18/19 Occam TR feedback- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2010

18/19 Occam TR feedback

Looking at a stable mate for my Ibis HD4. Wanting something with less travel and better climber for longer trips. I would like something that can handle some rowdy trails when needed. I like to smash but understand with less travel comes less cush. I have been looking at some 18/19 Occam Tr h10 and like the looks and spec. Wondering if anyone has feedback on this model. Im 5'11.5" and thinking L but the longer XL looks interesting with the longer reach.
    Any help is appreciated.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I bought a 2019 Occam TR. It is a large and I am ~5-10 or ~5-11 depending on the measurement (that happens when you get older). This bike fits me like a glove, it is incredible.

Was never a fan of Orbea and would have completely ignored them if I was not getting such a great deal on a closeout. Turned out to be the best bike I've ever owned. Can't say enough good things about it. Have had it for a month now and that included a trip to Bentonville where I hammered on it. I am more of an XC rider than a big air guy, and this bike was perfect. Could not be happier.

If I were you I'd try both frames; if you want more reach there are other ways to get there (i.e. stem, bars) but once you buy the wrong frame, there is no easy way to remedy that situation.
    Austin Mountain Biking and worldwide travel pictures:

http://www.austinbike.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I am more of a reckless rider on the dh and like to just go. What is holding me back on the Occam TR is it's ability on the downs. Trails around me aren't super rocky but do have them scattered about. Plus i'm a bigger rider that has cracked a few bikes in my day. Currently i am torn between the Occam TR and the new Cannondale Habit 3.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I found the Occam TR just sucks up the ledges and drops (18-24") like they weren't even there. I was far more careful on picking my lines with my older bike, this one is just smooth and fast.
    Austin Mountain Biking and worldwide travel pictures:

http://www.austinbike.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I was looking at either an '18 H10 or '19 H30. How is the frame stiffness? I cracked a '15 Rallon chainstay so worried a bit as the replacement took over a month...that and Im around 230lbs lol, Also, how far can you get a seatpost into the seat tube?...wodering if i can get a 150 or 170mm seatpost.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by meSSican View Post
    I was looking at either an '18 H10 or '19 H30. How is the frame stiffness? I cracked a '15 Rallon chainstay so worried a bit as the replacement took over a month...that and Im around 230lbs lol, Also, how far can you get a seatpost into the seat tube?...wodering if i can get a 150 or 170mm seatpost.
    I am on an Occam AM so not the exact bike but, the frames are almost identical. I am running a 150 dropper at 5'7" tall...If you are not short like me, the post should be no problem at all. The frame also feels plenty stiff but, I weigh quite a bit less than you...The alloy (H series) bikes don't use the flex stays the carbon bikes do so that should make them a bit stronger as well...

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by yarbrough462 View Post
    I am on an Occam AM so not the exact bike but, the frames are almost identical. I am running a 150 dropper at 5'7" tall...If you are not short like me, the post should be no problem at all. The frame also feels plenty stiff but, I weigh quite a bit less than you...The alloy (H series) bikes don't use the flex stays the carbon bikes do so that should make them a bit stronger as well...
    Which 150mm dropper? I just got a Medium 2019 Occam TR on crazy $1499 closeout. Wondering if Brand-X 150mm will fit. I'm also 5'7".

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleIPA View Post
    Which 150mm dropper? I just got a Medium 2019 Occam TR on crazy $1499 closeout. Wondering if Brand-X 150mm will fit. I'm also 5'7".
    Fox Transfer. Fits fine for me.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Thanks!!