Your coolest concert tee- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Your coolest concert tee

I was a bit too young for this concert, but it is my favorite concert tee.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Your coolest concert tee-img_3513.jpg  

Your coolest concert tee-img_3514.jpg  

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    I had a box full of concert tees I had in the garage. My X took them to Good Will during a move without me knowing. Probably about 20 or so shirts from the late 1970’s and beyond.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    ^^^ Probably several $1000 on eBay as well!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 5k bike 50cent legs View Post
    ^^^ Probably several $1000 on eBay as well!!!
    I’m gutted.

Cool Dead shirt, never saw them but always wanted to. Were you a “Dead Head”?
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    I’m gutted.

Cool Dead shirt, never saw them but always wanted to. Were you a “Dead Head”?
    Not really a true Dead Head in that I never followed them on the road, but I really like the music. The Dead have deep roots in the Bay Area and I've met several people who were very involved with them. Lots of cool stories.

Here's a cool article on the Dead and Palo Alto (where I live).

Palo Alto History

mtbr member
    I was at a property I was looking to tear down and develop in Palo Alto and happened to look at some of the old boxes in the garage. One had a bunch of old concert posters from the Cow Palace. Turns out the owner's son was somehow involved there during the 60s and 70s and collected these wall posters. They were all accidentally thrown away!

Fart smeller
    Got a boot T of the Red Hot Chili Peppers- Rock Out With Your Cock Out! Lol. 🎸 🐓
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

"If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention."

Heather Heyer

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    Got a boot T of the Red Hot Chili Peppers- Rock Out With Your Cock Out! Lol.
    Let’s see it.

High Desert MTBer
    I just got rid of a bunch of mine from over the years. Donated them to Goodwill. I'll never wear them. I have kept some special ones tho.

I still have one of the very very few of the infamous 'Hamsters of Rock' shirts we made up on the Van Halen/Scorpions Monster of Rock tour in 87. Van Halen were definitely in their twilight, and the tour wasn't doing too well, even tho Scorps were popular, and Metallica were on the bill too... Me and our set guy Graham started to call the tour the 'Hamsters Of Rock' tour, and Graham and I redesigned and redrew the tour All Access laminates just like the regular ones to read 'Hamsters' instead of Monsters, with a giant hamster smashing a guitar into the stage, and instead of the word STAFF, we put STIFF. They looked just like the real thing, and all the Scorpions and crew wore them for weeks without anyone noticing Then word got out, and soon everyone was wearing them. The guys from VH enjoyed the joke, except their manager Ed, who we disliked anyway, and eventually they asked if they could make up a shirt that would commemorate the occasion. Consent was given, and the shirts were born. very few were made, and only those close to the tour got them.

We were very surprised not long after, when one appeared on the cover of Rolling Stone!

Name:  7ae801ff2983a88d03f8b64b02f61011.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  66.7 KB
    It's all Here. Now.

Fart smeller
    Quote Originally Posted by rockerc View Post
    I just got rid of a bunch of mine from over the years. Donated them to Goodwill. I'll never wear them. I have kept some special ones tho.

I still have one of the very very few of the infamous 'Hamsters of Rock' shirts we made up on the Van Halen/Scorpions Monster of Rock tour in 87. Van Halen were definitely in their twilight, and the tour wasn't doing too well, even tho Scorps were popular, and Metallica were on the bill too... Me and our set guy Graham started to call the tour the 'Hamsters Of Rock' tour, and Graham and I redesigned and redrew the tour All Access laminates just like the regular ones to read 'Hamsters' instead of Monsters, with a giant hamster smashing a guitar into the stage, and instead of the word STAFF, we put STIFF. They looked just like the real thing, and all the Scorpions and crew wore them for weeks without anyone noticing Then word got out, and soon everyone was wearing them. The guys from VH enjoyed the joke, except their manager Ed, who we disliked anyway, and eventually they asked if they could make up a shirt that would commemorate the occasion. Consent was given, and the shirts were born. very few were made, and only those close to the tour got them.

We were very surprised not long after, when one appeared on the cover of Rolling Stone!

Name:  7ae801ff2983a88d03f8b64b02f61011.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  66.7 KB
    Oh, that farkin' RAWKS!

Reminds me of when I made up a bunch of NOBRA (not NORBA) stickers to hand out at the races. Good times.

Heather Heyer

Fart smeller
    Let’s see it.
    Here you go:

Front

Your coolest concert tee-20200201_155443.jpg

Back

Your coolest concert tee-20200201_155451.jpg

No side shots, sorry.

I do have another boot T from another tour.

Your coolest concert tee-20200201_155500.jpg

Saw them on tour when they had the black dude (DeWayne McNight) on guitar, too. He came out wearing a diaper. Wtf.

Heather Heyer

mtbr member
    ^^^ Now that is cool!

High Desert MTBer
    Dug thru my tour laminate files, and found the original pass and the fake! Guess which is which Amazingly, not a single security guard questioned anyone wearing these until almost the very end of the tour at LA Coliseum, when a lady security officer on the backstage gate pulled it up and wanted to stop me getting in. The fact I was on the tour bus with everyone else didn't cut it, and then I showed her that everyone, not just on our bus, had one on, and she finally saw the humor and didn't bother anyone again.

Your coolest concert tee-hamsters.jpg

On the T Shirt, we changed the rather benign gerbil/hamster for a slightly more macho rat... I preferred the original gerbster tho.
    It's all Here. Now.

Cycologist
    Geez, I'm trying to remember what shirts I used to own. I must have had a RHCP shirt as many times as I saw them (that front with the dude and the dog llooks really, really familiar, I think I might have had that), same for Bad Brains. And prior to that, maybe KISS (late '70s), AC/DC, Van Halen (early '80s). Oh, and a Ramones, which got destroyed at a Black Flag concert.

I was thinking how I haven't had any for many, many years and then remembered that I still have one, from 1991. Nevermind had just come out and was starting to get airplay but it was still too early for much of a crowd at the local club. Probably the most reproduced tour shirt in history? I'm sure if I wore it, everyone would assume it was a reproduction.

Your coolest concert tee-nirvana_front.jpg

Your coolest concert tee-nirvana_back.jpg

Dang, now I'm really wondering what I used to have.
    This post is a natural product. Variances in spelling & grammar should be appreciated as part of its character & beauty.

mtbr member
    Peter Frampton leaves the stage for the very last time. Will post tee later.

Cycologist
    Dug thru my tour laminate files, and found the original pass and the fake! Guess which is which Amazingly, not a single security guard questioned anyone wearing these until almost the very end of the tour at LA Coliseum, when a lady security officer on the backstage gate pulled it up and wanted to stop me getting in. The fact I was on the tour bus with everyone else didn't cut it, and then I showed her that everyone, not just on our bus, had one on, and she finally saw the humor and didn't bother anyone again.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hamsters.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	330.2 KB 
ID:	1309127

On the T Shirt, we changed the rather benign gerbil/hamster for a slightly more macho rat... I preferred the original gerbster tho.
    that is awesome, rockerc!
    This post is a natural product. Variances in spelling & grammar should be appreciated as part of its character & beauty.

Cycologist
    Peter Frampton leaves the stage for the very last time. Will post tee later.

Wow… and sad.

Quote Originally Posted by chazpat View Post
    Wow… and sad.
    I about cried reading that. Saw him at a small outdoor venue in Denver circa 2004. Loved his stuff but was embarrassed to admit it. Visiting family in Colorado and taking my girl from San Diego for the first time to Co. Both of us were more into the heavier rock music. My sister and brother in-law dragged us to the concert. What a pleasure it was, wouldn’t trade seeing that show for a few $$$$.

Some great shirts in here, wish I had some to contribute. Good stories RC.

mtbr member
    Lines on my face, while I laugh lest I cry
    Speed city dirt and gritty waving me goodbye
    So many people, my family of friends
    Trying so hard to make me smile until this heartache mends

No known cure
    A Tool shirt from the Lateralus tour in 01 i quit wearing years ago. I also have a 20 year old Slayer shirt thats never been worn
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
    Your coolest concert tee-img_0148.jpg
    Your coolest concert tee-img_0149.jpg
    They were kind of a big deal to me, since 1981.
    Don’t frail and blow if you’re going to Braille and Flow.

high pivot witchcraft
    My favourite concert tees are my Foo Fighters tees. Some of the best concerts I have been to.
    Last edited by mtnbkrmike; 02-02-2020 at 05:50 AM.
    2021 Norco Bigfoot VLT 1
    2020 Kona Unit

2019 Forbidden Druid
    2018 Kona Honzo ST 30th BDay SE
    2015 Kona Paddy Wagon Fixed Gear

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    because of various reasons this isn't the actual shirt (reasons are ..I'm too heavy to wear the shirt sadly at this point and it is packed away someplace as we don't have enough space in the condo here)..

blah blah.. I have this Nirvana Shirt I got at a show in 1990 at the UW Hub Ballroom .. at the show in the pit someone's bloody face came in contact with the back of the shirt and it looked like the Shroud of Turin with a bloody face print on the back.. happily I didn't get hepatitis c from this event... and my mother's laundry skills removed said stain (almost sadly??)

This was one of the best concerts I ever attended... and the first time I stage dove as my friend the size of a standard kitchen refrigerator decided it would be funny to pick me up and throw me on stage.. quite hilarious indeed.

Edit.. also I somewhat unwisely wore this shirt to work at my first "real" job at the Newspaper in Seattle on a few occasions.. happily nobody seemed to take offense and nobody said anything...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Cycologist
    ^ "Son, about this shirt you want me to wash…"

GONE
    Nov 2008
    I've got:

'92 Sabbath reunion concert tee
    Dio Sabbath/Alice Copper/Queensryche concert tee (Dio lost his battle not long afterward)

high pivot witchcraft
    The Nirvana shirts in posts 14 and 23 are frameable.

Those and my Foo tees resonate with me the most.

Besides occurring during some incredible periods of time in my life, I am always in awe of Dave Grohl’s overall musical mastery. Absolute beast of a drummer —> rhythm guitarist, vocalist and front man. Respect.
    2021 Norco Bigfoot VLT 1
    2020 Kona Unit

2019 Forbidden Druid

High Desert MTBer
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkrmike View Post
    The Nirvana shirts in posts 14 and 23 are frameable.

Those and my Foo tees resonate with me the most.

Besides occurring during some incredible periods of time in my life, I am always in awe of Dave Grohl’s overall musical mastery. Absolute beast of a drummer —> rhythm guitarist, vocalist and front man. Respect.
    Not only is he all you describe, but he is a real gentleman also. Genuinely good guy. One of the most impressive things I ever saw was during a Prince sound check in the LA Forum on one of the many days we were there, Dave got up and played drums on a version of Whole Lotta Love with P and a few of the band. Every hair on my body was standing up... He didn't bother coming back to play the actual show, that was plenty Prince was smiling across his face, not too common at a sound check!
    It's all Here. Now.

Shirts I had that I remember before the X donated them to Goodwill without me knowing.

Foreigner: Double Vision shirt. Made you dizzy just looking at it.
    Bad Company
    Triumph
    Creed: This one I still have somewhere.
    Nickelback, same concert, opened up for Creed in 1998 before Nickelback made it big. I bought both bands shirts.
    Rolling Stones
    Eddie Money
    REO Speedwagon
    Kansas
    Rush
    Foghat
    Cheap Trick
    Ted Nugent
    The Cult
    Nazareth

I know I had more. I’ll add if I remember.

mtbr member
    ^^^ The Cult! Most underrated band ever. Electric still one of my all time favorite albums.

^^^ The Cult! Most underrated band ever. Electric still one of my all time favorite albums.
    Yep, few even know about them. And one of my favorites as well. Amazing in concert. Is it just me or do Danzig and The Cult sound similar?

Cycologist
    Yep, few even know about them. And one of my favorites as well. Amazing in concert. Is it just me or do Danzig and The Cult sound similar?
    So only a few people bought the millions of albums they sold?

I saw them with a girlfriend in college.

Retro on Steroids
    I was a roadie for 42 years for the Sons of Champlin, and in that time I missed four performances. One was when Bill Graham threw me out of the Fillmore West, three others in 1974 when the truck engine blew while we were on tour. The other guys kept on with a rental, while I got the repairs done and drove 1100 miles in 24 hours to catch up.

I sold my Fillmore East shirt that only the bands got for $400. I sold one from the 1969 Atlanta International Pop Festival for $900. I didn't even go to the Atlanta festival, I got the shirt from my friend who was the roadie for Paul Butterfield blues Band.

So only a few people bought the millions of albums they sold?

I saw them with a girlfriend in college.
    Lol
    Well, it just seems like not many know about them when I bring them up. Maybe the same 15 people bought all those albums.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Like most of the old farts around here most of my favorite old concert T-shirts are long gone to dust. This thread, however, made me poke around in an old closet and lo and behold I found a stash of old moldering T's. Here are a couple of faves:

The latter particularly is associated with fun memories. Back around '80-81 the Dead played the Alladin in Vegas - back then a big casino on the Strip with a stage at either end. One stage had the Dead and the other Wayne Newton. The collision between the Deadheads and the Wayneheads in the casino in between was epic to say the least... Fear and Loathing on Tour, indeed.

EDIT: This thread made me look around and this shirt (albeit, in better condition) sells for the price of a decent used bike on Ebay. Wish I'd taken better care of it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Your coolest concert tee-tuna.jpg  

Your coolest concert tee-fear.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by wayold; 02-03-2020 at 12:30 PM.

No known cure
    I've seen The Cult six times. Not all their shows were quality. I once saw them at the Orange Pavillion in San Bernardino and was wondering WTF they were playing when I finally realized it was She Sells Sanctuary. We were front row and and at that small venue, Billy Duffy was a target for many looches spit on him.

I'm still a huge fan, and Electric is one of my favorite albums of all time. Love is in the disc changer.
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

All fat, all the time.
    Good stuff here!
    When we get old (like 70 not 50 lol) we plan to get all our concert shirts turned into a quilt.
    My anthrax ones are my favorites, but a signed supersuckers is up there too.

high pivot witchcraft
    Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post
    I've seen The Cult six times. Not all their shows were quality. I once saw them at the Orange Pavillion in San Bernardino and was wondering WTF they were playing when I finally realized it was She Sells Sanctuary. We were front row and and at that small venue, Billy Duffy was a target for many looches spit on him.

I'm still a huge fan, and Electric is one of my favorite albums of all time. Love is in the disc changer.
    I saw The Cult back in 2002 when they backed up Aerosmith. No offence intended, but I was pretty disappointed. Their show seemed really uninspired to me. I get that they were the back up and that as such, the equipment and gear they had access to was much more limited than Aerosmith, but shit. They didn’t seem to really care about much, other than blasting through a quick set and getting off the stage. I was so stoked to see them. Much more than Aerosmith. I was in a suite with 15 other people and got them super stoked about The Cult too. We were all very underwhelmed. Aerosmith on the other hand, totally killed it.

Maybe it was just an off night for them, for whatever reason.
    2021 Norco Bigfoot VLT 1
    2020 Kona Unit

2019 Forbidden Druid

Retro on Steroids
    Found the old photos, so I'll post again.

Some of you may know that from 1968 until 2010 I was the head roadie for the Sons of Champlin. I worked on hundreds of shows, but I didn't always keep the shirts. Here are a few that I did keep.

Sold this one from 1969 for $700. Probably one of the first concert tees ever printed. I didn't even work on this show. I found the shirt in a truck that belonged to a friend who was the Paul Butterfield Blues Band roadie. My friend said I could have it. It was printed on such a cheap shirt that I never wore it, which was probably why it was so rare.

Your coolest concert tee-atlanta_international.jpg

This was a souvenir shirt given to the bands who played at the Fillmore East, not for sale in the lobby. I got $400 for it.

Your coolest concert tee-fillmore.jpg

Ran into the Ozark Mountain Daredevils at the Caribou Ranch recording studio in Colorado. I traded shirts with one of the roadies.

Your coolest concert tee-daredevils.jpg

Got my front row tickets to the Oakland A's from the drummer for Huey Lewis and the News, so i wore this old tour shirt to the game. Bonus was that Stacy Samuels, AKA "Banjo Man" from A's and 49er games is a good friend, and sat with us. (Smiling young man is Joe Breeze's son Tommy.)

This shirt is actually signed by all the band members, but I wear it and wash it anyway.

Your coolest concert tee-hln.jpg

On tour in 1974 with Leon Russell, we did a show at the Orange Bowl in Miami.

Your coolest concert tee-holiday_jam1.jpg

Back of the same shirt, showing the lineup, Leon Russell, The Band, The Eagles, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Sons of Champlin and an all-woman band Isis.

Your coolest concert tee-holiday_jam2.jpg

Sons of Champlin headlining over Journey and Pablo Cruise.

Your coolest concert tee-kj_productions.jpg

Rick Griffin art on the Orange County Jam shirt.

Your coolest concert tee-orange_county_jam.jpg

Phil Lesh had a short lived jam band with the guitarist from Sons of Champlin Terry Haggerty, keyboard John Allair and drummer Steve Mitchell. I handled the gear for the four or five performances of "Tooloos Ta Truck" and all I got was this t-shirt.

Your coolest concert tee-tooloos.jpg

Somebody made this one of a kind hand drawn shirt for me, but the image was so disturbing that I never wore it.

Your coolest concert tee-road_crew.jpg

My roommate was a cartoonist who would draw anything I wanted on a t-shirt.

Your coolest concert tee-boogie.jpg

roadie.jpg

mtbr member
    Geez, I'm trying to remember what shirts I used to own. I must have had a RHCP shirt as many times as I saw them (that front with the dude and the dog llooks really, really familiar, I think I might have had that), same for Bad Brains. And prior to that, maybe KISS (late '70s), AC/DC, Van Halen (early '80s). Oh, and a Ramones, which got destroyed at a Black Flag concert.

I was thinking how I haven't had any for many, many years and then remembered that I still have one, from 1991. Nevermind had just come out and was starting to get airplay but it was still too early for much of a crowd at the local club. Probably the most reproduced tour shirt in history? I'm sure if I wore it, everyone would assume it was a reproduction.

Name:	Nirvana_Front.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	48.5 KB 
ID:	1309131

Name:	Nirvana_Back.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	60.5 KB 
ID:	1309133

Dang, now I'm really wondering what I used to have.
    One of then bands I wish I had the opportunity to see....how was it?
    I've been on pause, but I'm shaking off the rust...

mtbr member
    The only one, of many, I have left is of the 1986 Motley Crue Theater of Pain tour....
    I've been on pause, but I'm shaking off the rust...

Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkrmike View Post
    I saw The Cult back in 2002 when they backed up Aerosmith. No offence intended, but I was pretty disappointed. Their show seemed really uninspired to me. I get that they were the back up and that as such, the equipment and gear they had access to was much more limited than Aerosmith, but shit. They didn’t seem to really care about much, other than blasting through a quick set and getting off the stage. I was so stoked to see them. Much more than Aerosmith. I was in a suite with 15 other people and got them super stoked about The Cult too. We were all very underwhelmed. Aerosmith on the other hand, totally killed it.

Maybe it was just an off night for them, for whatever reason.
    After these comments I got to thinking when exactly it was when I saw The Cult. The one and only time I saw them was early on in their career, which explains why they rocked it that night. They opened up for Billy Idol at The San Diego Sports Arena in 1987. I remember The Cults performance way more than I do Billy Idols performance. I was and still am more of a fan of The Cult.

The concert I was at: https://www.concertarchives.org/concerts/billy-idol--16

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Cult

Fart smeller
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark View Post
    Good stuff here!
    When we get old (like 70 not 50 lol) we plan to get all our concert shirts turned into a quilt.
    My anthrax ones are my favorites, but a signed supersuckers is up there too.
    Hey, I have a live Supersuckers disc- looks like it was one that was recorded at the gig then given away at the door as people left. If you want it, I'd be glad to send it along. PM me.

Sound quality is pretty meh.

Songs are:

Mudhead
    Paid
    Roadworn & Weary
    Creepy Jackalope Eye
    Then I'm Gone
    Breaking Honeys Heart
    Rock n Roll Records
    Rock Your Ass
    Evil Powers Of Rock n Roll
    Dirt Road, Dead Ends & Dust

Your coolest concert tee-20200203_131146.jpg

Heather Heyer

Fart smeller
    Quote Originally Posted by Repack Rider View Post
    Found the old photos, so I'll post again.

Some of you may know that from 1968 until 2010 I was the head roadie for the Sons of Champlin. I worked on hundreds of shows, but I didn't always keep the shirts. Here are a few that I did keep.

Sold this one from 1969 for $700. Probably one of the first concert tees ever printed. I didn't even work on this show. I found the shirt in a truck that belonged to a friend who was the Paul Butterfield Blues Band roadie. My friend said I could have it. It was printed on such a cheap shirt that I never wore it, which was probably why it was so rare.

Name:	atlanta_international.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	87.1 KB 
ID:	1309399

This was a souvenir shirt given to the bands who played at the Fillmore East, not for sale in the lobby. I got $400 for it.

Name:	fillmore.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	126.1 KB 
ID:	1309417

Ran into the Ozark Mountain Daredevils at the Caribou Ranch recording studio in Colorado. I traded shirts with one of the roadies.

Name:	daredevils.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	65.9 KB 
ID:	1309401

Got my front row tickets to the Oakland A's from the drummer for Huey Lewis and the News, so i wore this old tour shirt to the game. Bonus was that Stacy Samuels, AKA "Banjo Man" from A's and 49er games is a good friend, and sat with us. (Smiling young man is Joe Breeze's son Tommy.)

This shirt is actually signed by all the band members, but I wear it and wash it anyway.

Name:	hln.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	90.6 KB 
ID:	1309403

On tour in 1974 with Leon Russell, we did a show at the Orange Bowl in Miami.

Name:	holiday_jam1.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	85.6 KB 
ID:	1309405

Back of the same shirt, showing the lineup, Leon Russell, The Band, The Eagles, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Sons of Champlin and an all-woman band Isis.

Name:	holiday_jam2.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	59.2 KB 
ID:	1309407

Sons of Champlin headlining over Journey and Pablo Cruise.

Name:	kj_productions.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	98.2 KB 
ID:	1309409

Rick Griffin art on the Orange County Jam shirt.

Name:	orange_county_jam.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	74.1 KB 
ID:	1309411

Phil Lesh had a short lived jam band with the guitarist from Sons of Champlin Terry Haggerty, keyboard John Allair and drummer Steve Mitchell. I handled the gear for the four or five performances of "Tooloos Ta Truck" and all I got was this t-shirt.

Name:	tooloos.jpg 
Size:	97.6 KB 
ID:	1309415

Somebody made this one of a kind hand drawn shirt for me, but the image was so disturbing that I never wore it.

Name:	road_crew.jpg 
Size:	102.4 KB 
ID:	1309413

My roommate was a cartoonist who would draw anything I wanted on a t-shirt.

Name:	boogie.jpg 
Size:	202.1 KB 
ID:	1309397

roadie.jpg
    Wow. Nice memories. Kudos.

Heather Heyer

Wow. Nice memories. Kudos.
    You nailed it. I love the memories that flood back on threads like this. Repack & Rocker have stories yet to tell.

mtbr member
    i have some of my favs folded and framed. like my pink Floyd Division Bell shirt. get a pic when I am home.
    Dont make me go all Jonathan Winters on this gas station.

Fart smeller
    Lines on my face, while I laugh lest I cry
    Speed city dirt and gritty waving me goodbye
    So many people, my family of friends
    Trying so hard to make me smile until this heartache mends

He'll be back. He can still sing, right?

Heather Heyer

A waste of time it is is
    You nailed it. I love the memories that flood back on threads like this. Repack & Rocker have stories yet to tell.
    Which also has me asking if Repack and Rocker ever crossed paths on the same tours or no each other outside of this forum?

mtbr member
    They always say that shit, ‘The Last Tour Ever, We Promise!’ Then next year......

mtbr member
    Man, my shirts sure look wrinkled in these photos!

Cycologist
    Quote Originally Posted by Crankout View Post
    One of then bands I wish I had the opportunity to see....how was it?
    Well, that was almost thirty years ago but I think it was a great show! I think we'd had Nevermind around the house a few weeks but we were very familiar with Bleach. About all I remember at this point was that by the end of the set, there weren't but a handful of people around as I'm pretty sure it was a week night and this was one of those places where the headliner didn't take the stage until after 1:00AM. I was standing in the very front when Kurt jumped into his amps.

Ok, after writing the above I did some googling; amazing what you can find on the internet:

Name:  Screen Shot 2020-02-04 at 11.09.16 PM.png
Views: 46
Size:  37.9 KB

Nevermind was released Sept 24th so this was right at two weeks later. Oct 6th was a Sunday. I mentioned the Masquerade in a post a couple of weeks ago. The club moved out awhile back and it is being redeveloped as trendy office space and they managed to collapse one of the exterior walls. It was originally an excelsior (used for packing before foam, etc) mill.

And… here is a link to the concert! Shot from the side of the stage in a dark club with '90s video equipment but the sound must be straight off the board.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUubcCQkWvM

Looks like more people were still there at the end than I was remembering but I'm probably in some of those crowd shots! And Kurt didn't actually jump into his amps, you'll have to watch to see what went down.

Love the Internet for this stuff. I Googled a show or two wondering when I saw a certain band going back to the 70’s. Bam, it’s all on the web.

be1
    the beat goes on
    he's a good RnR singer for sure. but about 75+% of his show is guitar gymnastics. not sure he would be satisfied just singing. surely he can do some studio work where he can take his time.
    You just can't beat the person who never gives up. - B.Ruth

Cycologist
    Well, now I'm wondering if I was thinking of a concert the year before, 05/06/90 at the same venue. Found a video and Kurt does jump into his amp at the end. And I had thought I remembered that Krist had a shaven head, I was surprised at his full head of hair in the '91 video but then I thought maybe I'd just seen pictures of him with no hair and had been surprised by the long hair at the show. Hey, this was 30 years ago! Maybe I was at both shows? The house we were living in was a 5 minute drive away.

Well, now I'm wondering if I was thinking of a concert the year before, 05/06/90 at the same venue. Found a video and Kurt does jump into his amp at the end. And I had thought I remembered that Krist had a shaven head, I was surprised at his full head of hair in the '91 video but then I thought maybe I'd just seen pictures of him with no hair and had been surprised by the long hair at the show. Hey, this was 30 years ago! Maybe I was at both shows? The house we were living in was a 5 minute drive away.

Memories tend to be blurry from some of these events and length of time looking back.

High Desert MTBer
    Quote Originally Posted by emu26 View Post
    Which also has me asking if Repack and Rocker ever crossed paths on the same tours or no each other outside of this forum?
    Not to my knowledge, I never did any shows with the Sons of C. I didn't start touring in the US until the mid 70s. We may have been at the same show and not known it of course!
    It's all Here. Now.

Super Moderator SuperModerator
    If photo upload wasn't junk then I'd post up a picture of the "Fudge Packing" Tee I got on 29 Nov 1991, Calton Studios, Edinburgh, Scotland, a month after Nevermind was released and before Teen Spirit really blew things up.

It used to be black and have some shape but it's been in my closet for 20+ years now. My wife knows to burn me in it when I die.

Instead here's a picture of the show, the back of my head is in it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Your coolest concert tee-nirvana.jpg  

Fart smeller
    I was a bit too young for this concert, but it is my favorite concert tee.

I've never really listened to the Dead, but the other day, I was in our Friends Of The Library and saw a 2-DVD set of their Fare Thee Well tour, shot in Chicago at Soldier Field, on July 5th, 2015. I shrugged and said, why not, 3 bucks? But man, is it a wonderful tribute concert to the band. Beautifully shot, and spiced up with interesting interludes (ha!), it's actually something I think I'll be playing a lot.

I'm not understanding Lesh's bass playing- does he ever hit a solid low note?

Your coolest concert tee-g-dead.jpg

Heather Heyer

mtbr member
    I've never really listened to the Dead, but the other day, I was in our Friends Of The Library and saw a 2-DVD set of their Fare Thee Well tour, shot in Chicago at Soldier Field, on July 5th, 2015. I shrugged and said, why not, 3 bucks? But man, is it a wonderful tribute concert to the band. Beautifully shot, and spiced up with interesting interludes (ha!), it's actually something I think I'll be playing a lot.

I'm not understanding Lesh's bass playing- does he ever hit a solid low note?

Get this book.

https://www.amazon.com/Complete-Anno.../dp/1501123327

Fart smeller
    Yeah, no, I'm good, thanks. I don't want that much info on the band.

But you may like the latest issue of Relix mag- it's got pics by Bob Minkin, plus an article on Robert Hunter (Jan/Feb). I guess in the Dec. issue they had a tribute to him or the Dead or both.

Dec: https://relixmarketplace.com/product...19-relix-issue

https://relixmarketplace.com/collect...e-subscription

And: https://relix.com/articles/detail/th...r-at-wetlands/

Heather Heyer

mtbr member
    Yeah, no, I'm good, thanks. I don't want that much info on the band.

But you may like the latest issue of Relix mag- it's got pics by Bob Minkin, plus an article on Robert Hunter (Jan/Feb). I guess in the Dec. issue they had a tribute to him or the Dead or both.

Dec: https://relixmarketplace.com/product...19-relix-issue

https://relixmarketplace.com/collect...e-subscription

And: https://relix.com/articles/detail/th...r-at-wetlands/
    Cool thanks!

That book isn’t about the band, it’s the meanings behind Robert Hunters poetry and lyrics. Pretty mind bending.

Super Moderator SuperModerator
    Your coolest concert tee-nirvanat.jpg

That should do it !!

High Desert MTBer
    Cool thanks!

That book isn’t about the band, it’s the meanings behind Robert Hunters poetry and lyrics. Pretty mind bending.
    Hunter was a friend of the guitar player with a band I was with in the 70s, and on our very first visit to SF, we met up with him at our motel before the gig. He turned us on first to some weed he had, which left us all drooling and smiling, then he gave us some of his special blotting paper, which left us drooling more and smiling even huger... then we had to go do the show... it was "interesting"... never got to his lyrics or poetry, but I could see where they came from
    It's all Here. Now.

High Desert MTBer
    Was just going thru my daughter's F'bok feed, and found where at least one of my old tees went! This is one of my crew shirts from the Moscow Music peace festival in '89... (aka Doc McGhee's get out of jail free concert). Seems my daughter repurposed this one!
    A little back story on this, the various crews there had personalized shirts, inasmuch as they said "Audio" or "Lighting". But the Video crews' all said "VIDIOT" on the back. Video was an embryonic upstart at that time

Your coolest concert tee-560501_469614219773214_226689192_n.jpg
    It's all Here. Now.

mtbr member
    Looking back on it I wish I'd bought more concert shirts over the years. This is probably one of my favourites, mainly because it was such a unique gig. Fresh off the back of selling out Wembley Stadium (80k people) two nights in a row, the Foo's came down here to play a charity gig to benefit the Christchurch earthquake recovery at the Auckland Town Hall, which holds about 3000 people. That much energy packed into such an intimate venue was insane!

Your coolest concert tee-ff1.jpg

mtbr member
    Was just going thru my daughter's F'bok feed, and found where at least one of my old tees went! This is one of my crew shirts from the Moscow Music peace festival in '89... (aka Doc McGhee's get out of jail free concert). Seems my daughter repurposed this one!
    A little back story on this, the various crews there had personalized shirts, inasmuch as they said "Audio" or "Lighting". But the Video crews' all said "VIDIOT" on the back. Video was an embryonic upstart at that time

Name:	560501_469614219773214_226689192_n.jpg 
Views:	6 
ID:	1312601
    We have a winner!

Cycologist

Name:	560501_469614219773214_226689192_n.jpg 
Views:	6 
ID:	1312601
    A studded collar would have been more appropriate.

Retro on Steroids
    I know a woman who makes quilts out of t-shirt logos.

High Desert MTBer
    Quote Originally Posted by Repack Rider View Post
    I know a woman who makes quilts out of t-shirt logos.
    When I was moving from the UK to the US 15 years ago, I donated a lot of the shirts I had to a friends' 15 year old son to help soundproof the walls of his rehearsal space where he played his drums. He has a giant quilt on the walls there! I hope your friend washes them well before turning them into the quilts!
    It's all Here. Now.