Whos puttin up the fake cell towers?- Mtbr.com
    ~ B A D A S S ~

Whos puttin up the fake cell towers?

I just heard about this and how they supposedly works.

The fake cell towers are used when 1: you want to listen in on specific phones (or possibly all phones in certain areas) traffic without the encryption, in realtime.

or 2: you don't know the phone number or don't know the phone id of the person you are trying to haras eeh survail, you can find out those 2 with these fake cell towers.

Basically its some kind of man in the middle attack, the towers send out a signal to all phones nearby that they have to identify themselves, and when the target phone(s) have been selected they can be forced to send all traffic through the fake cell tower unencrypted. Very clever.

But now to really interesting question, who the hell is putting up these?? I mean if the cops and/or some gov organisation wants to listen in, I'm 1000% sure they can do that almost immediately (and listen in realtime) by just calling up the service providers/isps.
    Or why not just call up the nsa and tell them to play it back, they save everything. everything.. I'm sure they could also provide all info needed.

amirite??

And the providers can obviously do a lot more than that above, and probably a lot faster, over a larger area.

So who would even be using these fake cell tower devices????

What are your theories??
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    Specialized sucks ass.

Maaaaan
    The Gov uses Com Satellites.
    Communist Party Member Since 1917.

I didn't do it
    One point of correction to the original post is that the police have to get a warrant to compel a service provider to hand over a specific user's activity. So it's not a very efficient process and they don't get real time information. An actual wire tap also requires a warrant. I'm assuming you're joking about the NSA, they ain't going to be handing over info to your local police so they can bust the neighborhood dope dealer.

The device you're talking about is called a "Stingray." You can't listen with it but you get other data. My take is that police use the stingray so they can get around the need for a warrant because the device gets info from everybody. Not very reassuring. My guess is that this will be contested in the courts at some point.
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted
    Remember, commas save lives

~ B A D A S S ~
    Quote Originally Posted by Mookie View Post
    One point of correction to the original post is that the police have to get a warrant to compel a service provider to hand over a specific user's activity. So it's not a very efficient process and they don't get real time information. An actual wire tap also requires a warrant. I'm assuming you're joking about the NSA, they ain't going to be handing over info to your local police so they can bust the neighborhood dope dealer.

The device you're talking about is called a "Stingray." You can't listen with it but you get other data. My take is that police use the stingray so they can get around the need for a warrant because the device gets info from everybody. Not very reassuring. My guess is that this will be contested in the courts at some point.
    Yeah and how hard is it to get a warrant now when we're all "terrorists"/"undocumented shoppers" until proven otherwise on our own dime????? not very!! I just don't think its cops. Highly unlikely imo. Why even bother? why not just go and pick the guy up?? I mean thats how they work, its really uncomplicated their line of business.

The stingray is old. this one convinces your phone to send all data, or not send at all, unencrypted. The devices (there are many supposedly) was discovered by using a special phone that alerts the users that now the gsm encryption is turned off, and this only happens with one of these man in the middle attacks. And you actually have to be "chosen" by the "admins" of the device for it to do this. Its pretty much like hacking routers I suppose.

From what I understood this is beyond the stingray. And from what I assume It pretty much gives the "admins" the same power as hacking a router and doing a man in the middle but now with live audio.

I'm not very surprised that this exist at all. And since all phone cryptos are crap and have been cracked a loooong time ago I'm more surprised it took so long. I'm not very happy though. This is phucked up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

Specialized sucks ass.

I didn't do it
    Quote Originally Posted by car bone View Post
    Yeah and how hard is it to get a warrant now when we're all "terrorists"/"undocumented shoppers" until proven otherwise on our own dime????? not very!! I just don't think its cops. Highly unlikely imo. Why even bother? why not just go and pick the guy up?? I mean thats how they work, its really uncomplicated their line of business.
    Its not trivial to get a warrant - the police need to bring evidence to a judge and convince the judge that there's reason to believe the suspect is engaged in some sort of criminal activity. It takes some work to obtain and prevents police from just busting into somebody's house or listening in on people just on a "hunch." The police need to show probable cause and are denied all the time.

The police have to gather evidence before "just picking the guy up." That's why they want to use the surveillance equipment. If they don't have the evidence and take somebody into custody they'll have to release them anyhow so its not worth the effort unless they have something they can use to hold the suspect.

I mention police because its widely documented that they use this equipment. We all know the feds are listening. So who do you think is installing the surveillance equipment? I suppose criminals could be doing it but I don't know if they would get useful information with this gear.
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted

Maaaaan
    People always forget. Using the info in court would require a warrant, but using it (high tech) to track you and find other info, legally, to use in court...
    Anyways, they need the high tech, to counter the crooks using high tech.

Maaaaan

So who do you think is installing the surveillance equipment? I suppose criminals could be doing it but I don't know if they would get useful information with this gear.
    The Feds just broke up some huge drug ring, making several hundred arrests in Texas and Mexico. They had wired up everything using crooked radio and IT people. They were listening to other cartels, the police, anyone they didn't trust or like.
    They had wired up whole towns with police style cameras.
    That should scare the crap out of the U.S. population.

Meatbomb
    Yeah the towers are being put up by the cartels. It's been going on for years.

~ B A D A S S ~
    Quote Originally Posted by Ericmopar View Post
    The Feds just broke up some huge drug ring, making several hundred arrests in Texas and Mexico. They had wired up everything using crooked radio and IT people. They were listening to other cartels, the police, anyone they didn't trust or like.
    They had wired up whole towns with police style cameras.
    That should scare the crap out of the U.S. population.
    Are you saying cartels are doing this?? Thats fukd. But I guess its sounds plausible. These devices are supposedly quite expensive.
    I saw a map of where these had been found. A lot of those were quite close to the border of mexico.

Specialized sucks ass.

Fart smeller
    Friggin tower spammers.
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

"If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention."

Heather Heyer

banned
    Sep 2010

The stingray is old. this one convinces your phone to send all data, or not send at all, unencrypted. The devices (there are many supposedly) was discovered by using a special phone that alerts the users that now the gsm encryption is turned off, and this only happens with one of these man in the middle attacks. And you actually have to be "chosen" by the "admins" of the device for it to do this. Its pretty much like hacking routers I suppose.

From what I understood this is beyond the stingray. And from what I assume It pretty much gives the "admins" the same power as hacking a router and doing a man in the middle but now with live audio.

I'm not very surprised that this exist at all. And since all phone cryptos are crap and have been cracked a loooong time ago I'm more surprised it took so long. I'm not very happy though. This is phucked up.
    How exactly have you come to know this info for a fact? That's what I'd like to know.

I mean, your'e already under surveillance....

~ B A D A S S ~
    What do you mean. I heard about on the radio and I looked it up on the internet. Also I have used so called persnonal computers and internet for a long time so I have a pretty good understanding if something is possible or not.

Yeah aren't we all.

Specialized sucks ass.

GONE
    Nov 2008
    From what I heard on the news, the towers are also capable of installing spyware on your phone once they are connected to you.

The towers are mostly near military bases but the Govt denies any involvement.

I didn't do it

Unless you have other info, we're talking about the Stingray. As far as I know, fake cell towers refers to the Stingray.

Meet the machines that steal your phone?s data | Ars Technica

Are your calls being intercepted? 17 fake cell towers discovered in one month | Computerworld

Fake Cell Towers Used by Police to Gather Data |
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted

banned
    Sep 2010
    What do you mean. I heard about on the radio and I looked it up on the internet. Also I have used so called persnonal computers and internet for a long time so I have a pretty good understanding if something is possible or not.

Yeah aren't we all.
    I hadn't heard about it on the news or read about it. Now I see an article online from Newsweek on it.

These days, with conspiracy theories so popular, I don't know if yer kiddin' or not. You can never tell, until you check things out for yourself.

http://www.newsweek.com/what-cell-ls...-towers-268589

banned
    Sep 2012
    Spy on me all you want.. You'll find texts about what's for dinner and posts on empty beer.

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    way more to this story... They're not towers at all. At least not like you're used to seeing. It's actually a portable wireless scanning device that CAN be used. Read up on it yourself at truthorfiction.com

I didn't do it
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckha62 View Post
    way more to this story... They're not towers at all. At least not like you're used to seeing. It's actually a portable wireless scanning device that CAN be used. Read up on it yourself at truthorfiction.com
    True. There's several links already posted that point this out.
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted

GONE
    Nov 2008
    OK, so next logical question...

Why aren't they being dismantled?

I didn't do it
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    OK, so next logical question...

Why aren't they being dismantled?
    Good question. They can't be gone soon enough. One being used by the po-lease was recently discovered here and there's significant backlash.
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted

banned
    Jan 2013
    Clearly the Illuminati are responsible.

~ B A D A S S ~
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRingGrinder View Post
    Clearly the Illuminati are responsible.
    My money would have been on that company that makes the phones that can detect these "towers", I mean its win-win for them right.Or possibly a foreign state like NK conducting large scale industrial espionage, they would have the money and the motivation.

About them being found near military bases, is there really any place in the US that is NOT near a military base?? And the definition of "near" can be debated.

Specialized sucks ass.

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    In the late 90's, the company I worked for was doing test platforms for the (then) upcoming roll out of the 3G wireless platform. We were also building B2 Avionics test systems, but we were quite diversified then...

Anyway, one of the things we did was put together a snooper (of sorts) for the 2G wireless platform. It was pretty much what you're referring to here, but back then it took up a large Pelican enclosure (about the size of three suitcases) and was sold to LE (using the term loosely). The customers put them in minivans and had handheld antennas sticking out the windows. We had unrestricted access to the Cellular bands including LE channels. Let me tell you... I could listen in on ANYTHING.

THIS is nothing new. Disturbing, but not new at all.

banned
    Jun 2007
    The truly disturbing fact is the denial of ownership.
    Increasingly, we the people are held accountable for our actions.
    The higher your profile, and the more successful you become, this increases.
    Yet, our LEO's, politicians, and local government officials seem to escape all scrutiny.

Once discovered, why hasn't the organization accountable for their install, and operations been made to divulge their existence.
    Better yet, where they get the funding? If it came from homeland security then our taxes are paying to illegally spy on ourselves.
    For those that say they have nothing to hide - how does that make you feel?
    (It makes me madder than hell. Before stealing citizen's privacy, let's fund hunger, and homelessness.)

GONE
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyin_W View Post
    The truly disturbing fact is the denial of ownership.
    Increasingly, we the people are held accountable for our actions.
    The higher your profile, and the more successful you become, this increases.
    Yet, our LEO's, politicians, and local government officials seem to escape all scrutiny.

Once discovered, why hasn't the organization accountable for their install, and operations been made to divulge their existence.
    Better yet, where they get the funding? If it came from homeland security then our taxes are paying to illegally spy on ourselves.
    For those that say they have nothing to hide - how does that make you feel?
    (It makes me madder than hell. Before stealing citizen's privacy, let's fund hunger, and homelessness.)
    Has anyone tried to disable one of these and if so, who came chasing after them?

If nobody is claiming responsibility or ownership, then why aren't the people taking them down??? It's clear that these towers are up to no good, so why aren't we rushing them and taking them down?

banned
    Jun 2007
    Has anyone tried to disable one of these and if so, who came chasing after them?

If nobody is claiming responsibility or ownership, then why aren't the people taking them down??? It's clear that these towers are up to no good, so why aren't we rushing them and taking them down?
    Likely because they're near military bases with armed personell instructed to shoot on sight.
    The time has come for civil disobedience.

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    The story is incorrect and embellishes upon the facts. The towers you see scattered about, are NOT the issue. Stand down, guys! The issue is the portable stuff. There's enough real stuff to be concerned about without getting worked up over the false stuff.

GONE
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyin_W View Post
    Likely because they're near military bases with armed personell instructed to shoot on sight.
    The time has come for civil disobedience.
    If they were guarded by the military, then that makes the military involved whether they deny (admit) it not.

I was under the impression that they were free standing, easy to attack.

banned
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Seedy T View Post
    How does one go about attacking a tower?

Wouldn't it be easier just to dismantle it, Ninja style?

Flyin W certainly has his hands full with this group of Bad News Bears.
    Dirty socks?

GONE
    Nov 2008

attack/dismantle/disassemble....same thing, only different.

DISASSEMBLE?!!! NO DISASSEMBLE!!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

banned
    Sep 2012
    attack/dismantle/disassemble....same thing, only different.

DISASSEMBLE?!!! NO DISASSEMBLE!!!!
    Johnny 5 is alive!

GONE
    Nov 2008
    Let's assemble a list of things needed to conquer these trouble making towers/scanners:

(Feel free to contribute)

First, we'll need an entire fleet of these-
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Whos puttin up the fake cell towers?-uio.jpg  

banned
    Sep 2012
    Armed and ready!

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 379
Size:  83.4 KB

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    They'll never see this coming:

Whos puttin up the fake cell towers?-2009.07.07knifone.jpg

GONE
    Nov 2008
    We'd need a whole bunch of these as a distraction. But I have to admit that I might be distracted, too.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Whos puttin up the fake cell towers?-tyu.jpg  

GONE
    Nov 2008
    We would need our gimp fatigues... Ninja style!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Whos puttin up the fake cell towers?-eryt.jpg  

I didn't do it
    We'd need a whole bunch of these as a distraction. But I have to admit that I might be distracted, too.
    This is a terrible idea Hawg, our flanks would be left exposed with these girls running around.
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted

I didn't do it
    Quote Originally Posted by Slow Danger View Post
    They'll never see this coming:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2009.07.07knifone.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	18.4 KB 
ID:	922336
    Haha, this will learn 'em to mess with us!
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted

GONE
    Nov 2008
    This is a terrible idea Hawg, our flanks would be left exposed with these girls running around.
    Great minds think alike!

I didn't do it
    Great minds think alike!
    At least demented ones do.
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted

GONE
    Nov 2008
    I'm still trying to figure out what I'm going to wear....

Is this too bright?

Attachment 922343
    No, not too bright but it needs a marijuana leaf embossed on it instead of Adidas.

banned
    Sep 2010

An RPG would be the place to start....

~ B A D A S S ~
    I'd like the one in purple to intercept my celltower.

Name:  922337d1410320203t-whos-puttin-up-fake-cell-towers-tyu.jpg
Views: 370
Size:  43.8 KB

Specialized sucks ass.

All fat, all the time.
    You guys are too paranoid....
    Everyone knows the gov't simply logs into MTBR offtopic to find out what's going on....sheesh!

Rabid Lana Fan
    Hawg, you can drop the charade, now. We all know it's you.

How much did you sell your soul for? A new bike? Some '35% off' hooker coupons?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Whos puttin up the fake cell towers?-ctcc.jpg  

rOCktoberfest 2015 pt I here
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt II here

GONE
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by net wurker View Post
    How much did you sell your soul for? A new bike? Some '35% off' hooker coupons?
    All of the above and then some.

GONE
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark View Post
    Everyone knows the gov't simply logs into MTBR offtopic to find out what's going on....sheesh!
    All joking aside, this may actually be true.

I didn't do it
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark View Post
    AZ came in first to probe our defenses and now the real observers are here, patiently watching us and taking notes.
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted