Are you obese?- Mtbr.com

Thread: Are you obese?

mtbr member

Are you obese?

The body mass index says that I am obese with a BMI scale of 31. Its funny though because I don't really feel obese. Maybe I don't look obese because I'm taller and the fat distributes more evenly. The Body Mass Index also says that I need to lose 40 more pounds. But, I feel like I would partially disappear if I lost that much weight. Actually, I haven't been as skinny as the Body Mass Index says that I should be since my High School days.

https://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/edu...MI/bmicalc.htm

Nothing seems to kill me
    I always fall into the overweight category on BMI scale. I run 180-185 and about 5'10". If I would stop drinking beer I could probably get down to 175. But below that, I think I might blow away with a gust of wind. I definitely do not feel overweight.
    Sweet Jesus don't let the judge release me, what if she's a Zombie or a Dracula and tries to f&*king eat me.

mtbr member
    Nope, but at 6"4 and 206, I am "overweight."

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    I bounce between 24.6 and 25.4 on the BMI chart, so right at the high limit of normal, to low limit of overweight. I would like to lose a few pounds, which would keep me under a 25 BMI, but I don't feel like giving up the beer and steak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Just barely normal weight according to that bmi
    Round and round we go

banned
    May 2017
    29.3 on that scale, but I feel obese!

All fat, all the time.
    21.... Yay, I'm "normal".

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    19.9 for me. I've always been skinny.

mtbr member
    A skinny 18.9
    All I am saying is give pizza chants

mtbr member
    BMI means absolutely nothing if your fit or maybe "normal" You could be abese with <6% body fat using bmi
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post
    BMI means absolutely nothing if your fit or maybe "normal" You could be abese with <6% body fat using bmi
    If it makes you feel better
    Round and round we go

Hi There!
    I'm still slightly overweight according to that...and I agree. However, I'm down 2% since a few months ago when I decided to cut as much sugar out of my diet as I could. Happy.
    NTFTC

mtbr member
    Excellent thread, love most of the fairly honest responses. Anyone care to now go to the Clydes forum and start the same thread and see the reactions?

My opinion on most BMI is that if you're a very active/fit person, then you will probably look "skinny" if you hit the middle of the index for "normal" and need to be on the high side of "normal" to not look so. Most people however aren't even close to being fit or having less than 20% body fat though, and that's really why the BMI was designed and is a damn accurate gauge of where the avg Joe stands in terms of their weight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

Cycologist
    21. Thank you mountain biking and trail running.
    This post is a natural product. Variances in spelling & grammar should be appreciated as part of its character & beauty.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by theMeat View Post
    If it makes you feel better
    I feel indifferent to bmi. 27.2 & probably right around 9.5% bodyfat (weight lifter for about 30 years now). By the end of a August I'm usually around 6-7% bodyfat then will syeadily go up through winter. Muscle mass is the #1 indicator of mortality.

mtbr member
    Isn't the BMI thing considered error-wrought nowadays?
    The only important thing these days, is rhythm and melody. Rhythm...and melody.

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    23.4. Not bad I guess for my age. I've always been thin, but when I was running a lot, I was at 11% body fat and I have to say, that's the best I've ever felt in my life. That was in 1992 @30 years old.

I'm trying to ride two days per week, but would prefer to get out four days a week. Damn work!
    Goya! It's got what plants crave. It's got electrolytes. Livin in an Idiocracy.

All fat, all the time.
    I ride bikes because it's fun, and bonus, I can drink beer and eat ice cream whenever I want.
    The healthy part of it is just an extra I suppose lol.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crankout View Post
    Isn't the BMI thing considered error-wrought nowadays?
    I don't think it is (but, i"m probably wrong). I think it's that it is misapplied. It was designed to measure groups of populations: i.e people in in the Milwaukee/Chicago area are generally fatter (have a high BMI), while people in Boulder/Denver area are generally skinnier (lower BMI). It's not meant for Chicago Joe Ironman or Bronco-nacho fan Steve to determine their individual healthiness.

But, again: I'm prolly wrong.

mtbr member
    Hey - I had an interesting thought on my ride into work this morning. If I'm obese, that means that my body's gas tank is always full. No need to stop and get junk food at 7-11 during my bike commute. See, there's a positive side to everything!

Meatbomb
    6'4" 220# = 26.8. I could afford to lose about 10#.

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by BCTJ View Post
    Hey - I had an interesting thought on my ride into work this morning. If I'm obese, that means that my body's gas tank is always full. No need to stop and get junk food at 7-11 during my bike commute. See, there's a positive side to everything!
    Actually, skinnier people have more muscle glycogen in their legs.

Pro XC racer, BMI of 23.8.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Nurse here. BMI is a very outdated way to see your overall health and it annoys me that the US Healthcare system still uses it. Body fat % and muscle % on the other hand is accurate. Lots of local gyms will have scheduled days to get measured. Go to one! I have a friend who pays more for health Insurance because his BMI says he is overweight, when in reality he is built like a spartan. Muscle weighs more than fat!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LizInTheSun View Post
    Nurse here. BMI is a very outdated way to see your overall health and it annoys me that the US Healthcare system still uses it. Body fat % and muscle % on the other hand is accurate. Lots of local gyms will have scheduled days to get measured. Go to one! I have a friend who pays more for health Insurance because his BMI says he is overweight, when in reality he is built like a spartan. Muscle weighs more than fat!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
    Totally agree
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    Totally agree
    You know her friend?
    The only important thing these days, is rhythm and melody. Rhythm...and melody.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    BMI tells me I'm underweight.

mtbr member
    I've been overweight for years, about one to two stone I think. All of it around my middle. On the road I don't feel it but I do when riding off road where more body English is required.

Been fatter though so quietly optimistic about loosing poundage, if not exactly betting on it.

Weakened Warrior
    With a BMI of 25 I'm right on the border, so I may be overweight depending on how recently I ate, went to the bathroom, or got a haircut.

BMI was meant for population studies and not assessing individual health. Failing to distinguish between muscle mass and fat mass seems like a major shortcoming. Years ago I would stop exercising when we went on vacation, and I would typically lose 5-8 lb. Nowadays my vacations are planned with the intent to spent most of my time exercising (i.e. riding).

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    I cant stand the BMI crap. Ive seen female friends that were fit get put into mass depression because of having yearly wellness check says shes obese because of her muscle mass. Which wasnt anything near body building. The people that are "ideal BMI" are almost sickly skinny.

I got put in the second highest tier because of my BMI however all other tests they flat out said j was one of the healthiest people in the company. But rates were determined by BMI (and i have a gut). I expected the "obese" rating but that was rediculous. Bone structure and just genetic make up id have to be on my death bed to loose more than another 10-15lbs.

Had issues with MEPS processing cause of it too but they had an actual secondary check that brought me into range actually measuring body fat. And i was ripped then (just out of highschool).

BMI is the most most rediculous thing ever for judging a personals health risks. Sad that every reputable medical study pretty much planet wide says its wrong and that more often than not those with some body fat are healthier and live longer than sticks by far.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Life on a bike doesn't begin till the sun goes down.

NDD
    mtbr member
    At 5'10" and 165 lbs I don't feel close to overweight, but apparently I am? I don't know. I guess I'd like to lose a few pounds, but wouldn't feel bad at all about staying the same way and converting some of my grad school pudge to muscle.

Unfortunately having a puppy right now is keeping me out of the gym. LOL! Too bad
    dang

western NC
    Like others, I don't go by BMI as it's a false method. But, after quitting smoking in 2012, I gained over 50lbs and was around 235lbs. Used to bitch because I couldn't "fill out". Then I couldn't stop gaining weight. I made some small dietary changes in 2013 and started walking and got down to about 225 or so. Then got back into riding in 2014, and got down to 210-215lbs, but hit a plateau at about 205lbs and just couldn't lose anymore, even riding three or four days a week. I made some more diet changes beginning of this year, and I've dropped 23lbs more. So I'm now 6'2" and 182lbs, and feel better than I ever have.

Meatbomb
    Are you a Turtle?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HPIguy View Post
    Like others, I don't go by BMI as it's a false method. But, after quitting smoking in 2012, I gained over 50lbs and was around 235lbs. Used to bitch because I couldn't "fill out". Then I couldn't stop gaining weight. I made some small dietary changes in 2013 and started walking and got down to about 225 or so. Then got back into riding in 2014, and got down to 210-215lbs, but hit a plateau at about 205lbs and just couldn't lose anymore, even riding three or four days a week. I made some more diet changes beginning of this year, and I've dropped 23lbs more. So I'm now 6'2" and 182lbs, and feel better than I ever have.
    Nice work!
    Buy a losi and feel even better!

Somersault Expert
    Mar 2014
    5'7" 185, BMI 29. Overweight, almost obese.

western NC
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    Are you a Turtle?
    Me?

Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post
    Nice work!
    Buy a losi and feel even better!
    Thanks, haven't touched anything RC in a while now actually. Need to dust off some of the toys, maybe I'll go fly this weekend.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NDD View Post
    At 5'10" and 165 lbs I don't feel close to overweight, but apparently I am? I don't know. I guess I'd like to lose a few pounds, but wouldn't feel bad at all about staying the same way and converting some of my grad school pudge to muscle.

Unfortunately having a puppy right now is keeping me out of the gym. LOL! Too bad
    Run with your puppy!!!
    All I am saying is give pizza chants

Hi There!
    Quote Originally Posted by NDD View Post

You are not overweight.
    NTFTC

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pig View Post
    I've been overweight for years, about one to two stone I think. All of it around my middle. On the road I don't feel it but I do when riding off road where more body English is required.

Been fatter though so quietly optimistic about loosing poundage, if not exactly betting on it.
    Stop eating stones? Start there.

mtbr member
    Ran the rose garden today and talked with a nurse friend. There is always exceptions to the rules but she thinks the BMI is a pretty good indicator for the most part and I agree. 5 foot 9 inch oldish "welterweight" here.
    Suicide by single speed. Work in progress.

Pro Crastinator
    that calculator assumes you have no muscle mass. how do you calculate it otherwise?

mtbr member
    So....to follow up - I've made a few changes in order to shed my obesity. One change is to stop drinking soda at work. Another change is to only eat 3 meals a day - no more snacking. When I focus in on it, I start to see what I was doing wrong with regards to diet. Since I work at an (incredibly boring) sedentary job, its diet death to drink soda here. It must be the equivalent of pumping sugar into my veins. I used to feel like I needed that sugar boost to get me going in the morning, but, I think I'm starting to get used to water. Regarding snacking, I realize that I was actually eating 4 to 5 meals a day. Breakfast, Lunch, Afternoon Lunch, Dinner, Late Night Dinner. Really not good. Now, I try to limit myself to only 3 meals a day. Today, I was so tempted to get some M and M's for Afternoon Lunch, but, I did not.

I've only been dieting for about a month, but, people have already told me that they've started to notice changes in my face and appearance. So far so good. (I do miss the soda sugar rush though).

mtbr member
    I don't need to take a test to tell me I'm fat

mtbr member
    Good for you Man.
    Cutting out the soda and any straigh sugar snacks can definitely help.
    3 meals a day instead of 5 or 6 usually, after a few weeks or months, makes your body start to store fat. Keep up the frequent meals, just make them smaller.
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    Agreed, sodas are the worst, if you want a little boost in the morning, try tea or coffee with minimal to no sugar. Also if you want to help burn calories all day, get in a nice little 45 minute workout first thing in the morning and your metabolism will be reving higher all day.

Also agree about the 5 meals a day over 3, just make them smaller and healthier so you're eating the same amount over the day, just not a large amount at any given time, this way your body doesn't have the chance to have any extra to store from a meal/snack.

Good for you Man.
    Cutting out the soda and any straigh sugar snacks can definitely help.
    3 meals a day instead of 5 or 6 usually, after a few weeks or months, makes your body start to store fat. Keep up the frequent meals, just make them smaller.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

Pipe Dreamer
    Quote Originally Posted by azimiut View Post
    I don't need to take a test to tell me I'm fat
    Same here!

I've just started cutting the carbs out of my diet. I can see that it's not going to be easy, but I think it'll be the way to go. I've already cut the sodas and switched to water, and lots of it! I'll wait to give up my late night ice cream after everything else falls into place, lol!
    This space intentionally left blank. We apologise for any inconvenience.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cornfield View Post
    Same here!

I've just started cutting the carbs out of my diet. I can see that it's not going to be easy, but I think it'll be the way to go. I've already cut the sodas and switched to water, and lots of it! I'll wait to give up my late night ice cream after everything else falls into place, lol!
    Cutting out carbs not a good idea, especially for someone who exercises. Cutting Down on carbs, depending on how much you eat, could be fine. Cutting out simple carbs aye okay.
    Cycling carbs is a good trick. Either carbs am, no carbs pm, or the other way round. Or carbs for a couple of days, than no carbs for a couple.
    Round and round we go

Pipe Dreamer
    Cutting out carbs not a good idea, especially for someone who exercises. Cutting out simple carbs is good, and cutting down on carbs in general could be ok.
    Cycling carbs is a good trick. Either carbs am, no carbs pm, or the other way round. Or carbs for a couple of days, than no carbs for a couple.
    I need to do some research to find out what I should and shouldn't be cutting. Right now it's just bread, tortillas and such. I'm still eating rice, beans, potatoes, corn, etc...

I need to pm Heyyall!

mtbr member
    Brown rice instead of white. Yams/ sweet potatoes instead of regular potatoes.

The more complex the carb, the longer it lasts, the slower it breaks down into sugar, and the better it is for you.
    Round and round we go

Straight out tha traila
    Quote Originally Posted by HPIguy View Post
    This sounds like me! I smoked 2 packs a day for over 20 years and quit about 2 1/2 years ago. I quickly gained about 40 lbs and I started riding mtb to stop the fatty! I've lost about 20 of it so far, but I can't give up the awesome beer, so I figure this is how I am now. I ride almost every day, commuting to work too. Don't want to take that bmi test would probably just make me sad.
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    some weird crazed desert dweller.

Pipe Dreamer
    Similar situation here, gained gradually and just recently went from L to XL. I can't afford a new wardrobe! lol

Maybe it's because food tastes so much better?

western NC
    Quote Originally Posted by EugeneTheJeep View Post
    This sounds like me! I smoked 2 packs a day for over 20 years and quit about 2 1/2 years ago. I quickly gained about 40 lbs and I started riding mtb to stop the fatty! I've lost about 20 of it so far, but I can't give up the awesome beer, so I figure this is how I am now. I ride almost every day, commuting to work too. Don't want to take that bmi test would probably just make me sad.

I didn't give up beer, but I did cut back, and change the beers I drink regularly. I also made some pretty big changes to my diet, mainly not eating junk food for breakfast. Good job, stick with it!

Quote Originally Posted by Cornfield View Post
    Similar situation here, gained gradually and just recently went from L to XL. I can't afford a new wardrobe! lol

Maybe it's because food tastes so much better?
    I was at that point to Corn, went from 185lbs to 235-240ish in about six months. Food tasting right again for the first time in two decades was a big part of it. As well as the fact that smoking is an oral based habit, as is eating, so I think you replace one with the other.

mtbr member
    I've been "obese" according to the BMI chart for most of my adult life. It assumes you have zero muscle mass, and means nothing.
    When I joined the Army at 19, they laughingly informed me during processing that I was 43lbs overweight, because I was 196lbs(while being small boned and a hair under 5'7"). Needed a belt with 29" jeans at the time...
    I'm merely "overweight" now, in the upper 170s, but my BMI was 32-33 when I was either lifting or eating everything in sight 6 or 7yrs ago.
    Supa-fatty!
    Are you obese?-20170109_204525.jpg
    Stupid uploader

western NC
    ^^Yep, and just further proof it's based on wackadoodle math as well; I'm 6'2", and my normal BMI range is from 145lbs to 194lbs. At 145lbs at my height you'd look like a holocaust victim.