Pompetamine build- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 39 of 39
  1. #1
    since 4/10/2009
    Reputation: Harold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    29,044

    Pompetamine build

    I have a good bit of the parts together now to post about my Pompetamine build. I have been collecting parts for a few weeks now for this bike. I won't finish for a few weeks still, but the best parts arrived today: frame, fork, handlebar, headset, chain tugger, seat collar.

    I was surprised with a package that was 10 days early (and no customs charge) via USPS Express Mail.

    <a href="https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/6164708762/" title="On-One Pompetamine build by mtbikernate, on Flickr"><img src="https://farm7.static.flickr.com/6164/6164708762_e049f94c8e.jpg" width="500" height="333" alt="On-One Pompetamine build"></a>

    <a href="https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/6164709572/" title="On-One Pompetamine build by mtbikernate, on Flickr"><img src="https://farm7.static.flickr.com/6178/6164709572_2a2b144c9b.jpg" width="500" height="333" alt="On-One Pompetamine build"></a>

    <a href="https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/6164710384/" title="On-One Pompetamine build by mtbikernate, on Flickr"><img src="https://farm7.static.flickr.com/6153/6164710384_f554002fd2.jpg" width="500" height="333" alt="On-One Pompetamine build"></a>

    I am opting for Mungo bars on this build.

    <a href="https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/6164711384/" title="On-One Pompetamine build by mtbikernate, on Flickr"><img src="https://farm7.static.flickr.com/6178/6164711384_c5449d407d.jpg" width="500" height="333" alt="On-One Pompetamine build"></a>

    I snagged a glow-in-the-dark frame. Should be nice for commuting.

    Earlier I had picked up a Shimano R-553 crankset and BB.

    <a href="https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/6164793164/" title="On-One Pompetamine build by mtbikernate, on Flickr"><img src="https://farm7.static.flickr.com/6176/6164793164_35570a7d14.jpg" width="500" height="333" alt="On-One Pompetamine build"></a>

    and some BB7's (mtn, for h-bar/lever versatility)

    <a href="https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/6164794334/" title="On-One Pompetamine build by mtbikernate, on Flickr"><img src="https://farm7.static.flickr.com/6173/6164794334_5aaa33e699.jpg" width="333" height="500" alt="On-One Pompetamine build"></a>

  2. #2
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    48,236
    Looks good.

    Remember you need road levers on the Mungo bars (larger diameter than mtb bars).
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  3. #3
    since 4/10/2009
    Reputation: Harold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    29,044
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    Looks good.

    Remember you need road levers on the Mungo bars (larger diameter than mtb bars).
    Yep. I think I'm going to get the Tektro long pull road levers for this build.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    5
    What kind of gearing are you planning to run, NateHawk? You know the Pompetamine doesn't have a gear hanger? It's a hub gear specific frame...
    An On-One Insider...

  5. #5
    since 4/10/2009
    Reputation: Harold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    29,044
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Bawn View Post
    What kind of gearing are you planning to run, NateHawk? You know the Pompetamine doesn't have a gear hanger? It's a hub gear specific frame...
    Haven't decided yet. If I can get an Alfine wheelset for cheap I'll run with it and a Jtek barend shifter. If not, I'm going to SS it. If SS, I think I'll start with a 2.75:1 ratio and go from there. If Alfine, I'll have to look into an optimal ratio for that system.

  6. #6
    Short-Change-Hero
    Reputation: gregnash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    6,470
    OOOOOOhhhh.... so watching this thread. Car died on me today and so had to ride the Inbred back to work from lunch. Looks like a commuter might be in my future and I have been toying with getting a Pompetamine. Only thing I would do differently so far is I like the Midge bars better than the Mungo. But once you get the bars/stem/fork mounted take a pic because that might change.

  7. #7
    since 4/10/2009
    Reputation: Harold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    29,044
    frame's still at the shop getting prep work. I think they had to order the tools to face the disc tabs.

  8. #8
    Did I catch a niner+?
    Reputation: Mr Pink57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    2,955
    If they would ask a der hanger to this frame I would so sell my Fisty frame for this in a heartbeat. Let us know what kind of tire clearance you can get of this bad boy.

    I also demand pics of it at night.
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?

  9. #9
    since 4/10/2009
    Reputation: Harold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    29,044
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pink57 View Post
    Let us know what kind of tire clearance you can get of this bad boy.
    claimed 42 w/o fenders and 38 w/fenders

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: snowdenn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    406
    thanks for the pics. post more when youve built it.

    ive been thinking about this to replace my inbred, which has become a commuter. but im not sure if its worth the swap. frames probably a half pound lighter, but the steel fork (vs. my inbreds carbon fork) will probably make up for that. so no real weight savings. at this point any advantages for the pompetamine seems cosmetic for me, but i am liking that off-white of yours so maybe thats enough.

    i saw a pic on on-ones site where the frames brake tab slots were too big and the rider had to go out and buy hardware to mount the rear brake. he said the slots were practically swallowing the normal caliper bolts. i dunno if he got a lemon, but would like to see if your frame is all right.

    also, what size is that frame?

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: boomn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    10,038
    The ETT of a large Pompetamine is significantly shorter than a large Inbred to allow for proper reach with drop bars and a stem of reasonable length. That's the only thing that really jumps out at me between the two. The Pomp's fork would also have fender mounts that your carbon fork probably doesn't have

  12. #12
    since 4/10/2009
    Reputation: Harold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    29,044
    my frame is a medium. the caliper mounting slots look perfectly fine to me, but I have not tried to mount the calipers yet. for some bizarre reason, the mechanic at my lbs did not face the entire slot...he only did part of it. "if I need the rest faced, he'll do it for no cost" I'm just going to have him finish it off before I mount the calipers.

    I don't have any good pics yet...but that off white becomes neon green in low light (glow in the dark paint rocks).

    no reason you couldn't put a carbon fork on this frame if you wanted to.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: snowdenn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    406
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    my frame is a medium. the caliper mounting slots look perfectly fine to me, but I have not tried to mount the calipers yet. for some bizarre reason, the mechanic at my lbs did not face the entire slot...he only did part of it. "if I need the rest faced, he'll do it for no cost" I'm just going to have him finish it off before I mount the calipers.

    I don't have any good pics yet...but that off white becomes neon green in low light (glow in the dark paint rocks).

    no reason you couldn't put a carbon fork on this frame if you wanted to.

    haha, im actually not a fan of the glow in the dark part, just the off-white color, which theyre out of currently. but heres the link for that guy with the funky tabs:

    Gareth's Pomp | Pompetamine | Readers Rides - On One Bikes

    hopefully that was a one time deal. as for the fork, are you suggesting i use the 29er fork? without checking, seems like the length would be way off. or are you suggesting a road fork? i dont know of any carbon with disc tabs off the top of my head, but maybe you were thinking of sortve a reverse mullet, disc in back, v-brakes in front? haha, no thanks.

    if i go with this frame, i will probably stick with the pompetamine fork cause i like an all steel frameset. though not overly fond of the fork aesthetically. given the angular seat stay design, i wouldve preferred a straight fork rather than a curvy unicrown to match. maybe thats just me.


    @boomn, good point about the geo, though i would probably move my mary bar over. i love that bar--its super fun, but not quite what i want when im mtbing. guess what i want with the pompetamine is a "country bike." as for fenders, theyre not worth their weight here in southern california.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: boomn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    10,038
    Lots of carbon cross forks with disc mounts are starting to appear now that discs are legal for UCI cross races. If there aren't options already available with approximately the right geometry then there should be in the near future.

    I know it's impossible to say without seeing it in person and/or measuring it, but the mounting slots in that link don't look bad to me. Since with slotted disc mounts there isn't material all around the mounting bolt there is less material for the bolt to tighten up against. In my experience the stock Avid mounting bolts just don't have big enough heads, so they end biting in against a very small area of the dropout above and below the bolt. Little washers under those bolt heads solved the problem. The bolts on the Shimano brakes I had before came with little washers already under the bolt heads.

  15. #15
    since 4/10/2009
    Reputation: Harold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    29,044
    Quote Originally Posted by boomn View Post
    Lots of carbon cross forks with disc mounts are starting to appear now that discs are legal for UCI cross races. If there aren't options already available with approximately the right geometry then there should be in the near future.

    I know it's impossible to say without seeing it in person and/or measuring it, but the mounting slots in that link don't look bad to me. Since with slotted disc mounts there isn't material all around the mounting bolt there is less material for the bolt to tighten up against. In my experience the stock Avid mounting bolts just don't have big enough heads, so they end biting in against a very small area of the dropout above and below the bolt. Little washers under those bolt heads solved the problem. The bolts on the Shimano brakes I had before came with little washers already under the bolt heads.
    Yep, I was thinking of a carbon cross fork for similar geometry purposes.

    Yeah, those slots look like the ones on my frame, too. Just a bit less material there to get purchase on, so yeah, washers ought to solve any problems.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: snowdenn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    406
    Quote Originally Posted by boomn View Post
    Lots of carbon cross forks with disc mounts are starting to appear now that discs are legal for UCI cross races. If there aren't options already available with approximately the right geometry then there should be in the near future.

    I know it's impossible to say without seeing it in person and/or measuring it, but the mounting slots in that link don't look bad to me. Since with slotted disc mounts there isn't material all around the mounting bolt there is less material for the bolt to tighten up against. In my experience the stock Avid mounting bolts just don't have big enough heads, so they end biting in against a very small area of the dropout above and below the bolt. Little washers under those bolt heads solved the problem. The bolts on the Shimano brakes I had before came with little washers already under the bolt heads.

    yeah, i havent come across many, but im sure theyll start showing up. but like i said, im leaning towards an all steel ride. i didnt mean to sound like i was unhappy with a steel fork, although i wish theyd designed theirs differently. i was just hoping for a lighter frameset than my inbred. especially since i would probably move most of the parts over from it. on-one site says the weight should come to almost 7 and a quarter pounds. not that im complaining. just indecision.

    i have avid bb7s on my inbred. they fit perfectly fine with no vertical looseness. i would think that the slots are the same as the pompetamine. and since i would be bringing the bb7s over, i would hope that the fit would be the same. hopefully mr. natehawks build will clear that up.

  17. #17
    since 4/10/2009
    Reputation: Harold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    29,044
    Quote Originally Posted by snowdenn View Post
    yeah, i havent come across many, but im sure theyll start showing up. but like i said, im leaning towards an all steel ride. i didnt mean to sound like i was unhappy with a steel fork, although i wish theyd designed theirs differently. i was just hoping for a lighter frameset than my inbred. especially since i would probably move most of the parts over from it. on-one site says the weight should come to almost 7 and a quarter pounds. not that im complaining. just indecision.

    i have avid bb7s on my inbred. they fit perfectly fine with no vertical looseness. i would think that the slots are the same as the pompetamine. and since i would be bringing the bb7s over, i would hope that the fit would be the same. hopefully mr. natehawks build will clear that up.
    My paycheck just got deposited today, so I'll be able to finish up the build here soon. Next up: wheelset and tires, brake levers, cables and housing, seatpost and saddle, and some red ano bits to finish things off.

  18. #18
    since 4/10/2009
    Reputation: Harold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    29,044
    Ok, let's see if I can remember all of the things I've bought/ordered since yesterday.

    Easton EA70 2 bolt seatpost
    Sugino 46t chainring
    Crupi 18t cog
    Tektro RL520 black brake levers
    Surly hub spacer kit
    carbon headset spacers
    red ano bits from Purely Custom
    -6mm chainring bolts
    -valve stem caps
    -cable end crimps
    used Brooks B17 saddle from ebay
    bontrager buzzkill bar end plugs
    wheelset
    -Velocity Dyad black reflective rims
    -Shimano M629 hubs
    -DT Champion straight gauge spokes
    -red alloy nipples
    Origin8 centerlock to 6 bolt adapters

  19. #19
    since 4/10/2009
    Reputation: Harold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    29,044
    A few parts came today:

    Easton EA70 seatpost, Tektro brake levers, and Specialized Crossroads 700x38 tires.

    Bunch of stuff is set to arrive tomorrow, and my LBS tells me the wheelset should ship either today (Thursday) or tomorrow for an anticipated delivery early/mid next week.

    Things should start coming together now. When my chainring and chainring bolts come, I'll be able to get the crankset on. I can get my brake caliper adapters on, but there's not a lot of point to actually putting the calipers on until I can get the wheels on. Nor is there much point to getting the handlebars wrapped until I can do some test rides and play with lever placement. It should get finished up sometime next week. I'll get some pictures of the parts I have later tomorrow or over the weekend.

  20. #20
    since 4/10/2009
    Reputation: Harold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    29,044
    Tonight's progress, with crappy garage lighting.

    <a href="https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/6222061748/" title="On-One Pompetamine Build by mtbikernate, on Flickr"><img src="https://farm7.static.flickr.com/6160/6222061748_df39cf01dd.jpg" width="500" height="333" alt="On-One Pompetamine Build"></a>

    I also put the Tektro levers on the handlebar to play around with positioning to see how they'd feel. I think I've got 'em close.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: snowdenn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    406
    so? didja stop? or are you too busy riding to post pics? think im gonna get one too if i can find one. but it would still be great to see how yours is building up.


    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    Tonight's progress, with crappy garage lighting.

    <a href="https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/6222061748/" title="On-One Pompetamine Build by mtbikernate, on Flickr"><img src="https://farm7.static.flickr.com/6160/6222061748_df39cf01dd.jpg" width="500" height="333" alt="On-One Pompetamine Build"></a>

    I also put the Tektro levers on the handlebar to play around with positioning to see how they'd feel. I think I've got 'em close.

  22. #22
    since 4/10/2009
    Reputation: Harold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    29,044
    Still workin on it. Been waiting on the wheels and due to some delays I wont be able to get the build done till tuesday at the earliest

  23. #23
    since 4/10/2009
    Reputation: Harold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    29,044
    got the wheelset the other day, which allowed me to make some progress in the past couple days. photos on hold because I'm waiting on some centerlock rotors. FYI, the Origin8 centerlock to 6 bolt rotor adapters DO NOT FIT the Pompetamine fork at all. On-One "recommends" centerlock rotors due to clearance issues, but IMO they should really say "don't even think about trying 6bolt rotors because some configurations just flat won't work".

    my bar tape wrap job isn't the prettiest (it's been a few years since I wrapped tape, so the ends could be better), but so far the bike has come together pretty well. next time I install bar tape, I don't think I'll use red tape on red ano bars because the two reds are oddly different. my wife even commented on the "pink" handlebars earlier and expressed serious doubt about my assertions that they were indeed red.

    the bike does not like sand in my brakeless spins around the house this afternoon. could prove to be interesting if I take it on any of the local "dirt" roads (which are really mostly just sand), which is why I built it with 38mm tires. The Specialized Crossroads tires I got are big for their size, like some of their other tires I've tried on my mtb. I should have expected it and ordered a size down. fitting fenders with these might be tough. good thing I'm in TX in the middle of a drought right now. Fenders are not absolutely necessary right now.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: snowdenn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    406
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    got the wheelset the other day, which allowed me to make some progress in the past couple days. photos on hold because I'm waiting on some centerlock rotors. FYI, the Origin8 centerlock to 6 bolt rotor adapters DO NOT FIT the Pompetamine fork at all. On-One "recommends" centerlock rotors due to clearance issues, but IMO they should really say "don't even think about trying 6bolt rotors because some configurations just flat won't work".

    my bar tape wrap job isn't the prettiest (it's been a few years since I wrapped tape, so the ends could be better), but so far the bike has come together pretty well. next time I install bar tape, I don't think I'll use red tape on red ano bars because the two reds are oddly different. my wife even commented on the "pink" handlebars earlier and expressed serious doubt about my assertions that they were indeed red.

    the bike does not like sand in my brakeless spins around the house this afternoon. could prove to be interesting if I take it on any of the local "dirt" roads (which are really mostly just sand), which is why I built it with 38mm tires. The Specialized Crossroads tires I got are big for their size, like some of their other tires I've tried on my mtb. I should have expected it and ordered a size down. fitting fenders with these might be tough. good thing I'm in TX in the middle of a drought right now. Fenders are not absolutely necessary right now.

    i dont have any experience with centerlock rotors and hubs, so i dont know what the difference is from the 6 bolt clearance wise. i dont get it, what doesnt clear?

    im actually much more interested in what doesnt work on this frame than what does, so i would know what pitfalls to avoid in building it up. your comments about the fork and tires are helpful. if its not too much trouble, could you put up pics of the issues you run into, like the rotor clearance?

    im still curious about the rear brake tabs. i noticed you put the rear bb7 on. did you need to use extra washers after all? do you think you could post a pic of the tabs?

    actually, do you own a horizontal dropout inbred? if you do, are its brake tabs identical with the pompetamine? cause i do, and if they are the same, then i would know what to expect.

    on-one says over a month wait on the frame. shoulda grabbed one before they ran out.

  25. #25
    since 4/10/2009
    Reputation: Harold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    29,044
    I can take a few pics and post 'em up.

    I used washers on the inner surface of the disc tabs (faced portion), but not on the outer surface. Didn't need to.

    To post pics of the rotor clearance issue, I'd have to bolt up the adapters to the rotors and put all that back on. Meh, not worth it. The clearance problem is caused by the bolt heads hitting on the lower fork leg. I can post a close-up of that area sans rotors so you can see the issue. I actually had a hard time finding the problem (the wheel would not rotate) because it was so cluttered down there when I mounted it up. Centerlock wheels don't have the chunky mount in that area, which is why clearance is not an issue. Part of the problem MIGHT be with the specific adapters I used (Origin-8) as they have a shim that sandwiches the rotor against the adapter so the lockring has something to grab onto. Different adapters (like maybe the DT Swiss ones, which are so much more that it's better to just get new rotors).

    This is my only On-One. My MTB is a Specialized Stumpjumper FSR.

    I MIGHT be able to fit the fenders on, but I'll have to slide the rear wheel farther back in the track ends. I'd probably need to add another link to the chain to do it. Maybe a half link would work. But it would not allow for as much adjustment in the chain as it wears. Tire width is fine, but tire height is what causes the issue.

  26. #26
    since 4/10/2009
    Reputation: Harold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    29,044
    fork clearance

    <a href="https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/6267902967/" title="IMG_4668 by mtbikernate, on Flickr"><img src="https://farm7.static.flickr.com/6095/6267902967_df1f6e96b5.jpg" width="333" height="500" alt="IMG_4668"></a>

    You can see that the fork leg just barely clears the Centerlock splines here. The Origin-8 adapter doesn't come out flush with the end, but when you put the rotor on, you have to install a spacer that sits outside the edge of the hub shell. The bolts for the rotor have to fasten all 3 parts together because the lockring grabs onto the spacer to hold everything in place. The lockring has space, but the bolt heads hit the fork leg.

    With the wheel in this position:

    <a href="https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/6267903739/" title="IMG_4674 by mtbikernate, on Flickr"><img src="https://farm7.static.flickr.com/6034/6267903739_67581d30b7.jpg" width="500" height="333" alt="IMG_4674"></a>

    I get this spacing for the 38mm Specialized Crossroads tire.

    <a href="https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/6268428252/" title="IMG_4673 by mtbikernate, on Flickr"><img src="https://farm7.static.flickr.com/6234/6268428252_b9f79601bd.jpg" width="500" height="333" alt="IMG_4673"></a>

    As you can see, there's plenty of width, but the tire is rather tall. And there's not a whole lot of space to move the wheel back in the track ends, either. I probably have enough space to fit fenders in there, but doing so would cut down on the amount of adjustment left to account for chain wear.

  27. #27
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    48,236
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    fork clearance

    <a href="https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/6267902967/" title="IMG_4668 by mtbikernate, on Flickr"><img src="https://farm7.static.flickr.com/6095/6267902967_df1f6e96b5.jpg" width="333" height="500" alt="IMG_4668"></a>

    You can see that the fork leg just barely clears the Centerlock splines here. The Origin-8 adapter doesn't come out flush with the end, but when you put the rotor on, you have to install a spacer that sits outside the edge of the hub shell. The bolts for the rotor have to fasten all 3 parts together because the lockring grabs onto the spacer to hold everything in place. The lockring has space, but the bolt heads hit the fork leg.

    With the wheel in this position:

    <a href="https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/6267903739/" title="IMG_4674 by mtbikernate, on Flickr"><img src="https://farm7.static.flickr.com/6034/6267903739_67581d30b7.jpg" width="500" height="333" alt="IMG_4674"></a>

    I get this spacing for the 38mm Specialized Crossroads tire.

    <a href="https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/6268428252/" title="IMG_4673 by mtbikernate, on Flickr"><img src="https://farm7.static.flickr.com/6234/6268428252_b9f79601bd.jpg" width="500" height="333" alt="IMG_4673"></a>

    As you can see, there's plenty of width, but the tire is rather tall. And there's not a whole lot of space to move the wheel back in the track ends, either. I probably have enough space to fit fenders in there, but doing so would cut down on the amount of adjustment left to account for chain wear.
    Nate, I would bet the Shimano or DT CL to 6-bolt adaptor would work.
    I like that type better than the O-8 style in any case.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  28. #28
    since 4/10/2009
    Reputation: Harold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    29,044
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    Nate, I would bet the Shimano or DT CL to 6-bolt adaptor would work.
    I like that type better than the O-8 style in any case.
    The Shimano and DT adapters cost enough that it just makes sense to buy the CL rotors. I got the low-priced Shimano rotors since Avid does not offer a reasonably priced centerlock rotor.

  29. #29
    Short-Change-Hero
    Reputation: gregnash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    6,470
    There is nothing wrong with the RT-53/56 rotors as I have them on my Inbred 29er and the rotors are great. Give us some more build pics. I wann see this thing complete!!

  30. #30
    since 4/10/2009
    Reputation: Harold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    29,044
    no more build pics until I get the rotors (hopefully Monday) and can finish this thing up. If I have to live with the suspense of having it almost complete on my workstand, y'all can live with the suspense of waiting another day or two for finished build pics.

    Just to put some more teasers out there, I think the bike's looking pretty slick. no fenders/racks for now. I just want to get it rolling. I'll get that stuff later. It has a little bit of a monstercross flavor to it, I'd say.

  31. #31
    since 4/10/2009
    Reputation: Harold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    29,044
    rotors arrived at lunch. All installed, set up, and first commute done. Pretty light (haven't put it on a scale to see what just yet), and pretty fast. geared a little tall for now, but not too tall for my commute. Gives me room to get stronger. probably too tall for trails, though.

    Also, I had clearance issues with the rear BB7 caliper. I could not get it to line up with the rotor using the 160mm rear adapter. Thankfully, I had a spare front 160mm adapter from a previous BB7 upgrade for a bike that had a post mount on the fork. I put that spare adapter on the rear end and the caliper fit like a charm. I don't see that mentioned anywhere on the Pompetamine frame page.

    Looks like I won't be getting fenders for awhile yet. I thought the page for the frame said it'd fit 38mm tires with fenders, but it says 35mm tires with fenders. Since the tires I got are brand new, I'll be riding them for awhile before I get 35mm tires so I can fit fenders.
    Last edited by Harold; 10-24-2011 at 01:43 PM.

  32. #32
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    48,236
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    rotors arrived at lunch. All installed, set up, and first commute done. Pretty light (haven't put it on a scale to see what just yet), and pretty fast. geared a little tall for now, but not too tall for my commute. Gives me room to get stronger. probably too tall for trails, though.

    Also, I had clearance issues with the rear BB7 caliper. I could not get it to line up with the rotor using the 160mm rear adapter. Thankfully, I had a spare front 160mm adapter from a previous BB7 upgrade for a bike that had a post mount on the fork. I put that spare adapter on the rear end and the caliper fit like a charm. I don't see that mentioned anywhere on the Pompetamine frame page.

    Looks like I won't be getting fenders for awhile yet. I thought the page for the frame said it'd fit 38mm tires with fenders, but it says 35mm tires with fenders. Since the tires I got are brand new, I'll be riding them for awhile before I get 35mm tires so I can fit fenders.
    Nate, I would like to see pics of the rear brake setup
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  33. #33
    since 4/10/2009
    Reputation: Harold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    29,044
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    Nate, I would like to see pics of the rear brake setup
    Will do when I get home tonight.

    If I had a smaller tire than a 38, I'm sure the 160mm adapter would have fit fine. To fit the tire in, the wheel has to be farther back in the track ends (see earlier pics regarding tire clearance). That necessitated the whole caliper to slide all the way back to the back of the slots in the caliper adjustment holes. With the caliper all the way back like that, I did not have enough space to adjust the CPS bolts to eliminate major rotor drag. By using a "front" adapter, it's able to sit farther forward in those slots, which gives me enough lateral space to adjust out any rotor drag. If I had a smaller tire that allowed me to move the wheel forward in the track ends, I'd have to go back to the rear caliper adapter.

  34. #34
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    48,236
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    Will do when I get home tonight.

    If I had a smaller tire than a 38, I'm sure the 160mm adapter would have fit fine. To fit the tire in, the wheel has to be farther back in the track ends (see earlier pics regarding tire clearance). That necessitated the whole caliper to slide all the way back to the back of the slots in the caliper adjustment holes. With the caliper all the way back like that, I did not have enough space to adjust the CPS bolts to eliminate major rotor drag. By using a "front" adapter, it's able to sit farther forward in those slots, which gives me enough lateral space to adjust out any rotor drag. If I had a smaller tire that allowed me to move the wheel forward in the track ends, I'd have to go back to the rear caliper adapter.
    Good info, Nate.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  35. #35
    since 4/10/2009
    Reputation: Harold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    29,044

    Pics

    For all of you waiting to see this build, here it is.

    <a href="https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/6278187119/" title="On-One Pompetamine by mtbikernate, on Flickr"><img src="https://farm7.static.flickr.com/6095/6278187119_98d6248e39.jpg" width="500" height="333" alt="On-One Pompetamine"></a>

    Light's not so good, but I got home late tonight. Lots of work to do, and ERDAS (computer software) will be the end of me.

    Shiggy, here's some pics of that rear caliper.

    Here's one angle where you can see how close to the seatstay this thing is. Note that the cable pinch bolt is very close to the stay. You can't even see the rear caliper CPS bolt here because it's so close to the stay and obscured partially by the rotor.

    <a href="https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/6278708764/" title="On-One Pompetamine by mtbikernate, on Flickr"><img src="https://farm7.static.flickr.com/6044/6278708764_b3766b173c.jpg" width="500" height="438" alt="On-One Pompetamine"></a>

    Here's the amount of horizontal clearance I have even with the front adapter. You can't even see here that I dremeled a corner off of the caliper by the dropout to give me a little more lateral space for adjusting things.

    <a href="https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/6278188457/" title="On-One Pompetamine by mtbikernate, on Flickr"><img src="https://farm7.static.flickr.com/6104/6278188457_801d876e08.jpg" width="315" height="500" alt="On-One Pompetamine"></a>

    Non-drive view of the caliper, showing how I was able to slide it all the way forward and get the right pad alignment on the rotor.

    <a href="https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/6278709960/" title="On-One Pompetamine by mtbikernate, on Flickr"><img src="https://farm7.static.flickr.com/6217/6278709960_1586df72a3.jpg" width="500" height="333" alt="On-One Pompetamine"></a>

    Proof that I did indeed wind up using a 160mm front adapter.

    <a href="https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/6278710596/" title="On-One Pompetamine by mtbikernate, on Flickr"><img src="https://farm7.static.flickr.com/6098/6278710596_d31de5f157.jpg" width="500" height="333" alt="On-One Pompetamine"></a>

    If building up one of these frames with BB7's (mtn version), make sure you have both a front and rear 160mm adapter on hand depending on the wheel position in the track ends.

  36. #36
    Did I catch a niner+?
    Reputation: Mr Pink57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    2,955
    That's a solid piece of hot awesome NateHawk.

    I have a lot of that same issue on my 09 Inbred with BB7s. As I understand most of this is resolved with a 185mm rotor but that is not in the cards for me at the moment. I have my bolts almost all the way forward for tension and the caliper is about halfway on the slider right now. Also to stop the cable rubbing on the seat stay I put a piece of electrical tape there or you could use a piece of that clear frame protector stuff, YMMV.
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?

  37. #37
    since 4/10/2009
    Reputation: Harold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    29,044
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pink57 View Post
    That's a solid piece of hot awesome NateHawk.

    I have a lot of that same issue on my 09 Inbred with BB7s. As I understand most of this is resolved with a 185mm rotor but that is not in the cards for me at the moment. I have my bolts almost all the way forward for tension and the caliper is about halfway on the slider right now. Also to stop the cable rubbing on the seat stay I put a piece of electrical tape there or you could use a piece of that clear frame protector stuff, YMMV.
    Ha! I just spent $80 on these centerlock rotors even though I have perfectly good 160mm 6 bolt rotors that had fitment issues. Clearance even with the centerlock rotors is TIGHT on the front. No problems getting the caliper properly adjusted there, though.

    I was hoping the rims would be a bit more strongly reflective than they are. with the camera flash, you do see some of the reflective effect of the "Halo" finish on the rims. I only hope that it stands out more with headlights shining on them. I might have to do some testing later.

    My taping job leaves a bit to be desired. But to be fair, it's my first handlebar wrap since 05, so I'm a little rusty.

  38. #38
    Did I catch a niner+?
    Reputation: Mr Pink57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    2,955
    I to be honest do not see much reflection from the rims. I took some tape and make "patches" between spokes and this seems to help side and rear view.


    You can kind of see it here on the rear.
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?

  39. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation: snowdenn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    406
    woah. all this time i had been thinking my only option with the bb7s were 185mm rotors, like the inbred. i didnt realize the smaller rotors were even possible. good to know i might have options.

Members who have read this thread: 1

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.