2020 first Occam Ride impressions- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007

2020 first Occam Ride impressions

Did anyone here had a change to ride the 2020 model and share some experiences?

Currently riding a 2015 Rallon and considering to switch over the new Occam. I expect the Occam to be burly enough to hit some alpine trails and it to be a better climber compared to the Rallon.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    I have ridden the new Occam for a couple of weeks now. I have not tried the Rallon, so I can't compare them. But my first impressions with the new Occam is very good. It is a very agile and playful bike.

The steep seattube angle give you a good position for climbing. But despite the long reach the effective top tube lenght is not very long, so if you are between two sizes you should upsize.

I have the M10 model and it comes with very good components all around.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    What are your thoughts on the Occam fitting tall riders 6'4"+?

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I demo'd a 2020 Occam and bought a 2019 Occam TR (it was a closeout).

I think it is an incredible bike.

My issue with almost all of the 2020 bikes (regardless of brand) was that the seat tube angles are getting steeper and bars are getting wider - this puts you more over the stem. The Occam had this but it felt far more natural than other bikes.

Overall I have been wildly happy with my 2019 Occam, best bike I've ever owned (and I have owned many). I have no reservations and would recommend this brand to anyone at this point. My only gripe were the aluminum bars (replaced with carbon) and the bolt-on through axle in the rear. Considering changing that out to a QR because I hate having to deal with a tool if I don't need to.

I am around 5' 10" or 5' 11" and the large fits me like a glove.
    Austin Mountain Biking and worldwide travel pictures:

http://www.austinbike.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I did a road ride test on the new Occam. I'm 6'4" 200 lbs. Will be taking it out for a 2 day demo next week. I've narrowed it down to the new Tallboy, SB130 or Occam. The Occam seamed to pedal very well for 140 mm bike. It felt just as efficient as the TB but with way more travel. The Occam is also very light for it's class. The problem is that there are not many Orbea dealers in my area and Jenson charges full retail. I did find another dealer in San Diego, but they won't discount either. I'm not paying more for an Occam over an SB130. The resale on Orbea is not good. Yeti resale is outstanding. I can get a bigger discount on the Yeti or Santa Cruz from my local shops. I'll post my demo review next week.

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    This bike was near the top of my list along with the Ripmo AF, but the Pinkbike review really damned it with faint praise and portrayed it as not especially surefooted on the downhills. I'm curious to see what Bike magazine's round-up will have to say about it since the geo and spec appear spot on for me.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Check out Pinkbikes first ride review on the Occam. He loved it. They contradicted themselves with the latest review. I think this might be my next bike. Itís the lightest in its class. Lighter than the new Tallboy but with way more travel. Demo before buying Ripmo. I sold my Ripmo after I tested the Occam, new Tallboy and SB130. If weight isnít an issue the Ripmo is a good descender.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    I demoed the Occam in Float 36 / DPX2 form at Outerbike this year and loved it. It's capable while remaining precise, efficient, and playful...it's the first demo, of ~11 over a few years, that clicked with me and convinced me it was time to move on from my 2015 Troy.

Quote Originally Posted by ButteMTB View Post
    This bike was near the top of my list along with the Ripmo AF, but the Pinkbike review really damned it with faint praise and portrayed it as not especially surefooted on the downhills. I'm curious to see what Bike magazine's round-up will have to say about it since the geo and spec appear spot on for me.
    I did demo the RipMo. It was enjoyable but still just too much bike. The "damning" review is subtitled "the most trail bike trail bike" and has lines like this:

Quote Originally Posted by pinkbike
    If there was a bonus side-hit of any kind, I found myself doing it more on the Occam than any of the three other bikes.

The reality is that the Occam is probably one of the best trail bikes for most riders and most places.
    Exactly.

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    Iíll be curious to learn the difference in weight between the highest spec aluminum Occam and the Ripmo AF. The latter will certainly be more capable, but if the former can do everything I need it to and is 1.5-2lbs lighter, thatíd make a lot of sense.

I also wonder if the ultra lightweight spec of Pinkbikeís Occam might have contributed to it feeling more skittish on the technical stuff where a heavier bike might plow through more confidently.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ButteMTB View Post
    Iíll be curious to learn the difference in weight between the highest spec aluminum Occam and the Ripmo AF. The latter will certainly be more capable, but if the former can do everything I need it to and is 1.5-2lbs lighter, thatíd make a lot of sense.

I also wonder if the ultra lightweight spec of Pinkbikeís Occam might have contributed to it feeling more skittish on the technical stuff where a heavier bike might plow through more confidently.
    I have the H20 and out of box weight was nearly 34 lbs for size large. Stock wheels are very heavy. Ill be switching out the wheels and NX for XT 12 speed (should have went with the Shimano Build) which should save some weight.
    I rode a black diamond trail on both the occam and my HD4. I will say the HD4 handled the rocky steeps and techy sections with more confidence. I felt more comfortable and was able to clear things easier with the HD4. On my home trails the Occam is great and handles the smaller tech and speed very very well. I am thinking of trying a coil on the rear of the Occam as I appreciate a cushier bike. The occam has been my go to bike where my HD4 was my only bike. If things are going to get rough Ill probably take the HD4.

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by The Yeti Viking View Post
    The steep seattube angle give you a good position for climbing. But despite the long reach the effective top tube lenght is not very long, so if you are between two sizes you should upsize.
    Any short riders in the room riding a medium? I find it odd that @ 5'-6ish I fall right dab in the middle of a medium specs.
    Ripley V1 XC/Gravel Adventure rig
    NINER Rip9 RDO(future...)
    Salsa Timberjack

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Occam Sizing

Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    Any short riders in the room riding a medium? I find it odd that @ 5'-6ish I fall right dab in the middle of a medium specs.
    I'm 5'8, coming off large sb100 and medium ripley V4
    sat on the large Occam and it felt great. Got a Large M10 Myo with a 36 coming end of Feb.

5'6 should fit nicely on a medium

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by velez3000 View Post
    I'm 5'8, coming off large sb100 and medium ripley V4
    sat on the large Occam and it felt great. Got a Large M10 Myo with a 36 coming end of Feb.

5'6 should fit nicely on a medium
    Thanks for the input. Have a new med v4 frame myself, unbuilt. Gathering parts for build but thinking going Occam instead to bump up the travel gap abit more from my v1 Ripley which I am keeping.

Was on a med v2 5010 for awhile but being on the starting point for height that bike ended up not working out. On a small Devinci Django now and that feels abit cramped. So I'm hoping being in the middle of chart on med Occams sizing it may workout.
    Ripley V1 XC/Gravel Adventure rig
    NINER Rip9 RDO(future...)
    Salsa Timberjack