2014 Orbea Alma SS- Mtbr.com
    Big Damn Hero

2014 Orbea Alma SS

So some of you may be aware of the trials and tribulations I went through with my beloved 2011 Orbea Alma SS. The bike was stolen out of my friends garage and about a month later we found it at a local pawn shop, completely unscathed. After waiting for the police to finish their investigation, issue warrants, etc... I got my bike back about 6 weeks after it was stolen. I rode the snot out of it for the next few months then in September after a hard ride I noticed the frame had a crack in it. Over the next two months or so I went through the frame replacement process and got a new frame. Unfortunately Orbea changed the sizing on their frames and they wound up sending a L instead of an XL. So after another few weeks I got my new frame and built up another single speed. Last weekend I was able to take it out for it's maiden voyage... a 6 hour endurance race: The Terra Firma Dirty Dozen. I geared 2:1 knowing that it was going to be a tough gear to push for 5+ hours but when I got to the race I found out they made a last minute change to the course and added in a fairly short but very painful fireroad climb. At that point I knew my gearing was a terrible choice but I didn't have any larger sprockets with me so I just grinned and beared it!

Well after 5:41 of riding (and maybe a TINY bit of walking) I crossed the finish line in 3rd place in SS and had fallen deeply in love with the new ride. Orbea made some significant improvements between the 2011 and 2014 frames and they made a huge difference. The bike rides like a dream even though I have to use a Singulator with this frame. The geometry is great and surprisingly comfortable for such a long ride. All in all, it sucked having to go through the series of ordeals I did... but the new bike is badass and rides like a dream!

Here it is cleaned up after the race.

2014 Orbea Alma SS-14orbea.jpg

On a side note, two weeks ago the bike thief was sentenced to two years in jail. My buddy had security cameras on his garage which caught the thief and working back with the PD and pawn shop we were able to accurately identify him. After the warrant was issued for his arrest it was just a matter of time. Once he screwed up, they ran his warrants and brought him in! Justice was served.
    Orbea Alma
    Ritchey Road Logic
    Surly Karate Monkey
    Diamondback Haanjo
    Specialized Epic Marathon

KgB
    SNGLSPD
    good story
    I've been inside too long.