Your mental well-being rightaboutnow...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Your mental well-being rightaboutnow...

My God, I feel like my head is stretched in 20 different directions during this pandemic lock-down. I felt pretty grounded and optimistic about 3 weeks back, but now I'm finding it hard to get back to center. Fokk! I will eventually...

What about you all? Staying relatively sane?!
    The only important thing these days, is rhythm and melody. Rhythm...and melody.

mtbr member
    Have to say that as much as I’d like to get back to normal, am def enjoying the lessons we are being forced to learn. I remain optimistic. So many positive society changing things happened in times of trouble
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    According to data provided by the National Bureau of Economic Research and the medical journal Lancet, every 1% hike in the unemployment rate will likely produce a 3.3% increase in drug overdose deaths and a 0.99% increase in suicides.

If unemployment reaches the predicted 32%, over 77,000 Americans will die from suicide and drug overdose brought on by the shutdown.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    It is an interesting (if disturbing) experiment. At what point will people's fear of a ruined life overtake the shrinking fear of getting sick/loss of life?

People are getting to that point. Assuming data continues to flatten/go down, I give it another 3-4 weeks before people say screw this, life goes on.

mtbr member
    I’m not posting police, you guys can post whatever you like. But the question was how do you feel
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    Being in CT I'm fairly close to ground zero but I'm in eastern part of state and have not been hit as hard as areas closer to NY. I'm also in the country so things are not as crazy as it is for those who are in higher populated areas. Kids are grown so that's no a big impact. My son (24) is a pilot and has been put on furlough so he's around quite a bit but still gets plenty of flying and training in to keep fresh.

I work for utility (nuclear power) so making electricity is obviously still very important and I'm lucky to not be impacted salary-wise. We have made many changes to reduce the chance of critical personnel getting infected. Many of us are able to work remotely and only access the plant when needed. It's a big place with lots of people but we have been successful in managing so far. It's not one size fits all but when the time is right, every employer needs to come up with things they can do to minimize the risk and get people working again. We can do this!

I've continued to ride 3X/week but I have stayed away from the more popular State Park locations because so many people are going stir-crazy and hitting them. I'm lucky to have many riding locations that don't get much traffic.
    12 Santa Cruz Heckler
    18 Kona Process 153 AL/DL (27.5)...:thumbsup:

NDD
    mtbr member
    I'm quite fortunate to be no more grumpy/sad/tempermental than my normal self, beyond being a little bit stir crazy. Of course I'm fortunate to still be working and such, so that helps.

I'll say the news can peak the anxiety a bit, often not the news about the virus itself, this is all somewhat expected and predictable. It's clear how it spreads, why it's more infectious than previous respiratory illnesses of recent history, etc. What really gets me going is the news about how we behave as a society, in general. We're forced into greater and greater extremes, with some people scolding their neighbors for going outside, and others who refuse to abide by any slightly inconvenient precaution at the potential detriment of others. People who think the world is ending and people who think that this is just a slightly icky flu. And conspiracy abounds. It's stressful. I've found that, if you can, tuning that out for a good portion of the day can reduce anxiety, however you simply can't bury your head in the sand.
    dang

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by theMeat View Post
    I’m not posting police, you guys can post whatever you like. But the question was how do you feel
    I feel that this does not crack the top 5 of challenges life has thrown my way, so feeling fine.

One ring to mash them all
    Well, I don't know about you all, but I started questioning some life decisions — most recently on how I pronounce some words.
    "Thousands of you may die…it is what it is." - Lord Farkwad

Real eyes realize real lies.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueCheesehead View Post
    It is an interesting (if disturbing) experiment. At what point will people's fear of a ruined life overtake the shrinking fear of getting sick/loss of life?

People are getting to that point. Assuming data continues to flatten/go down, I give it another 3-4 weeks before people say screw this, life goes on.
    I've had lengthy stretches where I feel the same. Then, I'll hear or read about someone of ill health begging us to continue on this path for the sake of their health.

It's truly a mass act of selfless behavior to quarantine for the sake of the vulnerable.
    Are most people up to it? Can we sustain this temporary imposition?

I too think that the mental health of many will begin to crumble as we proceed with this shut-down.

well mannered lout
    I'm feeling good.

I always liked reading the paper for news because it was easy to look past a lot of the crap NDD describes. I try to do the same now on the computer, really choosing what I read according to my own sensibility. I know I'm not really well informed, but I also know it's better for me. I'm not built to experience the vastness of all the happenings in the world that are available to me in our information age...I don't think many are. Staying closer to home with how I inform myself keeps me grounded. Does that make sense?
    Well my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MOJO K View Post
    I'm feeling good.

I always liked reading the paper for news because it was easy to look past a lot of the crap NDD describes. I try to do the same now on the computer, really choosing what I read according to my own sensibility. I know I'm not really well informed, but I also know it's better for me. I'm not built to experience the vastness of all the happenings in the world that are available to me in our information age...I don't think many are. Staying closer to home with how I inform myself keeps me grounded. Does that make sense?
    A little bit. What do you mean about 'staying closer to home'; news that is more local or national vs. global? I'm glad you're feeling good. I'm finding it difficult to achieve that as of late, but hope to come around again.

Bikesexual
    For me, life hasn't changed much, been working from home for 20 yrs, and taking care of Mom keeps me at home 90% of the time, unless I can arrange for a caregiver, which is tough.

With that said, going out is an adventure, and I hope we can get back to some normalcy, soon.

Mentally, I have to stay strong, but I'm sure like everyone else, there are moments of sadness and frustration.

I keep in mind, this is out of anyone's control, so we have to roll with the punches.

Wishing you all the best.
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit

well mannered lout
    Quote Originally Posted by Crankout View Post
    A little bit. What do you mean about 'staying closer to home'; news that is more local or national vs. global? I'm glad you're feeling good. I'm finding it difficult to achieve that as of late, but hope to come around again.
    Not so much about geography. It's more about connecting with things that have real influence or interest in my life.

I have no interest in knowing which strangers in my town are sick with Covid19, but I'm gutted that rockerc is struggling (nothing but best wishes Chris).

mtbr member
    I wonder how much of one's sense of well being is tied to their perception of control. You can help guide the rudder but you're never in control.

I got my PMA
    https://youtu.be/YYjqY0Yg1kk

Sent from my moto g(6) forge using Tapatalk
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I am not sane. I am going nuts now. I can't ride my bike or go camping

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Here in NZ we are coming up to week 4 of lockdown.

I'll be honest, im loving it.

Doing some work from home. Typically I would have to drive 40mins each way too and from work. So I am way more efficient.

I have trails close to my house so I can still ride. I'm actually getting out for more rides during the week than normal. Spending more time with the family is good.

I'm on 80% income and if the lockdown goes for longer than 5-6 weeks its unlikely ill have a job to go to. But i'll overcome that when/if I have too.

For now its a relaxing simple life. Get up early, do some work, knock off early, go for a ride and or spend some time with the family, cook something. Rinse and repeat.

CEO Product Failure

What about you all? Staying relatively sane?!
    28 days later...in lock down mode since Mar 11th. I stick to a routine to keep sane. M-F, up by 6:30am, bedtime at 10:30pm. Weekends are weekends. My mental health suffers on days when I don't exercise:

- Zwift 6-7 times a week, once a day with an occasional off day.
    - walk dog (1-3 blocks) 7:30am and 6:30pm.
    - work 7-9hrs a day, working from home since '98, so no transitions there. Fortunately I still have work and have remained fairly busy.
    - diet: 2 beer minimum every night, anytime after I walk the dog. Eating lots of veggies and salads. Breakfast only on weekends. Black coffee every morning.
    - no take out (risk is too high for me), all meals are from scratch.
    - once a week I make a loaf of bread.
    - limit my news consumption to less than 40 min's per day. that includes TV, online, apps, newspapers, etc.
    - 3-4 zoom or facetimes with family and friends per week.
    - check in on my parents (in late '70's) daily. Both are healthy and live 3 hrs away, living in the home they raised me in.
    - check in on all my close friends via text periodically through texts all week long.
    - Sunday morning--televised church. I'm a cradle catholic and to each their own, but I really enjoy watching mass at 830am every sunday with a big mug of coffee with a few onces of baileys & jameson.

mtbr member
    Texas just issued an executive order to reopen the state.
    I feel like that’s great news.
    I love spring and I feel like doing what I usually do.
    I feel like Arkansas managed their state well through this.
    I feel like my retirement account has regained enough to be within 7% of where it was in January.
    I feel like voting against Joe Biden in November.
    I feel like eating some of Nancy Pelosi’s ice cream stash she was showing off the other day.

Put simply...... I Feel Good

Freedom is a shield against the negative consequences of the Foolishness of others.

mtbr member
    If the need arises Dr Fauci approves hookups if you are willing to accept the risk.....

https://nypost.com/2020/04/15/fauci-...with-a-caveat/

He’s Dr. Feelgood!
    Freedom is a shield against the negative consequences of the Foolishness of others.

mtbr member

Nah, I'm fine. literally nothing has changed in my day to day life making all this hard to comprehend. I was crazy before so I guess I'm still crazy.
    Dont make me go all Jonathan Winters on this gas station.

mtbr member
    For those that have lost it’s not so feel good.
    The way this is going to effect poverty feels concerning.
    Think with all the at home bonding goin on many a child will be born. Another words feel more horny
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    The way this is going to effect poverty feels concerning.
    Think with all the at home bonding goin on many a child will be born. Another words feel more horny
    Children do not create poverty.
    Their parents do.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OzarkFathom View Post
    Children do not create poverty.
    Their parents do.
    Not really sure what that has to do with anything, but if you say so.
    Round and round we go

Rides all the bikes!
    My life really hasn't changed. Still working normal hours (though I expect a layoff eventually). Still riding the same. Only thing that has changed is I am not riding with a group on occasion like I used to. But after this is all over, I am not planning on returning to the group, I'm enjoying the all solo WAY more then even just that one weekly ride (and I ride about 20 hours a week solo).

But, even if I was locked down. I mean, actually locked down, I have my doubts that it would be even nearly as bad as my life serving on a ship for years. So I am not worried. At present, those who are supposed to be "sheltering in place" are still encouraged to get out and exercise, something I couldn't really do on a ship. Or go to a grocery store. Or, have privacy. Or, get to make phone calls and text. The list is very long.

Dirty Old Man
    I haven't properly put wheels to dirt since March 1st. I'm getting antsy for sure. Zwift, coupled with rides around the neighborhood with the kids help, but it's not really getting the job done. Beyond that though, life hasn't changed too much. My sleep cycle is way off now though.
    . . . . . . . .

No known cure
    Nothings really changed except im off work which isnt a big deal. Town never stopped bustling because people need income and human connection. Most all "orders" were uncontitutional, so were taken as recomendations, which almost all were following. Those that are fat and or have compromised immune systems have stayed inside and taken advantage of the delivery network. I gassed up yesterday, and most had no masks and didn't have the fear.
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

Rabid Lana Fan
    On the days I don't tele-work, since I'm the only one at the office, and most work these days for me is over the cell phone, I've been riding more than ever. My usual lunch rides that I used to try to squeeze in between 11:00 -12:00, now they start at 10:00 and go on till 12:30 - 1:00.

If were not out riding, we're out doing trial maintenance in that same time frame.

I kinda wish this would keep going on for a while.
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt I here
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt II here

I might get out Sunday and ride if the trails are dry enough. There's an area that shouldn't be closed, but it might not be pleasant to slog through the clay-based fire roads to get to it. It's supposed to rain a little bit tonight though.

It's a bummer that we can't go out and do trail work after all the unseasonable rain we got.

I have enough work around the house to stay occupied. No chain saws though

Rabid Lana Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by the one ring View Post
    No chain saws though
    Stimulus check.

https://www.stihlusa.com/products/ch...-saws/ms261cm/

Pipe Dreamer
    I'm mostly doing ok. Was feeling pretty good doing a small job yesterday, but today felt like I had zero motivation to do anything, and I pretty much did just that.

One day I'm happy and optimistic, then the next I'm bummed out, ups and downs like a roller coaster.
    This space intentionally left blank. We apologise for any inconvenience.

Quote Originally Posted by net wurker View Post
    Am I stimulated?

Check.

TOP TIER LURKER
    I do not understand the question?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SECu1fR0dWE
    life is... "All About Bikes"...

Meatbomb

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    I'm okay being alone. I prefer it mostly. It's nice go so see people or have a dinner guest but it doesn't have to be all the time.

I was able to get in a few bike rides through all the mess.

The area I live in isn't nearly as bad as most of the world -that probably makes it easier but does not mean I don't treat it as real.
    I started to isolate about 1.5 - 2 weeks ago. Basically cutting out certain people who like to go hang out and send me pictures of hugging people. Yeah, stay away from me please.
    I'd go ride as long as the parking areas weren't crowded. If so, I just left and would try again another day.

I am working. More than usual. I have a project deadline coming up a week from today. Been some long hours last week, and a few longer days this week. I expect to work for the next 9 days straight to meet the deadline.
    That alone is stressful enough but this week got to me. I had to take the cat to the vet and not bring him home.
    So Monday, after watching the sick cat before making the decision to get to the vet for not just a checkup.....I've had to spend 24 hours a day alone all week and without being able to see anybody. Monday night was the first night in 17 years that he wasn't with me, of the days I've been home through those years. Monday was a horrible work day, couldn't focus as cat was worsening. Tuesday tried to get back to focus but still struggled to get wrapped around the stressful project that is already way behind with a deadline approaching.

Now the neighbors that have a baby that wins awards for the loudest crying baby ever, and the other 2 with music playing all day, and the other neighbor that sometimes sits in the car for an hour or more listening to music...yeah some of those things push the buttons a little more than a little.

Combined with my at-home work environment not ideal ergonomically causing my neck and shoulders to hurt a lot, the tension is building.
    With that said, I have always hated to hear neighbors playing louder music with the bass that travels. Nothing new there.
    I'm fortunate now that the weather has turned nice. I make lunch and sit on the patio and eat. I lay back a little and close my eyes for a few minutes become back inside for work. It's a nice break in the middle. I'm glad I can can do that and hope many of you have the same ability.

Once I get this project out, it will be business as usual, hanging out alone and being okay with it.
    I have all the food I need and all the creature comforts of my home. I can't complain about the world as it's worse for pretty much everybody I know.
    I'll be fine for the next several weeks, mentally. I've put myself into quarantine after being in the exam room 3 times in a few days with the vet, so in 1.5 weeks when I can out out again -I'll enjoy a ride or run.

I've got about 45 minutes to make up today then it's time for a movie to close the evening.

Stay safe everybody.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post
    Nothings really changed except im off work which isnt a big deal. Town never stopped bustling because people need income and human connection. Most all "orders" were uncontitutional, so were taken as recomendations, which almost all were following. Those that are fat and or have compromised immune systems have stayed inside and taken advantage of the delivery network. I gassed up yesterday, and most had no masks and didn't have the fear.
    Bingo! This. However I'm not off work. In fact nothing has changed at all for me other than the traffic reduction and some local park/trail closures. It's getting back to normal however as I noticed a large increase in daily traffic this week - almost back to pre-stupidity levels.
    One other bright spot has been finding new trails to ride that I have been meaning to try but always opted for closer to home favorites which are now closed.
    Feelings? Feeling pretty good about what I see with people starting to wake up and see the truth in all of this. Also, I like how it has brought families closer and my neighborhood has a real sense of community like I haven't felt in 25 years. It's like the whole place has stepped back in time. Kids out playing, parents yakkin' in the driveways and front yards. Folks running and riding bikes, people in yards grilling and drinking around fire pits.
    It's a different atmosphere now that I hope sticks.
    I hope people don't jump back in to overcommitment, overloading themselves and their kids with "activities".

Cycologist
    I'm working from home and I've been very busy, way more so than I normally am this time of year. Also sitting in meetings a lot more than I normally do, Zooming with coworkers in California and Tokyo whereas I usually work mostly with my local crew and one guy out of Nashville.

I'm fortunate that I have a decent bit of land for such a suburban area and can go outside and walk around a bit, and even ride a little; if I was stuck on a small lot or in an apartment, I would be going crazy.

I can't say that I'm not worried about the future considering my job is based on large gatherings of people.
    This post is a natural product. Variances in spelling & grammar should be appreciated as part of its character & beauty.

No known cure
    I read this morning that beaches have opened back up in some counties and barber shops and other small businesses will be opening soon. Im in the largest county in the US and this morning the number was 1/20th of 1% so that's good news. I'm waiting for international travel to open back up, which will probably be the end of summer from all the websites I'm keeping tabs on.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I am already gone crazy.

Pipe Dreamer
    I read this morning that beaches have opened back up in some counties
    Yeah, by this guy, lol!

mtbr member
    Apr 2020
    I had to get blood work done yesterday..... I was *excited* about it.... lol

That was the first time I left the house in 2 weeks thanks to instacart.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Forest Rider View Post
    ....That alone is stressful enough but this week got to me. I had to take the cat to the vet and not bring him home.
    So Monday, after watching the sick cat before making the decision to get to the vet for not just a checkup.....I've had to spend 24 hours a day alone all week and without being able to see anybody. Monday night was the first night in 17 years that he wasn't with me, of the days I've been home through those years. Monday was a horrible work day, couldn't focus as cat was worsening. Tuesday tried to get back to focus but still struggled to get wrapped around the stressful project that is already way behind with a deadline approaching.....
    Sorry to hear of your loss, i'll bet he had a good life.
    Bicycles don't have motors.

mtbr member
    ForestRider....

Sorry about your cat man...17 years is a long time and I'm sure you miss him.
    12 Santa Cruz Heckler
    18 Kona Process 153 AL/DL (27.5)...:thumbsup:

M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
    On the edge all crazy depression all around forced work from home living to work wishing the end was near trying it hard to find the passion to go ride bikes alcoholism makes happy boy I wish she was still in my life I miss her so much.
    Don’t frail and blow if you’re going to Braille and Flow.

mtbr member
    Forest Rider, we get so attached to our fur babies. I’m sorry for your loss. You were fortunate to get 17 years. Sounds like you were both fortunate. I know it takes time to get feeling better but considering everything that is happening in the world right now, I think you should go get another fur baby to give a good life to, sooner than later. It would be good for both of you.
    DAAAANG...that was janky

9 lives
    I'm so sorry for your loss Forest Rider.
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker View Post
    On the edge all crazy depression all around forced work from home living to work wishing the end was near trying it hard to find the passion to go ride bikes alcoholism makes happy boy I wish she was still in my life I miss her so much.
    Wow, the first time I read that I thought Kurt, Chester, Chris or Amy wrote that; second time I read that it made me sad. What end are you hoping is near?

well mannered lout
    Quote Originally Posted by JaxMustang50 View Post
    It's a different atmosphere now that I hope sticks.
    I hope people don't jump back in to overcommitment, overloading themselves and their kids with "activities".
    Yup...it's plenty easy to be occupied with fun interesting things without any of them being a scheduled commitment.

This whole thing can operate like an elimination diet for our daily life. Take everything away and reintroduce things back one at a time to figure out how they really affect us. I expect a lot of folks are going to go a long way towards unf%#@ing themselves with this.

NDD
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    Wow, the first time I read that I thought Kurt, Chester, Chris or Amy wrote that; second time I read that it made me sad. What end are you hoping is near?
    Yeah this is like so many alarm bells going off at once. Hope you're moderately ok LP, or at least not as bad as this seems.
    dang

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Sorry for your loss Forest Rider.

I haven’t missed a beat at work. In fact I’m easily four times busier now. So my mental state is that of a four times more than a regular insane person.
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

Single Track Mind
    All-in-all things are pretty good with me. As a Professor, we had to move to remote classes with one day notice, but it didn't bother me too much since I already have experience teaching online. I have had to work double time to keep students in the fold, but alas, I have lost about 35% of them with another 15% or so on the cusp of dropping out.

Life at home is chill. My dogs love that I'm home all the time now! I just make sure to maintain a normal routine. I shower and get dressed everyday. It's a small thing, but it makes a huge difference. I also enjoy taking lunch on the back patio and dreaming up new yard and garden projects. My veggie garden is coming to life and I need to see if I can get some clones delivered by a local dispensary.

As far as riding goes, I have been forced to the Dawn Patrol, but sharing trails with owls, deer and coyotes is far preferable to sharing them with stupid, self absorbed people, and there is just something amazing about riding through the forest as the sky explodes in hues of deep red and purple, inspiring the birds to song.

And, on days I can't get out and need to ride, I found this video game:

Lonely Mountains: Downhill

It is a cheap and quirky mountain bike game. No music; just the sounds of riding.

And for those of you who still like to read, this little ditty written by E.M Forster in 1909 carries huge implications regarding our current situation. I teach it in some of my classes and the students who actually read it are blown away.

"The Machine Stops" by E.M Forster

Pipe Dreamer
    I spend most of my time looking for beer.

mtbr member
    I volunteered to be laid off. I'm kind of enjoying being home, but its unfortunate that it took all this to get some time off.

The amazon warehouse workers in town tested positive for covid19. The local supermarket distribution center workers tested positive. We have tents in front of our hospital. All my nurse friends are wearing nonsense like plastic bags and homemade masks at work and they're actively treating cases. Its weird that some people are still not taking it seriously when its literally surrounding town and infecting people.

mtbr member
    Hell, I'm OK. I still have my job to go to. I rode my bike yesterday, the trails get a full crowd. Life is pretty normal for me.

since 4/10/2009
    I'm doing well most days, but some are pretty hard for me.

My wife is working harder now than she did before. She's a veterinarian, and a number of clinics in town have closed even though veterinary services are considered essential, so people are going to fewer clinics. For that matter, a couple of doctors at her clinic are not working at all, or have reduced hours. One has taken FMLA leave because of the kids at home. Another is pregnant and took a few weeks off to decide how she was going to handle the pandemic. She has returned to work, but only at 3/4 time. Another was on a 2 week quarantine because he was in San Francisco when the outbreak started. He's returned to working by now, which helps. The owner is mostly not seeing cases, either. It's a similar scenario for the staff. As a result, the doctors are working an extra day per week than usual to cover the shifts and the number of cases they're seeing is pretty insane.

I'm not working. I was substitute teaching before this started, so obviously I have no work anymore. I was denied for unemployment of any kind. Not sure why. I'm trying to keep busy by working around the house. Lots of cleaning inside. I've been working on straightening up the garage. The yard is looking pretty good. I even have a short mountain bike trail that I'm working on. I've been doing so many other things the past few days that I haven't built more trail for a bit, so I need to get back on that.

Thankfully, we're at least financially secure for now. Our lifestyle is set up assuming a single income from my wife. Because of the massive workload she's got, she's been making bonuses every month all year (even before the outbreak), so we've got a safety net in our savings account. Even still, we were able to take advantage of a rona deal on a new pickup truck and replace my car which had some years on it and it was beginning to show.

I even found a job opening with a local company that makes online college texts. A friend works there, so I'm hoping for enough of a boost to get it. That'll go a long way to giving me something else to put my mind on, give me something else to do on a regular basis (rather than trying to figure out new things every day), and also a paycheck that'll only help our financial security more.

The difficult days are the ones where my wife has been working for a number of days at a stretch, I'm home with the animals all day with no other human contact, and she's too exhausted to do much more than just eat and go to bed. The loneliness seeps in and I get to feeling down about my career prospects (or lack thereof). Finding that job opening has given me a little boost in that regard, but the past 15yrs haven't gone terribly well in that regard, so it's not a big one. I'll be back to feeling down about the career stuff if I don't get an offer.

Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot View Post
    Its weird that some people are still not taking it seriously when its literally surrounding town and infecting people.
    If only the people so cavalier about being exposed could magically not mingle with those who have no choice to be out in public.

9 lives
    I've been adjusting to the changes and taking things in stride

I manage 2 hospital units (60+ staff nurses and allied support professionals and 74 veterans... average age 96) and a 20 member team of unregulated workers. Our common goal is to prevent the spread of the virus and treat and manage the care of the sick and dying. My responsibility is to lead and ensure that everyone is following policy (eg PPE, physical distancing, etc) problem solve (staffing, budget, equipment etc) and communicating continuously all day and sharing messages while addressing issues (many arent even pandemic related) while supporting everyone's angst and confusion. (staff, patients, visitors/family etc) I work with good colleagues and team members. It's better to work together to face the problems than to work alone. It's an intense day so I look forward to simple pleasures and adjusting to new routines (social and personal).

I am running more; I have a home gym now; I can bike with my husband in unpopular areas where we don't encounter others. I am staying as fit as I can, follow a training plan and eat healthy (ie for me it means clean and vegan). I shop less.

My mom's surgery to remove a cancerous mass was cancelled but has been rescheduled so thats a relief.

I keep intouch with my family and those who matter. The change can only come from me and I try not to let the behaviour of others affect me.
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclelicious View Post
    I've been adjusting to the changes and taking things in stride

I manage 2 hospital units (60+ staff nurses and allied support professionals and 74 veterans... average age 96) and a 20 member team of unregulated workers. Our common goal is to prevent the spread of the virus and treat and manage the care of the sick and dying. My responsibility is to lead and ensure that everyone is following policy (eg PPE, physical distancing, etc) problem solve (staffing, budget, equipment etc) and communicating continuously all day and sharing messages while addressing issues (many arent even pandemic related) while supporting everyone's angst and confusion. (staff, patients, visitors/family etc) I work with good colleagues and team members. It's better to work together to face the problems than to work alone. It's an intense day so I look forward to simple pleasures and adjusting to new routines (social and personal).

I am running more; I have a home gym now; I can bike with my husband in unpopular areas where we don't encounter others. I am staying as fit as I can, follow a training plan and eat healthy (ie for me it means clean and vegan). I shop less.

My mom's surgery to remove a cancerous mass was cancelled but has been rescheduled so thats a relief.

I keep intouch with my family and those who matter. The change can only come from me and I try not to let the behaviour of others affect me.
    Thank you for all the positive you do.
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot View Post
    I volunteered to be laid off. I'm kind of enjoying being home, but its unfortunate that it took all this to get some time off.

The amazon warehouse workers in town tested positive for covid19. The local supermarket distribution center workers tested positive. We have tents in front of our hospital. All my nurse friends are wearing nonsense like plastic bags and homemade masks at work and they're actively treating cases. Its weird that some people are still not taking it seriously when its literally surrounding town and infecting people.
    It's hard to accept the selfishness of some individuals; I can only believe that those still moving about like nothing is wrong just don't understand what asymptomatic means.

I am limiting my contact with others because it would haunt me if I was a carrier and got someone sick.

No known cure
    Here in my corner of Souther California, the numbers are 1/20th of 1%. Theres 100s of other ways you're going to die before the virus. People who feel they're in a group that can be compromised, stay at home and show some personal responibility and quit being selfish to those who need to provide for their families. Not all of us get virusbucks or are on the public dole, or are gov workers who still get paid while never producing anything.

There's dozens of delivery services for groceries and every single eatery that's open delivers. If the numbers were higher like during SARS, ect , I'd be more concerned, but life goes on as it always has and these numbers aren't shit.

I wont even go into the trampling of the Constitution and the Bill of Rights, and the Karens and their Stasi snitching. Anne Frank would've been in an oven in under a day if facebook and nextdoor had been around then.

Duck Fonald
    Quote Originally Posted by themeat View Post
    thank you for all the positive you do.
    x2!
    "Nobody likes me."

DJT

Pipe Dreamer
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    x2!
    x3!

I've been passing the time by waiting for mtbr pages to load.

Bikesexual
    Quote Originally Posted by Cornfield View Post
    x3!

x4!

And I bet you she never once complained!

Thanks CL.
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit

Rabid Lana Fan
    "Not going anywhere for a while? Better grab a Snickers®."

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Sorry for the loss of your kitty Forest Rider, always a tough time

NDD
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jcd46 View Post
    x4!

Thanks CL.
    x5, and she'd be warranted to complain! It's cathartic, sometimes.
    dang

Bikesexual
    Quote Originally Posted by NDD View Post
    x5, and she'd be warranted to complain! It's cathartic, sometimes.
    Absolutely!

Nurses are my heroes, the way they took care of Mom every single time we were in hospitals for 3+ years, I couldn't begin to tell you.
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit

NDD
    mtbr member
    Absolutely!

Nurses are my heroes, the way they took care of Mom every single time we were in hospitals for 3+ years, I couldn't begin to tell you.
    I believe it. My grandma's was a nurse. Sweetest lady, but she didn't take no shit...
    dang

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by net wurker View Post
    "Not going anywhere for a while? Better grab a Snickers®."
    Better make it a king-size

Cycologist
    x4!

Thanks CL.
    x5 and I'm not betting against you, jcd.
    This post is a natural product. Variances in spelling & grammar should be appreciated as part of its character & beauty.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    At this time, I'm just coming to grips with my situation. Many people over the decades have questioned why, as a licensed Board Certified Acupuncturist in the state of California, I've held onto a remnant of my former full-time lawn service that I've had in Coronado. I've had that business 15 years longer than my profession, and since I've been a medical professional for 34 years now, that puts me at forty something years in the lawn service..
    But I felt that my lawn work, which I'm also an expert at, got me back in touch with the earth, and also with what the average working class Joe does 5-6 days a week, 8-10 hours a day.
    So now, I cannot practice my profession. Just to perform a precursory diagnosis, I have to make physical contact with a patient. Acupuncture is essentially on hold in my neck of the woods.

Since all I have in the way of my business cards are for my profession, I'm working out a way to include a small note to explain my history to prospective lawn customers ( anybody who hasn't done their lawn in a while), and my lawn business is picking up for the first time in decades, in fact it's been declining, as many of my customers, who have also become my patients, die off from old age.

So what so many acquaintances and professional colleagues having chuckled at me all these years, it's suddenly starting to make some sense!

The same goes for my combat arts training and practice. Maybe this is what those forms and kata are for? If only my teacher had not checked out a month ago at the ripe old age of 91!
    Just call me Ray

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Here in my corner of Souther California, the numbers are 1/20th of 1%. Theres 100s of other ways you're going to die before the virus. People who feel they're in a group that can be compromised, stay at home and show some personal responibility and quit being selfish to those who need to provide for their families. Not all of us get virusbucks or are on the public dole, or are gov workers who still get paid while never producing anything.

There's dozens of delivery services for groceries and every single eatery that's open delivers. If the numbers were higher like during SARS, ect , I'd be more concerned, but life goes on as it always has and these numbers aren't shit.

I wont even go into the trampling of the Constitution and the Bill of Rights, and the Karens and their Stasi snitching. Anne Frank would've been in an oven in under a day if facebook and nextdoor had been around then.
    1000% This!

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Forest Rider,
    I feel for ya, man. I got great big black tomcat who has just been pronounced diabetic, with some kidney issues too, and he has become 'bonded' to me. So, on top of all of that, I got this to deals with. It's grinding.
    Just call me Ray

NDD
    mtbr member
    If the numbers were higher like during SARS, ect , I'd be more concerned, but life goes on as it always has and these numbers aren't shit.

Anne Frank would've been in an oven in under a day if facebook and nextdoor had been around then.
    If what numbers were higher like SARS (assuming you're talking early 2000's, COVID-19 is a disease that's technically a SARS)? 8,400 cases and 775 deaths, so maybe you're talking about mortality rate.

As for the second point, I actually agree with you, and have found it strange because there's no legal precedent here saying you have to stay inside. Businesses with high chances of transmission that aren't "essential" have been shut down, but restaurants can offer food to go or for delivery. Nevertheless, there are constant complaints about people being outside in general, despite PPE and/or social distancing. I go to parks regularly and seldom come close to other people. Alternatively, on St. Pat's Day I was walking around and there were parties of dozens of people in a garage. I suppose if anyone were infected that day, it's a problem that sorts itself out, and people should be allowed to take educated risks, but I honestly don't believe that most folks understand the concept of risk when there's such a thing as asymptomatic transmission.
    dang

mtbr member
    People are in very different places with all of this, that's for sure. Sharing the burden out here can sometimes be therapeutic.

For some reason, I'm in a better headspace now compared to last week. We did manage to have some socially distant gatherings, if that makes sense (kind of like 'friendly fire' or 'jumbo shrimp'). I think that helped bring a relative sense of normalcy back around.

I too wonder if busy families will return to the overscheduled life when all is clear, or will decide to let go of some of that? Time will tell. My neighborhood has never been busier with families out walking and spending time together.

mtbr member

No known cure
    If what numbers were higher like SARS (assuming you're talking early 2000's, COVID-19 is a disease that's technically a SARS)? 8,400 cases and 775 deaths, so maybe you're talking about mortality rate.

As for the second point, I actually agree with you, and have found it strange because there's no legal precedent here saying you have to stay inside. Businesses with high chances of transmission that aren't "essential" have been shut down, but restaurants can offer food to go or for delivery. Nevertheless, there are constant complaints about people being outside in general, despite PPE and/or social distancing. I go to parks regularly and seldom come close to other people. Alternatively, on St. Pat's Day I was walking around and there were parties of dozens of people in a garage. I suppose if anyone were infected that day, it's a problem that sorts itself out, and people should be allowed to take educated risks, but I honestly don't believe that most folks understand the concept of risk when there's such a thing as asymptomatic transmission.
    I suppose it's state by state, county by county. In rural AZ, there was a rodeo over the weekend. Nobody had PPE and it was packed, along with a local pizza joint with picknick tables outside. It was packed too. It seems like outside the blue counties and cities here in the west, things are quickly getting back to normal.

Oddly, yesterday was the anniversery of Lexington Concorde and we seem to exercise our rights out west more than those back east. In rural AZ, you can walk into a restaurant and see every man and woman with a gun on their hip, only because they can. Try that in Massachusettes.

Bikesexual
    Quote Originally Posted by chazpat View Post
    x5 and I'm not betting against you, jcd.
    Lol
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit

mtbr member
    I suppose it's state by state, county by county. In rural AZ, there was a rodeo over the weekend. Nobody had PPE and it was packed, along with a local pizza joint with picknick tables outside. It was packed too. It seems like outside the blue counties and cities here in the west, things are quickly getting back to normal.

Oddly, yesterday was the anniversery of Lexington Concorde and we seem to exercise our rights out west more than those back east. In rural AZ, you can walk into a restaurant and see every man and woman with a gun on their hip, only because they can. Try that in Massachusettes.
    Hmmm, I live in Massachusetts and have an LTC because I can. No biggie, just be a law abiding citizen, follow all regs, and you’re good to go.

Must be concealed. No open carry here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member

The Blue States can catch up later.....

No known cure
    Quote Originally Posted by ravewoofer View Post
    Hmmm, I live in Massachusetts and have an LTC because I can. No biggie, just be a law abiding citizen, follow all regs, and you’re good to go.

Same in most counties in CA. Most are shall issue, some aren't like LA county who just realeased thousands of inmates, some violent and sex offenders, then held a press conference warning citizens to be extra dillegent when going out.

I just got back from ACE for soil for my raised bed garden, a handfull of seed packs which I was out of, and paint to change the color of one of the bathrooms. Everyone had masks on but it was packed. Same when I checked my mail at the PO. (we don't have home delivery)

No known cure
    Quote Originally Posted by ravewoofer View Post

Same in most counties in CA. Most are shall issue, some aren't like LA county who just realeased thousands of inmates, some violent and sex offenders, then held a press conference warning citizens to be extra dillegent when going out.

I just got back from ACE for soil for my raised bed garden, a handfull of seed packs which I was out of, and paint to change the color of one of the bathrooms. Everyone had masks on but it was packed. Same when I checked my mail at the PO. (we don't have home delivery)

NDD
    mtbr member
    I'm glad you're pretty well removed from it, then. Just something to be mindful of, ready for in your case. Avoid bigger cities, don't pick up folks from the airport, etc. An easy adjustment. I'm guessing blue counties/cities getting back to normal has more to do with population density and prevalence of cases, but, clearly I don't live out there.

In Missouri, it's gone better than I thought it might (considering only reported numbers). Lots of folks in rural areas thought just being rural was enough, but it's not uncommon to drive 100 miles a day for many folks to go do shopping, meet people and such. But going to bigger cities to do things was just a way to get it and bring it back. People are much more socially connected out there with church, Lion's Club, and senior centers playing a central role in the community. Easy for a cluster to form if it gets in. That's how multiple dozens of folks got it and died in one moderately rural country in Georgia. Huge number of cases linked to people attending one funeral and transmitting to more people from there. Very sad. Same with church services or choir practice in multiple states. The purpose of recognizing these things isn't to instill fear, but to be mindful and realistic. If it's known to be in your area, avoid these things, avoid people who have traveled, disinfect groceries or other things you buy, things like that. I think people need to take it seriously, but not leaving the house at all seems a bit much.
    dang

No known cure
    I'm glad you're pretty well removed from it, then. Just something to be mindful of, ready for in your case. Avoid bigger cities, don't pick up folks from the airport, etc. An easy adjustment. I'm guessing blue counties/cities getting back to normal has more to do with population density and prevalence of cases, but, clearly I don't live out there.

In Missouri, it's gone better than I thought it might (considering only reported numbers). Lots of folks in rural areas thought just being rural was enough, but it's not uncommon to drive 100 miles a day for many folks to go do shopping, meet people and such. But going to bigger cities to do things was just a way to get it and bring it back. People are much more socially connected out there with church, Lion's Club, and senior centers playing a central role in the community. Easy for a cluster to form if it gets in. That's how multiple dozens of folks got it and died in one moderately rural country in Georgia. Huge number of cases linked to people attending one funeral and transmitting to more people from there. Very sad. Same with church services or choir practice in multiple states. The purpose of recognizing these things isn't to instill fear, but to be mindful and realistic. If it's known to be in your area, avoid these things, avoid people who have traveled, disinfect groceries or other things you buy, things like that. I think people need to take it seriously, but not leaving the house at all seems a bit much.
    I've only been off the mountain once in eight weeks. And really haven't left the street except to shop for fresh fruits and veggies. I can ride from the house. I live on top of the San Andreas Fault and am stocked up on food, water, TP, gas, propane and cords of firewood. The only reason I drove off the mountain was to pick up a package at the FedEx hub.

mtbr member
    Excellent posts....

Bikesexual
    Someone lost it.

Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit

NDD
    mtbr member
    Someone lost it.

Hey, if that's what a guy has to do to protect his mental wellbeing.
    dang

^Holy shit, that nuclear dumpster fire of a thread in 50+

mtbr member
    I feel responsible.

well mannered lout
    Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post
    I feel responsible.
    In a good way?

mtbr member
    In a good way?
    Not usually

NDD
    mtbr member
    ^Holy shit, that nuclear dumpster fire of a thread in 50+
    For obvious reasons I don't go in that forum, but damn. Y'all got some stamina.
    dang

TOP TIER LURKER
    Current state of mind: 5150

How about you?

Pipe Dreamer
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawgzilla View Post

How about you?

mtbr member
    Hey, if that's what a guy has to do to protect his mental wellbeing.
    Too much Call of Duty on the XBox...

Idaho

mtbr member
    For obvious reasons I don't go in that forum, but damn. Y'all got some stamina.
    My world over there...makes me feel young and vibrant at my relatively youthful age of low 50's!

mtbr member

How about you?
    Van Halen? I loved the first few albums but lost interest as DLR became even more full of himself.

NDD
    mtbr member
    Too much Call of Duty on the XBox...
    Is that a thing people do still?
    dang

TOP TIER LURKER
    Because steel is real?

TOP TIER LURKER
    Idaho
    ..but she's gone now?

NDD
    mtbr member
    Because steel is real?
    Or when someone leaves his fishing pole in the back of his truck and you steal 'is reel.
    dang

..but she's gone now?
    Yep. Hope she doesn't find me. Iowa'd her lotsa money.

TOP TIER LURKER
    Yep. Hope she doesn't find me. Iowa'd her lotsa money.
    LOL, never heard the extended version!

Is there more???

LOL, never heard the extended version!

Is there more???
    No idea what she's up to. If I do run into her, Alaska.

TOP TIER LURKER
    No idea what she's up to. If I do run into her, Alaska.
    OMG, you are killing me!

OMG, you are killing me!
    Utah'ded it.

psycho cyclo addict
    Remaining sane and staying healthy.

Some days feel a bit adrift but I guess that is to be expected.

My wife is having more of a challenge with the work from home routine than me.
    【ツ】 eDub 【ツ】

Gravel bike w/ MTB tires
    Rigid steel SS 29er
    Rigid titanium SS 27.5
    Full suspension 29er
    Hard Tail 29er

banned
    Apr 2010
    it is your number one goal, to maintain a positive mindset in the face of adversity.

as a business owner, i have to tell myself that, alot lately.

XC iconoclast
    Quote Originally Posted by Picard View Post
    I am not sane. I am going nuts now. I can't ride my bike or go camping

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Picard you are in Canada, are you saying they will arrest you if you go out???

Isn't the population density there like 0.1 person per square mile? Isn't that enough social distancing?

I'm riding every day, all kinds of people jogging and walking here. Cops don't care here, I guess we are lucky. Some wear masks, some don't but you just keep your distance.

M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
    Not doing splendid but it’s been a month and a half long holding pattern. But I do still miss her.
    Don’t frail and blow if you’re going to Braille and Flow.

9 lives
    Today is an exciting day.

Grocery day! Woo hoo!
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    I can only ride my bike when I am happy and content. I have not ridden my bike in over a month. earlier this week, I made a list of all the bike gear I own and approximately how much money I would get from selling it all. it's not very much money! then again, most of the stuff I own was on sale, given to me, or purchased only because it was the cheapest thing I could tolerate riding.

I feel like owning something nice and not enjoying it is morally wrong—it's just something about my upbringing and the way I am wired. I reserve that judgement for myself. other people can have storage sheds full of toys they don't enjoy and that's their decision. owning and maintaining a mountain bike is starting to seem so frivolous and wasteful that I can't bring myself to enjoy it. I am sure a therapist would love the challenge but end up hating me in the long run.

Your mental well-being rightaboutnow...-screenshot_20200421-181644_chrome.jpg

Up In Smoke
    That was brutal mack_T. Almost shed a tear...

Get on your bikes and ride!!
    -Queen

well mannered lout
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    I can only ride my bike when I am happy and content. I have not ridden my bike in over a month. earlier this week, I made a list of all the bike gear I own and approximately how much money I would get from selling it all. it's not very much money! then again, most of the stuff I own was on sale, given to me, or purchased only because it was the cheapest thing I could tolerate riding.
    If it won't yield much when you sell it, it surely will cost more if you decide to replace it. You're one of the smartest people on these forums...I won't try and change your mind. Just be wise and take your time deciding. You'll still be able to sell your gear for too little money when times are more certain.

mtbr member
    If it won't yield much when you sell it, it surely will cost more if you decide to replace it. You're one of the smartest people on these forums...I won't try and change your mind. Just be wise and take your time deciding. You'll still be able to sell your gear for too little money when times are more certain.
    Ditto

mtbr member
    Be sure to get some exercise, it's important.

https://youtu.be/xyEtbeMwhE8

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    I can only ride my bike when I am happy and content. I have not ridden my bike in over a month....... I am sure a therapist would love the challenge but end up hating me in the long run.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20200421-181644_Chrome.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	172.4 KB 
ID:	1327085
    I am only happy and content when I do ride my bike. Therapists charge extra if you want them to hate you.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    You have to make your own happiness.

State of mind

Once the normal routine is thrown out the window, many people dont know what to do. You have to switch it up and get out of the funk your in.

Depression is serious, seek help.

There are phone lines available, seek out help. Even those places are getting funding to stay open because the experts know people are getting depressed and dont know what to do at home.

banned
    Apr 2010
    much better, now that i know when i can reopen my business.

Quote Originally Posted by matt4x4 View Post
    Depression is serious, seek help.

There are phone lines available, seek out help. Even those places are getting funding to stay open because the experts know people are getting depressed and dont know what to do at home.
    This x1000.

Up In Smoke
    Quote Originally Posted by tim208 View Post
    much better, now that i know when i can reopen my business.
    You've been given a date?

All fat, all the time.
    I found adding a new activity to my usual rides makes for a fun Friday afternoon.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Duck Fonald
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark View Post
    I found adding a new activity to my usual rides makes for a fun Friday afternoon.

Just as long as you clean up after yourself.
    "Nobody likes me."

DJT

banned
    Jul 2015
    I'm better mentally due to less traffic and half the time too get to the trails and home from work.

All fat, all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    Just as long as you clean up after yourself.
    Always clean up your brass

Cycologist

I feel like owning something nice and not enjoying it is morally wrong—it's just something about my upbringing and the way I am wired. I reserve that judgement for myself. other people can have storage sheds full of toys they don't enjoy and that's their decision. owning and maintaining a mountain bike is starting to seem so frivolous and wasteful that I can't bring myself to enjoy it. I am sure a therapist would love the challenge but end up hating me in the long run.
    While I could see that if you were riding an expensive carbon bike, from what I read, you ride a simple rigid singlespeed. I'm similar, though I have a stable of bikes that add up, most of them I bought used and they aren't worth all that much dollarwise, my newest bike is a 2017 Kona Unit and my other main bike is a 2014 SC Superlight. All my road bikes are 2001- 2003ish (though really nice steel!). I'm fully aware that a newer and/or more expensive bike isn't going to make me happier, it's about riding, not the equipment for me.

Anyway, what I'm saying is that you aren't being extravagant or morally wrong. I think you need to go for a ride, do so with no expectations or pressure, just relax and ride. Or take a break for awhile and then give it a try when you are ready.

I'm a bit in a similar situation. I haven't mountain biked since early November due to my crash and now the virus. I got in a few road rides before the virus and rode once in the neighborhood with my son since the shutdown. Meanwhile, I've cut a short trail in my yard but haven't ridden it yet. Maybe in the back of my mind I'm worried it won't be as fun as I remember. Or maybe I know how difficult it will be after losing all my fitness. But I think mostly it is just from getting out of the habit of riding.

Probably even tougher is my running. I've thought often about giving it up. But then I decide, no, it's something I've enjoyed doing and it is who I am. I got in a few runs before the shutdown and I was accepting that I couldn't cover that much difference and just enjoyed being outside in the woods.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    [QUOTE=mack_turtle;14696525]
    . I am sure a therapist would love the challenge but end up hating me in the long run.

I'm sure there are plenty of therapists that would not end up hating you, and since obamacare, insurance companies cannot refuse to pay for therapy. Get some. It's about your perspective. Something is blocking you from changing it.
    Just call me Ray