Wireless headphones- Mtbr.com
    Pipe Dreamer

Wireless headphones

I'd like to find a decent set of wireless headphones, mainly for use with the PC. If there's some way to use them with my home stereo that would be a bonus.

A while ago I bought a cheap Bluetooth dongle from amazon and some ~$20 headphones from ROSS that barely even worked. I returned the headphones and still have the dongle. If I do a Google it brings up ones from $40 all the way up to $350! I wouldn't mind paying around $40 if they actually sound decent and have some range.

Anybody use a cheaper set they could recommend?

This space intentionally left blank. We apologise for any inconvenience.

Log off and go ride!
    Jul 2003
    I just bluetooth my playlist, videos, etc direct to my hearing aids. The best part is insurance paid for it.
    Do not take anything I post seriously. I don't.

mtbr member
    I bought a wireless headset for when I was starting to practice guitar. (Nice to not have to have the amp up when little guys asleep).

Well, I found that there was a 1/10 of a second lag that would cause all sorts of problems for me!!!

If it's just radio, wireless OK. If combining visual/audio, I'm not keen on wireless....
    "Go soothingly in the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon"

Pipe Dreamer
    Quote Originally Posted by DethWshBkr View Post
    Well, I found that there was a 1/10 of a second lag that would cause all sorts of problems for me!!!
    Interesting. How long ago was this? Maybe newer tech has fixed that lag.

I'll be using them for watching youtube, so that lag might be a deal breaker.

Pipe Dreamer
    Quote Originally Posted by dave54 View Post
    I just bluetooth my playlist, videos, etc direct to my hearing aids. The best part is insurance paid for it.
    I often have music playing inside my brain, but it's usually something I don't want to listen to.

gobsmacked Moderator
    Does it have to be wireless? The decent wireless ones are probably at least double the $40 price range. I have some Beats that I'm okay with. They're spendy, hot, and skew sound a bit so the range is more focused on bass. However, I have some wired Grado ones that are probably $30-40 and they are awesome.

mtbr member
    Do you really need wireless ones? I ask because ones with a cable will be better.

Two reasons. The wireless base and receiver will consume part of the cost while adding nothing to sound quality so wired ones of the same price will have more of the cost spent on the bits that make them sound nice.

Also, putting the signal through another stage of conversion, transmission etc is actively bad for sound quality. Basically, if you live with a cable you'll get better sound.

Pipe Dreamer
    I'd like to be able to get up and move around the room and not be attached by a cord is all. I was hoping there might be some decent, inexpensive ones out there.

I've got some corded Bose that my mom gave me. They sound fine, but the construction and materials are absolute crap. They've broke in a few places and the padding is deteriorating.

mtbr member
    If you're looking for budget these are a good all around choice.
    https://www.amazon.com/Jabra-Move-Wi...7C%7C%7C%7C%7C

If you want more expensive can turn you onto much better, that will sound better for less money than beats or bose
    Round and round we go

MTBR Member
    I'd avoid wireless headphones anywhere near that $40 price range. If you don't mind wired, Audio Technica is one of the best values out there -- something like the m30x would be a good option.

If the Bose are worth investing in, replacement pads can be had pretty cheap via ebay or amazon. I need to order a new set for my QC2s, but I'm pretty happy with my V-Moda m100s at the moment.

Pipe Dreamer
    Thanks, Meat, those look pretty good. I'll have to look thru the reviews and filter out the nonsense.

Those are more than I'd like to pay, but if they're worth it I might.

Pipe Dreamer
    Quote Originally Posted by ncfisherman View Post
    I'd avoid wireless headphones anywhere near that $40 price range. If you don't mind wired, Audio Technica is one of the best values out there -- something like the m30x would be a good option.

If the Bose are worth investing in, replacement pads can be had pretty cheap via ebay or amazon. I need to order a new set for my QC2s, but I'm pretty happy with my V-Moda m100s at the moment.
    I'd take a picture of them, but I'd be too embarrassed to post it, lol. The thing that goes over your head broke in about three places. I had to zip-tie one earpiece on and then wrap tape around each break. I cut the ends off old socks to wrap around the earpieces to keep the bits of black foam from getting everywhere. The only thing good on them is the cords and speakers. They're ready for the bin.

Meatbomb
    My Girlfriend has a pair of these Sony headphone for watching TV and movies:

https://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDRRF985...dphones+for+tv

They appear to work well as she does not complain about them.

Pipe Dreamer
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post

That's getting up there in price. I do see those or similar at estate sales every once in a while for cheap, tho.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cornfield View Post
    Interesting. How long ago was this? Maybe newer tech has fixed that lag.

I'll be using them for watching youtube, so that lag might be a deal breaker.
    I got them early January 2016.
    I used a bluetooth adapter, plugged into the headset port, and then it transmitted to the headset. It may just be cheaper stuff, but hard to know for sure without testing.
    "Go soothingly in the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon"

Pipe Dreamer
    Quote Originally Posted by DethWshBkr View Post
    I got them early January 2016.
    I used a bluetooth adapter, plugged into the headset port, and then it transmitted to the headset. It may just be cheaper stuff, but hard to know for sure without testing.
    I guess if I went with what theMeat recommended, I could do a little research and ask if there's a delay before I buy.

Co Springs
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post

I have those too. They work off RF rather than BT. Good range and no interference. I or wife use for TV when we are working different schedules. Audio quality, no idea but TV and dialog good.
    "Before you criticize, you should walk a mile in their shoes. You'll be a mile away from them and you have their shoes"

Pipe Dreamer
    Do those Sonys have a standard headphone jack that'll plug into a PC?

Last night I was listening to some music on youtube and wanted to get something from the other room, but I didn't want to stop listening to the song. These seem like what I want.

Bannėd
    Quote Originally Posted by girlonbike View Post
    Does it have to be wireless? The decent wireless ones are probably at least double the $40 price range. I have some Beats that I'm okay with. They're spendy, hot, and skew sound a bit so the range is more focused on bass. However, I have some wired Grado ones that are probably $30-40 and they are awesome.
    If they are pre-Apple Beats then they are just a bunch of fancy packaging and plastic with crappy innards. I don't like headphones in general so I really don't give a hoot but they were really pulling off a big scam for awhile. My attention span doesn't allow me to listen to anything for very long.
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    That's more than Catfish would do.

Pipe Dreamer
    If I could plug the Sonys into the receiver that's in the other room, which my record player is hooked up to, I'd be able to listen to my neglected LP collection while messing around on the PC!

gobsmacked Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Ochmonek View Post
    If they are pre-Apple Beats then they are just a bunch of fancy packaging and plastic with crappy innards. I don't like headphones in general so I really don't give a hoot but they were really pulling off a big scam for awhile. My attention span doesn't allow me to listen to anything for very long.
    Got them for Christmas last year.

Co Springs
    Do those Sonys have a standard headphone jack that'll plug into a PC?

Last night I was listening to some music on youtube and wanted to get something from the other room, but I didn't want to stop listening to the song. These seem like what I want.
    Yes.
    "Before you criticize, you should walk a mile in their shoes. You'll be a mile away from them and you have their shoes"

Co Springs
    If I could plug the Sonys into the receiver that's in the other room, which my record player is hooked up to, I'd be able to listen to my neglected LP collection while messing around on the PC!
    Range is very good. I went from the TV in our upstairs bedroom to the lower level to let dog out, didn't miss a thing. Clean and clear all the way. Again, I'm not sure if they rate audiophile sound quality though.

High Desert MTBer
    I cracked recently and bought some Bose QC35. I know these are beyond any sensible budget, but you know when you just LOVE some item of technology and wonder how you ever did without it?
    I take a LOT of long plane rides, and these things are simply awesome. Wireless without a huge quality degradation, bluetooth that is easy to set and forget, I don't wake up after a snooze having bondage nightmares, and they work equally as good in the home.

I suggest you sell an unwanted child or two and buy some of these.
    It's all Here. Now.

Pipe Dreamer
    I've no children to sell, if I did and I could get that kind of cash, I'd get another set of Hope hubs.

I can see how those Bose would be great for traveling, I bet they block out most of the annoying tourists. I'm liking the sound of RF over BT, I think, since there's no way to BT from my analog stereo system.