Sweep the leg!

What was your first "imaginary" MTB?

I imagined I had a Tomac Raleigh. I saw Tomac at Iron Horse in 1991 and fell in love with it. Especially with the drop bars. When I worked at Yellow Jersey we sold one so I did get to build one and ride it up the street, then I never saw it again.
    Authorities speculate that speed may have been a factor. They are also holding gravity and inertia for questioning.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I've imagined I was someone's seat, does that count?
    Everyone is entitled to my opinion.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Great thread idea! This is what my 18 speed Apollo used to be

I've never even seen one in the flesh, but my LBS had a pair of Manitou 2's that I used to lust over when I was a kid!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What was your first "imaginary" MTB?-p1000061.jpg  

Last edited by knockbox; 04-04-2012 at 10:08 AM.

Mantis, Paramount, Campy
    Quote Originally Posted by Caffeine Powered View Post
    ... When I worked at Yellow Jersey...

Yellow Jersey

Is that the one that ended up at Budget? I remember seeing it/them at both shops. It'd be strange if two of those bikes ended up in Madison.

Mantis, Paramount, Campy
    First "imaginary" bike would have been a Mantis ProFloater circa 1991

mtbr member
    holy shite, caffeine! that rig brings back memories! i wanted his rig the year before...yeti's C-26 with the drops and the tension disc. The one he rode for the 1st mtb worlds in durango! damn, those were the days ... tomac and furtado on yetis!

On wuss patrol
    That Mantis Pro Floater was pretty advanced for '91. Single Pivot designs now aren't much different.

Mine was a '95 Foes Weasel that my bro-in-law rode. He still rides it but my real stuff now is better.
    Sometimes, you need to go fast enough that the trail is a blur to find clarity. -- Wild Bill

poser Administrator
    I had 2 imaginary bikes: The specialized Epic which was a titanium lugged carbon tubed frame similar to the Raleigh and a Team Grellow Fat Chance Yo-Eddy with Specialized Ground Control Extreme 2.5 tires.

Both those bikes were seminal in my early days of mountain biking and while I had a ritchey at the time it was antiquated with the short lived under the chainstay U-brake and black painted rims (WTF?). Whenever I was out riding my bike I imagined I was Ned on the Epic or Chris Chance on the Yo-Eddy.

specialized: 1993-94 Specialized S-Works Epic Ultimate | Retrobike

Fat Chance Yo-Eddy Grellow:

MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

Sweep the leg!
    Quote Originally Posted by knockbox View Post

I've never even seen one in the flesh, but my LBS had a pair of Manitou 2's that I used to lust over when I was a kid!
    Greg Herbold had one with Mag 21's for the DH at Iron Horse in '91.
    Authorities speculate that speed may have been a factor. They are also holding gravity and inertia for questioning.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I was always a Manitou man (boy) until I knew better! Not that I could afford either back then on paper round money! Man, all this nostalgia is giving me an urge to build something retro!

I remember this custom Marin that 'Earthquake' Jake Watson used to ride with custom Rock Shox rear end.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What was your first "imaginary" MTB?-jw-msa1994.jpg  

Last edited by knockbox; 04-04-2012 at 10:17 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I love that grellow bike. Makes me want to paint my bike.

Sweep the leg!
    Quote Originally Posted by knockbox View Post
    I remember this custom Marin the 'Earthquake' Jake Watson used to ride with custom Rock Shox rear end.
    That's the format Hairball was rolling. If I remember right his was a Miyata.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Yeah, as far as I remember HB always rode Miyata back then... I don't think the Rock Shox rear made it work any better though!!!

Just re-uploaded my pics as they had disappeared

Picture Unrelated
    I remember constantly wishing I had a Rhygin Ra. Might not have been the first bike I imagined owning but it seems to be the most vivid when I recall.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

REALLY?
    I imagined fat tired snow/sand bikes (before there were any).

I also imagined fat tired 700c bikes (now called 29ers - before there were any).

Glad to see the fat snow/sand bikes - however I can live without 29ers and wish that was one idea I had that should have never come into fruitation or caught on.
    DJ, "Because I'm sure the world need's more dudes stalking the woods stoned out of their mind carrying a deadly weapon."

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I routinely imagine myself riding my local trails on a carbon scalpel. Its not old like most of yalls but still I do imagine it.
    "Your opinion may vary, but it's stupid." -Rich Dillen

cmg
    passed out in your garden
    being a late starter (only been interested in MTB for the last 2 years), I ended up buying the bike I dreamed about

never thought I'd spend so much on a pushie , but geez is it fun
    always mad and usually drunk......

REALLY?
    This seems more like a "dream bike" thread or "what famous racer bike would you own" thread.

None of that ever happened to me, I never "imagined" a bike, not like that anyway - if I did, it was always a boutique custom "one-off" build thing that was more in my imagination.

For me, I walked into a bike shop one day in San Luis Obispo "Broad Street Bikes" (as a wedding present 2003 or 04) ex-wife said buy/custom order whatever you want, write your own check. I wrote a check out to the tune of about 3,500.00 w/ a fully equipped XTR GT Psyclone (one of the pretty yellow ones)...and I been in love with that frame ever since (almost 20 years now).

It was on the showroom floor originally built up with a mid level parts, like LX/XT mix, original Cro-Mo fork - I had them completely strip it, and then add first generation XTR, Cooks Bros cranks, Control Tech seatpost/stem, Advocet Ti saddle, and all the other little race goodies.
    DJ, "Because I'm sure the world need's more dudes stalking the woods stoned out of their mind carrying a deadly weapon."

Members who have read this thread: 0