mtbr member
    May 2012

Who here cooks for a living?

Just curious who the other chefs on the forum are. Maybe where you work if you care to disclose, a specialty of yours, the favorite cuisine to cook/eat. And anything else.

Suckin wind like a boss
    i do. was one of the opening sous chefs at fat fish blue in downtown cleveland, and my gumbo is still on the menu im told. now, i work the wood-fired broiler at a little steakhouse south of cleveland.

done the corporate gig enough times to know that corporate sucks, but sometimes you need to deal with the suck in order to pay the bills. i like not being corporate now, a little more relaxed and a lot less stress.
    If you arent bleeding, you arent riding hard enough.
    http://about.me/bigterry

Quote Originally Posted by Hutch3637 View Post
    I don't need sex. My life fvcks me daily.

mtbr member
    I went to culinary school in Pittsburgh but once I finished and got back home, jobs in the industry were scarce unless I wanted to work at someplace like Applebee's, which is did while in school. I ended up taking a construction job while looking, then a job working for the state in a correctional facility, then into law enforcement, and I haven't cooked since except at home.

Big Terry, funny you mention gumbo...the chef I worked under that prompted me to go to school was a pretty highly regarded French/Cajun chef from Louisiana. Ends up being one of my favorite styles of cuisine.
    Kona Big Unit SS
    Kona Private Jake SSCX
    DiamondBack Release 3
    Norco Torrent HT 7.1

meow meow
    i eat for a living

AZ
    banned
    I would starve if I had to cook for a living, yes its that bad. Respect to you guys that can do it well.

fading away
    I cook for my family. I donít get paid. All I get is complaints, as theyíve become spoiled rotten. I donít know of anyone else who gets restaurant-quality home cooked meals every day.
    goodbye cruel world. I am leaving you today.

mtbr member
    Surprised there aren't more cooks/chefs in here. I worked in restaurants for about 7 years, lots of outdoor enthusiasts in that industry, at least in SLC/Park City. Cooked for 3 years (prep staff, then line cook), switched over to waiting tables when I realized how much money they were making in 3 hrs of work and I started taking college seriously.

It was great back in the day, at least for a single guy -- when I wasn't in school, I was free to ride/ski/hike/whatever every day until 4 or 5. No lift lines, crowded trails or anything like that. I really enjoyed cooking, and thought seriously about going to cullinary school and becoming a chef. But thinking about having to work evenings and weekends when having a family made feel like it wasn't the right career for me. But I do think about opening a restaurant some day if/when I retire from my current career, the kids are grown, I have some money stashed away, and I won't mind working evenings or weekends again.
    '11 Specialized Enduro Expert for the trails
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road

mtbr member
    Cooked for years at a number of Italian restaurants around Atlanta, ended up at a pizza joint for a few years while finishing up college. Then I turned pseudo vegetarian and started cooking killer food at home, now I only eat out when I'm going somewhere to eat something I dont want to prep at home.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    spent years as a meat cook in a large kosher kitchen while in school. moved to corporate ( various steak houses) and bailed soon after. pay sucked for the stress.

i miss chulunt but its not worth cooking for 1.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I think there are plenty of cooks here, though maybe not many have seen the thread yet.

Cooking is fantastic IMO, I cook for a 4 diamond hotel right now, but my passion is in dairy/gluten free and protein packed meals. So I spend most of my time coming up with ways to make things people are familiar with in a way where they can;t recognize that it is made with any "alternative" materials.

Creating is awesome. But I have a feeling the corporate part of my cooking journey is coming to a close. Getting more interested in places that want to play with the food rather than make common things available.

Members who have read this thread: 0