Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Zombie Movie Nerds... UNITE

I think I've seen every zombie movie ever made - well, maybe not the pre-Romero stuff. Here's a list of some that you may have not seen, but are definitely worth the watch.

Mutants - French apocalypse movie, screaming virus zombies

The Horde - Another French zombie movie. A cop vs. gang conflict goes bad, and guess what? Zombies are happening outside.

Fido - Set in the 1950's, humans learn to domesticate zombies. Bad idea.

Dead Alive - Epic tale of love, but when a man's mother get's bit by a sick rat - problems arise.

Living Dead at Manchester Morgue - After a chick damages a dude's motorcycle, she agrees to give him a ride to his destination - bad move, chick.

Zombie (1979) - Zombie vs. shark in an underwater fight scene. 'Nuff said.

World of the Dead; Zombie Diaries II - I guess you have to watch the first one, but it sucked. Another zombie survival movie, presented in a found footage style.

I've tried a few recent Netflix zombie movies - but I just can't. Some are so lame that I can't even get through the first 15 mins. If you have any obscure recommendations, I'd like to hear them! But, I think I've seen 98% of the zombie films made.

since 4/10/2009
    Keep yor eyes peeled for christmas with the dead. It premiered this week and I'm told it will be doing some sort of film fest circuit in coming weeks and maybe months prior to dvd release

poser Administrator
    Obviously besides "Shawn of the Dead" check out the swedish film: http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/De...?trkid=2361637 Dead Snow. Stupid but entertaining in a way that all those horrible american zombie flicks just can't get a grip on. Plus Nazis.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

Suckin wind like a boss
    dead snow is freakin amazing!

Is not amused
    Watching Outpost Black sun right now. UK film about Nazi zombies. Worth a watch IMO. The trailer is in German but, that makes it sound more bad ass. The movie is in English.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/6ZSuyHayR8E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    Last edited by Hutch3637; 05-04-2012 at 07:04 PM.
    Yip yip yip nope nope nope

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    A very obscure zombie movie I recently watched was yet another French film called "They Came Back". Nothing scary, no flesh eating, no make up... but the movie opens up with all who recently passed away coming back to life, perfectly healthy.

It's a story of how society will integrate them back in and how loved ones deal with their spouses, children and family members coming back on an emotional level.

The dead are really not the same, and it's if they are suffering PTSD.

It's a profound question of "What if?" and for anybody who's lost a family member (like myself) unexpectedly, it tackles this difficult question. It's a dry drama, but interesting if you are into those sort of things.

mtbr member
    Not exactly "Zombie" but check out 28 days latter, and the 2nd movie 28 weeks latter. Both these films are from UK. I've been enjoying non-Hollywood stuff more lately.

I also think every paintball park should have a zombie day.
    Round and round we go

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by theMeat View Post
    Not exactly "Zombie" but check out 28 days latter, and the 2nd movie 28 weeks latter. Both these films are from UK. I've been enjoying non-Hollywood stuff more lately.

two great movies, but they have become zombie classics in their own right. I dunno if they created the "fast zombie" category, but they sure did a lot to popularize it.

I'm gonna have to check out some of these obscure zombie flicks for sure.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    two great movies, but they have become zombie classics in their own right. I dunno if they created the "fast zombie" category, but they sure did a lot to popularize it.

Fast zombies were introduced in the remake of Dawn of the Dead (2004), written by James Gunn. Both the original and remake are very good... but when you put it into perspective the original was quite ground breaking.

The other Romero film that doesn't get much props, but I enjoyed it, was Diary of the Dead. It was a commentary of how the internet and social media (in 2007) will play into a worldwide catastrophe. I loved it because it shows what technology has done to the human condition in terms of detachment from reality. Good flick.

I do want to say something about the most ground breaking film in the Zombie genre, but possibly in the entire horror genre - Night of the Living Dead (1968).

When you look at what was going on in America at that time and the racial tension that plagued us, Romero employs an intelligent, put together, savvy black man at the forefront - the hero and main character. His interaction with Barbara (who was a bumbling mess), I could only imagine in 1968, had to be very uncomfortable for many viewers. It's quite interesting when you look at the time of the film within historical context.

The 1990 remake puts Barbara as the heroine; the survivor. Also put into historical context, the late 80's was an incredible time for women in terms of advancing into the forefront of business and politics. I thought that was a good move.

I don't like it when zombies have "special skills" like doing martial arts or crawling on ceilings, with the exception of I Am Legend. But this occurred in the remake of Day of the Dead and it just made it very silly.

Individual zombies are not scary - a brick to the head will take care of that. It's the horde that, I think, taps into our fears.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    For zombie nerds, I think the 28 Days movies are staples, as is Shaun of the Dead, and all Romero movies. The ones I mentioned above go pretty deep into zombie nerd territory, and definitely not for everybody. Especially "They Came Back", which is only a zombie movie because dead people came back to life - but it is not, in any way, a horror movie.

There is already something similar:

5K Obstacle Course Zombie Race - Run For Your Lives

I wish they did this in Cali - I would do it in a heartbeat.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post
    Fast zombies were introduced in the remake of Dawn of the Dead (2004), written by James Gunn. Both the original and remake are very good... but when you put it into perspective the original was quite ground breaking.

The other Romero film that doesn't get much props, but I enjoyed it, was Diary of the Dead. It was a commentary of how the internet and social media (in 2007) will play into a worldwide catastrophe. I loved it because it shows what technology has done to the human condition in terms of detachment from reality. Good flick.

I do want to say something about the most ground breaking film in the Zombie genre, but possibly in the entire horror genre - Night of the Living Dead (1968).

When you look at what was going on in America at that time and the racial tension that plagued us, Romero employs an intelligent, put together, savvy black man at the forefront - the hero and main character. His interaction with Barbara (who was a bumbling mess), I could only imagine in 1968, had to be very uncomfortable for many viewers. It's quite interesting when you look at the time of the film within historical context.

The 1990 remake puts Barbara as the heroine; the survivor. Also put into historical context, the late 80's was an incredible time for women in terms of advancing into the forefront of business and politics. I thought that was a good move.

I don't like it when zombies have "special skills" like doing martial arts or crawling on ceilings, with the exception of I Am Legend. But this occurred in the remake of Day of the Dead and it just made it very silly.

Individual zombies are not scary - a brick to the head will take care of that. It's the horde that, I think, taps into our fears.
    I will be busy on Netflix for the summer, I think. the original night of the living dead is an awesome movie. love it. I need to watch it again, though. it's been awhile.

SS Pusher Man
    Best Zombie movie:

Bicycles donít have motors or batteries.

Ebikes are not bicycles

see me rollin, they hatin
    love 28 days later. that may have been the only one that truly scared me because, well, they RUN, and it involves a virus which could theoretically happen, and finally, i have nightmares now about it. fun fun.

i can never trust rumors, but is another sequel coming out for 28 days?

Still want a fat bike....
    For those who love the movies, check out Adrian's Undead Diary online if you like to read. Its a great "blog" story that is over now, but a great read in general. Spans an entry or two a week for around 2 years with some daily routine stuff and several back stories. Good stuff for zombie lovers.
    I am a man of many words. KCCO!

mtbr member
    Not all that good, and extremely disturbing and totally F'ed up is "Dead Girl" You can stream it off Netflix. It was at least different than just fighting hordes of zombies (which is still awesome of course)

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    Make-Out with Violence

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Ut0bkIs2vZY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    Click Here for Forum Rules

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    Versus

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/fRfhuVlbM-4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Japanese mobster/zombie/apocalypse movie with some samurai stuff thrown in...
    Click Here for Forum Rules

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    World War Z sounds interesting. It will be starring Brad Pitt.

[REC] is the original Spanish version of "Quarantine", which was a remake done a few years back. I liked the original version better, but the American remake stayed true to the original.

"Return of the Living Dead" is as 80's as it gets. I don't know what it was, but the 80's just couldn't keep things serious, and this had a lot of comedy intertwined. I can't help but think that these types of zombie flicks influence the popular Zombieland. I think cocaine has something to do with the making of these movies, because 80's zombie movies were pretty bad.

The 2010 version of "The Crazies" was decent. Water is contaminated and all hell breaks loose as the main characters try to get beyond the quarantined areas. Not bad at all.

Rammbock Berlin Undead is a low-budget, okay-to-watch-because-you-have-nothing-else-to-do movie. What makes the zombies go away is a little ridiculous.

I just saw "The Dead" a couple months ago (last month?). The trailer made it look so good and promising, but poor acting and long drawn-out scenes that didn't do much for the story line ruined it for me. It's about an American military engineer crash landing into the "infected" area in Africa where the dead are ravishing villages. SO much potential, just poorly executed.

I've had Dead Girl on my queue for some time, but I'm not sure if Make Out with Violence is available on streaming. I'll have to check that out (oh, just found out it is).
    Last edited by Dion; 05-04-2012 at 04:17 PM.

Formerly mtbnoobadam
    Not a movie but I thought "The Walking Dead" was pretty good series. Also can't forget about "Zombie Strippers" with Jenna Jameson

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    i can never trust rumors, but is another sequel coming out for 28 days?
    28 months later? 28 years later?

mtbr member
    World War Z sounds interesting. It will be starring Brad Pitt.

[REC] is the original Spanish version of "Quarantine", which was a remake done a few years back. I liked the original version better, but the American remake stayed true to the original.

"Return of the Living Dead" is as 80's as it gets. I don't know what it was, but the 80's just couldn't keep things serious, and this had a lot of comedy intertwined. I can't help but think that these types of zombie flicks influence the popular Zombieland. I think cocaine has something to do with the making of these movies, because 80's zombie movies were pretty bad.

The 2010 version of "The Crazies" was decent. Water is contaminated and all hell breaks loose as the main characters try to get beyond the quarantined areas. Not bad at all.

Rammbock Berlin Undead is a low-budget, okay-to-watch-because-you-have-nothing-else-to-do movie. What makes the zombies go away is a little ridiculous.

I just saw "The Dead" a couple months ago (last month?). The trailer made it look so good and promising, but poor acting and long drawn-out scenes that didn't do much for the story line ruined it for me. It's about an American military engineer crash landing into the "infected" area in Africa where the dead are ravishing villages. SO much potential, just poorly executed.

I've had Dead Girl on my queue for some time, but I'm not sure if Make Out with Violence is available on streaming. I'll have to check that out (oh, just found out it is).
    How bout bad 80's movies like Night of the Comet, or perhaps Night of the creeps? It was the one where the big leeches got in your mouth and turned you into a zombie. I think that was the name anyway. Apparently in the 80's, zombie movies had to have night in the title. Then there was the one with Nicole Eggert. She was a smoking 80's hottie who got her neck broke and the dude who fell for her implanted a robot chip in her head and she became kinda like a zombie. I mean she was dead and had anger issues so thats very zombie like.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by trane0605 View Post
    How bout bad 80's movies like Night of the Comet, or perhaps Night of the creeps? It was the one where the big leeches got in your mouth and turned you into a zombie. I think that was the name anyway. Apparently in the 80's, zombie movies had to have night in the title. Then there was the one with Nicole Eggert. She was a smoking 80's hottie who got her neck broke and the dude who fell for her implanted a robot chip in her head and she became kinda like a zombie. I mean she was dead and had anger issues so thats very zombie like.
    Yes. I've seen almost every 80's zombie movie created.

I forgot to mention the short "Paris by Night of the Living Dead". It stars the very foxy Karina Testa from the movie "Frontiers" (another sweet horror movie, but not zombie). Here you guys go - this is the full short. No subtitles, but there's really no talking - all violence (this one is German dubbed over French).

It's very silly and low budget, but a way to waste 12 mins. if you're a zombie nerd. Enjoy!

conjoinicorned
    Thanks for posting that dion! Deliciously cheesy

No mention of the evil dead series? Bruce Campbell is a zombie icon!

dont forget Re-Animator, classic silly 1980's zombie flick but the gore level is high even by today's jaded standards

Not a huge horror fan but can't get enough zombie! i can stomach the cheesiest crap imaginable (rave to the grave!) if there are zombies involved
    Last edited by ferday; 05-04-2012 at 07:36 PM.
    what would rainbow unicorn do?

since 4/10/2009
    Watching Fido right now. It's with Carrie Ann Moss and is this 50's era setting where people domesticated zombies.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    YouTube the trailer for "Exit Humanity". Fckuing Ay.

conjoinicorned
    YouTube the trailer for "Exit Humanity". Fckuing Ay.
    Awesome.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Great thread... I think I have almost every movie listed in here on DVD. But there are a couple new ones for me to hunt down. Yes I even have the bad ones.....

The other Romero film that doesn't get much props, but I enjoyed it, was Diary of the Dead. It was a commentary of how the internet and social media (in 2007) will play into a worldwide catastrophe. I loved it because it shows what technology has done to the human condition in terms of detachment from reality. Good flick..
    While I liked this film I personally felt like this was Romero trying to beat Max Brooks to the punch. It felt like The Zombie Survival Guide and World War Z rushed into existence before Max could get to it... It definitely is a good zombie movie but that was my .02
    Soil Taste Tester

mtbr member
    Best thread of the week. I still have the original Night of the Living Dead on VCR.

conjoinicorned
    I know it sounds rookie but I finally saw "dead alive". What a riot, stomach turning no matter who you are!

Anyone have any recs for movies more like the horde, gritty dark scary stuff? I've been watching too many zomedies lately...

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I am Legend is probably my favorite "movie"

The Walking Dead is my favorite "tv show"

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ferday View Post
    I know it sounds rookie but I finally saw "dead alive". What a riot, stomach turning no matter who you are!

Anyone have any recs for movies more like the horde, gritty dark scary stuff? I've been watching too many zomedies lately...
    "Mutants"

Another French movie with zombies in the snow. A couple finds themselves stranded in a huge building (hospital?) while the apocalypse is going down.

Man, I hope they close the 28 trilogy with something good. I was very impressed with 28 Weeks Later, I think 28 Months Later would be good if done with a good director. Hughes Brothers did a good job with the look and feel of the post apocalyptic Book of Eli... how about that?

Suckin wind like a boss
    Book of Eli was good for post-apocalyptic, but i think The Road was far more believable. Sad there wasnt more Charlize in it.

mtbr member
    Don't know if it was mentioned yet but talking to a film friend the other day he said there's lotsa good zombie movies coming from the "Asian Underground" and recommended seeing "Hell Driver".
    Round and round we go

since 4/10/2009
    I know I've seen Book of Eli and The Road, but my memories of those movies are so vague. I hate having a rotten memory sometimes.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Sorry to derail to post-apocalyptic movies, but watch "Threads" from 1983. It is the most bleak and dismal pre/during/post nuclear war movies I've seen. It is a British Film from 1983, so it is a little dated in terms of special effects, but man - does that bring you back to the cold war.

(To all you youngin's... the cold war is what scared us Gen X'ers during our childhood)

since 4/10/2009
    I've got a good one. I was watching Romero's Land of the Dead (the one set in Pittsburgh) tonight on Netflix and in the scene where the zombie pulls the plug from the jackhammer, the power in my house went out. No storms, so no idea why. If my wife was watching, she'd probably have jumped out of her skin.

9 lives
    <embed flashVars="playerVars=autoPlay=no" src="http://www.metacafe.com/fplayer/156663/the_hills_have_eyes_unrated.swf" width="440" height="248" wmode="transparent" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" name="Metacafe_156663" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"></embed><div style="font-size:12px;"><a href="http://www.metacafe.com/watch/156663/the_hills_have_eyes_unrated/">The Hills Have Eyes - Unrated</a> - <a href="http://www.metacafe.com/">Click here for another funny movie. </a></div>

The Hills Have Eyes loosened me up

But I wonder if they are zombies or mutants?
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclelicious View Post
    <embed flashVars="playerVars=autoPlay=no" src="http://www.metacafe.com/fplayer/156663/the_hills_have_eyes_unrated.swf" width="440" height="248" wmode="transparent" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" name="Metacafe_156663" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"></embed><div style="font-size:12px;"><a href="http://www.metacafe.com/watch/156663/the_hills_have_eyes_unrated/">The Hills Have Eyes - Unrated</a> - <a href="http://www.metacafe.com/">Click here for another funny movie. </a></div>

The Hills Have Eyes loosened me up

But I wonder if they are zombies or mutants?
    Mutants. Zombies are made, mutants are generally born (except maybe the Toxic Avenger) - usually from some kind of radioactive material, water contamination, etc. Mutants can be evil or good and can have regular thought processes... zombies are pretty mindless and always evil. Mutants are scary because they have intelligence, can plot, can scheme, etc. Zombies are scary because it taps into our fear of hordes of mindless killers.

9 lives
    Mutants. Zombies are made, mutants are generally born (except maybe the Toxic Avenger) - usually from some kind of radioactive material, water contamination, etc. Mutants can be evil or good and can have regular thought processes... zombies are pretty mindless and always evil. Mutants are scary because they have intelligence, can plot, can scheme, etc. Zombies are scary because it taps into our fear of hordes of mindless killers.
    Thanks Dion for differentiating between the two and narrowing the field. To paraphrase if a zombie bites, you become one, if a mutant attacks, you can still survive (give or take a limb)
    Chances of surviving a zombie attack are less... but you could out wit them.
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Thanks Dion for differentiating between the two and narrowing the field. To paraphrase if a zombie bites, you become one, if a mutant attacks, you can still survive (give or take a limb)
    Sometimes I remove myself from my nerdism and can't believe this is a serious conversation

Suckin wind like a boss
    Generally speaking thats been the current theme... but in The Walking Dead, the pathogen for zombiehood is airborne... so all of the surviving humans are also carriers, and as such will become zombies after their death. Shane was proof- after Rick finally shanked his crazy ass (a season too late, but hey it made for a good season), it was mere minutes before Shanes body was up and mobile as a bonafide walker.

So, you dont turn into a zombie just from being bitten or scratched! Remember that, when the zompocalypse comes!
    If you arent bleeding, you arent riding hard enough.
    http://about.me/bigterry

Quote Originally Posted by Hutch3637 View Post
    I don't need sex. My life fvcks me daily.

conjoinicorned
    OH! I finally saw Dead Girl.

In the zombie genre, there's always an example of how evil people can be under certain circumstances. From the very first Romero film, Night of the Living Dead, we saw this dynamic going on.

I think Dead Girl was less about the zombie and more about the humans. Great film, IMO.

I mean, this is the actress that plays the zombie... hot zombie chick FTW.
    Just watched it myself the other night
    Definitely a piece of art in some ways, a good commentary on modern society....and thoroughly disgusting more than once!

I married a witch.
    World War Z sounds interesting. It will be starring Brad Pitt
    Download the audiobook/podcast of this first. It was an interesting listen. I think it's in book format somewhere too, maybe even on Kindle. If that whole "text" stuff is more your speed.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikej View Post
    Best Zombie movie:

I was afraid this had been missed!

I Am Legend was mentioned. While it fits into the "zombie movie" genre, it was actually written with the mutants as a sort of vampire...

If you're of the podcast variety, there's some good zombie stories out there for your consumption.
    Be respectful to the disrespectful, wise to the unwise, caring to the uncaring, courteous to the uncourteous.
    My Riding Blog

9 lives
    Quote Originally Posted by big terry View Post
    Generally speaking thats been the current theme... but in The Walking Dead, the pathogen for zombiehood is airborne... so all of the surviving humans are also carriers, and as such will become zombies after their death. Shane was proof- after Rick finally shanked his crazy ass (a season too late, but hey it made for a good season), it was mere minutes before Shanes body was up and mobile as a bonafide walker.

So, you dont turn into a zombie just from being bitten or scratched! Remember that, when the zompocalypse comes!
    Love The Walking Dead!

I now call the hikers that wander onto the dh runs as "Walkers" .I had some close calls this weekend, They don;t respond to shouting, next time I;m going for the brain.
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

humber river advocate
    one of my fav zombie movies

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/CfBewQPFdKE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

build trail!

mtbr member
    +1000 on Rec.
    Truly a well done and scary movie.
    How come nobody mentioned the "Evil Dead" series?

Suckin wind like a boss
    evil dead wasnt about zombies.
    If you arent bleeding, you arent riding hard enough.
    http://about.me/bigterry

Quote Originally Posted by Hutch3637 View Post
    I don't need sex. My life fvcks me daily.

conjoinicorned
    Quote Originally Posted by OneEyeMan View Post
    +1000 on Rec.
    Truly a well done and scary movie.
    How come nobody mentioned the "Evil Dead" series?
    I did on page1. I consider them zombie movies even though they aren't strict

Watched the quick and the undead, bad movie
    But awesome storyline...!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Theoretically, "Pet Cemetery" is a zombie movie. So is "Serpent and the Rainbow".

mtbr member

The first "Fast Zombie" movie I am aware of is 1985's Return Of The Living Dead. It was a bit Silly, but good fun IMHO.

Shock Waves (1977)- Nazi Zombies. A campy Twisted little movie. Has John Carradine and Peter Cushing (though Sadly I don't think they've got any Scenes together). I am perhaps more fond of it than it deserves, but It's pretty obscure. After seeing it Mid day (along with the Vincent Price "Last Man On Earth") while home sick when I was a kid, I couldn't find out the title until I was in my 20's in the 90's and a cult video rental place opened near my home.

Bio-Zombie (1998) - Another obscure one. It's from Hong Kong. It flips between slap stick and serious Zombie drama on dime. People I've shown it to tend to either love it or hate it. Basic story line: Two slacker video clerks working in a mall fight off the zombie hoards. Definitely a weird one, but it should be seen at least once if you're Zombie fan.

Cemetery Man (1994) - best described as Existential Splatter Punk horror.

Undead (2003) - it's comedic take on Zombies. A little hard to explain without giving away some things. Definitely over the top and, well, silly without being as good as Shaun of the Dead or Zombieland.

And barely qualifying:

The Happiness of the Katakuris (2001) - not a zombie film exactly, but it does have a zombie sequence.

There are a fair number of Japanese and Hong Kong zombie films. They vary in quality greatly. It is interesting to see another cultures take on the whole thing (if you're interested at all check out Wild Zero (2000). )

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Not sure if it's been mentioned yet as I didn't read the whole thread on my phone but I recently enjoyed "boy eats girl" not a porn like it sounds like, pretty decent zombie movie

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    How abou Creep Show? Some killer zombie shorts...

"thanks for the ride, lady!"

then there's the raft...doesnt count as a zombie movie, but damn that one still messes me up.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    This is how it starts...

Police kill naked attacker chewing on man's face in Miami street
    Published May 27, 2012
    Associated Press

MIAMI Ė Miami police and witnesses say that an officer on Saturday fatally shot a naked man who was chewing on the face of another man on a downtown causeway off-ramp.

The Miami Herald reports that gunshots were heard at about 2 p.m. on the MacArthur Causeway off-ramp, which is near the newspaper's offices. Witnesses said that a woman saw two men fighting and flagged down a police officer, who came upon a naked man mauling the other man.

The newspaper quoted witnesses as saying that the officer ordered the naked man to back away, and when he ignored the demand, the officer shot him. Witnesses said that the naked man continued his attack after being shot once, and the officer then shot him several more times.

Police said the other man was transported to Jackson Memorial Hospital Ryder Trauma Center, reportedly for treatment of critical injuries.
    The police department confirmed in a news release that there was an officer-related shooting, but did not include many details provided by witnesses to the newspaper.

A police spokesman couldn't be reached for comment by The Associated Press on Saturday evening.

The police news release said the identities of the two men were not known.
    A photograph posted on The Herald's website shows an officer standing watch on the ramp next to two police cruisers, with a body lying on a pedestrian walkway. Police requested the newspaper's video surveillance tapes.

The shooting and investigation tied up causeway traffic as crowds were arriving at South Beach for an annual hip-hop festival.

Javier Ortiz, a spokesman for the Fraternal Order of Police in Miami, said that based on information he's received, the officer who fired the shots "is a hero and saved a life."

since 4/10/2009
    I thought the same thing when I first saw this

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    no love for the resident evil series? how can ya not love zombie dogs?

the biggest thing i give romero credit for was liberating the zombie. in most prior works the zombie was generally subservient to another force( vampire, dark priest...) or a solitary creature ( golem, frankenstien, mummy)

he introduced communicability to the masses, before we had to kill you, now bites and scrapes are enough to turn you. now we're more than just a fleshy skeleton.

thanks

ps just cuz they want to eat you doesnt mean they're evil.

+1 on the dead snow recommendation

mtbr member
    May 2007
    This is a boom time for zombie movies.
    Sad to say most are trash.
    Just watch Descendents last night.
    Utter garbage along with the crap Hell Driver.
    Hard to watch such drivel.

The cheap digital effects are the worst part.
    I'll stick with Alice and Resident Evil and not be so quick to rent the trash being peddled.
    Warning Zombies ahead! Cadillac, MI - YouTube
    LS

conjoinicorned
    Zombie movies are either-cheesy, or grim/realistic....sometimes a combination thereof

I couldn't imagine only watching one or the another, I love zomedies but sometimes you just need things nice and grym

Is not amused
    Dion hope you don't mind me posting this here as you where talking about the Voodoo in the eating face thread.

Youtube part 1 link: [NATGEO] The truth about Zombies Part 1 of 3 - YouTube
    Last edited by Hutch3637; 06-03-2012 at 10:36 AM.

conjoinicorned
    Finally watched [rec], much better than quarantine (American remake). Queuing up rec2! That is some gritty paranoid stuff, personally I love the found footage shaky cam stuff if done right, which this was IMO. Highly recommended!

since 4/10/2009
    Watched 2012; Zombie Apocalypse the other day. Mix of fast and slow zombies, zombs have some communication abilities and rudimentary intelligence. Makes for a scary situation, but in typical B-movie style, some aspects were forced and poorly done. In particular the zombie animals.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Watched 2012; Zombie Apocalypse the other day. Mix of fast and slow zombies, zombs have some communication abilities and rudimentary intelligence. Makes for a scary situation, but in typical B-movie style, some aspects were forced and poorly done. In particular the zombie animals.
    Is this the movie with Taryn Manning? Once one of the characters got 6 shots out of a double barrel shotgun without reloading, I quit.

since 4/10/2009
    Is this the movie with Taryn Manning? Once one of the characters got 6 shots out of a double barrel shotgun without reloading, I quit.
    yeah, that be the one.

also, the characters at one point were using a belt fed machine gun mounted on a shopping cart to mow down zombs and one shot facing the gun showed muzzle flashes, but the belt wasn't feeding and shell casings were not being ejected. lol. like I said, some parts were pretty awful.

I married a witch.
    I always liked this argument...

Be respectful to the disrespectful, wise to the unwise, caring to the uncaring, courteous to the uncourteous.
    My Riding Blog

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Watched 1968 Night of the Living Dead last night (again, for the 100th time). I realized that the low budget is what made that film so disturbing. The final scene of the gritty stills of B&W photographs of men picking up corpses with meat hooks, combined with a disturbing soundtrack, made for a truly creepy end. Imagine watching that for the first time in 1968!

conjoinicorned
    Watched 1968 Night of the Living Dead last night (again, for the 100th time). I realized that the low budget is what made that film so disturbing. The final scene of the gritty stills of B&W photographs of men picking up corpses with meat hooks, combined with a disturbing soundtrack, made for a truly creepy end. Imagine watching that for the first time in 1968!
    i just watched the original back to back with the remake. i'm actually pretty impressed with how well the remake was, it was nearly frame for frame

there are a ton of the old 70's zombie flicks that are seriously dark and gory (all the giallos), they must have all been a shock especially the earlier stuff!

conjoinicorned
    just keeping it going...

watch "mutant zombie vampires from tha hood"

if you like campy but fun B (or C) movies, you might love this one. containing some beautiful racial stereotypes, reverential Romero referencing and one of the most disgusting gore scenes i've seen in a zombie movie, i really liked this one. but it's baaaaaaad so be prepared. it's on netflix

zombies! zombies! zombies!

another low grade B movie, this one had it's moments but not my favorite...some good scenes and some hot chicks made it watchable but not as fun as it should've been for such a low grade movie

I married a witch.
    Just for you ferday...

My Riding Blog

conjoinicorned
    Quote Originally Posted by Flying-Monkey View Post
    Just for you ferday...
    I can't + rep you but from the bottom of my heart, I thank you

I married a witch.
    My Riding Blog

conjoinicorned
    I'm sure I've seen that in a drunken haze at some point

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Updates anyone?

I watched Exit Humanity.

Sorry, just didn't make the cut. Make up was awful - acting and concept were good, but the execution, not so much. I didn't care about the characters, so I didn't care if anything happened to them. The "bad guys" had no reason to hate them, aside from they "acted like bad guys". I think that it was a grand idea limited by budget.

Walking Dead is coming in a month and they are promoting the hell out of it. Universal Studios has a Walking Dead haunted house that looks pretty cool.

I AM excited about this, though. Another funny London zombie flick!

since 4/10/2009
    I saw Abraham Lincoln vs. Zombies on Netflix recently. It was not as cheaply done as I expected. A few mistakes (like shooting a musket as though it had a magazine) but I've seen movies that had worse. There were times it sorta dragged without much action, too. I'd give it a B-.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    World War Z Trailer dropped today. I don't knooooowwwwww...

The Apocalypse Is Here! The Full Trailer For ‘World War Z’!!! | | Bloody DisgustingBloody Disgusting

Mr. Romero or Mr. Boyle, please come back...

Lord Thunderbottom

since 4/10/2009
    Hmmmmm, not sure about world war z. The fact that they aren't really trying to follow the book much at all might be good or it might not. I hope they didn't go overboard with fast zombie cgi stuff. Part of what's great about zombie movies is when the action gets up close and personal

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Hmmmmm, not sure about world war z. The fact that they aren't really trying to follow the book much at all might be good or it might not. I hope they didn't go overboard with fast zombie cgi stuff. Part of what's great about zombie movies is when the action gets up close and personal
    I actually liked I Am Legend, and this seems to borrow from the super strength, leap-to-flying-helicopters zombies. I don't mind it, but the "fast zombie" thing was done SO WELL in 28, seeing piles of fast zombies almost forming a liquid-like state looks a little silly.

I Am Legend got pretty dark, and that's what I liked about it. There were scenes with extended periods of uneasy silence, where the viewer was torn between the thought of the main character losing his mind, or if there was really a physical threat. I liked that - you empathized with the feeling of being "the last man on Earth".

WWZ looks a little Marvel Comic'y. Still gonna watch it, but I won't go in with expectations.

I went in with expectations with Prometheus, and was disappointed.

BTW, I finally got through Omega Man. It is EXTREMELY dated, but fun. I love the 70's interracial lovin', the cheap white make-up, the old school firearms. Go into it with a care free attitude. The "zombies" weren't really zombies, though - as they weren't in I Am Legend.

Started watching [REC]2 last night - Spanish with English subtitles. It's a continuation from [REC]. Um... I got about 2/3 through and will finish it tonight. I don't think I like where the twist in the plot is going. It looks like it's turning lame...

since 4/10/2009
    I'm with you on I Am Legend and the 28 bunch of movies. They were well done. Great examples of how fast zombies can be terrifying.

Those zombie scenes in the trailer are kinda like flocks of birds, or a bunch of ants or something. That kind of behavior requires a level of intelligence that will need to be reconciled some way or another because it's not a typical aspect of the zombie. I Am Legend handled it well. Walking Dead seems to be introducing a level of intelligence of some sort, too, but seemingly not to all zombies.

conjoinicorned
    I actually liked I Am Legend, and this seems to borrow from the super strength, leap-to-flying-helicopters zombies. I don't mind it, but the "fast zombie" thing was done SO WELL in 28, seeing piles of fast zombies almost forming a liquid-like state looks a little silly.

I Am Legend got pretty dark, and that's what I liked about it. There were scenes with extended periods of uneasy silence, where the viewer was torn between the thought of the main character losing his mind, or if there was really a physical threat. I liked that - you empathized with the feeling of being "the last man on Earth".

WWZ looks a little Marvel Comic'y. Still gonna watch it, but I won't go in with expectations.

I went in with expectations with Prometheus, and was disappointed.

BTW, I finally got through Omega Man. It is EXTREMELY dated, but fun. I love the 70's interracial lovin', the cheap white make-up, the old school firearms. Go into it with a care free attitude. The "zombies" weren't really zombies, though - as they weren't in I Am Legend.

Started watching [REC]2 last night - Spanish with English subtitles. It's a continuation from [REC]. Um... I got about 2/3 through and will finish it tonight. I don't think I like where the twist in the plot is going. It looks like it's turning lame...
    [REC] was simply one of the best ever. Number 2....well you'll see.

World war z looks awesome, if only because zombies get the full Hollywood treatment!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    28 Days Later and I am Legend weren't zombies. They were still alive but infected so it made sense they could still run .

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Check this out! Now, THIS look pretty decent.

since 4/10/2009
    Check this out! Now, THIS look pretty decent.

oooh, that one does look good. different perspective entirely. I remember seeing something about that one awhile ago.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Deadheads
    Has a similar premise to Warm Bodies and is also pretty good. If you have Netflix it is available for streaming.

Deadheads (2011) - Trailer - YouTube

I Ride Bikes
    I gotta admit I love zombie movies. I've watched a ton of them, old and new.

I'm also into "The Walking Dead" tv series on AMC. You guys watch that?
    I like to hug trees at FULL SPEED!
    INSTAGRAM -> hawaii808MTB
    FACEBOOK -> Big Island Mountain Biking

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Mazukea View Post
    I gotta admit I love zombie movies. I've watched a ton of them, old and new.

I'm also into "The Walking Dead" tv series on AMC. You guys watch that?
    Saying that I "watch" Walking Dead would be like saying a fat guy just "tastes" food. No, my friend... for me, I'm at nerd level 10, red zone, about Walking Dead!

Although I'm not into the comic (never have been into comics).

I Ride Bikes
    The Walking Dead is the only tv series right now that i HAVE to watch every sunday. It's like watching a mini zombie movie every week. awesome.

Lord Thunderbottom
    Quote Originally Posted by Mazukea View Post
    The Walking Dead is the only tv series right now that i HAVE to watch every sunday. It's like watching a mini zombie movie every week. awesome.
    TWD needs more zombie plot and less human issues, sadly it's kinda becoming a daytime soap for me

They need the mystery and suspense of the first season again, there's not enough uncertainty, all the people alive now are too comfortable around the walkers, they sneak past them or just dispatch them with no issues

But I'm still glued to the TV every sunday

I Ride Bikes
    It's sunday! I can't wait for the next episode of The Walking Dead. =)

Talk to me, Goose.
    Quote Originally Posted by TitanofChaos View Post
    TWD needs more zombie plot and less human issues, sadly it's kinda becoming a daytime soap for me

They need the mystery and suspense of the first season again, there's not enough uncertainty, all the people alive now are too comfortable around the walkers, they sneak past them or just dispatch them with no issues

But I'm still glued to the TV every sunday
    I couldn't agree more. The first season of TWD was amazing, but it slowly crapped out through the second. Now its literally like a daytime soap. Who is doing who.. whos sabotaging who.. blah blah..

Last episode I think I only saw 6 zombies or so..
    We can't stop here, this is bat country..

Ski N Bike Tech

I've never considered these Zombie movies. The first one never even had them coming back from the dead. If they got shot, they died and stayed dead. It didn't even have to be a head shot that killed them. Several center mass shots did the job. They were just infected with a virus. It was fast acting as was shown with the dad being infected at the check point (he didn't die and then come back), and then the emaciated infected guy at the end was literally starving to death. If they were zombies the would have eaten Jim in the assault on the building, but because he was so pissed and filled with rage, the infected thought he was one of them.

I never watched the second one because of the scene where the guy was running around with a hole in his chest just killed the franchise in my mind.

Just my $0.02 on those movies.

The one I really wanted to see be made was called "Worst Case Senerio". The movie could never get the money so it's just one of the best trailers for what could have been.

Here's the YouTube link
    http://youtu.be/x-PpUygrwKg

9 lives
    Old thread... new movie

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/gryenlQKTbE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

gobsmacked Moderator
    they're here!!!

CHP: Man who stole semi said zombies were chasing - SFGate

where are my strawberries?

9 lives
    Love zombies and bad lip reading?...LA BIBBY DA BIBBY DUM, LA BIBBY DA BIBBY DOO!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/jR4lLJu_-wE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I just watched the trailer for this

"Gallowwalker"

Gallowwalker - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Wesley Snipes Western/Horror

doesnt look like a traditional zombie movie but they do come back from the dead

9 lives
    World War Z opens in theatres.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/UYKL2qEj47Y" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Yowza! Zombies can run!
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    I saw World War Z last night. I liked it, but it felt too short!
    Bionically Modified

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I watched World War Z too Monday night with minimal expectations. I have to say I was pretty much blown away. Honestly, the excessive gore of zombie movies/tv series sickens me. WWZ delivered superbly with very minimal gore.

World War Z opens in theatres.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/UYKL2qEj47Y" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Yowza! Zombies can run!
    and apparently they can also form cheering squad towers to climb walls and entire buildings.

since 4/10/2009

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Question to all resident MTBR zombie nerds:

If zombies eat brains
    and if one turns into a zombie when bitten by one...
    and it takes a headshot to kill a zombie...

How come

Zombies are still walking around with their heads intact and brains uneaten?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0