What appliances- Mtbr.com

Thread: What appliances

Axe
    Custom User Title

What appliances

Need new kitchen appliances for my new house. Range - or cooktop and wall oven, fridge and freezer, dishwasher, microwave, hood with external blower. Can spend a bit of money, but not silly amount of money.. And needs to look good.

Internet is not helping.

Rabid Lana Fan
    Bosch makes kick-ass dishwashers.
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt I here
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt II here

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Check Consumer Reports online or at your local grocery or book store. Lots of info about brand and model reliability. The only downside I've found with CR is they don't always measure how noisy any particular appliance is. I bought a highly rated LG microwave - it's reliable, cooks well, easy to set, but it's LOUD.

GONE
    Nov 2008
    congrats on the new house!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gregon2wheels View Post
    Check Consumer Reports online or at your local grocery or book store. Lots of info about brand and model reliability. The only downside I've found with CR is they don't always measure how noisy any particular appliance is. I bought a highly rated LG microwave - it's reliable, cooks well, easy to set, but it's LOUD.
    Yeah, or library. It's a good resource for this sort of purchase.

saddlemeat

Re: What appliances

The appliance reviews at Homer Depot or Lowes websites can be useful. Ordering online is quicker than ordering from the store.
    I ride with the best dogs.

I ride with tools
    I just finished a top-to-bottom complete kitchen remodel. Got a Bosch dishwasher and it is great. SO quiet you don't even know it's running. Around $750 from Lowes. Got a Sharp under-counter drawer-style microwave, works great, around $500 from Amazon. Single wall oven is Maytag, got that from Home Depot for just over $1400, free delivery, no complaints. I love to cook, especially stir-fry, so I splurged on the best gas cooktop out there, a Thermador. Put a down-draft pop-up vent behind it. The cooktop, vent hood, and blower were over $4K but worth every penny. I kept my old fridge, an Amana only 3 years old but I don't like it.

Consumer reports is your friend.

I ride with tools
    Quote Originally Posted by bsieb View Post
    The appliance reviews at Homer Depot or Lowes websites can be useful. Ordering online is quicker than ordering from the store.
    This. ^^^

Buying the dishwasher in person at Lowes was a most unpleasant experience.
    Buying the oven on-line from Home Depot was a breeze.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    All G.E. profile stuff sucks. Washer and dryer are the worst.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Beam View Post
    I just finished a top-to-bottom complete kitchen remodel. Got a Bosch dishwasher and it is great. SO quiet you don't even know it's running. Around $750 from Lowes. Got a Sharp under-counter drawer-style microwave, works great, around $500 from Amazon. Single wall oven is Maytag, got that from Home Depot for just over $1400, free delivery, no complaints. I love to cook, especially stir-fry, so I splurged on the best gas cooktop out there, a Thermador. Put a down-draft pop-up vent behind it. The cooktop, vent hood, and blower were over $4K but worth every penny. I kept my old fridge, an Amana only 3 years old but I don't like it.

Consumer reports is your friend.
    That does sound like a plan. Looked at those drawer microwaves, interesting idea. Only I will do hood, with remote blower and inline silencer. I hate fan noise. Wondering over cooktop + wall oven vs dual fuel range. I also thought about warming drawer.

Paid $7 for consumer reports online for a month. Already saved me from a mistake.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    congrats on the new house!
    The best part is 10 miles of rather nice trails out of backyard. Waterdog park in Belmont, CA.

mtbr member
    Ditto on the Consumer Reports approach. That's my reference Bible for all major purchases.
    The only important thing these days, is rhythm and melody. Rhythm...and melody.

mtbr member
    If you want to go high end, check out Viking, Thermador, or Wolf ranges and Sub-Zero refrigerators. You can't get anymore baller than Bosch for your dishwasher. If you ever plan to sell the house, you can pretty much get your investment back with high end appliances. Check out Airport Appliances in Oakland or Redwood City. They've got great deals blemished ones. My friend saved around $1500 on a Viking range that had a ding in the back, which no one will ever see.

Airport Home Appliance - Shop for appliances in Northern California

Maaaaan
    I can say from personal experience, don't buy Maytag. Utter garbage. I went with an all Maytag home a few years ago and have had nothing but problems. Handles breaking off of dishwashers for no reason.
    Washing machines with crazy shaking going on.
    A fridge that went through two compressors in 10 years.
    No kids are around and I take good care of my stuff.
    My mother and I have been replacing stuff in our homes lately, and we've been having really good luck with Samsung and Whirlpool.
    Communist Party Member Since 1917.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ericmopar View Post
    I can say from personal experience, don't buy Maytag. Utter garbage. I went with an all Maytag home a few years ago and have had nothing but problems. Handles breaking off of dishwashers for no reason.
    Washing machines with crazy shaking going on.
    A fridge that went through two compressors in 10 years.
    No kids are around and I take good care of my stuff.
    My mother and I have been replacing stuff in our homes lately, and we've been having really good luck with Samsung and Whirlpool.
    I actually had a Maytag washing machine that lasted me 20 years and it finally broke down. I probably could of changed the belt myself but I figured it was time for a new one, so I have no problem with Maytags.

I ended up with a Kenmore Elite series washer, which is made by LG. After a few months, its been awesome.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Miele makes arguably the best dishwasher. My friend and I have the same model. I got two off CL from a NBA player's remodel. Flawless.
    An induction cooktop is powerful, faster and more responsive than gas with no thousands of excess btus of waste heat dumped into your room. It doesn't heat up so safer with kids. The best models are zoneless and don't make it into the US for no good reason. IKEA has an inexpensive one.
    Electrolux, GE and Sears(Electrolux) have slide-in induction ranges.
    The Gardenweb Appliances forum has members feedback and opinions.
    Appliances Forum - GardenWeb

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Shakester View Post
    If you want to go high end, check out Viking, Thermador, or Wolf ranges and Sub-Zero refrigerators. You can't get anymore baller than Bosch for your dishwasher. If you ever plan to sell the house, you can pretty much get your investment back with high end appliances. Check out Airport Appliances in Oakland or Redwood City. They've got great deals blemished ones. My friend saved around $1500 on a Viking range that had a ding in the back, which no one will ever see.

Airport Home Appliance - Shop for appliances in Northern California
    Yeah, been there. Thinking...

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Here's the home kitchen of #1 restaurant in the world 'Fat Duck' chef Heston Blumenthal. He is self taught.
    His Gaggenau zoneless induction hob isalso available as a Thermador at a lower price.

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/3gbgSCV9hbM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

banned
    **** Milele and Thermador.

I have a Miele dishwasher and the pump stopped working so the tub just fills with water and the cycle stops.

I have a Thermador double oven and it will shut off randomly while pre-heating or cooking. Sometimes I have to go outside to reset the breaker to make it respond. The error code indicates either a touch panel or relay board error (maybe both). $250 to replace each; labor not incl. I googled it and it is a known issue, but not backed by the company.

Both units are only 5 yrs old.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by random walk View Post

I have a Miele dishwasher and the pump stopped working so the tub just fills with water and the cycle stops.
    Post the info including model on the Appliances Forum at the GardenWeb. There are a few helpful folks there who can suggest options.

gobsmacked Moderator

What appliances

I have a french door fridge with the freezer on the bottom and that is awesome. I think that's what it's called.

I use a disposal button on the counter a lot. Saves time.

The other appliances I use daily besides a gas cooktop is my coffee maker and breville toaster oven. I love the toaster. They're nothing like the toasters you grew up with. You can do a ton more.

gobsmacked Moderator

What appliances

I actually had a Maytag washing machine that lasted me 20 years and it finally broke down. I probably could of changed the belt myself but I figured it was time for a new one, so I have no problem with Maytags.

I ended up with a Kenmore Elite series washer, which is made by LG. After a few months, its been awesome.
    I have the same experience. My maytag dryer still running and I have a mismatched kenmore elite washer which is made by LG. I like it so far.

I also have a Bosch dishwasher. The thing takes freaking hour and a half for a load.

gobsmacked Moderator

What appliances

Oh! And I got my double oven and Viking range for free so ask around and look on CL.

I got the rest of my kitchen stuff at university electric. Always had good service and competitive pricing.

The washer I got at Sears after stressing over a consumer report.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Look on YouTube for Induction Cooking info.
    <iframe width="1097" height="617" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/OvC0b_HtQMg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Axe
    Custom User Title
    I am debating this. House is set for gas cooktop, I would need to pull another 240 line for induction, or even for dual-fuel range.
    Maybe add one of those compact induction cooktops next to the gas range?

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    I wholeheartedly concur with Bosch for dishwasher and washer & dryer.

Interestingly, my neighbor was in the market for Washer&Dryer at the same time we were. She did all her Consumer Reports research and decided that Kenmore was the best. We bought Bosch. She had the service technician out three times in the first six months and 8 years later we have had absolutely no issues with our Bosches.

Still running strong.

Axe
    Custom User Title

What appliances

Quote Originally Posted by chuckha62 View Post
    I wholeheartedly concur with Bosch for dishwasher and washer &amp; dryer.

Interestingly, my neighbor was in the market for Washer&amp;Dryer at the same time we were. She did all her Consumer Reports research and decided that Kenmore was the best. We bought Bosch. She had the service technician out three times in the first six months and 8 years later we have had absolutely no issues with our Bosches.

Still running strong.
    I do have a rebadged Bosch - Siemens - washer. Functions just fine for 11 years now, but recently it started to fill up with water. I assume cold water valve needs to be replaced. I am too lazy to do that, as it still functions.
    I believe Thermadore is a division of Bosch. I am kinda partial to Bosch as the majority of my power tools collection is Bosch. (With occasional Makita and DeWalt for various reasons) and I kind of happy with that. Though now their cheaper stuff slipped a bit.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    So last year I got Bosch speed oven - combination microwave/convection, their regular wall oven, which is hardly used, their dishwasher, which works fine, but does not fully dry stuff, and Wolf cooktop, which is awesome.
    Now old refrigerator sticks out. But damn, all the better ones are stupid expensive.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckha62 View Post
    I wholeheartedly concur with Bosch for dishwasher and washer & dryer.

Interestingly, my neighbor was in the market for Washer&Dryer at the same time we were. She did all her Consumer Reports research and decided that Kenmore was the best. We bought Bosch. She had the service technician out three times in the first six months and 8 years later we have had absolutely no issues with our Bosches.

Still running strong.
    I replaced my washer and dryer last year with Kenmoore Pros and haven't had any issues whatsoever. Great products and not cheap either.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Picking up Wolf wall chimney hood VW36B with inline blower tomorrow. Spent a whole day in the attic prepping for installation of the remote blower. That's a *****y job. Would have hired somebody, but I am already out of the budget. Stupid fancy modern quite hood.

At least with quite blowing my wife will actually use it. Mmm.. quite blowing...
    Last edited by Axe; 09-08-2015 at 04:15 PM.

gobsmacked Moderator
    I replaced my washer and dryer last year with Kenmoore Pros and haven't had any issues whatsoever. Great products and not cheap either.
    I think Samsung makes the kenmore washers and dryers. I'll have to go check again but when I researched it, they had a spell when it was maytag and didn't perform as well. So Sears went back to Samsung. I'll double check and edit it I'm getting the manufacturer wrong. EDIT: IT'S LG that makes the Kenmore front loaders and Whirlpool that makes their top loaders.

Can somebody tell me why dishwasher ****ing take 2 hours? My old one that lasted since the 80s I bet only took 35 minutes? And it cleaned well and dried well. So what's going on in there?
    Last edited by girlonbike; 09-08-2015 at 05:20 PM.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by girlonbike View Post
    Can somebody tell me why dishwasher ****ing take 2 hours? My old one that lasted since the 80s I bet only took 35 minutes? And it cleaned well and dried well. So what's going on in there?
    Because your government can not trust you with buying electricity and water as much as you need. All the water and electricity efficiency regulations.

Stupid toilets bowls with extra "efficient" flush. That you have to use twice. Or efficient washers - where I always have to add an extra rinse cycle.

mtbr member
    I think Samsung makes the kenmore washers and dryers. I'll have to go check again but when I researched it, they had a spell when it was maytag and didn't perform as well. So Sears went back to Samsung. I'll double check and edit it I'm getting the manufacturer wrong.
    I actually think its LG but does Samsung make LG?

gobsmacked Moderator
    I actually think its LG but does Samsung make LG?
    You are correct! I got on a computer and did a check. It's LG that makes their front loaders and Whirlpool that makes their top loaders! I forgot about that brand for some reason. I'll go back and edit my post. thanks!

And Axe, I'm not sure how 3x the time is saving water or electricity?

Maaaaan
    I think Samsung makes the kenmore washers and dryers. I'll have to go check again but when I researched it, they had a spell when it was maytag and didn't perform as well. So Sears went back to Samsung. I'll double check and edit it I'm getting the manufacturer wrong. EDIT: IT'S LG that makes the Kenmore front loaders and Whirlpool that makes their top loaders.

My Maytag, yes it's a POS, only runs for a half hour. Are you sure it isn't set for tough scrub, or sanitize etc?
    Or whatever equivalents on your machine.
    Communist Party Member Since 1917.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    And Axe, I'm not sure how 3x the time is saving water or electricity?
    I have no idea, but that was Bosch's explanation. Same for their clothes washer. Uses little water and just keep splashing it..

Yeah, there is a quick mode. Does not clean well.

saddlemeat
    ^The modern efficient dishwashers don't use electric heat for drying, and use soaking time instead of lots of active hot water time, so it's a trade off of more time for less electricity consumed.
    I ride with the best dogs.

I'm just messing with you
    My experience is that a dishwasher will last near forever but the racks will rust to death in a couple of years. Consider that on any model with coated metal racks.
    Chasing bears through the woods drunk with a dull hatchet is strongly not advised

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    That was the case before Whirlpool figured they've cornered the market and the Industry got warranties reduced to one year. Now lotsa stuff is junk. Miele is was we got(off CL) when the houses 35 year old Hobart Kitchenaid went. Everything is cleaner too.
    Miele washer with a gas dryer. If you want really good American- Speed Queen front loads. But they are expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by wv_bob View Post
    My experience is that a dishwasher will last near forever but the racks will rust to death in a couple of years. Consider that on any model with coated metal racks.

I'm just messing with you
    BTW I didn't read the whole thread but you're not going to buy into the concept of internet connected appliances are you?

https://twitter.com/internetofshit
    Chasing bears through the woods drunk with a dull hatchet is strongly not advised

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Now they're made by LG and might be fine. A few years ago, they were made by Whirlpool.
    Goya! It's got what plants crave. It's got electrolytes. Livin in an Idiocracy.

Rabid Lana Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Axe View Post
    So last year I got Bosch .... their dishwasher, which works fine, but does not fully dry stuff...
    Do you use a drying agent? I didn't when we first got ours, and noticed this, too.

Started using a drying agent, and now the dishes dry really well.
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt I here
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt II here

gobsmacked Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Axe View Post
    I have no idea, but that was Bosch's explanation. Same for their clothes washer. Uses little water and just keep splashing it..

Yeah, there is a quick mode. Does not clean well.
    I gave up on the quick mode after trying it twice.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by net wurker View Post
    Do you use a drying agent? I didn't when we first got ours, and noticed this, too.

Started using a drying agent, and now the dishes dry really well.
    My wife thinks spraying plates with drying agents sounds yucky. I do not argue with her.

It is not that it is all damp. Cracking door open for a minute before unloading seems to get it dry enough.

OK, now need to go pick the hood, finally. Researching what sort of sound dampening I can put on pipes to make the attic installed blower even quieter. Maybe I should glue some of that stuff on my wife and kids as well.

Members who have read this thread: 0