Wrenching on cars.- Mtbr.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    mtbr member

Wrenching on cars.

I spent most of the day wrenching on my 2003 TDI Jetta, I've owned it since new, its my baby!

Here are all the parts that went in, the springs are stiffer/taller and result in a lift of 1.5 to 2 inches. The Struts are Konis, FSD, Frequency Sensing Damping, dan, they are so nice compared to the Bilstien TC's that had 200,000 miles on them which had leaked/lost most of their oil. It has been a while since I have a car pulled apart this far, the new lower control arms weren't "necessary, but I wanted all new bushings and ball joints up front while I "had it apart this far".

The parts,

And the result, it'll take me a bit to get used to the look of it being this much further off the ground, but damn it drives so nice now!

I still need to get it aligned, with everything being new up front alignment is WAY off, but that will be fixed on Friday afternoon.

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Good job, saved some serious coin doing all that yourself.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    Nice work on ths suspension. VW fan here, so much so this is my 6th VW hatch, took a brief hiatus but landed this 2004 24v Vr6 6 Spd last week, absolutely in love.. This was a one owner taken well care of and bone stock. Had it 8 days and mods have been light but steady, nothing really more to come except suspension. Love working on cars, sometimes tough to motivate to work on them when it's maintenance stuff but the $$$ saved and feel good of your hands doing the work is priceless. Things done so far....

Techtonics Tuning 2.5" aluminum Cat Back
    AutoTech CAI
    New shifter knob and boot
    Frnt bumper grill
    Antenna
    Lug caps
    Arm rest lid

IMG_2672 by driverfound337, on Flickr
    IMG_2673 by driverfound337, on Flickr

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    Good job, saved some serious coin doing all that yourself.
    Since the age of 16, 29 years ago, I've done about %95 of all of my automotive work! I've spent a fair bit on tools, but compared to paying a mechanic I've saved a lot of dough!

Plus I like knowing how my cars work.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Driverfound337 View Post
    Nice work on ths suspension. VW fan here, so much so this is my 6th VW hatch, took a brief hiatus but landed this 2004 24v Vr6 6 Spd last week, absolutely in love.. This was a one owner taken well care of and bone stock. Had it 8 days and mods have been light but steady, nothing really more to come except suspension. Love working on cars, sometimes tough to motivate to work on them when it's maintenance stuff but the $$$ saved and feel good of your hands doing the work is priceless. Things done so far....

Techtonics Tuning 2.5" aluminum Cat Back
    AutoTech CAI
    New shifter knob and boot
    Frnt bumper grill
    Antenna
    Lug caps
    Arm rest lid

IMG_2672 by driverfound337, on Flickr
    IMG_2673 by driverfound337, on Flickr
    Nice Golf! 2 door, no sunroof, VR6, that's the highest performance golf you could get then!

I love the mk4 Golfs and Jettas.

What do you have in mind for the suspension?

Formerly of Kent

Wrenching on cars.

My wife and I do all of our own work.

Most recently, I designed and fabricated some top hat spacers for our old 2001 Outback. Given that aftermarket companies sell the exact same thing for $150-200, I made my own out of UHMWHDPE. Then, made some spacers to move the rear wheels back slightly. Looks like 11Ē ground clearance now.

We also rebuilt the engine a while back. Well, we had a real pro bore out the cylinders, but we removed everything and reassembled everything. Rebuilt the transmission this summer. 315k and counting.

I raised my old car (2008 Impreza) a while back when I was replacing shocks and struts.

Replaced it with a 2018 Golf Alltrack. I wanted to get the APR+ upgrade from the dealer, but my wife insists we wait until the warranty is up. At which point Iíll put a bigger blower on it, too.

If/when the 2001 Outback dies, Iíll be getting a Forester XT (270hp+) and doing some work on that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    I just bought a really clean 08 a3, and... its an audi, everything has already broken. I think I'm up to about $5000 in repairs the first month I've owned it Just this week I got a golf R camshaft to toss in it and see what happens. Really nice car to drive though. If I didn't get parts for nearly free, and free labor, this thing would be absolutely intolerable to own, and this is one of the easier to maintain and cheap to own audis.

I bought and rebuilt an 06 outback for my girlfriend. I freakin love the subaru! Its the easiest car to work on that I've ever owned. It needed a head gasket, but of course it did. There's not really much else like it out there, I plan to continue fixing anything it needs to keep it going.

I bought a scion tc as a commuter 5 years ago. Got it at 80k with a bad clutch. I finally replaced the clutch at 140k, and did brakes. That's all. The car is spotless, no leaks, no major repairs at all, nothing. Factory suspension and everything is still like-new. Its a super cheesy car that looks like you're borrowing your 16 year old sisters ride, but its nice having a zero upkeep bafflingly reliable vehicle.

Just gave my niece my 01 golf with 275k. Still runs, but this car has been a low key nightmare. It was my girlfriends, and I've done an enormous amount of work to it over the years, bit by bit. Still on the original engine and clutch though! Its not a bad car, but its been a long road. I bet my niece will roll well past 300k before more weirdness.

I dunno, I'm always surprised that vw has fans. I cant say I love mine.

mtbr member
    Good to see that you're still stoked on working on your car. The older I get...the less I want to work on my car. The FSD's are pretty a pretty good setup. I got a chance to drive two Mini Coopers back to back. One had the FSD...and there was a noticeable difference in handling.

For the first time...I paid someone to install my coilovers. The Mk7 front suspension is a stupid tedious job. I'll still do small things though. I want to pick up a front mount intercooler before summer...trying to decide if I want to do it myself.

There are tons of people that are into VW's and also ride bikes.

Wrenching on cars.-img_0885.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    Replaced it with a 2018 Golf Alltrack. I wanted to get the APR+ upgrade from the dealer, but my wife insists we wait until the warranty is up. At which point Iíll put a bigger blower on it, too.
    Your wife is smart. The thing with the APR+ is that if you do need any "warranty" work...you'll have to go to an APR dealer. So if you have an engine issue in an area without one...you're SOL. If you take it to a VW dealer...and depending on the engine issue...you might get a TD1...which is a red flag to VW that you've modified the ECU. Also...with Plus...you have to use all APR parts in your engine. If you decide to get an intake or inlet pipe...or any other engine mod...it can't be from another manufacturer.

I still have a long way to go with the drivetrain warranty on my GTI. I just went conservative and got a Neuspeed module. Its plug and play...and untraceable by the dealer when removed.

mtbr member
    Ex VW guy. The nicest/most fun car I ever owned was a 1988 Scirocco with a 2.0L and many other what were performance parts of the day. I had a couple gti's including a VR6 but the Scirocco was a real drivers car, on rails.

But alas those days are long gone. I'm a diehard van guy now which suits my lifestyle. Infact I just bought a 2011 e-series ford today. Been searching for a deal for months and got this one for about 5k below the local market. REALLY good shape, literally not a drip or wet spot underneath. Tomorrow will be rear brakes and a fuel filter (not seeing that in the records). I do just about all my own mechanical work short of machining and transmissions. Beyond the bottom of the valve body I'd be lost. The computer stuff is getting beyond my ability too which I don't like.

I will have to plug a hole in the roof which the previous owner crudely ran solar panel cables through. Not exactly sure how I'm going to tackle that just yet. Considering a jb-weld sandwich.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot View Post
    I dunno, I'm always surprised that vw has fans. I cant say I love mine.
    My Jetta has been good to me, 237k miles on it, 40-50 MPG all over the place, plenty of power and good handling. I have certainly heard of some people having lots of issues with the Mk4 Jettas, but so far so good for me.

Quote Originally Posted by RS VR6 View Post
    Good to see that you're still stoked on working on your car. The older I get...the less I want to work on my car.
    Me too! I've actually had all those parts sitting on the floor of the garage for ~4 months, kind of embarrassing how long it took me to find the time to get them installed.

The FSD's are pretty a pretty good setup.
    This is my first experience with them, so far driving around on lumpy crappy snow covered roads they are great. I plan on keeping the car for a long time to come so I figured I'd splurge on the struts :-)

I haven't been in any of the newer VW's but I'm sure I'd like them, your car looks sharp! My first car was a 1981 Scirocco, I've been a fan ever since.

Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post
    But alas those days are long gone. I'm a diehard van guy now which suits my lifestyle.
    I have a 2003 sprinter as well as my Jetta, I love having both to choose from. A big van is so nice for so many reasons!

The computer stuff is getting beyond my ability too which I don't like.
    Yea, both my rides are 2003, and I have dealer caliber diagnostic programs for my laptop so I can deal with anything/everything myself. I'd be pretty scared to own a new car with the computer systems they have...

I will have to plug a hole in the roof which the previous owner crudely ran solar panel cables through. Not exactly sure how I'm going to tackle that just yet. Considering a jb-weld sandwich.
    This! https://smile.amazon.com/3M-5200FC-M...marine+sealant

I don't think it can be exposed to freezing temps until after its cured though, takes 24 hours to cure. A piece of sheet metal over the hole then cover the top of the sheet metal so it doesn't rust and it will never leak, I LOVE 5200!!!!

mtbr member
    Thanks! plan for suspension is just going with some sort of cup kit, likely H&R or Koni/Neuspeed.

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    I grew up wrenching on cars. I learned to count by sorting nuts and bolts in the garage for my dad. My blood is Chevy Orange.

I'm in the middle of a rebuild of a Toyota straight six for my son's FJ40 right now. Bored .030, crank turned .010 and .010. Time to assemble.
    "And crawling on the planet's face, some insects called, The Human Race..."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jackbombay View Post

This! https://smile.amazon.com/3M-5200FC-M...marine+sealant

I don't think it can be exposed to freezing temps until after its cured though, takes 24 hours to cure. A piece of sheet metal over the hole then cover the top of the sheet metal so it doesn't rust and it will never leak, I LOVE 5200!!!!
    That looks like the product I'm looking for. Thanks for the tip!

mtbr member
    I've always done my own wrenching on everything. At my age (59) my kids are grown and have added to the fleet which now includes 4 cars, 2 motorcycles, mountain bikes, mowers, leaf blowers, etc. I'm always fixing or maintaining something but it's cool...sort of therapeutic to me. Have accumulated 3 or 4 versions of just about every freakin' tool there is. I try to keep ahead of things to reduce emergent repairs but every now and then an emergency pops up. I have saved 10's of thousands of dollars over the years in repair bills.

When my kids were young, neighborhood friends would bring bikes/mopeds/etc to me to fix...now some of the same kids are coming by to get help on their car issues or borrow a tool.
    12 Santa Cruz Heckler
    18 Kona Process 153 AL/DL (27.5)...:thumbsup:

mtbr member
    My Dad gave me one lesson while I watched him work on his Pontiacs. "Boy, it goes on the same way it came off.". He was a simple man when it came to communication. That was long before I got my driver's license. He passed away before I started driving. I have worked on everything myself since my first car. I rebuilt three cars ('66 Implala SS, '69 Chevelle SS, '70 Hurst Olds 442 convertible), and long lost count of repairs, using that one lesson before I turned 21. Over the years I've come to the conclusion that I really do like working on cars... BUT... only if it's for fun. I hate having to work on cars in a hurry so they would be ready to take me to school or work the next day. That sucked. But as it is today, at 58 years young, I still work on my vehicles once they've outlived new car warranties. But that required work is far and few between these days. Used to be normal to repair cars rather frequently. Water pumps, leaks of various kinds, alternators, rattles, bearings, brakes, etc. And engine and transmission rebuilds at 75,000-1000,000 weren't that uncommon. Those days are gone. I've had recent vehicles with over 300,000 miles on them that have only seen two brake jobs and one tune up. Everything else still all original, except for the occasional battery. These days, my mechanical work is about upgrades. The way it should be.
    You didn't quit riding because you're old, you're old because you quit riding.

Quote Originally Posted by fredcook View Post
    My Dad gave me one lesson while I watched him work on his Pontiacs. "Boy, it goes on the same way it came off.". He was a simple man when it came to communication. That was long before I got my driver's license. He passed away before I started driving. I have worked on everything myself since my first car. I rebuilt three cars ('66 Implala SS, '69 Chevelle SS, '70 Hurst Olds 442 convertible), and long lost count of repairs, using that one lesson before I turned 21. Over the years I've come to the conclusion that I really do like working on cars... BUT... only if it's for fun. I hate having to work on cars in a hurry so they would be ready to take me to school or work the next day. That sucked. But as it is today, at 58 years young, I still work on my vehicles once they've outlived new car warranties. But that required work is far and few between these days. Used to be normal to repair cars rather frequently. Water pumps, leaks of various kinds, alternators, rattles, bearings, brakes, etc. And engine and transmission rebuilds at 75,000-1000,000 weren't that uncommon. Those days are gone. I've had recent vehicles with over 300,000 miles on them that have only seen two brake jobs and one tune up. Everything else still all original, except for the occasional battery. These days, my mechanical work is about upgrades. The way it should be.
    Pretty much identical to me. Learned early on mainly from my older brother wrenching on cars, motorcycles, snowmobiles, bikes etc. around the same age as you and with vehicles these days that last longer I rarely wrench anymore.
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

No known cure
    I used to have an addiction to hot rodding Audi's. Then I bought a TJ Rubicon.
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

mtbr member
    I started fixing my own cars as soon as I had a car, because I couldn't afford to pay for it. I kept doing it because I got sick to death of so called car mechanics bodging jobs on my car. I always check whatever work I've had done and some of the things I've found have been scary.

I still used dealers for servicing while a car is in warranty, or if it needs tools or facilities I don't have, but other than that I do it myself.

Hard to trust any mechanic even a dealer mechanic. They fix one thing and sabotage another to get you back in there to spend more money. Best to do it yourself if you can.

mtbr member
    Hard to trust any mechanic even a dealer mechanic. They fix one thing and sabotage another to get you back in there to spend more money.
    I've not seen anything like that from a main dealer. Fast-Fit places, oh yes! I have found that, irrespective of what kind of garage it is, they can really screw thing up or cut corners. I've yelled at quite a few mechanics in my day ;0)

Upcyclist
    I spent most of the day wrenching on my 2003 TDI Jetta, I've owned it since new, its my baby!
    Looks nice! My friend has a newer one, so new that aftermarket suspension stuff hasn't come out yet. He had one of the diesels that had to be sold back to VW, and I think he's still kinda bitter about that.

Just curious about how easy/hard those older ones are to work on? I'm thinking ahead for my next vehicle, want something with 4wd and I'm considering a 3rd gen 4Runner, but maybe I would be OK with a wagon, maybe a VW or Subaru or something? 2003 TDI wagon prices seem way more reasonable than 6-8K for a 4Runner.

*Edit: Never mind, looks like the Jetta is only 2wd.
    Terms and conditions may apply

No known cure
    Hard to trust any mechanic even a dealer mechanic. They fix one thing and sabotage another to get you back in there to spend more money. Best to do it yourself if you can.
    When I was 16, I bought a used Honda and replaced the clutch. A couple years later I had the dealer replace it. A couple years later I did the job myself and noticed the dealer left out a couple of the hard to get bolts in the tranny.
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cornfield View Post
    *Edit: Never mind, looks like the Jetta is only 2wd.
    Yea, but with proper snow tires they do quite well in snow.

Upcyclist
    Yea, but with proper snow tires they do quite well in snow.
    Forgot about that. I'm used to rear wheel drive with no weight in back, front wheel drive is way better in snow.

mtbr member
    Forgot about that. I'm used to rear wheel drive with no weight in back, front wheel drive is way better in snow.
    4wd does have its place, but I've lived in the Tetons for 22 years and have yet to own a 4wd vehicle, once every 4 years or so I have to put chains on for some reason, but every 4 years I save thousands of dollars of fuel compared to me driving the same miles in a 4wd car. So, it takes me 10 min to put chains on and 2 to take them off, total of 12 minutes, a fifth of an hour, I drive 20,000 miles a year at 45 mpg, to drive that same number of miles in a 4wd vehicle that would likely get 22 MPG, and the fuel cost savings over 4 years is ~$6000 that I save by having to deal with chains once every 4 years, and I save that in 12 minutes, so I'm kind of "making" $30,000 per hour when I put chains on.

If you can get an 03 Jetta with ESP and you put snow tires on it, you will have a velcro car, very good car in the snow IMO, exceedingly difficult to lose control of it even if you try, you really can't actually, unless you use the handbrake.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post
    A couple years later I did the job myself and noticed the dealer left out a couple of the hard to get bolts in the tranny.
    You kill a clutch every couple of years? :0.

That sort of corner cutting is normal. Every time my car went into a garage who had to take the engine under-tray off is was a dead cert that it would come back missing some of the bolts that hold it on.

NDD
    mtbr member
    Man I've been having all kinds of problems with my 92 Dodge Dakota lately. Idling problems. Used to be it didn't start in cold but replaced distributor cap and rotor, spark plugs, and plug wires. Starts better but really doesn't want to idle, like the engine cuts out when stopping at stop lights, mostly after warming up. Replaced fuel filter (I can hear pump running), IAC valve, TPS sensor, EGR valve, can't find a vacuum leak. All of these fixed the problem for a few days and then it'd start stalling again. I even tried slight adjustments on the idle set screw, but that didn't really help.

The darndest thing. Engine just cuts out. I suppose could be some kind of ignition problem. It's been pretty frustrating.

Anyone else have similar problems on early 90's mid-size trucks?

Sent from my LM-X212(G) using Tapatalk
    dang

mtbr member
    I work on all my own stuff. Maybe because I used to wrench on cars for a living. From anything and everything. Mostly did Subaru performance to AMG Mercedes to classic muscle. I don't like working on other people's cars anymore. I still wrench at work now, but that's fleet maintenance.

I gave up on go fast stuff and do 4x4 stuff now. My current project is a 74 Ford F-250 highboy.

As far as being a performance mechanic, if you are not sure what you are doing don't try. It takes twice as long to fix your stupidity. It's not fun trying to uninstall a half installed supercharger then attempt to reinstall it with half the parts. Or "I was trying to install it and dropped a nut down the intake port".

Upcyclist
    4wd does have its place, but I've lived in the Tetons for 22 years and have yet to own a 4wd vehicle, once every 4 years or so I have to put chains on for some reason, but every 4 years I save thousands of dollars of fuel compared to me driving the same miles in a 4wd car. So, it takes me 10 min to put chains on and 2 to take them off, total of 12 minutes, a fifth of an hour, I drive 20,000 miles a year at 45 mpg, to drive that same number of miles in a 4wd vehicle that would likely get 22 MPG, and the fuel cost savings over 4 years is ~$6000 that I save by having to deal with chains once every 4 years, and I save that in 12 minutes, so I'm kind of "making" $30,000 per hour when I put chains on.

If you can get an 03 Jetta with ESP and you put snow tires on it, you will have a velcro car, very good car in the snow IMO, exceedingly difficult to lose control of it even if you try, you really can't actually, unless you use the handbrake.
    I've had my Prerunner Taco for 3-4 years now and haven't really missed my 4wd that got totaled, I just try to stay home if it's really bad out. I used 4wd quite a bit living in Tahoe, but only for goofing around off road in other places. It's almost more of a confidence thing knowing can make it through almost anything, but you end up mall-crawling most of the time.

I was trying to find some VW wagons out on the road today and realized there aren't many, so I looked online at autotrader, etc, not many there either. The gas mileage on the TDIs is what's drawing me in, think I'll keep my eyes open for a good deal, maybe in a year or less I'll find a 2003ish one in nice condition. Sure would be nice to drive something different for a change, been in a Taco for 20 years!

mtbr member
    Any recommendations on aftermarket headlights?

I don't want to be one of these assholes that blinds everybody but I definitely need more highbeam power. I drive a lot of mountain roads with precipitous drop offs etc. My older van had seperate high/low lights which was pretty damn good and my newer van is a single sealed beam, not so much.

There are a ton of aftermarket lights out there, what's a good sealed beam light with more punch than stock?

Quote Originally Posted by NDD View Post
    Man I've been having all kinds of problems with my 92 Dodge Dakota lately. Idling problems. Used to be it didn't start in cold but replaced distributor cap and rotor, spark plugs, and plug wires. Starts better but really doesn't want to idle, like the engine cuts out when stopping at stop lights, mostly after warming up. Replaced fuel filter (I can hear pump running), IAC valve, TPS sensor, EGR valve, can't find a vacuum leak. All of these fixed the problem for a few days and then it'd start stalling again. I even tried slight adjustments on the idle set screw, but that didn't really help.

The darndest thing. Engine just cuts out. I suppose could be some kind of ignition problem. It's been pretty frustrating.

Anyone else have similar problems on early 90's mid-size trucks?

This sounds like a vacuum leak. Check your hoses that go to the inake manifold. Or even a blown head gasket. Does it smoke white smoke out the exhaust at all? If so, thatís the head gasket. Most likely a vacuum leak though. Also a dirty throttle body can cause it not to idle as well.

NDD
    mtbr member
    This sounds like a vacuum leak. Check your hoses that go to the inake manifold. Or even a blown head gasket. Does it smoke white smoke out the exhaust at all? If so, thatís the head gasket. Most likely a vacuum leak though. Also a dirty throttle body can cause it not to idle as well.
    The houses leading to manifold are definitely old but I haven't found a crack or hole yet. Actually replaced a couple right when I got the truck.

Now there is white smoke coming from the tail pipe but I don't know how much that is just because it's cold.

dang

mtbr member
    Any recommendations on aftermarket headlights?

I don't want to be one of these assholes that blinds everybody but I definitely need more highbeam power. I drive a lot of mountain roads with precipitous drop offs etc. My older van had seperate high/low lights which was pretty damn good and my newer van is a single sealed beam, not so much.

There are a ton of aftermarket lights out there, what's a good sealed beam light with more punch than stock?
    You're right, there's a ton of aftermarket stuff available to replace original headlamp housings. Problem is, a lot of it can be junk. Don't fit well, can't be adjusted well, poor reflector or projector lens design, etc. And in some states, aftermarket assemblies may not pass safety inspections. When I need more high beam or off road lighting, I always consider the addition of auxiliary driving lamps. That gives you a lot of options like wide or narrow beams, more power that can't be placed inside headlamp assemblies, easier to go with HID or LED. And it leaves the OEM headlamp assemblies as they are. And if your vehicle already has factory auxiliary lights (or a place for them as an option), they are easier to upgrade. Just make sure auxiliary lights are relayed off of the high beam circuit so there isn't a chance they're unintentionally on when low beams are active.
    You didn't quit riding because you're old, you're old because you quit riding.

mtbr member
    The houses leading to manifold are definitely old but I haven't found a crack or hole yet. Actually replaced a couple right when I got the truck.

Now there is white smoke coming from the tail pipe but I don't know how much that is just because it's cold.
    Is your oil clear or kinda milky colored? how is your coolant level?

I had to pull the heads off one of the work truck a few weeks ago. bent an exhaust valve. and of course now the water pump is leaking.... its a never ending job on fleet vehicles.
    Wrenching on cars.-img_20181101_065907095.jpg
    Dont make me go all Jonathan Winters on this gas station.

NDD
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by azimiut View Post
    Is your oil clear or kinda milky colored? how is your coolant level?

I had to pull the heads off one of the work truck a few weeks ago. bent an exhaust valve. and of course now the water pump is leaking.... its a never ending job on fleet vehicles.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20181101_065907095.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	348.1 KB 
ID:	1235037
    The oil isn't milky. Coolant is proper in the radiator but the actual reservoir beside the radiator does leak.

It is funny, warms up and then won't idle well. Cuts out at stop lights. It'll run smooth a few days and then start stalling and when it starts stalling it'll start randomly bucking and sputtering when I turn it back on. Maybe the timing ain't right. I could see if distributor isn't properly indexed. I could also roll it into the Mississippi River.

dang

mtbr member
    I could also roll it into the Mississippi River.
    good idea

mtbr member
    The oil isn't milky. Coolant is proper in the radiator but the actual reservoir beside the radiator does leak.

It is funny, warms up and then won't idle well. Cuts out at stop lights. It'll run smooth a few days and then start stalling and when it starts stalling it'll start randomly bucking and sputtering when I turn it back on. Maybe the timing ain't right. I could see if distributor isn't properly indexed. I could also roll it into the Mississippi River.

Does indexing the distributor change it?
    High miles? Perhaps the the gear is worn or whatever is advancing the timing isn't working. I'd also check the coil in addition to what you mentioned.

NDD
    mtbr member
    Does indexing the distributor change it?
    High miles? Perhaps the the gear is worn or whatever is advancing the timing isn't working. I'd also check the coil in addition to what you mentioned.
    I'll have to figure that out. Maybe over the weekend. Fortunately I walk to work mostly. I'll pop off the cap again and see if there's play in the shaft, which I didn't recall, but maybe missed. I'm sure replacing coil outright wouldn't hurt. The spark plugs I replaced were probably older than the truck, basically just nubs with a 1mm+ gap.

And yes it's about 206k on miles. Maybe it's a lost cause but it's got an 8 foot bed and regular cab, so I'm quite fond of it. Also was running well until recently.

dang

mtbr member
    chewed/broken wire? we have terrible pack rat problems out here in AZ.

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    chewed/broken wire? we have terrible rat pack problems out here in AZ.
    They chew through wires? Who knew?Wrenching on cars.-rat_pack.jpg

mtbr member
    Damn dyslexia

I'll have to figure that out. Maybe over the weekend. Fortunately I walk to work mostly. I'll pop off the cap again and see if there's play in the shaft, which I didn't recall, but maybe missed. I'm sure replacing coil outright wouldn't hurt. The spark plugs I replaced were probably older than the truck, basically just nubs with a 1mm+ gap.

And yes it's about 206k on miles. Maybe it's a lost cause but it's got an 8 foot bed and regular cab, so I'm quite fond of it. Also was running well until recently.

I still think youíve got a vacuum leak somewhere around the intake. Or a dirty throttle body.

Bikesexual
    I still think youíve got a vacuum leak somewhere around the intake. Or a dirty throttle body.
    My guess, left windshield wiper is missing fluid.

Sorry bored at work.
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit
    Surly Cross-Check

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Quote Originally Posted by jcd46 View Post
    My guess, left windshield wiper is missing fluid.

Sorry bored at work.
    I think you're on the right track, but I believe low blinker fluid is causing his issues.

But, I've also had issues with muffler bearings in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckha62 View Post
    I think you're on the right track, but I believe low blinker fluid is causing his issues.

But, I've also had issues with muffler bearings in the past.
    Muffler bearings was going to be my next suggestion. Maybe he should check his piston return springs while heís in there.

Cycologist
    OT butÖ

Parked next to a Bronco this morning, pretty similar to one my dad had that I used to drive on occasion. His was a '75; this one may have been a year or two later. Completely flat windshield, wipers mounted at the top, two gas tanks, three on the tree; brought back some memories, it was even the same baby blue/white top. It also shared some of the parts I had on my '69 mustang.

Dad kept it a long time but then it was getting where parts were hard to get. I was driving it once and the gear shifter broke off in my hand on a shift. Fortunately, it was geared low enough that I could just park on a hill and skip first and drive it in second. Or maybe it was in third.
    This post is a natural product. Variances in spelling & grammar should be appreciated as part of its character & beauty.

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    ^^ Never been a Ford guy, but I'd take a first gen. Bronco.

Quote Originally Posted by chazpat View Post
    OT butÖ

Parked next to a Bronco this morning, pretty similar to one my dad had that I used to drive on occasion. His was a '75; this one may have been a year or two later. Completely flat windshield, wipers mounted at the top, two gas tanks, three on the tree; brought back some memories, it was even the same baby blue/white top. It also shared some of the parts I had on my '69 mustang.

Dad kept it a long time but then it was getting where parts were hard to get. I was driving it once and the gear shifter broke off in my hand on a shift. Fortunately, it was geared low enough that I could just park on a hill and skip first and drive it in second. Or maybe it was in third.
    In the late Ď80ís to early Ď90ís my older brother had a Ď69 Bronco 302- manual - 3 on the tree. I used to drive it quite often. Always was my favorite of all the old 4X4ís. He also had a Ď66 Mustang 302 - 3 speed manual at the same time. I was not a happy camper when he sold the Bronco. I wanted it but wasnít in the position at the time to buy it.

mtbr member
    I liked all the Broncos and first years of the 2 door Yukons.
    If I had unlimited resources I'd pimp out a mid 80's Bronco trophy truck style. I saw one in Moab once that was outrageous. Some guy was rippin wheelies in it past our campsite on Sand Flats and driving up onto the fins & stuff like nuthin. Love that about that place, never know what the hell you're going to see.

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Give me a '66-'76 Bronco, a '69-'72 K5 Blazer or Jimmy, or a '63-'73 FJ40 and I'm a happy camper. I'll happily work on and/or restore one of any of those.

mtbr member
    I always think if you aren't wrenching on your car you are throwing away money, even if it is just an oil change. Get intimate with your car.

Though I tend to get over analytical when I drive. Thankfully I have a subaru which is very similar to working on a tractor.Though engine out through hood sucks.

Give me a '66-'76 Bronco, a '69-'72 K5 Blazer or Jimmy, or a '63-'73 FJ40 and I'm a happy camper. I'll happily work on and/or restore one of any of those.
    Yep, the K5 Blazers and Jimmys always held a warm spot in my heart. The FJ40 also but only with a V8 conversion.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by richardjohnson View Post
    I always think if you aren't wrenching on your car you are throwing away money, even if it is just an oil change. Get intimate with your car.

Though I tend to get over analytical when I drive. Thankfully I have a subaru which is very similar to working on a tractor.Though engine out through hood sucks.

whats wrong with engine out through the hood? way easy. I can R&R a subie engine in about 2 hours. WRX clutch in hour and a half, STI year depending in 2 hours. replace a short block in about 5 hours if I have all the parts and the heads are not effed.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fredcook View Post
    You're right, there's a ton of aftermarket stuff available to replace original headlamp housings. Problem is, a lot of it can be junk. Don't fit well, can't be adjusted well, poor reflector or projector lens design, etc. And in some states, aftermarket assemblies may not pass safety inspections. When I need more high beam or off road lighting, I always consider the addition of auxiliary driving lamps. That gives you a lot of options like wide or narrow beams, more power that can't be placed inside headlamp assemblies, easier to go with HID or LED. And it leaves the OEM headlamp assemblies as they are. And if your vehicle already has factory auxiliary lights (or a place for them as an option), they are easier to upgrade. Just make sure auxiliary lights are relayed off of the high beam circuit so there isn't a chance they're unintentionally on when low beams are active.
    I'm definitely considering auxiliary lights and would probably wire them to their own dedicated switch.

Ideally I could simply replace the sealed beam with something higher tech that has a LOT more highbeam throw but not to much more low beam. It'd be simpler but my main concern is attracting attention. Incognito vans have served me well regarding break ins etc. As you say there are a sea of products though, hard to pick a winner.

mtbr member
    LED aux lights. If you really want to do dedicated switch go with a relay and the old school left foot high beam switch. That way it's both hands on the wheel. I have my old KC lights on the floor switch and a aux horn down there too. That way you can honk at someone and act like it's not you lol.

mtbr member
    whats wrong with engine out through the hood? way easy. I can R&R a subie engine in about 2 hours. WRX clutch in hour and a half, STI year depending in 2 hours. replace a short block in about 5 hours if I have all the parts and the heads are not effed.
    I nominate you the dedicated thread professional and Q&A expert.

Q- any pressure bleeder advice?

Just bought a Motive brand pressure bleeder. I've never used one before as I've always used the 2 person manually pump the brakes method. My van behaves as if there is air in the line. Soft pedal but one pump and it's firm. I'm seeing online that professionals recommend a tool to activate the abs module during bleeding to solve the braking symptoms I'm experiencing. The problem is my dealership wants $185 for a brake bleed and when I brought up the abs module they brushed it off. I don't want to spend $185 for a frikkin brake bleed, especially if it doesn't solve my problem.

mtbr member
    we always did the two person pump and bleed method. pedal down, open. close. pedal up. pedal down, open, close, pedal up, close and so on. unless it was a mercedes. we used the pressure pot.

Also made the hand pump vacuum bleeder with a mason jar. works really good.

WTF cant upload any pics?

Up In Smoke
    we always did the two person pump and bleed method. pedal down, open. close. pedal up. pedal down, open, close, pedal up, close and so on. unless it was a mercedes. we used the pressure pot.

Also made the hand pump vacuum bleeder with a mason jar. works really good.
    Oh yes, in my younger days I've spent plenty of time up on the lift assisting techs.

mtbr member
    Anybody ever change out ball joints with a rental kit from the auto store?

I'm waffling between having my ball joints done or tackling them myself. I'm confident I can do the job provided the rental press has all the adapters needed for my ball joints. It would suck to get it all apart and get stuck half way through though. I stand to save roughly $600 doing it myself but have never done them before. Would MUCH rather put that $600 toward other stuff converting this van into my camp/mtb fun machine.

mtbr member
    Anybody ever change out ball joints with a rental kit from the auto store?

I'm waffling between having my ball joints done or tackling them myself. I'm confident I can do the job provided the rental press has all the adapters needed for my ball joints. It would suck to get it all apart and get stuck half way through though. I stand to save roughly $600 doing it myself but have never done them before. Would MUCH rather put that $600 toward other stuff converting this van into my camp/mtb fun machine.
    You don't need the van to get to work in the morning?

If so, DO IT YOURSELF!

For any relatively routine automotive procedure you could possibly need to perform there is a youtube video that gives you all the info you need.

Worst case scenario you need to buy a kit from harbor freight to complete the job so you only save $550 dollars?

Do it!

NDD
    mtbr member
    Finally got the gumption to check the distributor shaft. There is a TSB that these things go out frequently this model year. I'd say it seems to be rather wiggly. What do y'all think?

Never mind can't post a gif on Tapatalk for some reason. It had about 1/4" of play or so.

dang

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Sounds too wobbly to me. I know, a highly technical term.

NDD
    mtbr member
    Sounds too wobbly to me. I know, a highly technical term.
    Good to know. I still might be moving on from this vehicle. My dad wants to buy it and I know for a fact that the rear brakes and exhaust need totally replaced. In the city you gotta get that emissions test certified. Bet I can find a shady inspector though...

dang

mtbr member
    Really should not wobble at all. Any damage or marring on the gears? How does it spin?

Are the rear brakes drums? I hate doing brakes. My project truck is 4 wheel drums. I am currently replacing everything from the brake pedal to the wheel cylinders. Booster, master, lines, hoses, and so on... And my truck doesn't fit in the garage so it's work in the dirt. I hate brakes. Did I say that already?

NDD
    mtbr member
    Really should not wobble at all. Any damage or marring on the gears? How does it spin?

Are the rear brakes drums? I hate doing brakes. My project truck is 4 wheel drums. I am currently replacing everything from the brake pedal to the wheel cylinders. Booster, master, lines, hoses, and so on... And my truck doesn't fit in the garage so it's work in the dirt. I hate brakes. Did I say that already?
    I'm sure there is. It's actually attached to the gear on the oil pump, which I'm sure is also bad. Haven't got a clue how to replace that part yet. Both that oil pump gear and distributor would be about $130.

The rear brakes are drums. I replaced front brakes totally, which were calipers but that was pretty easy. Looked at the rear brakes and noped out pretty quick.

dang

NDD, is your dad doing you favor by buying it from you? Or are you unloading it on him just because heís making an offer? Sounds like some turmoil down the road if this transaction takes place, just saying.

NDD
    mtbr member
    NDD, is your dad doing you favor by buying it from you? Or are you unloading it on him just because heís making an offer? Sounds like some turmoil down the road if this transaction takes place, just saying.
    He wants a project truck. Something to tinker with.

dang

mtbr member
    Front Drums
    Wrenching on cars.-img_20190120_142117472.jpg

Always be careful removing old drums. watch your fingers or that little guy might get you. do you see him?

He wants a project truck. Something to tinker with.

Glad thatís the case and sorry I went there.

Front Drums

Name:	IMG_20190120_142117472.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	359.3 KB 
ID:	1236106

Always be careful removing old drums. watch your fingers or that little guy might get you. do you see him?
    No, I assume a poisonous spider in there somewhere.

mtbr member
    Black widow right behind the adjuster

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Brake clean will take care of that bastige!

Now... No self-adjusters. Just like my old Landcruisers.

Cycologist
    I'm going OT again. Check out what was parked at the trailhead last weekend:

Wrenching on cars.-army_blanket.jpg
    This post is a natural product. Variances in spelling & grammar should be appreciated as part of its character & beauty.

mtbr member
    ^Cool
    I was up at Brundage ID on a riding vaca about 4 years ago and a local was shuttling everybody for free in his Unimog. Was the little something extra to a great day.

Yep, something we have to keep our eyes out for in the west. Luckily they move as slow as a snail.

mtbr member
    Brake clean will take care of that bastige!

Now... No self-adjusters. Just like my old Landcruisers.
    Rear gets self adjusters front no. But just like the Land cruiser I have a special axle. Closed knuckle. But mine is a Dana 60.

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Rear gets self adjusters front no. But just like the Land cruiser I have a special axle. Closed knuckle. But mine is a Dana 60.
    What's this on? ...or did I miss it?

mtbr member
    1974 Ford f250 highboy

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chazpat View Post
    I'm going OT again. Check out what was parked at the trailhead last weekend:

Name:	army_blanket.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	101.2 KB 
ID:	1236133
    Lol...thats awesome. I love those types of vehicles.

I wonder what the gas mileage is. They probably gotta fill up on the way there...and once on the way back.

mtbr member
    Pinzy aka pinzgauer. cool truck. crazy drive train. ring and pinion for each wheel.

mtbr member
    They probably gotta fill up on the way there...and once on the way back.
    Yep, they can drive anywhere, except past a gas station.

mtbr member
    I have yet to figure my fuel mileage on my truck. probably around 5-7mpg. 44in tires, 4.90 gears, 390ci carbureted. 4spd no OD.

Rotated my tires today. One of my rims was damaged by a a kid running into it with a mini van. Itís been like that for a couple of years. I remembered I have a spare rim in my storage locker from another incident years ago. I went and dug it out and inspected it. Turns out itís in way better shape. So I took it to ďthe manĒ and had it swapped out and all four rotated and balanced. Washed the truck at a drive through that ďthe manĒ owns and itís like a new truck again.

mtbr member
    I have yet to figure my fuel mileage on my truck. probably around 5-7mpg. 44in tires, 4.90 gears, 390ci carbureted. 4spd no OD.
    OMG!

Think how much less you could work if you had a car that got 30 MPG!

Although theres the possibility that you rarely drive so low MPG doesn't result in much money out of pocket.

mtbr member
    I drive my off road trucks maybe 1k a year. Full size bronco I drive when needed and the f250 highboy is yet to be registered. My daily is a Hyundai accent 3 door aka "the ding dong". Because they door chime is the classic ding dong, ding dong. As base as it gets. It gets about 30mpg. I need it because my commute to work is about 32 miles each way.

mtbr member
    My daily is a Hyundai accent.... It gets about 30mpg. I need it because my commute to work is about 32 miles each way.
    Good to hear it.

My buddy has a 1984 toyota landcruiser, I kind of talked him into getting a 2003 Jetta wagon TDI, he went from 12 MPG to 45 MPG, he told me the car "totally changed my life". He, like me, travels a fair bit for work, so cutting his fuel bill by ~%75 really helped him out. He still has the Land Cruiser, but its rare he ever drives it.

Didnít know where to place this.

Is it just me or is the design of the front end of this Chevy more badass than any other truck brand / model on the road? I could be wrong, please correct me if I am.

Wrenching on cars.-1e0b0217-fbed-444f-8d8d-10466b700b67.jpg

mtbr member
    That does look pretty sharp, I'll take one with a 2006 Duramax behind the grill please.

mtbr member
    Not really been a fan of newer Chevy trucks. My dad has a '15 and I hate driving it. I like the 80s and older.

NDD
    mtbr member
    Seem to have figured out the stalling problem. Either a worn distributor, worn timing chain, or both caused the timing to get pretty well off over the course of a couple months. My dad and I were looking at it, and he adjusted the distributor a bit (it was ahead of timing chain, I think) and it started and stayed idling. Took it for a drive and it had really good power and drove well. Actually accelerated up a hill and hit 45 without any trouble (speed limit 35 so I didn't wanna push it). No bucking or backfiring, no sluggishness gaining speed uphill. Actually I'd say between that and the combination of new valves and sensors and a tune up, it drove better than it has in a long time. It makes me want to keep the truck, despite the fact my wife hates it.

That said, at a minimum it needs a new timing chain, sprockets, and distributor, a new exhaust (including cat), and totally new rear brakes, from the master cylinder back. I'm inclined to still get rid of it because that all needs to be done within the year to be driveable and pass safety and emissions inspections. And that's only true if the fuel pump doesn't go caput or something.

Also I may be coming into possession of a 97 Ford F150 xlt for $1500. I would shy away from it, because it has 312k on the engine, but it's surprisingly clean for a work truck. It's clearly been garaged most of its time off, and kept up well. No problems starting, strong idle, surprisingly quiet engine. Very little rust on exhaust or brakes (or anywhere) and transmission is super clean. The electrical wires are in tact and houses and belts seem new, or at least not dry rotted. Also has a back seat for the dogs so they don't have to lay across my lap when we go on trips, a featuremy wife is very interested in. Better yet it comes with a shell that has racks on top so when the spark plugs blow out of the engine (which was apparently a thing) I can at least sell that. This makes up for being a short bed truck. Gonna miss that 8 foot bed. I figure at $1500 it's cool even if I only get 2 or 3 years out of it. Just have to know when to move on.

dang

mtbr member
    I would move past that Ford. $1500 maybe if it's under 200k.

NDD
    mtbr member
    I would move past that Ford. $1500 maybe if it's under 200k.
    Not much hope of getting two to three years out of it (approximately 20k miles)? I suppose with that many miles it could go at any minute. I know a couple people who have gotten upwards of 450k on different Fords from that era, but maybe that's too much of a gamble.

dang

I Tried Them ALL... SuperModerator
    I was a Porsche dealer technician, from 1983-1988. I do all the wrenching on my 575hp+ tuned, uber-SUV:

Wrenching on cars.-my_ctt2.jpg
    "This is a male-dominated forum... there will be lots of Testosterone sword-shaming here" ~ Kenfucius

mtbr member
    One of the most reliable beaters I ever owned was an AWD astro I bought for $1700 with 247k on the clock. Beat the ever living shit of that thing for another 85k or so before selling it off for $1200. It still ran like a champ but the buyer drunk drove straight through a Y and ripped the front off it. Most of my vehicles have been beaters that ran well and were clean at time of purchase and they have all worked out every time, yrmv.

Any mtb vehicles I own are going to get severely pin striped at a bare minimum. Overloaded with camping gear, beer coolers, bikes and dudes to be driven up stuff most sane people wouldn't is pretty standard fare so they make sense for me. With that 312k is a gamble, something could let loose that doesn't make financial sense to repair or it could last and last.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Didnít know where to place this.

Is it just me or is the design of the front end of this Chevy more badass than any other truck brand / model on the road? I could be wrong, please correct me if I am.

Name:	1E0B0217-FBED-444F-8D8D-10466B700B67.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	348.8 KB 
ID:	1236470
    Looks pretty cool. The low profile tires kill it for me though. That's a road princess, could have just gotten a muscle car that would have been much more practical for the use (flooring it in a straight line).

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

NDD
    mtbr member
    One of the most reliable beaters I ever owned was an AWD astro I bought for $1700 with 247k on the clock. Beat the ever living shit of that thing for another 85k or so before selling it off for $1200. It still ran like a champ but the buyer drunk drove straight through a Y and ripped the front off it. Most of my vehicles have been beaters that ran well and were clean at time of purchase and they have all worked out every time, yrmv.

Any mtb vehicles I own are going to get severely pin striped at a bare minimum. Overloaded with camping gear, beer coolers, bikes and dudes to be driven up stuff most sane people wouldn't is pretty standard fare so they make sense for me. With that 312k is a gamble, something could let loose that doesn't make financial sense to repair or it could last and last.
    Hmm thanks for the perspective. I have yet to take for a test drive but will soon. If it doesn't run well all around then I'm out for sure, but as it stands it's in better shape that my current truck because it experienced regular maintenance by previous owner (who was family), was kept in a garage, and never really sat for extended periods of time. And at least it would pass a safety and emissions inspection (was living rural last registration period so turned a blind eye to some safety things and no emissions test).

dang

Not really been a fan of newer Chevy trucks. My dad has a '15 and I hate driving it. I like the 80s and older.
    I agree the older late 60ís through the late 80ís are the best body styles. But for new styles this one in the photos front end is pretty sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by Cayenne_Pepa View Post
    I was a Porsche dealer technician, from 1983-1988. I do all the wrenching on my 575hp+ tuned, uber-SUV:

Name:	my_ctt2.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	244.1 KB 
ID:	1236560
    Which finally explains your username. Nice!

Quote Originally Posted by tfinator View Post
    Looks pretty cool. The low profile tires kill it for me though. That's a road princess, could have just gotten a muscle car that would have been much more practical for the use (flooring it in a straight line).

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
    I hate low profile tires on trucks. It kills me when I see a lifted 4x4 truck with low profiles and large rims. Worthless 4x4 vehicle right there. The truck in the photo if it was a 4x4 with beefy tires and a slight lift would be my choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Cayenne_Pepa View Post

Name:	my_ctt2.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	244.1 KB 
ID:	1236560

My brother had an 1989 Astro van that he used it in that same manner for 15 years. He bought it used with 50K. Ran all over the country and into Mexico seeking out windsurf and surfing / mtb locations. A camping vehicle that was very reliable. He rang up 110K and sold it with 160K on it for the same price he paid for 15 years prior. Great vehicle and very reliable.

Fun fact: Generation 1 of Chevy V6ís are just a 350 V8 Chevy small block with 2 cylinders cut off.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gene..._90į_V6_engine

Wrenching on cars.-db532b01-216b-4a35-8e0b-02e40185f488.jpg

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    We had an '86 and then a '97 Astro, both with a 4.3. Couldn't kill 'em.

My son has a '17 Chevy 1/2t. So far it's been a really solid truck. Over 50k mi. on it already with a 5.3 6 sp. auto.

I just keep racking up the miles on my '00 2500 Suburban 6.0. Like a rock.

mtbr member
    My 94 bronco has 285k miles and has been very dependable.

We have a 99 Chevy 3500 under 100k miles and have had to replace an exhaust valve a few months ago.

Irritating one was the low oil pressure on our 02 2500 Silverado. Just because gm was cheap and didn't put 2 bolts on the oil pick-up tube. had to drop the pan and change the $3 o ring and add a bolt.

Every car manufacturer has their stupid crap and engineering. Like Ford and their stupid spark plugs.

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    My 94 bronco has 285k miles and has been very dependable.

We have a 99 Chevy 3500 under 100k miles and have had to replace an exhaust valve a few months ago.

Irritating one was the low oil pressure on our 02 2500 Silverado. Just because gm was cheap and didn't put 2 bolts on the oil pick-up tube. had to drop the pan and change the $3 o ring and add a bolt.

Every car manufacturer has their stupid crap and engineering. Like Ford and their stupid spark plugs.
    Burnt?

mtbr member
    Burnt/bent. Just enough to cause no compression

Wrenching on cars.-img_20190203_122036088_hdr.jpg

worked on cars all day sunday. no football. eneded up cutting my forehead open as well. I was removing the axle seal on my front hub, it popped out and straight to the face.

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Burnt/bent. Just enough to cause no compression
    A buddy's '99 5.7 Mercruiser burnt an exhaust. He called me and said, my motor "sucked" a valve. I said, send me a pic. It was badly burned. To the point where it damaged the seat as well. I found him a pair of heads, instead.

mtbr member
    I just got a new valve and replaced it. still stripped both heads down and lapped all the valves.

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    I'm concerned he's got something else going on and has an over lean condition.

I'm concerned he's got something else going on and has an over lean condition.
    Just over revving a motor can cause that, no?

mtbr member
    there is a service bulletin on those engines. what it describes is not really a burnt valve, but a sticking valve. that can cause a bent/burnt situation.

Subject: SES Light and P0300 When Towing, Cruising Uphill or on hard Acceleration - kw 4.3, 5.0, 5.7 accelerate cruise cylinderhead DTC L30, L31, L35, LF6, LU3, P0300, P0301, P0302, P0303, P0304, P0305, P0306, P0307 P0308 # PIP3081 - (07/23/2004)

Models:

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom described in the PI.

Condition/Concern:

The vehicle may exhibit a SES Light due to a P0300 and misfire. If the misfire is related to the information below, it will typically happen while cruising uphill, pulling a trailer or on hard acceleration and then stop misfiring shortly after returning to an idle. Typically, cylinders 3, 4, 5 or 6 will be the ones to experience this.

Recommendation/Instructions:

If the P0300 SI diagnostics did not isolate a concern, the following may help:

Remove the valve cover, valve springs and valve seals on the effected cylinder or cylinders. A small wire tie or rubber bands can be placed in the valve stem keeper groove to prevent the valve from falling into the cylinder. Rotate the valve while moving it up and down in the guide to see if it binds. If a binding valve is found, remove both cylinder heads and use either of the following methods to increase the stem to guide clearance:

^ Send the head out to a machine shop and advise them to increase the valve stem to guide clearance to 0.002 inch per guide.

^ Hone the guide with a 9 mm hone, such as Snap On BCG249, until a clearance of 0.002 inch is obtained. This will usually take about 4 strokes of the hone.

Reassemble the cylinder heads using new valve seals.

Please follow this diagnosis process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed. If these steps do not resolve the condition, please contact GM TAC for further diagnostic assistance.

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    I check for bulletins from time to time. Good to know about that one. In my buddy's application, he may well have another one waiting to happen, as his boat has twin Mercruiser 5.7s

Boats are a bit of a different animal however and may or may not be subject to the same manufacturing issues. They do tend to run at higher revs and for longer periods of time though.

mtbr member
    They run in a different load. Our truck that ruined the valve is a work truck. Nothing worse than a 3500 crew cab dually flatbed with a vortec 5.7 in it. And it doesn't rev. If you run wot it still shifts around 4k. Luckily now it doesn't see freeway speed. Hell it doesn't leave the mall parking lot.

mtbr member
    Wrenching on cars.-20190217_130823-1.jpg

4 new Germans on the new(er) van. Clearance to get the top nut off on these was a real pita. I ended up just cutting the shaft with a sawsall. Not possible on the rear though. Had to spin those off with an articulating ratchet box wrench and a strap wrench on the shock body. About 5į turn at a time. Took about 45 minutes per, hope it was worth it.

Next project, ball joints. Bought some moog problem solvers, cheap. I've never done ball joints before. Going to get a loaner press kit from the parts store. Provided the right adapters are in it I'm confident I can get'r done.

Debating on renting a shop space for that or doing it in my complex parking lot. I can rent a garage space with a lift for $25 an hour. I got a good look at everything I need to disassemble today and honestly it looks pretty easy. Lift would be nice though.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Wrenching on cars.-20190217_130823.jpg  

Upcyclist
    ^^I've got Billies on my Tacoma, nice shocks!

Got some new Denso O2 sensors for my exhaust that'll hopefully make the CEl go off, not sure if will tho, but seems like a good thing to do anyway with 200k on the clock. I could've sworn I had the P4020 (like on my other Taco: bad cats) code in the past, but it's not showing anymore, crossing my fingers that it won't pop up after spending ~$170 on AFR/O2 sensors.

mtbr member
    I tried to chase down an intermittent code for a possible 02 sensor, my astro had 4 of them. Turned out to be the gas cap. 247k original 02 sensors lol.

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Pfffft! I had a simple one yesterday. Replaced a fuel pump on a '65 Corvair. Cake! (but I know those cars inside out)

mtbr member
    I think the fuel pump is going out on my bronco. Pain. Drop the tank or diy access hole. I'm thinking access hole.

Does your complex let you work on your car? I know most around here don't.

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    I will never live anywhere with a HOA. I'll be damned if someone is going to tell me what I can do with/in my own home.

I'm getting ready to swap out my son's FJ40 straight six. When I do, it'll be in my garage and driveway. It will not be messy nor will I create an eyesore for anyone. Regardless, it'll be no one's business but mine.

mtbr member
    I cut an access hole in my Astro for the fuel pump, it was super easy. Measured it out, drilled a hole for a visual then cut it out with an angle grinder and cut off disk. Put the piece back in with two rectangles of sheet metal and 4 rivets then covered it with a piece of vycor. Debating on doing the same with my new van proactively. Would suck to be on a road trip and end up in a jam for what would otherwise be a 15 min job.

Technically I'm not supposed to work on my van at my complex, no. But...I work for the guy that has controlling share of the property and I work on it over by our shop. Nonetheless if somebody complained or an investor drove through while I was working on it, it could reflect poorly on me and possibly cause headaches at my job. I'm thinking ball joints and pounding on metal with a 3lb hammer may be over the top for my situation. Either way the job would be more enjoyable renting shop space with a lift and I'd still save $500. Then again I plan on quitting within tbe year anyway...decisions.

mtbr member
    I will never live anywhere with a HOA. I'll be damned if someone is going to tell me what I can do with/in my own home.

I'm getting ready to swap out my son's FJ40 straight six. When I do, it'll be in my garage and driveway. It will not be messy nor will I create an eyesore for anyone. Regardless, it'll be no one's business but mine.
    What motor is going in?

We moved to where we live to get away from anything like HOA. our old neighborhood kept trying to start one. now we live out of town.

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    What motor is going in?

We moved to where we live to get away from anything like HOA. our old neighborhood kept trying to start one. now we live out of town.
    I just built another stock 1F for it. My son wants to keep it as original as possible.

The short block is complete. Gotta pop the freeze plugs in, set and torque the head, then run the valves and she's done.

You'll probably appreciate this, Azimiut. Check out the skirt on this 1F piston:

Wrenching on cars.-img_3899_rot.jpg

And the journal width on the crank (the damn thing weighs nearly 80 lbs!):

Wrenching on cars.-img_3898.jpg

It's no wonder these are such low RPM engines.

mtbr member
    Holy cow that looks like a diesel

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    These are great old motors. His is making a noise that I can't pinpoint in cyl #6 (I think it's a broken second compression ring) and this motor was given to me for free. I figured I'd just build it and swap it out. I'll figure his out and maybe go through it (maybe not).

I'm planning on picking up an old FJ for myself this Spring. Depending on what I find though, I'll likely go with an LS swap.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    So many projects lined up right now. Jeep needs new glow plugs, alternator and replace the oil cooler seals, van needs the fog light wiring installed, the time attack cars need the supercharger installed and I need to finish welding the cage in the neon.

Endless car projects

mtbr member
    Im just trying to find time to work on my truck. If I'm not home late from work I'm out of town. if I am in town it's raining. Since my truck is too big for my garage I have to work outside. I'm completely free this weekend and it is going to be cold and raining with a chance of snow.

mtbr member
    Wrenching on cars.-20171202_132731.jpg

Wouldn't want to drop one of these on your toe.

mtbr member
    Wrenching on cars.-20171202_132731-1.jpg

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Talk about reciprocating mass! What are they out of, a Johnny Popper?

Edit: Okay, not John Deere 2 cyl.

mtbr member
    OT but they are in the Bumblebee museum in Astoria. I'm guessing they are either out of an old canning ship or a tug used to navigate the Columbia Bar aka the deadliest stretch of ocean in the world. If one finds themselves in Oregon I highly recommend visiting both, they will not disappoint.

* Suppose it's likely they are also from an old generator used for refrigeration in the Bumblebee cannery.

mtbr member
    Ifound the pics of the valve that was bent on the 5.7 vortec

Wrenching on cars.-img_20181031_123629072_hdr.jpg
    Name:  IMG_20190205_054832935_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg
Views: 320
Size:  32.0 KB

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    ^^^ Interesting. There are no witness marks on the valve (nor I presume on the piston) that show contact with anything.

Good stuff in this thread. Keep them coming.

Chuck, canít wait to see what FJ you end up with and what engine swap you do. Maybe do a thread on that purchase and build.

^^^ Interesting. There are no witness marks on the valve (nor I presume on the piston) that show contact with anything.
    I assume serious horsepower with over revving would do that.

mtbr member
    no HP on this one. its just a work truck. a friend told me it could have been carbon build up causing the valve to get stuck open just enough. the stem gets too hot and bends just slightly. no marks on the piston either.

its a big truck that gets way over loaded and under powered. 5.7 vortec pulling a crew cab dually flat bed.

going through old work pics
    I dont think there is a check engine light for these problems.

what 38psi of boost will do to a subaru engine.
    Wrenching on cars.-20131218_090341_zpsbd934f43.jpg

These are called piston biscuits. those at one time were actually pistons. no joke.
    Wrenching on cars.-20131120_084900_zps28129c02.jpg

Meltdown ^
    🔥🔥🔥🔥☄️💥

mtbr member
    the top pic blew out the cyl wall. there is a weak spot in the block right there. it is cut thinner just slightly to allow access to the bolts that hold the block together.

low oil and oil starvation from cornering. that is an issue with subaru boxer motors when racing.

you can see a connecting rod in the top left of the corner, rod bearing just above the pistons on the left as well. when I pulled the motor out and put it on the stand the sound of things tumbling around inside was very entertaining.

the top pic blew out the cyl wall. there is a weak spot in the block right there. it is cut thinner just slightly to allow access to the bolts that hold the block together.

low oil and oil starvation from cornering. that is an issue with subaru boxer motors when racing.

you can see a connecting rod in the top left of the corner, rod bearing just above the pistons on the left as well. when I pulled the motor out and put it on the stand the sound of things tumbling around inside was very entertaining.
    Great design, have they corrected that? And I laugh at your response of things rattling around. I hope the customer wasnít standing by as you giggled.

mtbr member
    only way to fix that problem is to sleeve the block or get a billet block. after about 650 hp your pushing the limits with the stock block.

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Add lots of air to fuel and you get a blowtorch. That'll melt a piston, or four.

Speaking of carbon on the backside of valves... Have you seen what direct injection does? Especially on Mini Cooper motors. Good Gawd, what a mess! They actually make adapters to blast the valves with walnut shells to clean them.

mtbr member
    That's an issue with a lot direct injection. My buddy at BMW was showing me pics.

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    That's an issue with a lot direct injection. My buddy at BMW was showing me pics.
    The mini is made by BMW and you're right it is a by product of DI.

mtbr member
    Holey smokes! I was going to ask if that was from oil starvation. Kinda looks like a two stroke used by someone that doesn't know you're supposed to add oil to the gas only 10 times worse. You'd think oil ways & pressure would be a priority when jacking up boost and compression.

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Good stuff in this thread. Keep them coming.

Chuck, canít wait to see what FJ you end up with and what engine swap you do. Maybe do a thread on that purchase and build.
    I'll definitely let you guys know if/when I start down that path. Gotta find the right truck first. If it's too clean and original (which is the direction I'm leaning), it'll probably stay stock. These things are starting to be worth bucks. Especially, in original condition.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Time Attack car need some a fresh motor
    W2W car needs windshield
    Daily Jeep has a leaking oil cooler
    Van needs a motor mount

I need to get wrenching

mtbr member
    What time attack cars do you have?

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Quote Originally Posted by terrasmak View Post
    Time Attack car need some a fresh motor
    W2W car needs windshield
    Daily Jeep has a leaking oil cooler
    Van needs a motor mount

I need to get wrenching
    Dude! I was thinking this was some modern, beat, Hippy, Stoner, Gearhead poetry. Was gonna grab a cup of Joe, sit back and read some more. Keep it coming.

mtbr member
    Lol!
    Yeah, what's the next verse?

Upcyclist
    Getting ready to change out my AF and O2 sensors tomorrow, and the one thing that really freaks me out is breaking a stud. There's lots of reports of rusty nuts on these old Tacos, but mine looked pretty good, maybe because it's a Cali truck. Then you see pics like the one below, which looks nicer than mine, with a broken stud. It's like a gamble; truck's not running too bad and I could leave it alone, or it could be an easy deal and I'll get better mpgs, but if I bust something trying to make it better I'm SOL!

Any tips other than soaking with PB Blaster? They're only supposed to be on there with 14 ft lbs, so it shouldn't take much to break them loose.

Wrenching on cars.-o2.jpg

mtbr member
    The 02 sensors I've ever dealt with thread directly in and the books state to change them with the vehicle warm/hot. I've not seen them bolted in like that before. If I were concerned with snapping the stud I'd spray'em up days before hand and a couple times. I'd tap the stud and nut (down) fairly hard with a hammer in an attempt to break any corrisive bonding. Those are my only tricks. If I felt like I might snap the stud off I'd probably resort to cutting the nut off instead. Cold chisel, dremel, and sawzall have all worked for me in the past.

Upcyclist
    Thanks Whale! I think I'm probably just a little paranoid after seeing that one pic, lol! When I first looked the other day I was like "no problem". That happens when you browse too many how-to pages on the web. I'll just refrain from sticking a breaker bar on there if they don't come off easily. I sprayed them down the other day, will do it again in the AM. Maybe I'll pick up one of those mini torches if they're giving me trouble.

mtbr member
    I think I'm probably just a little paranoid after seeing that one pic, lol! When I first looked the other day I was like "no problem". That happens when you browse too many how-to pages on the web.
    I do the same damn thing. Over think/stress the details when it's my wallet and property. That stud & nut does look really clean to have snapped the other side though. Thousands of heat cycles and ya never know.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    What time attack cars do you have?
    350z for Time Attack , motor is tired and I have a vortech supercharger that needs ya be installed.

The other car is a neon for chumpcar

350z for Time Attack , motor is tired and I have a vortech supercharger that needs ya be installed.

Fun car.

Another fun car. Amazing how much pep those little Neons have. Had one for a loaner car from Toyota back in 1998 when I was having a recall head gasket done on a 4-Runner.

Co Springs

Spent some time on the Infiniti forums when I had an early G35 6MT. It was fun but mostly just a looker.
    * No wrenching for me although I farmed it out for an OEM clutch/flywheel job at 109,000 miles. I did an aftermarket intake and a door window motor but that car was major league trouble-free. Rarity for any problems by almost all owners.
    A bit too heavy for it's own good but bullet-poof VQ motor, and went through winters here well considering a 2x rwd.
    That almost perfect balance of f/r weight was a real benefit.

I'll bet the 350z is a blast if it's more athletic. Lots of member's went whole-hog on big builds and turbo/s but it seemed buying a fast car was a better proposition for most that weren't daily wrencher-gearheads with $$$ to get them ripping.

I loved the look of that gunmetal color I had and did the wheels up in a similar color. Handling a road hugging was superb and it offered a nice ride for sporty little thing.
    Last edited by bachman1961; 02-26-2019 at 02:48 AM.
    bachman must spread some Reputation around before giving it to himself again. :madman:

mtbr member
    I have a 2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU and although it's very wrenchable, it's still not like the old days where a decent set of tools and a Chilton's manual was all you needed.
    AreBee

mtbr member
    I had to go buy more tools for my old truck. 90% of my tools are metric. had to get several different standard wrenches. Oh no, I have to go but more tools.... darn.

Quote Originally Posted by Arebee View Post
    I have a 2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU and although it's very wrenchable, it's still not like the old days where a decent set of tools and a Chilton's manual was all you needed.
    The good old days. Now itís YouTube videos and scratching your head.

mtbr member
    My current and last van have had a mix of metric and standard. Man that's aggravating. Playing size roulette all day. I can typically guess size on all types of fasteners just by looking at them. That goes out the window when the standards are mixed, really slows you down.

mtbr member
    I always hated the GM 15mm. there is no standard equivalent. If you have a GM get a 6 point 15mm box wrench. you'll need it. I always liked installing parts that came with their own special tools. too bad I had to leave them with the shop. but some were so specific I would have no use for them. I installed a Akrapovic exhaust on an Audi R8 GT and it came with titanium tools for their special bolts.

mtbr member
    I always hated the GM 15mm. there is no standard equivalent. If you have a GM get a 6 point 15mm box wrench. you'll need it. I always liked installing parts that came with their own special tools. too bad I had to leave them with the shop. but some were so specific I would have no use for them. I installed a Akrapovic exhaust on an Audi R8 GT and it came with titanium tools for their special bolts.
    I was thinking about what a pain in the ass special tools are!

I had to fashion a tool out of a 17MM hex socket a 17MM box wrench and some duct tape just to change my transmission fluid in my jeep. The exhaust didn't allow enough room to get a socket wrench and socket into the drain plug. So I bought a cheap set of hex sockets and popped the 17MM insert out with a hammer and punch. I then put a sliver of duct tape around the middle of the insert so it wouldn't fall through the box wrench and it worked like a charm.
    AreBee

Quote Originally Posted by Arebee View Post
    I was thinking about what a pain in the ass special tools are!

I had to fashion a tool out of a 17MM hex socket a 17MM box wrench and some duct tape just to change my transmission fluid in my jeep. The exhaust didn't allow enough room to get a socket wrench and socket into the drain plug. So I bought a cheap set of hex sockets and popped the 17MM insert out with a hammer and punch. I then put a sliver of duct tape around the middle of the insert so it wouldn't fall through the box wrench and it worked like a charm.
    Good MacGyver skills.

Upcyclist
    I do the same damn thing. Over think/stress the details when it's my wallet and property. That stud & nut does look really clean to have snapped the other side though. Thousands of heat cycles and ya never know.
    He could've hamfisted it right off, I've done some stuff like that myself, lol!

Well, I decided not to mess with the o2 sensors, too many other things that could cause the codes I'm getting, and after some reading last night I think I need to do some other things, like a fuel system cleanse, and maybe test my old sensors with a multi meter. I read that Toyota is one of the only manufacturers that lists fuel system cleaning as a possible solution to some codes. I'm pretty sure I had a P0420 (bad cats) code at one point, even tho it's not showing now, so I'll definitely look into easy stuff before I start throwing parts at it. At least I have the OEM Denso sensors for when I do need to replace them. Here's the article:

https://www.autoserviceprofessional....420-DTC?Page=2

The thing that sorta put my mind at ease; I checked my mpgs, and they're right where they should be at ~24mpg. I filled up this morning, drove 48.5 miles, then topped off the tank with 1.97 gallons. 48.5 ų 1.97 = 24.6192893401

mtbr member
    looking at that pic of the 02 sensor. I hate those style nuts that hold that on there. basically they destroy the threads when you go to take them off. a lot of v band clamps and turbo bolts are that way.

Im also the "fleet mechanic" for my company other than doing everything else. I love when the truck comes back to the yard and its making a terrible noise. I ask how long has it been doing that? just since this morning. well its 230 now.

Wrenching on cars.-img_20190226_071737066_burst000_cover_top.jpg

Upcyclist
    ^^I don't know what that is, but I can tell it's broken.

looking at that pic of the 02 sensor. I hate those style nuts that hold that on there. basically they destroy the threads when you go to take them off.
    Maybe that's why the stud snapped off? I read in a post at Tacomaworld one guy saying that those are lock nuts put on by Toyota to make $$ off people who break them, but that seemed like an isolated indecent, nobody else said anything about them being hard to take off unless they're rusted.

I believe that is a bad Throwout Bearing.

mtbr member
    Nope. Just bad tensioner pulley. $8 part. Could have fixed it at the job site but they decided to drive 40 miles back to the yard. If the belt broke they would have driven it till it overheated.

mtbr member
    It's amazing the belt did stay on and the remnants of that pulley stayed in line. I bet that smelled good too.

mtbr member
    It probably made it home because they decided to pour 2 stroke oil all over it. That made a lovely mess. But the only reason it stayed on is it has a large washer on it keeping it in line. Only 3 ribs were still on the belt. The rest was wrapped around the fan clutch.

mtbr member
    It probably made it home because they decided to pour 2 stroke oil all over it.
    Lol!

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    I may have to turn in the man-card for what I did. Like a few here I grew up with wrenches and a nail bush, but these days it's just very difficult to get the round to-it and get'r done. So my '05 Nissan smoked some coils which seemed to set off a chain of events that led up to me paying a guy to fix my car! Oh the shame... however it is nice to go pick up the car and simply put a dent in the credit card. That is one of the reasons we work, right? to make life a little simpler?
    oops I wasn't clipped in

EAT MORE GRIME
    He could've hamfisted it right off, I've done some stuff like that myself, lol!

Well, I decided not to mess with the o2 sensors, too many other things that could cause the codes I'm getting, and after some reading last night I think I need to do some other things, like a fuel system cleanse, and maybe test my old sensors with a multi meter. I read that Toyota is one of the only manufacturers that lists fuel system cleaning as a possible solution to some codes. I'm pretty sure I had a P0420 (bad cats) code at one point, even tho it's not showing now, so I'll definitely look into easy stuff before I start throwing parts at it. At least I have the OEM Denso sensors for when I do need to replace them. Here's the article:

https://www.autoserviceprofessional....420-DTC?Page=2

The thing that sorta put my mind at ease; I checked my mpgs, and they're right where they should be at ~24mpg. I filled up this morning, drove 48.5 miles, then topped off the tank with 1.97 gallons. 48.5 ų 1.97 = 24.6192893401
    on my 4runner the af and o2 simply aged out (135,000 af coded heater circuit, and 142,000 o2 coded below efficiency) cats were fine

at those miles I suspected the sensors were just done....that was correct.

on replacement, the nuts themselves had to be chiseled off (new england salt) but the underlying studs were fine. chipped what -were- 12mm nuts, now 10.5mm off with tiny chisel, wire brush studs, new OEM sensors (costly but just work, unlike aftermarket which might not work) new gaskets new stainless OEM bolts, still working great now at 240,000 miles plus, same original cats, passes emissions easily no codes. lucky I only gas up at mobil maybe, or just luck the cats work and aren't broken or clogged

with toyota, use OEM a/f and o2 w/new nuts
    aftermarket is a total crapshoot unless it says DENSO
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

mtbr member
    over the weekend I found a new best friend. Guy has a ford truck junkyard in his back yard.
    Wrenching on cars.-img_20190308_095341845_hdr.jpg

got a set of long tube headers for $40. I think I might come back with a case of beer and some tools. see if I cant work out a deal for one of his kingpin HP dana 60's.

Wrenching on cars.-img_20190310_175348345.jpg

mtbr member
    Those 2 trucks look like they shouldn't be in a junk yard!

What's wrong with them?

mtbr member
    nothing. the orange one has a 6 cyl in it, the brown one has a 5.0HO. both have caprice front ends. both for sale. he pieces cars and trucks together and sells them.

What motor is in that 1970 Torino GT. Some had 428ís and the top dog was a 429. By the hood it looks like it could be a 428 car. Most had 351 Windsorís and Clevelandís. All are collectible these days. Especially since itís a GT package which I can tell for sure by the decal kit.

Headers for $40, score!

mtbr member
    It is a 428. It's all or nothing. I asked.

It is a 428. It's all or nothing. I asked.
    Nice!

mtbr member
    Tackled all 4 ball joints on my new(er) van today.
    I ended up renting a garage space with a lift to do it. Both were completely new experiences to me and I gotta say the lift was worth every penny.

The thing I was most worried about was getting it all apart and finding the press kit inadequate of pressing in/out my ball joints. Sure enough that's exactly what happened. The owner of the garage space fabbed up some fittings to make it work. Pain in the ass but saved the day.

I left my rotors on cuzz it's got new wheel bearing seals and a lot of extra work to pull them off. This worked out fine and I actually used my wheel to hold the assembly while I changed the joints. The guys there said it wouldn't work but thought it pretty clever when it did. However lifting the whole damn thing back in place and getting the nut started was a hurculean effort.

Up on the lift I got a good look at everything and she's in great shape! As an East coaster it always amazes how clean non-salt vehicles are.

New joints
    Wrenching on cars.-img_20190406_141119405.jpg

Shot of the workspace, up on the lift
    Wrenching on cars.-img_20190406_142727484.jpg

I've had a nock on start up and suspected either broken exhaust manifold bolts or a loose spark plug, two things these modular motors are known for. Whelp, sure enough 2 broken manifold bolts.
    This one and directly underneath.
    Wrenching on cars.-img_20190406_115903563.jpg

With that threaded hole in the head I had the owner of the shop help me fab a peice of steel to clamp down on the manifold.
    Wrenching on cars.-img_20190406_155934650.jpg
    Totally worked! At least for now. The professional fix is to replace the head which is thousands of $$.

So all in all I spent 4 hours there and it cost me $100.
    I'm super stoked on that and will definitely use this place again, great experience! I reckon I saved right around $800 and If the manifold fix lasts that's a couple thousand saved.

mtbr member
    Did the old exhaust manifold stud break off? It kind of looks like the hole is empty in the pic.

Nice easy fix though!

mtbr member
    Nice fix!

mtbr member
    Yeah they're both snapped off for sure. I'm guessing this happens from expansion/contraction? This is fairly common on the modular motors but thought Ford addressed it 2009 or something, guess not. Aluminum head and steel studs probably doesn't help either.

Good job, thatís quite an achievement. So how did you manage to rent a garage space? I didnít know that was a thing.

mtbr member
    I kinda knew it was a thing but had never seriously looked into it. Given the scope of the job and the fact that it's going to rain for the next 2.5 months here in Portland I simply googled it. Turns out there was one right around the corner from me and it's only $25 an hour with lift and an extra $5 an hour for use of the tools. Next I figured they would be booked forever on wknds but when I called he said he's wide open so I booked 10 AM this morning. Little intimidating going in there as I've never done this before and figured they'd all be garage rats which they kinda were. But after they saw I meant business and wasn't going to kill myself on the lift they all warmed up to me & were pretty cool. The owner of the place was super cool, really exceeded my expectations.

The ease of the lift was a revelation. For 25 bucks an hour I think I'll be doing a lot more maintenance stuff there. I used Gearhead Garage and hard to tell but looks like they might be a chain. I'd recommend any diy'r look into it. Even for something as simple as an oil change. Throw it on the lift and use one of those pro exstended catch basins. It was like a $1.50 for them to handle spent fluid, so worth it.

That is a win win for both parties. Did they watch you the whole time or let you work away in private? Assuming you also rented tools how do you know where they keep specific specialty tools?

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I kinda knew it was a thing but had never seriously looked into it. Given the scope of the job and the fact that it's going to rain for the next 2.5 months here in Portland I simply googled it. Turns out there was one right around the corner from me and it's only $25 an hour with lift and an extra $5 an hour for use of the tools. Next I figured they would be booked forever on wknds but when I called he said he's wide open so I booked 10 AM this morning. Little intimidating going in there as I've never done this before and figured they'd all be garage rats which they kinda were. But after they saw I meant business and wasn't going to kill myself on the lift they all warmed up to me & were pretty cool. The owner of the place was super cool, really exceeded my expectations.

The ease of the lift was a revelation. For 25 bucks an hour I think I'll be doing a lot more maintenance stuff there. I used Gearhead Garage and hard to tell but looks like they might be a chain. I'd recommend any diy'r look into it. Even for something as simple as an oil change. Throw it on the lift and use one of those pro exstended catch basins. It was like a $1.50 for them to handle spent fluid, so worth it.
    Wow, thanks for this helpful info. I am looking into it. Lifting car and tools are biggest barriers to me doing more DIY. At those prices, using it for DIY oil change makes sense.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    They let you work away for sure. He came around about every 45 min with one of the garage rats and looked into what you were doing. They asked if you needed any help and we're just genuinely supportive and curious about what you were working on as gearheads. They helped guide me in on the lift, set it up on the frame and made sure I was ok with it, got a quick lesson on how to use it and off I went.

Here's a front view of my station and the silver box, a cart on wheels, and bench space with vice was mine to use. Air tools with an overhead line too
    Wrenching on cars.-img_20190406_142737210.jpg.

They also had a free standing belt sander, welding station, etc. Common items nut & bolts, cotter pins etc too. The specialty tools he had in the store front and needed to ask for which I did. Because the press kit didn't work and had to wait while he fabbed up some fittings he didn't charge me the tool rental. The owner guy was great and again really exceeded my expectations. I agree win win and an asset to the community. I never leave reviews but did so on their FB page and told them as much.

mtbr member
    Since you never know where you find the answers you're looking for, I think I'll try here.

I have a "rattle" knocking coming from the front end, likely the driver's side, but can't tell if it's suspension or something maybe under the hood. Can hear it when driving at slow speed in about anything less than really smooth surfaces.

There is a hard clunk when the left wheel hits a driveway with the wheels turned right, but don't know if it's related. Different sounds.

Also, I feel like front end suspension work is beyond my expertise and shops just guess at what three problems are if they don't see something obvious.

It's an '06 Chrysler 300c and they are known for their underdeveloped for ends.
    Any ideas?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    That could be many things. With front end clunks there are several parts that when totally fail could loose your front tire and potentially very dangerous. Either get under there and start yanking on stuff until you find play in something or take it to a competent mechanic. A shot in the dark if you're not feeling it in the steering wheel could be a worn out strut tower/shock bushing or sway bar bushing.

They let you work away for sure. He came around about every 45 min with one of the garage rats and looked into what you were doing. They asked if you needed any help and we're just genuinely supportive and curious about what you were working on as gearheads. They helped guide me in on the lift, set it up on the frame and made sure I was ok with it, got a quick lesson on how to use it and off I went.

Here's a front view of my station and the silver box, a cart on wheels, and bench space with vice was mine to use. Air tools with an overhead line too

Name:	IMG_20190406_142737210.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	212.8 KB 
ID:	1245823.

They also had a free standing belt sander, welding station, etc. Common items nut & bolts, cotter pins etc too. The specialty tools he had in the store front and needed to ask for which I did. Because the press kit didn't work and had to wait while he fabbed up some fittings he didn't charge me the tool rental. The owner guy was great and again really exceeded my expectations. I agree win win and an asset to the community. I never leave reviews but did so on their FB page and told them as much.
    Sounds like a supportive top notch company. I was picturing a number of mechanics looking over your shoulder being more of a nuisance than a help.

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Quote Originally Posted by JimF777 View Post
    Since you never know where you find the answers you're looking for, I think I'll try here.

I have a "rattle" knocking coming from the front end, likely the driver's side, but can't tell if it's suspension or something maybe under the hood. Can hear it when driving at slow speed in about anything less than really smooth surfaces.

There is a hard clunk when the left wheel hits a driveway with the wheels turned right, but don't know if it's related. Different sounds.

Also, I feel like front end suspension work is beyond my expertise and shops just guess at what three problems are if they don't see something obvious.

It's an '06 Chrysler 300c and they are known for their underdeveloped for ends.
    Any ideas?

What you describe sounds most like lower control arm bushings to me. On broken pavement, itíll sound like a rattle and in transitions more of a clunk. You more than likely wonít feel much in the steering wheel either.

mtbr member
    Nope, I don't. If on the broken pavement when that rattle is going, if I were to weight the suspension by applying a bit of brake, should it cease? It doesn't which is why I was thinking it was something other than suspension.

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Quote Originally Posted by JimF777 View Post
    Nope, I don't. If on the broken pavement when that rattle is going, if I were to weight the suspension by applying a bit of brake, should it cease? It doesn't which is why I was thinking it was something other than suspension.
    Braking shouldn't really change anything (depending on ho bad the road surface is). Where are you? IIRC, you're in the NorthBay aren't you?

PM me if you would like.

mtbr member
    Braking shouldn't really change anything (depending on ho bad the road surface is). Where are you? IIRC, you're in the NorthBay aren't you?

PM me if you would like.
    Yup, north Bay. If you know the areas, you know the roads.

mtbr member
    That could be many things. With front end clunks there are several parts that when totally fail could loose your front tire and potentially very dangerous. Either get under there and start yanking on stuff until you find play in something or take it to a competent mechanic. A shot in the dark if you're not feeling it in the steering wheel could be a worn out strut tower/shock bushing or sway bar bushing.
    Thankfully, or not, the struts just got replaced on all four corners.

mtbr member
    I was working on my transfer case on my f250 today. I needed a 1 5/16 socket thin wall to pull the output shaft yoke to replace the seal. nobody had one. 1 5/16 is a 34mm roughly. oreily had one. drove down to pick it up. got under my truck and WTF doesn't fit. the nearest store to my house is 15 miles away. time for a beer.

Damn SOB
    Wrenching on cars.-img_20190413_171201727_burst000_cover_top.jpg

NDD
    mtbr member
    I was working on my transfer case on my f250 today. I needed a 1 5/16 socket thin wall to pull the output shaft yoke to replace the seal. nobody had one. 1 5/16 is a 34mm roughly. oreily had one. drove down to pick it up. got under my truck and WTF doesn't fit. the nearest store to my house is 15 miles away. time for a beer.

Damn SOB

Name:	IMG_20190413_171201727_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	111.8 KB 
ID:	1246791
    I have had some bad experiences with oreilly in the past with getting a TPS that was broken out of the box and getting a set of Torx bits that stripped on the first time using them. Mostly go to NAPA now and have had better results.

dang

mtbr member
    Oh man, I'd like to think I would've caught that. Hate getting stymied mid project, feel your pain on that one.

mtbr member
    Yea nothing worse then going to get a part or tool, crawl under the truck and wtf

There is a heavy truck and equipment Napa a little further down the road. I like Napa but they are almost double the price for the same parts. If I don't need it right now I get parts from rock Auto. What's nice is they give the parts dimensions in most cases.

mtbr member
    Distributor went out on one of my older trucks. How many people know how to use or what these things are anymore?

Wrenching on cars.-img_20190418_122714284.jpg

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    ^^^ Haha. Pick me, pick me!

mtbr member
    Ye ole timing light. I found I could set timing by ear or feel as good or better. Before the pic loaded I thought it'd be a set of points. Heck my new van has a coil for every spark plug right on top. Soon enough I won't be able to work on any of this stuff

* Oh the top pic is points

mtbr member
    ^^^ Haha. Pick me, pick me!
    Can you answer in the form of a question?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast