Make America Bike Again

The Work Sucked Today Thread

work sucked today
    Gallia est omnis divisa in partes tres: quod Belgiae, quod Celtae, et quod Aquitainae.

Pinehurst NC
    Like 1st world sucked, or like my patient almost died sucked?
    ------------------------------------------------------
    "Loud hubs save lives!"

Bicycles aren't motorized
    Got off work early today, no suckage.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Don't Surf View Post
    Like 1st world sucked, or like my patient almost died sucked?
    yeah, so my wife's last work shift really sucked. patient almost died, and probably will wind up dying later (she just delayed it some), if it's not already dead, she worked 6hrs late to do the surgery because the surgeon outright refused to come in and do his job.

Me? I don't have a job...so yeah, work sucks. However at least I have an interview on Monday, so that's progress.

mtbr member
    Sometimes tired, or bored, but never sucks. Love what I do
    Round and round we go

Bikesexual
    Finished early as well! Always nice on a Friday.
    The Orange Fleet:

'16 SC Heckler
    '14 All City MMD
    '12 Kona Unit Rigid

Log off and go ride!
    Jul 2003
    You need to keep going to work. Your work pays the taxes that funds my pensions, so I don't have to work. Work harder, I need a new bike.
    So many trails... so little time...

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Work no sucky, early in early out. Weather sucky.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

Meatbomb
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post

Me? I don't have a job...so yeah, work sucks. However at least I have an interview on Monday, so that's progress.
    Good luck. It took me 6 months to get another job after getting layed off and I had to take a huge cut in pay but at least I'm l making the bills.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dave54 View Post
    You need to keep going to work. Your work pays the taxes that funds my pensions, so I don't have to work. Work harder, I need a new bike.
    A post that is intended to demean anyone not in your specific demographic, neat!

mtbr member
    Oh yea, sucky work, my work is work 50% of the time, it's awesome 25% of the time, and it kinda sucks 15% of the time, the other 6 minutes per hour? Well, I'm not sure how to classify that time.

Cycologist
    Left before 3:00 and went for a two hour ride!
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh My Sack! View Post
    Remember, there's always quilting and knitting if pedalling becomes too tough.

One ring to mash them all
    10 km training hike ERRRR strategy session this morning with my customer. Did not suck.

Bonus: One of the trails we took, which I have not been on for over a year, has brand new bermed switch backs replacing what used to be a fall line jeep road. I may have a new favorite after-work MTB ride.
    A plateau is the highest form of flattery.

^ at&t?
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

searchin for Animal Chin
    Oh will have to remember this thread! Might post daily!
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    some weird crazed desert dweller.

^ at&t?
    Missing Trails

Afric Pepperbird
    Hannity got ass f*cked by a clown!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Its so nice to be retired.

Bikesexual
    Quote Originally Posted by John Kuhl View Post
    Its so nice to be retired.
    Jealous!
    The Orange Fleet:

'16 SC Heckler
    '14 All City MMD
    '12 Kona Unit Rigid

Quote Originally Posted by the one ring View Post
    Missing Trails
    Good to hear some of it is still open.

mtbr member
    having to go to work sucks but the actual job is not that bad and if I really wanted to I could work a lot less.

mtbr member
    Work didn't suck today, it's Saturday...

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    Good luck. It took me 6 months to get another job after getting layed off and I had to take a huge cut in pay but at least I'm l making the bills.
    I have been underemployed most of my adult life. Taking jobs just because they were available and I needed the income.

Right now, wife earns enough so I don't HAVE to work, so I am holding out and making a stronger push for real permanent, full time work with benefits. Have landted more interviews for such jobs in the past 6mo than I have in the previous several years, so that is good. Eventually one of them will pan out. It is just super competitive (I have often been competing for one position with a minimum of 200 others) and most of those shitty jobs I have had in the past are not doing my any favors whatsoever (which is contrary to most of the advice I have received in my life on the situation).

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Not helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by EugeneTheJeep View Post
    Oh will have to remember this thread! Might post daily!
    There it is.
    What's wrong with him??

Not helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by dirt farmer View Post
    Hannity got ass f*cked by a clown!
    Links?
    What's wrong with him??

Upcyclist
    If I'm having a bad day at work it's usually because I've forgotten how good I have it on the non-sucky days...

...or I have the trots or something.
    Cool heads prevail

Meatbomb
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Work Sucked Today Thread-leo.jpg  

The Work Sucked Today Thread-71a4b1a9-687d-46cd-bb48-157a3f927561.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Last week I had a sucky night job. Worked till 8 pm. ( event photographer) Forced to sit at a back table and eat petite filet mignon, 2 giant stuffed shrimp, roasted veggies n potatoes too. Client insisted I have some wine, merlot, not even a good cab. Really sucky. And got OT for 3.5 hrs. Such a chore. The really sucky part, room filled with lots of attractive, slightly tippy women who love to have their photo taken, just a drag. Cheers.

Sounds brutal.

Cycologist
    yeah, no dessert!

mtbr member
    Loved my job when I worked. Am now permanently unemployed. It's quite nice!

mtbr member
    For the most part I like my work. Different locations, and different problems keep it interesting. Initially I learned a lot of valuable skills and my company pays for all my cert/training. Get a hell of deal on a nice apt (in a city with a crazy rental market), buy any tools I want, $500 a month for a vehicle...yada yada. Lately though, I've felt the desire for greener pastures. The results I can produce depend greatly on the competency of a number of other players. Many of whom I have no to little control over. In the last 5 years that level of competence has gone in the toilet which can become very frustrating. Once upon a time I had a small contracting business where my work and my work solely spoke for itself. Looking to get back to that within a year or so.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

Not helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by jackbombay View Post
    Well, I'm not sure how to classify that time.
    Break time?
    What's wrong with him??

mtbr member
    Work kinda sucked last night, high winds meant we encountered a couple of fallen trees only about a km from our change-over point. This was taken when we'd stopped after ploughing through a much bigger one. Luckily a couple of locals came out of the house with a chainsaw and helped us get moving again.

The Work Sucked Today Thread-tree1.jpg

I guess it didn't suck too bad as I earned a couple of hours OT, only really bad thing is I was wearing shorts and my legs got all scratched up from the blackberry growing beside the track!

^ Ever hit a cow?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by leeboh View Post
    Last week I had a sucky night job. Worked till 8 pm.
    I start work 1/2 hour before you left that night. 'Night job' does not mean what you think it means.
    I will suffer no butt-hurt fools!

mtbr member
    ^ Ever hit a cow?
    Plenty.

Quote Originally Posted by David R View Post
    Plenty.
    Seriously? I was joking. What about Moose, Elk and / or anything else of substance? And who gets to cleanup the mess off the front of the train afterwards?

The Work Sucked Today Thread-wogblytdi9tgw75dou42dlmoxagnacjiw1kbm0vfft0.jpg

mtbr member
    Seriously? I was joking. What about Moose, Elk and / or anything else of substance? And who gets to cleanup the mess off the front of the train afterwards?
    No moose/elk in my part of the world, but plenty of poorly fenced paddocks so livestock wandering on the tracks isn't entirely uncommon. Sometimes the farmer will come and clean it up, sometimes it just stays there. Kinda depends if it goes under or if it just gets bumped off to the sides. In the past certain guys have occasionally returned from a shift with a bit of fresh venison...

Cycologist
    Quote Originally Posted by David R View Post
    No moose/elk in my part of the world, but plenty of poorly fenced paddocks so livestock wandering on the tracks isn't entirely uncommon. Sometimes the farmer will come and clean it up, sometimes it just stays there. Kinda depends if it goes under or if it just gets bumped off to the sides. In the past certain guys have occasionally returned from a shift with a bit of fresh venison...
    So there must be times when you come around a curve and find a big tree laying across the tracks without enough time to stop? I guess the mass of the train is enough to bust through it usually?

mtbr member
    Come around a curve? There's one on the track two miles ahead, they still might not stop in time.

While there is plenty of mass in a train, there is no guarantee it will bust through a sizeable tree unharmed. Wood is dense. A 2ft diameter hardwood can weigh 20,000Lbs. The oaks in my yard are 4-5ft in diameter. Even a 440,000lbs diesel electric engine can receive damage to the front carriage, or the tree may simply dislodge the rail.

Signals are sent through the rails that reveal when something is maintaining contact with them. The best defense is finding out about downfall and clearing it before a set is due on the track.
    I will suffer no butt-hurt fools!

Bikesexual
    ^^that has to be a fun job!
    The Orange Fleet:

'16 SC Heckler
    '14 All City MMD
    '12 Kona Unit Rigid

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chazpat View Post
    So there must be times when you come around a curve and find a big tree laying across the tracks without enough time to stop? I guess the mass of the train is enough to bust through it usually?
    Yeah we "busted through" one before we stopped where I took the pic of the one on the track ahead of us. While it didn't do any damage to the cab it was leaning on the train and could have damaged brake rigging, air hoses or potentially even lifted off a wheel if we just kept going past it. Branches coming through the windows are probably the biggest concern, I hit the deck before we went through it even though it wasn't huge!

Flamingtaco there's no signals where I am [aside from inside station limits], it's all what I think the US guys refer to as "dark territory".

Co Springs
    On the scale of suckage, I'm pegging the needle if only for the fact of Day One back to the grind after a 10 day vacation, spending time with some family here and a lot of birthdays piled up (4 within two weeks) then a few days get-a-way to Durango, Ouray and Telluride.

Okay, honestly more suckage now looking at the calendar to see weeks and weeks of work schedule before my next 'break'. Our challenge here is five of us have 10 + weeks a year for PTO so the 52 week cycle gets clogged up pretty darn good.

On a work related non-suck, three of us employees are planning a 3 day two nighter on the bicycles, my first real bike pack adventure!
    In the Middle Ages, the biggest mistake was not putting on your armor because you were 'just going down to the corner.'

Not helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by the one ring View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	woGBLytdi9tGw75dou42DlmOXAGnacjIw1kBM0VFft0.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	57.1 KB 
ID:	1192595
    Lol, that's great! 👍
    What's wrong with him??

Cycologist
    My job is one that varies from being way overloaded and putting in crazy hours to being really slow with no work to do. We're now in a nothing to do phase, summers are usually slow, which is good 'cause I can cut out early and go ride. At the moment, we're waiting for a greenlight on a media event for May first, rumored that it will be a go. But the project is already wwaaaaay behind schedule, we should have started weeks ago but this client is known for completely blowing off any type of deadline, though the event date is unmovable. Then they pay huge rush charges. I've done what I can on the project but we're missing 90% of the criteria so I can't really do anymore until we get more info.

Co Springs
    My job is one that varies from being way overloaded and putting in crazy hours to being really slow with no work to do. We're now in a nothing to do phase, summers are usually slow, which is good 'cause I can cut out early and go ride. At the moment, we're waiting for a greenlight on a media event for May first, rumored that it will be a go. But the project is already wwaaaaay behind schedule, we should have started weeks ago but this client is known for completely blowing off any type of deadline, though the event date is unmovable. Then they pay huge rush charges. I've done what I can on the project but we're missing 90% of the criteria so I can't really do anymore until we get more info.
    + +

Go rIDe !!
    Hope it ain't so windy where you are at this time. I consider it un-ridable here now... durned wind. 50 + gusts all last night and today, maybe tapering off later Saturday.
    In the Middle Ages, the biggest mistake was not putting on your armor because you were 'just going down to the corner.'

Quote Originally Posted by bachman1961 View Post
    + +

Go rIDe !!
    Hope it ain't so windy where you are at this time. I consider it un-ridable here now... durned wind. 50 + gusts all last night and today, maybe tapering off later Saturday.
    Yep, I just posted that same weather scenario in the Springtime thread. Im 2 hours north of you.

Bikesexual
    I'm working late today, so it blows!
    The Orange Fleet:

'16 SC Heckler
    '14 All City MMD
    '12 Kona Unit Rigid

Bicycles aren't motorized
    I'm between projects so it doesn't suck right now. Next week will suck.

Cycologist
    + +

Go rIDe !!
    Well, project is a go, I was the last to leave the office. Looks like I'll be spending some time Sunday finishing up the next round so it can be presented Monday morning.

Co Springs
    Well, project is a go, I was the last to leave the office. Looks like I'll be spending some time Sunday finishing up the next round so it can be presented Monday morning.
    Oops,, sorry. I think I jinxed it.

Cycologist
    Oops,, sorry. I think I jinxed it.

That's ok, I got a ride in today and it's supposed to rain tomorrow anyway.

mtbr member
    The job sucks, the pay is okay, the hours are good with some flexibility. See the boss twice in a month usually and that's for 5 minutes.

It makes the time outside of work that much sweeter.

Not helpful.
    I gave love a chance and it shit back in my face.

And I just quit my job makin' toothpicks out of logs.

You know it's gettin' thin when your friends turn you in.

Better sock away your bread, there's worse times ahead.

I don't want it, not today, no no.

I don't need it, so take it away, yeah!

Flowers make me sneeze and prayin' hurts my knees.

Funerals make me cry and I don't wanna die.

Gettin' high's a gas, but stayin' high, I'll pass.

Goin' to school's alright but teachers are uptight.

Montrose
    "I Don't Want It"
    What's wrong with him??

Rabid Lana fan
    Time to make the donuts.
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt I here
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt II here

mtbr member
    Name:  dd0420cb27736515a0ad785c3689e8d2.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  26.8 KB

today was a great day. It rained for what seems like the first time in 100 years. its nice out and everything smells like rain. I have to be at work at 4am, but I really didnt get started doing anything till 10am. then I was all done at noon. I really dont work that much, but when there is a problem and I have to do real actual work my normal 5 hour day becomes a 14 hour day several days in a row.

however yesterday was complete misery. All the equipment broke. normally I have to fix the general maint stuff, but I don't have the tools to pull the engine on the riding mowers. The stator needed to be replaced. We need the mower today and tomorrow but the shop is 5 days out. Now we have to rent a mower and hopefully the crew does not break the rental. The truck had a flat tire at the dump and somehow they crew "lost" the spare. Nothing. I was at work from 4am to 6pm.
    Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature. It will never fail you.
    Frank Lloyd Wright

Cycologist
    One of my coworkers once said, "if I had a dollar for every hour I goofed off at work, I could retire!"

mtbr member
    I don't like my job - I don't like the people I work with. I've applied to 298 jobs with 2 interviews and 0 offers. But, fortunately, I've got MTBR to pull me through the hard times.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by azimiut View Post
    Name:  dd0420cb27736515a0ad785c3689e8d2.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  26.8 KB

I have to be at work at 4am, but I really didnt get started doing anything till 10am. then I was all done at noon. I really dont work that much, but when there is a problem and I have to do real actual work my normal 5 hour day becomes a 14 hour day several days in a row.
    That sounds a lot like my job except the 4AM thing. Also the work 14 hours thing. The 5 hour day and not doing any actual work part sounds identical though.

Bikesexual
    Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post
    That sounds a lot like my job except the 4AM thing. Also the work 14 hours thing. The 5 hour day and not doing any actual work part sounds identical though.
    Lol
    The Orange Fleet:

'16 SC Heckler
    '14 All City MMD
    '12 Kona Unit Rigid

Not helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCTJ View Post
    I don't like my job - I don't like the people I work with. I've applied to 298 jobs with 2 interviews and 0 offers. But, fortunately, I've got MTBR to pull me through the hard times.
    Sign up for mtbr's post rewards program. .02 cents per post. Dirt Junkie is *this close* to retirement.
    What's wrong with him??

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BCTJ View Post
    I've applied to 298 jobs with 2 interviews and 0 offers.
    That's crazy. May I ask what you do and how old you are?

Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    Sign up for mtbr's post rewards program. .02 cents per post. Dirt Junkie is *this close* to retirement.
    Sounds like being in a salaried job. So much extra effort (posts in OC) that you don't get paid for.

SPECIALizED
    My job only sucks when they load my truck like this.

Upcyclist
    ^^If you've ever found a 26x2.8 DHF rolling around out of it's package, it was probably mine.
    Cool heads prevail

SPECIALizED
    Quote Originally Posted by Cornfield View Post
    ^^If you've ever found a 26x2.8 DHF rolling around out of it's package, it was probably mine.
    That was yours? I already mounted it up! Never mind. You said 26.

Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    (!) < < keep my retirement out if this. Besides if you were paying attention youd know 15K or so of those posts were mistakingly added during the 2012 or so site screw up.

Upcyclist
    Quote Originally Posted by UPSed View Post
    That was yours? I already mounted it up! Never mind. You said 26.
    I used the money and bought a 29x2.5 DHF WT for another bike. One cannot have too many Minions!
    Cool heads prevail

Give'er!
    How the **** does a basket...designed to be lifted by the crane to carry metal...get painted and then loaded with metal without anyone noticing that it was only like a 1/4 welded? I picked it up a few inches off the floor while loaded with HSS and kinda raised an eyebrow when the thing buckled inward at an obnoxious angle. I put it back down and marvelled in disbelief. Note to self: inspect baskets before moving them! O_o

the discerning hooligan
    Name:  they-lied-hard-work-has-killed-lots-of-people.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  21.9 KB

mtbr member
    I'll post pics of my day. One of the time clocks(irrigation controllers) at work went down. 117 stations. So now they each need to be watered manually. Luckily I can run 4 at a time. I got there at 3 am. It's an hour drive to the site for me. So guess what time I got up.

Plus each valve box has spiders, scorpions, bees, snakes or all of the above.

mtbr member
    Live buried propane line on my jobsite, not on my plans, and not marked. Although I was able to "locate" it with the mini ex...

Kick Start My Heart
    Received a text @ 6:01 AM from my boss that the management team needs to have a meeting about expense control.
    That just set my day up for success!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Make America Bike Again
    This is just a taste of what I have to deal with at work:

Hello Nico,

I have many more questions for you, than you do for me.

You ask why our company needs your auto transport invoice, in order to pay it and get the auto released to the customer. Isn't it obvious? Or did you instead charge the customer directly for the auto transport?

I told your company that I never received the invoice to pay for the transportation. Your company then provided the invoice, I paid it yesterday, and then you asked why I needed the invoice to pay? I'm sorry, I don't understand why you would ask that. I have to say that I'm not too impressed with the organization of this particular auto clearance and delivery. We are paying you to help the customer obtain their auto. If there are clearance and/or delivery issues, we and the customer need to know about those issues both clearly and immediately. That is your responsibility.

The auto supposedly arrived in Germany April 4th, almost 6 weeks ago. How long has the car sat there waiting for our payment, for an invoice we never received? This is all a bit hard to believe.

You'll see the wire come into your bank today or tomorrow.
    Gallia est omnis divisa in partes tres: quod Belgiae, quod Celtae, et quod Aquitainae.

Quote Originally Posted by azimiut View Post
    I'll post pics of my day. One of the time clocks(irrigation controllers) at work went down. 117 stations. So now they each need to be watered manually. Luckily I can run 4 at a time. I got there at 3 am. It's an hour drive to the site for me. So guess what time I got up.

Plus each valve box has spiders, scorpions, bees, snakes or all of the above.
    Hey Mr Sprinkler man. If I turn my timer to the off position will it be set for the same days and times once I return it back to the on position? Will the date and time be the correct one, once its turned back on?

mtbr member
    For the majority of timers yes. Unless it had a power outage it will return to the schedule. Also only use durecell 9v batteries. Energizer doesn't work. Seriously it makes a difference.

I wish we had a newer clock at that property. The one at our other property runs off an app. I can run everything off my phone.

Thank god the other clock for the south side hasn't gone down. That has 245 stations. They are all 2 wire with decoders. Simple system but when something fails it costs money. We had a transformer that got struck by lightning. Blew the whole system. Cost over $10k to fix.

Got irrigation or plant questions I got the answers. I actually love fixing irrigation.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jackbombay View Post
    Live buried propane line on my jobsite, not on my plans, and not marked. Although I was able to "locate" it with the mini ex...

Looks chopped in half already along with a locating wire?

I was on site for this project

https://www.google.com/amp/s/article..._excavator.amp

mtbr member
    Looks chopped in half already along with a locating wire?
    I cut the locating wire after I "located" the propane line so I could dig the trench deeper to get the required amount of fill over the line when I put it all back in the ground. It is all back in the ground at this point. I actually had a solid productive day today, but I'm not supposed to post about that in this thread :-P

Eeeekkkk!!!!!

My favorite jobsites are ones where there is zero chance of hitting anything, not too common,but not non existent either.