_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

"If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention."

Heather Heyer

mtbr member
    Looks like a 2016 to me.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    LOL
    ďMid engineĒ oh brother. The 2020 was the first ďmid engineĒ Vette, a C8. The one pictured is a C7 which is the generation just before the mid engine. Itís a front engine rocket ship.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

Fart smeller
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    LOL
    ďMid engineĒ oh brother. The 2020 was the first ďmid engineĒ Vette, a C8. The one pictured is a C7 which is the generation just before the mid engine. Itís a front engine rocket ship.
    Amazing car AND an amazing value. America can still do some things right.

2016 though? Really?? Dang.

Heather Heyer

Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    Amazing car AND an amazing value. America can still do some things right.

2016 though? Really?? Dang.
    Once the 2020 mid engine hit the C7ís tanked. An amazing car for a great price right now. I bet in two to five years time the front engine C7ís will hit the their mark. Many Anurucans still love a straight line, still very corner-able rocket ship.
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    The C7 is considered a mid engine because the engine is behind the front wheels. The engine is in front of the driver instead of behind the driver like most mid engine cars. Also the C7 has the transmission in the back with the rear end. This makes for great weight balance.

M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
    I was going to guess 2018. Good to see I was only two years off the mark. I used to be a motorhead but apparently I am more of a bicycle guy these days.
    Donít frail and blow if youíre going to Braille and Flow.

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    The C7 was introduced as a '14 model and continued through the '19 model year. The C8 mid-engined cars are just beginning to hit the roads. My son took this on hwy 101 last week.

What year?-img_5691.jpg

I used to be big into Corvettes, having owned 3. The mid-engine design has been hinted at for more than 50 years and was closest to actually making it into production as a '73 model. The Arab oil embargo, emissions controls, insurance costs, internal costs and social issues kept that from happening. Finally, after he is no longer around to see it, Zora's dream is being realized. Honestly, it's the first new Corvette I've considered in 30 years.
    Goya! It's got what plants crave. It's got electrolytes. Livin in an Idiocracy.

mtbr member
    I have seen a lot of C8s around, the one you never see is the C7 ZR1.

What year?-231135_front_3-4_web.jpg

Talk about a cornering rocket ship here is the older C6 ZR1 chasing a Murcielago SV

Dont make me go all Jonathan Winters on this gas station.

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Yeah, any of the ZR-1 cars are uber-desirable. I've driven a Z06, but not the ZR-1. The Z06 was crazy enough.

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    This was my '69

What year?-1969-corvette-010.jpg

I have no pictures of my '62. Nor of my '79 (which was a nice, but pretty forgettable car).

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    ^ 62 was a great year for the Corvette.

Quote Originally Posted by John Kuhl View Post
    The C7 is considered a mid engine because the engine is behind the front wheels. The engine is in front of the driver instead of behind the driver like most mid engine cars. Also the C7 has the transmission in the back with the rear end. This makes for great weight balance.
    Not a true mid engine like what they just and finally launched in 2020. Like Chuck said itís been hinted at and thought of for decades. Still an amazing design like you said with great weight transfer.

The 2009 ZR-1 would be the one Iíd want of this era. It had a plexiglass window in the hood displaying the blower. Gotta show off 638 HP which was huge for that time period. I remember seeing a gun metal grey one shortly after it was launched. Iíve only seen a handful of them since.

What year?-6fec5d8f-0bc5-4c3a-89b6-c9ab3187c4c6.jpeg
    Last edited by DIRTJUNKIE; 06-19-2020 at 09:30 AM.

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    The 2009 ZR-1 would be the one Iíd want of this era. It had a plexiglass window in the hood displaying the blower. Gotta show off 638 HP which was huge for that time period. I remember seeing a gun metal grey one shortly after it was launched. Iíve only seen a handful of them since.
    A friend of mine in AZ had a C6 Z06 and decided to trade up for a ZR-1. He drove it for a few months but said it was just too much power for him. Now he has an '18 Z06 but is looking at a C8.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckha62 View Post
    A friend of mine in AZ had a C6 Z06 and decided to trade up for a ZR-1. He drove it for a few months but said it was just too much power for him. Now he has an '18 Z06 but is looking at a C8.
    Nice! Boys and their toys.

mtbr member
    back at the performance shop we did several ZR-1s. smaller supercharger pulley, headers, exhaust and tuning pushed it right around 900hp.

Quote Originally Posted by azimiut View Post
    back at the performance shop we did several ZR-1s. smaller supercharger pulley, headers, exhaust and tuning pushed it right around 900hp.
    Thatís up in scary street horsepower zone. All that power on slippery streets with tires that wonít hook up. Add in novice drivers and itís a recipe for disaster. No wonder so many wreck high horsepower street cars.

Up In Smoke
    Plenty of power

What year?-vette.png

Fart smeller
    The C7 was introduced as a '14 model and continued through the '19 model year. The C8 mid-engined cars are just beginning to hit the roads. My son took this on hwy 101 last week.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5691.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	232.1 KB 
ID:	1342429

I used to be big into Corvettes, having owned 3. The mid-engine design has been hinted at for more than 50 years and was closest to actually making it into production as a '73 model. The Arab oil embargo, emissions controls, insurance costs, internal costs and social issues kept that from happening. Finally, after he is no longer around to see it, Zora's dream is being realized. Honestly, it's the first new Corvette I've considered in 30 years.
    They still can not design a good looking rear end! For years now the rear ends have been hideous. It's like they run out of designer $$ as they get to the rear of the car.
    Last edited by Finch Platte; 06-20-2020 at 01:01 AM. Reason: Sump Trucks

Heather Heyer

Fart smeller
    This was my '69

Name:	1969-corvette-010.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	182.9 KB 
ID:	1342441

I have no pictures of my '62. Nor of my '79 (which was a nice, but pretty forgettable car).
    Beauty!

Heather Heyer

No known cure
    My brother had a C6. He bought while visiting CA and drove it home to LA (he worked as a underwater welder)Once home, the first thing he did was have a NASCAR race shop yank the motor and hot rod it. It dyno'd at 200mph and sounded amazing. I rode with him through the desert and laughed as crotch rockets faded in the side mirror.
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

Fart smeller
    Quote Originally Posted by Train Wreck View Post
    Plenty of power

Name:	VETTE.png 
Views:	31 
Size:	657.3 KB 
ID:	1342751
    Pshhhht- my ebike could haul those out of the water.

Heather Heyer

mtbr member
    Thatís up in scary street horsepower zone. All that power on slippery streets with tires that wonít hook up. Add in novice drivers and itís a recipe for disaster. No wonder so many wreck high horsepower street cars.
    Took a built one down the dragstrip and ran a high ten. Didn't really hook up for the first 1/8th. Forgot what the trap speed was.

Took a built one down the dragstrip and ran a high ten. Didn't really hook up for the first 1/8th. Forgot what the trap speed was.
    Spinning the rear wheels for half the track is no way to go through life son. Lol

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    It takes big balls to ride a crotch rocket at very high speeds.

Fart smeller
    I was in a local cigar pub yesterday and picked up the latest issue of Cigar Aficionado without really looking at it. Discovered later that there's an article on the new Vette within.

You can't read most of it on their site, but I thought it was cool they had it in there: https://www.cigaraficionado.com/arti...ext-generation

"Among the options is a magnetorheological (MR) suspension. Using a magnetically sensitive fluid in the dampers, the computer-controlled system is able to switch each individual shock absorber from soft to firm, or anywhere in between, in the time it takes the Corvette to travel just an inch at 60 miles per hour. On track it improves cornering and stability, while on the street it makes potholes all but vanish."

And: "Another option raises the nose about an inch to better clear speed bumps, snowdrifts and steep driveways- and it can be programmed to remember where to lift itself up automatically."

Heather Heyer

Yep, sweet technology. For the price and performance it offers it blows all other super cars away.

Fart smeller
    What year?-chevrolet-1980-corvette-4dr-1-.jpg

Heather Heyer

冷 A 4-door conversation. Glad they picked one of the worst years to do it to.
    Last edited by DIRTJUNKIE; 06-23-2020 at 08:13 PM.

Fart smeller
    🤮 A 4-door conversation. Glad they picked one of the worse years to do it to.
    Who wants to have a 4-door conversation with DJ?

Heather Heyer

Who wants to have a 4-door conversation with DJ?
    I do, I do.

mtbr member
    I bleed Ford Blue but a C7 zr1? Yeah, I'd be all over it.
    C8? Affordable supercar, congrats to Chebby.
    Niner Jet 9 RDO, Scalpel 29, XTC 650b, 04 Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Trek Rigid SS - No suspension, no gears....no problem

mtbr member
    Spinning the rear wheels for half the track is no way to go through life son. Lol
    probably should have left some kind of traction control on, but where is the fun in that? BTW if you have a chevy hold the traction control button for 7 seconds or more and it will turn off all traction systems off.

probably should have left some kind of traction control on, but where is the fun in that? BTW if you have a chevy hold the traction control button for 7 seconds or more and it will turn off all traction systems off.
    Traction control settings are for wimps.

Iíve only had one car that had that feature. A 2002 Mustang GT, I left it off all the time. Nothing funner that banging the gears with a manual V8 without traction control.

No known cure
    Traction control settings are for wimps.
    I've had two Audis that had traction control. It led to an unsafe situation on an icy uphill when it cut power to the motor after briefly slipping. Once disabled I was good to go.

Also, you cant power through unplowed roads of pitch the car into four wheel drifts on the mountain highways here with TC engaged.

poser Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post
    I've had two Audis that had traction control. It led to an unsafe situation on an icy uphill when it cut power to the motor after briefly slipping. Once disabled I was good to go.

Also, you cant power through unplowed roads of pitch the car into four wheel drifts on the mountain highways here with TC engaged.
    traction control is for people that don't understand car dynamics. Threshold braking, trail braking, drifting, and clutch modulation are all defeated by traction control. I used to race autocross and bought my dream car at the time, a v6 VW jetta GLX, and never realized it had traction control. Instead of balanced dynamics it began grabbing brakes as soon as it began to slide, which definitely made my cornering less fast as with a FWD you kind want some slide in there. Anyway I was never able to determine how to defeat it and sold the car and gave up racing.

That said the later corvettes are a deal and half when it comes to power, performance, and price. You can get a great one for what it would cost to get a base German car, with performance to match an older exotic, and fit and finish to compare. I think GM had to do the mid engine because the elderly corvette enthusiasts had been demanding it since the original prototypes, were teased by it through the CERV prototypes, and figured they would go to the grave without ever seeing one. With Ford releasing the GT, then the new GT, GM needed to step into the mid engine realm, at least since the fiero, which has an interesting corvette related history as well, with GM being afraid it would detract from the corvette flagship so saddling it with a small powerplant and cut rate finishes so it would compete. I love the idea of undercutting yourself because you have no idea how to sell 2 sport car models, no wonder they needed to be bailed out.

Still I would DD a corvette or even better a manual equipped Cad CTSV, the 4 door corvette, and more unicorn, the CTSV Wagon with a manual, because 5 doors.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

mtbr member
    I would still rock a c5 vette especially for track use. simple, cheap, excellent performance.

only time traction control has been good for me was in soft deep dirt in a 2wd truck. we were cutting across a recently plowed farm field and it stopped the tires from sinking in.

if you have a mercedes and you want everything turned off, all safety features even ABS, they actually have a dyno mode in the settings. I don't remember how to get into it. It has been a while.

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    The C5 has a light and nimble feel that other Corvettes lacked. I'm anxious to get behind the wheel of a C8.

mtbr member
    the C5 was like a big miata with power.

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Changing directions slightly... The best tactile feel for a sports car that I've experienced is (dare I say...) the Honda S2000. I never thought I'd like a Honda, but these things are cool as shit!

mtbr member
    Changing directions slightly... The best tactile feel for a sports car that I've experienced is (dare I say...) the Honda S2000. I never thought I'd like a Honda, but these things are cool as shit!
    Cool car and like a miata or a lotus exige blast to drive, but I have a hard time driving them. it is not my body size but my shoe size. S2000 suspension and balance is well done. I have never seen a RWD car wear the tires perfectly flat like the S2000.

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Cool car and like a miata or a lotus exige blast to drive, but I have a hard time driving them. it is not my body size but my shoe size. S2000 suspension and balance is well done. I have never seen a RWD car wear the tires perfectly flat like the S2000.
    Yeah, the footwell is tight, for sure. I used to have a pair of driving shoes for autocross, but those are long gone.

I love the feel of the Miata, but they were always so underpowered (now, I'll admit I haven't driven one in about fifteen years, so the newer cars are probably a lot better). The S2K however with a high redline is just so much fun if you're ready to drive above 6K (and I am).

I always liked those Honda S2000ís. Iíve never driven one but I raced one with my 2002 GT Mustang. It wasnít a quarter mile race but rather a freeway 65MPH start race. Pretty close race but I got him.

mtbr member
    Yeah, the footwell is tight, for sure. I used to have a pair of driving shoes for autocross, but those are long gone.

I love the feel of the Miata, but they were always so underpowered (now, I'll admit I haven't driven one in about fifteen years, so the newer cars are probably a lot better). The S2K however with a high redline is just so much fun if you're ready to drive above 6K (and I am).
    put an intake on an S2K and listen to the Vtec. brrrr 6200rpm BRAAAHHHHHHH. I loved dynoing them. At Vtec the power curve was a straight line at a 45* angle till the end. Had a guy bring a built motor S2K and we ran it to almost 11k rpm.

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    put an intake on an S2K and listen to the Vtec. brrrr 6200rpm BRAAAHHHHHHH. I loved dynoing them. At Vtec the power curve was a straight line at a 45* angle till the end. Had a guy bring a built motor S2K and we ran it to almost 11k rpm.
    I'll bet that thing was a runner! If I could find the right deal, I'd be all over one. Now though... For the first time in my adult life, I find myself enamored with a Porsche and I never had been a Porsche-phile. The Cayman though... Egads! That thing really does something for me.

mtbr member
    I want a Gremlin with straight pipes through the hood.

Sent from my moto g(6) forge using Tapatalk
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

No known cure
    Quote Originally Posted by rockcrusher View Post
    traction control is for people that don't understand car dynamics. Threshold braking, trail braking, drifting, and clutch modulation are all defeated by traction control. I used to race autocross and bought my dream car at the time, a v6 VW jetta GLX, and never realized it had traction control. Instead of balanced dynamics it began grabbing brakes as soon as it began to slide, which definitely made my cornering less fast as with a FWD you kind want some slide in there. Anyway I was never able to determine how to defeat it and sold the car and gave up racing.

That said the later corvettes are a deal and half when it comes to power, performance, and price. You can get a great one for what it would cost to get a base German car, with performance to match an older exotic, and fit and finish to compare. I think GM had to do the mid engine because the elderly corvette enthusiasts had been demanding it since the original prototypes, were teased by it through the CERV prototypes, and figured they would go to the grave without ever seeing one. With Ford releasing the GT, then the new GT, GM needed to step into the mid engine realm, at least since the fiero, which has an interesting corvette related history as well, with GM being afraid it would detract from the corvette flagship so saddling it with a small powerplant and cut rate finishes so it would compete. I love the idea of undercutting yourself because you have no idea how to sell 2 sport car models, no wonder they needed to be bailed out.

Still I would DD a corvette or even better a manual equipped Cad CTSV, the 4 door corvette, and more unicorn, the CTSV Wagon with a manual, because 5 doors.
    I have a thing for wagons and would love a CTSV with a manual. I had a Audi Allroad with a manual and a built twin turbo motor (Stage 2).

I was in Iceland renting a car and told the girl I wanted the European variant of the GTI that was outside. She said I'd have to choose something else because it was a manual and Americans cant drive manuals. I had a good laugh at that.

I'll bet that thing was a runner! If I could find the right deal, I'd be all over one. Now though... For the first time in my adult life, I find myself enamored with a Porsche and I never had been a Porsche-phile. The Cayman though... Egads! That thing really does something for me.
    *Face palm*

Any GTO enthusiast would cringe. Lol !!

I get it though. Some cars just get cha. We evolve, dare I say.

No known cure
    I test drove a Cayman S. The kids were driving themselves so there wasn't a need for four doors anymore. I had my Audi S6 in for service and walked next door and took a Cayman S out. It was underwhelming and no where near the rowdiness of the S6 but I got that out of my system eventhough there's over 250 mountain highway turns from the valley floor to home.

mtbr member
    I always had a thing for the 996 turbos. it does not take much to make one a monster. In a day get new turbos, software, exhaust, intake and you are right at 650-700hp. do a bit of suspension work and what a machine.

Super Moderator SuperModerator
    They still can not design a good looking rear end! For years now the rear ends have been hideous. It's like they run out of designer $$ as they get to the rear of the car.
    A neighbour has one and the whole car looks ace when up close and personal.

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    I test drove a Cayman S. The kids were driving themselves so there wasn't a need for four doors anymore. I had my Audi S6 in for service and walked next door and took a Cayman S out. It was underwhelming and no where near the rowdiness of the S6 but I got that out of my system eventhough there's over 250 mountain highway turns from the valley floor to home.
    Yeah, I get that. As much as I like a fast car, as I age my needs are becoming more nuanced, for lack of a better word. The whole package needs to be balanced and the rough edges refined.

As for an Audi... They just never appealed to me. They do keep bread on my brother's table (own's an independent European shop). Great cars while they're under warranty, though.

mtbr member
    cayma/boxster kind of a boring car. it is so well balanced it goes where you point it. we called them an intro to performance car. they don't like to get silly.

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Looking back through this thread, I don't think that Finch got a good look at the mid-engined 'Vette. The pic I posted was from a rear 3/4 perspective and while obvious to some of us car guys, it's not the view with the most obvious tell-tale signs.

Here's two pics of the C8, Finch:
    What year?-2020-chevrolet-corvette-stingray-c8.jpgWhat year?-blue_c8.jpg

Note the side intakes behind the doors and the super short front end with the cab forward design. Both tell tale signs that there's no engine up front.

Fart smeller
    Looking back through this thread, I don't think that Finch got a good look at the mid-engined 'Vette. The pic I posted was from a rear 3/4 perspective and while obvious to some of us car guys, it's not the view with the most obvious tell-tale signs.

Here's two pics of the C8, Finch:

Name:	2020-Chevrolet-Corvette-Stingray-C8.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	112.9 KB 
ID:	1343985Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Blue_C8.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	170.1 KB 
ID:	1343987

Note the side intakes behind the doors and the super short front end with the cab forward design. Both tell tale signs that there's no engine up front.
    Sah weeeeeeeeeet!

Heather Heyer

No known cure
    Yeah, I get that. As much as I like a fast car, as I age my needs are becoming more nuanced, for lack of a better word. The whole package needs to be balanced and the rough edges refined.

As for an Audi... They just never appealed to me. They do keep bread on my brother's table (own's an independent European shop). Great cars while they're under warranty, though.
    I was lucky I guess. I traded in the Allroad at 49,000 just before the warranty was up and had not a single issue. The S6 went to 195,000 with the only issue being a coil pack. Now i drive a built TJ Rubicon and I'm always underneath it.

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    I was lucky I guess. I traded in the Allroad at 49,000 just before the warranty was up and had not a single issue. The S6 went to 195,000 with the only issue being a coil pack. Now i drive a built TJ Rubicon and I'm always underneath it.
    Very nice! ...except for the being underneath the Rubicon part.

No known cure
    Very nice! ...except for the being underneath the Rubicon part.
    Buy the ticket; take the ride