_162232.jpg
    "Black" h20 aluminum frame.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    So of course one of my daughters caught a fever last night, so I could only manage to sneak off for a short 1,5 hour ride this morning. I didn't get to push it as I had intended, but I had some time to reflect on the differences between the Remedy and the Occam.

On the Remedy, I have always had to run a fairly high pressure, 20-25% sag, to not bottom out every ride. I always liked the way the Remedy descended, quite playful but still able to handle the chunk. I've ridden it on EWS trails, World Cup DH tracks and never felt that I couldn't get down it. I have, however, felt the speed limit of the bike on some of those trails, where it gets overwhelmed and gets bounced around. On the Occam, that limit feels like it is further away. It's not that I feel I can hit stuff with it that I couldn't on the Remedy, but it feels like i can hit it faster. A set of 1-1,5 meter rock drops on the ride i did today has always felt a little skittish and exciting on the Remedy, but on the Occam I went through it and felt "Oh, ok. I could probably hit that a lot faster now."

The big disclaimer to all of this is that I went from a Large Remedy 27.5" with a Pike up front and a standard damper to a XL Occam 29" with a 36 and a DPX2, so how much of what I feel is simply the added stability of a stiffer chassis, better damping, longer reach and bigger wheels and what is actually the capability of specifically the Occam compared to other similar bikes is difficult to tell. But this is at least my thoughts on it compared to the Remedy I had.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    So... I'm not really in the market for one of these (yet), but are there mounts for a bash guard on the new Occam?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by bjeast View Post
    So... I'm not really in the market for one of these (yet), but are there mounts for a bash guard on the new Occam?
    No iscg tabs. I'm planning to get either a bb mount bash or a bb mount iscg adapter.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Ah okay. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Nov 2019
    Hi Everyone!
    Just received my brand new Occam 2 weeks ago and I wanted to share my xp. I owned a Occam AM M10 27.5" (2016) previously and before buying this spanish brand, I was a big fan (and a owner) of C'dale bikes (F900 97, Jekyll 2000 SL 2000, Rush 2000 2006 and Trigger Carbon 2 2013, all 26").
    Clearly, this brand did not make me dream before riding their bikes (it was for me a B-brand, with no particular philosophy and know how for MTBs).
    As said, I owned the former Occam before (27,5"), it was my 1st xp with the brand, and I was very satisfied with. Very good bike for climbing, very nervous. But on the other hand, not that impressive/good in descents (but not bad humh), though 140/140 front/rear. Probably too rigid, not smooth enough and not helped by the small 27.5" wheels. But a great bike overall, with a great equipment (full XT and full Fox Factory).
    I've already ridden with the New Occam 2020 3 times the last 10 days and I'm very very impressed by the bike when descending. It's very stable - and nimble as well. It's so easy and fun to ride with such a bike . For climbing, it looks good too but I can't be so affirmative yet (been injured w/o riding for the last 10 weeks and this is my 1st 29er). FYI, I own the M10 model w/ Fox 36 and Minion options. I live in France (near Lyon) and my typical track is 30 kms w/ 700 D+/-. I am 1.84M tall with 88cm inseam. After having hesitated, I've finally ordered a Large size. And it's for me the right size!
    https://www.casimages.com/i/19110805394469785.jpg.html

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Hey guys I'm 6'4" 205 lbs and the XL actually fit me. I have difficulty finding bikes that fit. For example: Ibis bikes feel too small for me (demoed XL Ripley and Ripmo). I was ready to pull the trigger on a new Tallboy V4 or Yeti SB130 until I rode the Occam. I was really blown away with how well it pedaled. I switched back and forth between the Occam and Tallboy and the Occam climbed just as good with way more travel. I'm torn between the 2 bikes but the Occam is more forgiving on technical rough trails. It was super quick but plush. I will be completing a 2 day demo before buying in the next month. The Occam seams like the perfect all round bike especially for older guys with sport injuries like myself.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    So took the Occam out on a pretty hard ride (for me). 19 total miles at around 9000ft elevation with a around 11 mile climb and 8 mile DH. Last time I rode this loop was on my HD4 which was my main bike for a while. The Occam obviously climbed better so that was no surprise. The downhill on this trail had several steep very techy rock features at the top then gets fast and flowy. On the techy sections the Occam felt a bit overwhelmed compared to the HD4 which ate these sections. On the fast flowy sections the Occam felt great and was easy to throw around and wanted to pop off all the rocks although felt a bit slower than the HD4. When at high speed and a bit choppy the Occam again felt a lot more sporty than the HD4 which gobbles this stuff up.
    I like to run my suspension on the softer side and was a bit surprised with the Occam's slight difficulty on the steep tech and fast chatter.
    My everyday trails roll with ups and downs scattered with rocks. Also some fast with chunk and some drops. The Occam is amazing on this type of terrain. It eats up small chunk and handles jumps/drops very well. When things get to the black or double black diamond I will be bringing the HD4...which is ok with me as I really love the HD4.
    Still walking away saying the Occam is an amazing bike but for me I want to keep a bigger bike as well.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Has anyone been able to compare the ally and carbon frames? Any idea on pure difference in frame weight. Seems like an all mountain alloy build with a lighter wheelset, 150mm 36 and DPX2 could be a rippin' do it all bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    The blinged out carbon build Pinkbike tested was listed at 28.1lbs in size large. My alloy H20 large came in at 34.5lbs stock. I swapped to lighter wheels, carbon bars, new stem, a bit lighter tires and now it sits at 32.8lbs. thinking if you had a lighter seatpost, cassette, and cranks you could come under close to 31lbs. Even at the 34 lbs it didn't feel heavy. It is a great bike for trail/aggressive trail riding.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Hi is there anyone try the coil shock for new occam? I'm thinking about putting cane creek IL coil...Not sure if it even fits..

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    How does this bike compare to an Ibis Ripmo or Ripley? Also, what is Orbea's support like? I live in NorCal. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Think itís somewhere in between a Ripley and Ripmo. Several reviews have put climbing on par with the Ripmo, but descending is not quite as stable. More like a long-legged trail bike (even with 150mm fork) rather than an all mountain bike like the Ripmo. That being said I still havenít ridden one to confirm.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffgicklhorn View Post
    Think itís somewhere in between a Ripley and Ripmo. Several reviews have put climbing on par with the Ripmo, but descending is not quite as stable. More like a long-legged trail bike (even with 150mm fork) rather than an all mountain bike like the Ripmo. That being said I still havenít ridden one to confirm.
    I finally demo'd it the other day. I really liked the stability and overall balance of the bike. It climbed relatively well.

My one and only bike is the V1 Ibis Ripley and I feel that my Ripley still is able to climb better and seems to pedal easier.

I would consider the Occam, if the price is right. What impresses me the most about it is how balanced it is. It's a great do all bike.

I wonder what the reliability is like on Orbea bikes. Any issues with Linkage, frames, etc.??

Thanks

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    2020 H20 Occam is my second Orbea, previously had a 2015 Rallon X Team I purchased used from a bike shop. On my Rallon the rear chain stay cracked at the weld and Orbea replaced it with a used one as it was really hard to find but they worked hard to get me one (other option was a whole new frame). After about 2 months of riding my Occam's upper shock bolt snapped. It has been over 3 weeks working with where I bought it as Orbea will only go through dealer. Still not resolved and pretty disappointed that it is taking this long to get a simple bolt.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by norbyd View Post
    I finally demo'd it the other day. I really liked the stability and overall balance of the bike. It climbed relatively well.

My one and only bike is the V1 Ibis Ripley and I feel that my Ripley still is able to climb better and seems to pedal easier.

I would consider the Occam, if the price is right. What impresses me the most about it is how balanced it is. It's a great do all bike.

I wonder what the reliability is like on Orbea bikes. Any issues with Linkage, frames, etc.??

Thanks
    The support and warranty are great from Orbea. It's a very old company. The carbon is also made in Spain in house rather than outsourced.

I think wheelset and tires contribute a lot to how any bike will handle and feel. Lighter wheels and tires will make it fly out of the corners and up the hills. Wider rims and 2.5 tires will give it the stability on the descents and through the technical stuff.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Hi,
    has anybody ordered the upgraded wheelset on the H30?
    I would like to know if the M1900 rear wheel comes with Micro Spline and a 10-51 cassette in this case.

Support didn't help much and just answered "cassette is not changeable"

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Yeah, I was initially skeptical of Orbea because my only experience was seeing their road bikes and the occasional racer boy on a hardtail.

Then I did my research.

It turns out Orbea was a larger company than the companies making the 2-3 other bikes I was considering - combined.

Big company, lots of expertise. The fact that they are in Spain was not an issue for me (love the Basque people!) because it really comes down to having a good dealer in your town that you work directly with.
    Austin Mountain Biking and worldwide travel pictures:

http://www.austinbike.com

NedwannaB
    Any movement with your part(s) replacement?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    Any movement with your part(s) replacement?
    I did reach out to bike shop where I bought the bike from to get some more info and was told the part was on it's way from Spain as of last week. Hope it comes in soon as I am already looking for a replacement lol.

NedwannaB
    I did reach out to bike shop where I bought the bike from to get some more info and was told the part was on it's way from Spain as of last week. Hope it comes in soon as I am already looking for a replacement lol.
    Replacement as in different bolts, bike or bike shop?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    Replacement as in different bolts, bike or bike shop?
    The replacement shock bolt that snapped is on its way. Replacement as in different bike....it's hard looking at a bike that sits that long lol.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by BornBad View Post
    Hi,
    has anybody ordered the upgraded wheelset on the H30?
    I would like to know if the M1900 rear wheel comes with Micro Spline and a 10-51 cassette in this case.

Support didn't help much and just answered "cassette is not changeable"
    Support couldn't tell me what the wheelset upgrade for the M30 actually meant or weighed either! Don't bother looking as the DT Swiss XM-1650 does not exist outside of planet Orbea. I then tried DT Swiss, who did not reply.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    From what I've read (link) and what my Orbea LBS told me, the XM-1650 is based on the XM-1501 wheelset but with 350 hubs in place of the 240 hubs (or the other way of looking at it is based on the M-1700 wheels but with XM481 rims in place of M502 rims).

If you read reviews of the 350 hubs they're the same internals as the 240 hubs but with a less machined (ie heavier) shell. Which means you do get the star ratchet freehub with the XM-1650 rather than the 3 pawl freehub on the base M-1900. Which in turn means you can upgrade the star ratchet to give faster engagement which isn't possible with the M-1900. The Occam M10 I demoed had the XM-1650 and they rode very nicely although the engagement was slow. If I buy my own Occam (which I'm planning on doing) I'll get the XM-1650s and immediately upgrade the ratchet to the 54T version.

Next a quick bit of maths based on published DT Swiss wheel, hub and rim weights would give a guess of ~1850g for the XM-1650 wheelset vs 1775g for the XM-1501, 1945g for the M-1700 and 2030g for the M-1900.

Now what I'm curious to know is what the weight difference is between the carbon and alloy frames???
    Last edited by CaptainDecisive; 02-20-2020 at 02:19 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainDecisive View Post
    The XM-1650 is based on the XM-1501 wheelset but with 350 hubs in place of the 240 hubs (or the other way of looking at it is based on the M-1700 wheels but with XM481 rims in place of M502 rims).

If you read reviews of the 350 hubs they're the same internals as the 240 hubs but with a less machined (ie heavier) shell. Which means you do get the star ratchet freehub with the XM-1650 rather than the 3 pawl freehub on the base M-1900. Which in turn means you can upgrade the star ratchet to give faster engagement which isn't possible with the M-1900. I'll get the XM-1650s and immediately upgrade the ratchet to the 54T version.

Next a quick bit of maths based on published DT Swiss wheel, hub and rim weights would give a guess of ~1850g for the XM-1650 wheelset vs 1775g for the XM-1501, 1945g for the X-1700 and 2030g for the M-1900.
    That's very helpful! Maybe you should work for Orbea Thanks!

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    2020 H20 Occam is my second Orbea, previously had a 2015 Rallon X Team I purchased used from a bike shop. On my Rallon the rear chain stay cracked at the weld and Orbea replaced it with a used one as it was really hard to find but they worked hard to get me one (other option was a whole new frame). After about 2 months of riding my Occam's upper shock bolt snapped. It has been over 3 weeks working with where I bought it as Orbea will only go through dealer. Still not resolved and pretty disappointed that it is taking this long to get a simple bolt.
    Could you attach a pic of the broken bolt?
    Next week I'm going to buy the new Occam and I want to show it to the local shop and get a spare bolt. Since I live quite far away from the lbs, in case this happens, I don't want to leave the bike in the garage for months.
    Also, any damage occurred to the frame?

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    New Occam-occam.jpg

Just got it!
    Orbea blue and (canary?) yellow.
    M10 with Xtr brakes - my first ever XTR components! Rest is basically a stock M10. All XT with 170mm cranks and a 50mm stem.

Really like how the colours turned out. Was a bit nervous that the blue would be too light but with the matte finish I think it looks good.

Of course, it snowed heavily the day I brought it home. So was only able to ride it in the parking garage. Steep seat tube noticeable right away. My first 29er in almost a decade - they've definitely come a long way.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    My first review but here is my thoughts on the 2020 Occam H20.

https://www.straightlinemtb.com/post...20-orbea-occam

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Bolt snapped right at start of threads. My replacement came from Spain so it took a bit. I don't think it will be an issue for most but I was around 230lbs and have pretty bad luck with stuff so you probably will be fine. Orbea does sell that part on their site.

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    Bolt snapped right at start of threads. My replacement came from Spain so it took a bit. I don't think it will be an issue for most but I was around 230lbs and have pretty bad luck with stuff so you probably will be fine. Orbea does sell that part on their site.
    Thanks, also for your review.
    I'll definitely buy this bike very soon, just still evaluating if it's worth to buy the no-need-to-upgrade package offered by M10 or get the M30 with some or full upgrades. Would be worth it having factory suspensions? If yes, it might be better go straight to M10 for little more bucks

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    My only real complaint on the M10 (2019) that I bought is the wheel set is cheap. The DT Swiss hubs are 370's which have a 3-pawl design. Can't be (cheaply) upgraded to the 54-tooth system that they have on the 240 and 350 hubs. Having moved from 18 to 54 on my old 240's was excellent, would like to have that kind of upgrade on my wheels.

If I were buying again I'd be thinking about going with a higher level, but I love mine and have few complaints.
    Austin Mountain Biking and worldwide travel pictures:

http://www.austinbike.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2020
    My first review but here is my thoughts on the 2020 Occam H20.

https://www.straightlinemtb.com/post...20-orbea-occam
    Nice review. I'm waiting on mine to show up from across the pond...expecting it to arrive later this month.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I would say it depends on your budget and how hard of a rider you are. I am more on the aggressive side and my weight being over 200lbs factors in as well. Looking at the two builds (M30 and M10) you get better suspension components and wheels with M10 which are the biggest pluses. Again, your style, trails, and budget should dictate your decision that and is it worth an extra $1500. I am more of spend less now and upgrade to items I am partial to later. I found not much issue with the Fox 34 fork even at my weight and riding style but I am not super picky with my suspension. My enduro bike has a $1k MRP Ribbon on it and I have been faster on the Occam than I was on that. Having the better hubs on the M10 vs M30 is also a factor but I have had the cheaper M1900 series wheels and the higher end M1700 and mangled both rims equally. Star ratchet hubs are nice but I had no issue with the 370 hubs of the cheaper model either.

The Occam is my second bike which is why I went with the H series alu build. Going back I would have went with the lower model H30 and Shimano drive train as well. Any way you go the Occam is a great trail bike and I am sure you will love it, especially in the carbon version.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Weather starting to clear where I live so have been able to get the Occam out for a few pavement\light trail rides now, shakedown rides.

First impressions compared to my Ibis Mojo 3.

Even though the Occam looks like a significantly bigger bike ... it handles almost as quick. I don't feel any floppiness or weird traits (my last FS 29er was a Specialized circa 2011 ... and it was not a pleasant experience, haha).

The Occam spins up quick. Definitely a firm ride. The Mojo\DW-link maybe felt a bit more like it pushed forward when standing up and stomping on the pedals. The Occam does get up to speed quickly, which surprised me a bit figuring the bigger wheels would take a bit more to time to get spinning.

I don't know my exact measurements, other than I'm around 175cms, so approximately 5'8. The medium with a 50mm stem feels about right. The reach hasn't been an adjustment at all, so I can see why some reviewers and posters have suggested sizing up if you're after something longer. The standover is fairly tight for me, so have to watch hopping off the pedals and stradding the top tube!

The steep seat tube was really noticeable at first. A few rides in, mostly on flat terrain, and I'm starting to not notice as much. I do think there's a bit more weight on my hands than before, but assume that will even out once I sort my body position and put on more miles.

The bike itself looks great. The custom MIYO paint was worth the wait time, for sure.

Too early to gauge components. I haven't weighed it but would guess close to 29 pounds with pedals.

Overall, happy with my purchase. I wasn't able to test ride and took a leap of faith, going on reviews and posts, all of which were pretty accurate.

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    @meSSican. Budget is around the M10, I can recover the vat for export, than the difference between the 2 is around 1000$. Also with the idea, opposite than yours, that the more I spend, less I'll spend because every upgrade will replace a part already paid that no way I'll sell where I live now, and also i can mostly upgrade only when I go back home for holidays. Therefore I was looking at the "final" bike. Anyway if I go for the M30 I'll get straightaway brakes and wheels upgrade. Performances suspension would more than fine for me, only though is the Kashima stanchions are much more long-lasting against corrosion? Here air is very humid and with sea salt.
    Anyway, with all the shit happening now, I postponed again the travel and the new bike must wait...

mtbr member
    Some questions before I online order a 2020 Occam H30 as no LBS's seem to stock these in NorCal. I am 5'8.5" with 30.5" inseam so will probably go medium as the reach is pretty long and stand over/ dropper height has been an issue for me. Sound right? How long is the dropper on the Medium? Is the fork reduce offset or normal 51deg? What hubs are on the H30? How are the dropper, brakes and wheels in general on the H30? Thanks.
    2015 Giant Trance 3
    X-Fusion Sweep RL2 160mm fork
    Straitline Defacto pedals
    Renthal Fatbar with TV 40mm stem
    Ergon Grips

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Most or all of the online reviews and bikes pictured in this thread appear to be with the 150 mm Fox Factory 36 fork. Who is using the 140? Factory or Performance? Has anyone had the opportunity to try this bike with both 140 and 150mm forks? How much better if any is the Factory 140 compared to the performance? Trying to determine if upgrading is worth it.
    Majority of riding is Colorado front range trail riding.
    Thanks.

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by bentconvert View Post
    Most or all of the online reviews and bikes pictured in this thread appear to be with the 150 mm Fox Factory 36 fork. Who is using the 140? Factory or Performance? Has anyone had the opportunity to try this bike with both 140 and 150mm forks? How much better if any is the Factory 140 compared to the performance? Trying to determine if upgrading is worth it.
    Majority of riding is Colorado front range trail riding.
    Thanks.
    Subscribed

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I'm 5'.9, 32" inseam
    coming off large sb100 and ripley
    sat on large, ordered large with 36
    was supposed to ship today.....guessing corona might have something to say about that
    Paid half down 10/31/19, will prob have to wait until summer at this rate...no sense stressing about stuff I can't control.

mtbr member
    Someone would try the idea of mounting 210x55 rear shock? It must be 154mm travel, think(know) that rear tire touches to seat post at the position rear shock full compressed?

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by noose View Post
    Some questions before I online order a 2020 Occam H30 as no LBS's seem to stock these in NorCal. I am 5'8.5" with 30.5" inseam so will probably go medium as the reach is pretty long and stand over/ dropper height has been an issue for me. Sound right? How long is the dropper on the Medium? Is the fork reduce offset or normal 51deg? What hubs are on the H30? How are the dropper, brakes and wheels in general on the H30? Thanks.
    I'm looking to buy an Occam, either H10 or M30. I test rode a large M10 which is the demo bike the LBS has. I'm not really your size sorry but as a data point for the thread I'm 1.88m (6'2") tall with 91.5cm (36") inseam and the large felt good for the demo. However I also sat on an XL in the LBS that was a new bike not for demo, and the XL is what I'd purchase.

Fork offset is 44mm as listed in the geometry specs and product sheet on the Orbea website.

The stock wheels on the H30 I'm pretty sure have Shimano Centerlock hubs. There's an H20 at the LBS with the same wheels that I could go check if you're curious what model they are. The wheels look pretty good and I suspect will do the job fine. Are there lighter / stronger / wider / faster engaging wheels out there? Absolutely. But those definitely all cost more money.
    So what about the online upgrade to the DT Swiss M1900? They should be a bit lighter, DT Swiss M502 rims on the M1900 are 570g vs 660g on the Mach1 Maxx. Looks like the Mach1 rims are 25mm so the 30mm rims on the M1900 is an upgrade. The M1900 might be a bit higher quality as DT Swiss is good stuff. M1900 has a three pawl hub with 15į engagement, while the Shimano rear hub might be 11į. So have a think about whether it's worth the upgrade to the M1900?

The stock dropper post is very good. It has a nice smooth action and a decent lever, so I'd stick with that and ride it until it dies.

Shimano MT201 stock brakes on the H30 are a weak point and not very powerful. They're better for someone who mainly pootles round town and occasionally rides a rail trail. It might be worth the online upgrade to the MT501 as they're a much nicer brake (Deore level) although you still get single piston calipers and also resin only RT54 rotors. MT501 is an excellent MTB brake although for an aggressive/fat rider they might not be enough of an upgrade? In that case you might be better to keep the stock MT201 brakes and upgrade the whole lot when you get it / have more funds. Alternatively a good upgrade would be get the MT501s then buy new SLX/XT rotors and metallic pads. Either way ditch the MT201s.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Dupe
    Last edited by CaptainDecisive; 03-19-2020 at 06:01 AM. Reason: DUPE

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Dupe
    Last edited by CaptainDecisive; 03-19-2020 at 06:01 AM. Reason: DUPE

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Arrived Early!

So got lucky and my bike made it a little early. Not sure if MyO stuff is still shipping on the regs from Spain but BIG BIG thanks to our Iberian friends and to sixes pit shop in Canton, GA for getting me on this STAT... They took the glamour shots.....2 rides in and I can tell this a special bike. Stoked with the custom color...

I'm 5'9Ē 160 lbs 32" inseam
    Large M10 Occam, all metallic dark green with metallic gold logos
    40mm stem, one 10 mm spacer under stem
    Fox 36 upgrade and I moved wheels over from current bike...Nobl TR36 30mm inner rim laced to I9 Hydras. DHR 2.6 front, Dissector 2.4 rear
    Changed the bar to the One Up tapered and the grips to my trust ODI Elite Pro. I love newer Geo and this combo really helps with hand pressure from steeper SA and stiffer 35mm bars

My last 3 trail-bikes have been in order TB3, SB100, Ripley V4 and now Occam, I don't race XC anymore and have found newer suspension is so good that the extra beef does't hurt....more to come but this thing is like cheating....be careful not to just look at reach....this is a shorter TT. My saddle is right in the middle and the post up/XC/Climbing position feels great...could not see me on the medium though
    I did put in the larger spacer in the DPX2 right of the bat...went with factory recommendation on settings and felt great for baseline
    Only other change I'm thinking of right now is switching the OC2 dropper for a one up. One up gives you 170 drop from only 4mm more total dropper length.
    Holy crap, stoked....Hope all you stay healthy and can self isolate in the woods.

Full M10 size Large
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Occam-img_2084.jpeg  

New Occam-img_2085.jpeg  

New Occam-img_2086.jpeg  

New Occam-img_2087.jpeg  

New Occam-img_2088.jpeg  

New Occam-img_2089.jpeg  

Last edited by velez3000; 03-23-2020 at 07:01 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Nice color. I'm looking at the M10 with Fox 36 and carbon wheel upgrade. Can you tell me the weight? How does it compare to your Ripley V4.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Thanks! Loved the Ripley V4 and sold it to one of my best friends...I wanted a Ripley on steroids and instead of Hightower, ripmo etc. wanted to try something different. It's my first Orbea....fit and finish is amazing and fortunately they have a great local shop carrying them.
    Rode with my buddy on his (my old) Ripley V4 this weekend and he was like "yeah" the extra travel ain't holding you back at all!"
    there's an extra 2 lbs in there somewhere...the ripley was XTR, 34 and DPS
    this is XT, 36 and dpx2
    you do feel the weight a little but that's it...the climbing is bananas and the downs are just more fun than the ripley....as fun and do everything as the Ripley is, I think this takes it to 11 without going full Enduro...my 2cents...best 29er trailbike I've tried.....
    the suspension feels very Infinity/DW esque pedals great while maintaining small bump climbs well in or out of saddle and opens up and TCOB nicely on the chunky hi speed gnar and drops. One more point, pretty easy suspension to tune......it has a really nice platform built in that makes it feel very playful and poppy....itís right at 30lb 1oz with XT 8120 pedals, cage and bell
    I think the DT carbon wheels are a good 200g less than my Noblís and Iím running DHR 2.6 and dissector 2.4 you could loose weight there as well but I think youíll prob be running Something similar if youíre going 36. The review at BE is pretty spot on...

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Thanks that helps very much. My local shop has a large Occam M-LTD which I rode around on the street. It felt lighter than the SC TB4. I weighed it back at the shop 28.5 lbs with pedals. It felt snappy and responsive. I liked it better than my Ripmo which I sold. The new XT is half a pound heavier than the new XTR so I figured with the wheel upgrade it would be around 29 pounds. I hate heavy bikes unless I'm riding bike parks where you don't have to pedal up.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by dustyman View Post
    Nice color.
    +1 nicely done

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Yeah the DT carbon wheels and a Next SL crank would drop a full lb from my build
    I think you could get it below 29lbs no prob
    Bike rides really light.......

NedwannaB
    Anyone have a comparison with these to a '19/'20 GT Sensor?

I got nothin'
    I opted to stick with the 140mm, 34mm fork. I only have one ride on the bike so far, and I am digging the 140/34. I rode it on trails ranging from smooth ST to rocky DH, drops, etc. It seems to be plenty stiff and is pretty plush compared to my previous rig. That said, I'm coming off riding 120mm/32mm forks for the last several years and the Occam is my first Trail bike, so your YMMV.
    I ride at ludicrous speed

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Thanks for your post and congrats on the new bike! I am currently on a 120/32 fork and based on your description I think the 140/34 should suit my needs fine.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    That green Occam is amazing!

Wanted a Myo myself but couldn't handle the 8 week wait and opted for the stock Anthracite livery. No regrets at all, love the paint job. I am 1.87 and on a XL, size feels perfect. Upgraded to the 150mm 36 and DPX2. I swapped most parts from my Santa Cruz.

So far really happy with the setup, bike feels light and nimble ( 13,4 kg / 29,5 lbs including pedals , Turbine cranks, carbon wheels ). Really easy to jump and very balanced in the air.

One complaint is the Orbea dropper. Although operation is good, there is quite some play in the dropper post itself.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Occam-img_7846-1-.jpeg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Nice looking Occam @Schoorl
    I've been playing around switched up the front to a dissector 2.4 and put an I9 A35 32mm stem
    Also, put in the larger .4 spacer in the DPX2 can.....
    feeling dialed....almost done and will post back up....
    great bike, jelling more every ride.....

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Rubber help please! I need help face planted twice today with the maxis fast rolling tire. What is the largest tire I can put on my rims itís a 2020 occam m30 really need your help and recommendations! I am 216 pounds 6 feet tall! Thank you!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2020
    What tires are you running? Pretty sure 2.6 is the widest you can go.
    I'm running 2.5 minion DHF front and 2.4 Minion DHR rear. It's a good combo for me so far.

mtbr member
    Feb 2020
    My only "complaint" about my new Occam so far is that the rear freehub is too quiet! I'm missing my loudish one from my tallboy.

I have the M10 which has some DT Swiss hubs, but I don't know which ones as it isn't printed on there anywhere. I understand it is a custom hub built for Orbea.
    Anyone know if a different freehub can be swapped onto it?

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I don't think the 1650 wheelset hub can be upgraded. it's a 370 hub I believe which can't take the star ratchet upgrade
    @gidva, lot's of stuff can go into faceplants (I'm sure you know!) but if you want a no holds barred I don't give a F how it rolls grip that rips your face off then go with a 2.6 Assegai. not my cup of tea but the earth will bow to your front tire

mtbr member
    May 2014

New Occam

Quote Originally Posted by LeadFarmer View Post
    I have the M10 which has some DT Swiss hubs, but I don't know which ones as it isn't printed on there anywhere. I understand it is a custom hub built for Orbea.
    Anyone know if a different freehub can be swapped onto it?
    Quote Originally Posted by velez3000 View Post
    I don't think the 1650 wheelset hub can be upgraded. it's a 370 hub I believe which can't take the star ratchet upgrade
    Itís a 350 hub. I swapped in the 54t before I did a single ride

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    there you go! Stoked to have a 350 in there, great hub. 1650 wheelset seems pretty nice knowing that

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I changed my tires tubeless to 2.50 assegai in front and dhf in the rear tried the bike today and itís just as grippy as my ex8. Thank you

mtbr member
    Feb 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by cykelk View Post
    Itís a 350 hub. I swapped in the 54t before I did a single ride
    Do you have a link handy for the 54t?

mtbr member
    Would someone try to remove the rear shock, move the rear end +2.5mm more and see if the rear tire hits the seat tube? Thanks.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Do you have a link handy for the 54t?
    The DT part number is HWTXXX00NSK54S, available from the usual spots.

mtbr member
    Beem a while since I have been on these boards. Just received a new M10 - anyone else not have paint in this area? seems like some of the blue/orange builds are raw carbon here.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Occam-img_20200430_183703.jpg  

If you Google "Judy Butter" to reminisce on the good ole days, do NOT click on images...

mtbr member
    Feb 2020
    The DT part number is HWTXXX00NSK54S, available from the usual spots.
    Thanks for that. I ended up ordering it a few days ago after reading up on it some (kinda new to the star ratchet).
    The slow engagement is very noticeable on the default 18t, so I can't wait for that 54t to come in.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Thanks for that. I ended up ordering it a few days ago after reading up on it some (kinda new to the star ratchet).
    The slow engagement is very noticeable on the default 18t, so I can't wait for that 54t to come in.
    For sure! Makes a huge difference.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Yup mine is same on grey model. Almost like seat clamp Is too short. Maybe its to stop paint peeling off underneath seat clamp.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Does Orbea routinely run markdowns? I saw an occam review vid that had them marked down.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    What bash guard can I use for the occam gents?

Taoofwater
    Jun 2020
    In case you haven't seen them, Jeff Kendall Weed, did a couple good review videos on the Occam. He tears it up and jumps around like crazy on the bike. His videos with the bike (9 or so) helped me make up my mind. I just ordered an M10 and looking forward to riding it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8av86gBVBtE&t=368s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPOaafN9HZk

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I have a m10 and I think itís great. Not only have I beaten my times downhill but beaten uphill times. I have a sb100 currently and the occam is quicker whilst being 5 lbs heavier and with minion tyres. I canít put my finger on why but think itís the seat angle as I feel less pressure and strain on legs/knees riding the occam.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by taoofwater View Post
    In case you haven't seen them, Jeff Kendall Weed, did a couple good review videos on the Occam...
    I love my M10 w/ Fox 36 as well. I've found his take on the bike to be pretty spot on, although I wouldn't refer to it as "short" travel, hah!

The one issue I have is the rear shock on rougher descents. I swapped in the 0.4 volume reducer and still do find that I bottom out often, though the bike stays well composed. I'll probably keep stepping up reducer size and/or get the shock custom tuned at service time. If your riding involves black / double black descending with drops, worth getting a reducer kit in preparation.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I love my M10 w/ Fox 36 as well. I've found his take on the bike to be pretty spot on, although I wouldn't refer to it as "short" travel, hah!

The one issue I have is the rear shock on rougher descents. I swapped in the 0.4 volume reducer and still do find that I bottom out often, though the bike stays well composed. I'll probably keep stepping up reducer size and/or get the shock custom tuned at service time. If your riding involves black / double black descending with drops, worth getting a reducer kit in preparation.
    When you are bottoming out is the o ring at the end of the shock? I have the 0.6 spacer installed and running 30% sag with the orbea tool but still have around 15mm at end of shaft when riding rough stuff. I'm still trying to figure it out but same happens with the 0.4. I had the 0.2 first of all but for my weight I couldn't get enough air in for the correct sag.
    Also compressed shock every 50 psi to set the shock up as per fox instructions. I've done a lot of fiddling to check shock settings but its still tricky.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Robby1 View Post
    When you are bottoming out is the o ring at the end of the shock? I have the 0.6 spacer installed and running 30% sag with the orbea tool but still have around 15mm at end of shaft when riding rough stuff. I'm still trying to figure it out but same happens with the 0.4. I had the 0.2 first of all but for my weight I couldn't get enough air in for the correct sag.
    Also compressed shock every 50 psi to set the shock up as per fox instructions. I've done a lot of fiddling to check shock settings but its still tricky.
    You sure about the 15mm number? Mine has ~7mm left at bottom-out, just below the "Genuine" marking. I verified with a set of calipers that this is 50mm of stroke as expected.

How's the overall feel with the 0.6 reducer?

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    You sure about the 15mm number? Mine has ~7mm left at bottom-out, just below the "Genuine" marking. I verified with a set of calipers that this is 50mm of stroke as expected.

How's the overall feel with the 0.6 reducer?
    My bottom out is higher than yours, as you can see it ramps up earlier. The 0.6 and 0.4 I would say feel the same but I can just run lower pressure as at 210lbs / 95kg, I was putting close to 330 psi to get 30% sag on 0.4 spacer. 0.2 was unrideable for me.
    I have ridden some drop offs and rough tracks but cant seem to get full travel showing on the o-ring. I have been using the orbea sag tool as well.
    Maybe there is something I am missing with regards to set up? or the tune of shock isn't great for heavier riders.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Occam-image0.jpeg  

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Not sure what you'd be missing, but it does seem suspicious that you have to go so far beyond the OEM recommendation to get the right sag. I guess one thing you haven't mentioned explicitly: are you setting sag with the compression damping wide open (3-pos lever and 10-click open-mode adjust)? If you release air from the can (slowly, cycling the shock same as when you fill it) can you compress it further than you're seeing there?

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    So I let some air out and it will go down to where youíre o ring is but then sag is probably 45%. Might try letting all air out and pumping it up again cycling shock every 50 psi. Apart from that settings are open so if that doesnít work Iím stuck.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Re did the shock with 0.4 spacer and cycled shock through whilst pumping. 30% sag and it goes further down after a 3ft drop to where yours is. Maybe I didnít cycle it through enough last time as Iíve heard they can be tricky shocks sometimes. Only thing now is whether I need to go back to 0.6 as 3ft isnít very big.

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Re did the shock with 0.4 spacer and cycled shock through whilst pumping. 30% sag and it goes further down after a 3ft drop to where yours is. Maybe I didnít cycle it through enough last time as Iíve heard they can be tricky shocks sometimes. Only thing now is whether I need to go back to 0.6 as 3ft isnít very big.
    For someone your size I would suggest adding some more compression. With the air pressure you run plus a bigger volume spacer is asking the rebound to absorb a lot of energy. Adding some more compression will increase bottom out resistance but probably allow a lot more consistent performance.

If you know that you are going to be taking a bit of a break in your riding you might even want to send the shock in to get a custom tune to match your weight. Or alternatively sell that shock and put an X2 on (if they fit). Those X2s for big guys are amazing.
    "The best pace is suicide pace, and today is a good day to die." Steve Prefontaine

mtbr member
    May 2014
    The DPX2 doesn't have much in the way of satisfying compression damping adjustment from what I can tell so far. I second that if you're willing to spend the extra money ($200-$300), just get a custom tune done. I had Avalanche do my Monarch on the previous bike and it was night and day, which is why I figure I'll do this one too when it's time to service it. I've read great things about DirtLabs as well, and that they turn things pretty quickly.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Pretty good read on X2 vs DPX2:
    https://service.dirtlabs.com/fox-dpx2-vs-float-x2/

tl;dr is custom valved DPX2 for riders over 180lbs.

Taoofwater
    Jun 2020
    Still waiting on my Occam, so wasting time looking at more reviews of the bike. Hereís a new one from Bikers Edge. More posi feedback on the bike and about the affordable model H20. Most reviews on the bike have been about M10 or M30 so itís nice to see how the affordable option checks out, for all the ppl in that price range.

https://www.bebikes.com/the-hub/3000...rbea-occam-h20

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    Hi gents, anyone of you considered coil option?

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Hi all,
    new to Orbea, i'm thinking about buying a 2020 Occam, instead a Trek Fuel ex 2020.

Some questions about Occam:
    - As i read in a review, is it true that when riding, it comes a continuos rattle sound from the bottle cage against the frame?
    - With a Dpx2 shock(that give less space to bottle), in a Large size frame, what is the largest bottle that can fit with an appropriate side load cage? will the bigger 26 oz/0.77L fit, or should i use the smallest 22oz/0.5L ?
    - Regarding the frame color in the Graphite/Grey/Black: is it true that the Grey Graphite effect is more "effective" on the Carbon frame, and the aluminium frame is a sort of "flatter" dark grey with a bluish tint?
    - In the rear will a 2.5/2.6 fit? Let's say for example a Maxxis rekon 2.6, that is 64mm wide(so it's more like a 2.5)
    - From the frame pictures it seems that the maximum insertion of the dropper should be not an issue.. is it confirmed that both alu and carbon frame allow a deep insertion of the dropper post? The goal is to have the dropper collar as low as possibile with my actual 180mm oneup dropper.

Thanks a lot
    Maybe the next days i will go to an Orbea store and give a look if there are some Occam available.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    i have a 2020 occam M10
    absolutely no rattle for me with a lezyne bottle cage - 800ml on and there is again room !
    i have 2.4 DHR2 rear and there is 14mm empty room between tire and frame
    for the dropper , the max seatpost insertion : S(213mm) M(240mm) L(280mm) XL(280mm)

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by sheev View Post
    i have a 2020 occam M10
    absolutely no rattle for me with a lezyne bottle cage - 800ml on and there is again room !
    i have 2.4 DHR2 rear and there is 14mm empty room between tire and frame
    for the dropper , the max seatpost insertion : S(213mm) M(240mm) L(280mm) XL(280mm)
    Thanks for your info.. I see from photos that the dpx2 with his reservoir seems to take away a little space for the bottle. As you have an M10, are you able to use a 800ml bottle with the dpx2 shok?

Ok for tires and ok for the insertion.. (seems that both my dropper and my rear tire will fit fine)

From what i have read here it really seems that the black/anthracite/grafite version is really different from aluminium than Carbon...
    The color that i like is this in the attached pictures... maybe the anthracite color in aluminium frame is different or the same?

New Occam-dsc_3263.jpg

New Occam-2020-orbea-occam-contender-bicycles-1.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by zambo78 View Post
    From what i have read here it really seems that the black/anthracite/grafite version is really different from aluminium than Carbon...
    The color that i like is this in the attached pictures... maybe the anthracite color in aluminium frame is different or the same?
    Yeah the metallic black color for the aluminium frame seemed a lot darker to me than the anthracite carbon frame color. I demoed an anthracite carbon Occam and the LBS also has black aluminium models in stock. The carbon frame is grey while the aluminium frame is definitely black. The anthracite is quite nice but I personally don't like black bikes so would have bought the orange color if I got an aluminium frame; although I ended up ordering a blue and orange M30 instead.
    So if you like the anthracite color then you'll want to go with the carbon frame.

Here's a couple of pictures of the metallic black aluminium Occam at the LBS. If you compare the headtube in the second pic to the crown on the Fox forks you can see that the frame has a very slight blue tint to it.

New Occam-img_0693.jpg

New Occam-img_0694.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I'm trying to decide between a H10 and an M30. Does anyone know the weight difference (large)?

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by rstark18 View Post
    I'm trying to decide between a H10 and an M30. Does anyone know the weight difference (large)?
    I'm also interested in what weight an M30 (shimano version) with stock configuration.

I'm really in love with this bike... it will maybe replace a Trek fuel ex 8 2017... I think it could be a great "upgrade"

thanks.

3 on the tree
    A review of the M30 on Jenson says the bike w/tubes and no pedals is 29.8 lbs. for size L.
    Smog builds character.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Steamthief View Post
    A review of the M30 on Jenson says the bike w/tubes and no pedals is 29.8 lbs. for size L.
    Know of anyone that has weighed the H10?

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    M10 in XL with 36s. Not quite stock but changed a couple of items to lighten it up and it weighs 31lbs with minions.
    M30 youíll probably be looking at 30 to 32 I think for a large depending on tyre and fork options.
    Can fit a large water bottle in mine and I use a Specialized zee cage so can access left side which was better for putting a large bottle in with piggy back shock.

Taoofwater
    Jun 2020
    I'm not sure how accurate Jenson's estimation is, but they say a medium H10 weighs about 32lbs and the medium M30 weighs about 30lbs. So about a 2 lbs difference between carbon and alum. I'm curious how much my M10 will be. I'll weigh it once I get it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Thanks for your info.. I see from photos that the dpx2 with his reservoir seems to take away a little space for the bottle. As you have an M10, are you able to use a 800ml bottle with the dpx2 shok?
    yep DPX2 with M carbon frame i put a 800ml on my bottle cage no problem !
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Occam-img_20200607_124035.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    my M10 and wife's M30 2020 occam
    M10 M with FOX36 DHF/DHR and EX471/XM481 DT240s wheels : 13,5kg
    M30 S stock : 13,35KG
    weight with bottle cage and w/o pedals
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Occam-img_20200514_133009.jpg  

JRuss1524
    Apr 2020
    Hey guys help me out here!
    I just sold my Tallboy 4 and am going to pick up an occam. I cannot try the bike before purchasing and I am 5í8Ē with a 31Ē inseam. Would you go for a medium or a large? I talked to two different shops and the both suggest the frame size that they had in stock. I heard the run a touch small, and I like the idea of a large with a 35mm stem. But then I look at the seat post and standover heights and it makes me a bit nervous going for a large.

3 on the tree
    I'd head over to those shops ASAP and at least do a parking lot demo ride on both sizes. It's simply too important of a decision to make based solely on internet recommendations!
    Smog builds character.

JRuss1524
    Apr 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by Steamthief View Post
    I'd head over to those shops ASAP and at least do a parking lot demo ride on both sizes. It's simply too important of a decision to make based solely on internet recommendations!
    Unfortunately one shop is 4 hours north, and one is 3 south. There are none available anywhere near me.
    It makes it very difficult! Haha

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Hi all,
    new to Orbea, i'm thinking about buying a 2020 Occam, instead a Trek Fuel ex 2020.

- As i read in a review, is it true that when riding, it comes a continuos rattle sound from the bottle cage against the frame?
    - With a Dpx2 shock(that give less space to bottle), in a Large size frame, what is the largest bottle that can fit with an appropriate side load cage? will the bigger 26 oz/0.77L fit, or should i use the smallest 22oz/0.5L ?
    - Regarding the frame color in the Graphite/Grey/Black: is it true that the Grey Graphite effect is more "effective" on the Carbon frame, and the aluminium frame is a sort of "flatter" dark grey with a bluish tint?
    - In the rear will a 2.5/2.6 fit? Let's say for example a Maxxis rekon 2.6, that is 64mm wide(so it's more like a 2.5)
    - From the frame pictures it seems that the maximum insertion of the dropper should be not an issue.. is it confirmed that both alu and carbon frame allow a deep insertion of the dropper post? The goal is to have the dropper collar as low as possibile with my actual 180mm oneup dropper.

Thanks a lot
    Maybe the next days i will go to an Orbea store and give a look if there are some Occam available.
    The aluminum frame looks black but in the sunlight it's more of a dark metallic glittery blue color. Not a bad color. Just don't buy it thinking it's only grey or black.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Jruss1524 View Post
    I just sold my Tallboy 4 and am going to pick up an occam. I cannot try the bike before purchasing and I am 5í8Ē with a 31Ē inseam. Would you go for a medium or a large? I talked to two different shops and the both suggest the frame size that they had in stock. I heard the run a touch small, and I like the idea of a large with a 35mm stem. But then I look at the seat post and standover heights and it makes me a bit nervous going for a large.
    Iím 6í with 33Ē inseam and on the large. I have the 170mm OC dropper inserted all the way, if that helps. Iíd say go medium, but Iíve also found that frames which ďrun smallĒ work well for me.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Ordered a myo today. Went full pure red. Canít wait to see it in the flesh. Leads me to my next question how Accurate was tHe lead times from Orbea for those of you who myoíd?

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Iím 6í with 33Ē inseam and on the large. I have the 170mm OC dropper inserted all the way, if that helps. Iíd say go medium, but Iíve also found that frames which ďrun smallĒ work well for me.
    same here.. I used to run a high end shop and fitted hundreds of people on bikes.. I would agree on going with a medium at 5'8" with a 31" inseam.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHammheaddude View Post
    same here.. I used to run a high end shop and fitted hundreds of people on bikes.. I would agree on going with a medium at 5'8" with a 31" inseam.
    I'm 178cm (approx 5'10) and have an inseam of 84cm (approx 33 inch)
    i have an Ape index almost near zero....(arm span is 178,5cm)
    Actually on a 18.5(M/L) trek fuel ex, i feel a little cramped when off the saddle..

maybe i will buy an Occam, i'm going straight to the L size without try it as there are no stock.. should the L fit correctly?
    Maybe i will change the 55mm original stem to a 50 or 45mm?

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    When looking at size you have to decide what you want the bike for.

A larger bike is going to be more stable. The longer bike, higher front end, and short stem is going to create a bike that holds its line and is comfortable at speed. Whereas a shorter bike is going to be a bit easier to toss around.

The way to think about it is on smaller bikes it is easier to get them to do stuff but sometimes they do stuff when you don't want them too.

I sit right on the small/medium divide. I have ordered a small because I am looking to build my Occam up closer to XC side than the Enduro side. I will run a 140mm 34 with a 50-70mm stem. Whereas if I was trying to make it a mini-enduro bike I would gone with a medium with a 150mm 36.
    "The best pace is suicide pace, and today is a good day to die." Steve Prefontaine

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Jruss1524 - We have similar measurements.

I bought mine blind and went with a medium based more on standover than anything else. I know that's not really proper but I didn't want to worry about crotch knocking every time I ride (it's my only bike and gets a lot of pavement use).

If you like a longer reach then I'd suggest a large. I run a 50mm stem and if anything if ended up feeling a bit shorter in reach than the numbers suggested.

Also, as a shorter rider, coming back to a 29er after a decade away ... the bike does feel big-ish to toss around already. I assume a large would just amplify this for me.

SF Trailboy - mine was more or less spot on. But I ordered in October last year and got it in early March before things got a bit complicated...

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Anyone want to start an Occam Pics Thread?
    I have a Giant Trance right now (looking at replacing it with an Occam) and in the Giant forum there is a huge Trance Pics thread. It's nice to see all the pics of a specific model.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Farmpunk View Post

I bought mine blind and went with a medium based more on standover than anything else. I know that's not really proper but I didn't want to worry about crotch knocking every time I ride (it's my only bike and gets a lot of pavement use).

If you like a longer reach then I'd suggest a large. I run a 50mm stem and if anything if ended up feeling a bit shorter in reach than the numbers suggested.

Also, as a shorter rider, coming back to a 29er after a decade away ... the bike does feel big-ish to toss around already. I assume a large would just amplify this for me.

SF Trailboy - mine was more or less spot on. But I ordered in October last year and got it in early March before things got a bit complicated...
    Thanks. Itís currently saying about 4 weeks. Not sure if that includes shipping from Spain to Australia but even if itís 8 Iíll live with that.

As for sizing the bike I demoed was a medium and Iím 6ft, it was small obviously but it definitely was workable. I think with modern geo, bike fits arenít so much about what fits but what do you tweak to make it ride like you want, if you are inbetween sizes.

I was really impressed with the efficiency of the Occam and as many reviews have said itís actually a trail bike. Not an overworked xc rig or a muted enduro sled.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Hi all,
    I've just reserved an H30 but won't get it for a 6 weeks or so. I'm limited to the H30 as I'm buying it through a UK work/gov 'cycle2work' scheme that basically makes it half price but (for my work is limited to £2000).

I'm not a weight-weenie (being a bit of a carthorse myself) but am looking at ways to improve the ride including shedding bike weight.

I think the first improvement will be brakes, more for performance than weight but I'll change the MT-201s it come with to XT (normal (not 4 pot) as I can then share brake pads with my other (SLX) bike).

Then I'll look at wheels and therefore probably cassette. This will be my first bike in the '1x' and 'boost' era and I gather freehub have changed so I may need a little help here. If I want to use a lighter cassette, am I right that I have to move to either a SRAM 'XD' or a Shimano 'Microspline' freehub? Can I still use either with the existing SLX rear mech and chain? Any advantage to one over the other assuming I'm keeping Shimano mech, chain and shifters?

Next I'll probably look at the crankset but only if there a decent weight saving to be had. Anyone know the weight of the Orbea OC1 crankset? It looks like the H30 is the only model they use it on so I suspect it's not light?

On the other hand they're using their own brand bars and stem on all the Alu and one of the Carbon bikes so I guess they're reasonable weight. I'll stick with them and only change them if I need to for fit.

I do have a 150mm Rockshox Gold 35 fork in the shed. I know neither that of the Bomber Z2 it comes with are 'top end' forks but I was wondering whether anyone had ridden the Occam in both 140mm and 150mm setup and had any views? To be honest I've always preferred 'more fork' so will certainly give it a go with the Gold.

Finally, an Occam specific question - I read somewhere that they all come with a chain guide. But the pics I've seen of the Alu ones don't have the guide. Anyone know if a guide can be fitted to the Alu ones?

Class Clown
    I am considering an Occam M30 and wondering if the suspension upgrades are worth it, Fox 34 to 36. plus there is a shock upgrade. I am on a 26 hardtail so this is a much different bike, and I doubt I have the skills to fully take advantage of it with the stock suspension.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by dundundata View Post
    I am considering an Occam M30 and wondering if the suspension upgrades are worth it, Fox 34 to 36. plus there is a shock upgrade. I am on a 26 hardtail so this is a much different bike, and I doubt I have the skills to fully take advantage of it with the stock suspension.
    I still have not an occam,, maybe in a couple of days i will have an M30...

Maybe coming from an hardtail 26, to a modern geometry trail bike 29" full suspension it's a big step....
    I don't think you will soon feel the need for a dpx2 or a fox 36 factory instead the stock Performance 34...
    But it's just my opinion... If you plan to ride also on some demanding/enduro tracks you can think going factory 36 and dpx2.. but otherwise i think that the M30 could be very capable also in stock version.

But i let respond to the actual occam owners

Class Clown
    Thanks for the info. I ride in New England, rocky/rooty trails with technical climbs. Some jumping but not like you see in YouTube videos! I agree this is a big step up already, and I still much to learn before I could really do the bike justice.

Taoofwater
    Jun 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by higgo View Post
    I think the first improvement will be brakes, more for performance than weight but I'll change the MT-201s it come with to XT (normal (not 4 pot) as I can then share brake pads with my other (SLX) bike).

Then I'll look at wheels and therefore probably cassette. This will be my first bike in the '1x' and 'boost' era and I gather freehub have changed so I may need a little help here. If I want to use a lighter cassette, am I right that I have to move to either a SRAM 'XD' or a Shimano 'Microspline' freehub? Can I still use either with the existing SLX rear mech and chain? Any advantage to one over the other assuming I'm keeping Shimano mech, chain and shifters?

Next I'll probably look at the crankset but only if there a decent weight saving to be had. Anyone know the weight of the Orbea OC1 crankset? It looks like the H30 is the only model they use it on so I suspect it's not light?

On the other hand they're using their own brand bars and stem on all the Alu and one of the Carbon bikes so I guess they're reasonable weight. I'll stick with them and only change them if I need to for fit.

I do have a 150mm Rockshox Gold 35 fork in the shed. I know neither that of the Bomber Z2 it comes with are 'top end' forks but I was wondering whether anyone had ridden the Occam in both 140mm and 150mm setup and had any views? To be honest I've always preferred 'more fork' so will certainly give it a go with the Gold.

Finally, an Occam specific question - I read somewhere that they all come with a chain guide. But the pics I've seen of the Alu ones don't have the guide. Anyone know if a guide can be fitted to the Alu ones?
    Higgo,

Definitely upgrade the brakes. I had those MT201 and they are ok starter brakes, but lack the power to really push it. I would stick with the Shimano SLX and upgrade the cassette to the Shimano SLX vs Suntour for weight. But if you're going to do those changes, you might want to just level up to the H20 or H10, since it's a few hundred dollars difference and without the hassle of changing things out (and probably cheaper too).

I checked the manual and the chain guide can't be installed on the Alum frames.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    You are going to better off spending a bit more up front with one that is speced better than replacing a bunch of parts. Remember, you are paying for them twice.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    I have the 34/dps and it's plenty capable. It's a great suspension package as is. I like the steeper geometry for up and down trail riding too. Coming from a 26 hardtail it's already gonna feel like a freakin tank to you. I had a 34 on my last bike too when I lived in Vegas. I rode a lot of seriously rocky trails and it did just fine.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    So Iím having some trouble with the front washing out and cornering in tight situations on the occam. Compared to same trails Iíve ridden all the time on a yeti sb100.
    Iím on the xl and Iím 6ft 3 with a 50mm stem and minion tyres.
    Iím wondering if maybe it feels shorter than the numbers suggest? Or Iím not running the front 36 suspension properly, As itís more complicated than the fit 4. Sometimes I feel like the front wonders a lot and itís very twitchy but also Iím feeling like I need to shift weight back for a bit more room when cornering. I did think about buying a 60mm stem to shift weight forward but wondered what others thought before buying one.

I am Walt
    So Iím having some trouble with the front washing out and cornering in tight situations on the occam. Compared to same trails Iíve ridden all the time on a yeti sb100.
    Iím on the xl and Iím 6ft 3 with a 50mm stem and minion tyres.
    Iím wondering if maybe it feels shorter than the numbers suggest? Or Iím not running the front 36 suspension properly, As itís more complicated than the fit 4. Sometimes I feel like the front wonders a lot and itís very twitchy but also Iím feeling like I need to shift weight back for a bit more room when cornering. I did think about buying a 60mm stem to shift weight forward but wondered what others thought before buying one.
    I noticed this because you have an SB100, which I also have as my main bike. I picked up an Ibis Ripmo, and had a similar experience at first. From what you mentioned, I think your issue is shifting your weight BACK...these modern geo, bigger-travel bikes want a more ďactiveĒ riding style, with your weight centered to FORWARD. I think youíre on the right track with a shorter stem, and also focus on body position.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Ok, so maybe try a shorter 35/40mm stem? Not a longer one like 60mm. Itís been really bugging me as itís a bit scary on some tracks.

I am Walt
    Ok, so maybe try a shorter 35/40mm stem? Not a longer one like 60mm. Itís been really bugging me as itís a bit scary on some tracks.
    Iím 5í10Ē on a Large Ripmo, with a 50mm stem. Iíd say 40-50mm max for you, not knowing all the geo and cockpit measurements of the Occam. But yeah, definitely a different feel from the SB100.

Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    I don't know that you'd want to go shorter than the 50mm you've got already. It's more an issue of body positioning. Compared to the SB100, the Occam is significantly longer in reach. The XL SB100 has a reach of 472mm, the XL Occam is at 500mm. This, combined with the slacker head angle, means that your front wheel is going to be significantly further in front of you on the Occam (the wheelbase difference is a full two inches, with almost all of that in front of the BB), which means you need to put your weight further forward than you might initially feel comfortable doing in order to properly weight it for cornering. The washouts you're experiencing are a classic symptom of not enough weight on the front wheel. At the same time, because of the much steeper seat tube angle, the effective top tubes are pretty close, with the Occam actually about 8mm shorter. All other things being equal, this means that your seated position might actually feel a bit cramped, especially if you're running a shorter stem as well.

I see a couple of possible fixes for you.

1. Despite what Walt says, you could try a longer stem. If your attack position (i.e. out of the saddle, weight centered, charging downhill) doesn't feel too stretched out with the current setup, then a slightly longer (i.e. 60mm) stem shouldn't have too much of a negative effect on the steering, and it will help give you a slightly more comfortable pedaling position as well as pull your weight forward a bit to help you get over the front wheel more.

2. Slide your saddle back in the rails. That will give you a bit more seated pedaling length without affecting your attack position.

3. Work on body positioning. As Walt said, newer bikes work best with a more active riding position. The old "get back...back...further back...even further!" mantra isn't really valid anymore, and taking corners at speed while seated will just cause you to wash out. There are quite a few youtube channels out there that cover body positioning as it relates to modern geometry - it might be worth taking a look at them.

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by coleam View Post
    1. Despite what Walt says, you could try a longer stem. If your attack position (i.e. out of the saddle, weight centered, charging downhill) doesn't feel too stretched out with the current setup, then a slightly longer (i.e. 60mm) stem shouldn't have too much of a negative effect on the steering, and it will help give you a slightly more comfortable pedaling position as well as pull your weight forward a bit to help you get over the front wheel more.
    Yeah, youíre correct...I mixed myself up...LOL. Thanks for clarifying!

Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Great, I will try a 60mm and see how I get on. Will let you know.
    Interesting the sb130 bike mag review which has similar geo to occam, mentions about being aggressive riding and if you just casually ride along it can under steer badly. Didnít have budget for another yeti but itís interesting comments regarding new style geometry.

Class Clown
    Mentioning sizing, been reading through this thread and notice alot of people around my size going to large frames. I am 5'9" with inseam 31.5".

Anyway I am curious to those who are at the in-between size between M and L, do you normally ride large frames? I have always had medium frames and shorter reach. I might be a little cramped but I prefer it for trail riding.

Unfortunately with shops being closed for the most part it's not really possible for me to test. I could probably ride a large but I would be at the low end of the spectrum for height and inseam.
    Last edited by dundundata; 06-21-2020 at 06:19 PM.

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Mentioning sizing, been reading through this thread and notice alot of people around my size going to large frames. I am about 5'9.5", but inseam is only about 31" (I am going to try for some more accurate measurements).

Anyway I am curious to those who are at the in-between size between M and L, do you normally ride large frames? I have always had medium frames and shorter reach. I might be a little cramped but I prefer it for trail riding.

Unfortunately with shops being closed for the most part it's not really possible for me to test. I could probably ride a large but I would be at the low end of the spectrum for height and inseam.
    The big downfall to up-sizing is increase in stack height. If you like low bars up-sizing makes that really hard, but if you run some spacers under your stem then up-sizing might work for you.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Mentioning sizing, been reading through this thread and notice alot of people around my size going to large frames. I am about 5'9.5", but inseam is only about 31" (I am going to try for some more accurate measurements).

Yes, you are between M and L...
    I have yesterday brought home an Occam M30. I'm 5.10(178cm) with 33"(84cm) inseam, and i went straight with L size.
    From what i see the seat tube, is short, and if you decide to go L size, i think that with the stock 150mm dropper fully inserted you will have a correct seat height for you 31" inseam.

If you want i can give you the minimum seat height available with the 150dropper slammed down (with stock saddle)

Today i will swap parts from my previous bike to the occam, spank split 48mm stem with 31.8 spank vibrocore bar instead the stock 55mm stem, 35mm alu bar.

My Ergon saddle and grips.

With my inseam i can use my actual 180mm Oneup dropper V2, and i will replace the stock 150.

I will put my DHR2 in front and save the stock Highroller 2.5 maybe for winter wet front tires, or for rear usage in bikeparks days? I think i will give a try to the stock rear Rekon 2.4WT... it seems real 60,5mm at the widest knobs... maybe a will see at the casing...

Antother thing i see is the tuning from orbea of the DPS shock. It's amazing how it differ from the Re:activ tuning of the 2018 Dps of trek fuel ex.
    Don't know if it's due to the suspension geometry or it's the shock tuned, but when locked it feels almost locked!!Amazing!! Then middle trail option and open, really open up. Maybe this shock is new, but i really feel it's moving more smooth than my old 2018 dps.

Can't wait to try the new Occam on the trails :-) Maybe tomorrow.

Class Clown
    Yes measurement would be helpful, thanks!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Yes, you are between M and L...
    I have yesterday brought home an Occam M30. I'm 5.10(178cm) with 33"(84cm) inseam, and i went straight with L size.
    From what i see the seat tube, is short, and if you decide to go L size, i think that with the stock 150mm dropper fully inserted you will have a correct seat height for you 31" inseam.

If you want i can give you the minimum seat height available with the 150dropper slammed down (with stock saddle)

Today i will swap parts from my previous bike to the occam, spank split 48mm stem with 31.8 spank vibrocore bar instead the stock 55mm stem, 35mm alu bar.

My Ergon saddle and grips.

With my inseam i can use my actual 180mm Oneup dropper V2, and i will replace the stock 150.

I will put my DHR2 in front and save the stock Highroller 2.5 maybe for winter wet front tires, or for rear usage in bikeparks days? I think i will give a try to the stock rear Rekon 2.4WT... it seems real 60,5mm at the widest knobs... maybe a will see at the casing...

Antother thing i see is the tuning from orbea of the DPS shock. It's amazing how it differ from the Re:activ tuning of the 2018 Dps of trek fuel ex.
    Don't know if it's due to the suspension geometry or it's the shock tuned, but when locked it feels almost locked!!Amazing!! Then middle trail option and open, really open up. Maybe this shock is new, but i really feel it's moving more smooth than my old 2018 dps.

Can't wait to try the new Occam on the trails :-) Maybe tomorrow.
    Give him the measurement to center of seat rails, that will eliminate the variable the seat introduces.
    Ripley LS v3
    OG Ripley v2 handed down to son

Class Clown
    I took another measurement, inseam looks closer to 31.5"

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    I took another measurement, inseam looks closer to 31.5"
    Hi,
    L size
    the stock 150 dropper, slammed down: from center BB to saddle rail 66,8cm
    From center BB to center of the stock saddle 71cm

(center of the saddle is where the saddle is 7cm wide)

From some standard matematics(i'm not a bio-mechanic), with 31,5" inseam you should have an height from BB to saddle of approx 70cm.
    Using 170mm cranks(instead the 175), and maybe using a "less tall" saddle(from rails to top), you could go with an L size and a 150mm dropper all slammed down.
    Otherwise go with an M

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    Hi all,

Picked up an size Large H10 about a month ago. It's my first FS bike after riding a Salsa Timberjack the past two years. What a sick bike! Very satisfied so far. Upgraded the shock and fork to the DPX2 and the Fox 36, respectively, along with the XT Brakes. I've changed the M1900 wheels for my RaceFace Turbine R wheelset that I had on my hardtail. Kept the HR2 up front but changed the rekon to a 2.5 aggressor in the rear. Also changed the saddle to an Ergon SM and grips to Ergon GA2 Fatties.

Now I am trying to dial in my cockpit setup. The bike came with 55mm stem and I'm pondering if I should try something shorter, like a 40mm, and upgrading the handlebar to a Oneup carbon with 20mm rise. I'd like to make it easier to bunny hop, manual, and throw/quickly maneuver the bike around on the trail but still peddle comfortably seated in the climbs without the front wheel lifting too easily or wandering.

QUESTION: For the folks that are on the upper end of your chosen size range and have messed around with stem length, what are your experiences and what have you settled on? Have you found a 40mm or 35mm stem too short?

Me: 5'11", +2" ape index, long legs, short'ish torso. I also currently have the stock OC bars rolled forward a bit so there is a bit less back sweep. This has been the most comfortable position for my hands on long rides.

Class Clown
    Thanks for measuring!

Zambo, what do u think of the frame size for you? Do u think if u were any shorter it would be too big? I am 1 inch shorter than u in height and inseam. Do you need to slam the dropper all the way?

There is another person on previous page who bought a large and has same measurements. So I will have to sleep on it, and dream of the ride.
    Last edited by dundundata; 06-18-2020 at 07:53 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Thanks for measuring!

Zambo, what do u think of the frame size for you? Do u think if u were any shorter it would be too big? I am 1 inch shorter than u in height and inseam. Do you need to slam the dropper all the way?

There is another person on previous page who bought a large and has same measurements. So I will have to sleep on it, and dream of the ride.
    I have changed the 150 dropper and put my old 180mm Oneup. I still have 3cm before slamming down the 180mm.

If i were you i will go to a shop and try both sizes, or if you don't have orbea shops near you, watch some other brands that have for example similar reach and go try those.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    I have some questions for the already owners...

- On the Chainstay protector the chain rub a little when in 10T and an Oval AbsoluteBlack 30T chainring... someone is using the 30T?

- The Maxxis Highrolle II 2.5... Well i was a little worried and i was planning from the beginning to swap it for my actual DHR2..
    Whatching the Highroller it seems really not bad.. not to round, very soft side knobs.. the channel seems not so big and so there will be not a big vague zone.. compared to my dhr it seems that the side knobs of the HR are higher, softer, but with the finger, in the end they seems less supported and start to fold over.
    Someone has used the stock Highroller 2.5 in front, and then compared to something else? Will the Highroller be better in front in winter and in soft dirt, leaf covered, and i keep the DHR2 in front for the dry?

- On the suspension linkage, there was a small purple key, i remove it, but is there another sealing cap(that i dont' have), or this part remain as is? With thread exposed to dirt? (I attach picture)
    New Occam-orbea-suspension2.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Someone has used the stock Highroller 2.5 in front, and then compared to something else? Will the Highroller be better in front in winter and in soft dirt, leaf covered, and i keep the DHR2 in front for the dry?
    I haven't swapped anything yet, but my plan is to put a DHF up front and move the HRII to replace the rear Rekon. More because I hate the Rekon, than because I dislike the HRII up front. This is for PNW terrain, and I pick a year-round set rather than optimizing for a season. I realize this doesn't really answer your question, but it's a data point

On the suspension linkage, there was a small purple key, i remove it, but is there another sealing cap(that i dont' have), or this part remain as is? With thread exposed to dirt? (I attach picture)
    Normal, nothing missing. I noticed it both times I rode a demo, and on my bike when it arrived.

JRuss1524
    Apr 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by Farmpunk View Post

I ended up going with a medium and I find it a bit too small unfortunately.. currently in the process of selling and Iíll probably end up getting a large as you suggested. Though I am still a little concerned about the seat tube height.

Class Clown
    del
    Last edited by dundundata; 06-21-2020 at 07:18 PM.

Class Clown
    I ended up going with a medium and I find it a bit too small unfortunately.. currently in the process of selling and Iíll probably end up getting a large as you suggested. Though I am still a little concerned about the seat tube height.
    what do you find too small about it?

seattube height for L is 38mm longer, 1.5".

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    Hi all,

Hey, so regarding the water bottle clearance, here's a pic of a pretty large bottle in my large frame. In my left access lezyne cage the battle barely rubbed the dpx2 res. I got one of these Wolf Tooth B Rad bases and achieved a rub free fit. It raised the cage up slightly and consequently closer to the frame. Put some rubber tape on the cage section closest to the frame and theres been little noticable noise.

Also here's a pic of the "black" alloy frame in the sun the first day I picked it up. The frame actually has a bit of metallic luster I actually really like the blue tint especially with the Ka$hima.New Occam-20200621_185804.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    Couldn't attached this pic on the previous post.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Occam-inshot_20200621_234355042.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by taoofwater View Post
    Higgo,

Definitely upgrade the brakes. I had those MT201 and they are ok starter brakes, but lack the power to really push it. I would stick with the Shimano SLX and upgrade the cassette to the Shimano SLX vs Suntour for weight. But if you're going to do those changes, you might want to just level up to the H20 or H10, since it's a few hundred dollars difference and without the hassle of changing things out (and probably cheaper too).

I checked the manual and the chain guide can't be installed on the Alum frames.
    Thanks (and apologies for missing your reply).
    I won't have the bike for another three weeks but I've already bought new SLX brakes and crankset, an XT cassette and some lighter (fun works) wheels.

I get the point about going straight for the H20/10 but I'm buying it through a work/government scheme which gives me a discount and a tax saving so it's basically half price but there's a limit of £2000 which is the UK price for the H30. If I end up spending the £1000 I save on lighter/better bits I probably end up with something between the H20 and H10 for H30 money. 'Man maths' at its best!

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

JRuss - What made you decide to ditch the Tallboy for the Occam? Those are the two bikes I'm looking at right now because they are sold by nearby shops I like and fit my price range. Just need to wait for them to actually be in stock.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast