2021 Occam- Mtbr.com

Thread: 2021 Occam

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

2021 Occam

Iím ready to buy an Occam (H10/Fox36/DPX2). But seeing as this is about the time Orbea releases their next years models (thatís what Iíve been told) I was thinking of waiting to see what would be on the 2021. Iím not in a hurry.
    Anyone want to speculate what the changes might be?
    Fox 2021 forks is really the only thing I can think of.

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I would not be surprised if the bikes shipped out of the factory already have the 2021 forks on them. Orbea is pretty consistent in their part specs. I suspect that the only significant difference will be in price.
    "The best pace is suicide pace, and today is a good day to die." Steve Prefontaine

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by LMN View Post
    I would not be surprised if the bikes shipped out of the factory already have the 2021 forks on them. Orbea is pretty consistent in their part specs. I suspect that the only significant difference will be in price.
    You think there will be an increase? What would be your guess based on oases years?

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Inflation is a reality. Prices are always increasing! I suspect that given the current world climate the US dollar is not going to be going up in value.

Not that I am expert on this, but I did stay in a Holiday Inn once.
    "The best pace is suicide pace, and today is a good day to die." Steve Prefontaine

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by LMN View Post
    I asked the very same to someone involved with Orbea bikes when I asked about any changes for 2021 as my local dealer told me to hold off until Orbea dealer update mid july

He said "the launch cycle tends to be spec and color changes yearly, slight update every two years and new bike every four. Iím not expecting any radical Occam changes."

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    BTW the 2020ís do not ship with 2021 forks. Confirmed from Orbea.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Looks like the new Orbeaís will be announced next week.

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    Heard rumors about new carbon layup in hi-end models and sadly, aprox 10% higher prices to the whole offer

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by muddy_pl View Post
    Heard rumors about new carbon layup in hi-end models and sadly, aprox 10% higher prices to the whole offer
    Did you hear 10% across the board or just for the new carbon layup models?

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    Sounded like average price increase. Hi-end builds probably will be affected more. If that's true, I hope distributors will compensate price a little.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I was hoping the new Occam was going to be announce today but I guess not. Maybe sometime this week?

mtbr member
    Jul 2020
    Where about's are you guys based?

I've just ordered a new Occam from my local bike store in the UK.
    I didn't know about the release date and was happy with the 2020.
    When my order was going through the guy in the shop said "oh, its the 2021 model you'll be getting" he showed me the Orbea webpage that had confidential written over all the images, so the store must have had a log in for retailers.

Spec wise it seemed to be the same, the cost was £2,099 instead of £1,999 for the 2020 model.

I believe the colours are the same (Orange and Black)

I'm hoping Orbea will be releasing more info soon, as I cant find anything else online, I just stumbled across this thread!

It should be here and built on the 15th-20th Aug, so I'll let you guys know when it arrives

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    Great. When I asked last week, guy said to me that Orbea central in Spain is sold out and I need to wait till october-november, maybe next year. Good news that your order estimation is August. Hopefully carbon builds gonna arrive in same time. I started considering YT Izzo.
    So I need to contact my lbs immediately

Maybe only Oiz has got updated carbon layup. But little price increase is a fact.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    So Iíve just ordered an Occam M10 online for home delivery in the UK (I donít have a local dealer and didnít want to travel unnecessarily at the moment). The website said in stock so hoping delivery wouldnít be too long.
    Havenít had any confirmatory email yet but my online account confirms the order and gives an estimated shipping date of 31st December, 2100.
    80 years seems like an excessive wait but at least I have plenty of time to change my mind if the 2021 model has any significant difference...

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    Haha
    Can you paste link to this shop, where M10 was available?
    Today I've contacted with my lbs and they said no idea when 2021 will be in stock, but confirmed that production start is planned for second half of August. Unfortunately custom builds will delay it even more.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I just ordered online with Orbea directly
    Thatís available in the UK (and Europe I guess). Donít know if itís a possibility in North America.
    There is now only limited availability on the website but they had the model and size I wanted. They have now removed the MyO option from the M10 which was what I really wanted but not a deal breaker. Figured if I ordered now it wouldnít be too long a wait. Hope that plan works out!

mtbr member
    Jul 2020
    Hi,
    Watching this with interest. I ordered a Occam M30 Eagle XL via a bike shop (uk) about a month ago. No mention to me of 2021models though. Waiting on a confirmation delivery date and have watched the orbea web site change availability dates from August to October to next year to unavailable.

Update:
    Dealer has said delivery has been pushed back by a week or two and doesn't know anything about 2021 models.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by spookyzeus; 2 Weeks Ago at 03:20 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Any online retailers selling the Occam h20? bikebling.com says all occams are in stock in all sized but that doesn't seem possible. btw, upgrading from a 2001 Kona roast I bought used here in '02

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by eleazar View Post
    Any online retailers selling the Occam h20? bikebling.com says all occams are in stock in all sized but that doesn't seem possible. btw, upgrading from a 2001 Kona roast I bought used here in '02
    Depending on what size you're looking for jensonusa.com might have a few left. I checked a few weeks ago so they might all be gone. I'm just waiting for the '21s to come out and hopefully have some inventory to choose from.

mtbr member
    Jul 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by eleazar View Post
    Only Occams I see on the web site are the TR model, aren't these the old version?

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    So my M10 order has been cancelled ☹️
    No Fox 36 available with Orbea. They could still do the M10 with a 34 but Iím pretty sure I want a 36.
    Going to call in to a dealer thatís not too far away from me as they have a demo M10 that might be for sale soon

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by spookyzeus View Post
    Only Occams I see on the web site are the TR model, aren't these the old version?
    Yeah the TR is the old one. Just did a quick search and they must be sold out of the H20.

https://www.jensonusa.com/search?q=occam

mtbr member
    Jul 2020
    So not sure what the issue is with the Occam. Do you think its just the hugh increase in demand in all bikes combined with the whole Covid delays? Or do you think they're about to release a new 2021 version and they just running down/ stopping production of the current version, it doesn't seem that old?

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I would be really surprised if there was a full new model.
    Suspect they will make some minor changes, maybe including an update to fork model year?
    Although the email I received from Orbea said they didnít know when they would have Fox 36 forks available

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    I think they were too pessimistic about bike sales during/after pandemic and they haven't ordered from suppliers much. So they must wait for 2021 supplies, like suspension, wheels etc. I heard that base colors will stay the same.
    Thats my 3cents
    I want new 36 up front, but don't want to wait more than 1-2 months. If availability will be delayed significantly I'll go for Izzo, which looks very similar on geo charts.

Class Clown
    That sucks, they told me mine was being assembled and would ship this week, I got Fox36, but who knows. I ordered late june

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Sounds like youíre ok
    I only ordered last week and I got an email from Orbea stating the issue
    I get the impression that they wouldnít have sent anything confirming assembly unless they knew everything was ok
    Post up some pics when yours arrives!
    Did you get a regular colour scheme or a MyO special?

Class Clown
    I got an M30 so just the regular grey paint. Upgraded suspension, brakes and tires. Probably would have been worth it to get the M10 in hindsight. I plan on swapping out the wheels. Custom paint would be nice but I figured it would be faster to get stock.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Sounds like youíve been through exactly the same thought process as me!
    Iím now thinking about switching to a stock M30 with a plan to move the forks and wheels over to my Laufey and upgrade the Occam in a few months
    Going to check out a demo M10 first though

Class Clown
    Occam has been dispatched. Placed an order with Nobl for some carbon hoops.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

noice

nice wheels
    Nobl built me a pair of tr36's on hydras and they've been bomber for well over a year. Love 'em and the Occam
    Enjoy!
    what tires you gonna run?

Class Clown
    I saw them in your picture with the root beer fork 👍

Went with TR37 and dt350. I got the minion dhf/dhr through Orbea so I'll give those a go. I was thinking of setting up some less aggressive tires on the stock wheelset for easier rides.

But so many choices, lately I've been liking Maxxis and Schwalbe.

mtbr member
    Jul 2020
    So I'm a little confused, Orbea are telling me the M30 eagle has A XD freehub body on it. The bike comes with sram nx and i thought that doesn't fit the XD freehub only GX and above, am I wrong?

Class Clown
    sounds right, pg-1230 cassette is for traditional splined freehub

mtbr member
    Jul 2020
    Just noticed the Occam appears to have disappeared from the Orbea website?

mtbr member
    Jul 2020
    Forget that it's back now...not sure what they're doing

mtbr member
    Jul 2020
    Looks like some of the specs may have changed. Can see different brakes listed as default for the M30 eagle, not looked at the other models in the Occam range.

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    Probably related to tomorrow premiere of MY21.

Edit: Yep, I see pictures with updated suspension from Fox.
    And SLX cassette instead XT in M10 .

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Looks like the new models are posted. The prices have changed for the aluminum models and the specs are changed slightly.

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    So rumors becomes fact, 8-10% price increase, and little lower spec

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    M10 used to be 5499, didn't it? Now $5399 with an SLX cassette and a remote lockout. That's new.

mtbr member
    Jul 2020
    Looks like in the UK the price has increased £200 accross all models

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    Maybe US prices are different, in EU, on polish site, e.g. H10 used to be at 15k PLN, 2021 is for 16.6k PLN. Every bike is more expensive at least 1k PLN, with lower spec.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    In the US the base prices are the same (at least for the M30 but I think for all models). Options/specs have changed.

Has anyone confirmed that the Fox 36 is the 2021 model?

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    sad times I was waiting for the 2021 refresh too. Not sure what i want to do now.

mtbr member
    Aug 2020
    Is the M10 really that bad though?

Looks like a small price reduction, Fox 2021 fork (can't see if shock is upgraded), SLX cassette and Deore(?) chain, and Fox transfer dropper options (which I would not go for anyway, as it's an IFP dropper). I think if they were to cut the price anywhere I would prefer it on a wear item such as a cassette or chain.

Looks like additional wheel options too (was the raceface r30 always available)? DHX2 shock is now default on an M10, as well as the race face handlebar upgrade is now also a default.

All that's left is the actual 2021 announcement and the my-o custom option to return and I might be sold. Still need to go to a shop to check my size though.

The only downside is that it looks like it's basically a delivery (in EU) between Sept and Nov, maybe Dec or Jan for custom paint!

Edit: looks like only the M-LTD picture has the 2021 fork...it's unknown from the M10 picture if the fox 36 upgrade is the 2021 fork also.

Class Clown
    Haven't seen the official announcement yet so maybe they are still setting things up

I would imagine the parts being changed due to availability

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by mishmash- View Post
    Is the M10 really that bad though?

Looks like a small price reduction, Fox 2021 fork (can't see if shock is upgraded), SLX cassette and Deore(?) chain, and Fox transfer dropper options (which I would not go for anyway, as it's an IFP dropper). I think if they were to cut the price anywhere I would prefer it on a wear item such as a cassette or chain.

Looks like additional wheel options too (was the raceface r30 always available)? DHX2 shock is now default on an M10, as well as the race face handlebar upgrade is now also a default.

All that's left is the actual 2021 announcement and the my-o custom option to return and I might be sold. Still need to go to a shop to check my size though.

The only downside is that it looks like it's basically a delivery (in EU) between Sept and Nov, maybe Dec or Jan for custom paint!

Edit: looks like only the M-LTD picture has the 2021 fork...it's unknown from the M10 picture if the fox 36 upgrade is the 2021 fork also.

Carbon handlebar and DPX2 used to be default on M10. Looks like they dropped carbon DT wheels in favor of RF.

Except cheaper chain and cassette, there is also cheaper saddle, which used to be on 2020 M30.
    For reference:
    https://99spokes.com/bikes/orbea/2020/occam-m10

Interesting that US prices has drop little, but EU grown significantly. Maybe US dollar depreciation has came too late xD

Btw. As I know, all build kits will be updated to 2021 suspension.

Orders should officially start tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I was planning on getting an M30 with some upgrades. But now when I price both the M30 and the M10 out there is only a $255usd difference. It is nice that there is now an option to upgrade the Wheelset to M1650ís.
    I had a weird spill last week and it looks like I have a grade 3 sprain on my ankle so Iíll be off the bike for a while. I guess that gives me time to see if the MYO paint comes back.

mtbr member
    Jul 2020
    Speaking for the H20, raceface wheels, bars, stem and cranks were all upgrades over the stock Orbea parts. Slight upgrade in brakes. I'm fine with the H20.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    MYO custom paint is now available for the M10.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Just spoke to my local shop about 2021 models. They have several on order, but wonít arrive for a couple of months. Iím really bummed. I was hoping they would be available by the end of the month. Seems weird to put new bikes up on the website if the dealers wonít have them for customers. Oh well.

mtbr member
    Jul 2020
    Yeah it's interesting, do they normally make a big announcement when they change the specs and price?
    Must admit I ordered my M30 eagle mid June, my UK dealer has told me the due date is around the start of September, slightly pushed back from the end of August, only a week or two delay. My assumption is I'll get the old spec as the new wont be available until the end of year. That said I'm worried it won't show up at all

Class Clown
    I ordered my M30 end of June and it was just delivered at the shop today, hopefully can pick it up this weekend. Supplies are low all around and it's causing delays.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

2021 Occam

I started out wanting a H10. At some point that shifted to an M30. Now with the new options Iíve bumped it up to the M10. Now the hard decision... what color and matte or gloss.
    My current pick is mouse gray with red lettering in matte.

mtbr member
    Jul 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by dundundata View Post
    I ordered my M30 end of June and it was just delivered at the shop today, hopefully can pick it up this weekend. Supplies are low all around and it's causing delays.
    Nice

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    I ordered another XT build with the new colors and a 36
    As soon as it gets here my month old blue/orange will be up for sale

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2021 Occam-green-occam.jpg  

2021 Occam-occam-hh-new-green-white.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Nice color!
    This is what I was thinking. M10 w/ a 36...2021 Occam-annotation-2020-08-05-141538.png

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    bike is so killer with a 36 at 160

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHammheaddude View Post
    bike is so killer with a 36 at 160
    Do the new 36's go to 160? I thought they were up to 150 only and higher than that was now the 38.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    just changing out the airspring
    when I bought mine last month I had my shop swap out the 34 for 160 he had and sold the 140 for me..

I also put I9 carbon enduros on it!
    They will be moved over to my new one and the stock wheels and suspension from the new one moved over to the one I am selling (factory 150)2021 Occam-occam-i9-issector.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHammheaddude View Post
    I ordered another XT build with the new colors and a 36
    As soon as it gets here my month old blue/orange will be up for sale

I was tinkering with that one too Ended up with few compositions and bit of headache. Ended up with electric orange hehe.

Class Clown
    That orange color on the H10 looks really good in person.

mtbr member
    Aug 2020
    Tried to confirm on orbea's insta that the suspension is Fox 2021...no reply!

mtbr member
    Jul 2020
    Hi,
    Anyone know if the Sram G2 RSC or Code RSC brakes will fit the Carbon frame ok, not sure if they need adapters or not?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mishmash- View Post
    Tried to confirm on orbea's insta that the suspension is Fox 2021...no reply!
    I ordered M10 Occam 2020 on 31.5.2020 thru a local dealer and got Fox 36 Grip2 2021 fork on it (not sure for the DPX2 but I think it's the same).

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Hey just about to put an order in for an M10, super exited!
    Just wondering if it's worthwhile upgrading the wheels from the DT Swiss XM-1650 Spline 30c TLR to the Race Face TURBINE-R30.

I can't seem to find any info on the DT Swiss and they seem to be a similar weight.
    Anyone have any thoughts?

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Iím about to order also. On a similar question. Are the 1650ís jbend or straight pull? Center lock or 6 bolt?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2014
    The XM-1650 are straight-pull center lock, compatible with the 36T or 54T ratchet upgrades. I personally consider the ratchet upgrade to be necessary, so call the true cost difference $150. In the spirit of being not helpful at all, doesn't seem you can really go wrong either way

Star swap is very easy, but you do have to open the hub on arrival. Do you want 120pt engagement out of the box? I'd probably have gone with the RF set had it been available when I ordered.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Thanks for that. Never had center lock before but I do have a 54t star ratchet in my current set that Iíll swap in as soon as I get it.
    I just assumed I would have the bike delivered to my house but looking into it I see they only ship to dealers in the US.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by Copeidge View Post
    Where about's are you guys based?

I've just ordered a new Occam from my local bike store in the UK.
    I didn't know about the release date and was happy with the 2020.
    When my order was going through the guy in the shop said "oh, its the 2021 model you'll be getting" he showed me the Orbea webpage that had confidential written over all the images, so the store must have had a log in for retailers.

Spec wise it seemed to be the same, the cost was £2,099 instead of £1,999 for the 2020 model.

I believe the colours are the same (Orange and Black)

I'm hoping Orbea will be releasing more info soon, as I cant find anything else online, I just stumbled across this thread!

It should be here and built on the 15th-20th Aug, so I'll let you guys know when it arrives

Little update from me on my H30...

Bike shop rang at the weekend "erm yes sir you bike has been delayed... it should be here in March"

me "as in 2021?!"

Bike shop "yep."

me "splendid"

So I've cancelled my order and got my deposit back. I have looked at other brands but for the price point nothing really is coming close in terms of what you get for your money/design etc.

Reluctant to be defeated I went on the Orbea website and search for other stockist - after speaking to around 30 bike shops all were saying there's not chance before March.

The last shop I called had one in, result!
    but was it black and was it medium...

Ass it turns out the stars were aligned, it was both black and a medium so its currently getting built and I'm picking it up in a couple of weeks

If theres anything I can advise from my hunt, pick up the phone and spend a morning calling as many places as you can. This particular shop had the Occam listed as Out of stock online.

good luck

mtbr member
    Jul 2020
    Little update from me on my H30... (post number #12)

Bike shop rang at the weekend "erm yes sir you bike has been delayed... it should be here in March"

me "as in 2021?!"

Bike shop "yep."

me "splendid"

So I've cancelled my order and got my deposit back. I have looked at other brands but for the price point nothing really is coming close in terms of what you get for your money/design etc.

Reluctant to be defeated I went on the Orbea website and search for other stockist - after speaking to around 30 bike shops all were saying there's not chance before March.

The last shop I called had one in, result!
    but was it black and was it medium...

Ass it turns out the stars were aligned, it was both black and a medium so its currently getting built and I'm picking it up in a couple of weeks

If theres anything I can advise from my hunt, pick up the phone and spend a morning calling as many places as you can. This particular shop had the Occam listed as Out of stock online.

good luck

mtbr member
    Jul 2020
    Blimey....i've almost resigned my self to the fact I'm waiting 3months to have the order cancelled anytime soon. Fingers crossed I guess

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Most likely a silly question, but I'm looking at the H20 and was wondering how the upgrades work. Upgrading to the DT Swiss M1900 wheels for an extra $250 seems like a well worth addition. Is this something shops can offer or is it only when ordering direct through Orbea?

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by bvachon29 View Post
    Most likely a silly question, but I'm looking at the H20 and was wondering how the upgrades work. Upgrading to the DT Swiss M1900 wheels for an extra $250 seems like a well worth addition. Is this something shops can offer or is it only when ordering direct through Orbea?
    You'll have to work with a shop to get the custom order in with Orbea, unless you get lucky and a shop happened to build the exact bike you want and stock it Don't think you can order from Orbea yourself.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    That's odd on the orbea site you can order it there and it asks what shop to send it to?

mtbr member
    Jul 2020
    Yep orbea will deliver to your door or a dealer and you can customise your order as you wish....but you'll have to wait until the new bikes ship and that might not be until December or early next year. If you want one before that it seems to be a question of ringng around and finding what size and spec that dealers have in stock.
    I'm praying I have one of the last shipments of the old stock reserved....

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    I think it should work both ways if Orbea is selling bikes directly in your country. If not, probably you must talk with your lbs to change configuration, but this gonna extend delivery time.
    In my country Orbea don't have online store, so I've chose MyO on Orbea website and configured bike. On the last step I've chose which shop will take care of the order. Next I've received order summary on my e-mail. Few hours later chosen shop has contacted with me.
    Pretty nice and simple, until my order has been delayed to late November

Class Clown
    I don't think I had the option to ship direct only to a dealer

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Has anyone ridden both the aluminum and carbon versions of the Occam? I just found out I may be able to stretch my new bike budget to the M30.

Was wondering if anyone would be able to speak to the main advantages of the carbon frame. Assuming lower weight and increased stiffness but what's that translate to in the seat?