2017 Occam TR??- Mtbr.com

Thread: 2017 Occam TR??

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

2017 Occam TR??

I'm in the market for a new bike and I am really liking the Occam TR H10. The bike specs out better than a fuel ex or tallboy but theres not much talk about it. Anyone got a ride report or a comparison between it and the Fuel or Tallboy?

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I have a 2016 TR H30, paid about $2300 for it, which was below the list price. Looks to be about the same frame, fork, shock (not sure about the Kashima finish) as the 2017 H10. The other components on the 2017 H10 are a little bit higher level. I almost bought a 2016 Trek Fuel EX (EX8, I think), and would have, except that there wasn't one in my size available at the one Trek shop that was willing to give good pricing. Then I found the Orbea, which overall seemed to be a slightly better value than the Trek. I've been happy with the Orbea. I've posted on it in other Orbea threads here in the past couple of months. The rear suspension can bottom out at times, and the wheels flex a lot, but otherwise, it's been a great bike. The wheels on the 2017 H10 are DT swiss and are probably several notches better than the wheels I have, by the way.

My feeling from my shopping a year ago was that Trek, Specialized, Orbea, and Santa Cruz had pretty comparable offerings in terms of geometry, features, components, quality. I would have been happy with any of those bikes--Fuel EX8, Specialized Stumpjumper or Camber, etc. I did feel that Orbea offered a better value, at that moment in time, anyway. And I believe the bigger decision wasn't which brand to buy, but rather whether to go 29 or 27.5+. I fretted over that for a long time.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Paramount3, thanks for the response. Like you said the 3 bikes look very similar in geo. Looks like the Occam with the better specs would sell very well. My LBS sells both Trek and Orbea so I will be able to ride both of them when the time comes to buy. Tallboy would be harder to get my hands on. Can you add some volume reducers in your rear shock to help with the bottom out?

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Volume reducers have been suggested. I'm too lazy to make any changes. The bike is fine as it is. I use full travel but since I don't really jump, I don't have harsh bottom-out events.

https://www.bikerumor.com/2014/10/24...-i-bottom-out/

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Hey, Thanks for the info! Forgot to ask but how good of a climber is the bike? Also how about the weight?

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I think mine was about 30 lbs +/-1 lb before I added the dropper post. The frame, fork, and shock will dictate the minimum weight possible, then it's up to your component mix. I would guess that the 2017 H10 will be lighter than my bike.

I don't worry too much about weight. The balance is good--it's easy to lift the front and also to bunny hop. Pedaling is efficient, not a lot of bobbing or anything like that, climbs well on rocky terrain. I don't bother locking out unless I'm on pavement (which is actually pretty often), but when I do lock out it's a good firm lockout, fine for out of the saddle roadie-type climbing on pavement. I routinely do mixed terrain rides with 2000-3000 vertical feet of climbing and I don't consider the bike a liability.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Thanks for the info. Need to go demo both and make my decision.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Any idea of maximum tire clearance? Online says 2.3" but usually can push it past these...and they come with "2.4" Ardents.

Bruh
    I picked up a 2016 TR M30 on closeout this winter - and I've been absolutely loving it.

I looked at many other bikes, including Santa Cruz and Trek... and nobody really touched the value or performance of the Orbea.