Is it worth driving to Bryce Canyon, or Monument Valley from Page, AZ?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Is it worth driving to Bryce Canyon, or Monument Valley from Page, AZ?

Have a family trip to Arizona planned for first week in October, Wife and 8 year old son:

Grand Canyon already laid out.
    Another part of trip will be in Page, Az for 2-4 nights, have flexibility.

I can plan enough to do in the Page area already but am wondering if I should instead include a day to drive from Page to Bryce Canyon, and another day to drive out to Monument Valley for a tour.

Cannot do extreme stuff due to wife and 8 year old son, Bryce sounds more accessible than say Zion, but Monument Valley total unknown to me except for the classic John Ford Westerns.

Thank you!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I think it's about a 2.5 hour drive from Page to Bryce. Imo it is very much worth the drive, yes. Monument valley is pretty neat but more a passive experience & wouldn't choose it over Bryce. Keep in mind Bryce has the second clearest atmosphere in the western hemisphere. If you can work checking out the night sky into the trip it's pretty amazing. If you find yourself in the Jerome area that's a pretty neat town too.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post
    I think it's about a 2.5 hour drive from Page to Bryce. Imo it is very much worth the drive, yes. Monument valley is pretty neat but more a passive experience & wouldn't choose it over Bryce. Keep in mind Bryce has the second clearest atmosphere in the western hemisphere. If you can work checking out the night sky into the trip it's pretty amazing. If you find yourself in the Jerome area that's a pretty neat town too.
    Thanks so much for the feedback. My wife and son are into astronomy, and have their eclipse glasses ready for later this month, I think they will love that opportunity at Bryce if we can make it work.

I spoke with a friend of mine this afternoon who lived in AZ for several years and he told me that I would see some of what is at Monument Valley while at Sedona, but smaller scale. He didn't think it was a trip out there by itself, but worth it if heading to Moab, or Arches, etc.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post
    I had to reply again. I talked with my friend about Bryce also, changed our plans and are going to stay at a place in Zion and do Bryce and Zion from there, and skip the rafting and antelope canyon at Page.

My wife is very interested in going out to Bryce at night for the stars, should be an awesome trip.

Meatbomb
    Quote Originally Posted by cjsb View Post
    Have a family trip to Arizona planned for first week in October, Wife and 8 year old son:

Grand Canyon already laid out.
    Another part of trip will be in Page, Az for 2-4 nights, have flexibility.

I can plan enough to do in the Page area already but am wondering if I should instead include a day to drive from Page to Bryce Canyon, and another day to drive out to Monument Valley for a tour.

Cannot do extreme stuff due to wife and 8 year old son, Bryce sounds more accessible than say Zion, but Monument Valley total unknown to me except for the classic John Ford Westerns.

Thank you!

Where are you tripping from and how are you traveling? You may be able to make Monument Valley a part of your travel plans.

I hope you plan a Lake Powell tour boat ride as a part of your Page stay!

mtbr member
    The narrows in Zion blow away antelope imo. Zion is canyoneering ground zero. You can definitely find an antelope esque slot canyon to explore there and again the narrows or "subway" is absolutely spectacular. Zion is some gorgeous country.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    Where are you tripping from and how are you traveling? You may be able to make Monument Valley a part of your travel plans.

I hope you plan a Lake Powell tour boat ride as a part of your Page stay!
    Plans have shifted, thanks!

Meatbomb
    Not the best representation but a nice sight you will see om a tour ride....... Hope you like Germans and Japanese
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Is it worth driving to Bryce Canyon, or Monument Valley from Page, AZ?-last-chance-2.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    Not the best representation but a nice sight you will see om a tour ride....... Hope you like Germans and Japanese
    We likes all peoples, but trip is now Grand Canyon, Sedona, Bryce, and Zion.

Maaaaan
    Brian Head and Zion over Bryce.

If you get the time and haven't been there, check out Walnut Canyon National Monument.
    There are great Indian ruins there.

Sunset Crater etc around Flagstaff very cool place to picnic and hike too.
    Communist Party Member Since 1917.

mtbr member
    Bryce is awesome!! Lots to see, hike. Right outside of Bryce is Brianhead. Awesome riding there if you have time. Even Thunder Mountain trail right outside of Bryce is super!

mtbr member
    Bryce is stunning at night with a full moon. It's a sight I will never ever forget. Zion is awesome too and I camped out in the park and hiked just about all the trails.
    Current ride(s) 2011 Santa Cruz Blur LT and a Norco Threshold SL with Di2

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Thanks for the recommendations, we had an amazing family vacation. We did Grand Canyon (South Rim, South Kaibab), a day in Flagstaff at: Humphreys Peak & Walnut Canyon, Zion, Bryce, back to Zion, Grand Canyon North Rim and Phoenix. 1450 miles on the rental Armada.

My favorites were Grand Canyon and Bryce. Zion is incredible but you need to be more savvy to beat crowds. Bryce is really unusual and beautiful. An odd event when we were there: a model/stripper was doing phot shoots on the hoodoos. When we were
    hiking up a trail I looked up at the bend and there stood before me 2'glorious ass cheeks in a thong. She was quite built and my 8 year old starting laughing out loud, "Mommy, look at her she is wearing her underwear and we can see her butt." Not necessarily the memory one expects.

Anyway, we are going to do either Phantom Ranch or Bryce Lodge next year, whichever we can reserve.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk