Suckin wind like a boss

Zombieland: The Zompocalypse is upon us, what is your plan?

In the interest of not totally derailing the facemuncher thread...this topic was broached, and in light of current circumstances it seems entirely relevant.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying-Monkey View Post
    Which raises the question, almost worthy of it's own thread... in the event of the zombie apocalypse, what would you do, where would you go to escape?
    Myself, I have a 4-wheel drive, keep the tank relatively full, and have a bug-out bag ready to grab-n-go. I live in suburbia, which is bad... but I can be out of suburbia in less than ten minutes. If I have to play dodge-the-roadblock, make it 20 minutes til I am in the near hinterlands.

Less than an easy hour away via secondary and back roads (read: minimal if any roadblocks likely), I have an uncle, not named Herschel, with a spread out in the boonies that was chosen for its defensibility. Also unlike Herschel, he likes guns. LOVES them as a matter of fact, and has lots and lots. Several in the safe have my name on them.

Now, its safe to say that out there, we would likely be quite safe for an indefinite period of time. Far enough out there that the vast majority of walkers aren't likely to make it that far, especially in groups large enough to be unmanageable. Uncle (not) Herschel is also very friendly with local farmers, so food would be less than an immediate problem.

Now, this seemingly easy-sounding escape plan is, of course, predicated on some measure of foreknowledge of the impending disaster- much like the news of our miami face-eater making it into the media. Gimme a couple more of those news stories, and I might be making the trip. However, if it so happens that the event transpires due to a massive bio-weapon attack and takes place literally over the span of several hours... well, thats when plan B takes effect.

And in plan B, I am the only one safe. Anyone else in my way is suspect and will be dealt with accordingly.

And of course this is all happening with the assumption that I myself am not one of the infected.
    If you arent bleeding, you arent riding hard enough.
    http://about.me/bigterry

Quote Originally Posted by Hutch3637 View Post
    I don't need sex. My life fvcks me daily.

Is not amused
    Steal a boat, bring a fishing pole and my dog. Zombies can't swim.

For all other info refer to:

The Survival Guide - Zombie Survival & Defense Wiki

Suckin wind like a boss
    kinda like what they do at the end of maximum overdrive? hop in the sailboat and gtfo?

Is not amused
    Yes with "You shook me all night long" blasting on the PA system.

since 4/10/2009
    Poor Hutch, you're zombie vittles.

You'd better hope the water is deeper than a zombie's reach, because zombies can walk on the subsurface.

If you're floating on saltwater, you'll run out of drinkable water eventually and at that point, you're 3 days from death.

It's entirely possible that "swimmers" could even climb your anchor line if you've anchored yourself out there.

Right now, I'm in a somewhat manageable situation. I could stand to have more ammo on hand for my shotgun, but I have enough to hopefully get me by until I can acquire more. But being in a small town in Texas, Walmart is pretty much the only place to get ammo locally and it'll be mobbed. Won't be safe to go there for a long time.

What I lack in guns, I could make up for elsewhere. I have plenty of gear that would enable me to survive most places. Enough tools that can serve as handheld weapons. Plenty of outdoor gear to assist in survival for acquiring water, and my education in biology and ecology gives me just enough to identify a number of edible wild plants.

I could assemble my gear in a bug out bag pretty quick and hit the road. I have a supply of shelf-stable food that would get me by for up to a week. I keep a number of gallons of gas around that would be useful for extending the range of my vehicle. Currently I just have access to my little Honda...not the ideal zombie apocalypse vehicle, though it gets good fuel economy so I could make do with not a lot of fuel. My wife's Jeep would make me more mobile, but require more gas. It's with her halfway across the country currently. I also keep around a couple 20lb cylinders of propane that would last awhile for cooking or heating or whatever.

I do not have specific access to a good location to fortify, though. That's a bit of a long term problem. I do live in a rural area, so there would be plenty of options for me. There's a lot of wide open spaces around here.

If the apocalypse can hold off for a few months, I'll have the opportunity to consolidate my resources into one place. In some respects, it will be less desirable (a bigger city with a lot more risk regarding zombs), but in others it might work out a little to my advantage (more resources available, potentially better access to a long-term defensible location).

Is not amused
    I live down by the river thank you very much which is wide and deep. Swimmers better not touch my anchor line cause that sucker is going to be electrified. If not, my river connects to another river and that river connects to the ocean so I can go back and forth. Don't ruin my dream.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Lots of make-up. If you can;'t fight them, join them.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I have enough ammo and firearms, but i still need to go grocery shopping to have enough food to hunker down.

Formerly mtbnoobadam
    Being military I'm sure I'll be expected to mobilize with my unit but I'll be damned if I leave my family to the the zombies so Uncle Sam can kiss my @ss in that situation.

I'm not what you would consider a "prepper" but I do like to be prepared incase of an emergency. I've got a 4x4, plenty of guns and ammo, a bug out bag, MREs, potable water jugs, a large medical kit and a bunch of tactical and outdoor gear. A good friend of mine who also likes to be prepared lives 2 streets down from me so we'll probably link up and convoy out of town together. Luckily we live right on the edge of town so it won't take long at all to get away from all the commotion. My long term plan would be to make my way up north into the mountains of eastern Washington/Idaho. There will be plenty of wildlife for food and the human population in that area is very low so walkers should be few and far between.

mtbr member
    I'm waiting for the victim to start eating flesh, then I'm out. The plan is to get as highly elevated, wintery climate and as far away from any nuclear facilities, as possible. Avoid suburbs even if it's round about and move like a ninja, quieter than silence through the world of flesh hungry undead

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I'm a bit of a prepper.

I have nearly 20 guns (from semi-autos, single shots and bolt action; some with optics and lasers) with thousands of rounds of ammo, water, food, medical, protection against exposure, clothing, batteries, fire, emergency whistles, tools, light sticks, flashlights, radio, fuel tank siphon (to steal gas if I have to), knives, clubs, machetes, and escape routes. I have a large truck with a BOB bag. In my business car, I have a complete BOB bag including a survival .410 shotgun I can assemble in seconds with 100 rounds, a change of clothes (in case i need to abandon my vehicle), shelter, sleeping bag, with food and water supply for 3-5 days.

My house has an alarm system, with motion sensor lights at all points of possible entry. I sleep with my tactical 12 gauge (flashlight, laser) at my side, but I also have a Louisville Slugger. I have determined the best conceal cover points of my home in the event of a break-in.

Best of all, I know all the back roads; my in-laws live 7 miles away, and they live in the sticks.

It's the best I can do. I am missing a gas generator and a solar powered iPhone charger.

since 4/10/2009
    I have an eton radio that can charge any usb device by solar or hand crank. Not too expensive.

Dion is the kinda dude I'd need to link up with. He has the weapons and ammo I lack. But eventually ammo will get scarce. Need a plan to deal with that. I want to learn archery.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I'm concerned with a natural disaster and home invasion, in reality. Since I have to drive around so much for work, I gave it some thought "what if?" and built a survival bag to keep in both my car and truck. If we were to get hit bad with something, the real "hordes" of desperate people would take awhile to get down where we live, so we would have time to secure and arm our place. Conversely, since I live on the outskirts, aid from state, local or federal government would probably be awhile.

If we can learn anything about how bad things can get when there's a major disaster, we should all reflect on what happened during Hurricane Katrina. If that's reality, then we don't need imaginary zombie scenarios to consider... invading, violent hordes of people exist today.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Keep up with the replies to this thread. Become zombie. Foil all of your well thought out plans.
    2010 Giant Yukon FX
    Pure XCR Wheelset/Geax Saguaro Tires/Tubeless
    Bike Weight Lost: 2.48lbs (1124g)

"2 Wycked"
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    But eventually ammo will get scarce. Need a plan to deal with that. I want to learn archery.
    Just teach yourself how to kill barehanded and you'll be good to go....guns are a crutch.
    Ahhhh...Ahhhh....it's the hammy, it's the hammy!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    ...eventually ammo will get scarce. Need a plan to deal with that.
    I have tons of brass, bullets, primers, powder and a reloading station to reload my own rounds.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    On a more serious note.

I think I mentioned this in another thread but I suggest everyone invest in one of these...

Its called a Halligan tool. Its used mostly by fire departments as its a do it all to for a pick, pry bar, hammer, etc... Its also an excellent melee weapon. Provided real zombies are like the movies portray and are slow moving and in most situations stupid, any managable amount should be able to be taken down without firing a bullet. This would produce less noise and save ammo.

My wife has a Nissan Xterra. Its 2wd but has excellent ground clearance and does very well off road as long as you dont get deep into the muddy stuff. We have alot of camping and fishing equipment as well. The basic plan would be to load up as much camping and outdoor equipment, tools, and weapons into the Xterra as possible and head to my grandmothers. Her house is in the middle of 52 acres, all of which are flat. Youd be able to see a zombie coming for a couple of miles before it ever reached the house. She also has alot of farm equipment including a couple of bobcats and a front loader. So doing stuff like digging a trench would be cake. Also behind the house is a 20-30 person storm shelter made of 2 foot thick rebared concrete with a 6 inch thick steel door.
    2010 Giant Yukon FX

the catalan connection
    How do you actually kill someone which is already dead?
    "Blessed is the man who, having nothing to say, abstains from giving us wordly evidence of the fact." George Elliot

I dd what you see there.
    Loads and loads of "Bath Salts"

If it turns normal people into zombies, it certainly HAS to turn zombies into normal people.
    2002 Cannondale Jekyll 800
    2011 Trek Cronus CX Ultimate

mtbr member
    i would like to apologize in advance for tripping any of you if we end up running from the horde.

fatties go first so one word...cardio. Also, stay away from food courts.

if I don't feel like running and have plenty of ammo & a fine box of merlot from wal-mart...zombies are easily distracted so playing "thriller" on an endless loop will get 'em dancin' while I pick 'em off. michael jackson and a hail of bullets is like fishing with dynamite with an entertainment value. need proof?...

here ya go "Thriller" (original upload) - YouTube
    Last edited by 53119; 06-01-2012 at 07:28 AM.

meow meow
    i'll wing it

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    As Dion mentioned, it's the other live people you'd have to worry about. They take any advantage they can get, and that means tripping you so they can get away. Anyone seen the movie "The Road"?

My plan would be to avoid the "live" more than the "dead". It will become "everyman for themselves".

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by the-one1 View Post
    As Dion mentioned, it's the other live people you'd have to worry about. They take any advantage they can get, and that means tripping you so they can get away. Anyone seen the movie "The Road"?

My plan would be to avoid the "live" more than the "dead". It will become "everyman for themselves".
    In the "prepper" world, the term "zombies" actually defines hordes of disaster scavengers: people looking to steal resources by any means necessary. We've seen this during the Rodney King/L.A. riots and Hurricane Katrina. We live far enough away from the city so that we wouldn't have to worry about that too much, but give it time in a catastrophic disaster, and it could affect any of us. The Japanese Tsunami proved that humans can actually do it "right" if they keep their heads together... but I'm not sure if certain parts of the U.S. could handle themselves.

From a philosophical point of view, the opening scene of Shaun of the Dead proved that we are already zombies as it is. In that scene you see people waking up and going to work in a half-dazed condition. If you look closely, when the zombies arrive, many of the actors in that opening scene also play zombies. The director did it very sneakily, but it's there for those watching closely.

If West African and Haitian voodoo beliefs say that a zombie is a "human who has lost its soul and wanders, slave to an outside force" - many of us are already there. We are slaves to things like consumerism and debt. Sometimes I veg-out and worry about debt, finances, a gloomy retirement plan, the economy, and heck - that's like being a zombie under the voodoo beliefs.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    If you see two people and two dogs in agray Xterra. Dont shoot lol. Maybe we all need MTBR decals on our cars so we know who the "friendlies" are lol.
    2010 Giant Yukon FX

Suckin wind like a boss
    Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post
    In the "prepper" world, the term "zombies" actually defines hordes of disaster scavengers: people looking to steal resources by any means necessary. We've seen this during the Rodney King/L.A. riots and Hurricane Katrina. We live far enough away from the city so that we wouldn't have to worry about that too much, but give it time in a catastrophic disaster, and it could affect any of us. The Japanese Tsunami proved that humans can actually do it "right" if they keep their heads together... but I'm not sure if certain parts of the U.S. could handle themselves.
    Indeed, and despite the tongue-in-cheek nature of this thread in respect to hollywood zombies taking over, people must bear in mind that the prepper definition of zombie is a much closer-to-truth definition of what the zompocalypse will bring.

The meltdown of the dollar is already underway, and when inflation goes so far out of control that it costs 1000 bucks to get a gallon of milk (dont laugh, look at what happened to the german economy prior to WW2), the zombies will definitely be out in force. Major metropolitan areas will be the first and worst hit- thats where a great deal of the population is centered. Statistics, for what they are worth, show that the average household has about 3 to 4 days worth of food on hand. If the grid goes down, if fuel becomes unavailable- all of a sudden you have tens of millions of people stuck in areas of several dozens of square miles, with no food, fuel or water. What happens then?

The farther away from those major metro areas you can be, as quickly as possible, the better off your chances for the long run. The gangs will quickly take over the cities, and steal everything they can get their hands on. When those supplies run out, the gangs will start to move out of the cities- and thats when you'll really need to be on the defensive.

Even if it isn't an economic collapse that causes it- if it is a natural disaster as dion outlined- the end result could easily be the same. it may or may not be on a smaller, more localized scale (katrina-esque)- it could be regional or even national (japan/fukushima)... you will still have millions displaced, homeless, hungry and desperate. Are you prepared to be the destitute and desperate, or are you prepared to survive, and defend against them?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    So......in the event the **** hits the fan.....were all meeting at Dion's place right? Ill bring the beer.
    2010 Giant Yukon FX

Formerly mtbnoobadam
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperSlow35th View Post
    Maybe we all need MTBR decals on our cars so we know who the "friendlies" are lol.
    Sounds like a good idea to me

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by big terry View Post
    Indeed, and despite the tongue-in-cheek nature of this thread in respect to hollywood zombies taking over, people must bear in mind that the prepper definition of zombie is a much closer-to-truth definition of what the zompocalypse will bring.

The meltdown of the dollar is already underway, and when inflation goes so far out of control that it costs 1000 bucks to get a gallon of milk (dont laugh, look at what happened to the german economy prior to WW2), the zombies will definitely be out in force. Major metropolitan areas will be the first and worst hit- thats where a great deal of the population is centered. Statistics, for what they are worth, show that the average household has about 3 to 4 days worth of food on hand. If the grid goes down, if fuel becomes unavailable- all of a sudden you have tens of millions of people stuck in areas of several dozens of square miles, with no food, fuel or water. What happens then?

The farther away from those major metro areas you can be, as quickly as possible, the better off your chances for the long run. The gangs will quickly take over the cities, and steal everything they can get their hands on. When those supplies run out, the gangs will start to move out of the cities- and thats when you'll really need to be on the defensive.

Even if it isn't an economic collapse that causes it- if it is a natural disaster as dion outlined- the end result could easily be the same. it may or may not be on a smaller, more localized scale (katrina-esque)- it could be regional or even national (japan/fukushima)... you will still have millions displaced, homeless, hungry and desperate. Are you prepared to be the destitute and desperate, or are you prepared to survive, and defend against them?
    This is going on right now in places like Karachi: WikiLeaks: Karachi gangs outnumber police | FP Passport

There is a growing problem in the world today, and you really touched upon it very well.

The economy, especially in Europe, is shot. It's very bad... and as we've seen in recent years there has been an uproar among young people against capitalism. Pre-WWII, you have a world coming out of a depression, people are desperate, poor, angered and hostile... out comes a charismatic leader, saying that in order for their people to survive, they must eliminate a certain race of people and adopt a new system.

The Occupy and Anonymous movements have not yet become violent - but domestic terrorism and battle zones can quickly escalate (i.e. Karachi) if the economic future becomes more bleak. When you say gangs, I can't imagine Bloods and Crips, but I can imagine militant groups a la the Nazi movement.

America is very stable, but if the economy does not make a recovery (um, $15 Trillion national debt anyone?) civil unrest is very possible. There is already a buzz of discontent about politics and government more than I've ever heard in my life. Add a disaster of some sort - and we are looking at SHTF scenarios.

I am perplexed why people did not take into account what happened during Katrina and applied it to their lives in terms of preparation.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    ^The same reason those people keep rebuilding their homes on glorified swamp soil below sea level and wonder why they lose everything everytime a hurricane hits.
    2010 Giant Yukon FX

Axe
    Custom User Title
    The economy, especially in Europe, is shot. It's very bad... and as we've seen in recent years there has been an uproar among young people against capitalism.
    Yep, sure.. when socialistic programs killed your economy the solution is more socialism. Plunder and burn while you are at it..

As a person who lived through the fall of the Soviet Union all I can say is good luck everybody.

.. $15T national debt is bad, but at 100% of GDP is not too bad. Interesting reason is that the whole rest of the world had been buying that debt up - kinda tells you where US stands in comparison.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Suckin wind like a boss
    This is going on right now in places like Karachi: WikiLeaks: Karachi gangs outnumber police | FP Passport

There is a growing problem in the world today, and you really touched upon it very well.

The economy, especially in Europe, is shot. It's very bad... and as we've seen in recent years there has been an uproar among young people against capitalism. Pre-WWII, you have a world coming out of a depression, people are desperate, poor, angered and hostile... out comes a charismatic leader, saying that in order for their people to survive, they must eliminate a certain race of people and adopt a new system.

The Occupy and Anonymous movements have not yet become violent - but domestic terrorism and battle zones can quickly escalate (i.e. Karachi) if the economic future becomes more bleak. When you say gangs, I can't imagine Bloods and Crips, but I can imagine militant groups a la the Nazi movement.

America is very stable, but if the economy does not make a recovery (um, $15 Trillion national debt anyone?) civil unrest is very possible. There is already a buzz of discontent about politics and government more than I've ever heard in my life. Add a disaster of some sort - and we are looking at SHTF scenarios.

I am perplexed why people did not take into account what happened during Katrina and applied it to their lives in terms of preparation.
    People around the world, in general, are sheeple. They take for granted so many facets of life- food, fuel, housing- and pay little heed to the train of circumstances that bring these goods into their lives, and how fragile that train really is. They spend their days worrying more about their favorite sport team, or who is getting knocked out this week on american idol, or when that flat-screen is going to go on sale at best buy... and dont bother to understand what is going on literally right beneath the surface of the glossy sheen the media puts on the daily news.

Just take Fukushima and the meltdown there, just over a year ago. It was in the news for a couple of weeks- but how much have you heard over the past year? Next to nothing, I am sure, unless you actually hit the internet and search it out for yourself. Want sobering news about Japan? Search for Arnie Gundersen. He is a nuclear engineer turned pseudo-activist. A couple of months ago he traveled to Tokyo, and took several random soil samples from around the city. When he had them tested, every single one was radioactive enough that he, in the US, they would have been classified as nuclear waste, and had to have been disposed of in the same way as spent fuel rods from reactors. And this was in Tokyo, which is several hundred miles away from Fukushima.

The west coast of the US has been inundated with radioactivity from Fukushima since a couple of days after the tsunami/meltdown. After the EPA found levels of Cesium-133 to be hundreds of times what it considered safe, in San Francisco, they stopped taking weekly readings and went back to quarterly. Does that tell you anything?

I disagree with Dion in thinking the US economy is stable. I think the opposite- that we are on the precipice of failure, and that 15 trillion in debt is the albatross around our collective neck. Meanwhile we have 535 "representatives" in Washington who pay little, if any, heed to the people they claim to represent- and continue to vote for spending bill after spending bill, with no clear indication of how it will ever be paid for. All the while, the prices of everything continue to creep ever so slowly upwards...and the people generally do nothing at all but go to work, come home and watch tv, go to sleep...repeat.

Katrina should have most definitely been a wake-up call. If the people expect the government to bail them out when disaster strikes, they really have a rude awakening in store. I went and did some repair work in New Orleans a couple of months after the hurricane hit. A lot of the locals who remained, that I spoke with, thought that they were worse off than the people who lost everything and were forced by circumstance to leave town. Those who stayed had to deal with a criminal police department, martial law by the national guard, food and water shortages, looting... the list goes on. Not a single one of them had any faith in ANY governmental agency being able to help them out. Sure, FEMA passed out VISA debit cards...you should have seen the lines at Best Buy with homeless people buying big-screen TVs. No joke, people who previously lived in a shack in the ghetto that had holes in the walls, and a leaky roof, were buying big screen TVs with their FEMA debit cards because it was free money from the government. I cant make this sh!t up.

Europe, most notably Greece right now, should be a focal point for every American. What has been happening in Greece over the past decade is what is happening now in the US. The fact that it is Greece is of little importance- the fact that their economy used to be much like ours is now ought to be of major importance, because the Greeks are living proof that social handouts and programs are the surest way to bankrupt a nation- and they are having their own zombie problems over there right now, with mass demonstrations and failed elections. What plays out there is quite possibly a dress rehearsal for what may play out here in the not-too-distant future.

Beans, bullets and band-aids- stock up on all of them and you are setting yourself up for success when the zombie hordes start to spread. Make a plan to GTFO of wherever you live now, even if you have nowhere specific to go, especially if you live in a major metro area. Plan multiple escape routes- the "best" route you come up with is likely to be the same "best" route that several thousand enterprising people have also come up with, so have a fallback. Have several.
    Have your family understand the severity of having to bug out, and make certain they know there wont be time to grab all the pictures, auntie Bertha's silver, Grandpa Ed's war medals...your own ass is far more important than the trinkets. A couple of sets of clothes and shoes for everyone, a stash of food and water. If the kids are old enough, they need to learn how to use a weapon. If you are a gun-hating pacifist, good luck- everyone else you encounter is going to be armed, and most, if not all, will have no bones at all about shooting you if you appear to be a threat to them or their family/group.

As far as occupy/anonymous goes... occupy is a joke. i tend to agree more than not, that occupy was created with the sole intent of being noisemakers out to distract the public from whats really happening. 99% my ass- the real 99% dont have time to protest Wall Street or sh!t on cop cars because we are either at work earning a check, or out looking for work so we can earn a check.

Anonymous? I think theres a greater possibility for revolutionary behavior there. Disaffected basement dwellers? Yeah, some may be, but the nature of the movement dictates that those involved have some measure of skill with computers, and that alone says that they have some measure of intelligence. If a couple of nerds can bring down government websites, even if just to deface it, what do you think they could do if the time came that the getting caught part was no longer relevant? As digitally controlled as our world is right now, I think its safe to assume that they could shut down air travel, rail travel, power and water plants, communications channels...the list goes on.

All of a sudden a zombie apocalypse looks less like The Walking Dead, and more like something that could really happen, in the real world.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Just take Fukushima and the meltdown there, just over a year ago. It was in the news for a couple of weeks- but how much have you heard over the past year? Next to nothing, I am sure, unless you actually hit the internet and search it out for yourself. Want sobering news about Japan? Search for Arnie Gundersen. He is a nuclear engineer turned pseudo-activist. A couple of months ago he traveled to Tokyo, and took several random soil samples from around the city. When he had them tested, every single one was radioactive enough that he, in the US, they would have been classified as nuclear waste, and had to have been disposed of in the same way as spent fuel rods from reactors. And this was in Tokyo, which is several hundred miles away from Fukushima.
    Nice write-up overall, but this part is pure bollocks. There is no conspiracy and absolutely no danger from Fukushima around here whatsoever in any form or shape. Radiation is actually the easiest thing to monitor and test.

There where NO dangerous levels detected anywhere here. It is a tin hat lie. I can go to my former lab, pick up simple equipment and test myself at a level orders of magnitude more sensitive then any discernible level of danger. (I do know a bit about this, as long time ago I had publications in "Physics of Atomic Nuclei" and others on topics of particle detectors... so not a complete guess on my part)

I would be worried about salmonella in your salad or flesh eating bacteria in your river or pesticide on your apples one thousand times before worrying about a few extra radioactive atoms found somewhere.

Suckin wind like a boss
    Fair enough that you have experience in the nuclear field - I have no grounds to dispute it anyhow. Regardless, do you then say that Arnie gundersen is full of sh!t? Everything I have seen the man present appears to be on the up-and-up, and he is well received in the nuclear field.

Until I see otherwise, I'm buyin what he's sellin.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Fair enough that you have experience in the nuclear field - I have no grounds to dispute it anyhow. Regardless, do you then say that Arnie gundersen is full of sh!t? Everything I have seen the man present appears to be on the up-and-up, and he is well received in the nuclear field.

Until I see otherwise, I'm buyin what he's sellin.
    That man is a charlatan. He may have been a good engineer and executive, but he appears to be utterly ignorant on the topic of radiation health hazards. It is completely impossible to hide radioactive contamination and its effects. End of story. Nothing to see there.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    People around the world, in general, are sheeple.
    Agreed with everything you say Big T. When I said the US is stable, I meant right now in comparison to other parts of the world.

I work in the financial industry (I'm just a plain ol' insurance guy, so don't shoot the messenger) and I talk about national debt, taxes, ridiculous retirement strategies that are failing, the exhaustion of SSI in 2037, etc. and people do the "Oh my!" then back to east, sleep, sex, sh|t, TV, sleep again.

I was watching the news the other night (well, my wife was watching it, and I try my best to tune out of that cluster fcuk), and it was 6 stories in a row of murders, misc. deaths and bodies found. After that it's, "We have bright sunny days in the forecast!" Dude... we go to SLEEP with that in our heads! How does that not fcuk with somebody's psyche?

Reminds me of Land of the Dead when they would shoot off the fireworks, all the zombies would stare into the sky, and people could walk by them while the zombies were mesmerized. Then what happened? All the zombies said "F that S - we're eaten' people!" and then ignored the fireworks.

Pretty soon, the fireworks aren't going work anymore. It can go towards enlightenment and peace, or complete and utter chaos. Radical groups have not yet taken up arms - but it's just a matter of time.

It's sad that people don't open their minds and look at the big picture. I think many "zombies" are staring at fireworks right now.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    I was watching the news the other night (well, my wife was watching it, and I try my best to tune out of that cluster fcuk), and it was 6 stories in a row of murders, misc. deaths and bodies found. After that it's, "We have bright sunny days in the forecast!" Dude... we go to SLEEP with that in our heads! How does that not fcuk with somebody's psyche?
    Look up "cultivation theory" and "mean world syndrome".

It is actually not bad at all out there. Better than it ever was in the history of the mankind, and it is not really turning to the worst.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    weapons:
    hatchet/machete
    pump action shotgun preferably an Remington 870 marine.
    optional: second shotgun, preferably a Saiga 12 (drum fed, semi auto), mostly useful during escape phase of plan
    optional: crossbow ( easier to operate than regular bow, especially 1 handed)
    optional: .357 revolver ( easy to maintain and, can shoot .38, .357, and 9mm.)

other supplies:
    maps, compass, sextant, watch. ( and a basic understanding of how to navigate that way)
    nice multitool.
    2 clear plastic shower curtains ( usefull for shelter/rain collection/ghetto desalinator)
    100+ yrds of good rope
    a few titanium sporks
    multiple canteens
    hiking water purification systems ( pellets/pump) for emergencies only you dont want to rely on expendables for primary water.
    a pot
    reliable reusable method of making fire
    a good file ( for making other stuff and keeping sharp things sharp)
    stash of smokeless powder, wads, primers and crimp tool for making shotgun reloads. this is also why you want a pump shotgun as they'll still cycle even on light loaded rounds.
    field shovel.

usefull literature ( print copies) until you know it well enough to teach:
    mit lockpicking guide ( with bump key addendum)
    proficient sailing
    field botany handbook w/ pictures( for discerning edible plants)
    army field manual : FMFRP 12-43 ( improvised mines and booby traps) or similar reference.

last but not least:
    a towel
    Last edited by Slozomby; 06-01-2012 at 02:21 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I now have a family with young children (3 1/2 and 5) so the original plan of heading into the woods is less practical. I have a solid cache of guns and ammo, a big dog, food and water at my house and a relatively open line of sight in all directions. There is a lot of wildlife and a large pond near by to replenish water if needed. I am pretty comfortable with fortifying here and worst case I have a 4x4 SUV and property in VT. It's not "isolated" but definitely less populated than CT.

since 4/10/2009
    Fair enough about general disaster preparedness and whatnot. I think what gets lost sometimes is that folks need to consider their prep methods in light of the likely and possible disasters for their geography.

For example, disaster preparedness is going to differ a bit between folks who are likely to have a big earthquake, folks likely to experience hurricanes, and folks likely to experience blizzards. I think for the US, widespread social meltdown is a further down the list. Certainly more localized social meltdown is a likely problem associated with other local disasters, as Katrina eloquently demonstrated.

I do plan to keep a better supply of firearms and ammo than I currently have, though. I do understand that defensive capability against other people would be a necessary aspect of any prep plan, as some portion of folks will arm themselves to go on the offensive. All the prepping in the world WRT food, water, and other resources won't be worth a damn if your neighbor can simply steal it from you.

But this brings up another question. So it's generally recognized that assembling a team of folks with a variety of skills as part of your disaster plan is a good idea. Who here has done so, and what sort of skills do you have pooled together?

As for me, I have not specifically discussed this with anyone except my wife. However, my wife adds important skills that would be necessary in a group. My wife is a veterinarian, so she has the skills to handle a variety of medical problems. She specifically has a pretty good deal of experience with various traumatic wounds like gunshots, broken bones, impalings and gorings, infections, and stuff like that which could be big problems in an apocalypse type situation. Raiding a pharmacy is high on her list of things to do and she knows what to do with most of the stuff in there.

Otherwise, I come from decidedly blue collar stock. By the end of the summer when I move, I will have access to most of my family who have a lot of manual labor type skills from engine repair to welding, electrical skills, general mechanic skills, etc. In an apocalypse situation, it would make sense to try to link up with family. Most of the men in my family also have additional guns and ammo. Mostly handguns and shotguns. My grandparents have a reasonably defensible property in Indy. It's suburban, yes, but they have some steep topography on part of the property that would improve defensibility and the home has good visibility and plenty of space for growing food and setting up a defensive perimeter. The house would also need few mods to set it up to be self sufficient. It has a well and septic, so not reliant on city services for that. There is a functional windmill on the property that could be fitted with equipment to generate some electricity, too (probably would need to set up a battery storage system). It even has geothermal heating, which is reasonably efficient. My grandparents already raise chickens there, so it's got a good start.

Jericho is a worthwhile show for folks interested in a general social meltdown type situation. I see it's on Netflix these days, too.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    raiding a pharmacy is on alot of peoples lists. which is why i wont do it. too high of a probability of getting in a gun fight with other survivors. where as waiting for things to settle down a bit then raiding suburbia's collective medicine chest will get you everything you need. some antibiotics and some pain meds and bandages will take care of most of your immediate needs, until its safer to forage for them.

outside of medical training. thief training is next in my head. being able to pick a lock lets you lock the door behind you. where as busting down the door removes a potential defensive advantage.

basic woodlands skills ( hunting, fishing, foraging). sailing (preferably deep water), and defensive training (traps and tactics).

the ability to make hard alcohol is highly useful. ( portable fuel source, sterilization, getting sloppy drunk)

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Axe View Post
    Look up "cultivation theory" and "mean world syndrome".

It is actually not bad at all out there. Better than it ever was in the history of the mankind, and it is not really turning to the worst.
    Right, the world was much more violent in past history. Agreed. But I think in terms of the human psyche, the feeling like were piled on top of each other, the growing population, and most of all - the interconnectedness that the internet has brought us, I'm not sure if the human mind can wrap itself around the idea of "one tribe" of billions and billions of people.

It's easy to sit back and say, "Hey, it's not bad..." when, in fact, things are bad - considering that we are an incredibly advance civilization. We should be MUCH better than we are. In a world where we have Karachi gangs and space exploration at the same time is a bit mind boggling. It's important for humans to be highly critical of ourselves, otherwise we just consume with no recourse.

BACK ON TOPIC: Anybody watch Mountain Men? I just watched it last night... man... these guys are prepared for the zombie apocalypse 10 fold.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Axe View Post
    Yep, sure.. when socialistic programs killed your economy the solution is more socialism. Plunder and burn while you are at it..

As a person who lived through the fall of the Soviet Union all I can say is good luck everybody.

.. $15T national debt is bad, but at 100% of GDP is not too bad. Interesting reason is that the whole rest of the world had been buying that debt up - kinda tells you where US stands in comparison.
    Eh, sorry. I may have directed this into a political thread. No comment per terms of use.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Slozomby View Post
    raiding a pharmacy is on alot of peoples lists. which is why i wont do it. too high of a probability of getting in a gun fight with other survivors. where as waiting for things to settle down a bit then raiding suburbia's collective medicine chest will get you everything you need. some antibiotics and some pain meds and bandages will take care of most of your immediate needs, until its safer to forage for them.

outside of medical training. thief training is next in my head. being able to pick a lock lets you lock the door behind you. where as busting down the door removes a potential defensive advantage.

basic woodlands skills ( hunting, fishing, foraging). sailing (preferably deep water), and defensive training (traps and tactics).

the ability to make hard alcohol is highly useful. ( portable fuel source, sterilization, getting sloppy drunk)
    the medical supplies we have on hand would tide us over until the bulk of the raiding is done with. most people raiding pharmacies won't know what they're looking at, anyway. so there will likely be plenty of useful leftovers to use.

very true about lockpicking skills. that'd be worth learning.

steam distillation would be useful for a lot of things. I'd want to get my hands on a Merck index, a drug index, and other relevant reference books (including books about medicinal plants). with these types of books (as well as raiding a high school chemistry lab) would net you most of the equipment and information necessary to isolate medicinal substances from plants when the pharmacies are empty.

sailing would only be a useful skill if you were anywhere near large bodies of water but I am doubtful that it'd be an essential skill in most cases. if you were on an island, it'd certainly be an essential skill for getting OFF that island and finding enough resources.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    its not just about the sailing. its all the little skills you pick up while doing so. needlework, ropes, old school navigation techniques, proper food rationing, fishing, rain collection/desalination with basic materials ..... which is why i recommended deep water where your resupply might be weeks away. for me ( less than 1 mile from the pacific ocean) its critical. i can see how this might be less useful for someone in Colorado. but its one of the better methods of learning to be a minimalist. nothing like being 1000 miles from rescue to teach self reliance.
    Last edited by Slozomby; 06-01-2012 at 04:54 PM.

Is not amused
    Adding to the list of what one should develop some skills in is Mout tactics. This would help out a lot of people in urban environment. Hence "Mout" stands for military operations in urban environment. It's all fine and dandy if you have weapons along with ammunition to back them up but, if all the shooting you do is behind a table at a fixed target, I'm sure you going to have some problems when sh!t hits the fan. As for me being a field MP basically all infantry tactics being taught to me along with all the medical stuff to help aid myself and others. So i'll be cool with riots and zombies but, for you paper pushers and that's fine that you do that. No offense to you and what you do for a living. I'm just saying google some pdfs on military tactics and Mout tactics cause they will save your life. If zombies start walking around, riots break out, an asteroid hits the earth and total chaos breaks out, sheesh, I'll go as far as to say if the devil rises and brings up all his demon folk from hell and starts a fight, stuff I learned in the military will save my life and people around me if any of the above happens. Oh and one last thing can we please not turn every thread by the end of page two into a lacitilop debate.

Edit forgot to add to the military tactic stuff. Shooting zombies is only fun for so long and along with other tactics you could set up some sweet a$$ booby traps to say cut them in half, have a wire line cut their head off. Lots of fun stuff to kill them besides shooting them.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    It's easy to sit back and say, "Hey, it's not bad..." when, in fact, things are bad - considering that we are an incredibly advance civilization. We should be MUCH better than we are.
    I really do not think so. I lived through disintegration of the Soviet Union - and instead of the nuclear holocaust, civil war and world wide chaos it was some minor inconveniences. It is actually quite amazing how mundane such a global change was done - compared to the conflicts of the yesteryear.

If anything, I can see how we could have been MUCH worse. I have visited some conflict zone - it is not pretty.

Huckin' trails
    Here in Quebec, you don't even need guns.

We have a badass winter to freeze hem up and a ****ing bad government they won't even allow zombies to show up in public.

And we got the polar bears on our side
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

Formerly mtbnoobadam
    MOUT: Military Operations on Urban Terrain will be a very useful tool in the toolbox when it comes to re-supplying

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I have a 3day bag for 2 people in my truck at all times (im in FLA so it also works for hurricanes).
    In my bugout bag i have a fiveseven and a ar57 close by, with 2k rnds and 12mags for the ar and 4 for the 5.7. Also food for 3-4 and clothing for 2 weeks.
    My plan is to hop on my airboat, go deep into the glades, find an island and stay there until everything cools off. The gators will take of any zombie swimmers and will keep me fed for a while.

If I have time I also have plenty of firearms with suppressors for a quiter kill

Is not amused
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbnoobadam View Post
    MOUT: Military Operations on Urban Terrain will be a very useful tool in the toolbox when it comes to re-supplying
    Thanks for the correction. Gonna guess Army?

Formerly mtbnoobadam
    Thanks for the correction. Gonna guess Army?
    Guilty

since 4/10/2009
    I heard some time ago about some federal agency, maybe the FBI, offering some sort of urban training. I have wanted to do itsince I heard of it. But this is why teams are important. Can't reasonably expect everyone to have all the necessary skills.

The key is to make sure you have some useful skills of some kind - the more uncommon the better - you can add to a group to improve the group's survival

Formerly mtbnoobadam
    I heard some time ago about some federal agency, maybe the FBI, offering some sort of urban training. I have wanted to do itsince I heard of it. But this is why teams are important. Can't reasonably expect everyone to have all the necessary skills.

The key is to make sure you have some useful skills of some kind - the more uncommon the better - you can add to a group to improve the group's survival
    There are a lot of private organizations that provide useful tactical training for civilians. This is one I found in Texas with a quick google search. 360 Tactical Training | Home

Huckin' trails
    Don't forget a few good knifes. And a shitload of toilet paper.
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

Is not amused

That would cost so much money for you to be trained. There is a ton of pdf's online to look up what you want to find out. The reason someone should have some basic knowledge of this stuff is because if your one team member who is specialized military tactics goes down you have nothing back to fall on. The only school I can think of for the civilian populous is AMU American Military University. Now if I could find a USMC methods of entry PDF I would be set and could really blow some crap up.

There are a lot of private organizations that provide useful tactical training for civilians. This is one I found in Texas with a quick google search. 360 Tactical Training | Home
    Just looked at some of the prices for a class on that site. Yikes. I don't know what your MOS is Mtbnoobadam but i'm sure any training that you have had has far surpassed one day. Their advanced class for pistol handling skills is 800$ for eight hours, plus the cost of you driving there.
    Last edited by Hutch3637; 06-01-2012 at 09:19 PM.

Formerly mtbnoobadam
    That would cost so much money for you to be trained. There is a ton of pdf's online to look up what you want to find out. The reason someone should have some basic knowledge of this stuff is because if your one team member who is specialized military tactics goes down you have nothing back to fall on. The only school I can think of for the civilian populous is AMU American Military University. Now if I could find a USMC methods of entry PDF I would be set and could really blow some crap up.

Just looked at some of the prices for a class on that site. Yikes. I don't know what your MOS is Mtbnoobadam but i'm sure any training that you have had has far surpassed one day. Their advanced class for pistol handling skills is 800$ for eight hours, plus the cost of you driving there.
    Yikes! I didn't even check the prices. I'm sure even finance clerks have had more tactical training than that company could offer in one day. I guess it all boils down to how bad you want the training. Reading a pdf and actually being able to perform the tactics without any prior experience would be tough to do and actually get it right. Having a trained individual walk you through the tactics for one day so you could continue to practice them on your own in the future could be worth the cost if that was your only option.

I am a bradley mechanic attached to infantry for the past 7 years. Just enough training to make me useful

Is not amused
    Yikes! I didn't even check the prices. I'm sure even finance clerks have had more tactical training than that company could offer in one day. I guess it all boils down to how bad you want the training. Reading a pdf and actually being able to perform the tactics without any prior experience would be tough to do and actually get it right. Having a trained individual walk you through the tactics for one day so you could continue to practice them on your own in the future could be worth the cost if that was your only option.

I am a bradley mechanic attached to infantry for the past 7 years. Just enough training to make me useful

True, but for me if i knew nothing there is no way in hell I would spend that much for a class. PDF all the way. Besides you could make it a game in the backyard for practice with the family with plastic squirt guns and water balloon hand grenades. Then bring it "the game" into the house and practice there.

For everyone else:
    Here is the USMC MOUT PDF. It's from 1998 and has been updated but it has almost 400 pages worth of information to learn.

http://modernsurvivalonline.com/File...m/mcwp3353.pdf

Suckin wind like a boss

True, but for me if i knew nothing there is no way in hell I would spend that much for a class. PDF all the way. Besides you could make it a game in the backyard for practice with the family with plastic squirt guns and water balloon hand grenades. Then bring it "the game" into the house and practice there.

For everyone else:
    Here is the USMC MOUT PDF. It's from 1998 and has been updated but it has almost 400 pages worth of information to learn.

http://modernsurvivalonline.com/File...m/mcwp3353.pdf
    awesome, nice addition to my collection. thanks

Formerly mtbnoobadam
    The Army Ranger handbook
    http://www.milsci.ucsb.edu/UCSB_Army...20Handbook.pdf
    A list of Army field manuals in pdf form
    Army Field Manuals

since 4/10/2009
    The class I heard about way back when was actually pretty affordable and had you using the actual training facilities the pros use...and IIRC it was more than one day. I will try to see if I can find it.

http://www.fbi.gov/indianapolis/news-and-outreach/in-your-community/outreach

Each field office does the program. Less of it is dedicated to tactical work as I recall, but long term memories get skewed like that. One of the pages I read mentioned emergency driving practice, too. And best of all, I found no cost listed. Kinda figures, we all essentially pay for it with taxes.
    Last edited by Harold; 06-01-2012 at 11:15 PM.

9 lives
    I (♥) zombies

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ZPNqub966Tw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

Suckin wind like a boss
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclelicious View Post
    I (♥) zombies

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ZPNqub966Tw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    that. was. freaking. AWESOME.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclelicious View Post
    I (♥) zombies
    very nice, very nice.

mtbr member
    Zombie chicks still want it?......Who knew?

Axe
    Custom User Title
    My not yet four-year old got hooked on playing Plants vs Zombies video game on his iPod. He is surprisingly good at it, though not yet good enough at actually winning levels.

We have spent some time this weekend planting exploding potatoes in our backyard. Yes, the motivation was to protect against zombies eating our brains. We have planted three potatoes in a row.

Suckin wind like a boss
    better back that tater bomb with some tallnuts.

or hasnt crazy dave given them to him yet?

since 4/10/2009
    so apparently there's an informal race to create zombie vehicles. looks like car makers are trying to cash in mostly.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/4VYh4UbrT88" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/GRXPFztmCfw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I married a witch.
    I've been on a bit of a post apocalyptic reading spree lately.

Books like the Dies the Fire series by S.M. Sterling take an interesting view of a rebuilding of the world, and the dynamics that could follow (as long as you don't mind the magic stuff, and the fact that gun powder and electricity don't work in this story line.)

I just finished the book Lucifer's Hammer, and while it was very slow getting up to speed, the ideas the author added to the story about prepping for a disaster (in this case it was having the Earth struck by a comet, not a plague of the undead) and what some people thought they'd need to survive.

I've always looked at the buying gold and silver as a strange way to prepare. Sure, it's a good "long term" investment, if everything else collapses. But if in the initial months, or even years, no one needs currency, and what they really want is meat, bread, and something safe to drink, then precious metals won't be worth nearly as much as a chicken, or some goat milk.

An interesting concept that Lucifer's Hammer proposed is that a good stash of simple things like pepper, or alcohol would make much better trade goods.

Another topic in that book that struck home with something I've thought about a bit, is having a large stash of supplies, in a suburban environment is pretty much wasted effort and resources. Your pretty little two story at the end of that cul de sac will be a pretty miserable place to try to hole up for the long haul, once the water pressure drops and you can't just turn on the tap. Try to picture life at home without water and electricity being supplied for a week, or a month. Those bathrooms of yours just became waterless closets. Between the proposed zombies patiently gnawing their way in, or waves of pillaging gangs, you're not likely going to find yourself in a very defensible position.

So, if you decide to roam to find greener pastures, woodlands and spring fed streams, consider the odds of being able to make it there through the worst rush hour traffic possible, with many other people heading to the local national forest with the same idea.

Farming communities will put up road blocks so the city folk locusts can't rob them of the little food stores they have. Giant agriculture made possible by modern tractors, irrigation techniques and pesticides will grind to a halt. Your admission to such communities would likely be based solely on what skills you can provide. Are you a medical professional for either people, or animals? An engineer? Or maybe you've got some more old fashioned skills, such as being a farrier, or a black smith?

If you're trying to homestead, would smaller animals be better? One cow is quite an investment to be lost by some starving person killing it just to steal enough meat they could carry before someone caught them in the act. Yet a herd of goats, a large flock of free range chickens, a pond with ducks, and stocked with an easy to raise fish, like tilapia, or catfish, might be the better way to go. The occasional loss of one or two of these wouldn't be tragic.

People who brag about having an arsenal of weapons also puzzle me. How many guns can you shoot at the same time? How many different types of ammunition do the guns use, and how much of it can you carry with you as you're trying to evacuate? When you run out of ammo, can you reload your own, or will that gun just become a terribly unwieldy club?

I recently met some folks who practice older ways of farming as their lifestyle. They make their own cloth, raise their own food, cut their own lumber and build their homes from materials harvested locally. Personally, I think folks like that will fare better in the upcoming end of the world situation, be it zombie, asteroid, or magical destruction of all things modern, than any of the rest of us.
    Be respectful to the disrespectful, wise to the unwise, caring to the uncaring, courteous to the uncourteous.
    My Riding Blog

banned
    May 2012
    In event of a zombie uprise...
    I'm going into business and catering to the zombies. They have needs and desires too.. I'm thinking BIG business here, fast food, day care for the little ones, gyms, night clubs (er' body knows zombies love a good rave) and public transport.

Zombies will be my retirement!

I married a witch.
    TYC, you are quite the entrepreneur!
    Be respectful to the disrespectful, wise to the unwise, caring to the uncaring, courteous to the uncourteous.
    My Riding Blog

since 4/10/2009
    Interesting insights. You've got a good point regarding the modern suburban home. city water, city sewer, and other urban utilities just won't work.

with that said, you could keep a septic system going, for at least awhile. I am shopping around for houses and am finding this is still available in some places. of course, it won't work with water and you'll need a way to get that. a well with some kind of pumping system would be necessary. a windmill would probably be the most reliable long term, but if you've got the skills to maintain it, you could go with an electric pump powered by stored electricity from wind and/or solar.

you'd at minimum need a fireplace in such a home for winter heating, though. and the multi-thousand sf McMansions aren't going to work out well for you. Smaller is better in these cases, for heat retention.

I think I agree with you on the smaller livestock issue. you can raise a number of smaller animals on the resources a single cow would require...and that cow won't be doing any reproduction which means no future cattle, no milk, and your meat supply won't last long. I think probably chickens and sheep would take care of a lot of your needs. from chickens you get feathers (insulation), eggs (renewable food source), and meat (less renewable food source, likely just for older birds no longer in prime reproductive age). from sheep you get wool (fibers for clothing), milk (renewable food, can be used to make butter, cheese, cream), and meat. but with that said, goats would probably also be worth adding, since goats and sheep have different diets and can be raised in different areas. Goats being more browsers and being better in forested areas and sheep more grazers and doing better in grasslands.

weapons have their place. when the fit hits the shan, you're going to have to worry about other people. it is going to be chaos and self defense is going to be paramount before you can settle down into an agricultural or hunter gatherer lifestyle. once the population thins out due to disease, war, and famine, the weapons will be much less important.

yes, modern pastoral cultures like the Amish and others will barely skip a beat, so long as they can escape any resulting violence.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    "a windmill would probably be the most reliable long term, but if you've got the skills to maintain it, you could go with an electric pump powered by stored electricity from wind and/or solar."

put those hours of spin class to good use.

Pedal powered water pump - YouTube

I married a witch.
    There's also the idea of trying to connected with loved ones if the "event" occurs while you or they are away from home. How much effort do you put into trying to reconnect? When do you consider it a lost cause and that they aren't going to be joining you?

I have a wife here at home, and not too far away (along the most direct evacuation route, fortunately) lives my mom, and my brother who has Down Syndrome.

I don't think I've read a story about how the main character of the tale would deal with surviving the apocalypse with a relative that had a mental disability. I was thinking about that yesterday, and how it might make an interesting plot line.

I also notice that most people assume that while the majority of humanity will bite it in the first days/weeks/months of a major disaster, they firmly believe they'll survive.

Optimism is not dead... or is it undead?
    My Riding Blog

since 4/10/2009
    Now that stationary bike water pump is what I'm talking about. Good stuff. Flush the toilet and go pedal for 10min.

I think in most apocalytic scenarios, most death will take some time to occur. It's probably most likely that there are relatively few deaths at first but what will really screw things up is the fear.

People who can hold themselves together will have a better shot than the ones who panic. I would hedge my bets than more people die in the ensuing panic than anything

banned
    Jan 2012
    Everyone, let Smitth & Wesson make this gun please:
    J/K, Everyone should invest in an old Volvo, a crowbar [a red-white one], and medkits and food/water, and ofcourse some guns, shotgun and 9mm would do the trick..

Members who have read this thread: 0