dmo
    mtbr member

Do all Orbeas have the same magic as the Rallon

Ive been looking at Rallon but havent ridden one. The reviews and what owners have shared gives it really high marks. Im concerned it maybe too much bike for 80 percent of my riding. Maybe the Occam or Oiz would be better? Do those bikes with less travel share the same qualities as the Rallon or is the Rallon a totally different animal?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2017
    I rode a 2018 Occam AM for 6 months and loved it. It wasnít standard though, 4 pot brakes, DVO Topaz shock, DVO Diamond forks at 160mm were the main changes. Really great bike that I would probably still have if it was a little bigger.

Iíve ordered a Rallon so Iíll let you know in a few weeks how they compare.

dmo
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by robmac48 View Post
    I rode a 2018 Occam AM for 6 months and loved it. It wasnít standard though, 4 pot brakes, DVO Topaz shock, DVO Diamond forks at 160mm were the main changes. Really great bike that I would probably still have if it was a little bigger.

Iíve ordered a Rallon so Iíll let you know in a few weeks how they compare.
    What made you decide to get a Rallon? What else did the Occam or Rallon compare to? Im looking at the new Devinci Troy or maybe a Spartan 29er if it comes out.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by dmo View Post
    What made you decide to get a Rallon? What else did the Occam or Rallon compare to? Im looking at the new Devinci Troy or maybe a Spartan 29er if it comes out.

Loved the Occam so figured the Rallon would at least be as good but would fit better. Also I wanted to go Push coil front and rear and the Rallon was a bike that this could be achieved with. The Rallon looks awesome, the fact that I could choose the colour I wanted, the geometry made sense, all played a part in my decision to choose one.

I thought about the HTLT but imo that's a stop gap until they release a new one next year. The new Bronson was also considered but I decided to go 29er and when I ordered the new Bronson was just a rumour(and quite a few of my mates have Bronsons). Also considered the Ripmo (no push shock available) and the Yeti 5.5 but the Rallon just appealed more.

mtbr member
    I have a 17 occam. My last bike was a 2011 giant reign, and I had an older trance, and tried a new trance.

Its amazing. Im blown away every time I ride the bike. Its just so, so much fun to ride. The traction feels endless and it just puts a smile on my face. I'm surprised the occam isnt more popular, its the most fun bike ive been on in some time.

Its my do all bike, and it works great.

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I have had just about every single mountain bike that Orbea has made over the last 10 years. They have been making really good bikes for a while.

That being said the new Rallon is their best bike. That bike is mind blowingly good. I should actually say that is was their best bike. My wife just got one of their new Oiz's, wow that bike is basically a 22lb Rallon (and to be ridden like a 22lb Rallon).

The Occam's are super sweet bike's. I had a 2017 Occam and really enjoyed the versatility of it, I raced stage race XC races and did bike park days on it. Great bike, an absolutely amazing bike if you buy a DPX2 for it.
    "The best pace is suicide pace, and today is a good day to die." Steve Prefontaine

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Even the Loki, Laufey now, is an amazing bike. That said I've never ridden anything like the Rallon. It pedals like a 150mm bike, I won't lie about that but it's ability to go from sled to flickable fun machine is uncanny.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Orbea makes a lot of cheap bikes too. Some of them retail in the $500 range eg the MX series

So to answer your question
    Do all Orbeas have the same magic as the Rallon?
    Definitely no!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by LMN View Post
    I have had just about every single mountain bike that Orbea has made over the last 10 years. They have been making really good bikes for a while.

That being said the new Rallon is their best bike. That bike is mind blowingly good. I should actually say that is was their best bike. My wife just got one of their new Oiz's, wow that bike is basically a 22lb Rallon (and to be ridden like a 22lb Rallon).

The Occam's are super sweet bike's. I had a 2017 Occam and really enjoyed the versatility of it, I raced stage race XC races and did bike park days on it. Great bike, an absolutely amazing bike if you buy a DPX2 for it.
    Hey dude. Im looking at getting one of the new Oiz. Did she get the new 2019 model. Was it the 100mm or the 120mm TR? Its the TR i'm looking at. I'd be keen to hear your / her thoughts on how it rides

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by olibluegoat View Post
    Hey dude. Im looking at getting one of the new Oiz. Did she get the new 2019 model. Was it the 100mm or the 120mm TR? Its the TR i'm looking at. I'd be keen to hear your / her thoughts on how it rides
    It is a 2019 100mm model.

It has taken her a bit to dial the bike in. She got the bike as she was coming back from a broken arm. Although she has been riding it for 6 weeks, it is only in the last three weeks that she has been really able to put the bike through the paces.

Seems to be working well for her. Everything is skewed by the fact that she riding racing 3 months after breaking her humorous in half. Hard to give really good feedback on a bike when you are getting your confidence back.
    "The best pace is suicide pace, and today is a good day to die." Steve Prefontaine

TRANCER
    I'm still on my 2014 Occam with a few upgrades. Before that i had a 2009 Giant Trance and a 2012 Trance 29er. I loved both bikes but i think I'm sticking to Orbea. The handling IMO is just spectacular. The fit and the feel of the bike itself was perfect. I use it for XC and Trail mostly but did most of Moab a couple times on it with no problems. Next year 2020 is new bike year for me so i can't wait to see what Orbea comes out with. If the line up stays the same i think the Occam 29er TR will be it. Don't think about it i say. I never heard anyone complain about an Orbea 😁