meow meow

what computer are you on?

im typing from my old macbook, got it maybe 5 years ago. think im getting a new one this summer. what is everyone else on? are all the cool kids on smartphones now? also, if there are any computer geeks out there that would care to advise me on my upcoming purchase? im thinking a macbook air 13.3'' 4gb ram 128gb flash storage. all i really need is microsoft office, internet, and to edit the occasional gopro vid.

Ride More, Work Less
    I'm on a ~2 year old Mac Book Pro 15". I've heard a rumor that the next generation of the Pros will be more like the Air form factor. I'm in if that is the case. I need a larger screen, but definitely want to keep the computing power and screen size.

Digging in the pain cave.
    While I'm using my iphone more and more, I still use my two year old 13" Macbook everyday. I just love it. If I ever upgrade, it will be the 27" imac.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    iPad 2
    Who cares if your helmet matches your bike? And for the love of god, please use the search feature!

STEEL IS REAL
    Nov 2008
    I'm on an 'Ode Skuul Desktop (2 years new). I still have never owned a Smartphone or a Laptop. I'm afrain that if I did, I'd be online even more than I already am. I'm risking divorse already as it is from being online so much, lol!
    life is... "All About Bikes"...

Rui
    mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Android

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I-Pad 1, sadly.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    This one right in front of me. I was going to use the other one, but it's over there.

All fat, all the time.
    Older ibm thinkpad, or lately my droid...just easier.

meow meow
    Quote Originally Posted by heyyall View Post
    I'm on a ~2 year old Mac Book Pro 15". I've heard a rumor that the next generation of the Pros will be more like the Air form factor. I'm in if that is the case. I need a larger screen, but definitely want to keep the computing power and screen size.
    that would be sick, but i dont know if i need all the computing power of a pro.

Afric Pepperbird
    2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo iMac.

I'm an Apple fanboi all the way!

M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
    Iím on my computer. Microsoft doesnít own it.
    Uh oh! Someone just stole your KOM!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    iMac, iPad, iPhone.

Member of The Yeti Tribe
    Currently my HTC thunderbolt.. But I also use my DROIDX and my original droid.

I also use my Asus Transformer quite a bit too. I love the big 10 tablet.

Lastly and least used is my i7 hp laptop. It still runs like a champ but I really want to replace it with a 17 inch macbook pro sometime.

Sent from my mobile telephone.
    Stop this Derailleur Madness!!.... De-Rail-er

See what the God of bikes has to say about it..

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    4 year old MBP, probably get another one since i'm drinking the mac koolaid would definitely consider an ultrabook though

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    home built. Asus X79 platform mobo, hex core Intel I7, 12GB RAM, SSD for the OS and programs, 7 TB or so spread among several internal and external drives for storage, bluray writer, lightscribe dvd, thermaltake chasar case, corsair H80 cooling, and XFX 1000 watt platinum certified power supply. Weak link is the 5770 AMD Radeon..thinking about an Nvidia 680.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmySlowRdr View Post
    home built. Asus X79 platform mobo, hex core Intel I7, 12GB RAM, SSD for the OS and programs, 7 TB or so spread among several internal and external drives for storage, bluray writer, lightscribe dvd, thermaltake chasar case, corsair H80 cooling, and XFX 1000 watt platinum certified power supply. Weak link is the 5770 AMD Radeon..thinking about an Nvidia 680.
    Gibberish. Thats all I see here. Total, absolute gibberish. You might as well be typing in greek.

Gateway something or other laptop, not yet a year old.
    Dell something or other all in one desktop PC.
    IPhone4 - just got that new time suck last weekend.
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    HTC Thunderbolt when not near a real computer. Desktop is a Gateway SX2800 with 2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200 processor, 4 GB RAM and Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit. Nothing fancy, but thanks to my usual performance tweaks and removing all bloatware, this thing is FAST!

I just bought a Mac Mini to replace the dying iMac that I use to edit .mov files from older cameras. Most of those cause Windows Live Movie Maker 2011 to choke, while .mov and .mp4 files made from newer cameras can be edited on WLMM with no issues.

A word of advice: don't buy an open box Mac at Best Buy unless you already have the disc for iLife. This new computer was supposed to come with iLife '11, which has iMovie, iPhoto, and GarageBand. Those three apps were nowhere to be found, so I erased and reinstalled the OS after reading a review on Best Buy's website where the buyer had the same problem and got a message that the apps were already installed when he tried to download them after having Best Buy reinstall the OS.

I figured that a clean install would eliminate any leftover junk that would cause the same issues the reviewer had. Wrong. When I went to the app store, clicked on "Purchases", and entered my Apple ID, I got a message that those iLife apps were already assigned to another Apple ID! No worries though, as I already had the disc for iLife '09. I hooked up my external DVD writer and installed iMovie '09. Problem solved.

The reviews for iMovie '11 were pretty bad, so I'm probably better off with '09.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I work in IT so my list is a bit long.....

Currently on my iPhone 4(work)

Also use my hp 8200(work)
    Lenovo x130 laptop(work)
    HTC droid incredible
    View sonic grab running cyanogen7 custom rom
    Hp NetBook
    Home built desktop with amd black edition proc

Probably a few other rarely used devices....

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I have a 15" mac book pro that I got for christmas. So far love it and its fast. But my last computer was a 7 year old dell laptop that died. My iphone was fast compared to my dell. But after upgrading to 8 gb of ram I am able to edit my countour HD videos no problem. But it wasn't cheap. Probably too much computer for what you described you are going to do unless you get really into editing the gopro videos.

since 4/10/2009
    on my office box right now. some old Dell Optiplex 755 POS.

I also occasionally post from my home desktop, a machine I built about 4yrs ago with an Intel Quad core processor and a few decent bits and pieces with a 28" widescreen HD monitor.

I also occasionally post from my ipod touch with the tapatalk app, though it's been acting flaky lately.

lately, I've been browsing mtbr from my Logitech Revue GoogleTV box on my 40" HDTV in the Chrome browser. it's not as good at rendering text on websites, so it can be tough to read at times. it's better for viewing embedded content in posts, though. the ipod frequently cannot view vids in posts and it seems most anything embedded with HTML code in tapatalk doesn't come up right.

more rarely, I'll post from my HP DV 2000 laptop. it's on borrowed time, though, because the cooling system is inadequate. I sent it in for some repair work, and the tech did the best he could to make the heat sink bigger and force the cpu fan to run constantly. he gave it less than a year of life left. I'm going to push it as much as I can and replace it with a tablet of some sort - whatever is looking good when it's time.

my next desktop will be home built, too. looking at other ways to boost its GIS capabilities. The monitor is great for that. will max out the RAM and go SSD for the main system drive. I think I will move the bulk of my file storage to a NAS box, though. I will get an NVIDIA CUDA GPU, though.....mmmm

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    My 3rd Apple lappy, a 17" MacBook Pro. Gotta love AppleCare, Time Machine and the edu discount.

A buddy just replaced his stolen MBP. He would have gotten an Air but the storage is much less than the MBPro's drive options.

Go refurbished if you can. Same warranty, less $. Check the Apple Store web site, lower left corner under "special deals."

My sexy aluminum desktop G5 with wifi...worth $80 bucks now. So there it sits. I do everything for work and home on the lapple.

Mike

Member of The Yeti Tribe
    Quote Originally Posted by She&I View Post
    My 3rd Apple lappy, a 17" MacBook Pro. Gotta love AppleCare, Time Machine and the edu discount.

A buddy just replaced his stolen MBP. He would have gotten an Air but the storage is much less than the MBPro's drive options.

Go refurbished if you can. Same warranty, less $. Check the Apple Store web site, lower left corner under "special deals."

My sexy aluminum desktop G5 with wifi...worth $80 bucks now. So there it sits. I do everything for work and home on the lapple.

Mike
    The student discount is pretty measly. 200 off a 2600 macbook pro is a pretty lame Discount for a student when that company had a net profit of 26 billion dollars last year.

Mind my anti apple sentiment. I am just mad that I can't afford a 17 inch macbook pro to replace my current laptop. And I will always think apple over prices there hardware.

Sent from my mobile telephone.
    Stop this Derailleur Madness!!.... De-Rail-er

See what the God of bikes has to say about it..

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    the work one.

Members who have read this thread: 0