Afric Pepperbird

Your favorite bird call

I am starting to get into birding, just a little bit. I've always loved the sounds of various bird calls and songs. There are so many great songs out there.

Which is your favorite?

Mine, without a doubt, is the haunting cry of the Common Loon. There are sadly no loons out west (or down south), and I truly miss them from where I'm originally from, the upper midwest.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/kiXjCifQn0w?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

humber river advocate

cheeseburger bird

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/qRY6v6LSvfY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

build trail!

Retired User
    Gobbler

mtbr member
    Mockingbirds. There's a commonality to the song but each individual bird modifies it so there's a uniqueness to it as well. If I spend very much time listening to the mockingbirds in a particular area I find that I can identify specific individuals with a pretty reasonable amount of accuracy. I find that pretty cool.

Second favorite would be the loon. I grew up in southern lower Michigan and spent an awful lot of time listening to and watching loons while fishing. Pretty cool as well.
    I'm enjoying my childhood way too much to ever give it up.

dirt farmer: GET OUT OF MY HEAD!!! That's my favorite bird call. Loons sound so sad and awesome. I love them.

psycho cyclo addict
    Jungle Bird- The man behind the "Jungle Bird" call during the U.S. Open trophy ceremony explains why he did it STOP DEFORESTATION!

CNN.com - Breaking News, U.S., World, Weather, Entertainment & Video News

STEEL IS REAL
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by dirt farmer View Post
    I am starting to get into birding, just a little bit. I've always loved the sounds of various bird calls and songs. There are so many great songs out there.

Which is your favorite?

Mine, without a doubt, is the haunting cry of the Common Loon. There are sadly no loons out west (or down south), and I truly miss them from where I'm originally from, the upper midwest.
    We do indeed have Loons out West, in the South (So Cal). They Winter here and then fly back up North for the Summer. Commonly seen at Lake Perris, CA in the cold months of the year.
    life is... "All About Bikes"...

STEEL IS REAL
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by singlesprocket View Post
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/qRY6v6LSvfY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    Nice pouch!

Sort of relevant, I just watched The Big Year. I ****ing hate listers; good movie though. I've also never really wanted a Pugsley but after seeing Attu island I wan to bikepack around it with a Pugs and some gear. It looks beautiful.
    Last edited by monzie; 07-12-2012 at 07:54 AM.

No Stranger to danger....
    Pied butcher bird, Kookaburra, the humble magpie, and i love the sound of plover mating calls sweeping across the water at night, nice thread DF, cheers

Hermit
    Yeah, loon calls are amazing. I used to live in Minnesota, and spent time in the Boundary Waters as well as Michigan's Upper Peninsula.

Here in the Allegheny foothills I like to hear the warblers in the forest. There are a couple of different species and it seems each one sounds a little different from the others.

Also like the sound of birds of prey. We have peregrin falcons in our downtown area, and I often hear their scream echo through the buildings.

Steve Z
    Pedaling when it's dry
    And paddling when it's wet

My insignificant blog:
    http://swampboy62.blogspot.com/

meow meow
    definitely a loon.

since 4/10/2009
    Wood thrush

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/D3IXZMB9JJM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    Last edited by Harold; 07-12-2012 at 01:13 PM.

banned
    Owls around our neighborhood are cool, both screeching and hooting.

I do think the loon call is very cool as well. This one isn't so haunting.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Hw1It3AlXmQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

No known cure
    I like to call the quail. Plus they're tasty.
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

9 lives
    cheeseburger! got to hand it to Trailerpark Boys!
    One of the forum members has Bubbles as an avatar!

My Favorite bird
    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/1tX0BAW-upE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

They work very hard, tapping at the trees ... I'm not sure if they have a distinct song. but I like the sounds they make
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

fading away
    Northern California variety of mockingbirds, for sure. Talk about creative tweets!
    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/CMpe34Aign4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    goodbye cruel world. I am leaving you today.

STEEL IS REAL
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker View Post
    Northern California variety of mockingbirds, for sure. Talk about creative tweets!
    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/CMpe34Aign4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    They are talented but at this time of the year, the little bastards are singing all night long!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I really like the Mountain Chickadee.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ambassadorhawg View Post
    They are talented but at this time of the year, the little bastards are singing all night long!
    the southern ones do the same thing. wood thrushes have such an ethereal sound, and I only hear them as the sun sets, so the time they choose to sing adds to the whole situation. they tend to like deep forests, so you don't hear them in typical suburbs. my neighborhood has plenty of forest and the houses are spaced out enough that we get a few every year.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    This might be weird, but my favorite bird is the crow. I even love the crow call.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Mourning Dove has always been a favorite of mine.

Hermit
    Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post
    This might be weird, but my favorite bird is the crow. I even love the crow call.
    Have you ever seen a 'murder' (that's the name for a flock of crows!) of crows drive a hawk to the ground? I've seen this several times, where a flock of crows harasses a hawk in the air, and basically forces it to land. Then they all take turns flying up and messing with it. I don't think they can do the hawk any real damage (at least not the times I've seen it happen) but its definitely an aggressive thing.

Steve Z
    Pedaling when it's dry

My insignificant blog:

mtbr member
    A great horned owl has nested nearby and it's often in a tree in my backyard at night and early in the morning. That's pretty cool to listen to. It also makes a pretty freaky noise when the crows are harassing it. It's a pretty cool sound. They used to harass it more when it first showed up, I think it was pretty young then and it was about their same size. They don't harass it so much now that it's bigger than they are, so I haven't heard it make that noise in quite some time.

I camped in the main campground on the south rim of the Grand Canyon about 14 years ago and at the time it was a rookery for ravens. That was pretty bizarre. Sounded like a bunch of people talking all around you all the time but you couldn't understand what they were saying. That really messed with your head!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by swampboy62 View Post
    Have you ever seen a 'murder' (that's the name for a flock of crows!) of crows drive a hawk to the ground? I've seen this several times, where a flock of crows harasses a hawk in the air, and basically forces it to land. Then they all take turns flying up and messing with it. I don't think they can do the hawk any real damage (at least not the times I've seen it happen) but its definitely an aggressive thing.

Steve Z
    YES. This is why I love them. They have a weird gang mentality and will tear sh|t up if they have to. They are known to have figured out that if they drop a nut on the ground, a car will run over it and crack it for them.

They also play fetch.

Most underrated bird, but I love them. Their caw almost sound prehistoric, and, if you're into the "animal spirit" thing, they have great attributes as a totem animal.

El Gato Malo
    Mar 2009
    Warm summer evenings and the stray calls of gray catbirds, my favorite time!

High Desert MTBer
    I love it when the missus calls me and tells me she loves me! That's my kind of bird call... but I am a Brit...
    It's all Here. Now.

Hermit
    Here's a cool one -

There's a creek that I kayak in eastern Ohio that has this HUGE sycamore tree 8' through the trunk growing right on the creek bank. This tree is home to a great blue heron nesting colony in its crown - about 30 nests of these huge birds. They are one of the few birds that colonize like this, and form big collections of nests.

When you're coming down the creek in your boat you can hear this weird sound - reminds you of Australian nature films. It's the sound of all the heron chicks up in the nests, calling out for more food. The adults have a real harsh caw like call - reminds me of the pterodactyls in Jurassic Park. The young are a bit more high pitched, but very squawky. Really a strange, unique experience.

Steve Z
    Pedaling when it's dry

My insignificant blog:

I ride brikes, dingus'
    You should check out the movie "The perfect year" with Jack black and Steve martin.
    You're not lost if you don't care where you are--- Tom Massie

STEEL IS REAL
    Nov 2008
    Here's a cool one -

There's a creek that I kayak in eastern Ohio that has this HUGE sycamore tree 8' through the trunk growing right on the creek bank. This tree is home to a great blue heron nesting colony in its crown - about 30 nests of these huge birds. They are one of the few birds that colonize like this, and form big collections of nests.

When you're coming down the creek in your boat you can hear this weird sound - reminds you of Australian nature films. It's the sound of all the heron chicks up in the nests, calling out for more food. The adults have a real harsh caw like call - reminds me of the pterodactyls in Jurassic Park. The young are a bit more high pitched, but very squawky. Really a strange, unique experience.

Steve Z
    I know exactly what you mean. There's a tree on the shore of a lake in my area that the Herons use as a nesting grounds. It's noisy there, not what you'd expect to hear around these parts.

"2 Wycked"
    Quote Originally Posted by dirt farmer View Post
    Your favorite bird call
    "Hey birdie birdie birdie.....hey birdie birdie" I usually follow up with a few "kissing" sounds. It never works though
    Ahhhh...Ahhhh....it's the hammy, it's the hammy!!

mtbr member
    Cardinals. Love how they sing.

There's a new bird out in my tree that sounds like a phone or an alarm clock going off downstairs in the basement. He always spaces his call out the same way convincing you that your phone is ringing. Until I realized it was a bird, I was going crazy wondering why the phone wasn't being answered.

It's pretty cool to hear him. He's a little thing like a finch or a little bigger.

There are also several owls that hoot at night. It's very soothing.

Quote Originally Posted by scmclark View Post
    You should check out the movie "The perfect year" with Jack black and Steve martin.
    Read my previous post. Buncha ****ing listers. I ****ing hate listers. Movie was good though.

since 4/10/2009
    Here's a cool one -

Steve Z
    A heron rookery. Many wading birds use them. I knew of a huge one in Texas that had more than a dozen species of birds that would nest in it. Some endangered like the wood stork.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Lyrebird FTW.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    One that I really love: the Rooster.

In the morning, it is such an iconic sound and represents so much in terms of American pioneering and agriculture. It's a beautiful call when put into context.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bethany1 View Post
    Cardinals. Love how they sing.

There's a new bird out in my tree that sounds like a phone or an alarm clock going off downstairs in the basement. He always spaces his call out the same way convincing you that your phone is ringing. Until I realized it was a bird, I was going crazy wondering why the phone wasn't being answered.

It's pretty cool to hear him. He's a little thing like a finch or a little bigger.

There are also several owls that hoot at night. It's very soothing.

Sounds like wrens. A carolina wren nested in a storage cabinet in my back yard a few years ago. She didn't have any trouble getting in and out through the finger hole in the sliding plexiglass door but when it was time for the babies to fledge, they couldn't figure it out and were trapped. I opened the door for them and stood back and watched them watch me for awhile, then they figured it out and flew out. I always knew which of the wrens in our backyard they were because they were the only ones that had no fear whatsoever of me. Pretty cool, that.

Sweep the leg!
    I think it's the cardinal that has a morning call that sounds a lot like "f u c k y o u". Years ago I was with an armored engineering unit and we were out blowing stuff up for training. In the mornings the daylight would be creeping up and there would be this loud "F-You" call.
    Authorities speculate that speed may have been a factor. They are also holding gravity and inertia for questioning.

Members who have read this thread: 0