New Occam- Mtbr.com

Thread: New Occam

mtbr member
    Nov 2016

New Occam

https://www.orbea.com/us-en/bicycles/mountain/occam

This looks like a great bike. I was considering an Oiz but this has me conflicted. The biggest concern is that it slots too closely to my Rallon. What does everyone else think about it?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Looks like a great bike and I think it fills a pretty different niche than the Oiz. Don't get carried away with the "TR" spec on the Oiz. The Oiz is an XC bike that you can ride trail on, but it's an XC bike first. You should choose the Oiz if you are going to be doing some XC and/or marathon racing and want something reasonably 'race-y' that can also pass as a trail bike as long as you aren't attempting to go full enduro-bro on it.

The Occam is a proper trail bike and while PB claims it starts at 26lbs (without pedals) and climbs well, I doubt you'd want to bring it to many XC races. You could of course, but I'm sure you'd be quite a bit slower. I'd get the Occam if I was looking for a trail bike first, still wanted something that climbs decent, but wasn't planning on racing it.

Pretty much everything above assumes I'm talking about the TR version of the Oiz since if you were considering an Occam instead I assume that was the Oiz model you were considering.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Looks awesome, can't wait to hear some real reviews.

mtbr member
    Oiz TR is not a trail bike at all. Compared to Canyon Neuron and Trek Fuel Ex which I rode 2 weeks ago Oiz TR is an XC rocket. The Neuron and Fuel Ex were actually feeling pretty similar to 29" enduro bikes I rode as well in root sections that weren't too bad, but Oiz would feel pretty bad there. (I own and ride Oiz TR for month and a half now)

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    I wouldn't call it a trail bike in comparison to today's trail bikes with 140+ mm of travel but a few short years ago trail bikes were in the 120-130 range. Before I got my Oiz TR I was riding a 2015 Salsa Horsthief which was advertised as their 'go-anywhere trail bike'. It had a 120mm shock and 130mm fork.

After getting my Oiz my first thought was that it feels harsher and less capable on some of the more rugged descents than my Horsthief but my segment times don't back that up. I've been setting non-stop PRs since I got my Oiz. I expected them on the climbs but I'm surprised that I'm descending faster too.

Big caveat there is I didn't have a dropper on my Horsthief which would be unheard of for a trail bike today and probably accounts for most of the speed differential vs the Oiz TR. On the other hand, I had much beefier 2.4" tires on my trail bike and I feel a big difference between those and the stock 2.2" currently on the Oiz. I think swapping to a set of beefier 2.4" tires would make the Oiz feel a lot more trail-capable.

mtbr member
    Bike looks to be a fantastic trail bike. Seems they carried over a lot of the Rallon design in pivot execution, hardware etc., and implemented some new stuff as well....the strut is interesting. Methinks a Rallon with F/R coil & "Enduro" spec would compliment a trail build Occam very very well for bigger mile or less aggressive riding. I want to try one stat!
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I have a like new 2018 Ocaam TR M10. I don't dislike it but should have purchased an Oiz after coming from a hard tail. Anyone for a trade?

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post
    Bike looks to be a fantastic trail bike. Seems they carried over a lot of the Rallon design in pivot execution, hardware etc., and implemented some new stuff as well....the strut is interesting. Methinks a Rallon with F/R coil & "Enduro" spec would compliment a trail build Occam very very well for bigger mile or less aggressive riding. I want to try one stat!
    I've seen rumor of a 170mm link update for the Rallon. I don't know if I buy that though. It could provide the more progressive rear I have from a very reliable source but that same source also mentioned making the front a bit longer. If it were confirmed it removes my overlap and I order an Occam today. Currently on a dual coil Rallon.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by bikenut316 View Post
    I have a like new 2018 Ocaam TR M10. I don't dislike it but should have purchased an Oiz after coming from a hard tail. Anyone for a trade?
    That's going to be a tough one due to the night and day difference of the three, 2019, 2018 Occam and Oiz, but maybe you get lucky?

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    This is the coolest bike out right now, ticks sooo many of the boxes most folks want, including myself. Overfork this w/a 160mm Fox 36 (or sim) and you can absolutely rip up an enduro track, it's geometry is right in line with many enduro bikes out there. Stick with a 140 fox 34 (or sim) and some light wheels/tires and you got general trail ripper.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    This will be my next bike, pretty sure now. Carbon or alloy version is open. I don't really care about the materials and I want a frame that is a little forgiving. Until now I couldn't find any information about the alloy frame. It seems only the carbon version was available at the press release. Just infos about the weight penalty would be enough.

Hisforever
    So there have been some reviews, all have been positive.

What is the standover? its not listed on the website, why would they leave that part out???

Also, didnt remember if the leverage ratio changed? is the new occam more progressive like i think it is? Seriously thinking of selling my new rallon just to sample this new rig

PipedreamMoxie
    M 5.5
    Yeti
    Evil
    Yz 250x braap

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by SHAHEEB View Post
    What is the standover? its not listed on the website, why would they leave that part out???

Also, didnt remember if the leverage ratio changed? is the new occam more progressive like i think it is? Seriously thinking of selling my new rallon just to sample this new rig
    This article here talks about how the suspension ratios changed.
    https://www.pinkbike.com/news/first-...ccam-2020.html

Orbea left it out of the Geo charts (weird) but lists standover as 736mm, no mention of what size that is...

Hisforever
    i'm really surprised more peeps are not jumping all over these bikes.

PipedreamMoxie
    M 5.5
    Yeti
    Evil
    Yz 250x braap

mtbr member
    May 2012
    It looks like they are, delivery has moved out from early September upon launch to December now!

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Yep the delivery date is too far away. The wait is worse than with the car industry lol

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Just to report back,I just finished my first ride on the Oiz TR this weekend. I was an idiot and raced the Oz Trails Epic 30 Mile (Epic Rides) race on it as a shake down ride.i don't know that I would have finished on my Rallon, way I have it set up drives that mainiy, and would have been slower on an Occam. If I had not had a few new bike mechanical things, stem bolts and topcap bolts vibrating loose (seem to do it on every new bike I ride in the first few miles) I would have been in the top third and less than an hour off the overall, not too bad for an Endurobro in my opinion. The bike jumps like a dream and was remarkably composed through rocks at speed for what it is. The only negative I experienced was ability to brake, mainly due to tire selection but grip vs rolling resistance is always a trade off.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    Got my new Occam M-LTD this week, was promised Oct delivery end of July, got it on time. I upgraded from the last model Occam TR, which I liked but the new version is killer. Better shocks GRIP2/DPX2, XTR, goes downhill better and climbs a LOT better. Feels more capable in the techy stuff and nimbler at the same time.
    Size wise I was hesitating between the M and L (I'm 5'10''), got the L and it's a good fit with the upright climbing position, was worried about the longer reach but it's spot on.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Occam-img_1094.jpg  

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Glad to see this post. I'm about to order mine!

Do you happen to know the weight?

I'm shorter than you, at 5'8, so figure on a medium with 50mm stem. How do you find the reach with your large?

I'm a bit nervous coming off my Mojo 3 that the pedaling efficiency\firm feel won't be the same with the Orbea design. Any feedback?

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    It's supposed to be 11.8kg but haven't weighed it, it's super good on the climbs, not far off my PR's with my XC rig w SPDs vs the Occam with flats on long climbs. It definitely feels very agile for 150/140mm suspension bike. The longer wheelbase also helps on the downhills. Still have to get used to the GRIP2 fork, feels good but there's some new dialling to learn... Huge difference with the DPX2 shock, super smooth.
    Reach feels just right despite being on the shorter end of the recommended length for large. Think you'll be ok with medium, I had a medium Occam TR and it felt a little cramped, this feels just right. New models are a little longer in both reach & wheelbase. You definitely notice the better climbing ability with the steeper seat tube. Pedal efficiency is great even in full open mode on the shock & you can dial it back with the 3 way switch.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Thanks for the info!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Interesting as I was thinking the Occam TR would climb better than this new Occam. I was torn between the two but if you think the new Occam climbs better I will go with it. I am 5'11.5" and between a L and Xl but think an XL would be too big.....reach looks good but EEF top tube looks short on the L.

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    The new Occam is definitely a better climber, as well as descender. The geometry is different, think they nailed it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Great, I just ordered the H20 Eagle. Hopefully get it this weekend to test it out. Been doing some big rides on my Ibis HD4 and while a great descender I am looking for something to take out on the longer rides. Thank you for the feedback!

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by JoLod View Post
    Got my new Occam M-LTD this week, was promised Oct delivery end of July, got it on time. I upgraded from the last model Occam TR, which I liked but the new version is killer. Better shocks GRIP2/DPX2, XTR, goes downhill better and climbs a LOT better. Feels more capable in the techy stuff and nimbler at the same time.
    Size wise I was hesitating between the M and L (I'm 5'10''), got the L and it's a good fit with the upright climbing position, was worried about the longer reach but it's spot on.
    Thanks for the info. Can you check tire clearance? Is there a chance to fit 29x2.6 tires? I have 2018 Rallon and I would like some less agressive bike, so I am looking into Occam. Have you maybe tried Rallon? I have not seen any comparisons between the two.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    I'm 5'-9.5" with 31.5-32" inseam. I'm also hesitating between M and L. With a 150mm dropper, seatpost will need to be pushed all the way down on a L. I was curious to hear your feedback on this and also if you were able to test a Medium?

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    What type of BB does 2020 Occam have? Can't find it listed anywhere on their website.

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by C&L 1911 View Post
    What type of BB does 2020 Occam have? Can't find it listed anywhere on their website.
    I saw one video where the reviewer said itís threaded.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Yes, mine has a threaded BB.

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by markopic View Post
    Thanks for the info. Can you check tire clearance? Is there a chance to fit 29x2.6 tires? I have 2018 Rallon and I would like some less agressive bike, so I am looking into Occam. Have you maybe tried Rallon? I have not seen any comparisons between the two.
    I think it works, it comes with High Roller II 2.5 front and Rekon 2.4 rear, there is some more room.
    I haven't ridden the Rallon myself but I rode with the guides at Basque MTB last month, they were all on Rallon's but were getting the new Occam's as well, they had done a ton of testing as they do the guiding for the press for Orbea's launch events.

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by bajakbow View Post
    I'm 5'-9.5" with 31.5-32" inseam. I'm also hesitating between M and L. With a 150mm dropper, seatpost will need to be pushed all the way down on a L. I was curious to hear your feedback on this and also if you were able to test a Medium?
    I had exactly the same problem as you, no chance to test the new M as I ordered in July. I have the same measures and was hesitating between L and M.
    The reach on my old Occam H10 M was too short uphill so went with the new L, it was the right decision. Now it feels just right both up and down. The seatpost is pushed almost but not all the way down.

The seat tube angle is quite steep so you feel on top of the bike without overextending, reach looks long on paper but doesn't feel that way. Definitely an improvement uphill and also downhill with the slacker geo & longer wheelbase.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Any real world weights yet? I still think the the claimed weights seem over optimistic.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by markopic View Post
    It was only a parking lot test of the Occam but here's my take. It was a playful bike. I could throw it around and boost off of things with it better than my Rallon (probably due to the fact my Rallon is built to be a tank and is significantly heavier). The handling felt familiar. My biggest hang up, no pun intended, is that it has the same issue as the old linkage Rallon with hanging up on square edges. To me the shorter travel just exacerbated that issue. That said the Occam's linkage appears to be similar to the Rallon's so that hanging up piece is riding style dependant and can be hidden when the shock is set up correctly, which for a parking lot test it absolutely was not.

With an Oiz TR and a soon to be 170/160 Rallon there really isn't a place in my collection for the Occam so I just gave it a spin out of curiosity.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    I had exactly the same problem as you, no chance to test the new M as I ordered in July. I have the same measures and was hesitating between L and M.
    The reach on my old Occam H10 M was too short uphill so went with the new L, it was the right decision. Now it feels just right both up and down. The seatpost is pushed almost but not all the way down.

The seat tube angle is quite steep so you feel on top of the bike without overextending, reach looks long on paper but doesn't feel that way. Definitely an improvement uphill and also downhill with the slacker geo & longer wheelbase.
    Thanks for the feedback! I'm also concerned about standover height. I tried a L Stumpjumper. On paper, Stumpjumper standover height at 762 and Occam at 766, basically the same. It was borderline. How did you find it on the Occam?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Just received my H20 Eagle Friday. My scale read 33.6 LBS with tubes all stock. Early report is that this is a pretty capable bike. My first 29er but my daily driver is an Ibis HD4 and it doesn't loose much to it so far.
    Thing of note is that I ordered the black but it is a dark midnight blue....be warned lol.

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    Thanks for the feedback! I'm also concerned about standover height. I tried a L Stumpjumper. On paper, Stumpjumper standover height at 762 and Occam at 766, basically the same. It was borderline. How did you find it on the Occam?
    The new Occam L has more standover height than my old Occam M... No concern for me, 31.5'' inseam

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by tuckerjt07 View Post
    My biggest hang up, no pun intended, is that it has the same issue as the old linkage Rallon with hanging up on square edges. To me the shorter travel just exacerbated that issue. That said the Occam's linkage appears to be similar to the Rallon's so that hanging up piece is riding style dependant and can be hidden when the shock is set up correctly, which for a parking lot test it absolutely was not.

With an Oiz TR and a soon to be 170/160 Rallon there really isn't a place in my collection for the Occam so I just gave it a spin out of curiosity.
    I am in the similar situation, having Oiz M10TR and 2018 Rallon (without new linkage). I was considering Occam as less aggressive version of the Rallon, but for me Rallon works great so I can not justify getting an new Occam. I am still considering new linkage. On the other side, Oiz TR (with 120mm) is such a great bike.

Many thanks once again,

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by meSSican View Post
    Just received my H20 Eagle Friday. My scale read 33.6 LBS with tubes all stock. Early report is that this is a pretty capable bike. My first 29er but my daily driver is an Ibis HD4 and it doesn't loose much to it so far.
    Thing of note is that I ordered the black but it is a dark midnight blue....be warned lol.
    I've read somewhere that the aluminium version was 13.5 kg or 29.2 pounds, I can't find it out where, so far, but I will. Anyway it seems pretty heavy... How does it rides, especially on long climbs and few hours of pedalling?
    I have to choose between Trek fuel ex 8 or 9.7 2019 and the new occam H2. I just don't want an enduro bike since I've to climb every summit I want to descent...
    Any advice and comparisons of these 2 bikes?
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by ollyc View Post
    I've read somewhere that the aluminium version was 13.5 kg or 29.2 pounds, I can't find it out where, so far, but I will. Anyway it seems pretty heavy... How does it rides, especially on long climbs and few hours of pedalling?
    I have to choose between Trek fuel ex 8 or 9.7 2019 and the new occam H2. I just don't want an enduro bike since I've to climb every summit I want to descent...
    Any advice and comparisons of these 2 bikes?
    Thanks!
    Let me know if you're able to find mid travel ALU bikes under 30LBS.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I did weigh the front wheel without tire or rotor and it came in at 1113 grams. I am expecting to loose probably over a 1lb with a sub 2000 gram wheel set (have stock Mach1 Max wheels). I think you could get this thing around 30lbs if you wanted to but aside from wheels I think its fine.
    Ride wise, I haven't taken it on any big rides yet but will this weekend. I will say that it does climb better than my HD4. It also feels really poppy and rides much lighter than my HD4 of the same weight. It is really fast and found it scary at times as I wasn't used to it. I think as a 1 bike option it would be great. I'm happy with mine just wish i went for the SLX 12 speed version to try it out...but the NX eagle is nice also, doesn't feel any different than my GX on the HD4.

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    Thanks for your impression, are precious for me. Where I am I don't have any chance to demo nor see any bike, therefore internet is the only place where I get to know.
    Please keep us posted about you further impressions

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Surprised this hasnít been posted yet....

https://www.bebikes.com/the-hub/orbe...st-ride-review

I ordered one locally today
    MyO m10 with a 36
    Putting my wheels on it and done!
    Currently on v4 ripley and this definitely sounds like what Iím looking for
    Considered ripmo and sb130 but iím Taking a shot at the occam
    Iím 5.9 with 32 and am going large with 40mm stem
    Gonna see if I can squeeze a 160 one up dropper in there (think theyíre the shortest right?)

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    The video has good follow up comments re: bike comparos
    Iím sure everyoneís cross shopping hightowers ripmos 130ís etc
    Iím currently on v4 ripley and really like the pedaling and climbing
    A sportier ripmo sounds right up my alley

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by velez3000 View Post
    Surprised this hasnít been posted yet....

https://www.bebikes.com/the-hub/orbe...st-ride-review

I ordered one locally today
    MyO m10 with a 36
    Putting my wheels on it and done!
    Currently on v4 ripley and this definitely sounds like what Iím looking for
    Considered ripmo and sb130 but iím Taking a shot at the occam
    Iím 5.9 with 32 and am going large with 40mm stem
    Gonna see if I can squeeze a 160 one up dropper in there (think theyíre the shortest right?)
    I'm 5'11.5" and have a 150mm dropper pulled out about 1.5" from full insertion and I have a 31" inseam.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Nice
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    I'm 5'11.5" and have a 150mm dropper pulled out about 1.5" from full insertion and I have a 31" inseam.
    Is it with the OC2 dropper? The maximum insertion point to lower cradle (207mm) seems to be higher on this dropper type than others...

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Is it with the OC2 dropper? The maximum insertion point to lower cradle (207mm) seems to be higher on this dropper type than others...
    Yes, it is the stock dropper on size Large.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Just noticed that the Bebikes written review listed the weight of their XL Occam at just under 28 pounds. The article didn't say if that was with pedals. Probably not. So it would appear Orbea's claims are fairly accurate.
    Orderd my MYO a few weeks back. Now just gotta wait!

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Deleted.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Photo of the dark blue color would be appreciated!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    For anyone fluent in metric measurements, I'm 183 cm and have a seat height of 78 cm including saddle. I just got an XL M30 with dpx2, 36 and minion upgrade. 170 mm dropper is slammed giving me a perfect seat height. Weighed it to 14.8 kg with cb mallet dh.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    14.8 kg, this sounds really heavy for me for the M30. If your scale is right this is a really disappointing point.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Can't really speak to the accuracy of my scales, regular cheap luggage scales. Funny thing is that the remedy 8 it replaced (with various major upgrades mind you) was 14.6 kg on the same scales, but the occam feels significantly lighter. I weighed it before I rode it and was really disappointed, until I rode it and it still felt miles lighter and faster to climb than the remedy. Now the weight doesn't really bother me other than the knowledge, so I will be putting a lighter wheelset on next year and probably carbon cranks..

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    In a german forum I heard ~13,3 kg for the M30 with carbon handlebar und lighter wheelset, but with standard tires (even they should effect only ~200g on the scale).

Anyway, can you share you experience with the Occam, strenght and weaks? How does it perform compared with the Remedy, especially in the descent? I guess you have the standrad color, right, but can you share some pictures? I am not sure if I already saw on XL carbon frame.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I was pretty disappointed with the weight of my h20 at almost 34 lbs (and the color being blue and not black). But it does feel a lot lighter on the trails. Willing to pop off rocks and jumps pretty nicely. Taking mine up for a long hard ride in Lake Tahoe on Monday. Will report back. So far though i have been beating my standard times on trails I am very familiar with.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    My first impression of the bike was Holy SH!T this bike climbs. Without pushing I put a PB on a 3 minute tarmac road climb section I have to the trail head on the first ride I did on the bike, with both dampers completely open where on the Remedy I would always lock the shock and firm up the fork. Same tires but smaller size on the Remedy, and lighter wheels as well. I haven't had time to put more than a few rides on the Occam yet due to a having a small surgery a couple of weeks ago, but I'm getting back on the bike this weekend.
    Descending it feels at least as capable as the Remedy, it changes lines with ease and is real easy to play around and "trail jib" with on small features. I found it a little harder to pop off larger rocks and roots, the rear wheel likes to track the ground more, but that may be down to me not having the suspension dialled yet and not being used to 29" wheels (this is my first 29er and I had only ever test ridden one once before getting it). I have the larger volume spacer installed in the shock and I'm pretty close to spot on the pressure recommendation in the manual.

That's about all I can say really as I've only ridden it a couple of times and not in the last 2,5 weeks, but I can try and update again after the rides this weekend where I'm hitting a little bit rowdier stuff.

The OEM handlebar feels really good, and the oem 170 mm dropper is really nice. No word on durability yet, obviously, but the lever is really nice and the action is smooth and good. Pleasantly surprised, would pick it over my old Reverb any day of the week (and I wasn't particularly unhappy with that post, it worked ok).

The colours are amazing imo. I was a little worried from the pictures I've seen that the blue wouldn't be nice, but it really is. I think the proportions of the bike looks a lot better in person than on the pictures, I personally find the top tube shape/kink on the XL bikes pretty ugly in pictures but it doesn't bother me at all in the flesh.
    Quality seems really good, but I will warn anyone that the internal cable routing is a bit fiddly, I found myself missing the control freak routing from TREK. A proper tool (like the Parktool IR-1) is definately recommended.

New Occam-20191019_102318-1-.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Thanks for the picture and your impression. For sure the kink is much stronger as on the L or M frame but it does not look so bad in the picture.

If you have ride it more times an update would be nice. I think about the same pick but nearly not possible to get a proper test ride, at least not before the winter. And doing this in spring time you need luck for the dlivery time, at least here in Germany.

By the way, the frame color is matt but the top tune is shining. Do you use a glossy protection foil?
    On the picture the space between the chain and frame seems to be very small. Do you have a ratlle of the chain or the internal cable?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Yeah no worries, I'll post an update during the weekend.

I honestly went by reviews, price, spec and geometry. No test ride, ordered it blind.. Was more than a little stressed, really glad things turned out well

Yeah correct, the orange is gloss and the blue is matte and I've put glossy protection tape on the top tube and some other places (seat and chain stays, down tube and back of seat tube).

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    New Occam-img_20191106_135700.jpg
    New Occam-img_20191105_162232.jpg
    "Black" h20 aluminum frame.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    So of course one of my daughters caught a fever last night, so I could only manage to sneak off for a short 1,5 hour ride this morning. I didn't get to push it as I had intended, but I had some time to reflect on the differences between the Remedy and the Occam.

On the Remedy, I have always had to run a fairly high pressure, 20-25% sag, to not bottom out every ride. I always liked the way the Remedy descended, quite playful but still able to handle the chunk. I've ridden it on EWS trails, World Cup DH tracks and never felt that I couldn't get down it. I have, however, felt the speed limit of the bike on some of those trails, where it gets overwhelmed and gets bounced around. On the Occam, that limit feels like it is further away. It's not that I feel I can hit stuff with it that I couldn't on the Remedy, but it feels like i can hit it faster. A set of 1-1,5 meter rock drops on the ride i did today has always felt a little skittish and exciting on the Remedy, but on the Occam I went through it and felt "Oh, ok. I could probably hit that a lot faster now."

The big disclaimer to all of this is that I went from a Large Remedy 27.5" with a Pike up front and a standard damper to a XL Occam 29" with a 36 and a DPX2, so how much of what I feel is simply the added stability of a stiffer chassis, better damping, longer reach and bigger wheels and what is actually the capability of specifically the Occam compared to other similar bikes is difficult to tell. But this is at least my thoughts on it compared to the Remedy I had.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    So... I'm not really in the market for one of these (yet), but are there mounts for a bash guard on the new Occam?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by bjeast View Post
    So... I'm not really in the market for one of these (yet), but are there mounts for a bash guard on the new Occam?
    No iscg tabs. I'm planning to get either a bb mount bash or a bb mount iscg adapter.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Ah okay. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Nov 2019
    Hi Everyone!
    Just received my brand new Occam 2 weeks ago and I wanted to share my xp. I owned a Occam AM M10 27.5" (2016) previously and before buying this spanish brand, I was a big fan (and a owner) of C'dale bikes (F900 97, Jekyll 2000 SL 2000, Rush 2000 2006 and Trigger Carbon 2 2013, all 26").
    Clearly, this brand did not make me dream before riding their bikes (it was for me a B-brand, with no particular philosophy and know how for MTBs).
    As said, I owned the former Occam before (27,5"), it was my 1st xp with the brand, and I was very satisfied with. Very good bike for climbing, very nervous. But on the other hand, not that impressive/good in descents (but not bad humh), though 140/140 front/rear. Probably too rigid, not smooth enough and not helped by the small 27.5" wheels. But a great bike overall, with a great equipment (full XT and full Fox Factory).
    I've already ridden with the New Occam 2020 3 times the last 10 days and I'm very very impressed by the bike when descending. It's very stable - and nimble as well. It's so easy and fun to ride with such a bike . For climbing, it looks good too but I can't be so affirmative yet (been injured w/o riding for the last 10 weeks and this is my 1st 29er). FYI, I own the M10 model w/ Fox 36 and Minion options. I live in France (near Lyon) and my typical track is 30 kms w/ 700 D+/-. I am 1.84M tall with 88cm inseam. After having hesitated, I've finally ordered a Large size. And it's for me the right size!
    https://www.casimages.com/i/19110805394469785.jpg.html

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Hey guys I'm 6'4" 205 lbs and the XL actually fit me. I have difficulty finding bikes that fit. For example: Ibis bikes feel too small for me (demoed XL Ripley and Ripmo). I was ready to pull the trigger on a new Tallboy V4 or Yeti SB130 until I rode the Occam. I was really blown away with how well it pedaled. I switched back and forth between the Occam and Tallboy and the Occam climbed just as good with way more travel. I'm torn between the 2 bikes but the Occam is more forgiving on technical rough trails. It was super quick but plush. I will be completing a 2 day demo before buying in the next month. The Occam seams like the perfect all round bike especially for older guys with sport injuries like myself.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    So took the Occam out on a pretty hard ride (for me). 19 total miles at around 9000ft elevation with a around 11 mile climb and 8 mile DH. Last time I rode this loop was on my HD4 which was my main bike for a while. The Occam obviously climbed better so that was no surprise. The downhill on this trail had several steep very techy rock features at the top then gets fast and flowy. On the techy sections the Occam felt a bit overwhelmed compared to the HD4 which ate these sections. On the fast flowy sections the Occam felt great and was easy to throw around and wanted to pop off all the rocks although felt a bit slower than the HD4. When at high speed and a bit choppy the Occam again felt a lot more sporty than the HD4 which gobbles this stuff up.
    I like to run my suspension on the softer side and was a bit surprised with the Occam's slight difficulty on the steep tech and fast chatter.
    My everyday trails roll with ups and downs scattered with rocks. Also some fast with chunk and some drops. The Occam is amazing on this type of terrain. It eats up small chunk and handles jumps/drops very well. When things get to the black or double black diamond I will be bringing the HD4...which is ok with me as I really love the HD4.
    Still walking away saying the Occam is an amazing bike but for me I want to keep a bigger bike as well.