Life Is Short

Who's living in drought-stricken America?

I read just the LA Times paper's article, "US Drought most extensive in decades", yes I have a newspaper believe it or not (I work in a newsroom) Anyways, it seems to be pretty bad. How are you guys coping?

A friend of mine lives in Copperas Cove/Killeen TX and told me it was raining all week, I hope some of the nearby lakes filled up to some extent.

Widespread drought threatens U.S. crops - latimes.com

undercover brother
    I live in Cincinnati, oh and its been miserable for the last 3 weeks. The humidity is overwhelming and breaks the heat index above 100 daily. All creeks are extremely low and even the river is notably low. The drought mostly effects farming throughout the outlying areas. Although it did rain two days ago and they are calling for storms tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Here in Florida I don't own a umbrella but it rains everyday at 12, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, and 8pm

since 4/10/2009
    Yeah, it has rained almost daily for the past week or so in tx. Some areas got a couple of feet of rain. My area got more like 4-5".

I just visited family in Indy for the weekend and it's very crusty there. But it still felt nicer than TX. Had some great riding on Sat, though. I hear they got some rain today.

The White Jeff W
    Very dry here in Western PA for weeks. Makes for some fast trails and I have more time to ride because my lawn doesnt need mowed
    No moss...

9 lives
    We have had very little precipitation lately here in southern Ontario. This an immediate concern because it affects the local crops and a long term concern... too much precipitation in fall or winter. We've noticed that lake and river levels are lower than normal

In the meantime how hot is it? Our money is melting

New plastic Canadian bills can

Who's living in drought-stricken America?-5a6971d34dadaf6c1015dcac6fcc.jpg
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

Log off and go ride!
    Jul 2003
    We are on the drought map released by the government, but we had near normal precip last winter. Still plenty of green and water levels are close to normal for the date. Wtf?

AZ
    banned
    This is year ten or eleven of the drought here in Arizona.

keeptrollintrollintrollin
    Pretty crusty here in the mid west. Better save your grocery pennies... crops are not doing well.

since 4/10/2009
    My folks have been complaining about the prices of beef. they had no idea that it was related to last year's drought in TX. Conditions were so bad that there was no water or hay for the cattle, and some ranchers sold their entire herds to market. Now there's less beef, so prices went up.

corn and soy product prices are going to jump this year, and likewise with products that use them (anything processed or raised in a feedlot).

the corn didn't look good along the highways on my trip this past weekend. it was green (which is better than I expected, actually), but the leaves were curled and on closer inspection, there are very few ears. I hear some farmers have just bailed on the season and plowed their entire crops under already.

mtbr member
    to take this off camber thread even more off camber...did anybody read about the Iranian Vice President blaming "Western Technology" for causing the draughts in his country? WTF dude!?

VA has been very rainy this summer. Seems to always be raining here lately but when it's dry, it's HOT.

mtbr member
    It's pretty bad in NE. It hasn't rained in over a month or so. My yard is fried and the crops are wilted as the temps are triple digits. Even the livestock is suffering.

Farmers are pretty worried but there's nothing they can do.

STEEL IS REAL
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    This is year ten or eleven of the drought here in Arizona.
    Really? Even with the Summer Monsoon stuff?
    life is... "All About Bikes"...

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ambassadorhawg View Post
    Really? Even with the Summer Monsoon stuff?

Yup. Rain doesn't help a lot, the winter snow pack is where the moisture really comes from.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    Yup. Rain doesn't help a lot, the winter snow pack is where the moisture really comes from.
    I think ive only seen ~10 hours of rain since April, in Phoenix
    Hey Ma! Look at this laceration.

Life Is Short
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclelicious View Post
    We have had very little precipitation lately here in southern Ontario. This an immediate concern because it affects the local crops and a long term concern... too much precipitation in fall or winter. We've noticed that lake and river levels are lower than normal

In the meantime how hot is it? Our money is melting
    Damn, hot in Ontario? Thats scarey, like in the movie 2013 where it was hot
    like 100 degrees in Canada & people fled to Mexico to keep cool. I hope it rains
    in your area soon and of course throughout the midwestern USA.

Sweep the leg!
    We are several inches behind in rainfall for the past 2 months. It rained here last night for a few hours but the soil is so hard it drained away and there were land slides. Wisconsin is too flat to have land slides!
    Authorities speculate that speed may have been a factor. They are also holding gravity and inertia for questioning.

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Caffeine Powered View Post
    We are several inches behind in rainfall for the past 2 months. It rained here last night for a few hours but the soil is so hard it drained away and there were land slides. Wisconsin is too flat to have land slides!

We could get lucky and it will slide south and take out Illinois.

Life Is Short
    this map was made July 13th
    Arizona looks completely red
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Who's living in drought-stricken America?-120713012137-drought-map-story-top.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by WarBoom View Post
    Here in Florida I don't own a umbrella but it rains everyday at 12, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, and 8pm
    This!
    Cheers

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by fatcat View Post
    this map was made July 13th
    Arizona looks completely red
    Where did that map come from? My area is listed as red and is well above average in rainfall for the year

STEEL IS REAL
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    Where did that map come from? My area is listed as red and is well above average in rainfall for the year
    Your area may well have above average rainfall for the year but that is not necessarily enough to bring it out of a drought status. It could take another 1-2 years of above average rainfall to bring things back to normal.
    life is... "All About Bikes"...

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I feel bad for the farmers. But this may be the nicest summer I've experienced in 25 years of life! In South Dakota. Past 2 or 3 weeks it has been 90-100 every day and it only rained once.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ambassadorhawg View Post
    Your area may well have above average rainfall for the year but that is not necessarily enough to bring it out of a drought status. It could take another 1-2 years of above average rainfall to bring things back to normal.
    Previous drought maps I have seen showed my county being out of drought in Feb or Mar after quite a bit of above average rainfall. We have only continued that trend. June was a record-setting wet month here. That is why I asked for the source of the map, so I could understand the data it is based on.

Additionally, places on that map not shaded at all (much of IL and central IN where I was over the weekend) are most definitely in major drought conditions with burn bans and heavier water restrictions than I had to deal with last summer in the TX drought.

I have no water restrictions or burn bans, yet I am listed as in a drought while places under severe water restrictions and burn bans are? I want to know how that map was created.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I live in east-central Iowa. It's bad here, the corn looks good but there may not be any kernels on the cobs. 3/4 of in this month 1.77 last month.

since 4/10/2009
    this is the drought map I'm used to looking at. source clearly identified.

this one shows my area a bit dry, but it's a little bit older and misses the recent rainfall event in TX that dumped 4 inches at my place and over 15 inches in some others. that would probably be enough to change the way this map looks in TX.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Who's living in drought-stricken America?-noaa-droughts.png  

The White Jeff W
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffw-13 View Post
    Very dry here in Western PA for weeks. Makes for some fast trails and I have more time to ride because my lawn doesnt need mowed
    It hasn't stopped raining since I posted this
    No moss...

Members who have read this thread: 0