since 4/10/2009

What am I getting myself into?

With graduation looming, the wife and I began looking for jobs elsewhere. My wife found one in Indianapolis and they could not wait until I finished, so she begins Monday. We are trying to sell our house, and we cannot afford two homes, so my wife is staying at my parents' house until we can save enough. We leave for Indy on Fri. I called my folks to take care of some details tonight and my father told me that someone shot their house last night. Wtf? My mother's car gets stolen from the driveway a couple months ago, their house is broken into, and now this?

And my wife is going to be living in this place for a couple of months before I graduate? I have lived in less shady ghettos in the past with fewer issues. I am am unhappy that both my parents and my sister live in this neighborhood

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    sorry to hear that. that is nuts. i would be concerned too.

since 4/10/2009
    dad's curious if it was one of the kids involved in stealing my mom's car. or a friend or something. the DA filed a restraining order against them in case of retaliation...my mom's car was stolen right out of the driveway, so they know where my folks live.

the gun used was a .22, and they shot the wall. the trajectory suggests that whoever did it was standing on the sidewalk, but it also seems like it could also have been a drive-by. such a low-caliber weapon would be pretty quiet, so of course they didn't find the bullet until the next morning. a drive-by would also explain why they shot a wall and not a window.

mission: get my wife the F out of there ASAP.

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    who does a drive by on old people? that is insane.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill in Houston View Post
    who does a drive by on old people? that is insane.
    my folks aren't that old. they're just in their 50's...same age as a lot of folks around here.

but it is insane. but they won't be getting out of there anytime soon, since they were exceptionally poor financial planners.

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    sad situation.

Sweep the leg!
    I'd set up a trail camera and get the little focker on camera. We set them up routinely on isolated construction sites to catch thieves who come by at night. They can be set to record video or stills which have provided good detail of the faces and the trucks. You'd be surprised to know they don't cover the license plate. There's no flash to give it away and if you position it well they'll never see it.
    Authorities speculate that speed may have been a factor. They are also holding gravity and inertia for questioning.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Caffeine Powered View Post
    I'd set up a trail camera and get the little focker on camera. We set them up routinely on isolated construction sites to catch thieves who come by at night. They can be set to record video or stills which have provided good detail of the faces and the trucks. You'd be surprised to know they don't cover the license plate. There's no flash to give it away and if you position it well they'll never see it.
    trust me, I've already thought of this. I own two cameras already...one with an infrared flash. My master's research involved maintaining a network of 62 of them, also.

Problem with my folks' place is that there's not currently anywhere I can just put one and easily hide it so it could see people passing on the street or sidewalk. A location like that would involve some landscaping work, and I won't have that kind of time on this visit. A guy in my office just got a handful of 8MP models that are quite tiny and would be pretty easy to hide somewhere, but the kind of hiding I'd need would require some work no matter what kind of camera I used.

when I finish here and move in, though...I'll catch the bastards if they're still around.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Just place them inside the Windows of the house. No need to be sneaky when dealing with stupidity.

Is not amused
    Sad situation NateHawk, like another member suggested I would highly look into getting them a security set up. Not just with camera's but the whole set up with house security. Also sometimes hiding a camera isn't as good because the camera itself acts as a deterrent. A dog if possible just to let them know there are other people around. My neighborhood ranks #89 on America's most dangerous cities to live in. Both my neighbors have been burglarized not to mention I live less then a block away where all the thugs and delinquents inhabit. Guns shots every other day, swat teams doing road patrol. I know what your going through and it sucks. Best of luck.
    Yip yip yip nope nope nope

All fat, all the time.
    Man that stinks, hope you get something figured out & everyone stays safe.

Add in Indy traffic & that is why we built 40 mins south. Closer to good biking as well.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by xbombtrackx View Post
    Just place them inside the Windows of the house. No need to be sneaky when dealing with stupidity.
    A trail cam won't get useful pics of the sidewalk, and since those motion sensors are also PIR sensors (thermal differential) in many cases, they won't go off through a window.

As for security, yeah, our current house has a nice system. My parents...they will never get one. They just don't care enough. Plus, the house is a bit of a dump, frankly.

Outside looks fine, but inside has not been kept up. If they won't do that for the house, I would never expect them to get a security system.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark View Post
    Man that stinks, hope you get something figured out & everyone stays safe.

Add in Indy traffic & that is why we built 40 mins south. Closer to good biking as well.
    Indy traffic has nothing on Houston. I got stuck in a 5hr traffic jam there once.

We are still trying to figure out the future home situation. Currently thinking about some neighborhoods in the city but maybe not depending on a few things.

All fat, all the time.
    We used to live in greenwood, not bad, low crime, stuff around, and close to downtown of that is your thing.
    North side is crazy traffic every single day (carmel, noblesville).

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark View Post
    We used to live in greenwood, not bad, low crime, stuff around, and close to downtown of that is your thing.
    North side is crazy traffic every single day (carmel, noblesville).
    I avoid that mess when I can. my grandparents ALMOST live in Carmel, but not quite. that stretch of Meridian St. between 465 and and where it merges with Keystone is a mess. I see Keystone has these new odd interchanges north of 96th St. haven't seen them in person, but I see them on Google Maps.

Members who have read this thread: 0