Life Is Short

Are you also obsessed with your BP?

3 weeks ago I went in to CVS and purchased a $50
    Blood Pressure monitor model BP3MUi. Not as accurate as one at
    a doctor's office (those are $1,000) but after 2-3 checks you average out
    your SYS, DIA and PUL.

I even bring it to work! I use it in bed after exercising, after my 5 mile run,
    after biking, jogs, stairmasters, etc.

It all started when I went to a blood pressure site on the web and saw on the triangle
    that had LOW NORMAL---for kids and athletes, so of course that's what
    I wanted to average. Therefore I've been working out a lot and eating veggies,
    not to mention to lower my blood sugar. Its averages 109-123 now down from an average
    of 135 I have to get it down further!!!!

Anyone else carry one around?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Are you also obsessed with your BP?-snapz-pro-xitem-item001.jpg  

Last edited by fatcat; 06-21-2012 at 07:35 PM.

mtbr member
    I have high blood pressure and heart problems in my family and i am not that obsessed. I know i should be but, it just slips my mind . I know bad excuse
    A person who never made a mistake,
    never tried anything new..... Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    Um, no
    You know that stressing over anything including bp can make it higher.
    Read this study a few years ago were they took all different types of peoples bp while doing everything from eating, walking, cycling, swimming, sleeping, pooing, showering, etc. Time and time again people with dogs had lower bp in general, and it was always lowest while they were petting them.
    Have a dog? give it a try and let us know.
    Round and round we go

STEEL IS REAL
    Nov 2008
    I've got a 'lil BP machine here at home. I generally run in the "high normal" range much of the time except right after I get out of bed when I am fully rested. It's 115-120 then. My diastolic range bounces around between 70-85. I take a low dose BP med even though I would probably be OK w/o it. Had to shop around by trial and error to find a BP med that didn't cause side effects, though.

I tested my BP it a lot when I first got it. Kinda like a new toy, you play with it a lot. But then after I memorized my averages, I stopped using it except for the rare occassion which gives me the same results as always.

I still HATE, did I say HATE!?, yes I did... the sensation of your arm throbbing when the test is almost over. God, I cannot stand that!
    life is... "All About Bikes"...

injured reserve list
    No, but CVS has great deals on Keystone Light 30 packs....hehehe
    You're not entitled to anything until you work hard and earn it. CMQ

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I've never had high blood pressure, so
    no I don't worry. I do weight myself every
    day though.

Best, John

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I have HBP. Runs in my family, I ride everyday and I am vegetarian and have gotten off caffeine, I try to stay low stress as much as possible... but it is still high. I take 5mg of Amlodipine everyday.

My doctor basically said I was doing everything right, this I just the way it is, and I most likely won't lower it without medication. I can probably afford to lose 15 lbs. but now sure how much that would help since I'm not fat.
    Last edited by Dion; 06-22-2012 at 08:32 AM.

STEEL IS REAL
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post
    I have HBP. Runs in my family, I ride everyday and I am vegetarian and have gotten off caffeine, I try to stay low stress as much as possible... but it is still high. I take 5mg of Amlodipine everyday.

My doctor basically said I was doing everything right, this I just the way it is, and I most likely won't lower it without medication. I can probably afford to lose 15 lbs. but now sure how mush that would help since I'm not fat.
    That's the same med at the same dosage I am taking. It does make a small difference for me as far as my doc is concerned.
    life is... "All About Bikes"...

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ambassadorhawg View Post
    That's the same med at the same dosage I am taking. It does make a small difference for me as far as my doc is concerned.
    Yeah, it really does run in my family. My brother is 170lbs. (160 in race trim) and has been riding and racing for 25 years, and he still has HBP. I asked my dad when he was diagnosed and he says, "When I was your age".

My cholesterol is normal, my blood glucose is normal... everything else is normal. I look at my BP every once in awhile, but generally I just let it go.

meow meow
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrub View Post
    No, but CVS has great deals on Keystone Light 30 packs....hehehe
    your cvs sells beer? no fair!

Members who have read this thread: 0