White water kayak paddle recommendations- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2008

White water kayak paddle recommendations

I picked up a white water kayak and my 95" paddle is way too long for it. The kayak is about 23" wide and I'm 6'. Based on a quick google search, I think I'd like something around 200cm.

Not looking to break the bank as I don't kayak that much. Any recommendations?

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Take up mountain biking and choose a large frame with large clown like wheels.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    Take up mountain biking and choose a large frame with large clown like wheels.

Great advice for me 10 years ago -- are clown wheels now, 26"?

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by bank5 View Post
    I picked up a white water kayak and my 95" paddle is way too long for it. The kayak is about 23" wide and I'm 6'. Based on a quick google search, I think I'd like something around 200cm.

Not looking to break the bank as I don't kayak that much. Any recommendations?
    I've been paddling now since the mid 90's and the exact same height as you. I'd recommend a paddle by Adventure Technology. They have one called a Titan in 197cm or 205cm.
    I'd definitely check them out. They have great customer service and a great reputation in the whitewater world.

Hope that maybe some help and SYOTR (see you on the river)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by m.westsc View Post
    I've been paddling now since the mid 90's and the exact same height as you. I'd recommend a paddle by Adventure Technology. They have one called a Titan in 197cm or 205cm.
    I'd definitely check them out. They have great customer service and a great reputation in the whitewater world.

Hope that maybe some help and SYOTR (see you on the river)

...and Werner is another great brand with a great reputation in the industry.

Just make sure to think some on what kind of paddling you like most.

Being a beginner general river running is best so you can learn how to read the water, catch eddie lines, roll, etc.

When I started in the sport I used a 205cm and was primarily river running.

If you look at playboating as your passion you'll move to a smaller length. Creek boating you'll maybe go to a 200cm with a wider blade.

You'll certainly meet some well experienced and established paddlers along the way so listen and take some of their advice along the way.

The whitewater community is not too much different from the MTB community in the sharing of "how to's" and learning new skills.

Just be patient and take your time in learning it pays off big time with the fun factor as you progress.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Thanks for the tips. Seems like no place around me including REI sell entry level whitewater paddles. But I may pick up the AT Titan online. I have a couple Werner SUP paddles and have always been happy with them.

Is 0 feather typical for white water? I don't kayak a ton as the river I run is often too low, but my 95" long paddle seems way too big with my 23" wide kayak

I'm glad you started this thread. I'm in prime kayaking country and have been wanting to take the sport up. Someday perhaps.
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by bank5 View Post
    Thanks for the tips. Seems like no place around me including REI sell entry level whitewater paddles. But I may pick up the AT Titan online. I have a couple Werner SUP paddles and have always been happy with them.

Is 0 feather typical for white water? I don't kayak a ton as the river I run is often too low, but my 95" long paddle seems way too big with my 23" wide kayak

30 degree feather is the standard. And what most mfgs offer. There are a few I've seen and paddled with a 45 degree. Overall I like the 30 the best.

Yes, 95" is rather long. That's more touring or sea kayak territory.
    I think you'd be well set with a 200-205cm

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    I'm glad you started this thread. I'm in prime kayaking country and have been wanting to take the sport up. Someday perhaps.
    Where are you located?
    I'm near western North Carolina and Upstate SC.

Quote Originally Posted by m.westsc View Post
    Where are you located?
    I'm near western North Carolina and Upstate SC.

Northern Colorado.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Northern Colorado.
    Yes you are in prime kayaking country!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Dirtjunkie and bank5. Two good whitewater kayaking forums that can give you links into equipment reviews, manufacturers, skills, knowledge sharing , river information, etc. are Boatertalk.com and Mountainbuzz.com

They've both been around on the web since the early/mid 90's and have been good resources for the above and some networking to well experienced and skilled paddlers likely in your areas of the country.

Thanks, good info. I'll bookmark that for when I'm ready to jump in.

Hermit
    I've beat the heck out of my H2O paddle, but a quick check of their website shows that they are not 'entry priced' any longer.

My brother has used his Werner for years and years. They're really popular with paddlers, and have a couple of lower price range paddles.

The only brand I personally would never use would be seven2. The one I owned was the ONLY piece of whitewater gear that I've ever owned that I was disappointed in (besides my own skills .

If you want more advice check out boatertalk.com. They may even have some good used paddles for sale in Gear Swap.

As far as feather, it depends on the user. I paddled zero degrees for years, but have moved up to a 15 degree feather.

Welcome to the world of whitewater. There aren't as many of us as there were back when every car commercial had a kayak on the roof rack, but it's a pretty good group of people in general. Check out local paddling clubs to start learning where to go and what to do.

If you're in the Appalachian region of the US, I might have a link to an interesting whitewater map.

Steve Z
    Pedaling when it's dry
    And paddling when it's wet

My insignificant blog:
    http://swampboy62.blogspot.com/

Thanks Steve, good info noted. I'll be talking with you in the future on your thoughts. I'm not ready yet but I'm sure my driving force for this sport will overwhelm me.
    Last edited by DIRTJUNKIE; 06-28-2017 at 05:32 PM.

Hermit
    Quote Originally Posted by swampboy62 View Post
    If you're in the Appalachian region of the US, I might have a link to an interesting whitewater map.

Steve Z
    WTF, why not just share the wealth (he asks himself in a post where he quotes himself)?

Here's a link to a folder where you can download print quality files of the 11 Appalachian region whitewater watershed maps that I spent 7 years making. They're made to print out on 24x36 paper, and are great wall posters, as well as a valuable resource to help coordinate precip readings with creek conditions.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...2M?usp=sharing

I think that they're all set to share, so people can download copies. Enjoy!

Steve
    Pedaling when it's dry
    And paddling when it's wet

My insignificant blog:
    http://swampboy62.blogspot.com/