mtbr member
    Feb 2012

Wildlife you have seen in your house...

Does anyone have any "non traditional"(dogs or cats) animals as pets? I have 2 ball pythons and some chickens. What do you guys have? Couldn't get a pic of the chickens, they don't sit still long enough.
    Matt

Kim
    Cheers

No Stranger to danger....
    Ive had a few girlfriends over the years in my house that i would consider as wildlife, a few real feral ones, even one that bought extra wildlife in with her....and i'll leave that one up to the imagination, cheers

heaven help me
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's L'axeman View Post
    Ive had a few girlfriends over the years in my house that i would consider as wildlife, a few real feral ones, even one that bought extra wildlife in with her....and i'll leave that one up to the imagination, cheers

Tone, I'd rep ya', but I got to spread it.

AZ
    banned
    Rattlesnake, under the couch. Don't leave the screen door open kids.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's L'axeman View Post
    I think we've all had that happen.
    Cheers

Sweep the leg!
    Quote Originally Posted by Philbobagginz View Post
    I think we've all had that happen.
    Not if my wife is asking.
    Authorities speculate that speed may have been a factor. They are also holding gravity and inertia for questioning.

STEEL IS REAL
    Nov 2008
    Fleas, mites, ticks, mosquitos, bees, wasps, hornets, flies, gnats, spiders, lice....

oh, and crabs.

Raid or Black Flag takes care of all of them...

What???
    life is... "All About Bikes"...

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    F*uck spiders.
    Cheers

No Stranger to danger....
    Quote Originally Posted by ambassadorhawg View Post
    Fleas, mites, ticks, mosquitos, bees, wasps, hornets, flies, gnats, spiders, lice....

oh, and crabs.

Raid or Black Flag takes care of all of them...

What???
    LOL HAWG, So i gather christmas lunch over at your place is off then ??

9 lives
    Wildlife you have seen in your house...-250894_445514022138329_874812962_n.jpg
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Fish are pretty common but, I have a red bellied Pacu. Its a freshwater relative of the Pirana. They are listed as I believe omnivores. Basically they are oppurtunist. Their normal diet consists of nuts and berrys but they will eat smaller fish and often larger animals if they can tell the animal is under distress. Mine decided to bite down on my little finger the other night while I was cleaning the tank, left a pretty good bruise.
    2010 Giant Yukon FX
    Pure XCR Wheelset/Geax Saguaro Tires/Tubeless
    Bike Weight Lost: 2.48lbs (1124g)

banned
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperSlow35th View Post
    Fish are pretty common but, I have a red bellied Pacu. Its a freshwater relative of the Pirana. They are listed as I believe omnivores. Basically they are oppurtunist. Their normal diet consists of nuts and berrys but they will eat smaller fish and often larger animals if they can tell the animal is under distress. Mine decided to bite down on my little finger the other night while I was cleaning the tank, left a pretty good bruise.
    Those are truly nuts eaters! Pacu, Testicle-Eating Fish Species, Caught In Lake Lou Yaeger In Illinois

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Pacu get HUGE too. A friend of mine has one is his pond, it's probably the size of a 17" car wheel.
    Cheers

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Mines about 6" in diameter.

Thats the first day I got him so he's grown a bit since then. He creeps my wife out because he'll sit at the front of the tank and stare at her and follow her across the glass when she walks around the living room. I find it pretty entertaining.

He's in a fairly small tank so he wont grow much bigger than that till I upgrade tanks when we move to Texas.
    2010 Giant Yukon FX

STEEL IS REAL
    Nov 2008
    Mines about 6" in diameter.

Thats the first day I got him so he's grown a bit since then. He creeps my wife out because he'll sit at the front of the tank and stare at her and follow her across the glass when she walks around the living room. I find it pretty entertaining.

He's in a fairly small tank so he wont grow much bigger than that till I upgrade tanks when we move to Texas.
    Not true. I've got over 30 years experience in the pet trade with tropical fish being my specialty.

Your Pacu will out grow it's small tank. While it's growth rate will be somewhat stunted, it's one of the few fish exceptions that will continue to to grow even in a small environment. If left in a small tank, Pacus will eventually grow large enough to where they cannot turn around.

Please don't let it go in your local city pond or lake when it outgrows your largest tank...

According to the South American people, they are fine eating!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Right. Were moving in the next few months so he wont have time to outgrow the tank before I upgrade. And he definately wont be let go. Hes in a 55 gallon tank at the moment and will be moved to a 300 gallon once we move. (current house has nowhere to put a 300 lol).

I keep running across general misconceptions of this fish. I was told by the shop I bought it from that as long as the other fish in the tank were as large or larger than him he would leave them alone. Well, he ate my Placostamus that was about 8" long. He hasnt bothered my red tipped shark though but Im assuming thats because the shark is quite a bit quicker than the Placo.
    2010 Giant Yukon FX

STEEL IS REAL
    Nov 2008
    Right. Were moving in the next few months so he wont have time to outgrow the tank before I upgrade. And he definately wont be let go. Hes in a 55 gallon tank at the moment and will be moved to a 300 gallon once we move. (current house has nowhere to put a 300 lol).

I keep running across general misconceptions of this fish. I was told by the shop I bought it from that as long as the other fish in the tank were as large or larger than him he would leave them alone. Well, he ate my Placostamus that was about 8" long. He hasnt bothered my red tipped shark though but Im assuming thats because the shark is quite a bit quicker than the Placo.
    The fate of your Shark is in serious jeopardy....

Pacus have ravenous, insatiable appetites. They really aren't all that different from Piranahs, actually even worse because they are far more adaptable to different environments.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Interesting. Theyve been living pretty peacefully for about 8 months now without issue. If thats the case I may end up having to get rid of my other tank and place my shark and some other fish in it and keep the Pacu in the larger tank. I have a Blue Dwarf Gourami in my other tank and hes a little a$$hole. He attacks everything. This is the first time ive really ventured off into other fish than bettas. Ive kept bettas along with the general tetras and such since I was 6. Any special suggestion for diet for the Pacu? Hes been eating normal tropical fish flake food, algae wafers (he destroys those things), and little chunks of apple from time to time (my dad suggested this and he seems to eat them pretty quickly <the fish, not my dad>).
    2010 Giant Yukon FX

STEEL IS REAL
    Nov 2008
    Interesting. Theyve been living pretty peacefully for about 8 months now without issue. If thats the case I may end up having to get rid of my other tank and place my shark and some other fish in it and keep the Pacu in the larger tank. I have a Blue Dwarf Gourami in my other tank and hes a little a$$hole. He attacks everything. This is the first time ive really ventured off into other fish than bettas. Ive kept bettas along with the general tetras and such since I was 6. Any special suggestion for diet for the Pacu? Hes been eating normal tropical fish flake food, algae wafers (he destroys those things), and little chunks of apple from time to time (my dad suggested this and he seems to eat them pretty quickly <the fish, not my dad>).
    They will eat anything! (Pacus and Dads ). What you are feeding now is fine. Just keep the feeding to a minimum or that thing will grow very quickly.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Well, he ate my Placostamus that was about 8" long. He hasnt bothered my red tipped shark though but Im assuming thats because the shark is quite a bit quicker than the Placo.
    hmmm my pleco always seemed to be the one that nothing ever bothered with, everything else the jack dempsey ate including the pacu. i really need a bigger tank.

STEEL IS REAL
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Slozomby View Post
    hmmm my pleco always seemed to be the one that nothing ever bothered with, everything else the jack dempsey ate including the pacu. i really need a bigger tank.
    Jacks don't have the chompers that Pacus have, just a bad attitude. It could kill your Pleco if it was persistant about it.

Have you guys ever touched a Plecostomus? They are armor plated and the plates have a rough sensation. Nothing to destroy except for eyes and fin rays unless you have teeth to cut through it as far as fish are concerned.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    When I came home to find my Placo missing he was just that. Gone. Ive cleaned the tank twice since then and I have found 0 evidence of the fish ever being in that tank. I pulled the tank and stand out from the wall, checked underneath it, checked the filter box, checked under the gravel, everywhere. Lol. Boggled the hell out of me.
    2010 Giant Yukon FX

STEEL IS REAL
    Nov 2008
    When I came home to find my Placo missing he was just that. Gone. Ive cleaned the tank twice since then and I have found 0 evidence of the fish ever being in that tank. I pulled the tank and stand out from the wall, checked underneath it, checked the filter box, checked under the gravel, everywhere. Lol. Boggled the hell out of me.
    One of two possibilities:

1) Your Pacu had a big fat belly and big smile on it's face that day.

2) If you have cats or a dog, the Pleco may have jumped out and been carried away by them.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Two dogs but they stay outside, no cats. So im going with Pacu ate the Placo for $500 Alex.
    2010 Giant Yukon FX

mtbr member
    Jun 2012

6 llamas

Have 6 llama's I use for packing
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Wildlife you have seen in your house...-im001747.jpg  

STEEL IS REAL
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by trail_slayer View Post
    Have 6 llama's I use for packing
    Show a pic of the other five... you said SIX...

I wanna see me a whole heard of them dudes!

banned
    We've had close calls with skunks. I entered the garage from the kitchen one evening and there was one that had gotten in during the previous night and spent most of the day napping.

A couple of times we heard a horrible screeching and struggling commotion out on the deck, followed by the telltale stench of a skunk. Went out only to find some poop smeared on the deck flooring, and yellowish staining from the spray. The folks at the zoo told us that skunk is one of an owls' favorite prey (they can't smell 'em), so I assume that's what happened.

Friends of ours had one get in through the pet door late at night, go into their master bedroom and spray the place when they turned on the lamp to see what was making the noise.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    My cat brings in decapitated gophers, lizards, rats and other small animals at least once a week.

mtbr member
    Sometimes little lizards get tangled in my chow's hair and end up in the house. I'm talking tiny little lizards.

I'm enjoying my childhood way too much to ever give it up.

mtbr member
    Scorpions, one rattle snake near the dog door, and Mediterranean geckos. I love the geckos, they're my free pest control.
    Hey Ma! Look at this laceration.

Members who have read this thread: 0