Not helpful.

Your favorite items from Trader Joe's

What do you get when you shop there? Be it tasty, or just a good deal. Or do you pick up a hot TJ chick or two?

Unsalted sunflower seeds. $2 for a big bag. Can't stop eating these!

1/2 and 1/2. Helluva deal for $1.29.

Little cups of free coffee, and food samples. Today was raspberries and cheese. Food samples, not coffee, smartass.

Greeting cards. Very cool designs, constantly rotated, for .99 cents.

Sometimes good buys on weird beer, but it's always warm.

Coconut strips!

What else?
    What's wrong with him??

Meatbomb
    Midnight Moo !!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Gobbler wraps in season
    Scallion pancakes (they're great prepared in the oven)
    The sea salt caramel ice cream
    Buffalo jerky
    Last edited by wschruba; 04-18-2015 at 09:09 PM.

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Have you tried their new peanut butter spread? It comes in different flavors but the chocolates the best.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

I didn't do it
    When I lived near a Trader Joe's I hardly ever went. It, and all the others I've seen, have terrible parking. It was always a pain in the ass to even get into the small stores. I live about 80 miles from the nearest one now so I won't be going any time soon.
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted
    Remember, commas save lives

Quote Originally Posted by Mookie View Post
    When I lived near a Trader Joe's I hardly ever went. It, and all the others I've seen, have terrible parking. It was always a pain in the ass to even get into the small stores. I live about 80 miles from the nearest one now so I won't be going any time soon.
    Mook they just built a new one in Fort Collins. Where the old mall is off south College. The mall is right now being completely rebuilt. But the Trader Joes is open and it's pretty big with great parking. Definitely nicer than all the others I've been to. They even have a corner set up like a bar for tasting different products.
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

I didn't do it
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    Mook they just built a new one in Fort Collins. Where the old mall is off south College. The mall is right now being completely rebuilt. But the Trader Joes is open and it's pretty big with great parking. Definitely nicer than all the others I've been to. They even have a corner set up like a bar for tasting different products.
    I would definitely go to that one, I know exactly where that is. That's all I ask, easy access and make 'em just a little bigger so I'm not bumping into the yoga pants wearing hottie bending over looking for the latest corn chip flavor. Wait a minute, on second thought...
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted

Not helpful.
    I went to one, can't remember where (Chico?), where the back of it looked like it was the entrance. You'd park near what you thought was the front, only to walk up and find you had to walk around the building and enter from the opposite side.

I tell you, some of these mall designers need to have their pens cut off.
    What's wrong with him??

Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    I went to one, can't remember where (Chico?), where the back of it looked like it was the entrance. You'd park near what you thought was the front, only to walk up and find you had to walk around the building and enter from the opposite side.

There's one in San Diego like that in busy Pacific Beach. You park in the back parking lot and walk across the alley only to find out that door is locked. So you have to walk 1/2 block down the alley and around to the front entrance. Which is a busy street, with limited parking. It was like this for a couple of years until they finally got a clue and let you enter either entrance.

EMBA Member
    Trader Joe's has a great selection of salsa. When they say it is medium, it really is, and if they say it is hot, be forewarned. The frozen chicken teriyaki is really good. Several minutes in the microwave, toss over rice with some vegies on the side is a great meal for me. I steamed up several dim sum type items once - it was a good meal.

Not helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ladmo View Post
    Trader Joe's has a great selection of salsa. When they say it is medium, it really is, and if they say it is hot, be forewarned. The frozen chicken teriyaki is really good. Several minutes in the microwave, toss over rice with some vegies on the side is a great meal for me. I steamed up several dim sum type items once - it was a good meal.
    Yes! I second the salsa, and the pico deguello (sp?) is nummy, too. Compared it to Safeway brand and it blew Sway out of the water.
    What's wrong with him??

Afric Pepperbird
    Roasted coconut chips

Tins of smoked trout

Italian and Spanish wines (NOT Three Buck Chuck! That stuff is garbage).

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Last time I went, I had to pick up a can of 100% kona coffee beans.

I didn't do it

This is definitely a poor business model. Stuff like this keeps me away.
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted

gobsmacked Moderator
    I buy their coffee beans. Im too poor to pay a gazillion dollar for fancy schmancy beans when I go through so much of it weekly.

mtbr member
    Hard to pick, but I'm putting these on everything these days

It wouldn't be a Trader Joe's if it had good parking. The one closest to me (the original location?) has literally 2 entrances and no exits.
    buzzes like a fridge

I didn't do it
    Quote Originally Posted by PerfectZero View Post
    It wouldn't be a Trader Joe's if it had good parking. The one closest to me (the original location?) has literally 2 entrances and no exits.
    This is precisely why I stay away from Trader Joe's. The TJ's I'm familiar with have micro parking lots next to busy streets. Freaking ridiculous. It seems to be part of their business plan but I just don't get it.
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    It's been a long time since I've had spaghetti, but I used to love getting (and eating) their $.69/lb spaghetti. Their sauces were pretty amazing, too.

mtbr member
    Spinach & Kale Pie... so yummy.

Name:  98495-spinach-kale-pie.jpg
Views: 325
Size:  63.3 KB

Meatbomb
    Those Cherry Peppers rock it!

Try parking an F 250 in one of their lots.

Not helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by dirt farmer View Post
    ...(NOT Three Buck Chuck! That stuff is garbage).
    I disagree. But I'm not a wine guy, so I appreciate the value.
    What's wrong with him??

I don't know about the truth in that, I've heard you whine plenty.

mtbr member
    I found this seasoning there called Dukka. So now they stopped selling it because it doesn't sell that well.

gobsmacked Moderator
    been nice knowin' ya! 28 Cheap California Wines Found to Contain High Levels of Arsenic | L.A. Weekly

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    Those Cherry Peppers rock it!

Have you tried the TJ's Seriously Stuffed Peppers? Peppers stuffed with olives stuffed with garlic and capers. Not spicy at all but they are delicious.

Your favorite items from Trader Joe's-trader-joes-seriously-stuffed-peppers-1.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by D.Ambrose View Post
    Have you tried the TJ's Seriously Stuffed Peppers? Peppers stuffed with olives stuffed with garlic and capers. Not spicy at all but they are delicious.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	trader-joes-seriously-stuffed-peppers-1.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	66.1 KB 
ID:	982561
    Yum! I'll score some of those next time.

Hi There!
    I'm not big on Trader Joe's either, but I'll keep one of these in the freezer for emergencies:

Name:  3985447263_1d414cca22.jpg
Views: 249
Size:  157.0 KB

And this stuff will do when I don't have any real raspberry jalapeno jelly:

Name:  96534-hot-sweet-pepper-jelly.png
Views: 562
Size:  124.3 KB
    NTFTC

mtbr member
    Hippy weed brownie mix.
    Stick around if you're housebroken...

mtbr member
    I love their spices. Particularly the spaghetti sauce spice and the grinder of rainbow pepper.

My wife recently bought some frozen green beans that were superb.
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    Haha. I drive an F250 and know exactly what you mean. I park at the auto parts store and walk over.

TJs has a cereal I like. I hate going there so much I buy 8-10 boxes at a time to minimize my TJs frustration.

Not helpful.
    Their little quiches are good, especially the Mexicaine one. Great for an in between breakfast and lunch pick me up.

Their little quiches are good, especially the Mexicaine one. Great for an in between breakfast and lunch pick me up.
    Even though "real men don't eat quiche" I must agree with you on that.
    Very tasty!

Mr. Buck E. Fikes
    I can't believe someone hasn't mentioned their Pub Cheese! A container filled with a yellow, primordial ooooze that is, no doubt, mined from the bowels of hell. It's dreamy when paired with thin pretzels. We were introduced by a free sample after taking one step inside the store one evening.

With that said, we're regulars at TJ's. Been going since it first started up in SoCal and frequented one of their early stores in Placentia when my mom would drive the 20-30 minutes to load up on different wines and other oddball grocery items that weren't available elsewhere. My neighbor and MTB mentor that got me into this mess of mtb riding is a career TJ's man and a couple other riding friends are as well. One thing that I have noticed is TJ's really seems to moving into the processed foods a lot more than days of old. I avoid that shit like the plague, these days. I've had to curb my jones for Pub Cheese for this reason.

achiever

Your favorite items from Trader Joe's

Lots of good stuff at TJ's but this rice bag just blows goats. Zip lock in the middle of the bag = fail on so many levels. I'd love to have a conversation with the genius who designed this bag. Oh & the 15min cook time is bs, too. Takes 25.

Weird huh?
    Now Mookie, all's y'all's just gotta hitch up the horses to the wagon and make the the trip into town, 'specially after the fall harvest..

El Cid is Spanish for The Cid..
    cmdrpiffle 7 points 1 day ago
    Cinco de Mayo is Spanish for Cinco de Mayo

Not helpful.
    Holy sudoku, they have a Baconesque white cheddar popcorn that is TO DIE FOR.
    What's wrong with him??

searchin for Animal Chin
    We buy almost all our food at Trader Joes and it's just a few blocks from my house and the parking lot is a shared one with Kmart so it's huge and easy to get to!

Dunkleweizen, cookie butter, steak and ale pies yum, black forest bacon, middle eastern flat bread makes a perfect pizza crust to make your own pizzas, lotsa different salsas, the guacamole kit ready to make is handy, tea tree oil shampoo is good for my psoriasis as well as the 100% aloe vera gel. Oh and the best mac & cheese ever! in the frozen section not the "reduced guilt" one haha.
    some weird crazed desert dweller.

STEEL IS REAL
    Nov 2008
    The cashier girls
    life is... "All About Bikes"...

Upcyclist
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    The cashier girls
    Lol! I almost married one! We were together for 3 years before we went our separate ways. Needles to say: we lived of TJ's for quite a long time. But that was a long time ago, and I since forgotten what our favorites were, and I'm not gonna try and remember.

We don't have one where I live now because of the stupid archaic liquor laws in the mid-west. I assume they make a lot of their revenue selling booze, so it might not be profitable to open a store out here. Closest one is about 3 hours away.
    Cool heads prevail

STEEL IS REAL
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Cornfield View Post
    Lol! I almost married one! We were together for 3 years before we went our separate ways. Needles to say: we lived of TJ's for quite a long time. But that was a long time ago, and I since forgotten what our favorites were, and I'm not gonna try and remember.

We don't have one where I live now because of the stupid archaic liquor laws in the mid-west. I assume they make a lot of their revenue selling booze, so it might not be profitable to open a store out here. Closest one is about 3 hours away.
    That's odd because out West, they are not thought of as a place to score liquor even though they do carry some exotic stuff. What you see going in and out of those stores here is a bunch of health conscious folks (girls in yoga pants, of course).

Oh jeez this shit never ends. I can't wait until a new trend in pants comes down the pipeline......on second thought yoga pants have a good twenty or more years of style left in them.

since 4/10/2009
    the dried mango covered in chili powder is probably my favorite stuff.

TJ's does have my go-to "cheap" coffee. I can't drink the absolute cheapest stuff out there, but TJ's carries about the least expensive coffee that I'll drink and enjoy. I occasionally will splurge and buy some better beans than what TJ's offers (usually something locally roasted), or I'll go hog wild and order some organic 100% Kona beans at over $50/lb.

Those stuffed peppers look really good, though. Might have to look for some next time I stop in.

I get a rather large amount of my groceries delivered. There's a really awesome regional grocery delivery service with its main office and distribution center just a couple miles away. We get better than 3/4 of our fruits and vegetables through them. We get a smaller portion of our meat and eggs from a local farm that also delivers. Another small portion we get from a local butcher shop that does a lot of processed meats. Most of the rest we get from a Kroger that's across the street, so even though the TJ's here isn't all that far away, and has apparently pretty good parking and access compared to the stores most of you guys have, I don't go there very often.

SPECIALizED
    Cowboy Bark!

Not helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by UPSed View Post
    Cowboy Bark!
    Wow. My teeth rot just looking at that pic.

I'll get some tomorrow.
    What's wrong with him??

Upcyclist
    That's odd because out West, they are not thought of as a place to score liquor even though they do carry some exotic stuff. What you see going in and out of those stores here is a bunch of health conscious folks (girls in yoga pants, of course).
    I was just assuming not being able to sell liquor is one of the main reasons they don't have a store here, I could be wrong. There is a TJ's in Kansas City, on the KS side, but they don't sell alcohol. There must be a large enough population to support one. There's another one in Tulsa, no alcohol sold there, either.

I've seen a petition at liquor stores to keep grocery stores from selling anything but 3.2 beer, so maybe things will change?
    Cool heads prevail

since 4/10/2009
    I've seen a petition at liquor stores to keep grocery stores from selling anything but 3.2 beer, so maybe things will change?
    Good luck with that. Here, the liquor store lobby managed to squash legislation that would allow Sunday sales, including at grocery stores. But TJ's does carry beer and wine here.

Mr. Buck E. Fikes
    What you see going in and out of those stores here is a bunch of health conscious folks (girls in yoga pants, of course).
    You just HAD to go there. And I just happened to have that pic....

You mean like THIS "Health Conscious" folk?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Your favorite items from Trader Joe's-3789.jpg  

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    At least she has healthy fat.

I didn't do it
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh My Sack! View Post
    You just HAD to go there. And I just happened to have that pic....

You mean like THIS "Health Conscious" folk?
    Or rather health unconscious.
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted

I didn't do it
    The cashier girls
    That's a good point. I like the cashier gals.

Dang Korn, too bad you couldn't hold to that one. If she meets my image of a TJ's gal she must have been pretty cute and friendly.

When I lived in Seattle there was one about 3 or 4 blocks from me. Here in Utah, nada. There might be one in SLC, I don't know.
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted

Hell Track
    they've got some really good whole bean coffee. We shop there almost exclusively

mtbr member
    Yes, the whole bean coffees are very good. The Ethiopian is my favorite. Bay blend is good too.

Their salsa, pico, tamales and enchiladas are good.

Cookie butter

I keep a stock of their trail mix packs for rides.

The parking is terrible and it's compounded by the snooty better than you clientele of this particular shopping area but...

The cashiers are friendly and get you checked out fast and use paper bags.

Upcyclist
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    Good luck with that. Here, the liquor store lobby managed to squash legislation that would allow Sunday sales, including at grocery stores. But TJ's does carry beer and wine here.
    That's odd, wacky laws imo. I don't drink anymore so I don't really care. I would like a TJ's in town, tho.

Dang Korn, too bad you couldn't hold to that one. If she meets my image of a TJ's gal she must have been pretty cute and friendly.
    She was cute and friendly...when we started dating

When I lived in Seattle there was one about 3 or 4 blocks from me. Here in Utah, nada. There might be one in SLC, I don't know.
    Yes, there's one in SLC, and another near Cottonwood Heights.
    Cool heads prevail

Not helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by OddTrickStar View Post
    Yes, the whole bean coffees are very good. The Ethiopian is my favorite. Bay blend is good too.

Their salsa, pico, tamales and enchiladas are good.

Cookie butter

I keep a stock of their trail mix packs for rides.

The parking is terrible and it's compounded by the snooty better than you clientele of this particular shopping area but...

The cashiers are friendly and get you checked out fast and use paper bags.
    The trail mix packs! A big bag of smaller bags of choice items (nuts, dark chocolate, yogurt chunks, dried fruit, etc.) Several varieties from which to choose, these are the perfect alternative to boring energy bars (which TJ's also sells, of course).
    Last edited by Finch Platte; 05-27-2015 at 03:44 AM.
    What's wrong with him??

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Be careful with the White Cheddar Corn Puffs!

ali'i hua
    house brand Zapopan Tequila is some fine stuff for $10.

though seasonal, try the Himalayan sea salt with truffles. such a fine thing to put on a rare steak. did that last night!

mtbr member
    Organic avocados

mtbr member
    Coconut oil for everyday use. As well as "personal oils"*WINK WINK*

Also the 10$ handle of dark rum. Mix it in with coke and you're all good.
    !Echale Vampiro!

Not helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by BlowtorchBob View Post
    Coconut oil for everyday use. As well as "personal oils"*WINK WINK*

Also the 10$ handle of dark rum. Mix it in with coke and you're all good.
    The $10 TJ blended Scotch whiskey is good, as well. *hic!*
    What's wrong with him??

searchin for Animal Chin
    The $10 TJ blended Scotch whiskey is good, as well. *hic!*
    YES and it's 1000 ml also not 750.

And Bob is that for personal "solo" use or "couples" use?

Not helpful.
    Ummmm. Pretzel bread, toasted with butter and garlic! Wow!!!

Struan: Best Toast
    The Trader Joe's store brand sriracha. completely addicted.

Note: in plenty of beloved locations in the land, the abbreviation "TJ's" means one thing:
    Taco Johns.

searchin for Animal Chin
    Just discovered their Maple water. Been drinking a glass of this after rides and it makes you feel way better than water or gatorade type stuff. Very refreshing!

mtbr member
    Their red box mac & cheese, in the frozen foods. So good.

Mr. Buck E. Fikes
    Quote Originally Posted by EugeneTheJeep View Post
    Just discovered their Maple water. Been drinking a glass of this after rides and it makes you feel way better than water or gatorade type stuff. Very refreshing!
    Maple water? Hmmmmmm...interesting. Is it fizzy?

Not helpful.
    Try getting a jug of their tangerine juice and add a splash to their flavored sparkling water. Good, and good for you!

searchin for Animal Chin
    Maple water? Hmmmmmm...interesting. Is it fizzy?
    Nope not fizzy, just straight up maple water right from the tree.

U sayin' Bolt ?
    Name:  20110213-tjs-belgian-chocolate-500.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  34.6 KB
    Your favorite items from Trader Joe's-93184-dark-chocolate-lovers-chocolate-bar-85-percent.png

mtbr member
    Your favorite items from Trader Joe's-51463-sardines-harissa-di.png

mtbr member
    Name:  wn-sweet-sriracha-uncured-bacon-jerky.png
Views: 92
Size:  135.6 KB

mtbr member
    What the hell is cookie butter? Maple water? There's gotta be one of these in Boulder.

Mr. Buck E. Fikes
    Quote Originally Posted by watermonkey View Post
    What the hell is cookie butter? Maple water? There's gotta be one of these in Boulder.
    Imagine a cookie smashed up to a point that it turns to a peanut butter consistency. That's cookie butter. Like a lot of TJ's tasty things, it's pure poison. I'll be trying the Maple Water in a bit. Headed up to TJ's in just a few. Anybody need anything?

Not helpful.
    Imagine a cookie smashed up to a point that it turns to a peanut butter consistency. That's cookie butter. Like a lot of TJ's tasty things, it's pure poison. I'll be trying the Maple Water in a bit. Headed up to TJ's in just a few. Anybody need anything?
    Saw the maple water today, it's a little pricey for my tastes.

You can get me one of those little bags of dark chocolate with peanut butter filling cups, thank you very much. Reese's will never taste the same again.

Edit: One of the employees opened a bag of their partially cooked popcorn kernels last week. They are incredibly tasty, but my teeth hate them. they are just like corn nuts, but taste like popcorn. Naomi. No not Naomi you stupid phone, no money. No not no money you stupid phone, nummy. that's gold teeth! No you stupid phone that's got it!

Quote Originally Posted by watermonkey View Post
    There's a brand new one that opened up last February in Boulder.

Trader Joe's in Boulder: First photos of new store - Boulder Daily Camera

1906 28th St. Boulder.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    we buy lots of stuff at TJ but MTB-specific item: 19cent Dole bananas :-)
    most markets and costco carry Chiquita and they're ultra bland like oatmeal.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    if you're buying whole coffee beans from any market that doesn't have them packaged with a roasted date, you should try buying fresh roasted beans from a local roaster/cafe if any (likely close to $20/lb), otherwise lots of online vendors, you might need to buy 5 lbs to get free shipping (~$12/lb). Here's one I've bought from:

redbirdcoffee.com

Mr. Buck E. Fikes
    Yeah, $2.99 for a little cardboard carton on the Maple Water! I was there, so I got it.

It's water.

With the slightest hint of maple.

The slightest.

Nothing bad in it but nutritionally it offers nothing aside from around 25gr of potassium. Worth a try but for the money, it's cheaper and better for me to keep using Tailwind Nutrition as I do. I can say I've had Maple Water, now.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    The new TJ's Brewed Ginger Beer is very very tasty. Highly recommend it

mtbr member
    LIES

JK

The maple water taste so damn good. But its more water with a hint of maple goodness.
    !Echale Vampiro!

STEEL IS REAL
    Nov 2008
    The checkstand girls, of course.

searchin for Animal Chin
    Yeah the maple water is kinda pricy but I love it and it makes me feel hydrated more after a ride/exercise. Maybe it's all in my head..... I suppose I could put a teaspoon of real maple syrup into a glass of water and try that would be much cheaper!

Hi There!
    I finally tried the Cookie Butter Ice Cream....was a bit too sweet, if you can understand that. The light brown stuff in there seemed like just sugar.
    NTFTC

mtbr member
    I thought it was Trade Yer Hoes. Shit, no wonder!

Not helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Cycle Shawn View Post
    I thought it was Trade Yer Hoes. Shit, no wonder!
    They wouldn't take any of your hoes in trade?

That sucks! Boycott Trader Joe's!!
    What's wrong with him??

searchin for Animal Chin
    Not like but dislike :Note to self: Always smell/taste the dressing on their pre-made salads BEFORE smothering it all over the salad. I had some Vietnamese style vermicelli shrimp salad, looked yummy enough, poured the dressing all over it and took a big bite, uuuuuugh it ruined my appetite for the rest of the day! If you could mix dog poo, sewage, dirt, and some tuna that's been laying out in the sun for a few days, I'd imagine it tastes like that.

Rabid Lana fan
    I kinda like their organic mini-hookers.

rOCktoberfest 2015 pt I here
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt II here

STEEL IS REAL
    Nov 2008
    Viagra, from their pharmacy.

Upcyclist
    Quote Originally Posted by net wurker View Post
    I kinda like their organic mini-hookers.

I bet those go good with their non-GMO blow.
    Cool heads prevail

Rabid Lana fan
    Organic hookers and non-GMO blow.

Decadent partying for the health-conscious generation!

LOL
    Net, bored this morning?

Rabid Lana fan
    Yeah.

Not helpful.
    Tried the falafel, not good. As one of the comments states, "fully cooked microwaveable dust." Convenient, but not tasty at all. Here's a review: The Laziest Vegans in the World: Trader Joe's Frozen Falafel

What's wrong with him??

Rabid Lana fan